The Faceless GM's Irrisen: The Realm of Winter Campaign (Inactive)

Game Master kamenhero25


1,051 to 1,100 of 2,189 << first < prev | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | next > last >>

R20 Half-elven Rogue/Bard 3 (VMC)//Trickster 1 HP (31/31) IP (1/1) MP (5/5)
Stats:
AC/Touch/Flat/CMD 21/15/16/16 | Fort/Ref/Will +04/09e/02 | Init +05
Skills:
+14: DD; +11: Stealth, Acrobatics; +8: Perception, K(Dun, Loc), L(Heroes); +7: P(Oratory), Linguistics, A(Stories); 5: K(History, Geo)

With the conversation finished, Inire slips over to the collected goods, and begins to look over the more unusual objects, looking for hints of what makes them special or unique. She's not a good judge of value, though. She gives each a cursory glance to ensure they're not dangerous (Perception 17), then after doing that, goes into greater detail. (Perception 8-27)

"Eve..? Would you like to help me take a look at these things?"


Female Human Mesmerist 3, AC/FF/T 16/13/13, Initiative +3, HP 23/33 CMD: 14

Evelyn shrugs and looks over the items like she's asked but is a little disheartened to see some of the items have already gone missing but doesn't comment on it.

Appraise: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20

After a quick over look she tells Mouse her estimate on how much the remaining items will sell for.


Universal Buffs: Nothing right now

None of the items seem to be dangerous, aside from the obvious weapons and poisons. However, she notices that the silver knife taken from Rohkar's room seems to have a small compartment in the hilt. A small vial is stored inside. Eve leans over, taking a look through the various items and examining a few of the items more closely. It doesn't take long to get a rough estimate of their value. She notices a few interesting details of the items. The ring is slim and feminine, clearly meant for a woman's finger, and the boots are of elven make.

- Gold Ingot = 50gp
- Silver Lady's Ring = 25 gp
- Three Tiger-Eye Stones = 10 gp each (30 gp total)
- Silver Dagger = 25 gp
- Fine Elven Boots = 15 gp


R20 Half-elven Rogue/Bard 3 (VMC)//Trickster 1 HP (31/31) IP (1/1) MP (5/5)
Stats:
AC/Touch/Flat/CMD 21/15/16/16 | Fort/Ref/Will +04/09e/02 | Init +05
Skills:
+14: DD; +11: Stealth, Acrobatics; +8: Perception, K(Dun, Loc), L(Heroes); +7: P(Oratory), Linguistics, A(Stories); 5: K(History, Geo)

Inire takes out the vial and puts it on the table, then closes the dagger up once more, and sets it on the table beside it.

"So... a hundred and forty-five gold? That's... actually a lot." she says, crossing her legs at the ankles under the table as she leans back. "I guess that means we could afford a lot of the things we'd need for the trip. I wonder who the things belonged to, though.."


HPs: 35; AC: 13 |Touch 11, FF 12; CMD: 12; Init: +1

After having identified those items which she could, Morgraine takes her leave of the group and goes in search of a fletcher to resupply her quiver of bolts and then to stock up on trail rations and nonperishable foods.


Universal Buffs: Nothing right now

Morgraine is quickly pointed to the general store for her general supplies and the blacksmith to find crossbow bolts. Luckily, both are right off of the town square and easily found by anyone. The blacksmith is currently working on Eirikr's spear, but his daughter is happy to pull anything you ask from their stock.


Female Aasimar (Angel-Blooded) Skald 3 / Marshal 1 | HP 34/34 {conditions: none} | MP 4/5 | AC 17 (Tch 11 FF 16) | F +5, R +3, W +5 | Init +3 | Perc +6, darkvision

@The Faceless GM : Did the priest burn every scroll or just the Animate Dead ones? Also, which skill would help us figuring how much Eirikr's cloak is worth (merely for accounting purposes, of course)?

With a portion of the gold swiftly finding its way back into the priest's pockets, the transaction is quickly concluded. Tiferet once again thanks the Elder and his wife, and returns to the Silver Stoat.

"Better not to dwell on it" she says stepping into the room, having overheard Inire's words. A shiver runs down her spine, the thought of the three rangers-turned-skeletons still vivid in her mind. "I can think of few things worse than being one of Rohkar's preys. Still, that doesn't mean they didn't have relatives or loved ones. People perhaps suffering the consequences of this unnatural chill even now. People we can still help if we shut down that accursed portal." It is a poor attempt at rationalizing, and Tiferet knows that. You can't save everyone.

"On a less depressing note" she says, laying the pouch of gold as well as the wooden box on the table, "Elder Natharen offered us a bounty for returning Rohkar's scrolls to him so that he could remove those vile rituals from the face of Golarion. There are 250 gold pieces in there, easily enough for our necessities; plus an assortment of medicinal ointments and bandages."


Universal Buffs: Nothing right now

Just the Animate Dead ones. His wife is a priestess of Sarenrae after all. And the spellcraft check to identify it probably would have given a value. It's 4000 gp.


R20 Half-elven Rogue/Bard 3 (VMC)//Trickster 1 HP (31/31) IP (1/1) MP (5/5)
Stats:
AC/Touch/Flat/CMD 21/15/16/16 | Fort/Ref/Will +04/09e/02 | Init +05
Skills:
+14: DD; +11: Stealth, Acrobatics; +8: Perception, K(Dun, Loc), L(Heroes); +7: P(Oratory), Linguistics, A(Stories); 5: K(History, Geo)

Inire nods slowly. "And we can always give the stuff back once we've won... and if we don't, I guess it doesn't matter." she says, after a moment. "Did you give him the weird scrolls that just outlined the rituals, as well? We found another potion or poison, if you're interested in looking at it. He had it hidden inside the dagger."


Female Aasimar (Angel-Blooded) Skald 3 / Marshal 1 | HP 34/34 {conditions: none} | MP 4/5 | AC 17 (Tch 11 FF 16) | F +5, R +3, W +5 | Init +3 | Perc +6, darkvision

"I guess you're right" Tiferet replies softly, smiling faintly despite herself.

I understand that they were just regular Lesser Animate Dead scrolls, albeit capable of creating variant skeletons... I hope I didn't allow a plot token to get destroyed, though with all the Spellcraft and Linguistics checks that we passed, we would have probably gotten a clue by now?

"About the scrolls... I did. Though academically intriguing, and probably worth a lot more gold in the right – or wrong – hands... I genuinely believe Golarion's a better place now that they've been destroyed" she says as she examines the vial of liquid in her hands. A drop in the ocean she thinks. But isn't the ocean made of drops?

Knowledge (nature): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14 or Knowledge (arcana): 7 + 8 = 15


Universal Buffs: Nothing right now

The only plot significance of the scrolls was in the way they were made. You didn't lose anything important.

Tif lifts up the vial and examines it closely, turning it over in her hands. She can tell that it's not magical and after a bit of examining, she concludes that it's yet another vial of poison, though it seems to be a different kind than any of the other vials. And she doesn't recognize the particular venom at a glance.


Female Aasimar (Angel-Blooded) Skald 3 / Marshal 1 | HP 34/34 {conditions: none} | MP 4/5 | AC 17 (Tch 11 FF 16) | F +5, R +3, W +5 | Init +3 | Perc +6, darkvision

"It looks like some kind of poison, which would fit both its location and its previous owner. But you probably already guessed that much" she says putting the vial back on the table. She spends some more time looking at it, biting her lip nervously; then, she shakes her head. "I'm afraid that's all I'm able to discern. It's different from the other ones, though; that much I can tell."


Female Human Mesmerist 3, AC/FF/T 16/13/13, Initiative +3, HP 23/33 CMD: 14

"Not a fan of any poison but we might be able to sell it in the right setting, we do need to get moving again soon. I know we need supplies and get rid of the things we don't need but the longer we wait the less likely Vosi will still be alive."


R20 Half-elven Rogue/Bard 3 (VMC)//Trickster 1 HP (31/31) IP (1/1) MP (5/5)
Stats:
AC/Touch/Flat/CMD 21/15/16/16 | Fort/Ref/Will +04/09e/02 | Init +05
Skills:
+14: DD; +11: Stealth, Acrobatics; +8: Perception, K(Dun, Loc), L(Heroes); +7: P(Oratory), Linguistics, A(Stories); 5: K(History, Geo)

Mouse smiles a little as Evelyn picks up the conversation where they had left it off, earlier. "While it could be considered cowardly to use poisons, it's ultimately something that has its own benefits... given the opportunity. Provided you don't accidentally poison yourself, you can reasonably use poisons to stop foes that would otherwise be daunting... or, alternately, stop a fight before it starts, if you've picked the proper poison. I... don't really know much about them, but I definitely have nothing against them... other than that their cost is prohibitive. They won't work very reliably on beasts, but somewhat ironically, they're some of the better targets. A poison that damages the faculties can stop wild animals in their tracks, should they work, allowing them to be relocated, rather than outright killed." She pauses for a moment, "Though, truth-be-told, most people would rather eat the animal than relocate it." she says with a small shrug.


Female Aasimar (Angel-Blooded) Skald 3 / Marshal 1 | HP 34/34 {conditions: none} | MP 4/5 | AC 17 (Tch 11 FF 16) | F +5, R +3, W +5 | Init +3 | Perc +6, darkvision

"Whatever gives me a tactical advantage while minimizing suffering to both parties is good enough in my book" Tiferet chimes in following Inire's cue. "I'll leave talks of cowardice and honour to boastful noblemen who never spilled a drop of blood in their lives. Or to those precious paragons of virtue who happen to be both better warriors and better people than me... of whom there are probably plenty."


[img] [sheet] Female Elven Tiefling Spelldancer 3 / Mythic Champion 1 HP: 32 AC: 17 Touch: 13 FF: 14 CMD: 18 INI: +3

Nathara comes back into the Silver Stoat, smiles friendly to the host and greets him and takes a seat to the others.

"Poison has something deceptive about. It's hard to notice at first, but creeps into you... It can be as deadly as a blow with the sword or being shot with an arrow, but isn't remotely as apparent. But you're right, we must do whatever we can to subdue our enemies, lest this land succumbs to the grim hold of winter as well."

She runs her finger through her hair and considers what to do next. The spell book or equipment maintenance? She realizes with a smirk that she already made her decision as her claws trace the linings along the cover of the necromancers spell book. "So... let's have a look inside a dark soul, shall we?" she mumbles, more to herself as she opens it carefully.

"Oh, I have made arrangements for some equipment to be prepared for us at the general store. One-hundred and twenty-three gold pieces. And a few silver. But it should be worth it where we are going. While I can withstand the cold better than most I am still not fond of freezing and for some of you the bitter cold is more than an inconvenience." She gives Tiferet an excusing nod. "Not that a land taken and choked by ice and hearts colder and harder than that was merely an inconvenience."

"Anyway. We will still need a horse from the local stables to carry all the gear. We can't burden ourselves with that much equipment while we expect to fight. A sturdy one that may carry the stuff and deal with the cold - does any of you have experience with horses?"

She continues to skip through the pages, listens to comments of the others and mumbles arcane words every now and then. Morgraine's magical talents have piqued her curiosity... she casts spells not so very unlike Nathara herself, or a wizard for that's worth. And yet... her abilities and schooling appear different. Nathara wonders what to make out of this, but to ask her about might be an invasion into the young human's privacy. She cast the thought aside as her eyes traced the symbols and she unconsciously cast a Read Magic spell.


Female Aasimar (Angel-Blooded) Skald 3 / Marshal 1 | HP 34/34 {conditions: none} | MP 4/5 | AC 17 (Tch 11 FF 16) | F +5, R +3, W +5 | Init +3 | Perc +6, darkvision

Funnily enough, Tiferet became an expert on horses two days ago, when Versatile Performance kicked in. Apparently, she figured there's some similarity between them and drums. Better not to dwell too much on that.

"Yeah, the Winter War was kind of a bummer. Ice and cold, though... I've never felt more alive in my life than when my legs were sinking knee deep in the snow" she says in a somewhat dreamy voice.

She quickly snaps out of it, however. "With the ransom Elder Natharen paid for bringing him Rohkar's scrolls, I believe we should have enough money to cover these expenses. If you wish, I'll go look for a horse while you study, Nath. I... believe I have a thing with animals. At least, Ashen thinks I do."

With that, she takes her leave from the group once again. She's a bit concerned for Nathara as she starts browsing the tome, but if there's someone who could be safely entrusted with such a text, that would be a worshipper of Sarenrae. Nath is too pure to let its vileness taint her.

Now that I think of it, it's weird for Rohkar to have owned a spellbook. Given the holy symbol, the armour and the sword I pictured him as a cleric rather than a wizard. Were the Animate Dead scrolls arcane or divine in nature (assuming the spellcraft check detected such a thing)?

Also, Tiferet would go looking for a stable.


Universal Buffs: Nothing right now

Based on his men's reactions, they clearly thought Rohkar was a wizard. However, the scrolls were all divine in nature...

As Nathara begins to examine Rohkar's spell book, it immediately becomes apparent that something is wrong. None of the spells he cast are present in the book, which only has a few spells to begin with. She is able to identify the spells alarm, chill touch, expeditious retreat, feather fall, identify, locate object, and ray of enfeeblement but no spells meant to raise the dead from their graves.

Tiferet steps out again, heading down the street. There is a stable at the end of the main street, not far from the Stoat. When she arrives, a young woman is grooming a mare and seems rather focused on her work.


R20 Half-elven Rogue/Bard 3 (VMC)//Trickster 1 HP (31/31) IP (1/1) MP (5/5)
Stats:
AC/Touch/Flat/CMD 21/15/16/16 | Fort/Ref/Will +04/09e/02 | Init +05
Skills:
+14: DD; +11: Stealth, Acrobatics; +8: Perception, K(Dun, Loc), L(Heroes); +7: P(Oratory), Linguistics, A(Stories); 5: K(History, Geo)

Tempo! It's all about tempo! As long as you don't pass 5/4, the horse will gladly do whatever you like!

Inire nods at that; poison was intrinsically deceptive... and fickle. It would be just as happy to poison you as it was your target. "I... don't. Have any idea how to handle horses, I mean." she says, before looking towards Evelyn, and tilting her head to ask an unspoken question. She did work with a caravan, after all.


Female Aasimar (Angel-Blooded) Skald 3 / Marshal 1 | HP 34/34 {conditions: none} | MP 4/5 | AC 17 (Tch 11 FF 16) | F +5, R +3, W +5 | Init +3 | Perc +6, darkvision

Lol I'll try to remember that. I hope Versatile Performance doesn't mean that Tiferet has continuously bang the horse's galloping rhythm on her drums to prevent him from stopping...

"Err... Miss?" Tiferet says hesitantly after standing there silently for a short while, unwilling to disturb the lady's work. "I was looking for a horse. Or a mule, even better. A sturdy, strong beast, if possible. One which would be able to carry heavy burdens even over harsh terrains, and freezing climates to boot. We're leaving for the Border Wood in a short while, and it's only going to get colder from there on."

Handle Animal: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21 to assess which animal would be better suited to our needs. It would be a 20 if it were a Kn. (nature) check instead (+7 modifier).


Universal Buffs: Nothing right now

The woman turns around at the sound of Tiferet's voice. "Wha... oh, welcome. You need a good pack horse then. Let's see..." She hangs her brush up against one of the stalls and walks over to one of the other stalls. "Alright, how about this one?" She brings out a broad shouldered mare with a chestnut coat. At a glance, Tiferet can tell that the beast isn't trained for combat, but could serve quite well as a beast of burden or for riding in a more peaceful scenario. The horse has also been exquisitely cared for and looks extremely healthy and strong. "This is Lily. She's been around for a bit, and could serve you well, as long as you care for her properly."


HPs: 35; AC: 13 |Touch 11, FF 12; CMD: 12; Init: +1

Her quiver and food stores restored, Morgraine returns to the common room of the inn. The fair-haired woman sits across from Nathara and darns a hole in one of her spare socks. "Find anything interesting in there?" she asks absently.


Female Human Mesmerist 3, AC/FF/T 16/13/13, Initiative +3, HP 23/33 CMD: 14

Evelyn shrugs. "No idea I didn't deal with the horses much but just a pack mule shouldn't be much trouble." if she's able to get a moment with Mouse alone she'd try to get her away.

If they find privacy

"I was asking around town and the locals say the woman we rescued has been acting strange, I don't know if she is just dealing with everything that has happened or has other plans but we need to keep an eye on her."


Female Aasimar (Angel-Blooded) Skald 3 / Marshal 1 | HP 34/34 {conditions: none} | MP 4/5 | AC 17 (Tch 11 FF 16) | F +5, R +3, W +5 | Init +3 | Perc +6, darkvision

Tiferet gently caresses the mare's side, slowly following the pattern of powerful muscles up to her neck. There, her hand stays, her eyes closed as she feels the animal's mighty heartbeat. She stands motionless for a while, allowing the mare to get acquainted with her presence while at the same time gauging her strength, then turns to look the woman in the eyes, smiling.

"Lily will be perfect" she says. "We will also need a caparison to shield her from the cold, and at least a week's worth of fodder... How much would that be?"


R20 Half-elven Rogue/Bard 3 (VMC)//Trickster 1 HP (31/31) IP (1/1) MP (5/5)
Stats:
AC/Touch/Flat/CMD 21/15/16/16 | Fort/Ref/Will +04/09e/02 | Init +05
Skills:
+14: DD; +11: Stealth, Acrobatics; +8: Perception, K(Dun, Loc), L(Heroes); +7: P(Oratory), Linguistics, A(Stories); 5: K(History, Geo)

Inire separates from the others to join Evelyn to listen, and nods a little. "I'm not sure there's anything unusual... given where I come from, everything is either very tame, or very wild. But... the princesses in my storybook showed a lot more... distress. Either she has had excellent training as an actor, or nobles just expect to be kidnapped at least once in their life. I'm not really certain of which is more frightening." she says, lips pursed, eyes cast aside in thought.


[img] [sheet] Female Elven Tiefling Spelldancer 3 / Mythic Champion 1 HP: 32 AC: 17 Touch: 13 FF: 14 CMD: 18 INI: +3

A friendly gleam comes out of the corner of her blazing red eyes as Morgraine asks about the spell book.

"Quite interesting indeed, she replies. Very handy spells, little for direct assault, but a lot support." She shoves her chair a little closer to Morgraine so that she can look into the spell book with her.

"Here... Alarm..." she traces the complex linings with her fingers. "Not as I would have formulated it, it's very... minimal without the artful flourishes most elves would use, so to say. Yet the complexity of magic itself remains of course."

She skips over Chill Touch, knowing full well that it is quite popular with many spell dancers and human sword magi. But it is necromancy, it does channel the essence of death and decay in doze so emphasized that it becomes power on its own, rather than just the absence of life.

"Locate object... can be very handy, but only under very particular circumstances. I am curious why he learned that. Did he try to find something in particular?"

She skips a few pages back and does not mention Ray of Enfeeblement. "Here. This is..." she traces a spiral of arcane symbols which are arranged in a way to remind of the golden cut. "Expeditious retreat. Not that it could not be used for other means than retreating - it makes the caster insanely quick on his feat; even without an actual spell we spell dancers know how to use magic to move with the grace of being aligned with the world's innate magic. But this is even a lot faster; a human being could probably run twice as fast as it normally can with this."

She looks up to Morgraine with curiosity. "Does this mean anything to you? I can show you my own spell book if you like."


R20 Half-elven Rogue/Bard 3 (VMC)//Trickster 1 HP (31/31) IP (1/1) MP (5/5)
Stats:
AC/Touch/Flat/CMD 21/15/16/16 | Fort/Ref/Will +04/09e/02 | Init +05
Skills:
+14: DD; +11: Stealth, Acrobatics; +8: Perception, K(Dun, Loc), L(Heroes); +7: P(Oratory), Linguistics, A(Stories); 5: K(History, Geo)

Dont forget, chill touch also drives undead away. It's one of the few things a magus has in their spell book against undead. Aside from the stuff that works on everything. Which is good enough to not need chill touch. :) I'm just not sure all necromancy is banned. Astral Projection, Calm Spirit, Gentle Repose, and Disrupt Undead to name a few. I'd definitely include Chill Touch in this group. But, I'm not sure how accurate it really is.

"I would have expected more aggressive spells from a follower of Norgorber... or would it be more subtle? Maybe both?" she asks as she overheard the talk, quite thankful for the explanation of what each spell does; she's fairly hit or miss with that sort of thing. Mostly miss.

"Do any of you know Norgorber's... errr... virtues is the wrong word. The things he enjoys. Purviews?"


Universal Buffs: Nothing right now

The stable owner nods. "Let's see... I assume you'll need a set of saddlebags to load her up as well." She counts off on her fingers for a moment, then nods to herself. "Alright, that will be 80 gold for the lot."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
[img] [sheet] Female Elven Tiefling Spelldancer 3 / Mythic Champion 1 HP: 32 AC: 17 Touch: 13 FF: 14 CMD: 18 INI: +3

Nathara sorts her words before she answers. "I must confess, there are two necromantic spells in here which I did not mention. But... nothing of the sort that fills the remainders of life with unlife. Or traps a soul. Or separates it from its life energy, like with the fey. A spell to... severely weaken the subject and a spell that causes physical damage to a living creature. Quite popular amongst sword mages actually, because it can be easily channelled through a sword and then lingers for a while. Less useful for Rokhar, since he seemed to avoid melee..."

She pauses briefly, it files like an explanation regarding her reservations against magic is due. "Anyway, it is necromancy, it does channel 'entropic energy'. It's a bit contradictory a concept, because entropy is the absence of energy, or better the absence of structure. This negative energy is not just the absence of life force, it is its antithesis. It is... less than nothing, it has less of a distinct colour than perfect white. Or black. Less of melody than white noise. Or utter silence. It does not naturally occur in this universe, which makes it somewhat hard to grasp." She looks a little helpless. To communicate such concepts without years of learning, without the ability to see the structure of magic spanning the multiverse, it's difficult to put it words.

She looks into the spell book again and skips through it. "Nothing of this is particularly powerful. Nothing even remotely the same league as the creation of those undead we fought, particularly the very first one. Either he has yet a different spell book... or... that magic was not his own."


Female Aasimar (Angel-Blooded) Skald 3 / Marshal 1 | HP 34/34 {conditions: none} | MP 4/5 | AC 17 (Tch 11 FF 16) | F +5, R +3, W +5 | Init +3 | Perc +6, darkvision

Of all schools of magic, Necromancy gets a bad name by having the largest amount of spells with the subtype [evil] attached to it, but there's still quite a lot which are actually quite useful and far less morally despicable, like those Inire quoted and/or those present in that spellbook. Rohkar's repertoire, however, was firmly in the former group.

"Here they are" Tiferet says handing the woman the required sum. "If that's all right with you, I'll leave Lily in your care for a little bit longer then. Until we're ready to depart, that is."

"A pleasure doing business with you" she adds before politely saying her goodbyes.

She's back at the Silver Stoat just in time to overhear Nath's explanation of the spellbook's contents. Just going to chime in here, hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes. She stands silently by the door, not wanting to interrupt her friend, but as she speaks, a train of thought gradually takes shape in Tiferet's mind.

"Or it is that spellbook which is not his own. The scrolls we found – the ones Elder Natharen cleansed – they weren't arcane in nature. Rohkar's necromancy stemmed from a divine source. His devotion to Norgorber, most likely. I thought that having taken his spellbook away from him, his spellcasting would have been effectively neutralized. A fool's hope" she hisses, cursing herself.

That holy symbol – it was found among his possessions, but not on his person. No-one actually searched him. Which means...

"damn..." she whispers.

Specifically, Norgorber's clerics potentially have access to the Charm domain. Meaning a prison won't hold him for long.


HPs: 35; AC: 13 |Touch 11, FF 12; CMD: 12; Init: +1
Nathara wrote:
She looks up to Morgraine with curiosity. "Does this mean anything to you? I can show you my own spell book if you like."

Morgraine looks over the spellbook as Nathara goes over it and nods slowly at the question. "I am somewhat familiar with the spells you mention, by reputation if not necessarily direct experience."

A somewhat wistful expression crosses her features and she shakes her head softly. "I can read and understand from books such as this and, I presume, such as the spell book you keep. However, ultimately such tools are largely useless to me, for I cannot easily touch or use the arcane." "Such ability was stolen, taken from me," she thinks bitterly, though she kept that last bit to herself.

There is a noise from below the table where Kettu sits, and Morgraine suddenly looks down guiltily. ..not that I haven't received some recompense on that score, thanks to you my friend. Though no words pass between them, the creature seems mollified and Morgraine reaches below to pat her fox companion upon the head.

"Much that is considered necromancy is but a tool, and much as any other tool, can be turned to either good or evil ends. Of course, a good deal is also unsavory at best, and downright evil as well. But I think I might disagree on one point. Somewhere in the universe, the negative energy must exist. There must be some cause or application of circumstances which must produce and feed it, else it could not exist to be brought forth to materialize here on our world by the necromancer, no?"

She turns slightly as Tiferet speaks up from behind her. "A priest? That would explain the diversity in power of the scrolls and spell books we found. Perhaps this one here once belonged to a hapless arcanist that fell prey to him and his bandits.." Her eyes narrow. ".. and if he's not reliant on this book, he may not be quite as incapacitated as we assumed."


Female Aasimar (Angel-Blooded) Skald 3 / Marshal 1 | HP 34/34 {conditions: none} | MP 4/5 | AC 17 (Tch 11 FF 16) | F +5, R +3, W +5 | Init +3 | Perc +6, darkvision

"No" Tiferet dryly states. "He may not."

She's about to storm out of the tavern and to the town hall's cellars when she abruptly stops in her tracks, the memory of Nathara fleeing the battle in terror suddenly vivid in her mind. "We should check on him, just to be sure. But I'm reluctant to go alone."


HPs: 35; AC: 13 |Touch 11, FF 12; CMD: 12; Init: +1

Morgraine gets to her feet and stuffs her sock into a pocket. "Then we'll go."


[img] [sheet] Female Elven Tiefling Spelldancer 3 / Mythic Champion 1 HP: 32 AC: 17 Touch: 13 FF: 14 CMD: 18 INI: +3

Nathara listens Morgraine closely and is still sorting her thoughts when Tiferet's remark comes. For a moment she is shocked and her eyes stand wide open. But of course this has been some kind of ruse! The spell book does not even contain the one spell she knew Rokhar could speak. Nothing of this would incite the kind of panic she felt.

She put the book away. This was all her fault; if one takes prisoners, one must be careful about it. Hopefully this would not cost anyone's life. "Alright." She merely says and steps towards the door.

If everything was alright she should acquire a sample of his hand writing. And try to find out whose book this was - maybe it was his after all, but certainly not his only means to do magic.


Universal Buffs: Nothing right now

The three head quickly over to the town hall. The guard doesn't bother to stop you, recognizing all three of you on sight. You head downstairs to the jail and find Rohkar exactly where you left him in his cell. "Well well, another set of visitors in the same day," he says. "What did I do to merit this little get together?"


[img] [sheet] Female Elven Tiefling Spelldancer 3 / Mythic Champion 1 HP: 32 AC: 17 Touch: 13 FF: 14 CMD: 18 INI: +3

Nathara looks automatically over her shoulder. In a situation such as this the deadliest blade to wield is a tongue as that of the beautiful maiden Evelyn.

"I... we... were worried you would leave without saying good bye, that is all." She was wondering what the first who the first set of visitors was, but more concerned with securing the situation right now.

In elven she whispers the familiar formula for Detect Magic and takes a look around, particularly paying attention to the wardens. Additionally, in order to make sure that the scene is sufficiently illuminated and any ritualic signs or other unusual changes in the cell wold be become apparent, she casts a light spell.

She looks around for anyone who might have watched him. "What did the prisoner do since he was locked up in his cell?"


Female Aasimar (Angel-Blooded) Skald 3 / Marshal 1 | HP 34/34 {conditions: none} | MP 4/5 | AC 17 (Tch 11 FF 16) | F +5, R +3, W +5 | Init +3 | Perc +6, darkvision

Evelyn went to him earlier to look for clues about the nature of Morgraine and Mouse's illness - though Nathara was away preparing her spells when that happened.

"Just a friendly chat, that is all" Tirefet replies. "Earlier, I called you smart, but I'll freely admit - at the time I hadn't quite figured the extent of it." She sighs heavily. "Now, there are two ways we can do it. The nice one... and the not-so-nice one. Let's try the former first."

Casting Charm (Will DC 14)


Universal Buffs: Nothing right now

GM Rolls:
Will Save: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23
Bluff: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15

Rohkar chuckles. "How exactly would I do that? Your mousy little friend took my lockpicks and you took my spellbook. I'm not exactly overflowing with options for a jailbreak dearie."

The guard near the door, one of the sheriff's deputies if your memory is accurate, starts slightly at the question. "Huh? Nothin' at all really. He prayed not long before I brought them all breakfast, but that's it."

Nathara:
You detect no magic presence in the cell at all.

He looks over at Tiferet and smiles warmly. "What exactly are do you want to know?"


Female Aasimar (Angel-Blooded) Skald 3 / Marshal 1 | HP 34/34 {conditions: none} | MP 4/5 | AC 17 (Tch 11 FF 16) | F +5, R +3, W +5 | Init +3 | Perc +6, darkvision

I'm going by the CRB and assume Tiferet knows her spell was resisted. Correct me if you rule otherwise.

Tiferet feels Rohkar's will easily shrugging away the effects of her spell. She sighs once more, but truth be told, she was under no illusion her magic could overpower a mind which has likely spent years perfecting the arts of subtlety and misdirection.

"Spare me the act" she replies. "There was nothing in that spellbook which even remotely resembled your repertoire. Not to mention your scrolls had nothing to do with arcane magic."

She assumes a threatening pose. "That thing you did, pretend to toss all your stuff away so that we wouldn't search you, it was astute, I'll give you credit for that. But it's over now. So, will you strip willingly or do we have to come inside?"

Sense Motive: 1d20 ⇒ 18


[img] [sheet] Female Elven Tiefling Spelldancer 3 / Mythic Champion 1 HP: 32 AC: 17 Touch: 13 FF: 14 CMD: 18 INI: +3

Nathara does not want to take her eyes off Rokhar, so she only glances to the deputy. "Please stand back. The not-so-good Mister Rokhar successfully fooled us into believing he was an arcane caster. It was almost funny if I wasn't the fool in this story. He still might be able to cast divine spells, particularly if he has an holy symbol. Or the means to create one. That was why he prayed; deities grant magic to their followers while they pray to them."

To Rokhar she says. "I am an arcane caster and will turn this cell into your personal funeral pyre if you do anything that even remotely resembles casting a spell. Keep your hands so that we can see them!"

To Tiferet she whispers: "Don't let him use his hands, maybe it's better to make him grab the bars. Then we search him ourselves. I am pretty certain that my claws are a good motivation to keep calm."


Universal Buffs: Nothing right now

Rohkar just shrugs. "Worth a shot." He leans back against the wall of his cell, looking surprisingly smug for the man behind bars. "I admit, you're the first person to ever actually see through my little ruse. Even my men didn't have a clue. Makes it easier to keep things hidden if one of them does something stupid and gets caught." He glares at the other bandits through the bars between their cells and a few of them shy away from him.

He chuckles. "Oh, so you want me to strip for you? I admit, you and your little friends are cute, but I don't perform in front of an audience. Unless you're asking for a more private interrogation."


Female Human Mesmerist 3, AC/FF/T 16/13/13, Initiative +3, HP 23/33 CMD: 14

SM: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18

Evelyn looks between Nathara and Rohkar. "Both of you are terrible liars, You don't really have an option in this so let's just get it over with or let Erik eat him.

Bluff: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (8) + 15 = 23
Intimidate: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17


Universal Buffs: Nothing right now

Rohkar bursts out laughing. "Sure! Go right ahead and have your pet werewolf eat me! I'm sure the big heroes would love to go ahead and tear their helpless prisoner limb from limb!" The sheriff's deputy looks visibly uncomfortable at the thought and looks at the party carefully as they interrogate the bandit chief. However, the bandit chief strips off his outer coat, his gloves and his tunic, revealing his lean but muscular chest. He kicks his boots off and strips off his pants, leaving just his underwear. "Like what you see ladies?"


[img] [sheet] Female Elven Tiefling Spelldancer 3 / Mythic Champion 1 HP: 32 AC: 17 Touch: 13 FF: 14 CMD: 18 INI: +3

I don't understand... Nathara did not lie about anything...

Nathara looks a bit irritated to Evelyn for a moment - why would Evelyn call her Nathara a liar? - but quickly focuses on Rokhar again. "So far." she returns with a business-like attitude. "Turn around, please. And lifts your arms."

She carefully reaches for his clothes through the cell bars. Sideways to the guard she mentions: "A holy symbol may be no more than a tattoo."

Ready Action: Cast Burning Hands if I think he is trying to cast a spell


Female Aasimar (Angel-Blooded) Skald 3 / Marshal 1 | HP 34/34 {conditions: none} | MP 4/5 | AC 17 (Tch 11 FF 16) | F +5, R +3, W +5 | Init +3 | Perc +6, darkvision

"No one's eating anyone" Tiferet says trying to assuage the deputy's fears. "And we most surely do not have a pet werewolf in our midst." Though that last one only by a technicality, I'm afraid she thinks, not sounding neither too convinced nor too convincing.

Bluff: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8

As Rohkar puts up his little show, Tiferet regards it with barely an arched eyebrow, her distaste for the man clearly spoiling any appreciation she might have for what could have otherwise been considered a reasonably attractive male body.

"I think I'm in love" she responds, her voice oozing sarcasm. "No tip for you, though" she adds as she kneels down to search his discarded clothes, fervently hoping she and Nathara won't have to go any further in their inspection.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Skinwalker (Witchwolf) Lunar Oracle 3/Guardian 1 HP: 37 AC: 15 CMD: 15 Initiative: +1

"Where wolves? Probably out in the forest. Where else would wolves be," says Eirikr, knowing perfectly well what is actually being talked about but hoping that a confirmed necromancer would be of more concern than a possible werewolf.

"What, you're not going to take everything off? Still have something to hide?" says Eirikr with a toothy grin as Rohkar finishes undressing. "Hmm. I've seen worse."


Universal Buffs: Nothing right now

GM Rolls:
Guard Sense Motive: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12
Tif Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19

The guard looks a little more uncomfortable and shifts away from the party a bit, edging toward the door slightly.

Rohkar grins. "Pity. I could use some coin to pay my bail." He glances at Eirikr and outright laughs. "Didn't know you swung that way lad." He leans against the back wall of his cell, out of reach of the party and well away from his pile of clothing as Tif reaches down to examine them. She digs through his clothing and discovers that Rohkar did in fact manage to smuggle a knife in, hidden in the sole of his left boot, but there's no sign of any kind of holy symbol among his clothing.


R20 Half-elven Rogue/Bard 3 (VMC)//Trickster 1 HP (31/31) IP (1/1) MP (5/5)
Stats:
AC/Touch/Flat/CMD 21/15/16/16 | Fort/Ref/Will +04/09e/02 | Init +05
Skills:
+14: DD; +11: Stealth, Acrobatics; +8: Perception, K(Dun, Loc), L(Heroes); +7: P(Oratory), Linguistics, A(Stories); 5: K(History, Geo)

During all of this, Mouse is sitting comfortably in the second story, not doing anything of particular interest, just checking her notes in her Diary, and listening for any sounds of actual danger. Assuming that she would hear it... and that six people down in the bottom of the building would be exceedingly... odd.


Female Aasimar (Angel-Blooded) Skald 3 / Marshal 1 | HP 34/34 {conditions: none} | MP 4/5 | AC 17 (Tch 11 FF 16) | F +5, R +3, W +5 | Init +3 | Perc +6, darkvision

Would spending a full minute taking 20 have yielded a different result? If not...

"I guess so" Tiferet interjects in response to Eirikr's appreciation. "Though not much worse. Also, murderous psychopaths are usually not my type – he's all yours if you wish" she adds grinning, casually tossing the knife away.

"So. I suppose it's the not-so-nice way after all" she threateningly says turning to Rohkar, loudly cracking her knuckles.

Intimidate: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21

"Nathara, Eirikr and I will step into the cell. If you could be so gentle as to open it..." she tells the deputy. This is probably what he wanted from the beginning. "Once we're in, waste no time closing it behind us. And by the Heavens, whatever he does, whatever might happen to us – don't open it."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27 to get the frightened deputy to cooperate


Universal Buffs: Nothing right now

I'm going to say no taking 10 or 20 on this.

Rohkar looks distinctly unimpressed. "A witch told me under no uncertain terms that I work of her now. No matter how much you threaten me, she's still more intimidating than you."

The guard jumps to open the cell, his dislike for the bandit overriding his hesitance at the people who have promised to save his town. "Please don't rough him up more than you have to. I could get in trouble if he's hurt while I'm on watch. Or at least patch him up when you're done."

1,051 to 1,100 of 2,189 << first < prev | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Faceless GM's Irrisen: The Realm of Winter Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.