Kingmaker: Legacies (Inactive)

Game Master Wolfspirit

Hexploration and Provisions | Calendar | Loot!


1 to 50 of 1,276 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Exploration | Roles | Olegs Trading Post | Woods

"An Æther Storm soon gathers here..."

Please dot in and erase to join the Campaign!


Exploration | Roles | Olegs Trading Post | Woods

The Barge Wright Inn isn’t difficult to find; it’s a well-known renovated barge permanently anchored on the banks of the Shrike River. Being in the Docks district in Restov, it also has a reputation for having the occasional… boisterous… clientele, though the proprietor Margrim is known for enforcing the threat of unruly patrons “taking a swim.” You see that in practice as you watch as two struggling men shouting, ”The Surtovans are usurpers!” and ”Traitorous dog!” are foisted out over the rail.

Apparently, it’s difficult to continue heated political discussion through chattering teeth. You can see the two drag themselves out of the still frigid Shrike and go separate ways.

<Post 1>

There is a small stable set back a ways from the river, far enough to prevent a chill from the open water, close enough that it’s probably a quick trip to muck the stables. Even though it’s a bit early for a dinner rush and only just the beginning of travel season yet, there are already several stalls full. (With a few mounts that you might potentially recognize?) Regardless, arranging stabling for any mounts or companions you might have (even… exotic) is an easy matter and you aren’t even charged if you mention your business at the Barge Wright Inn.

<Post 2>

Venturing onto the Barge across a railed plank into the “Common Room” of the deck, you are greeted by large grizzled man with an eye patch that sizes you up for a moment before exclaiming, ”Ah, here fer the Solicitor’s party, eh? Make yer way to the back room and help yerself, he said he’d be there shortly and… ‘ey, we’ll have none of that here! Want to join yer friends for a swim?” He trounces off across the deck towards two men, one of whom has a red band on his tunic, another with a notable white feather in his hat who appear to be arguing increasingly loudly.

<Post 3>

Making your way to a cabin marked “Private Room” with a smaller sign denoting “By reservation only”, you find a large table heaping with food freshly prepared: meats, cheeses, vegetables; probably the finest repast you’ve seen in some time. A few bottles of Elven, Taldan, and Brevic vintage are all set to chill on a small table, and a tapped oak barrel keg has several glasses beside it. Clearly, quite the party has been prepared for. And quite the party it is, given the company that begins to fill the room!

<Post 4>

Feel free to respond to any of the “posts” (denoting which one you respond to) and introduce yourselves! You are all arriving around the same time, but I’ll let individuals decide if you, say, meet up with someone you know in the stables, though the default assumption is that you meet everyone in the Private Room. I’ll let introductions continue until tomorrow around noon to move things on to the actual plot.

Sovereign Court

LG Half-Elf Cavalier/Bard 4 | HP: 39/39 | AC: 21 (12 Tch, 19 Fl) | CMB: +5, CMD: 17 | F: +6, R: +5, W: +3 | Init: +2 | Perc: +4, SM: +1 | Speed 20ft (50ft. Mounted) | Tactician (0/1) | Challenge (0/1) |Performance: (0/7)|Spells: (0/2)| Active conditions:

<After Post 2>

To be 'on time' is to be late.

What was once an excuse for more lectures had become ingrained into Janna's head; there is fifteen minutes to spare when he tethers his horse, Preven, into the nearby stable, and ten minutes early when the man with the eyepatch points him to the Solicitor's party.

Janna sits down and serves himself a small plate of food, eager to find out who else got the same invitation.


Female Aasimar Druid 1 Wizard 3 | HP: 27/27 | AC: 16 12 (12 Tch, 10 Fl) | CMB: +2, CMD: 14 | F: +5, R: +4, W: +8 | Init: +6 | Perc: +6 (Darkvision 60 ft.), SM: +2 | Speed 30ft | Inspiration: 3/3, SNA 2: 1/1 | Active conditions: Mage armor.

<Regarding post 2>

Franka walks alongside her horse, guiding him into the stables across from the Barge Wright Inn. She tries her best to ignore the shouts from the two men in the water. She thinks on the invitation she received, the one that brought her here. Things seem to have gotten worse since I left. Whatever we're here for, we'd better not end up in the middle of that.

She hands over Heimdall's reigns to the groom after giving him a critical look and taking a quick look into the stables. That's a fine thoroughbred over there. They should be able to handle Heimdall well. "Be kind to him. He's less intimidating than he looks," she says with a smile, friendly to anyone who's made a living of working with horses. "He's not the youngest anymore, and I have a feeling I'll be needing him in the time to come." With a silver tossed to the groom and a friendly stroke on her mount's neck, she turns around and walks to the river with large, confident strides.

<Regarding post 4>

Franka lets herself be shown into the back room, ignoring any looks that might be directed at her for her out-of-place outfit. Arriving at her destination, she gives two gentle knocks on the door before opening it and entering.

The woman who enters the room is short of average height. Her plump figure is emphasised by her rugged outfit, more fitting for travel than for a night in the city. She wears leather trousers and stout boots, below a thick padded coat trimmed with a variety of furs. Sticking out from the furred collar is a round face, framed in red hair that's been kept short in a style that can only be called unfashionable. Her face is not unfriendly and maybe even a bit timid, despite her rugged appearance.

"Ah, hello," she greets those already there. Are you here for the... Solicitor's invitation as well? Any idea what this is about?" She walks about the room, seemingly unsure of how to behave. After a short moment she settles on pouring a glass from the keg and takes a seat, marvelling at the food and not touching her drink yet.


Male LG Human (Taldan) Cavalier (Order of the Flame) 4 | HP: 43/43| AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21 Fl) | CMB: +8 CMD: 19 | F: +6, R: +2, W: +3 | Init: +1 | Perc: +9, SM: +1 | Speed 20ft | Challenge 1/1 | Glorious Challenge Counter=0 | Active conditions: None

<Post 1 & 2>
Emil finds himself deep in contemplation as Flora trots on by towards the barge he was given directions to in the late afternoon light. This is all very mysterious. I wonder who that Solicitor person is? The sound of a man yelling and a loud splash breaks him out of his reverie, allowing him to contemplate the pair of men floundering around in the water. Well, maybe not all that mysterious. "Whoa Flora. Good girl." he coos, dismounting the mare and handing the reins to the groom. "Don't be too rough!" he says with a smile as he makes his way towards the gangplank leading up to the barge. "Don't worry sir, I won't be" shouts out the stable-boy, to which Emil replies good-naturedly "I was talking to the horse!" He opens the door to the raucus noise of your typical inn, which barely masks the sound of a gleeful nicker.

<Post 4>

The door opens and Emil strides on in; short brown hair in a tussle, this young man's green eyes twinkle with mirth; a handsome face, made all the more pleasing to look at by the guileless smile that it now flashes. "Greetings lady and gen... Cayden Cailean's left testes, Janna? Good to see you again my f... GODS ON HIGH IS THAT TALDANE RED??"
Eager would be somewhat of a euphemism to describe how fast the boy, in spite of his armor, gets his hands on the coveted bottle and opens it, barely slowing down to get a mug to pour the deep red liquid in, and drinks deep. Finally lowering his cup, he sighs contentedly. "I thought I was condemned to drink ale and that abomination they call Sauerton Red." At which point he realizes the scene he's made and a blush comes to his face. "Uh... Ah... Ahem. Emil Mordraine my lady. Late of Taldor" he practically mutters to the woman in the room, his eyes downcast. "A pleasure to meet you. Hum. Would you care for some wine?" he offers, eyes rising back up to once again take in the room and it's contents.


Male CG Human (“Brevoy”) Alchemist 4 HP: 14/23 | AC: 21 (15 Tch, 12 Fl) | CMB: +0, CMD: 13 | F: +3, R: +6, W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +6, SM: +2 | Speed 60ft | Bombs: 3/8 | Extracts: 0/4, 0/2 | Active conditions: Shield, Expeditious Retreat, Bomber's Eye, Dex Mutagen

Post 1
Audsley stops as he turns the corner and spots the Barge Wright Inn, suddenly nervous, almost hesitant. His hands creep about his person like errant birds, tapping and fluttering as he checks his equipment with what seems an almost absentminded precision, tugging on clasps and tightening caps. He bites his lower lip, glances left and right as if every window might hold an assassin, and then takes a deep breath and strides out into view.

Post 3
Down he walks with his chin raised and chest puffed out, trying to look authoritative and confident, but managing instead to look near sighted and stiff. He marches up the railed plank and gives a sharp nod to the grizzled man, only losing his composure when the man divines his intent.

"Oh, why - yes. The back room? Well - all right, yes indeed, the back room!"

Feeling somewhat cheered by the official nature of it all (the man had known to expect him!), he walks through the common room to the cabin marked 'Private Room"

Post 4

Cracking open the door, he inspects the interior for just a moment before catching sight of Franka within. This seems to be all the affirmation he needs; pushing the door open wide he enters with a beaming smile, absolutely delighted.

"Franka! Well bless the stars and alchemical properties of things that go bump in the night!" He steps up and stands before her, unsure with what to do with hands until he settles for standing akimbo. "How are you? You look all grown up! As if years had passed since I'd seen you last, which I suppose they have, haven't they? Oh my, it's been ages and ages - you're doing well? And here no doubt for this oh-so-mysterious Solicitor's meeting? Unless you're the Solicitor, of course, in which case 'solicit away' my dear, 'solicit away'..."

His flow of words slowly dries as he takes in the other two strangers, and his smile goes from good natured to strained. "Erm. Excuse me. Hello, I'm Audsley King."

That said, he suddenly blushes a bright crimson and in a moment of panic picks up a wedge of cheese and shoves it in his mouth.


Female NG Druid (Green Faith Initiate) 2 | HP: 18/18 | AC: 17 (12 Tch, 15 Fl) | CMB: +3, CMD: 15 | F: +4, R: +2, W: +6 | Init: +2 | Perc: +8, SM: +3 | Speed 30ft | Spells: 1st 3/3 | Active conditions: None.

<Post 3>

A look of unease was evident across Sera's youthful face, her eyes darting around the room from one stranger to another in apprehension. A chill had settled into her core, though its origins had little to do with the crisp northern air. Sera was nervous - more nervous than she had ever been in her life - and wrapping her arms around her waist did little to stop the shaking in her breath. There were just so many people and she had to face all of them without Zev. Her only answer to the large man at the door was to hold up a scrap of paper with the name 'Solicitor' written across it, meekly nodding to his directions and casting a cautious glance toward the heated argument that stole away the man's attention. The sooner she found a solution to her problem and got out of the city, the better.

<Post 4>

The door to the back room creaked open slowly, a pair of curious brown eyes peeking through the opening and looking visibly relieved when they saw that the room wasn't quite as rowdy or crowded as the previous one. The girl that stepped through froze immediately upon entering, her mouth and eyes equally wide as she caught sight of the feast laying upon the table. "I-is that...?" She stammered at first as she tried to speak, her look of shock slowly melting into one of pure wonder. "Is that ours?"

As soon as any sort of confirmation is given, Sera gleefully makes her way to the table, completely oblivious to those gathered around her and smiling in disbelief. Where was she even supposed to start? In answer to her own question, Sera pulled a small skinning knife from her belt and began tearing off small chunks of meat, stuffing handfuls of it into her pouch while practically giggling as she talked to herself. "Zev is never going to believe this. He's going to be so jealous."

Having finished stuffing her pouch with meals for her wolf friend, Sera tended to her own growling stomach by grabbing an entire loaf of bread and chomping at it voraciously, only pausing after several bites to look at her surroundings and eavesdrop on the conversations of others. She was immediately drawn to the repeated mention of 'Solicitor' and interjected herself into the discussion despite her full mouth with a "Mmpf!" and excited pointing toward Audsley. Sera quickly swallowed her food with an audible gulp before continuing with a noticeable excitement in her voice, "Solicitor! Me too! Are you the ones that are going to help us?"


Female Elf Ranger (Guide, Trapper) 1/Wizard (Exploiter) 1 | HP 8/17 | AC 20 T 13 FF 17 | Fort +3 Ref +5 Will +3 | Initiative +5 | Perception +8 (+9 vs traps or in forests) | Arcane Reservoir 3/4 | Mage Armor

<Post 4>

Last to the gathering -- perhaps a touch late -- is a slender, ageless elven woman. She lingers a moment in the doorway, her wide, deeply-colored eyes flickering first to one side of the private room, then to the other. Garbed like any traveler of the woods, she is a study in greens and browns, as if a part of the forest had chosen to move and talk. She has the lean grace of her kind, completely still one moment as her hand hovers on the doorframe, then moving like a fluttering leaf, with the drifting cloth of her traveling blouse and skirt flowing behind her as if playing in a breeze. At a moment's inspection she seems not much different from any other elf, well-poised, nimble and tall, with her blonde hair neatly trussed and her traveling gear the same as any that might be carried on a long road. Yet as she pauses again once inside the room, there is something about her poise, her stance, that hints that she is not merely a travel-weary wanderer or vagabond, even though none of her garments betray any hint of extraordinary quality.

She does not introduce herself immediately, but studies the faces of the other people in the room, her gaze lingering for just a moment longer on Janna.


Female Aasimar Druid 1 Wizard 3 | HP: 27/27 | AC: 16 12 (12 Tch, 10 Fl) | CMB: +2, CMD: 14 | F: +5, R: +4, W: +8 | Init: +6 | Perc: +6 (Darkvision 60 ft.), SM: +2 | Speed 30ft | Inspiration: 3/3, SNA 2: 1/1 | Active conditions: Mage armor.

Franka cocks an eyebrow at the boy's energetic entrance, unsure what to make of him. Her mouth shows a thin smile at his blush, while him calling her lady brings a snorting laugh. "Lady," she repeats derisively."Franka Aigner, nice to meet you." She's about to decline his offer of wine when the door opens.

She blinks twice at the figure entering, then stands up with a jerk. "Audsley?" What are you doing here?" She's opposite him in a few strides, meeting him halfway. She stretches out her arms under his, taking him in a firm hug before releasing him and standing back. "Indeed, it's been years! You've err... grown as well, haven't you?" She reaches back for her glass and takes a swig, then shakes her head at the suggestion that she's the Solicitor. "I just got here, I probably know as little as you do." She motions for Audsley to join her at the table when the next two women enter, one after another.

Franka doesn't hide an amused smile as the girl goggles at the table. "Help yourself..." Her smile turns into amazement as she watches the girl plunder the table. Well, I'm not sure that's what I meant... She takes a small selection of meats and vegetables herself, eating with obviously good manners. A comment from the girl takes her away from the food. "Help us? What do you mean?" she asks the girl. "Are you with the Solicitor? Do you know why he's brought us here?"

The appearance of the elf marks the first moment when Franka seems genuinely impressed. She leaves a bit of meat resting on her fork in mid-air while regarding the remarkable woman.


Female NG Druid (Green Faith Initiate) 2 | HP: 18/18 | AC: 17 (12 Tch, 15 Fl) | CMB: +3, CMD: 15 | F: +4, R: +2, W: +6 | Init: +2 | Perc: +8, SM: +3 | Speed 30ft | Spells: 1st 3/3 | Active conditions: None.

Sera places her half-eaten loaf back onto the table and turns her attention toward the woman that addressed her. "Yeah, the note said the people here were going to help." Wiping her hands against her pants to remove any lingering grease, Sera reached into her pocket to produce a folded piece of paper which she proceeded to hand to Franka. "See?"

Sera's note:
An Expedition of Ages is soon to begin
While visiting Restov come join all the rest of
The reunion commencing at the Barge Wright Inn
-The Solicitor

Underneath is one more line: "Meet those that can defend your home ", a time a few hours from now, and a location on the docks of the Shrike River.

While the woman busies herself with reading the note, Sera takes the opportunity to slide over to the drinks and grab a bottle with each hand, seemingly weighing them against each other. In truth, she had only the vaguest idea of what alcohol was and the effects it had on people but found herself intrigued by the bottles nonetheless simply because she was always told she shouldn't have it. Turning to the man next to her, Sera held up both bottles in display, "Which one would you reco-" A wave of recognition washed across Sera's features, interrupting her train of thought and slowly giving way to a look of puzzlement. "Horse guy? What are you doing here?" Suddenly, Sera found that her dreams of finding help dwindled, her embers of hope doused by reality. While she didn't personally have anything against Horse guy, he definitely didn't leave the impression of a hero capable of defending her home.


Female Elf Ranger (Guide, Trapper) 1/Wizard (Exploiter) 1 | HP 8/17 | AC 20 T 13 FF 17 | Fort +3 Ref +5 Will +3 | Initiative +5 | Perception +8 (+9 vs traps or in forests) | Arcane Reservoir 3/4 | Mage Armor

The elf cocks her head to one side, then says carefully, "I take it, then, that none of you are the aforementioned 'Solicitor'?"

Sovereign Court

LG Half-Elf Cavalier/Bard 4 | HP: 39/39 | AC: 21 (12 Tch, 19 Fl) | CMB: +5, CMD: 17 | F: +6, R: +5, W: +3 | Init: +2 | Perc: +4, SM: +1 | Speed 20ft (50ft. Mounted) | Tactician (0/1) | Challenge (0/1) |Performance: (0/7)|Spells: (0/2)| Active conditions:

"It is not me," Janna replies, holding a note written on similar parchment to Sera's. "Mine mentions a reunion,"he tacks on, looking to the only familiar face in the room, "but besides the Taldan here, I do not believe we've met. Jannna d'Hoeiss, Restov militia," he introduces himself, standing up and punctuating with a very exact salute.

Janna stands 5'8" and of slender build, and wears a pretty standard suit of scale mail, save for a seemingly mismatched chain-mail gorget that covers her mouth and neck. Despite its numerous dents and dings, it appears well-cared for, and the crest of the city emblazoned upon its right breast is particularly polished.

"Honestly, I expected soldiers," Janna continues, snapping the parchment in his hands. "It sounds like a military campaign to me. An expedition into the Stolen Lands, according to my note. Does yours concur?" he continues, to Sera in particular (as the only other one who's shown a note}, but anyone else in general.


Female Aasimar Druid 1 Wizard 3 | HP: 27/27 | AC: 16 12 (12 Tch, 10 Fl) | CMB: +2, CMD: 14 | F: +5, R: +4, W: +8 | Init: +6 | Perc: +6 (Darkvision 60 ft.), SM: +2 | Speed 30ft | Inspiration: 3/3, SNA 2: 1/1 | Active conditions: Mage armor.

Franka takes the note from the young girl and reads it carefully. Defend her home? Then another realization hits her. Does this Solicitor know something about all of us? Better proceed with caution." "Yes, I see," she gives as a guarded answer.

The elven woman's question makes Franka's brow furrow. She hadn't considered that possibility. She looks over the assembled group slowly. Not the elf apparently, not the girl either. Not Ainsley surely, and not the hot-head. Her gaze ends on the man who had already been there, apparently for quite some time. She gives a rueful smile when he instantly dispels her suspicion.

"This note agrees about the expedition - and the reunion," Franka answers for Sera, holding up the young girl's note, "but I hadn't considered it a military campaign. I guess I can see where you got that idea, though." What was I expecting? A great opportunity for knowledge...?


Female Elf Ranger (Guide, Trapper) 1/Wizard (Exploiter) 1 | HP 8/17 | AC 20 T 13 FF 17 | Fort +3 Ref +5 Will +3 | Initiative +5 | Perception +8 (+9 vs traps or in forests) | Arcane Reservoir 3/4 | Mage Armor

"Since none of us is the 'Solicitor,' but there was note of a reunion, there is still someone to arrive," the elven woman concludes. She pauses, then moves fluidly to take a seat. She leans forward slightly with a gaze that hints that she left something unsaid.

A few moments later, after indecision wrestles across her face, she adds simply, "I am Túrante."

It's DC 20 Knowledge (nobility) to know line of succession, so I guess that's the check to recognize her name.


Male CG Human (“Brevoy”) Alchemist 4 HP: 14/23 | AC: 21 (15 Tch, 12 Fl) | CMB: +0, CMD: 13 | F: +3, R: +6, W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +6, SM: +2 | Speed 60ft | Bombs: 3/8 | Extracts: 0/4, 0/2 | Active conditions: Shield, Expeditious Retreat, Bomber's Eye, Dex Mutagen

Audsley stands at the back of the room, chewing pensively on the wedge of cheese that he'd shoved into his mouth, and when he finally manages to gulp it down, he wipes both hands on his breeches and steps forward, blinking and smiling tentatively.

"एक खुशी अपने, अपने अद्भुत पर्सनहुड बनाने के लिए। हमारी मुठभेड़ उपयोगी हो सकता है और कई उत्पादक अधिग्रहण करने के लिए नेतृत्व कर सकते हैं !"

Elven:
"It is an honor to make your acquaintance, and I hope that my rusty grasp of your treasured tongue does not cause offense as I mangle grammar and otherwise butcher what should be a language of beauty! Welcome, and have bread!"

Audsley coughs as he finishes the meliflouous delivery, and then looks aside conspiratorially to Franka. "That was elvish. I learned it from an actual elf. Took me two years!"

He then surveys the group as a whole. "I, um, am quite certain that whatever is in store for us shall be duly explained by the arrival of our oh-so-mysterious host - after all, we were expected, were we not? And somebody must have laid out all this good food. I am sure that soon the truth will be revealed."


Female Elf Ranger (Guide, Trapper) 1/Wizard (Exploiter) 1 | HP 8/17 | AC 20 T 13 FF 17 | Fort +3 Ref +5 Will +3 | Initiative +5 | Perception +8 (+9 vs traps or in forests) | Arcane Reservoir 3/4 | Mage Armor

"I appreciate the effort," says Túrante. "I did not wish to appear rude." She focuses on Audsley as she speaks with a clear enunciation. "I already ate this morning, so I am interested primarily in sating my curiosity."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Exploration | Roles | Olegs Trading Post | Woods

As if appearing on cue, a non-descript human male in his late 20s emerges through the door, surveys the room, and closes the door once more. His features are unremarkable and decidedly... average: average height and build, dark hair and brown eyes. The only things notable about him are his clothes (clearly marking him as some sort of Court functionary) and the confidence he shows in his every movement.

Looking about the room, his eyes glance to each occupant before speaking in a voice that sounds like he belongs in a theatre. "All present and accounted for? Introductions in order?" Glancing around, he notes some hesitancy from the group, before continuing on. "I suppose we should get that out of the way." He begins introductions, gesturing with an open hand and upturned palm to each name. "Audsley King, Apprentice Alchemist of House Orlovsky. Emil Mordrane, formerly of Taldor. Master of Horse and an unrecognized heir of House Lebeda. Francesca, "Franka" Aigner, noted Ætherial scholar. Janna d'Hoiess, member of the Restov Militia, with commendations. Sera Harlow, Green Speaker and Stolen Lands native. Lady Túrante Poicellë, from the Royal Court of Kyonin."

Finally he gestures to himself. "And as you may have surmised, I am the 'Solicitor' in this matter. You see, you have all been selected to participate in an upcoming Expedition into the Stolen Lands."

”I’m sure you all have all sorts of questions, which I will endeavor to address.“

“You may wonder as to the secretive and cryptic nature of this entire ‘Reunion’? That, you see, is a matter of politics, as is this whole Expedition, really. There are many that don’t think Brevoy is doing enough to secure its southern border, or aid in the plight of those victimized by banditry on the South Road, or just think that an expansion to the South would be a good locale to distract and send local hot heads to. Yet there are those within power that see this entire matter as folly, a waste of time and resources that could be better used for more… civil… pursuits. Further still, residents of the River Kingdoms are most resistant to foreign incursions, nor are any neighboring kingdoms eager to see their borders growing closer. So, we have the current arrangement at hand.”
He snaps his fingers with one gloved hand and a rolled up parchment suddenly appears within his grasp, which he reads:

Charter:
Be it so known that the bearer of this charter has been charged by the Swordlords of Restov, acting upon the greater good and authority vested within them by the office of the Regent of the Dragonscale Throne, has granted the right of exploration and travel within the wilderness region known as the Greenbelt. Exploration should be limited to an area no further than 36 miles northwest and southeast and no further than 60 miles west of Oleg’s Trading Post. The carrier of this charter should also strive against banditry and other unlawful behavior to be encountered. The punishment for unrepentant banditry remains, as always, execution by sword or rope.

So witnessed on this 24th day of Calistril, under watchful eye of the Lordship of Restov and authority granted by Lord Noleski Surtova, current Regent of the Dragonscale Throne.”


He sets the parchment on the table, then continues, smirking a bit. ”A bit ostentatious, but royalty do enjoy their grand gestures. What’s important is that you all will have the protection of official sanction and unofficial deniability in your efforts of exploring, mapping, and resolving whatever threats you encounter in Greenbelt of the Stolen Lands. Beyond this piece of parchment (and several more with which to record your explorations), you will be receiving sufficient supplies to travel to Oleg’s Trading Post, the last bastion of civilization before the untamed Stolen Lands. Additionally, the Sword Lords of Restov have a keen interest in your success, and will be providing further support in money and manpower should you prove up to the task.”

He folds his hands. “Now, that may be all somewhat mundane, if having a significant impact on any that might call that tract of uncivilized land their home.” He nods significantly at Sera. ”But more importantly, however, you have the potential to establish a permanent foothold in the Stolen Lands, perhaps for the first time in generations. And that? That is where things could become most interesting, indeed.” He flashes a cryptic smile.


Female Elf Ranger (Guide, Trapper) 1/Wizard (Exploiter) 1 | HP 8/17 | AC 20 T 13 FF 17 | Fort +3 Ref +5 Will +3 | Initiative +5 | Perception +8 (+9 vs traps or in forests) | Arcane Reservoir 3/4 | Mage Armor

Túrante inclines her head gracefully as her name is cited, and listens intently to the Solicitor. Finally, as he wraps up and gives his cryptic smile, she says, "The consequences for carrying this document could be severe, in the event of an encounter with certain anti-Surtovan sentimentalists. Ergo, you expect us to act with some discretion, or else..." her eyes flicker for a moment, "... you have some deniable catspaw, some way to dismiss this document as a 'clear forgery' in the event of political malfeasance." She leans back slightly and pushes a stray lock of her blonde hair away from her face. "So the real aim of this effort is to head off a civil war. Success in this endeavor lets the Swordlords show that they are taking steps to protect Restov and the southern border. Conversely, it does not risk moving troops through Restov's territory, a maneuver that could be seen as deliberately provocative, given the current climate of Issian-Rostland relations. Furthermore, this operation could potentially create a dependency on the south side of Restov, thereby carrying out a grand enfilade of the city and its territories and blunting any separatist ambitions that might come up."

She blinks once languidly and adds, "Just so that we are all on the same page, politically speaking."


Exploration | Roles | Olegs Trading Post | Woods

The Solicitor doesn't bat an eye at Túrante's description. "Nothing so sinister as that, but you have hit on the delicate politics of the situation. There are those on both sides of the conflict that would alternately cheer or condemn such this Expedition. Issian loyalists hope that new opportunities to the South will give dissidents something abroad to focus on. Rostland supporters seek a neutral, or at least favorable, Southern border without the threat of banditry, or worse. Neither side wants to dedicate troops away, or have a venture that would give political leverage against them."

He makes a sweeping motion to the group, and the table set before them. "Thus, the situation we are in. Within the group several different interests are represented: minor functionaries of multiple Houses, foreigners and even a native of the Stolen Lands. It is my intent that it would be hard pressed for any side to spin yours into a specific angle." He grins and walks over to the bar-table, pouring himself a glass of wine, before returning his attention back to the group.

"I do hope that you all enjoy the refreshments I had prepared. Should you accept this offer, this may be the best meal that you will have for some time."


Male LG Human (Taldan) Cavalier (Order of the Flame) 4 | HP: 43/43| AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21 Fl) | CMB: +8 CMD: 19 | F: +6, R: +2, W: +3 | Init: +1 | Perc: +9, SM: +1 | Speed 20ft | Challenge 1/1 | Glorious Challenge Counter=0 | Active conditions: None

Emil looks shocked, taken aback by the direct and to-the-point manner of the man. He ponders the elven woman Turante's words for a moment before chiming in. "Sooo... We're deniable assets on a mission to save the realm from itself. Okay... But why us? Not that I'm not flattered... " He looks at the others in the room with an air of confusion, skepticism and disbelief, stopping for an instant upon the girl from the road with the wolf. Where is that wolf now? Returning his focus upon the present he goes on, setting the bottle aside:"...but we're an odd bunch to select for that kind of task."

Doh! Guy answered the question I was busy typing.


Male CG Human (“Brevoy”) Alchemist 4 HP: 14/23 | AC: 21 (15 Tch, 12 Fl) | CMB: +0, CMD: 13 | F: +3, R: +6, W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +6, SM: +2 | Speed 60ft | Bombs: 3/8 | Extracts: 0/4, 0/2 | Active conditions: Shield, Expeditious Retreat, Bomber's Eye, Dex Mutagen

Emil seems to speak the words at the forefront of Audsley's mind; the plump alchemist nods quickly in agreement.

"Yes, quite. I know that I am considered a - a, well, learned man by some, but I would be quite surprised to hear of any 'reputation' that I might have garnered. Not, as the good Sir Mordrane has said, that I'm not flattered..."

He leans forward, listening intently to see what the answer may be.


Exploration | Roles | Olegs Trading Post | Woods

The man merely shrugs at the questions regarding who was selected for the Expedition. "An... eclectic... collection of individuals you may be, but I believe each of you carry a mixture of skills, experience, and potential uniquely suited to form a team to accomplish this task. Even if some of you may question that within others of the group or yourselves, I can assure you that it is not in my interests or yours to fail in this endeavor."

He swirls his wine in his glass a moment and takes a sip, clearly weighing something. "There... may... be other groups sent to different regions of the Stolen Lands with similar purpose. However, if I was a betting man, yours is the horse I would pick."

He swallows the rest of the wine in his glass and sets it down. "Regardless, whether you seek to make a name for yourself or reclaim your name, to defend your home or to make a new home for yourself, to discover the past of the Stolen Lands or of yourself, I can assure you this is a once in a lifetime opportunity."

He glances towards each of you, his eyes prying deeply. "Do you accept it?"


Female Aasimar Druid 1 Wizard 3 | HP: 27/27 | AC: 16 12 (12 Tch, 10 Fl) | CMB: +2, CMD: 14 | F: +5, R: +4, W: +8 | Init: +6 | Perc: +6 (Darkvision 60 ft.), SM: +2 | Speed 30ft | Inspiration: 3/3, SNA 2: 1/1 | Active conditions: Mage armor.

Franka looks fondly at Audsley when he's addressing Túrante. She has no idea what he's saying, although some words sound familiar from her knowledge of Sylvan and Druidic. She's about to ruffle his hair before remembering that he's not fifteen anymore, and quickly disguises the gesture by grabbing another piece of bread.

--

She listens with interest to the words of the Solicitor, looking at each person in turns as he introduces them. She has to blink twice at Emil's apparent association with House Lebeda, trying to fit this boisterous lout in with the people she has known most of her life. Old habits die hard though, and she gives him a polite and deep nods of her head. This is nothing compared to her confusion at hearing Lady Túrante introduced as a member of the Royal Elven court. She looks at the others for guidance, and the fact that she's sitting down is probably the only thing to prevent her from dropping into a deep curtsy.

She follows the rest of the discussion with interest, although it's clear that the finer points of politics are lost on her. She tries to distill things to its simplest form. "We'll have free reign to do as we see fit down there, as long as we stay within the broad limits of the charter. You mentioned further support from the Sword Lords, but I gather that we'll be on our own, essentially. It's just the six of us to explore the land, no surprises or strings attached..." She looks over the group once more. Odd mixture of folk, but it seems like it's now or never. Worst comes to worst, I'll get a look to see how bad it is down there, and whether the stories about the Æther Vale are really true.

"I'm in."

Sovereign Court

LG Half-Elf Cavalier/Bard 4 | HP: 39/39 | AC: 21 (12 Tch, 19 Fl) | CMB: +5, CMD: 17 | F: +6, R: +5, W: +3 | Init: +2 | Perc: +4, SM: +1 | Speed 20ft (50ft. Mounted) | Tactician (0/1) | Challenge (0/1) |Performance: (0/7)|Spells: (0/2)| Active conditions:

Multiple independent teams, semi-official support, plausible deniability. We're just a fancy militia group with a flowery name, Janna thinks to himself, trailing off into more vocal thought. "Still, this could postpone the civil war. And even that is an end worth fighting for. Count me in," he finishes, punctuating with a salute.


Female NG Druid (Green Faith Initiate) 2 | HP: 18/18 | AC: 17 (12 Tch, 15 Fl) | CMB: +3, CMD: 15 | F: +4, R: +2, W: +6 | Init: +2 | Perc: +8, SM: +3 | Speed 30ft | Spells: 1st 3/3 | Active conditions: None.

Sera moved to huddle over the charter once it was presented for all to see, her eyes looking upon it with suspicion as she idly scratched her chin. Never trust a piece of paper, especially one written by politicians. She frowned as the discussion around her continued, forming her own thoughts on the issue. For the past three days she had pled her case to the officials of Restov, only to always be met with excuses and promises she knew would go unfulfilled. Instead they sought to solve the problem with this? Five adventurers, most of whom looked like they wouldn't last a week in the wilderness, and a piece of paper that was nothing more than a way to let a bunch of nobles feel good about themselves?

Sera's held tilted toward the Solicitor, the anger and frustration of the last few days being redirected toward him. His words of praise for those gathered were perfectly tailored for assuaging her doubts but that only served to make her hate him more. Sera placed both hands onto the table and leaned heavily against it, letting out a frustrated sigh as her head fell between her shoulders. Sera wanted to argue - to let it all out and yell and scream until everyone saw things her way, maybe even punch the Solicitor in his stupid smug face just to feel better - but the fact remained that this was the only real aid anyone had offered thus far. Maybe she could make it work. Maybe they could hold out until the Swordlords got off their butts and sent the real soldiers they had promised. She didn't like it and neither would Oleg but it was better than nothing.

With another sigh, Sera pushed herself back upright and folded her arms indignantly. "Fine. What do I need to do?"


Male CG Human (“Brevoy”) Alchemist 4 HP: 14/23 | AC: 21 (15 Tch, 12 Fl) | CMB: +0, CMD: 13 | F: +3, R: +6, W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +6, SM: +2 | Speed 60ft | Bombs: 3/8 | Extracts: 0/4, 0/2 | Active conditions: Shield, Expeditious Retreat, Bomber's Eye, Dex Mutagen

"I, ah, well then." Audsley chews his lower lip as he moves over to the dinner table, and busies himself loading several canapes with all manner of delicacies. His fingers move with a flickering delicacy, almost like those of a concert organist, till at last he has a small plate laden with gorgeous confectionery creations.

Taking this he moves to sit next to Franka, setting the plate out so that she can partake.

"I must admit that the subtleties of the political interests elude me, seeing as I am but a simple alchemist, but, hmm." He lifts an improbably towered cracker and hesitates. "Yes? I suppose one must seize these little opportunities when they come, mustn't one? A chance for derring-do and adventure. To make our mark upon this great and terrible world." He smiles weakly at the group as if laughing at his own words.

"I suppose I am in?" He then turns to beam at Franka. "We're in cahoots!"


Female Aasimar Druid 1 Wizard 3 | HP: 27/27 | AC: 16 12 (12 Tch, 10 Fl) | CMB: +2, CMD: 14 | F: +5, R: +4, W: +8 | Init: +6 | Perc: +6 (Darkvision 60 ft.), SM: +2 | Speed 30ft | Inspiration: 3/3, SNA 2: 1/1 | Active conditions: Mage armor.

Audsley's proud smile has Franka bellowing a laugh, and this time she does ruffle his hair. She regards him fondly, with a hint of mockery, and raises her glass to him. Boys will be boys... "Here's to derring-do and adventure, Audsley!"


Female Elf Ranger (Guide, Trapper) 1/Wizard (Exploiter) 1 | HP 8/17 | AC 20 T 13 FF 17 | Fort +3 Ref +5 Will +3 | Initiative +5 | Perception +8 (+9 vs traps or in forests) | Arcane Reservoir 3/4 | Mage Armor

"It is, of course, my responsibility to help," says Túrante simply.


Male LG Human (Taldan) Cavalier (Order of the Flame) 4 | HP: 43/43| AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21 Fl) | CMB: +8 CMD: 19 | F: +6, R: +2, W: +3 | Init: +1 | Perc: +9, SM: +1 | Speed 20ft | Challenge 1/1 | Glorious Challenge Counter=0 | Active conditions: None

Emil looks around and sees the distrust in the others' eyes. That same ... infuriating ... dismissive attitude of the stupid Taldane, with his flowery southern manners and his "joie de vivre" as the Galtan expression went. "I'm in as well." he says, a little more forcefully than he intended to. Realizing that, he pretends to busy himself with the foodstuff set on the table. They don't know you, at least not yet. You'll show them you're not what they think you are. Whatever that is. So relax. Take a slice of that pie. Might be the last time you eat pie in the next year."


Exploration | Roles | Olegs Trading Post | Woods

The Solicitor claps his hands together. "Splendid!" he exclaims. "I'm happy to answer any further questions that I am able to, but I do suggest that you enjoy the meal. It's unlikely that you will have such fare while enjoying a cold camp, I'm afraid."

He nods at the Charter, still on the table. "Beyond that, I have arranged rooms for you all here for tonight, and provisions to last the journey to the Trading Post will be arriving in the morning. There is still time for last minute shopping, as needed but I am sure some of you would prefer setting off sooner rather than later."

Feel free to ask questions, or rp as desired. I'll move things along to the "real" start of the campaign tomorrow in the morning, but we can retcon back to here later as needed.


Female Aasimar Druid 1 Wizard 3 | HP: 27/27 | AC: 16 12 (12 Tch, 10 Fl) | CMB: +2, CMD: 14 | F: +5, R: +4, W: +8 | Init: +6 | Perc: +6 (Darkvision 60 ft.), SM: +2 | Speed 30ft | Inspiration: 3/3, SNA 2: 1/1 | Active conditions: Mage armor.

Franks notices Emil scowling and gives him a smile that is meant to be comforting and encouraging. She then digs into the food that Audsley had set in between them. Between two bites, she addresses the Solicitor. "You mentioned this Trading Post before. What can we expect there?"


Female NG Druid (Green Faith Initiate) 2 | HP: 18/18 | AC: 17 (12 Tch, 15 Fl) | CMB: +3, CMD: 15 | F: +4, R: +2, W: +6 | Init: +2 | Perc: +8, SM: +3 | Speed 30ft | Spells: 1st 3/3 | Active conditions: None.

Sera interjects herself into the conversation before the Solicitor has a chance to answer Franka's question with his practiced pleasantries. The girl leans toward him, resting her chin in her palm and offering up a feigned smile. As she began speaking, the druid adopted the calm and calculated manner of speaking displayed by the man in front of her in a way that was almost certainly meant to mock him. "Yes, Solicitor, why don't you tell them about the parts you left out? Like maybe how two of the most kindhearted people you could ever hope to meet stand to lose their livelihood and lives because people they thought were their friends are too busy playing politics to stop and help? Or maybe...!"

One of Sera's hands had balled into a fist and her breathing became heavier, the pretense of her false civility lost to passion. "Maybe tell them about the bandits? How organized they've become; how much of a threat they are. Convenient that you would leave that out too."


Exploration | Roles | Olegs Trading Post | Woods

The Solicitor barely raises an eyebrow at Sera's outburst, calmly listening until she finishes. "Yes, this... bandit threat. Personally, I prefer to let a primary witness speak to things like that," he looks at Sera pointedly, "as yours is most detailed account thus far. However..." he appears to think a moment, almost as if he is visibly scanning a ledger, before continuing.

"We have heard reports from some few merchants on the South Rostland Road of banditry, but there is always banditry on the South Rostland Road. The current reach of Brevic patrols fall short a day's ride west of Fort Serenko."

"Yours is the first word of an organized band and a leader in the Greenbelt I have heard of in some time, this 'Stag Lord', is it? While I can hope that this band has fallen upon itself as is inevitable for this type of unsavory scum, these bandits will likely be the greatest hindrance you will face in your venture into the Stolen Lands. I know of little else that is actionable at this time and you will likely need to learn more first hand. Organized groups of bandits are volatile at best."

He softens a bit and addresses Sera directly, "You should know that within the ranks of the Swordlords, there are those quite sympathetic to your plight. But your 'kindhearted people' chose their own path, and the place they call home with purpose. I'm sure a painful amount of pride was swallowed to even send you with a call for aid. However, I can assure you that even if it was possible to send a full column of Brevic knights to deal with the treat, that is probably the least thing your friends would want."

He turns to Franka, "As to the alluded to 'Trading Post', Oleg and Svetlana Leveton operate the last haven of civilization on the fringe of the Stolen Lands. Quite decent people, some of the best, I've been lead to believe" he nods in deference to Sera "And I'm sure that you will be spending quite a deal of time there in your near future."

Sovereign Court

LG Half-Elf Cavalier/Bard 4 | HP: 39/39 | AC: 21 (12 Tch, 19 Fl) | CMB: +5, CMD: 17 | F: +6, R: +5, W: +3 | Init: +2 | Perc: +4, SM: +1 | Speed 20ft (50ft. Mounted) | Tactician (0/1) | Challenge (0/1) |Performance: (0/7)|Spells: (0/2)| Active conditions:

Janna envisions an entire column of Brevic knights tromping through at most 350 feet of the Stolen Lands before breaking into petty squabbles about which house should occupy which spot in the column before breaking into actual infighting.

"Organized groups of bandits would be better organized," he thinks out loud. "Just how many people does this Stag Lord employ? A dozen? A hundred?"

He's going to tell us 'there's no available recon,' Janna's inner cynic says.


Female Aasimar Druid 1 Wizard 3 | HP: 27/27 | AC: 16 12 (12 Tch, 10 Fl) | CMB: +2, CMD: 14 | F: +5, R: +4, W: +8 | Init: +6 | Perc: +6 (Darkvision 60 ft.), SM: +2 | Speed 30ft | Inspiration: 3/3, SNA 2: 1/1 | Active conditions: Mage armor.

Franka regard the outburst of the young girl with curiosity and nods thoughtfully after the Solicitor's answer, seemingly with a bit more respect for the girl. So, she's truly bound to the Stolen Lands. The fact that she's made a living down there shows she is capable and being here means she's determined to do whatever it takes. Elder Annik would have liked her.I have no idea how this Solicitor got us all together, but that brings hope for our chances, if we're all like that.


Exploration | Roles | Olegs Trading Post | Woods
Janna d'Hoiess wrote:

Janna envisions an entire column of Brevic knights tromping through at most 350 feet of the Stolen Lands before breaking into petty squabbles about which house should occupy which spot in the column before breaking into actual infighting.

"Organized groups of bandits would be better organized," he thinks out loud. "Just how many people does this Stag Lord employ? A dozen? A hundred?"

He's going to tell us 'there's no available recon,' Janna's inner cynic says.

"I highly doubt that a hundred bandits could last together long; there isn't enough to tide them over, besides. There could be a few dozens at most, though groups of men like that tend to be loosely organized and distributed at best. Odds are low that you would encounter much more than your number unless you've well and truly kicked the hornets nest."


Exploration | Roles | Olegs Trading Post | Woods

Pushing things forward a bit, but we can go back and forth to answer questions or resolve anything that comes up.

After any remaining questions are cleared up, the Solicitor leaves you to speak together and finish your meal. In the morning, you find horses in the stables for any of the party that need one (a loan from the Solicitor) and saddlebags filled with ample rations to tide you over on your journey. After any remaining arrangements are resolved, the group sets off, heading northwest along the South Rostland Road.

<Post 1>

The journey lasts four uneventful days including a brief stop over in Nivikta's Crossing and a night's stay in Fort Serenko, the final permanent presence Brevoy holds in the region. Knight Captain Garrek, the commanding officer of the Fort, remains appologetic that he was unable to help Sera and the Trading Post further, but volunteers to ride out with the group as far as his routine patrol takes them.

<Post 2>

As the Road veers sharply North, you can clearly see where Brevoy's reach ends a half day's ride and the patrol turns around to return to Fort Serenko. Farms that frequently dotted the rolling plains north of the road fall off, becoming increasingly sporadic, and for the last half of the day you only see the rare hollowed ruins of buildings and the dirt paved road you follow.

<Post 3>

The 10-foot tall solid log walls that surround Oleg's Trading Post are a welcome sight after almost an entire day's travel without a single sign of civilization. A small plume of smoke suggests a cookfire is active within and you can see where a solid gate is closed on the South side of the fortification.

<Post 4>

Sera:
The gate being closed at this time of day is a strange sight to you: the gate is almost always open during the day, only being closed in the most severe of weather.

Audsley:
With your trained eyes you notice a mixture of new and old material making up the structure of the fortification, some ranging for decades old with a majority repaired within a year or two at most.

As you approach the Trading Post, Zev lets out a happy howl and trots back and forth from where Sera walks towards the gates, whimpering excitedly. From the South East watchtower, you can see a middle aged man with light hair and deep red muttonchops looking your way apprehensively at first, until he spies Sera and Zev. In (to Sera, a rare sign of excitement) a large grin breaks across his face and turns and shouts towards the center of the fortification, "Svetlana, Sera's back! Six more for Supper!"

Turning towards the approaching group, he slings a crossbow he had evidently been holding accross his back, and yells out, "Just a minute, I'll have the gate open in a moment" before he walks down a platform inside the walls. "Come in, and welcome to the Trading Post" he calls out as the gate slowly creaks open.

<Post 5>

Immediately inside, you can see a stables with wagon set up beside it, and several other wood buildings inside the fortification. The burly man you take to be Oleg gestures towards the stable, saying, "Come, your horses look like they've seen some miles. See to them, then we'll get down to business."

<Post 6>

In short order, the horses are unsaddled and stabled, filling each stall. Clearly the building was created to hold this capacity, but it has been some time since this many horses have been inside at once. Just as you are finishing with the stabling, a melodic voice calls out: "Stew is ready, come get it while it's hot!" Oleg shrugs and says, "my wife Svetlana will skewer me if supper gets cold, best to see to that."

In the small courtyard between the buildings, a beautiful blonde headed woman in her twenties with a kerchief holding back her hair is setting a large pot of stew on one of the two large wooden tables, complete with 8 bowls and spoons set around it. She immediately rushes towards Sera when she sees her though, hugging her tightly. Several of the party can also notice Oleg casually gives Zev a marrow bone, which the wolf noisily goes to chewing under the table.

<Post 7>

After getting set down to the meal (a surprisingly good, if rustic stew), Oleg clears his throat and looks serious as he asks, "Since you're came with Sera, I assume you all are here about the Bandit problem?"

<Post 8>


Male LG Human (Taldan) Cavalier (Order of the Flame) 4 | HP: 43/43| AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21 Fl) | CMB: +8 CMD: 19 | F: +6, R: +2, W: +3 | Init: +1 | Perc: +9, SM: +1 | Speed 20ft | Challenge 1/1 | Glorious Challenge Counter=0 | Active conditions: None

Emil glances back at Franka, clearly bothered by his own perceived pettiness, but before a single word can leave his month Sera begins talking. Or giving a talking-to the Solicitor. As Janna asks for more information from the Solicitor he sets aside his plate and takes a knee before the girl. "Are you talking about your parents? The ones that gave me shelter? He shakes his head quickly, as if dismissing his entire line of questioning. "It doesn't matter. Sera, ... Heh, this is going to sound corny and presumptuous" he says with a quickly dismissed air of self-derision. "Whatever. I promise you, upon my honor, that I will help your folks and rid the land of these bandits. I only have one word, and I do not break it for anyone. And ... I mean .. I'm not always lost and easily threatened by wolf-dogs that protect little girls. So,... Uh... Does that make you feel any better? he finishes, wincing as he steels himself for the inevitable rebuke.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Post 4

"I remember this place! I was here, briefly. Stayed overnight on my way further north to meet with the... Well, to meet some of the Lebedas. Didn't realize this was the place we'd be staying at as we explore, and more importantly deal with those bandits."

Post 6

Emil helps the man stable the horses.

Post 8

Emil's expression grows serious, yet he cannot keep out a hint of the eagerness he feels. "More or less, yes sir we are." Turning to the others he continues: "Truth be told, while I appreciate what our Solicitor friend was saying about saving Brevoy by exploring brave new hills, I am more concerned about the bandits right now than anything else. Aroden's teeth, misery follows men like that, especially if they think they can get away with anything. At first light, I say we..." His air of righteous Taldane indignation falters and makes way to halting awkwardness as he realizes that he does not know where the Stag lord and his followers are or anything about the lay of the land. "Ah... Find out where they are lairing. Or ask our host right now: Master Oleg! What can you tell us about the Stag Lord and his ruffians?" he finishes, punctuated by a loud, almost mocking neigh.


Male CG Human (“Brevoy”) Alchemist 4 HP: 14/23 | AC: 21 (15 Tch, 12 Fl) | CMB: +0, CMD: 13 | F: +3, R: +6, W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +6, SM: +2 | Speed 60ft | Bombs: 3/8 | Extracts: 0/4, 0/2 | Active conditions: Shield, Expeditious Retreat, Bomber's Eye, Dex Mutagen

The intensity of Sera's outburst clearly takes Audsley aback, and for a moment he doesn't know where to look, embarrased to be witnessing what is obviously a very personal matter. He settles for lowering his chin to his chest and fiddling with the canapes. When Emil makes his heartfelt declaration, however, his anxiety departs, and he raises a glass.

"Here here! Not the most heroic of declarations, I'm afraid, given the hesitations at the end, but the intention! Yes, the intention was most grand! I'll drink to that, and second the motion. To ridding all lands of all bandits, but in particularly the land we're going to. Yes?" He beams and looks around.

Post 5, 6, 7, & 8

Audsley is not a graceful rider, and sits atop his saddle with all the aplomb of a sack of potatoes. He wears a long suffering look, however, as if he made his peace with this particular form of torture long ago, and makes no complaint other than to sigh loudly and pointedly each night as he dismounts and walks stiffly around with crooked legs.

Riding at the back of the group, he peers up the Trading Post as they're hailed, face crinkling as he focuses through his glasses at the sentry, and then grins as he realizes they're recognized and made welcome. He happily dismounts and stables his horse, and them chuckling and rubbing his hands at the prospect of a civilized meal follows everyone inside to be seated and fed.

Emil speaks, and Audsley nods rapidly, clearly wanting to make it known to one and all that he is in complete agreement with the young knight. He adjusts his glasses as they go to slip off the end of his nose, and then refills anyone's glass that is empty in anticipation of am imminent toast.


Female Elf Ranger (Guide, Trapper) 1/Wizard (Exploiter) 1 | HP 8/17 | AC 20 T 13 FF 17 | Fort +3 Ref +5 Will +3 | Initiative +5 | Perception +8 (+9 vs traps or in forests) | Arcane Reservoir 3/4 | Mage Armor

<Post 1>

As the group heads south, it becomes clear that Túrante is a trained rider. She seems to have an easy rapport with all of the horses, in much the same fashion as the druidesses.

She rides aside Audsley for a bit, and asks, "Why did you decide to study the elven language?" She regards him curiously, without making any presupposition or assumption about his motivations -- instead waiting to hear his reasons.


Female Aasimar Druid 1 Wizard 3 | HP: 27/27 | AC: 16 12 (12 Tch, 10 Fl) | CMB: +2, CMD: 14 | F: +5, R: +4, W: +8 | Init: +6 | Perc: +6 (Darkvision 60 ft.), SM: +2 | Speed 30ft | Inspiration: 3/3, SNA 2: 1/1 | Active conditions: Mage armor.

Post 1

Franka continues eating the meal in front of them while talking wih Audsley, asking him plenty of questions on what he's been up to the past years. She also tells him a bit of her life since they last met, saying she has traveled a lot, spent quite some time in the wilderness with various wise men and women to learn of their ways. Once she's sure that the others are engaged in conversation, she confides that she might be on the verge of a large breakthough, leaving the topic with the mention that she'll tell him more when they have the time. Who knows that the others might think. Being labeled a barbarian for having lived with the Kellid won't do, at all.

As they pick up their horses, Franka gives plenty of attention to her mount. "Come, Heimdall. It seems like it's finally time. You'll get me to that rainbow after all." She give Emil's and Janna's horse a quick look, obviously admiring their quality. "That's a fine horse, Master d'Hoiess. Still a bit green, though...?" She drops to her haunches to check under the horse. "Stallion or gelding?"

Post 2

As the group get underway, it's quite apparent that Franka feels at home outdoors, and is very chatty with her horse. She keeps her distance from Lady Túrante, despite various moments where she's seems about to start a conversation with the elven woman. What do you say to one of the Elven Court? My lady? Your Royal Highness? Instead, she gravitates towards Audsley, telling him of her intention to study the Æther in the Stolen Lands, and Sera, whom she asks quite a lot of questions concerning the lands they're about to explore.

Post 4

Franks reigns in Heimdall as they spot the Outpost. "Well, that seems quite impressive for something so far off from civilization. I had expected something a bit more... humble. I guess it's for the best, though. It seems quite defensible." As they ride toward the outpost, she rides alongside Emil. Unrecognized heir, huh? "You mentioned the Lebeda's before. I know it might be an awkward topic, but I would be really interested to hear about your connection with them. Maybe later?"

Post 5, 6, 7

Franks takes her cues from Sera when they reach the compound and are greeted by Oleg. She thanks him politely for the welcome, sees to her own horse and then helps Audsley with his. She looks surpised at meeting Svetlana, who is much younger than she would have thought. Eat me! That's not her mother... She doesn't comment, though. "Thank you, Ma'am, for the kind welcome. I'm Francesca Aigner, pleased to me you." She sits down, content to eat the food she's been given while observing the interaction between Sera, Sev, Oleg, and Svetlana.

"Well, Emil. That's certainly right to the point. Why don't we enjoy these people's gracious hospitality first? There'll be plenty of time to talk about the current state of affairs after dinner." She continues to address Oleg and Svetlana. "If things go as they're supposed to, we hope to enjoy your welcome for a while longer. We're not just here to help with the bandits, but to explore the surrounding lands as well. I hear it's a very interesting and diverse country, down here..."


Male CG Human (“Brevoy”) Alchemist 4 HP: 14/23 | AC: 21 (15 Tch, 12 Fl) | CMB: +0, CMD: 13 | F: +3, R: +6, W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +6, SM: +2 | Speed 60ft | Bombs: 3/8 | Extracts: 0/4, 0/2 | Active conditions: Shield, Expeditious Retreat, Bomber's Eye, Dex Mutagen

Audsley has actually pretending Túrante doesn't exist, insofar as he never addresses her or seeks interaction, but it's clear he's vividly aware of her at all moments. When she finally rides up next to him, he blushes to the roots of his hair and almost slides off the far side of his horse. Instead, he grips the reins tightly and smiles widely albeit with great strain.

"Oh, hello, why did I - I mean, के लिए आने वाले रोमांचक परिवर्तन कर रहे हैं."

He pauses, coughs, and then continues, trying to pitch his voice a little higher to make the elven sound right.

"So that's when I told him to jump in a lake, of course. जुलाई में शुरू, हम एक नए कॉलेज के भीतर सबसे बड़ा स्कूल होगा , अभी तक का नाम दिया जाएगा । यह संगठनात्मक संचार में एक डिग्री प्रदान करता है जो एफआईयू पर और ऐसे ग्राफिक और 3 डी डिजाइन."

He laughs nervously, checking to see if Turante is amused, and plunges on to the last bit. "So I brought him the alchemically treated white mouse and the little tub of lard, at which point he smiled! एनीमेशन, कलात्मक अभिव्यक्ति के रूप में क्षेत्रों में के साथ रणनीतिक साझेदारी की सुविधा, और निश्चित रूप से संचार कला के साथ "रचनात्मक वर्ग" लाता है कि एक कॉलेज , हो जाएगा। यह हमें सहयोग करने के बजाय, इन संबंधित विषयों के साथ प्रतिस्पर्धा करने के लिए अनुमति देगा।."

He gives a small one-shouldered shrug. "And that's how I came to learn elvish."

Elvish:

"Oh, hello, why did I - I mean, I've never been happy with being told no, so when a visiting elf bard told me I was too dumb to learn, I said, I can do it!"

"So that's when I told him to jump in a lake, of course. I found many books on the subject, but couldn't find a plan grammar text. Then to my/our eternal joy I found out that the castle wilderness tender had been an adventurer when infant, and knew the language. But he was very old and sharp, and wouldn't talk to me because his prized mouse slaying cat was passing into the Land of Dreams and Honeyed Mice."

He laughs nervously, checking to see if Turante is amused, and plunges on to the last bit. "So I brought him an alchemically treated white mouse and the little tub of lard, at which point he smiled. He used the lard on the cat's joints, and fed him with the mouse, and the cat became sprightly once more. He agreed to teach me, and together I him under studied for a year till he died."

He gives a small one-shouldered shrug. "And that's how I came to learn elvish."


Exploration | Roles | Olegs Trading Post | Woods

Oleg grimaces at the mention of the ‘Stag Lord’. ”No, you should know this. Three months ago, shortly after the first snowmelt, a dozen ruffians descended on the Trading post, claiming to be representatives of “The Stag Lord” and 'requiring payment of taxes', they said. Bald face extortion, I say, but the woman that spoke for the group had a pair of wicked axes and threatened to cut off my hand if we didn’t pay up. Some furs and trade goods weren’t worth the risk of violence, but they returned again twice more, always on the first of the month. Though the numbers they brought were fewer each time those parasites came to the gate, their demands have gotten more extreme! Last time they demanded that Svetlana give up her wedding ring, or they’d take her with them! I was about to shoot them then and there but-” Anger flushes his face, guilty and embarrassed at being so helpless, as Sveltana interrupts him.

She smiles sadly as she reaches out to her husband, an indention on her left ring finger still evident. ”But they threatened from the start to set the Trading Post on fire and kill us both if we resisted. As precious as it is, a bit of gold is nothing compared to losing you.”

Oleg seems uncomfortable by the display of affection in front of strangers, but doesn’t move away as he continues. ”If they follow schedule, those louts will be back, and tomorrow at that. I’d decided for myself that next time they came to call, they’d get a crossbow bolt in their guts to show for it; we can’t survive being bled dry each month. But with you here… maybe we can deal with these thugs, and give them a foot of steel! Maybe blunt the horns of this Stag Lord!”

It's clear that the Stag Lord mentioned isn't one of the bandits the Leventons have seen; the representatives have merely alluded to him. If you want to involve yourself, you have the remainder of that day and part of the next to do as you'd like and make any preparations. The bandits typically enter the Trading Post through the Gate, so you can set an ambush there, or meet them outside as desired.

You can also spend some time "officially" exploring this hex, which I'll give you for free.

Make your plans in the Discussion thread and let me know if you have any feedback. I know weekends are a bit slow, so I'll probably start the inevitable encounter with the bandits Sunday night to catch the most people, unless everyone will be around and ready.

Sovereign Court

LG Half-Elf Cavalier/Bard 4 | HP: 39/39 | AC: 21 (12 Tch, 19 Fl) | CMB: +5, CMD: 17 | F: +6, R: +5, W: +3 | Init: +2 | Perc: +4, SM: +1 | Speed 20ft (50ft. Mounted) | Tactician (0/1) | Challenge (0/1) |Performance: (0/7)|Spells: (0/2)| Active conditions:

Post 1

"Stallion," Janna chuckles at the red-haired lady observing his horse's testicles. Though you can probably see that for yourself. "It's previous owner was a horse thief- -my unit was responsible for the thief's capture- -and there's no need for a horse while you hang. His name is Preven, by the way."

Now

"Are they riders or footmen? If they're on foot, they will likely be unprepared for an entire unit of cavalry." His voice drops a degree. "There are five of us on horseback and a girl with a wolf. Those raiders will be ridden down by the time they realize they're being attacked."

We'll still need a plan. But at least it seems feasible.


Exploration | Roles | Olegs Trading Post | Woods
Janna d'Hoiess wrote:


Now

"Are they riders or footmen? If they're on foot, they will likely be unprepared for an entire unit of cavalry." His voice drops a degree. "There are five of us on horseback and a girl with a wolf. Those raiders will be ridden down by the time they realize they're being attacked."

We'll still need a plan. But at least it seems feasible.

"Well at the start there was a mix; about half on horse, the other half on foot. The last few times, the men have all been mounted with an extra pack mount to take back their ill-gotten goods. Most seemed a bit green in the saddle, though, likely having stolen horses and were quick to dismount as soon as they came into the Trading Post."


Female Aasimar Druid 1 Wizard 3 | HP: 27/27 | AC: 16 12 (12 Tch, 10 Fl) | CMB: +2, CMD: 14 | F: +5, R: +4, W: +8 | Init: +6 | Perc: +6 (Darkvision 60 ft.), SM: +2 | Speed 30ft | Inspiration: 3/3, SNA 2: 1/1 | Active conditions: Mage armor.

Post 1

Franka, soft-spoken until now, barks a laugh. "Hah! I shouldn't have asked. Never did see a man comfortable riding a horse who's balls had been chopped off." She claps a hand in front of her mouth as soon as she's spoken the words, shocked at her own coarse comment. "I'll be over there..." she mutters, waving somewhere off in the distance.

Now

Franka listens to Oleg and Svetlana's tale regarding the bandits. Defensible as this place is, if they can't hold their own, maybe they have no place down here. They're undoubtedly sweet folk, but it makes you wonder how they held out so long, if they fold for the first real threat to come knocking...

Franka looks up at Janna. "I'm not sure whether I'd call us a unit of cavalry yet. Me and Heimdall can hold our own if we're in danger, but I've never done anything like riding in a form. If we can split them up, I might be able to tie up a of them down. I've some skill in working with the grass and undergrowth to snare them in place." She looks around the group. "If we're going to do this, maybe we could do a round of suggestions, let people know what they can contribute? Then you should be able to come up with a plan of attack, using your tactical expertise?"


Male CG Human (“Brevoy”) Alchemist 4 HP: 14/23 | AC: 21 (15 Tch, 12 Fl) | CMB: +0, CMD: 13 | F: +3, R: +6, W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +6, SM: +2 | Speed 60ft | Bombs: 3/8 | Extracts: 0/4, 0/2 | Active conditions: Shield, Expeditious Retreat, Bomber's Eye, Dex Mutagen

Audsley hesitates, and then leans forward, his stomach pressing against the table's edge.

"I would rather not be part of any cavalry charge, if possible, as I would pose a greater danger to our formation and myself than any erstwhile enemy. Unless we seek to disarm them with laughter at the sight of me screaming and holding onto my horse from beneath it's stomach?"

He coughs to clear his throat. "Instead, I might be of greater use up in the tower, where I might have a clear vantage point to throw some alchemical vials that I've concocted. They tend to erupt in a very violent upon contact." He mimes throwing something at Emil, then mouths a silent boom as he throws his hands apart to mimic an explosion.


Female NG Druid (Green Faith Initiate) 2 | HP: 18/18 | AC: 17 (12 Tch, 15 Fl) | CMB: +3, CMD: 15 | F: +4, R: +2, W: +6 | Init: +2 | Perc: +8, SM: +3 | Speed 30ft | Spells: 1st 3/3 | Active conditions: None.

Post 1

Sera crossed her arms with a huff as she turned her head away from the Solicitor, making a show of ignoring him. Emil's proclamation and Audsley's toast were both met with a roll of the girl's eyes, seemingly taking offense at the levity in their comments. Sliding her chair free from the table, Sera stood, already making her way to the exit. "I'll be in my room."

The next morning as the group sets off, Sera looks down dejectedly and exhales a sigh as she prepares to say the words she had been dreading all night. "I'm sorry about last night. It's just been a frustrating couple of days and..." Sera let out another sigh, this one more sad than the previous one, and tucked the wayward strands of hair that had fallen in front of her face behind her ear as she looked back up. "I just...I appreciate what you are all doing, even if you have your own reasons for doing it."

Post 5-8

Sera calls out as she approaches and notices the strangely closed gate, a note of concern evident in her voice. "Oleg? Svetlana?" The concern immediately fades when Oleg's familiar face peeks over the ramparts, an excited smile crossing Sera's face. Still, she couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong, and Oleg's demeanor and the crossbow he carried only further reinforced that idea. As unsettling as it was, it didn't take Sera long to put those pieces together; Oleg intended to fight.

Sera went through the motions of putting her horse into the stable, though it was clear that something was on her mind. Only the sight of Svetlana brought her back, the girl returning the hug and placing her hands on Svetlana's shoulders. "It's so good to see both of you. I think I know why you two moved out here now. That city was awful." Sera continued to follow along behind Svetlana as everyone moved toward the meal she had set out, talking about her journey the entire way.

Sera only listened to Oleg and the others talk business, idly reaching down to pet Zev if only to take her mind off things. She dreaded the idea of fighting as the grimace on her face when Oleg spoke of his plans proved. Finally she chimed in, seeing an opportunity to back a plan that put the ones she cared about in the least amount of danger. "I think confronting them outside the gates would be safest. Oleg, Audsley, and anyone else can use the walls as a vantage point to deal with them quickly and without the threat going toe to toe with them would present."


Female Elf Ranger (Guide, Trapper) 1/Wizard (Exploiter) 1 | HP 8/17 | AC 20 T 13 FF 17 | Fort +3 Ref +5 Will +3 | Initiative +5 | Perception +8 (+9 vs traps or in forests) | Arcane Reservoir 3/4 | Mage Armor

<Post 1>

Túrante says mellifluously,

Elvish:
"That is very kind of you! I've heard it said that one can judge a person fairly by how that person treats animals and small children."

I don't know the trick of how to get the forum to display a different font.

She switches back to Taldane and continues, "I've always felt that the desire to learn another's language includes a wish to learn the way that speakers of that language think. I suppose the practical-minded would say that it is a necessary step toward diplomacy."

She seems at ease, devoid of any airs or insistence upon any sort of "royal treatment."


Male LG Human (Taldan) Cavalier (Order of the Flame) 4 | HP: 43/43| AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21 Fl) | CMB: +8 CMD: 19 | F: +6, R: +2, W: +3 | Init: +1 | Perc: +9, SM: +1 | Speed 20ft | Challenge 1/1 | Glorious Challenge Counter=0 | Active conditions: None
Francesca "Franka" Aigner wrote:

Post 1

Franka, soft-spoken until now, barks a laugh. "Hah! I shouldn't have asked. Never did see a man comfortable riding a horse who's balls had been chopped off." She claps a hand in front of her mouth as soon as she's spoken the words, shocked at her own coarse comment. "I'll be over there..." she mutters, waving somewhere off in the distance.

Emil blinks, stunned by Franka's words as she moves away, before saying to Janna:"Well. That was unexpected."

Sera Harlow wrote:

Post 1

The next morning as the group sets off, Sera looks down dejectedly and exhales a sigh as she prepares to say the words she had been dreading all night. "I'm sorry about last night. It's just been a frustrating couple of days and..." Sera let out another sigh, this one more sad than the previous one, and tucked the wayward strands of hair that had fallen in front of her face behind her ear as she looked back up. "I just...I appreciate what you are all doing, even if you have your own reasons for doing it."

Emil smiles as he waves away last night's more tense moments. "It's fine Sera; you're not the first to think I'm just posturing for the crowd, and that I'm just some dumb foreigner with a horse. But believe me when I say that I meant it. All of it. And I hope I'll get to prove it to you." he finishes with a roguish wink.

Audsley King wrote:

Audsley hesitates, and then leans forward, his stomach pressing against the table's edge.

"I would rather not be part of any cavalry charge, if possible, as I would pose a greater danger to our formation and myself than any erstwhile enemy. Unless we seek to disarm them with laughter at the sight of me screaming and holding onto my horse from beneath it's stomach?"

He coughs to clear his throat. "Instead, I might be of greater use up in the tower, where I might have a clear vantage point to throw some alchemical vials that I've concocted. They tend to erupt in a very violent upon contact." He mimes throwing something at Emil, then mouths a silent boom as he throws his hands apart to mimic an explosion.

Emil frowns, looking very much confused. "You mean, like those balls of fire the powerful college wizards like to throw around? How likely is it to spook a horse?" He leans back in his chair, thoughtfully. "Would you mind demonstrating what they do in front of Flora? She's my horse; and I don't think she'd be spooked but I'd rather try to get her used to that before we get into a fight. She's smart and brave, so hopefully even a little exposure would help."

Pointing at himself briefly he continues: "While I don't disagree with Sera's suggestion, sitting on a wall and launching arrows isn't my strong suit. I was a squire in the Taldan Horse, 4th colu... Ahem. Sorry, rote memory. My point is, most of my life I've been on horseback, charging really fast at other armored squires or at straw men. I'd prefer to take them on with Flora beneath me. And given how Janna's been riding Breven I think he would prefer to be on the back of his horse to take on our foes. Hard to miss the skillful display of a trained rider." he offers with a smile and a nod before turning to the elven noblewoman. "How about you milady? What is your strong suit in battle?"

1 to 50 of 1,276 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Kingmaker: Legacies Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.