The Scribbler

Severed Ronin's page

Goblin Squad Member. RPG Superstar 6 Season Star Voter. Organized Play Member. 820 posts (1,420 including aliases). 1 review. No lists. No wishlists. 11 Organized Play characters. 8 aliases.


RSS

1 to 50 of 820 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Lantern Lodge

I'm looking for folk interested to play in my 5E campaign I'm hosting via Xbox Live party chat. We've had five sessions so far and all were successful. We play via theater of the mind with no maps or minis. We have a fighter, barbarian, paladin of Bahamut, and Druid. We're always looking for more because not everyone is present all the time. If you have Win10, you can join via the app.

If you have questions let me know.

Lantern Lodge

I have to say that having played it for as long as I have (I play it off and on) that it's a fun game at times (especially when played with friends) and it can certainly be a bit addicting, but the politics of the game and it's developer simply VOG the game down. Constant hot fixes and, in my opinion, lies from the development team make me not want to play the game. Between RNG and their prioritization of fixing non-critical "cheesing methods" over game-breaking glitches that've been there since Day 1, it really makes me hate that I continue to play sometimes.

My Idea of a Development Team's Conversation:

"Well, we fixed things so the players can't beat a boss a particular way."
"So we're punishing them for being creative and playing their way?"
"No, we're keeping them from beating the boss by taking cover when he fired at them."
"But we've added a kill timer to the area. Why not just extend the enemies' range of fire?"
"Because that's not the way we intended Destiny to be."
"But we told the players to play their way. We told them to become legend."
"Oh they can still become legend. They just need to grind through RNG to do it. Not to mention when they do finally become legend, we'll simply patch it so they have to do it a new way."
"But what about the heavy ammo glitch? Or the Deathsinger bug?"
"Screw that! This guy's using the environment, movement abilities of his class, and our own game mechanics against us!"

I'm sorry. I know I seem to complain about this game a lot. My problem lies in the fact that there were so many promises made that were re-negged on once money exchanged hands. In addition, while the game remains fun for short bursts, I refuse to blindly defend any game with such glaring flaws as these.

I will play this game once March's DLC drops (because I bought the Limited Edition; told it was the only version left to preorder at the store) and then I'll wash my hands of the game. Hopefully I can come back at the end of their 10-year plan when all the games have been released and things will have, hopefully, been fixed by then.

Lantern Lodge

Brett, check out Floridapfs.org.

It's primarily for Pathfinder Organized Play but I know the people who run it & they'll help you out.

Lantern Lodge

I dropped a link in here of a tonfa write-up from the unofficial D20PFSRD. Not sure if Paizo has an official version of it or not or if this comes from one of Paizo's splatbooks.

Link

Lantern Lodge

I'm of the same mindset. While Destiny's made me consider updating consoles, there aren't enough games coming out that convince me I should and I won't buy for just one.

Lantern Lodge

I'll also be playing it on the 360 with a few of my friends. Feel free to add me so we can fill out a raid party together. My tag is Severed Ronin. I do agree with many of Alex's points. Much of the game during the Beta was kept technical as opposed to fleshing everything out, but the game even felt complete save for a few concerns. I'd heard about the game before and don't plan to pick it up until the Beta went free public access during it's last week. That's when I became hooked and instantly shifted one of my preorders over to Destiny.

Lantern Lodge

I've looked around the forums for a bit without finding anything on Bungie's upcoming "shared world shooter". I played through the Beta and enjoyed it quite a bit and I was wondering who else on the boards might be looking forward to play it with me.

For me, I'll be recreating my Human Hunter from the Beta. I'm not entirely upset with the fact that our characters don't carry over whereas some are. Few betas actually do that anymore anyways.

So what about you? What are you going to be playing it on? What are you going to be playing as? What are you looking forward to the most? Let's discuss!

Lantern Lodge

I played Thief in what I like to call 'Classic Mode'. Made the game much more like the original. Set your Custom Difficulty to the hardest setting then add in the choices of getting caught causes you to fail the mission, killing causes you to fail, etc. There's even an Iron Man option that I chose where if you get caught, you start the game over from the beginning. It brings the stealth back to the forefront and really makes you think.

As for it not being a fantasy setting, that's entirely not true. Sure, it's not the original, but it's still a good game. I enjoyed it immensely. Not more than the original, but immensely.

As for Dishonored, those of you with an Xbox can expect Dishonored to be free with Games for Gold on the 16th!

Lantern Lodge

The sheer nature of this campaign world intrigues me. I'll start reading through what's transpired so far and, without glancing at the material yet, hope to have a concept ready by tomorrow night.

Lantern Lodge

I'm just here to note the similarities between Quick Study and the Magus' Improved Spell Recall though they do share a few differences. Here's the similarity I see:

Improved Spell Recall wrote:


... Furthermore, instead of recalling a used spell, as a swift action the magus can prepare a spell of the same level that he has in his spellbook. He does so by expending a number of points from his arcane pool equal to the spell’s level (minimum 1). The magus cannot apply metamagic feats to a spell prepared in this way. The magus does not need to reference his spellbook to prepare a spell in this way.

As long as this doesn't trump the Magus' Lvl 11 ability, that's fine.

Of course, the differences I mentioned make the Arcanist's Quick study fine at a lower level given it's a full round that provokes and requires the spell book.

On another note, as a Black Blade player, I look forward to seeing the Blade Adept.

Lantern Lodge

How similar is this to the system Mage the Awakening uses? It looks pretty close andthat is my favorite magic system in existence.

Lantern Lodge

Done. Thanks!

Lantern Lodge

The order says it's been finalized but I wasn't aware it was shipping. I need the address changed as I no longer live in Florida.

Lantern Lodge

3 people marked this as a favorite.

This is alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange.

Lantern Lodge

Nefreet wrote:

There is.

You can only ever eliminate the penalties. You can never gain proficiency.

Gotcha. Thank you for the clarification in that regard.

Lantern Lodge

Nefreet wrote:
We must be reading different threads. Every time I see this question the answer is always the same.

The problem isn't that the answer is consistently the same. The problem is that it's been noted (with respect to JJ and his position) that he is not considered a valid rules source for PFS. I believe the rules are clear that the intent was to give the Empty Hand proficiency with these improvised weapons a la Catch Off-Guard.

As for the Weapon Focus feat, I understand that you can't have Weapon Focus: Frying Pan or Weapon Focus: Rope or Weapon Focus: Tea Cup, but there isn't a clear delineation between the two when it comes to being 'proficient' with these improvised weapons if that makes sense. After all, feats such as Weapon Focus (and quite a few others) all require one to be proficient with selected weapon. If Catch Off-Guard makes you proficient with these 'weapons', why can't they be used for said feat.

I don't know. Maybe I'm overanalyzing this too much, but I do believe that the crux of the archetype needs to be analyzed because I've had two players with the build as well as one of my own sitting in unplayed limbo that I'd like to get clarification for them.

Lantern Lodge

2 people marked this as FAQ candidate.

I'd like to start by saying that I'm aware of James Jacobs' response on the issue here but many have tried to say that James isn't a valid rules source for these works. While I disagree with that statement, I do concede that PFS works a bit differently in these regards.

I'm looking for a PFS-specific response as most people in the other threads hold to common sense and house-rule strongly in favor of James' response, but I'd like to see where we'd stand on the issue at a PFS table. If at all possible, I'd love to finally see a FAQ clarification on the issue as well. If anyone feels the need to move this thread elsewhere, please do so and accept my apologies for posting in the wrong thread.

Is a Monk considered proficient with improvised weapons in a manner similar to that granted by the Catch Off-Guard feat? Can the Empty Hand choose 'Improvised Weapon' for feats such as Weapon Focus and others? If not, could we get clarification on how it is this ability works?

Thank you and apologies to anyone who may become offended by the repost of this question from years before.

Lantern Lodge

Bobo

Lantern Lodge

Posting shouldn't be a problem. I'm regularly online most days and I can post as long as I'm not the only one posting. I hate replying to myself half the time.

Lantern Lodge

Shael_ wrote:

Hehe yeah lots of arcane but I just couldn't help not presenting a Tief Magus when there is an Aasimar Paladin. Seriously no better rivalry, love/hate relationship could exist....

...However if Archetypes are allowed I would have her become a Bladebound Kensai (Most overused pairing I know~) But it's only because I haven't done this yet...

You should consider the Fiend Flayer archetype for the Tiefling Magus. I have one and it's a rather interesting character. Not overpowered but not under either.

Lantern Lodge

Jason Wu wrote:

I am just going to say that Krune seems remarkably vulnerable to musket rounds.

To be fair, I suppose they didn't exist the last time he was awake. "Hey, ugly, welcome to the future!"

:D

-j

I don't care what anyone else says, this just became my favorite reply of the whole thread.

Lantern Lodge

Male Human Lvl 12 American Hero

I may be mistaken, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I gather you're returning to the goblins?

The sun has gone down by the time you emerge from the cavern and thanks to your clearing of the path earlier the trip back to the Licktoads Village remains uneventful though you do take note of a few extra skeletons lying about the ground, forming a path from the caverns to the village. As you near the village, you can't make out any signs of activity. Nothing seems to be happening. As you enter the encampment, you see a mass of skeletal corpses and several dead goblins. It would seem Tsutamu's influence over the skeletons had sent these to raid the village before you defeated him and stopped his influence.

Perception DC 18:

From the chief's raised hut, you hear chittering voices in Goblin and movement. It is nighttime in the swamp, so most light - even that of the moon choked out by the trees - remains almost non-existent.

Lantern Lodge

Name: Xanatos Grey
Designation: Level 12 Magus (Lvl 11 during scenario)
Status: Missing in Action
Last known location: Krune's Temple
Incident Description: Disappeared after Krune's defeat; believed to have died along with the runelord

This was all back before Gencon right after the scenario released

Lantern Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I told you when I handed the keys of St. Pete over that it'd happen.

Congrats buddy.

Lantern Lodge

Male Human Lvl 12 American Hero

Happy Christmas to all. Update inbound tomorrow.

Lantern Lodge

Bloodrager - Reaver

Hunter - Beastlord

Slayer - Stalker

Warpriest - Templar

Everything else I'm fine with.

Lantern Lodge

Ryan. Costello wrote:

Sorry to everyone who was looking for the episode. It uploaded to the wrong youTube account. Here Know direction 74 with jason Bulmahn. Expect the audio version this week.

Also, did the skald really not get mentioned? Bizarre.

Thanks for the update,Ryan, and no to the skald. A great broadcast nonetheless.

Lantern Lodge

I threw Reaver out there partially as a joke and homage to Firefly but now that you reminded me of Dragon age, I think it totally fits.

Lantern Lodge

Oceanshieldwolf wrote:
Hang on, is this about changing the Bloodrager's name now?

Valid point. I think several of us latched on to something Jason Bulmahn mentioned in the podcast and went vastly off-topic. Apologies.

Lantern Lodge

Joyd wrote:
Awesome informational stuff that I enjoy

To heck with me! Yeah what Joyd said!

Cheapy wrote:
But it is! It's begging to stop being gutted by other classes.

Viva la rogue!

Lantern Lodge

Kekkres wrote:

anyway i dont feel etimology belongs in the picking of class names as much as the pop and fantasy culture take on what the name means, hense druid meaning nature magic shapeshifter rather than a celtic (i think) priest.

and in that sense of the word a warlock is a magic user with ties to demonic, eldritch or otherwise unnatural forces that fuel his abilitys, in a gaming sense they are generally sturdier and more competent in combat than other mages. and from THAT perspective i think the name fits this class.

I'll back this.

Lantern Lodge

Not yet. I will later. She plays so she'll laugh.

Then cast unholy blight...

Lantern Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tels wrote:
Also known as Erinyes.

It was meant more as a joke. I was actually considering the Erinyes when I typed it out. Specifically because my wife is a magical woman capable of raging something fierce. She also grows bat wings on occasion and flies away on secret clandestine missions, but I try not to question every aspect of her.

Lantern Lodge

Continuing with the whole 'savage' and 'primal' theme of the barbarian while keeping the sorcerer's powers in mind, what about Cabalist or Ritualist. Both invoke the thought of arcane fury.

Heck, why not just call it the 'Fury' or 'Invoker'?

Summation: Cabalist, Ritualist, Fury, Invoker (maybe Reaver because I like that word and it reminds me of Firefly).

Okay, I'm just throwing words out now...

Lantern Lodge

Cheapy wrote:

:D

You didn't have a table until about 2 minutes ago

I'll be sure to say it more this way your efforts aren't in vain.

Lantern Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Cheapy wrote:
Here's the history of the word 'warlock' if anyone is interested.

Cheapy, I don't think I've ever said it before (and if I have, feel free to compile a table or whatnot) but I love the times you drop in with really awesome stuff for me. Well, for everyone, but my wife says I've deluded myself into thinking it's just for me.

Lantern Lodge

Raul "Wulfgars" Moura da Silva wrote:


That´s why in my opinion, Savage/Primal/Berserker would be more "suited"...

I must've missed the mention of Primal. I rather like the title itself, but it also reminds me of the Primal Magic 'subsystem' in the Inner Sea Magic sourcebook.

Nighttree, I pretty much agree with you. My argument for warlock isn't a strong one. It's just my opinion as I've yet to concoct or find something better.

Lantern Lodge

I just honestly can't think of something better than Warlock to describe the character despite the fact that little of the word itself has to do with the Barbarian side of things. I just think it sounds better than Bloodrager.

My thought on the Warpriest is that they were going for a more "fighty" type of class which is why they mixed the two. I'm still of the mind as some others have stated that I'd like to see him as more of a divine magus but I don't see that necessarily happening. Not because its not cool or people are actively against it, but just because it could be considered unoriginal as being a divine ripoff of the magus.

Anyways, I like the Templar name the best as well as Warlock but am at least open to the idea of changing the Bloodrager to something else.

Lantern Lodge

Kekkres wrote:
WotC's warlock class is copyrighted which is the legal issues you are talking about, they cant copy that class no. however the blooodrager isn't anything like that and the word "warlock" itself is open domain. iirc the only reason that the magus isnt called the warlock is that they where worried there might be confusion between it and the vastly different dnd version.

I knew there was something of that sort floating around. Thank you for the clarification.

Hope no one confuses the Bloodrager for the Rage Mage.

Side note: I know there won't be much if any confusion between the two. I just found it funny.

Lantern Lodge

As much as I'd like the Bloodrager to be the Warlock, I'm pretty sure that won't be happening. I think there's some legal issues in there somewhere. Come to think of it, I'm sure that may be the case with the Templar name as well. I can't be for sure because I don't know how the process works, but those would be my two top names if they're free to use them.

Templar and Warlock.

Lantern Lodge

I watched the podcast and was blown away by some of the updates Jason Bulmahn dished out to us. I agree that many of them were very good.

I'm in agreement with a few of the mentions here talking about what the classes names should be changed to. I agree that the name of the Warpriest should be changed to Templar above all else because of the historical connotations of it. For the bloodrager, I'll agree with ArenCordial. It really is a difficult one to place. I don't think Berserker or Savage are decent enough names for the class. I'm sure Paizo will come up with something better than Bloodrager.

Lantern Lodge

I actually have to drop. The wife has reminded me that Mondays are our scrapbooking night.

Lantern Lodge

It'd be good for me. I generally wake up around 1 or 2PM. Get off around 7AM.

Lantern Lodge

I have to be at work at 11PM so I'd have to start wrapping up at 10 though I can spare five or ten minutes.

Lantern Lodge

Alrighty. I thought to ask. I have a multitude of characters ready to play so fire away when ready.

Lantern Lodge

I'd be up for giving it a shot. We don't all have to do Skype or voice chat or whatnot, but we can leave it on the table for those of us that can. I'm Central Standard Time for reference. Have a few possible concepts that can fit any niche depending on what you decide to run and what the others decide to play.

I suppose it's worth a shot asking as well but would Tuesdays or Wednesdays be an option instead as those are my set days off. Monday nights I'd have to bail short because I work third shift work.

Lantern Lodge

As painful as it is for me to post this, let me be yet another voice of reason added to the mixture by not only saying, "Let the thread die," but also adding that personal attacks from any party are unwanted and uncalled for. Paizo's made it clear a hundred times over in similar threads. No name-calling derisive behaviors, derogatory insults, or ultimately anything else even vaguely similar needs to be posted. The OP has been made aware of his posting in the wrong board. In addition, we've all been made aware of where he stands on the matter. If any of this childish nonsense continues, please do the right thing and flag it before simply moving on.

Thank you.

Lantern Lodge

Don't worry about being a "noob" or whatever. We all got to start somewhere. I was in the same boat fifteen years ago when I picked up gaming and again when 3X came out and again (vaguely given it wasn't that huge of a change) when Pathfider came out. I've also played Cortex, Fate, GURPs, and several other systems as well, so I know what it's like. Play-By-Post is damn near like learning a new system because it's got its own subset of rules and whatnot.

Ultimately, that's why I'm here among a couple of the others I believe. I want to see you guys succeed and flourish and go on to do the same with others down the line. Is getting to play after awhile of not getting to play a bonus? Yeah, but it's not my incentive.

Hmm, I'm going to mull some things over with Tucker and see what I can do help y'all out.

Lantern Lodge

There's going to e a gameplay thread where we'll post all in-character posts once the GM gets it set up. In addition, there's going to be a discussion threa where all of our OOC chat will go. These will be linked in an overall Campaign Journal, so all you have to do is click a tab and it'll take you to the corresponding thread.

As te gameplay thread is not yet created, just remember to copy/paste in that thread once the GM makes the appropriate postings.

Lantern Lodge

There's no set time for these types of games. Once the GM makes his first post, we hit the ground running and post when we're able. Typical posting schedule is preferred to be 2-3 times a day depending on the pace, but can be more or less (down to 1-2 posts per day). Once the game is underway, it's up to us and the GM to keep the pace. As long as we're interacting, the game should be a success. If there aren't any posts for days then we oughta start worrying. I don't surmise that to happen here. Play-by-posts are roleplay heavy, so crack out your dictionaries, thesauruses, etc. and get ready to game!

1 to 50 of 820 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>