The Beginning of the End: A Pawn's Dilemma

Game Master caster4life

Current map
Maze map
Loot sheet
XP tracker


1 to 50 of 1,454 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

You wake in the city of Waterdeep, a cold sweat on your forehead. Whatever business you had planned today is wiped from your mind by last night’s dream. Visions of blood, a heinous sacrifice, and a maw full of crooked fangs. Then the glowing white face of a terrifyingly beautiful woman floats into view. She speaks softly ”You can end this. Find the lowest point in the city. My blessing will be with you. And I will send others to join you. They'll meet you at the sewer grate behind the Laughing Giant.” Then you woke, feeling more capable than you ever have before, ready to head to the general store mentioned by the Lady.


Superiority Dice: 3/4
Combat:
HP 27/36 | AC 18 | Saves STR +6 DEX -1 CON +4 INT +5 WIS +2 CHA -1 | spd 30 | Perc. +2; Pass. 12 | LG Human Fighter / Wizard 4 | HD 0/4 1d10+2 | Insp. 0/1 | Init: +2 | Effects:

Horat awakens in a cold sweat, and leaps to his feet, a combat stance readied. The man is a slim six-foot tall figure, with sallow skin and deep brown eyes. He shaves all hair from his body, as he was raised to in the Untherite nobility. He is very exact in his movements, if a little slow.

And while shaken by the vision, he feels...

Different. What is different?

His eye is drawn beyond his trusty halberd and armour, to the book. That frustrating trophy of war that has defied his efforts to understand.

He steps over, and opens it. And to the Untherite's astonishment, the book's contents are now clear to him.

This is a blessing indeed!

Horat grabs the book and reads it by the wan light, too consumed to bother with clothing. He has spells to commit to memory, and they fly in.

When dawn comes, I shall bear arms and spells to hunt the demons!, Horat vows, viewing that general store as a stepping stone to worthy deeds.


HP 1/15 | AC 14 | Init. +3| Saves STR -1 DEX +5 CON +1 INT +4 WIS +0 CHA +5| spd 30 | Perc. +2; Pass. 12 LG Human Rogue / Bard 2 | HD 1/2 | Insp. 0/1 | Effects: None
Combat:
rapier +5 (1d8+3) | longsword +0 (1d8+0) | shortbow +5 (1d6+3) [20/20] | Bardic Inspiration 1/3 | Sneak Attack 1d6| Spell Slots(0)/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-

Gram startles out of in a fright and stumbles across the room to his armoire, where he retrieves his rapier and horn. He stands vigilant against an unseen enemy, ready to strike with steel or melody--whichever the situation calls for.

After a few moments, he relaxes.

"No one's here"

He takes a cursory look around the room, looking for any signs of entry, or evidence of a visitor in the night...

"No one's been here, but me all night"

Gram collects himself and begins to get dressed. He dons his armor puts on his City Watch uniform. He stows his weapons and hangs his custom Watch horn on his belt. He ponders the nature of his dream as he heads out...

"Was it just a dream? No. Not even I could imagine scenes of such horror."

A vision?
A message?
A trap?
An inciting incident!
No matter the case, I know where I'll find my answer"

He begins to whistle a familiar tune from one of his favorite musicals as he treks through the streets of Waterdeep, making his way to the Laughing Giant.


Combat:
longsword +6 (1d8+6) | warhammer +6 (1d8+6) | Rage 1/3 | Divine Fury +1d6+2 R |Second Wind 1/1 | Action surge 1/1
HP 45/45 | AC 19 | Saves STR +6 DEX +2 CON +5 INT -1 WIS +0 CHA +0 | spd 30; Init. +2 |Perc. +2; Pass. 12 | NG Half-orc Barbarian / Fighter 4 | HD 1/4 | Insp. 0/1 | Effects: None

Halgrin startled awake, and fell off the chair he had dozed off on the previous night.

"What in the hells," he muttered after he composed himself. What a weird dream.

Halgrin stared at his door where his guard uniform hung. His probabation ended in a few days. And then he could go back to being a guard. Something he was becoming increasingly unsure about.

Halgrin rubbed the back of his neck. And felt the cold sweat that soaked through his nightshirt. He sighed and then went to rinse himself clean from a bowl of cool, clean water that he had set out the night before.

It was just a dream. It had to be.

And yet...

Halgrin got dressed, and went to find the Laughing Giant.

What do I know about the Laughing Giant? If it has a checkered history, my Background benefit should help with this.

History: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (17) + 0 = 17


Great question, Halgrin. And nice roll.

Halgrin recalls that the Laughing Giant's history is approximately as checkered as most shops in this lower middle-class part of town. They've been suspected to fence some questionable goods here and there but the watch hasn't yet seen fit to shut them down. As you walk behind the shop, you see a tall bald human, a bulky half-orc, a human wearing spectacles, and a Dwarven female.

Good description so far but keep it coming! Let's really get to know what you guys look like.

You all seem to have converged on the crooked little alley way at the same time. You eye each other uncertainly as you hear the slight trickle of the sewer echoing from the grate beneath you. The piles of broken crates in the alley help keep passersby from noticing you to easily from the street.

What do you do?


Combat:
longsword +6 (1d8+6) | warhammer +6 (1d8+6) | Rage 1/3 | Divine Fury +1d6+2 R |Second Wind 1/1 | Action surge 1/1
HP 45/45 | AC 19 | Saves STR +6 DEX +2 CON +5 INT -1 WIS +0 CHA +0 | spd 30; Init. +2 |Perc. +2; Pass. 12 | NG Half-orc Barbarian / Fighter 4 | HD 1/4 | Insp. 0/1 | Effects: None

Halgrin opted not to wear his guard uniform. Instead he was dressed like most commoners. But with his broadsword hanging on his hip, and a light shield strapped on his back, he probably looked like some sort of fencer. Or worse, like one of those idiotic adventurers that were always mucking things up for the city.

He eyed the other people there warily. He was quiet for a moment, but then he straightened up and spoke with authority.

“Alright, I know a bunch of rat-catchers when I see ‘em,” he said, using the slang term for “adventurer” most of the City Watch used. “So who here decided it was a good idea to use magic to send me dream messages? Trying to magically influence the mind of a City Watchman is a major crime. If you cooperate fully, I can suggest leniency to the magistrate.”


HP 1/15 | AC 14 | Init. +3| Saves STR -1 DEX +5 CON +1 INT +4 WIS +0 CHA +5| spd 30 | Perc. +2; Pass. 12 LG Human Rogue / Bard 2 | HD 1/2 | Insp. 0/1 | Effects: None
Combat:
rapier +5 (1d8+3) | longsword +0 (1d8+0) | shortbow +5 (1d6+3) [20/20] | Bardic Inspiration 1/3 | Sneak Attack 1d6| Spell Slots(0)/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-

The bespectacled human speaks up, responding to the Half-orc's address...

<"Snadný můj přítel">

Orcish:
Easy, my friend

"I assure you I have no ability to affect peoples dreams, and as you can see, I'm no adventurer" He raises his arms as if to say "see". And you see before you a human, about 6'2", with dark skin and black hair. As he welcomes the visual inspection, he sports a friendly smile across his 5'o'clock shadowed face. He's relatively young, and well kempt, though he does nothing to hide the specks of gray throughout his beard. Though the sides of his head are shaved, the hair on top of his hair is styled in dread locks of about 8" in length that flow backwards to the back of his neck. I couldn't find an avatar to represent this but its what I see in my head. Like Erik Killmonger. Let me know if that's confusing.

He's wearing a blue uniform that everyone should recognize as a Waterdeep City Watch uniform. The insignia on the left chest, consists of two black "slashes" in the shape of an "X" which Halgrin would recognize as denoting the rank of Sword-captain. However, there is a white circle at the end of one of the slashes (making it look like a magnifying glass) that further marks Gram as an Investigator.

Gram lowers his arms, lifts his glasses onto his nose, and continues to speak. "Your mention of dreams is at once relieving and troubling. It means that I was right to come here, but it also means that it wasn't just a dream.

He turns to the others.
"Were you likewise sent here by visions in the night? You aren't watchmen too, are you?"


Combat:
longsword +6 (1d8+6) | warhammer +6 (1d8+6) | Rage 1/3 | Divine Fury +1d6+2 R |Second Wind 1/1 | Action surge 1/1
HP 45/45 | AC 19 | Saves STR +6 DEX +2 CON +5 INT -1 WIS +0 CHA +0 | spd 30; Init. +2 |Perc. +2; Pass. 12 | NG Half-orc Barbarian / Fighter 4 | HD 1/4 | Insp. 0/1 | Effects: None

Halgrin paused at the uniform. He should have noticed it earlier. In the end though, he saluted.

"Sorry, Captain. Didn't notice the blues," he said with a sheepish tone. "I'm Halgrin, Sword of the City Watch. Currently off-duty and confused as hell."

He then waited a moment to see what the others had to say.


Current Damage: --0 |
Cleric Spell Slots:
4 (4) / 2 (2)
|
Artificer Spell Slots:
2 (2)
| Insp [ ] LG Hill Dwarf Cleric/Artificer 3 Max HP: 24 | AC: 19 | Saves: Str: +2; Dex: -1; Con: +4; Int: +4; Wis: +5; Cha: +1 | Init: -1| Alchemist Save DC: 12; Cleric Save DC: 13

Leaping to her feet after the dream, Katra donned her gear (which consisted of Chainmail armor, a shield, a Warhammer, and a fully loaded pack, with a large pouch hanging from the hip that her shield arm sat on) and immediately made her way towards the sewer grate.

tromping downstairs, she paused to look at herself in the mirror behind the bar: Long hair pulled back into a bun, with only her maiden's braid hanging from one side of her head; smooth skin met her round eyes, which showed their usual mis-matched colors: the left green like jade, and the right blue as a sapphire, both of which twinkled with excitement; Her tabard-less armor and shield which bore the holy symbol of Moradin were both polished to a sheen, and she carried a helmet tucked into the crook of her shield arm

To her eyes, she looked every bit the adventurer. Turning, she made her way out into the streets, asking for directions as she went, until she arrived at front of the Laughing Giant. Not bothering to enter the rather seedy-looking place, she instead entered the alley and made her way around back. She was startled to see others, until she remembered that the dream has said that she would have others meet here there.

As she approached, she said "Greetings. My name is Katra Ironfist, priestess of Moradin and adventurer." she put particular emphasis on the last word, as if it held significance for her.


I'm sure Horat will introduce himself soon. Given the site issues, I'm just trying to get/keep things moving forward.

As you talk, you notice the small lock place on the grate, ostensibly by the City Watch. After all, the sewer isn't supposed to just have anybody running around in it.


Superiority Dice: 3/4
Combat:
HP 27/36 | AC 18 | Saves STR +6 DEX -1 CON +4 INT +5 WIS +2 CHA -1 | spd 30 | Perc. +2; Pass. 12 | LG Human Fighter / Wizard 4 | HD 0/4 1d10+2 | Insp. 0/1 | Init: +2 | Effects:

As the others speak, sounds echo as a fourth approaches. The steady pace of a military step.

A tall, slim figure emerges from the the shadows, clad in bronze-gilded steel mail and wielding a halberd, both of exotic make. An Untherite, far from his homeland.

A helm covers much of his head, but sallow skin with nicks and scars from prior battles becoming visible as he nears. His deep brown eyes coolly assess the situation in front of him. What is noticeable is that his eyebrows and eyelashes are shaved completely. And the spell-book at his side.

His movements are precise, methodical, and just a fraction slow.

And his words are much the same, in accented common.

"I am Horat, once known as 'The Bulwark' by those in Unther's armies but now 'exile' for not tolerating the unholy. I have been sent an angelic vision, of demons gathering below and of allies I was to meet here. I was told that I would find others to stand with, to crush the abyssal foe. Are you those others?"


HP 1/15 | AC 14 | Init. +3| Saves STR -1 DEX +5 CON +1 INT +4 WIS +0 CHA +5| spd 30 | Perc. +2; Pass. 12 LG Human Rogue / Bard 2 | HD 1/2 | Insp. 0/1 | Effects: None
Combat:
rapier +5 (1d8+3) | longsword +0 (1d8+0) | shortbow +5 (1d6+3) [20/20] | Bardic Inspiration 1/3 | Sneak Attack 1d6| Spell Slots(0)/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-

Gram waves his hand and shakes his head in an apologetic/embarassed gesture towards Halgrin."Please. There's no need for such propriety. Im swordcaptain in title only. I dont hold any authority over you <můj bratr>"

Orcish:
Brother
Besides, I'm not actually on duty today either. You can just call me Gram.

Gram turns to the Dwarf and gives her a polite bow. "It's a pleasure yo meet you, Katra, <הגארפד שומר אותך טוב>"

Dwarven:
"Dwarffather keep you well"

And as Horat approaches and introduces himself, Gram responds "Well met, friend and I believe we are the others you seek. I'm Inspector Gram Luthar of the City watch, and this is Officer Halgrin and Priestess Katra of Moradin. We all had the same visions as well"

If there's any other conversation to be had,assume the following happens at the conclusion of it
Gram bends down inspect the grate for a moment. "The lock is intact. No forced entry or exit. Nothing immediately out of the ordinary. Still...I have to be sure..."
He stands up ans addresses the group.
"The woman from the vision said to find the lowest point in the city and sent us to this specific sewer grate. If there's a possible threat to the city down there, I'm duty bound to investigate. I intend to open the lock and head down to see what lies below, and though I wouldn't normally be comfortable putting civilians in danger, you were called here just the same as I. I wont insult you by asking you to stay behind. That said, does anyone need to make any preparations before we head down?


Superiority Dice: 3/4
Combat:
HP 27/36 | AC 18 | Saves STR +6 DEX -1 CON +4 INT +5 WIS +2 CHA -1 | spd 30 | Perc. +2; Pass. 12 | LG Human Fighter / Wizard 4 | HD 0/4 1d10+2 | Insp. 0/1 | Init: +2 | Effects:

Horat graciously nods at Gram's reply, though he briefly appears confused if it appears Gram is referring to him when he speaks of civilians.

"I will not be swayed from this course. Through unfortunate experience, I can understand the tongue of the abyss, and I am well suited to securing a position. And as of last night, I finally understand the spells within this book.", he adds, tapping the spellbook with a long, slender finger.

"If two of us can move abreast below, I should be in the front with one with the sharpest eyes and ears. I am as prepared as I can be."


Cool. We have everyone assembled now. Anyone want to try the lock?


Superiority Dice: 3/4
Combat:
HP 27/36 | AC 18 | Saves STR +6 DEX -1 CON +4 INT +5 WIS +2 CHA -1 | spd 30 | Perc. +2; Pass. 12 | LG Human Fighter / Wizard 4 | HD 0/4 1d10+2 | Insp. 0/1 | Init: +2 | Effects:

Horat looks around, and then at Gram.

"Inspector Luthar, unless Officer Halgrin or Priestess Katra object, I suggest that you proceed with opening that lock."


Combat:
longsword +6 (1d8+6) | warhammer +6 (1d8+6) | Rage 1/3 | Divine Fury +1d6+2 R |Second Wind 1/1 | Action surge 1/1
HP 45/45 | AC 19 | Saves STR +6 DEX +2 CON +5 INT -1 WIS +0 CHA +0 | spd 30; Init. +2 |Perc. +2; Pass. 12 | NG Half-orc Barbarian / Fighter 4 | HD 1/4 | Insp. 0/1 | Effects: None

Halgrin frowned after the two rat-catchers introduced themselves. He was still tempted to arrest them, but the fact that the Captain seemed willing to overlook it, made him temper his response. And as for not using the Captain’s rank, well that wasn’t really an option.

Instead he said, “I’m going to be honest here. I’m still not convinced this isn’t some sort of trap. Nor am I convinced that I should trust anyone here beyond the Captain. But the fact of the matter is that we have a lead on people in danger. And I’m not going to ignore that.”

He then looked over the lock alongside the Captain.

“Well, since no one has volunteered a more subtle approach I guess I’ll have to pull out my trusty lockpick.”

Halgrin drew a warhammer from his back that was barely hidden by the shield strapped there.

“Might want to step aside, Cap.”

He then brought his hammer down with a mighty thwack.

I’ll roll a straight up STR check with advantage since we’re not in any particular hurry. If my athletics would apply, add +2 to the result.

STR w/ADV: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8
STR w/ADV: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10 <--

Halgrin snarled, took his time, and slammed his hammer down again.

STR w/ADV: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11
STR w/ADV: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15 <--


Current Damage: --0 |
Cleric Spell Slots:
4 (4) / 2 (2)
|
Artificer Spell Slots:
2 (2)
| Insp [ ] LG Hill Dwarf Cleric/Artificer 3 Max HP: 24 | AC: 19 | Saves: Str: +2; Dex: -1; Con: +4; Int: +4; Wis: +5; Cha: +1 | Init: -1| Alchemist Save DC: 12; Cleric Save DC: 13

Before Halgrin goes to smash the locks, Katra puts her hand on his bicep to stop him. She then produces a set of picks and begins working the lock.

Thieve's Tools (Dex): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10
Thieve's Tools (Dex): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12
Thieve's Tools (Dex): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
Thieve's Tools (Dex): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16
Thieve's Tools (Dex): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
Thieve's Tools (Dex): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
Thieve's Tools (Dex): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18
Thieve's Tools (Dex): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16
Thieve's Tools (Dex): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
Thieve's Tools (Dex): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21

If after a minute of fiddling with it, I can't get it open, then I'll let smashy mc'smasherton the IV do his thing.


All the time fiddling with the lock and talking back here draws attention to you all back there in the alley. A middle-aged man wearing an apron comes out the back door. "What's all this? What are you all doing back here beuind my shop?"

It's a DC 15 to pick or break but one failure to break draws attention. Three failures to pick.


Current Damage: --0 |
Cleric Spell Slots:
4 (4) / 2 (2)
|
Artificer Spell Slots:
2 (2)
| Insp [ ] LG Hill Dwarf Cleric/Artificer 3 Max HP: 24 | AC: 19 | Saves: Str: +2; Dex: -1; Con: +4; Int: +4; Wis: +5; Cha: +1 | Init: -1| Alchemist Save DC: 12; Cleric Save DC: 13

Gotcha.

Katra ignores the person speaking and continues working the lock, relying on the others to handle the shopkeep.


Superiority Dice: 3/4
Combat:
HP 27/36 | AC 18 | Saves STR +6 DEX -1 CON +4 INT +5 WIS +2 CHA -1 | spd 30 | Perc. +2; Pass. 12 | LG Human Fighter / Wizard 4 | HD 0/4 1d10+2 | Insp. 0/1 | Init: +2 | Effects:

Horat looks to Halgrin and Gram, clearly expecting them to speak up.

This is their city after all.


Combat:
longsword +6 (1d8+6) | warhammer +6 (1d8+6) | Rage 1/3 | Divine Fury +1d6+2 R |Second Wind 1/1 | Action surge 1/1
HP 45/45 | AC 19 | Saves STR +6 DEX +2 CON +5 INT -1 WIS +0 CHA +0 | spd 30; Init. +2 |Perc. +2; Pass. 12 | NG Half-orc Barbarian / Fighter 4 | HD 1/4 | Insp. 0/1 | Effects: None
Katra Ironfist wrote:
Before Halgrin goes to smash the locks, Katra puts her hand on his bicep to stop him. She then produces a set of picks and begins working the lock.

Halgrin tried to hide his disappointment by instead dutifully playing lookout. He also took the time to put away his hammer and bring out his shield.

When the middle-aged man comes blustering into the alley, Halgrin points at the tabard of the City Watch being clearly displayed by Captain Gram. Since his knowledge of the Laughing Giant hadn't pointed to anything notably unsavory, he decided to give the man the benefit of the doubt.

"We're from the City Watch, and we have reason to suspect that something nefarious is going on down those sewers. Have you seen anything suspicious you would like to report?"

I do want to see how he reacts to being directly confronted though.

WIS (insight): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11


Superiority Dice: 3/4
Combat:
HP 27/36 | AC 18 | Saves STR +6 DEX -1 CON +4 INT +5 WIS +2 CHA -1 | spd 30 | Perc. +2; Pass. 12 | LG Human Fighter / Wizard 4 | HD 0/4 1d10+2 | Insp. 0/1 | Init: +2 | Effects:

Horat also watches the man's reaction.

Insight: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5


HP 1/15 | AC 14 | Init. +3| Saves STR -1 DEX +5 CON +1 INT +4 WIS +0 CHA +5| spd 30 | Perc. +2; Pass. 12 LG Human Rogue / Bard 2 | HD 1/2 | Insp. 0/1 | Effects: None
Combat:
rapier +5 (1d8+3) | longsword +0 (1d8+0) | shortbow +5 (1d6+3) [20/20] | Bardic Inspiration 1/3 | Sneak Attack 1d6| Spell Slots(0)/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-

Gram is also carefully watching the shopkeeper to determine his intention.

Insight (Expertise): 1d20 + 0 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 0 + 4 = 20


Halgrin and Gram determine that the portly man is genuinely surprised. Horay is unsure what this fellow is thinking. "Nefarious? Mercy... I've heard people back here at night sometimes but I figured it was just beggars or kids... Please deal with it, officers! I don't want to get my throat slit, plus that'd be bad for business!!" Meanwhile, Katara gets the lock open, revealing a ladder down into a dark tunnel.

Who's first?


Superiority Dice: 3/4
Combat:
HP 27/36 | AC 18 | Saves STR +6 DEX -1 CON +4 INT +5 WIS +2 CHA -1 | spd 30 | Perc. +2; Pass. 12 | LG Human Fighter / Wizard 4 | HD 0/4 1d10+2 | Insp. 0/1 | Init: +2 | Effects:

"A good night to you, citizen of Waterdeep. We will take care of this matter."

He turns to the others, and in a matter-of-fact tone explains:

"I will assume from your lack of action that the merchant is not our immediate concern. As for the tunnel, I would prefer a position in the vanguard to keep foes from us, but I would readily accept rearguard or centre. I am willing and ready to hold a position at all costs."


HP 1/15 | AC 14 | Init. +3| Saves STR -1 DEX +5 CON +1 INT +4 WIS +0 CHA +5| spd 30 | Perc. +2; Pass. 12 LG Human Rogue / Bard 2 | HD 1/2 | Insp. 0/1 | Effects: None
Combat:
rapier +5 (1d8+3) | longsword +0 (1d8+0) | shortbow +5 (1d6+3) [20/20] | Bardic Inspiration 1/3 | Sneak Attack 1d6| Spell Slots(0)/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-

Gram lights a torch.

"I'll tread beside you, if there's room. I'd like to keep an eye out for clues or anything suspicious."


Superiority Dice: 3/4
Combat:
HP 27/36 | AC 18 | Saves STR +6 DEX -1 CON +4 INT +5 WIS +2 CHA -1 | spd 30 | Perc. +2; Pass. 12 | LG Human Fighter / Wizard 4 | HD 0/4 1d10+2 | Insp. 0/1 | Init: +2 | Effects:

Horat nods.

"Certainly. That is wise."


GM Screen:

Stealth: 2d20 ⇒ (16, 20) = 36
Attack Horat: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6
Dam: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6
Inits: 2d20 ⇒ (9, 14) = 23

You descend into the sewers, surrounded by stench and moisture. The tunnel only leads in one direction from here so you follow it, all four of you walking along together with a torch, not a particularly stealthy combination. All of a sudden, a cloaked figure darts out from behind a corner and strikes at Horat but misses. At the same time, you hear a voice call out down tunnel "Intruders! Get 'em!" But expecting danger, you all react quickly to the cloaked figures attacking you and the sound of more rushing toward you!

Map updated. Party GO!. The tunnels are 10 ft across and you are currently lit by Gram's torch. There is not other light source. Rocky portions of the tunnel have rubble and those squares are difficult terrain.

Halgrin and Katara:

Thanks to your darkvision, you can see two more cloaked figures down the hall to the west just out of range of the torchlight.[/ooc]


Superiority Dice: 3/4
Combat:
HP 27/36 | AC 18 | Saves STR +6 DEX -1 CON +4 INT +5 WIS +2 CHA -1 | spd 30 | Perc. +2; Pass. 12 | LG Human Fighter / Wizard 4 | HD 0/4 1d10+2 | Insp. 0/1 | Init: +2 | Effects:

Now alert to the danger, Horat steps out into the corridor and strikes at his foe - then again with the end of his halberd.

Step 5ft

Halberd: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14

Damage: 1d10 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8

Halberd End: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23

Damage: 1d4 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6

Aoo on reaction if enemy enters his reach:

Halberd: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12

Damage: 1d10 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10


Combat:
longsword +6 (1d8+6) | warhammer +6 (1d8+6) | Rage 1/3 | Divine Fury +1d6+2 R |Second Wind 1/1 | Action surge 1/1
HP 45/45 | AC 19 | Saves STR +6 DEX +2 CON +5 INT -1 WIS +0 CHA +0 | spd 30; Init. +2 |Perc. +2; Pass. 12 | NG Half-orc Barbarian / Fighter 4 | HD 1/4 | Insp. 0/1 | Effects: None

"We have more coming in from that direction! Just beyond the light!"

Halgrin carefully makes his way forward to meet the other threat.

I'm taking the dodge action, and moving West 25 feet (5 quares). Based on the description I have, I don't believe that would put me in a position to attack. But Dodge gives any attacks against me disadvantage, including from the oportunity attack I likely provoked moving forward.

Kind of hoping Katra will stand by me so we can make a wall. But obviously, she's gonna do what she's gonna do.


HP 1/15 | AC 14 | Init. +3| Saves STR -1 DEX +5 CON +1 INT +4 WIS +0 CHA +5| spd 30 | Perc. +2; Pass. 12 LG Human Rogue / Bard 2 | HD 1/2 | Insp. 0/1 | Effects: None
Combat:
rapier +5 (1d8+3) | longsword +0 (1d8+0) | shortbow +5 (1d6+3) [20/20] | Bardic Inspiration 1/3 | Sneak Attack 1d6| Spell Slots(0)/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-

"Careful, Halgrin! We don't know what we're up against yet!" Gram then steps out into the corridor and draws his rapier. Turning his attention to Horat's Attacker.

"It's not wise to strike out at a man holding a Halberd. Then again, choosing to spend your time in the sewers doesn't exactly make you a genius either"

Vicious Mockery:
DC 13 Wis save or take Psychic Damage: 1d4 ⇒ 4 and have disadvantage on the next attack roll he makes before the end of his next turn

"Now, tell us what you're doing here!"

If any of Grams attacks drops an enemy to zero, he'll choose to knock them out instead.


Horat's pair of attacks drops the man dead but you do hear sounds of other footsteps and barked commands.

DC 16 perception:

It sounds like two more are coming from the West and three more from the south.

Halgrin and Katara:

You notice that of the two enemies you see about 50 feet to the west, one is holding a scimitar while the other is holding a small symbol you can't make out.

Katara still to go.


Superiority Dice: 3/4
Combat:
HP 27/36 | AC 18 | Saves STR +6 DEX -1 CON +4 INT +5 WIS +2 CHA -1 | spd 30 | Perc. +2; Pass. 12 | LG Human Fighter / Wizard 4 | HD 0/4 1d10+2 | Insp. 0/1 | Init: +2 | Effects:

Perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16

Horat says, not shouts, as he returns his halberd and body to a defensive stance.

"Two from the west, three from the south."


Current Damage: --0 |
Cleric Spell Slots:
4 (4) / 2 (2)
|
Artificer Spell Slots:
2 (2)
| Insp [ ] LG Hill Dwarf Cleric/Artificer 3 Max HP: 24 | AC: 19 | Saves: Str: +2; Dex: -1; Con: +4; Int: +4; Wis: +5; Cha: +1 | Init: -1| Alchemist Save DC: 12; Cleric Save DC: 13

Katra moves forward then reaches into her satchel and throws a flask of liquid at the intruder, saying "Back up a bit Halgrin and let's form a proper battle line."

Dex save vs. Alchemical Acid or take: 1d6 ⇒ 3 Acid Damage.


Superiority Dice: 3/4
Combat:
HP 27/36 | AC 18 | Saves STR +6 DEX -1 CON +4 INT +5 WIS +2 CHA -1 | spd 30 | Perc. +2; Pass. 12 | LG Human Fighter / Wizard 4 | HD 0/4 1d10+2 | Insp. 0/1 | Init: +2 | Effects:

Horat steps next to the corner of a wall.

"I can strike furthest from here. And deploy arcana if necessary."


GM screen:

Dex save: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21
Scimitar Halgrin: 1d20 + 3 + 1d4 ⇒ (3) + 3 + (3) = 9
Scimitar Halgrin disadv: 1d20 + 3 + 1d4 ⇒ (17) + 3 + (2) = 22
xbow Halgrin: 1d20 + 3 + 1d4 ⇒ (8) + 3 + (1) = 12
xbow Halgrin disadv: 1d20 + 3 + 1d4 ⇒ (15) + 3 + (2) = 20

A voice calls out from the south "They killed Akato! The other way!" then you hear more pounding of footsteps.

Darkvision:

The attacker dodges the acid and moves forward to attack. As he does so, two of his fellows come up behind him to reinforce him. The cloaked figure in the back lifts up his symbol and chants something. The three in front appear invigorated.

DC 11 arcana and darkvision:

He cast bless on his three friends.

One of the attackers rushes forward and slashes at Halgrin with his scimitar. The other fires a crossbow from distance but fails to hit the dodgy half-orc.

All party, GO! Gram and Horat, note that you can only see enemies within 40 ft of Gram's torch.


Superiority Dice: 3/4
Combat:
HP 27/36 | AC 18 | Saves STR +6 DEX -1 CON +4 INT +5 WIS +2 CHA -1 | spd 30 | Perc. +2; Pass. 12 | LG Human Fighter / Wizard 4 | HD 0/4 1d10+2 | Insp. 0/1 | Init: +2 | Effects:

Sensing an opportunity, Horat steps forward and swings his halberd hard at the nearest foe.

Halberd: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18

Damage, S: 1d10 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13

Halberd End: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14

Damage, B: 1d4 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6

AOO on reaction:

Halberd: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8

Damage, S: 1d10 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12

"If you are adept at range, strike from behind me.", he says to the others without turning his head, ready in case another foe charges their position.


HP 1/15 | AC 14 | Init. +3| Saves STR -1 DEX +5 CON +1 INT +4 WIS +0 CHA +5| spd 30 | Perc. +2; Pass. 12 LG Human Rogue / Bard 2 | HD 1/2 | Insp. 0/1 | Effects: None
Combat:
rapier +5 (1d8+3) | longsword +0 (1d8+0) | shortbow +5 (1d6+3) [20/20] | Bardic Inspiration 1/3 | Sneak Attack 1d6| Spell Slots(0)/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-

Gram Steps up behind Horat.
"Sound strategy! Should these cowards continue their frontal assault, they'll be cut down in short order! He shouts loud enough for the enemies to here.

He turns his attention to the robed figure 35ft to his direct west."You here that, mate!? You're gonna end up like your man Akato if you keep this up!

Vicious Mockery: DC 13 Wis save or take Psychic Damage: 1d4 ⇒ 2 and have disadvantage on the next attack roll he makes before the end of his next turn


Combat:
longsword +6 (1d8+6) | warhammer +6 (1d8+6) | Rage 1/3 | Divine Fury +1d6+2 R |Second Wind 1/1 | Action surge 1/1
HP 45/45 | AC 19 | Saves STR +6 DEX +2 CON +5 INT -1 WIS +0 CHA +0 | spd 30; Init. +2 |Perc. +2; Pass. 12 | NG Half-orc Barbarian / Fighter 4 | HD 1/4 | Insp. 0/1 | Effects: None

"We got spell casters!" Halgrin calls out. "I'm suddenly not loving the cramped tunnels."

He draws his trusty sword, and attacks.

I'll finish off the bandit Horat is targeting. However, if he's already dead, move me West 25 feet to target the next one.

Longsword: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19
Damage: 1d8 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8


Horat's does indeed finish him off with his trusty halberd. Halgrin rushes forward and strikes a heavy blow on the next man but he doesn't fall yet.

Katara still up.


Current Damage: --0 |
Cleric Spell Slots:
4 (4) / 2 (2)
|
Artificer Spell Slots:
2 (2)
| Insp [ ] LG Hill Dwarf Cleric/Artificer 3 Max HP: 24 | AC: 19 | Saves: Str: +2; Dex: -1; Con: +4; Int: +4; Wis: +5; Cha: +1 | Init: -1| Alchemist Save DC: 12; Cleric Save DC: 13

"Fine, then, that's how it's to be?" Asks Katra of the Darkness before drawing another vial and throwing it in the direction of the chanting.

GM:

Targeting the three of them that are clumped up nicely in a 5' radius for me.

Arcana: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5

Alchemical Fire; Dex save or take: 1d6 ⇒ 4 Fire damage.


GM Screen:

Dex: 3d20 + 2d4 ⇒ (12, 16, 15) + (1, 4) = 48
CW: 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4
Dex Halgrin: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
Dam: 1d8 ⇒ 7
Scimitars Halgrin: 2d20 + 2d4 ⇒ (4, 4) + (4, 4) = 16

They all dodge out of the way, aided by the magic of their ally, but realize their formation might be a problem. Another robed figure moves up behind the fighters while the first takes several steps back, laying a hand on a comrade as he does so. His ally is invigorated and seems ready to keep fighting instead of on the break of death. The two front-liners slash at Halgrin but can't land a blow. He's distracted, however, and doesn't notice when one of the robed figures calls down divine fire upon him (7 radiant to Halgrin).

Everyone GO!


HP 1/15 | AC 14 | Init. +3| Saves STR -1 DEX +5 CON +1 INT +4 WIS +0 CHA +5| spd 30 | Perc. +2; Pass. 12 LG Human Rogue / Bard 2 | HD 1/2 | Insp. 0/1 | Effects: None
Combat:
rapier +5 (1d8+3) | longsword +0 (1d8+0) | shortbow +5 (1d6+3) [20/20] | Bardic Inspiration 1/3 | Sneak Attack 1d6| Spell Slots(0)/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-

Gram sheaths his rapier as he taunts the bandit in front of Halgrin...

"Never in my life have I seen such poor swordsmanship! You couldnt hit the broad side of your mothers bum swinging like that!"

Vicious Mockery: DC 13 WIS save or take Psychic Damage: 1d4 ⇒ 4 and have disadvantage on the next attack roll he makes before the end of his next turn

He turns his attention to Halgrin.

"Keep it up, <Bratr>! It's gonna take more than a fancy light show to take you down!

Healing Word, Halgrin: 1d4 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4


Combat:
longsword +6 (1d8+6) | warhammer +6 (1d8+6) | Rage 1/3 | Divine Fury +1d6+2 R |Second Wind 1/1 | Action surge 1/1
HP 45/45 | AC 19 | Saves STR +6 DEX +2 CON +5 INT -1 WIS +0 CHA +0 | spd 30; Init. +2 |Perc. +2; Pass. 12 | NG Half-orc Barbarian / Fighter 4 | HD 1/4 | Insp. 0/1 | Effects: None

HP 8/15; after healing HP 12/15

Halgrin feels a cold fury wash over him as he is wounded by the beam. He then yells as he furiously swings his blade.

Bonus action to activate Rage. Resistant to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage.

Longsword: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7
Damage: 1d8 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 5 + 2 = 14

That's a sad roll.


Superiority Dice: 3/4
Combat:
HP 27/36 | AC 18 | Saves STR +6 DEX -1 CON +4 INT +5 WIS +2 CHA -1 | spd 30 | Perc. +2; Pass. 12 | LG Human Fighter / Wizard 4 | HD 0/4 1d10+2 | Insp. 0/1 | Init: +2 | Effects:

Horat picks up momentum, and his halberd remains in motion. He is just about able to close on the pair of foes that Halgrin is locked in combat with.

And his halberd keeps moving, with deadly purpose behind it.

Halberd vs injured foe: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16

Damage, S: 1d10 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9

Halberd End vs most injured remaining foe: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16

Damage, B: 1d4 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

AOO on reaction:

Halberd: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16

Damage, S: 1d10 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13

@Halgrin: Tis unfortunate! And my own rolls are very consistent this turn...


GM screen:

Wis save: 1d20 ⇒ 11

Gram's insults leave their mark on Halgrin's attacker, leaving him open to Horat's slash across the chest, which fells the man. The shaved soldier then whirls around, bringing the butt end of his halberd into the stomach of the other foe, leaving him gasping for air.

Katara still up.


Current Damage: --0 |
Cleric Spell Slots:
4 (4) / 2 (2)
|
Artificer Spell Slots:
2 (2)
| Insp [ ] LG Hill Dwarf Cleric/Artificer 3 Max HP: 24 | AC: 19 | Saves: Str: +2; Dex: -1; Con: +4; Int: +4; Wis: +5; Cha: +1 | Init: -1| Alchemist Save DC: 12; Cleric Save DC: 13

It's Katra. Katara is still back in town =P

Seeing that Gram healed Halgrin, Katra will move up and cast [I]Shield of Faith on Halgrin, thereby hopefully preventing damage. It gives you a +2 bonus to AC while I concentrate.


Ack. Sorry. Katra.

GM Screen:

Attack: 1d20 + 3 + 1d4 ⇒ (12) + 3 + (4) = 19
dam: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
Dex saves -1: 2d20 ⇒ (15, 3) = 18
Dam: 1d8 ⇒ 7

Seeing the shimmering field around the half-orc, the foes decide to concentrate on the man that keeps cutting down those of their number. One slashes at him with a scimitar while the two in the back rain down fire on him. Horat spins to try to keep dodging all of the onslaught and manages to minimize the damage from the blade (2) while avoiding one gout of magical flames. The other catches him full, however (7 radiant), lighting up the dark tunnel in a sudden white-hot burst. The shaved soldier stumbles but does not fall.

DC 14 perception:

One of the robed men speaks to the other in a harsh whisper "We must activate the signal stone!"

Party up!


Superiority Dice: 3/4
Combat:
HP 27/36 | AC 18 | Saves STR +6 DEX -1 CON +4 INT +5 WIS +2 CHA -1 | spd 30 | Perc. +2; Pass. 12 | LG Human Fighter / Wizard 4 | HD 0/4 1d10+2 | Insp. 0/1 | Init: +2 | Effects:

Perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10

Horat winces as both magic and blade assail his flesh, but he does not yield. Or cease battering the foe in front of him.

Halberd: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21

Damage: 1d10 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6

Halberd end: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13

Damage: 1d4 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6

AOO:

Halberd: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20

Damage: 1d10 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6


No magic blade. Just a normal scimitar and sacred flame.

Horat cuts down the man in front of him.

Gram, Halgrin, and Katra still to go.

1 to 50 of 1,454 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Pawn's gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.