Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Black Tom's Whispering Cairn

Game Master Black Tom


3,951 to 4,000 of 5,752 << first < prev | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | next > last >>

Male Human Cleric 14

Vug - Round Two:

Encouraged by the effectiveness of her first bomb as well as by Bubba's inspiring words, Vug tosses another force bomb at the fiendish spellcaster.

Standard action to throw a force bomb at the spellcaster.

Ranged Touch Attack with PBS, IC, Good Hope: 1d20 + 12 + 2 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 12 + 2 + 2 + 1 = 25
Force Damage: 5d4 + 5 + 2 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (2, 4, 1, 1, 4) + 5 + 2 + 2 + 1 = 22; Reflex DC 19 or fall prone.
Force Splash Damage = 10; Reflex DC 10 for half.

Number of Bombs used: 8/14

Vug's AC: 27
Vug's HP: 58/58


Male Human Cleric 14

Feres - Round Two:

The glowing herald conjured by Feres slashes its fiery scimitar at the fiendish spellcaster again. At the same time, Feres steps into the chamber and tosses a tanglefoot bag at the spellcaster.

Spiritual Ally: full-round action to make a full attack. I believe the Spiritual Ally is beyond the range of Bubba's Inspire Courage and doesn't qualify for Good Hope (and possibly not for Inspire either).

Spiritual Ally Attack #1: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (20) + 11 = 31 (if the spellcaster is prone following Vug's force bomb, please add +4 to the attack to reflect the caster's -4 penalty to AC.)
Force Damage: 1d10 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5
Critical Hit Confirmation: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21 (if the spellcaster is prone following Vug's force bomb, please add +4 to the attack to reflect the caster's -4 penalty to AC.)
Additional Critical Hit Force Damage: 1d10 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11

Spiritual Ally Attack #2: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18 (if the spellcaster is prone following Vug's force bomb, please add +4 to the attack to reflect the caster's -4 penalty to AC.)
Force Damage: 1d10 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9

Feres: move action 25 ft to square R,29. Standard action to toss tanglefoot bag at the spellcaster.

Tanglefoot Bag Toss (ranged touch attack): 1d20 + 6 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 6 + 2 + 2 = 15 (IC, good hope) to hit and entangle the spellcaster.

Results of Successful Tanglefoot Bag Hit:
On a successful hit, the bag comes apart and goo bursts out, entangling the target and then becoming tough and resilient upon exposure to air. An entangled creature takes a –2 penalty on attack rolls and a –4 penalty to Dexterity and must make a DC 15 Reflex save or be glued to the floor, unable to move. Even on a successful save, it can move only at half speed.
A creature that is glued to the floor can break free by making a DC 17 Strength check or by dealing 15 points of damage to the goo with a slashing weapon. A creature trying to scrape goo off itself, or another creature assisting, does not need to make an attack roll; hitting the goo is automatic, after which the creature that hit makes a damage roll to see how much of the goo was scraped off. Once free, the creature can move at half speed. If the entangled creature attempts to cast a spell, it must make concentration check with a DC of 15 + the spell's level or be unable to cast the spell. The goo becomes brittle and fragile after 2d4 ⇒ (3, 2) = 5 rounds, cracking apart and losing its effectiveness.

Party Buffs/Spells in Effect:
Remove Fear - Everyone: +4 morale bonus to saves vs. fear effects; remaining duration 9/10 minutes.
Shield of Faith - Feres only: +3 deflection bonus to AC; remaining duration 8/9 minutes.
Protection from Evil - Valgrim and Vug: +2 deflection bonus to AC; +2 resistance bonus to saves; second save with +2 morale bonus vs. spells/effects that possess or excercise mental control; prevents bodily contact by evil summoned creatures; remaining duration 17/18 minutes.
Spiritual Ally: Duration remaining 7/9 rounds.

Feres' AC: 21
Feres' HP: 65/72
Number of Channels used today: 2/7


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

I'm back now, by the way.


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 178/178; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

Since he can't get close, Valgrim draws and throws his handaxe at the priest: Attack: 1d20 + 12 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 12 + 2 + 2 = 33
Damage: 1d6 + 4 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 4 + 2 + 2 = 11


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

The priest expires with a sigh, dead as a coffin nail. You all get 2560 xp for that.

He's carrying a lot of stuff:

Spoiler:
A potion of Cure serious wounds, a scroll of Restoration, scroll of Heal, a Brooch
of shielding (35 points)
, a wand of Inflict moderate wounds (32 charges), a +1 chainmail, +1 light fortification light wooden shield, a +1 unholy club, a Periapt of health, a jade holy symbol of Kyuss worth 100 gp and a ring of keys.


Male Human Cleric 14

With the fiendish priest defeated, Feres enters the chamber and moves warily toward the altar to examine the glowing green scroll.


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

"So Raknian was hiding some sort of crazy demon-guy under the arena? That takes a lot of chutzpah!"


Male Human Cleric 14

"And I wonder if these are the Apostolic Scrolls that Raknian obtained from the mind-flayer," Feres comments, looking at the glowing green scroll on the altar.

Knowledge (religion) check if needed: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 178/178; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

Valgrim searches the room for any secret doors/etc. Any exit besides the double doors to the west?
Perception: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (12) + 18 = 30...add +2 for stone


Male Half-Orc Bard 11

"Could be" Bubba also examines the scrolls.

Knowledge (religion) aid: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

They are very likely the Apostolic Scrolls, and they seem to be locked in some kind of stasis. The green beam seems to be harmless enough and leads to a large portal of stone, covered with the obscene depiction of an orgy of dead, worm-ridden corpses blocks the passage. In the middle of the macabre mass, a carving of the horrible skull of Kyuss utters a silent scream of triumph.

There is also a perfectly normal door to the north, but no secret doors.


Male Human Cleric 14

Can I read anything on the scrolls through the green light?


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

No, they are curled up and can't be moved.


Male Human Cleric 14

Feres eyes the green glow surrounding the scrolls with a look of consternation. "Vug? Vulcan? Bubba? Can any of you determine what kind of magical effect is surrounding these scrolls?" he asks.

"What was it that Eligos said about these scrolls? Something about them containing rituals to allow a giant undead worm creature to consume living beings and spew them out as undead creatures at a tremendous rate..." Feres' voice trails off as his gaze follows the beam of green light to the large stone portal.


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 178/178; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

Valgrim picks up his handaxe and the cleric's treasures and puts them in the bag of holding for later. "So, I guess we're following the green beam west then?" Valgrim will take the lead, as usual, as he examines the doors for traps and other dangers. If clear, we head west.
Perception: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (16) + 18 = 34...add +2 for stone


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

The door is not trapped, but it seems to be encased in some sort of magical field of force emanating from the scrolls.


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

Vug examines the stasis beam.

take 10 on Know: Arcana and Spellcraft = 27


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Since it it a unique effect, it's hard to tell exactly how it works, but it seems to generate some kind of containment field, and it also seems to be susceptible to positive energy.


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 178/178; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

"Friar, can you not channel positive energy? Makes sense that these unholy Scrolls be susceptible to your the might of your god's light."


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 178/178; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

If Friar is not around, we can always go north and ignore the door for now.
Valgrim in the lead through the north door.
Perception: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (4) + 18 = 22...add +2 for stone[/dice]


Male Human Cleric 14

Sorry. Been slammed with work this week.

Let's see what's through the door to the north before we tackle the beam of green-glowing-probably-nasty-death. The scrolls evidently aren't going anywhere...


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Behind the door is a short passage and another door (also not trapped). Behind that is a luxuriously furnished room. A central pillar of green marble carved in
the likeness of a segmented worm supports the ceiling of this square room. The room is dimly lit by a single incense burner that sheds
a sweet, fruity aroma. The room is lined with woolen tapestries depicting coiling green worms, and contains a bed, an armchair, and
a cupboard. Near the bed is a small nightstand and an ornate, elongated trunk.

In the armchair sits a dead girl who matches the description of Ekaym¨'s sister, idly sipping a cup of wine. She looks listlessly at you as you enter.

There is a door on the other side of the room.


Male Human Sorceror (Stormborn) 15

"Uhm....anyone else notice the dead girl?"


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

"That's....revolting. Should we, uh, destroy her before we return her to Ekaym?" Vug asks with a puzzled look.


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 178/178; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

Valgrim looks to the spellcasters, "Does anything detect magical?", while he looks for secret doors:1d20 + 18 ⇒ (8) + 18 = 26..add +2 for stone


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

The trunk is magic, both necromancy and abjuration. It's both a fascinating and disgusting object. Made of darkwood and bound with steel, the trunk measures 36x18x18 inches. A steel plaque representing a screaming skull infested by worms, the unholy symbol of Kyuss, is nailed to the lid. The side panels are painted in tones of black and green with a cycle of apocalyptic images that runs around the trunk like a frieze. The images are divided into two horizontal strips, underground and aboveground, by a cutaway of the earth’s crust. Underground, the horrible figure of a man made of worms lies imprisoned in a huge stone monolith. The figure has been represented in perspective on all the trunk’s four sides. Huge green worms writhe in the surrounding caverns and break through the cavern’s crust to invade the aboveground part of the paintings, where a sickly green light illuminates a blasted landscape. There, the writhing worms tower over a population of monstrous undead and naked, terrified victims.

There are no secret doors. The door across the room to the left is the only visible exit.


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

The zombie-thing that used to be Ekaym's sister is just sitting there?


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Yes, she basically ignores you.


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 178/178; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

His curiosity piqued by the ornate description of the trunk, Valgrim carefully studies its shape, trying to determine if it is trapped or if something is out of place in its texture. He will try to determine this without touching the scary object: Perception: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (14) + 18 = 32


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

There does indeed seem to be some kind of magical ward placed upon the lock.


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 178/178; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

"Trunk is trapped by the way, folks. So be careful touching or handling it. Don't know if we can dispel the ward."


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

"I can always summon another mite as a test subject," Vug suggests.


Male Human Sorceror (Stormborn) 15

"You do that, and I'll prepare to blast whatever is summons.Friar, you want to put the girl down?"


Male Half-Orc Bard 11

"I have just the thing." Bubba pulls out his wand of unseen servant and instructs it to open the chest.

"Stand back!"


Male Human Cleric 14

Feres slowly and warily approaches the animated corpse of Ekaym's sister.

Assuming the zombie(?) doesn't react... "I am so sorry this was done to you. May the Dawnflower protect you and guide you to eternal peace," Feres says sadly as he intones a prayer to his Goddess and reaches out a hand to channel a burst of divine energy into the undead creature.

Burn Silence spell to spontaneously cast Cure Moderate Wounds on the corpse of Ekaym's sister.
Positive Energy Damage: 2d8 + 10 ⇒ (1, 5) + 10 = 16; Will DC 17 for half damage.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

The chest is locked, so the Unseen Servant won't be able to get it open. The zombie stirs as Feres approaches, but before it has the chance to strike him he touches it and it collapses like a puppet that has had its strings cut.


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

Vug whips up a formula that produces another mite.

"Stand back everyone," she advises as she moves as far away from the chest as possible. Then she insta-grows a mite from protoplasm and orders it to try to mess around with the chest (open it, break the lock, etc.).


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

As the mite touches the chest, it recoils with a scream. A fat green worm bursts out of its hand and drops to the floor and turns to goo. The mite gives you a dirty look as it awaits new orders.


Male Human Cleric 14

"Do you think one of the keys we found on the fiendish priest might open the chest?" Feres asks.


Male Half-Orc Bard 11

"Good thinking! Give them to our little blue friend here and let him try to open it."


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

You find a key that looks promising and the mite puts it in the lock. But in that very moment it disappears.


Male Human Cleric 14

"What happened?" Feres asks, turning toward Vug. "Did your summoning end already? Or did something happen to the mite?"

BT, What time of day is it? Are we in danger of being missed if we don't return to our quarters beneath the arena soon?


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

I assume it has been less than 9 rounds, but who knows?

Vug takes a closer look at the chest. Have the keys disappeared as well?


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 178/178; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

"Perhaps, it be a teleporting trap. Your creature did not squeal in pain so maybe it was just taken somewhere."


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

The keys are still there, and there seems to be a new blue face among the images of tormented people. After a short while it vanishes.

Knowledge (arcana) 25:

Spoiler:
It is indeed some sort of teleporting effect.


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

Vug will take 10 on the knowledge check and get a 27

"Yup, I'd bet my f-f-flasks he's been teleported somewhere. Bub, do you think your unseen servant would work now?"


Male Half-Orc Bard 11

"Perhaps"

Bubba instructs the unseen servant to open the chest.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

The Unseen servant indeed gets the chest open. The trunk contains a bag of 300 gp, four deep green spinels worth 100 g each, three aquamarines worth 500 gp each, a potion, a scroll of death ward, two scrolls of ethereal jaunt, three pinches of magical dust, seven blocks of exotic incense worth 200 gp each, two blocks of magic incense, a wand, and a magic spoon. Lastly, three vials filled with some sort of magic liquid each contain a Kyuss worm.


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 178/178; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

"So, we can go left or go back to the Scrolls? Opinions?"


Male Human Cleric 14

"The Scrolls are supposedly tied to giant undead worm creatures that can consume living beings and spew them out as undead creatures," Feres reminds his companions. "I think we need to go back to the Scrolls and see where that beam of green light is going..."

Can we ID the magic items from the chest before we leave this room? They might come in handy.

3,951 to 4,000 of 5,752 << first < prev | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Black Tom's Whispering Cairn All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.