GM Ladile & the Pathfinder Society Present: The Night March of Kalkamedes (Table A) (Inactive)

Game Master Lady Ladile

Wherein a group of Pathfinder agents tackle somnambulism!

Night March (Table A)


201 to 250 of 476 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Scarab Sages

Male Human Cleric (Sarenrae) /8 | HP: 26/59 | AC: 20 T: 14 FF: 17 | CMB: +6 CMD: 20 | Fort: +8 Ref: +5 Will: +11 | Init: +4 Perc: +12

Malusha stares up the face of the 100 foot tall cliff. If he thought his palms were sweaty before, it is nothing like they are now. "You know, I'm not sure I'm going to be able to climb up this wall." He tilts his head back to try to see the top and then starts to lose balance he shuffles his feet to keep from falling over.

"I guess I don't have any choice. I'll just have to try. But I might be very slow getting up."

Is it still a DC 5 climb check with the rope? Also, I have a 50 foot rope too.


Venture-Agent, Play-by-Post | League Group | TL;DR Group |

Marcel and Thunder quickly manage to grapple Kalkamedes once more, preventing him from any further attempts at freestyle rock-climbing - at least for the moment! While they're occupied, the rest of you quickly pool up your remaining rope and are relieved to find that you still have enough for Denair to carry with him to the top of the cliff. Once the ropes are tied together, the eidolon easily clambers up the side of the cliff and disappears over the edge once he reaches the top. After a couple of minutes, Meredith receives a signal from her partner and the rest of the rope comes tumbling back over the edge, ready for the group to make their ascent.
_______

Noted! I checked that two or three times and somehow missed it every single time - good to know for the future! And yep, still a DC 5 check with the rope. Having rope on hand really seems to trivialize most climb checks unless you're also under attack or whatnot at the time.

Liberty's Edge

AC:19 (T:14) (FF:15) | F:6 R:8 W:3 |HP:36/36 | Per. +9 Human Male Ranger 4

"I'll go up first," Marcel volunteers. "I'll just need someone to switch out with me to help Thunder so that Kalkamedes doesn't try to climb the cliff on his own."

Marcel releases his hold on Kalkamedes and walks over and begins to walk up the cliff face using the rope.

Climb: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18

The blonde haired ranger moves up the rope with a certain degree of body grace and reaches the top. He pulls himself up to a sitting position, wipes his brow and stands up.

"All in a night's work," he remarks to Denair as he readies an arrow in his bow and takes in the surroundings at the top and then back down toward the bottom of the cliff and the rest of the group, watching for any signs of danger.

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Denair (Unfettered 1 hour)| HP 51/51 | Spells -/4/4 | AC 15 T 11 FF 14 | CMD 17 | Saves 7/3/5 | Init 2 | Perception 0 (Denair 15) | 6 Female Human Unchained Summoner (Fey Caller) | GM Folio Reroll+2 |

"Go ahead Marcel, I'll keep Kalkamedes in check." Some of the roses on Meredith's head seem to blow in the wind. [i]Huh, I can barely feel Denair's presence. Best to keep her closer than this."[/b]


| 5 HD Female Eidolon Outsider (also counts as fey) | Meredith | Denair's HP 32/32 | AC 22 T 16 FF 18 | CMD 20 | Saves 5/3/4 (Evasion)| Init 2 | Perception 15 (Unfettered, Mage Armor 1 hour)

Denair happily climbs up the cliff. As she reaches the top, she feels some of her strength wane. Huh, I'm never this far from the Boss...it sure is tiring! Still, she reaches the top with little trouble and looks for something to brace the rope against.

If Denair strays more than 100 feet from Meredith, her max HP drops to 75% of its original value. Meredith will ask someone to use her CLW wand to restore the lost HP when she gets close enough to Denair to restore her max HP.

While waiting for the rest of party to catch up, she nods with Marcel. "This is the fun part. I could only imagine what all of this looked like from my home, but now I get to see it for real!"

I'm really happy I took the Climb evolution at this level.

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Internal Alchemist 8 HP 67/67 Fast Healing 4/4 | AC 19, T 12, FF 17 Uncanny Dodge| Fort +11, Ref +10, Will +5 | Init +2 | Perc +12, 60' Darkvision, Bombs (13/13) Fly (8/8) Effects: Ant Haul

Luurg nods and helps wrangle Kalkamedes with his rope leash as Marcel climbs up "No spitting on us from up dare mang! I bet you can see Russia from dare!" Luurg gets a loose grip on the the rope as he chuckles at his quip.

CMB + Heroism: 1d20 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 6 + 2 = 9

Liberty's Edge

3 people marked this as a favorite.
AC:19 (T:14) (FF:15) | F:6 R:8 W:3 |HP:36/36 | Per. +9 Human Male Ranger 4

"Russia? Must be somewhere in Ustalav that Luurg's talking about," Marcel remarks to Denair.

Every great quip artist needs a straight man.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
LG Human Paladin (OaV, Sacred Servant) 5 | HP: 49/49 | AC: 20, FF: 19 TCH: 11 | CMB: +7, CMD: 21 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +6 | Immune to Fear & Disease | Init: +4 | Speed 30/20 | LoH 5/4 | Smite Evil 1/1 | Active Conditions: Reroll, Aura of Courage +4, Divine Symbol +1 LoH/day

"Here.. we.. go.." Serge grunts, still recovering from the earlier descent. "One and two and one and two..." He creates a sort of mantra to ease the weight on his shoulders, muttering to himself as he reaches the zenith. "And two and..." He collapses, gasping for air. "Mith.. Mithril..."

Take 10 for 7!

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Yarricki:
FATIGUED hp 42/42 | Ac 21 T 11 FF 19 (incl barkskin +2) | I+1 | F+8 R+3 W+5 +2 vs. illusions | Perception +9
Thunder:
hp 37/37 | Ac 18 T 12 FF 13 (incl barkskin +2 | I+3 | F+7 R+7+Evasion W+1 | Perception +4 | Hunter's Trick 1/2
Reroll 1/1 | Animal Focus 0/1

"Nah, give me dragonhide any day of the week!" Yarricki answers while she tries to urge Thunder up.

Is a 19 enough to climb up for Thunder? I don't think she is able to use the rope

Scarab Sages

Male Human Cleric (Sarenrae) /8 | HP: 26/59 | AC: 20 T: 14 FF: 17 | CMB: +6 CMD: 20 | Fort: +8 Ref: +5 Will: +11 | Init: +4 Perc: +12

When it's his turn, Malusha grabs the rope and slowly climbs. When he makes it to the top he is drenched with sweat -- half from the exertion and half from the anxiety of the ordeal. He glances back down the cliff. "Whew! I wasn't sure I was going to make it. Climbing isn't my strength. Now, how are we going to get Kalkamedes up here?"

Liberty's Edge

Denair (Unfettered 1 hour)| HP 51/51 | Spells -/4/4 | AC 15 T 11 FF 14 | CMD 17 | Saves 7/3/5 | Init 2 | Perception 0 (Denair 15) | 6 Female Human Unchained Summoner (Fey Caller) | GM Folio Reroll+2 |

Once most of the party is up, Meredith hands the rope to Kalkamedes and sees if he will climb up the wall. Otherwise it's time to tie him up and lift him up the wall.

Meredith takes 10 to get a 12 Climb check.


Venture-Agent, Play-by-Post | League Group | TL;DR Group |

Nothing to See:

Luurg vs. Kalk: 1d20 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 6 + 2 = 27

As it turns out, going up is a much slower process than going down, but one by one, each of you haul yourselves up the rope once Denair has it secured to a particularly hefty boulder. Once most of you are at the top, Meredith takes a deep breath and puts the end of the rope into Kalkamedes hands and steps back. Whether its Kalkamedes' subconscious mind or simply muscle memory guiding him, he grasps the rope and begins shimmying his way up, going hand over hand as he does. After several tense moments, the sleepwalker safely reaches the top of the cliff - and of course attempts to continue on his way. Luckily this time Luurg is able to casually reach out and grab the 'leash', holding his ground against Kalkamedes' tugging as if the man were no more than an overgrown puppy.

Once Meredith reaches the top and the group collectively hauls Thunder up the cliff as well, Gamin - who had been oddly silent for the last several minutes - coughs.

"Ah...when it's time ta go home, ken we find a different way ta git thar? I ah...dinna care much for heights..." he asks, sounding a bit sheepish.
_______

Judging by the description/illustration of axebeaks I'd say that they're rather poor climbers but the group can easily attach the rope to Thunder and pull her up with their collective strength -might be a bit of a rough ride for her though :)

Liberty's Edge

Denair (Unfettered 1 hour)| HP 51/51 | Spells -/4/4 | AC 15 T 11 FF 14 | CMD 17 | Saves 7/3/5 | Init 2 | Perception 0 (Denair 15) | 6 Female Human Unchained Summoner (Fey Caller) | GM Folio Reroll+2 |

As Meredith and Denair get close, Denair perks up. Meredith pulls out her wand and asks Malusha to heal Denair.

Cure Light Wounds: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
Cure Light Wounds: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8

"Thanks. If we get too far, Denair grows weak, like a part of her broke off."

The Exchange

Internal Alchemist 8 HP 67/67 Fast Healing 4/4 | AC 19, T 12, FF 17 Uncanny Dodge| Fort +11, Ref +10, Will +5 | Init +2 | Perc +12, 60' Darkvision, Bombs (13/13) Fly (8/8) Effects: Ant Haul

Luurg looks back to Serge and his talking sword "Hopin da way back I'm not leadin dis mang by a leash da whole way! He tuffer den he look!" He gives a quick tug on the rope, trying to catch his lead off guard and gain the advantage.

"Just say when we ready n I'll let dis guy start goin!"

Silver Crusade

Yarricki:
FATIGUED hp 42/42 | Ac 21 T 11 FF 19 (incl barkskin +2) | I+1 | F+8 R+3 W+5 +2 vs. illusions | Perception +9
Thunder:
hp 37/37 | Ac 18 T 12 FF 13 (incl barkskin +2 | I+3 | F+7 R+7+Evasion W+1 | Perception +4 | Hunter's Trick 1/2
Reroll 1/1 | Animal Focus 0/1

"Here you go girl" Yarricki says as she holds out an apple for Thunder, while stroking the axebeak's head. "I know you didn't like it, but it was the only way we could get you up"

The gnome waits patiently until the bird has eaten the apple and then climbs into the saddle "I am ready"

Animal focus on Thunder back to Bull


"I'll move on ahead, like before," Marcel speaks as he looks around at the others. "Are you ready to go, Denair?"


| 5 HD Female Eidolon Outsider (also counts as fey) | Meredith | Denair's HP 32/32 | AC 22 T 16 FF 18 | CMD 20 | Saves 5/3/4 (Evasion)| Init 2 | Perception 15 (Unfettered, Mage Armor 1 hour)

"Yeah, let's go." Denair stretches her arm for a bit. And a bit more. And a bit more before snapping it back into place and scouting ahead.


Venture-Agent, Play-by-Post | League Group | TL;DR Group |

Nothing to See:

Marcel Stealth: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (11) + 10 = 21
Denair Stealth: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (14) + 14 = 28

Mama Bear Perc.: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23
Cub #1 Perc.: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21
Cub #2 Perc.: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25

After taking a few moments to dust yourselves off and catch your breath, the signal is given and Luurg allows Kalkamedes to resume his journey. Great bands of stars sweep across the cloudless night sky, illuminating a series of game trails that chase through the mountain shrubs and berry bushes.

Having gone back to scouting ahead, both Marcel and Denair do their best to move quietly through the shrubs and bushes. As they move along, both of them begin to hear what sounds like grunting and snuffling coming from further ahead. Rounding around some bushes, both of them freeze in their tracks as they spot what looks to be a grizzly bear and two juveniles enjoying a late-night snack of berries no more than maybe 30 or 40 feet away. Despite his best efforts to move quietly, Marcel's foot comes down on a small twig with a *snap* and all three bears pause in their eating to look up. The two juveniles quickly return to eating but the bigger bear watches Marcel cautiously for a few moments before returning to her meal as well.
_______

Please see Slide #6 for a visual representation. For now, Marcel and Denair are the only ones placed on the map as the rest of you are still about 60 feet behind them.


| 5 HD Female Eidolon Outsider (also counts as fey) | Meredith | Denair's HP 32/32 | AC 22 T 16 FF 18 | CMD 20 | Saves 5/3/4 (Evasion)| Init 2 | Perception 15 (Unfettered, Mage Armor 1 hour)

Denair pauses, silently looking at the bears.

Knowledge(Nature): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11

She knows they are bears, but that's about it.

Her concentration is broken as Marcel snaps a branch. She looks at him curiously and makes a motion to return to the party, she'll keep watch.

Liberty's Edge

AC:19 (T:14) (FF:15) | F:6 R:8 W:3 |HP:36/36 | Per. +9 Human Male Ranger 4

Marcel gives Denair an apologetic look for drawing the attention of the bears to them and then surveys the situation with the big bear and the two smaller ones.

Knowledge(Nature): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7

Although Marcel is fairly knowledgeable about the outdoors and wild animals, he's never dealt with a bear up close and in person, let alone three of them. In fact, this the first time he's ever seen a bear, period.

"They're just bears. And they don't appear to be acting aggressive," he states. Noticing Denair motioning him back, he nods. "I'll let the others know that they're here."

Of all the times to roll a 1, but I'm gonna play this result to the hilt.

Liberty's Edge

Denair (Unfettered 1 hour)| HP 51/51 | Spells -/4/4 | AC 15 T 11 FF 14 | CMD 17 | Saves 7/3/5 | Init 2 | Perception 0 (Denair 15) | 6 Female Human Unchained Summoner (Fey Caller) | GM Folio Reroll+2 |

Assuming they get back, Meredith frowns. "Hmm, let's find a way around those bears. That or we calm them down." She looks at Yarricki. "You have a way with animals, can you calm them down?"

Meredith has a +6 to Handle Animal, and she can cast Guidance. Maybe it's time for Wild Empathy?

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Internal Alchemist 8 HP 67/67 Fast Healing 4/4 | AC 19, T 12, FF 17 Uncanny Dodge| Fort +11, Ref +10, Will +5 | Init +2 | Perc +12, 60' Darkvision, Bombs (13/13) Fly (8/8) Effects: Ant Haul

Luurg frowns when Marcel mentions bears "Ugh, I hate bears, dey eat more fruit den 2 Luurgs could in one go! If you can't scare em off den Luurg happy to save da fruit here from dare nasty teef!" He gives an angry yank on the leash to stop Kalkamedes from heading forward.

CMB: 1d20 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 6 + 2 = 27

Silver Crusade

LG Human Paladin (OaV, Sacred Servant) 5 | HP: 49/49 | AC: 20, FF: 19 TCH: 11 | CMB: +7, CMD: 21 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +6 | Immune to Fear & Disease | Init: +4 | Speed 30/20 | LoH 5/4 | Smite Evil 1/1 | Active Conditions: Reroll, Aura of Courage +4, Divine Symbol +1 LoH/day

"If Kalkamedes stumbles into there..." Serge looks ahead at the bears anxiously. "Hold him still, Luurg. Let us see if any of us are able to calm these animals. I have a certain familiarity with horses, but bears..." He helps Luurg to secure Kalkamedes in place.

CMB: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13

Serge also had +6 to Handle Animal, if we decide to go that route.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Yarricki:
FATIGUED hp 42/42 | Ac 21 T 11 FF 19 (incl barkskin +2) | I+1 | F+8 R+3 W+5 +2 vs. illusions | Perception +9
Thunder:
hp 37/37 | Ac 18 T 12 FF 13 (incl barkskin +2 | I+3 | F+7 R+7+Evasion W+1 | Perception +4 | Hunter's Trick 1/2
Reroll 1/1 | Animal Focus 0/1

”I will try to pacify them, you wait here”

Wild Empathy, guidance: 1d20 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 + 1 = 20

Yarricki cautiously approaches the bears, holding out one of her many apples. ”Mother bear, please allow us to pass. We won’t harm your children, we are not here to fight”

The Exchange

Internal Alchemist 8 HP 67/67 Fast Healing 4/4 | AC 19, T 12, FF 17 Uncanny Dodge| Fort +11, Ref +10, Will +5 | Init +2 | Perc +12, 60' Darkvision, Bombs (13/13) Fly (8/8) Effects: Ant Haul

Timely 18 right there! But Luurg would happily end the evil, gluttonous, fruit competing bears...

K Nature vs Big Bad Bears: 1d20 + 9 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 9 + 2 = 26

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
AC:19 (T:14) (FF:15) | F:6 R:8 W:3 |HP:36/36 | Per. +9 Human Male Ranger 4

Marcel steps up next to Yarricki, possibly being the only other person in the group who knows what she's trying to do.

Aid Another(Wild Empathy): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15 "Please listen to my friend, mother bear and hear the truth in her words. We mean no harm to you or your little ones. We only wish to pass through."

Scarab Sages

Male Human Cleric (Sarenrae) /8 | HP: 26/59 | AC: 20 T: 14 FF: 17 | CMB: +6 CMD: 20 | Fort: +8 Ref: +5 Will: +11 | Init: +4 Perc: +12

"Bears?" Malusha looks a little bit scared. "We'll have to be careful. Can we just go around them?"

Liberty's Edge

Denair (Unfettered 1 hour)| HP 51/51 | Spells -/4/4 | AC 15 T 11 FF 14 | CMD 17 | Saves 7/3/5 | Init 2 | Perception 0 (Denair 15) | 6 Female Human Unchained Summoner (Fey Caller) | GM Folio Reroll+2 |

"We can, but Kalkamedes probably won't."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Venture-Agent, Play-by-Post | League Group | TL;DR Group |

While Luurg and Serge concentrate on keeping Kalkamedes from becoming a bear snack, Yarricki and Marcel both creep forward and speak soothing words to the protective mother bear and her cubs. She raises her head and both Marcel and Yarricki would swear to it that there's a spark of understanding in the creature's large brown eyes. Mama Grizzly regards the pair for a long moment...and then lowers its head slightly, as if acknowledging their words and understanding that she and her two cubs have nothing to fear from the travelers.

Mama Grizzly turns to her two cubs and utters a series of grunts and chuffs before slowly ambling away through the bushes towards the west. The cubs spare Marcel and Yarricki a quick glance before turning and crashing off after their mother, uttering an excited series of squeals and grunts. If you could understand them, you're certain that they would be chattering away about their encounter with you as two humanoid children might chatter about seeing an interesting sight while out and about with their parents. After a few minutes the sounds of their passage fade and all that can be heard are the peaceful sounds of chirping crickets and your own breathing.

"Whew...good thin' ye two were taggin' along, else ol' Kalk and tha rest of us might've wound up dessert for them critters," Gamin pipes up, uttering an awestruck whistle. "How'd ye learn yer way around dealin' with critters like that?"


| 5 HD Female Eidolon Outsider (also counts as fey) | Meredith | Denair's HP 32/32 | AC 22 T 16 FF 18 | CMD 20 | Saves 5/3/4 (Evasion)| Init 2 | Perception 15 (Unfettered, Mage Armor 1 hour)

Denair looks back and smiles. "Yaaay. Don't worry, we'll be gone from here soon!" She calls out to the bears.

"So, what's next?" She spins in a circle and then resumes scouting.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Yarricki:
FATIGUED hp 42/42 | Ac 21 T 11 FF 19 (incl barkskin +2) | I+1 | F+8 R+3 W+5 +2 vs. illusions | Perception +9
Thunder:
hp 37/37 | Ac 18 T 12 FF 13 (incl barkskin +2 | I+3 | F+7 R+7+Evasion W+1 | Perception +4 | Hunter's Trick 1/2
Reroll 1/1 | Animal Focus 0/1

Yarricki tenderly puts her hand against Thunder's neck "Animals have a much purer look on life than humanoids. There is no hidden agenda with them. An animal will never pretend to like you, it either does or does not. I always liked them more than most humanoids."

She hesitates for a moment before continuing "I wonder Gamin, you probably did not have a childhood or something like that. Where you sentient when the weapon smith made you? And do you feel it when you are used in combat?

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Internal Alchemist 8 HP 67/67 Fast Healing 4/4 | AC 19, T 12, FF 17 Uncanny Dodge| Fort +11, Ref +10, Will +5 | Init +2 | Perc +12, 60' Darkvision, Bombs (13/13) Fly (8/8) Effects: Ant Haul

"They's gone you sayin? Guess dey get to eat sumone else's fruit snacks. No bears live near Luurg, when one shows up and drops his poop on my doorstep, I drop my big poop right on top, show 'em who's boss!" He gives a fierce grin of teeth before releasing Kalkamedes to continue his trek.

"Here we go!"

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Denair (Unfettered 1 hour)| HP 51/51 | Spells -/4/4 | AC 15 T 11 FF 14 | CMD 17 | Saves 7/3/5 | Init 2 | Perception 0 (Denair 15) | 6 Female Human Unchained Summoner (Fey Caller) | GM Folio Reroll+2 |

"Heh. Are you mad because bears steal your picnic baskets, Luurg?" Meredith pokes fun at the guy for once. "Food flows from one person to another."

Liberty's Edge

AC:19 (T:14) (FF:15) | F:6 R:8 W:3 |HP:36/36 | Per. +9 Human Male Ranger 4

"My mentor Benton taught me a little bit about being able to communicate with wildlife," Marcel replies. "I've used it a time or two to talk with birds and squirrels. This is the first time I've used it to talk to a bear. First time I've seen one up close, too."

Marcel looks around at Denair. "Shall we?"

The Exchange

Internal Alchemist 8 HP 67/67 Fast Healing 4/4 | AC 19, T 12, FF 17 Uncanny Dodge| Fort +11, Ref +10, Will +5 | Init +2 | Perc +12, 60' Darkvision, Bombs (13/13) Fly (8/8) Effects: Ant Haul
Meredith Ulmari wrote:
"Heh. Are you mad because bears steal your picnic baskets, Luurg?" Meredith pokes fun at the guy for once. "Food flows from one person to another."

Luurg nods along at Meredith's realization "Heck ya I mad! Dey climb all over stuff and break branches and snap vines, and trample!" He stops and calms a bit, a slow, sly smile building "My food flows to dem, in the form of big poop on dare poop!"

Scarab Sages

Male Human Cleric (Sarenrae) /8 | HP: 26/59 | AC: 20 T: 14 FF: 17 | CMB: +6 CMD: 20 | Fort: +8 Ref: +5 Will: +11 | Init: +4 Perc: +12

Malusha grimaces at Luurgs comments. "Uh. Luurg. You certainly have interesting things to talk about." Malusha shakes his head. In all his travels he's never met someone quite like the friendly half-orc.

"Since the bears are gone, I guess we can move forward."

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
LG Human Paladin (OaV, Sacred Servant) 5 | HP: 49/49 | AC: 20, FF: 19 TCH: 11 | CMB: +7, CMD: 21 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +6 | Immune to Fear & Disease | Init: +4 | Speed 30/20 | LoH 5/4 | Smite Evil 1/1 | Active Conditions: Reroll, Aura of Courage +4, Divine Symbol +1 LoH/day

Serge applauds Yarricki and Marcel's success at coaxing the bears away, a wide smile on his face. "I have not seen such success speaking to animals before. Traveling with less-prepared allies could have meant those bears, or we, would be slaughtered here today, and for a more peaceful resolution, I am thankful." Dusting his hands off, he looks down at the broken sword. "Perhaps you could have tried your hand at calming them as well, Gamin. Nothing could possibly soothe a protective mother bear more than a talking sword," he playfully jabs.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Venture-Agent, Play-by-Post | League Group | TL;DR Group |

Gamin guffaws at Serge's (joking) suggestion that he might have a secret way with bears. "Har! Well, tell ye what - iffin' we run across another bunch of bears then I'll give sweet-talkin' them a try if ye'll git me close! Mebbe I'll end up bein' a Bear Whisperer or somethin'!"

As the group continues onward, the sword does grow quiet for a moment as he ponders Yarricki's question. "Tell ye tha truth lass, I dinna rightly ken. I mean, do any of ye remember bein' made? Or bein' born? I just...woke up, one day. An' I was already like ye see me now, 'warts' an' all," Gamin laughs dryly, obviously referencing the crack that runs through him. "An' do I feel it when I'm used ta chop heads an' limbs? Dang skippy I do, an' it feels great, like I'm actually bein' useful...leastways that's how it's been since I've been with ol' Kalk. He never did mind that I'm nae perfect..."

The sword suddenly harrumphs, as if embarrassed. "Here now, speakin' of ol' Kalk, we still gots a job ta do, eh? Best keep our minds on tha task at hand."
_______

Over the course of another two hours, the rough, mountainous scrubland gradually flattens and gives way to thicker copses of trees sustained by a series of chilly, narrow streams as Kalkamedes' trail meanders northwards again. Marcus and Denair range ahead of the group as they've done all night, scanning for potential threats and other obstacles. The pair follow an old dirt trail that cuts through the thick trees and underbrush and branches into a Y-intersection.

Nothing to See:

Bandit Cyan Stealth: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15
Bandit Yellow Stealth: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12
Bandit Purple Stealth: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7
Bandit Red Stealth: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10
Bandit Blue Stealth: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9
Bandit Orange Stealth: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17
Bandit Green Stealth: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17
Bandit Magenta Stealth: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21

Marcel Perc.: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12
Marcel Stealth: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (12) + 10 = 22

Denair Perc.: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (18) + 13 = 31
Denair Stealth: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (9) + 14 = 23

Bandit Cyan Perc.: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (17) - 1 = 16
Bandit Yellow Perc.: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (10) - 1 = 9
Bandit Purple Perc.: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (15) - 1 = 14
Bandit Red Perc.: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (3) - 1 = 2
Bandit Blue Perc.: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (14) - 1 = 13
Bandit Orange Perc.: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (6) - 1 = 5
Bandit Green Perc.: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (15) - 1 = 14
Bandit Magenta Perc.: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (1) - 1 = 0

Marcel & Denair:

As the two of you creep along, your keen eyes are drawn to movements in the treeline ahead and you both come to a stop. Even with the dim light and the cover provided by the forest, you both realize that there are several people trying to hide to either side of the path - clearly in an attempt to ambush anyone passing this way. Luckily for you, most of them are doing a pretty bad job of it and you can even hear a couple of them whispering to each other excitedly.

"Oh boy, and here I thought this night'd be a total bust! Can't wait to see what these poor sods are carrying!" comes one voice from somewhere to the right of the path.

"Keep up that whispering and you won't be seeing a damn thing! Now shut it and get ready!" answers another, more terse voice from the left.

Marcel counts maybe four bandits that he can see, but Denair's keen eyes spot even more and they quickly count that there are about eight bandits lying in wait where the path forks into a Y.

Please see Slide #7! Though the bandits seem to be aware that someone is approaching - namely, the rest of the party - they don't seem to have spotted either of you yet. What will you do?

Liberty's Edge

AC:19 (T:14) (FF:15) | F:6 R:8 W:3 |HP:36/36 | Per. +9 Human Male Ranger 4

Marcel silently motions for Denair to drop back and warn the others of the ambush on the path. Then he silently drops back five feet to either a tree or bush next to the path and uses it to both hide and give himself a sniper's position on the bandits. Taking careful aim at the bandit farthest from him that he can see, he fires a surprise shot in the hopes that the sudden attack will cause confusion among the bandits and make them give away their position to the party behind them.

Move Marcel one square straight up into the tree cover from where he is now.

Stealth: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (20) + 10 = 30
Attack(Longbow) +3 BAB +4 Dex +1 Weapon Focus: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28
Confirm Critical: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24
Damage: 2d8 ⇒ (3, 4) = 7


Venture-Agent, Play-by-Post | League Group | TL;DR Group |

Taking charge of the situation, Marcel motions for Denair to fall back and warn the others of the would-be ambushers before quickly moving into the cover of the trees behind him. He takes careful aim at one of the bandits further down the path and...*PTWANG* *THUNK*! The arrow sinks deeply into the shoulder of the incredibly surprised bandit and he emits a strangled shriek of pain and then a flurry of curses that would make a sailor blush!

"ZARKING FARDWARKS! Where the hell'd that come from!?"

Who Goes First?:

Luurg Init.: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13
Malusha Init.: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4
Marcel Init.: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18
Meredith Init.: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14
Serge Init.: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13
Yarricki Init.: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (18) + 0 = 18
Denair Init.: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11

Bandits: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13


_______

Surprise Round
Denair

Round 1
Marcel
Yarricki + Thunder
Meredith
Luurg
Serge

=======
Bandits (Cyan -7)
=======
Denair
Malusha

Active Conditions: None

Denair in the Surprise Round, then Marcel, Yarricki + Thunder, Meredith, Luurg, and Serge are UP!
_______

Time for fisticuffs! Please see Slide #7. Some notes: all the wooded terrain here is Difficult Terrain. Also, everyone but Marcel and Denair are still 60 feet back and are currently not on the map but are otherwise free to act and move up. For Marcel who is new to PbP combat, I don't enforce a strict initiative order (to save time) so Denair may take his Surprise Round action and all of the players that I listed as being UP (including you) may post their actions in any order.


| 5 HD Female Eidolon Outsider (also counts as fey) | Meredith | Denair's HP 32/32 | AC 22 T 16 FF 18 | CMD 20 | Saves 5/3/4 (Evasion)| Init 2 | Perception 15 (Unfettered, Mage Armor 1 hour)

"Ambush!" Denair cries out to the party and advances ahead to take the hits.

The map is View Only. Please move Denair 5 squares East and 2 squares South. Denair has 10 feet of reach, so anyone who approaches risks an AoO.

Denair's AoO:

"Nnnnnope." Denair clocks the bandit right across the head. Clearly he's taken aback by a weird fox/tree thing talking to him and bashing him across the head with her branch.

Slam: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26
Damage: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11

Confirm: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25
Damage: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6

Liberty's Edge

Denair (Unfettered 1 hour)| HP 51/51 | Spells -/4/4 | AC 15 T 11 FF 14 | CMD 17 | Saves 7/3/5 | Init 2 | Perception 0 (Denair 15) | 6 Female Human Unchained Summoner (Fey Caller) | GM Folio Reroll+2 |

"Bandits. Hmpf. Luurg, can you keep Kalkamedes in place? Or should I take over?"

If Luurg controls Kalkamedes:

Meredith nods, casts Long Arm on herself and advances 30 feet.

If Meredith takes control:

She nods to Luurg and takes the rope. "Make sure Denair is okay." Meredith grabs Kalkamedes and slowly advances (30 ft) towards the battlefield.

CMB: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15

Silver Crusade

Yarricki:
FATIGUED hp 42/42 | Ac 21 T 11 FF 19 (incl barkskin +2) | I+1 | F+8 R+3 W+5 +2 vs. illusions | Perception +9
Thunder:
hp 37/37 | Ac 18 T 12 FF 13 (incl barkskin +2 | I+3 | F+7 R+7+Evasion W+1 | Perception +4 | Hunter's Trick 1/2
Reroll 1/1 | Animal Focus 0/1

"Oh boy, here we go!"

Yarricki lowers her lance while Thunder darts forward to the nearest bandit.

Thunder bites: 1d20 + 9 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 9 + 2 = 13
Damage: 1d8 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12
Trip(if hit): 1d20 + 10 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 10 + 2 = 28

Yarricki’s lance: 1d20 + 7 + 2 - 1 ⇒ (11) + 7 + 2 - 1 = 19
Damage: 2d6 + 10 + 6 ⇒ (1, 3) + 10 + 6 = 20

movement speed 50 for Thunder easily brings her within striking distance. Both Thunder and Yarricki have reach.

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Internal Alchemist 8 HP 67/67 Fast Healing 4/4 | AC 19, T 12, FF 17 Uncanny Dodge| Fort +11, Ref +10, Will +5 | Init +2 | Perc +12, 60' Darkvision, Bombs (13/13) Fly (8/8) Effects: Ant Haul

Marcel: It looks like you shorted yourself 1d8 of crit damage, bows are x3 crits.

"Bandits? Or fruit Teeves! I gut Kalk here ok, you go keep Denair safe n sound. I'mma gunna tie dis guy to a tree n catch up!"

Luurg glances around for a tree of decent size then tries to run his rope around it and tie up his charge for the immediate future. "You just stay put dare mang, don't want nobuddy stabbin you or nuttin!"

CMB: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23

I'm going to assume that takes a movement to find a tree and the Standard to secure the rope. Luurg's Heroism has also expired.

Liberty's Edge

AC:19 (T:14) (FF:15) | F:6 R:8 W:3 |HP:36/36 | Per. +9 Human Male Ranger 4

Luurg, I realized that myself this morning. But no tap backs and it works out since more damage might have killed him without him making a sound.

Hoping that the enemy hasn't seen him yet, Marcel fires another arrow. This time, he's not going to target the one he just hit, but the next bandit he can see that's furthest from him.

Marcel's longbow: 1d20 + 3 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 3 + 4 + 1 = 19
Damage: 1d8 ⇒ 4

Silver Crusade

LG Human Paladin (OaV, Sacred Servant) 5 | HP: 49/49 | AC: 20, FF: 19 TCH: 11 | CMB: +7, CMD: 21 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +6 | Immune to Fear & Disease | Init: +4 | Speed 30/20 | LoH 5/4 | Smite Evil 1/1 | Active Conditions: Reroll, Aura of Courage +4, Divine Symbol +1 LoH/day

"Ambush? Bandits?!" Serge holds Gamin at the ready and charges ahead into battle, a determined look on his face. "Come, Gamin, it is your time to shine!"

Run full round action to move onto the map, assuming it's a straight line (60 feet in heavy armor). If not, I can only move 40 feet this round.


Venture-Agent, Play-by-Post | League Group | TL;DR Group |

Behind the Curtain:

Cyan Perc.: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (5) - 1 = 4
Yellow Perc.: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (1) - 1 = 0
Purple Perc.: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (10) - 1 = 9
Red Perc.: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (7) - 1 = 6
Green Perc.: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (10) - 1 = 9
Orange Perc.: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (9) - 1 = 8
Magenta Perc.: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (16) - 1 = 15
Blue Perc.: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (19) - 1 = 18

Marcus Damage: 1d8 ⇒ 8

As if the silence being broken by sudden, pained screaming and cursing wasn't enough, the rest of the party hears Denair's warning of an ambush from up ahead. After warning his summoner and the rest of his companions, the brave eidolon rushes forward in an attempt to draw the attention of the scrambling bandits. Marcus maintains his position and fires another shot at a different bandit, Red, on the opposite side of the path - a *PTWANG* and then a satisfying *THUNK* is heard, followed by a cry of "My knee! B****** got me in the knee!" Meanwhile, Serge breaks into a run to catch up with the others with Gamin hooting and hollering with excitement.

"About damn time we git ta crack some skulls! Let's give 'em hell, lads - and lasses!"

Just as Serge has almost caught up to Marcel, Yarricki suddenly comes blasting past him atop Thunder, the mighty axebeak shrieking and cawing as they bear down on the unlucky bandits. Further back, Luurg quickly leashes Kalkamedes to a nearby tree like a pet dog and Meredith grants herself a bit of extended reach before hustling forward towards the battle.

"Come on, time to show these milksops just who they're messin' with!" cries one of the bandits as they finally gather their wits and spring to the attack. Yellow moves towards Yarricki and Thunder, but doesn't count on Thunder's surprisingly long reach. The axebeak lashes out with her sharp beak...

Thunder AoO vs. Yellow (Bite): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21
Damage: 1d8 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13

...and rips a deep, long gash up the bandit's arm! Bleeding profusely, Yellow tries to retaliate...

Mwk. Sickle vs. Thunder: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11

...but the blood running down his arm proves quite slippery and its all he can do to keep his grip on his weapon as it whooshes harmlessly past Thunder's head. Red also moves forward, ducking back into the treeline just before swinging his mace at one of Thunder's legs...

Mwk. Mace vs. Thunder: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17
Damage: 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7

...and just barely manages to connect, thudding painfully against the poor creature's leg! Thunder emits a pained shriek but doesn't falter.

Cyan moves forward, ducking around the bleeding Yellow and nimbly stepping into the treeline near Denair - apparently he has no desire to taste another of Marcel's arrows! Unfortunately, much like Red, he doesn't count on the strange little tree-creature to have such an extensive reach and almost seems to explode in a shower of blood and gore as Denair's strike annihilates him! Magenta, Green, Blue, Purple, and Orange all move forward, sticking to the cover provided by the thick undergrowth and the forest canopy.
_______

Round 1/Round 2

Marcel
Yarricki + Thunder (-7)
Meredith (Longarm)
Luurg
Serge

=======
Bandits (Yellow -13, Red -4)
=======
Denair
Malusha

Active Conditions: None

Everyone is UP!
_______

Okay, I'm a knuckleknob - map access *should* be fixed now. Even with accounting for a straight line and double movement for charging, Yarricki & Thunder don't quite get within reach of any of the bandits initially. I also rolled Marcel's missing d8 of damage because I didn't catch that he'd shorted himself either. Now that all of my guys have acted, Denair and Malusha get to act to finish off Round 1 *and* everyone else gets to start posting their Round 2 actions. As always, if I'm forgetting something or miss something or am just doin' it rong, please let me know!

Liberty's Edge

AC:19 (T:14) (FF:15) | F:6 R:8 W:3 |HP:36/36 | Per. +9 Human Male Ranger 4

Trying not to draw attention to himself, Marcel drops a little deeper into the cover of the trees. Seeing Yarricki and Thunder in danger of being surrounded, he nocks another arrow to his bow. Drawing the arrow back, he takes careful aim at the wounded bandit near them and fires.

Marcel is taking a five foot step north, trying to remain hidden and then taking a shot at the yellow bandit.

Stealth: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (6) + 10 = 16
Marcel's longbow: 1d20 + 3 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 3 + 4 + 1 = 11


| 5 HD Female Eidolon Outsider (also counts as fey) | Meredith | Denair's HP 32/32 | AC 22 T 16 FF 18 | CMD 20 | Saves 5/3/4 (Evasion)| Init 2 | Perception 15 (Unfettered, Mage Armor 1 hour)

"Oops. Sorry!" Denair pulls back a bit after pulverizing one of the bandits. "Um, you guys can surrender now."

Realizing they are still approaching, Denair steps up and swipes at Yellow.
Slam: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21
Damage: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9

Meanwhile, Meredith double moves towards the battlefield. Moving 60 feet total. Meredith has 15ft reach but she can't attack adjacent targets.

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Internal Alchemist 8 HP 67/67 Fast Healing 4/4 | AC 19, T 12, FF 17 Uncanny Dodge| Fort +11, Ref +10, Will +5 | Init +2 | Perc +12, 60' Darkvision, Bombs (13/13) Fly (8/8) Effects: Ant Haul

Luurg watches Serge race off ahead of him, pumping those arms with that heavy armor "Hey, good idea Serge! Watch how fast I can get dis belly goin!" He takes off after him, and blows past him stopping just short of Yarricki and his apple loving bird friend. "Luurg make good runner, keeps in tip top shape!" He says as he skids to a stop, nary a bead of sweat or a quick breath to be heard.

Run, x4 speed. I lined up a straight path diagonally, feel free to adjust position if necessary GM. Luurg is unarmed at the moment, well, I guess he would have gauntlets on with his breastplate?.

201 to 250 of 476 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Ladile & the Pathfinder Society Present: The Night March of Kalkamedes (Table A) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.