Red Mantis Assassin

Larkos's page

574 posts (2,281 including aliases). No reviews. 2 lists. 1 wishlist. 18 aliases.


RSS

1 to 50 of 574 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

The champion at the DPS Olympics was the Arsenal Chaplain (aka Molthuni Arsenal Chaplain) Warpriest with the wind blessing. Can snipe from a ridiculous distance with self-buffs, self-heals, and AWT.

There's also the classic Zen Archer Monk. Just re-flavor the ki if you don't want to be a Monk.


The basic idea of what I'm looking for is the Manakete from Fire Emblem. Manaketes, for those who don't want to or can't read the link, is a race/class of humanoids that turn into dragons.

I am aware of Dragonkin from Starfinder and the Taninim race from Rite Publishing.

Theses are fine options but I'd like the ability to play a human who can turn into a dragon. The best option I have so far is to tweak the Taninim race and their corresponding class Dragonic Exemplar.

Any advice?


Give them something to do with downtime then. Give them a store or a base that can be improved with the work of the PCs. Let them roll or whatnot for the days, weeks, etc. that you want to skip.

Alternatively ask your PCs for a long-term goal their characters want and see if you can have them work towards it. Like if a characters wants revenge on a gang leader for murdering their dad, you can have the PC gather information about the gang, tail their subordinates, or try bribing their informants.


I'm making a human Virtuous Bravo paladin. He's level 7 to start.

It would fit the character well but is it worth it mechanically to go to Devoted Muse or should I just stay a Virtuous Bravo?


LeMoineNoir wrote:
... the Tiefling feat Deadly Horns, but it cannot be used alongside other natural attacks.

Lol what? You can't attack with claws because it's too awkward but you attack with a Earthbreaker? That is dumb and I'd wave that requirement at my table.


The real "fix" to the swashbuckler in my mind is the end of the deed system. It seems really cool but it leads to most deeds being kinda weak, it frontloads the class, and limits the options of the class.

A modular pool of talents like the Barbarian or Vigilante would improve the class tremendously.

One person can play a super mobile warrior using something like the Dervish Dance.

Another can play a dodge tank. This would have options to improve opportune parry and riposte

I'd like to see a melee debuffer like the unchained rogue. It would upgrade to allow more dirty tricks

My style would be the Cloak and Sword approach. Like the Dueling Cape deed feat but not terrible. This would get a power like the nerfed Cape of Feinting but not terrible.

Of course there is a mix of styles too but you could specialize like the Barbarian's Totems.

But yes Charmed Life is h#$@&#!*+. Just make it like Divine Grace already.


TheGoofyGE3K wrote:
Sudden question-are any of these Korasha? They all seem Damaya.

124

the male on 48 are Korasha I believe.


bookrat wrote:

There is a non-Raia Lashunta on pages:

31
34
39
48
66
81
109
124
156
328-9
481

They seem to have greys, browns, yellows, and reds, with dark and light variations, and variable color stripes as an accent.

Thank you very much! This is what I was looking for. It seems like I have a lot more options now.


Well there are Jungle Elves in Mwangi and I believe they are more dark-skinned though not Drow. So that should mean that the Jungle planet of Castrovel would produce dark-skinned Lashunta and Elves yet they haven't. It's a strange puzzle.

I guess I could just go with whatever I want and sweet-talk my GM into just going with it.


Well to answer the multiple people part at least, it is said that having a telepathic conversation with multiple people is just as difficult as hold multiple conversations with speech.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Metaphysician wrote:
Well, given the backstory for the Lashunta, I would expect their skin coloration to tend towards camouflage colors. . . albeit camouflage by Castovelian standards.

That's an interesting thought. They are slightly insectile with their antennae so having skin match environment is feasible. Since Castrovel is a jungle, the idea of them having their skin match sunlight intake so it being like that theory about Human skin tone evolution is right out. They would be black in Pathfinder instead of white. So your conjecture is more likely.

So them being white or light pink means that the environment of Castrovel would have something white for them to blend into. The planet is called "The Green" so they should be greener I think.

Then again, they now have the bioengineering to control what subspecies a child turns to so the idea that they can change skin tone to whatever they'd like it is also valid.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
MagicA wrote:
dont forget teh male lashunta that's next to the other lashunta in the rulebook

I didn't. I just couldn't get a good linkable picture of him. He's also the same coloring as the female.

Xenocrat wrote:
There's a male lashunta sniper in the Pact Worlds section of the campaign setting chapter. And a few others scattered here and there in various rules chapters, I think.

On pg. 429? I think that's actually Raia though it is a clearer shot. That has her as grayish white.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

So what exactly is the range of colors a Lashunta can come in?

Pathfinder has them as mostly white and light pink from what I can find

This Lashunta from Children of the Void (2008) is maybe light pink but looks fairly Caucasian.

This Lashunta from the Gamemastery guide (2010) is flat out Caucasian-looking.

This Lashunta from the cover of Distant Worlds (2012) is also white especially in comparison to the two creatures.

This Lashunta from People of the Stars (2014) is far more pink than her predecessors.

The we flash forward to Starfinder (2017) where we only have two Lashunta to go off of.

First is our lovely Iconic Technomancer, Raia. She is grayish-green from what I can tell. She appears to be wearing makeup and has a glow from the Hologram on her arm making it hard to pin down the color. Either way, she is not white.

The only other Lashunta in the book is a mechanic. She is more gray than Raia and also certainly not Caucasian.

The ones from the Lashunta Page which I can only find the female of online (surprise surprise) are more pale brown than gray or white.

So what is the range? Are there black Lashuntas? Are there more fantastical colors like blue or full green?

Anyone have any better sources than I can find?


Metaphysician wrote:
Again, just because the Mystic and Technomancer classes can't cast a spell, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It just means. . . those classes can't cast the spell. There is no evidence of any kind of "magic reboot" in the setting, nor some kind of cosmological weakening. 7th to 9th level spells just aren't considered worth the effort for adventurers.

I just don't understand this. Take one look at the Tier list and see where the lvl 9 casters are and where the lvl 6 casters are.

Yes, martials are much improved in this game but they absolutely do not replace the high level spells. And don't tell me tech does either. Can't stop time with a computer.


These boards are gaga about the Occultist.

I'd generally but forward the Bard if you need a Core Class.

For Martials, the Vigilante is the best in my opinion. Very modular and customizable. Good in and out of combat.


Shinigami02 wrote:
Larkos wrote:
So not a single person beside Nethys saw past this paradigm even though there were ways to gain other types of spells like the Magic domain for the Cleric? A Lich with thousands of years of continuous study and a genius intellect couldn't see past a "paradigm?"

People have been seeing past the Paradigm since the CRB. They were called Mystic Theurges... and if you'll notice they were frequently considered "weaker" casters, for generalizing rather than specializing.

But even besides that, why is magic generally weaker? Because, if you'll notice, the casters learned how to do things other than just sling spells. They learned how to have tricks that aren't quite so limited in a day but are stronger than Cantrips. We in a meta angle call them "Class features", and they were fairly lacking in most 9-level casters (excepting maybe Oracle and possibly Arcanist.)

Mystic Theurges cast using to different sources. That's the point. They cast divine spells with a divine class and arcane with an arcane class.

Metaphysician wrote:

Magic *isn't* weaker. There's just less use and less need for narrowly focusing on mastering spellcasting and nothing else. Most of the things 7th-9th level spells do, are better done *other ways* in a world with advanced technology and industrialized technomagic. If you need a Gate, you don't find a high level archmage, you instead build one in a factory. If you need to blow something up, you don't cast a Meteor Swarm, you just shoot it with artillery.

Thus, the magical classes that are most common intermix spellcasting with other, also useful, powers and skills. This is not because you *can't* narrowly dedicate yourself, but because the vast majority of adventurers *don't*, because it doesn't pay off.

Magic is certainly weaker if you are *unable* to cast the higher order magic outside of Wish through a class feature. Being able to create your own Gate is way better than building one in a factory which can't be done anyway. Meteor Swarm was always a weaker spells anyway.

Tech has maybe taken some of the place of the weaker magics but it hasn't supplanted the higher order stuff. Eloritu teaches this exact thing. He doesn't believe technology can totally replace magic.

In fact, what you're saying almost says the exact opposite of your point. If I don't have to waste my time learning light when I can buy a flashlight, shouldn't that leave me more time to learn the stronger stuff?

Letting the casters have decent weapons that require little training means they should be better able to specialize in magic. Tech is supposed to be user-friendly after all.

Most of the lower order stuff can be done with tech like a grenade acting like Burning Hands.

No Tech can equal Time Stop, Soul Bind, Wail of the Banshee, Weird, Mage's Disjunction, Greater Create Demiplane, and Communal Mind Blank to name a few. And don't say Wish because it explicitly only duplicates 8th or lower spells. (unless you want to risk a Jackass Genie GM.)


The Drunken Dragon wrote:

The whole "demarcations of magic disappearing" actually seems kind of...organic to me.

As someone refines the knowledge of a science, things that were once considered to be unrelated become far more interdisciplinary. Take psychology for example. Used to be considered entirely abstract and philosophical, but now incorporates biology, chemistry, endocrinology, medicine, etc.

Honestly, as people began to study the actual undercurrents of magic, they might have begun to notice certain patterns and trends they thought were unrelated. "Esoteric" and "divine" were already closely related (plenty of archetypes for psychic classes switched their spellcasting to divine), and there were already classes that cast one type of spell as a different form of magic (bards and alchemists with the "cure" line of spells, for e.g.). It stands to reason that as breakthroughs in understanding how magic works would allow people to unify disparate disciplines into one, and the specific specializations become stylistic rather than rigid.

Then why is it weaker? If the study of magic was always heading to this "organic" combination of all magic types despite their different sources, then why can't people cast the higher-order spells?

Don't give me the specialization argument. Since divine grant is still a valid power source then it makes sense that a Deity would want to give their champion in the material plane the best magics.

The Raven Black wrote:

First, when people are caught up in a paradigm, they will not even think of trying something everybody knows does not work and in fact cannot happen. And it takes quite some time to reverse this.

Second, deities in PFRPF/SFRPG are neither perfect nor omniscient. And that includes Nethys too. Maybe his madness came from seeing that all magics are one and he kept it separated as much as he could to prevent his mind from fracturing further

And Eloritu prefers it this way, thank you very much : magic as an esoteric art that needs dedication to explore, much less truly master

So not a single person beside Nethys saw past this paradigm even though there were ways to gain other types of spells like the Magic domain for the Cleric? A Lich with thousands of years of continuous study and a genius intellect couldn't see past a "paradigm?"

Eloritu dumbing everything down was my original hypothesis but I can't see him doing it intentionally to make magic more mysterious when everyone else's argument and the CRB's argument is that people in Starfinder understand magic better not worse.

If magic is supposed to be mysterious then Eloritu is bad at his job...which was my point in the first place.


The Sideromancer wrote:
Larkos wrote:
Magic is something apart from science and can't be understood under the same methods.
Then how do wizards work? If certain inputs to a system cannot reliably produce the same effects, it should be impossible to learn spells from anything other than experimentation, or even at all. Yet nobody ever bothers to reinvent shocking grasp.

It has repeatable effects except when it doesn't. Sorcerers have to use verbal and somatic components unless Mom was a psychic.

Wizards have spellbooks that repeat effects true but then those spells can be granted without the "science" of wizardry.

If everyone could could experiment their way to Clone or Prismatic Wall, they why haven't people in Starfinder?

And I'm tired of people saying that the ability to cast Wish/Miracle in a roudabout way is in no way equivalent to what a Wizard, Cleric, or Psychic had. It can't replace having 7th, 8th, and 9th level spell slots.


I think I can compare spellcasting in Pathfinder and Starfinder when they're in the same universe. I like the mechanics of the spells just fine, I just want a better explanation.

Technology simply hasn't replaced magic all together. It does a lot of cool things that was once only available to Mages but it can't create a demiplane.

And 1d6 in Pathfinder and 1d6 in Starfinder is exactly the same. You roll a six-sided dice to determine something. What it determines is different but this is not the difference between Pathfinder and World of Darkness or Star Wars d6.

Ventnor wrote:
Consider the fact that the pre-gap God of magic had a kind of crazy dualism thing going on. Perhaps it was the very nature of magic's patron that created the divide between divine and arcane casting, and now that he's no longer magic's main deity means that those artificial limitations were removed?

This is best explanation I can think of and the point I was getting at in my original post.

I fundamentally do not believe that the way magic works could be altered by mere mortal understanding. Magic is something apart from science and can't be understood under the same methods. In fact, this transition kind debunks that notion as magic has fundamentally changed without a real explanation.

Do the Elder Undead on Eox or the oldest Elves on Castrovel have access to 9th-level casting assuming they're the correct class? Why shouldn't they? If they don't, that means magic itself has changed and it is objectively weaker. (Not that this is a bad thing. Starfinder has a much better balance between casters and non-casters.)


Davor Firetusk wrote:
Larkos wrote:
Davor Firetusk wrote:
Your past distinctions in magic only reflected your primitive understanding and traditions. Flavorwise that does make sense, given that we can in fact research things for years and years and still achieve significant advancements, like the unification of forces in physics at high energies.

Makes sense? BS.

How did the All-Seeing Eye not know or tell his own clerics that they should be able to cast wizard spells just fine?

How did not a single wizard or arcanist not realize that they could cast Divine spells just fine?

Also this move isn't an advancement per se. Yes a person can cast fireball and cure but they can't cast time stop. One step forward, two steps back.

The entire history of science could be reduced to asking how did they not? questions. This is applicable given that researching spells is a thing. So there is clear established precedent for humanoid understanding of magic being limited. Yes they can cast timestop, its called wish. Same effect and instead of laboring under the limiting lens of past magics a true practitioner has unlocked the pure secret of magic and need not waste hours of time with complex overly specific rituals. That sounds pretty advanced to me. Finally on the divine side the gods always choose which spells to provide access. It is not a question of them not knowing.

So a technomancer being able to cast Wish in a more difficult and roundabout way (and similar character levels) is why all other spells above 6th level have disappeared?


Deadmanwalking wrote:

I don't think magic types are gone, I think it's pretty clear they still exist. However, they no longer matter mechanically. And are thus close to irrelevant.

Why? Because the technology of magic has evolved. There are now known Arcane methodologies to do everything that Divine spells do, and vice versa. And the same for Psychic spells.

So...what differences does that leave? I'm sure somebody can come up with soemthing, to which I'll respond with 'They now have the spell technology to ignore that.' And if that's the case requiring specificity in type of magic is meaningless and unnecessary.

Indeed, the technology of magic has advanced to a point where all spells are still and silent. Think about that when you get annoyed at only 6-level casting. In Pathfinder, it'd be 8th level, since they are all benefiting from the equivalent of two Metamagic Feats for +2 Spell Levels. That's just standard now, and expected.

Now, even as the spells have become more user friendly, they've in many ways become less necessary, since so many things that used to be done exclusively with magic are now done with mundane technology. Being able to engineer magical or hybrid items is now more necessary and useful than casting a few earthshaking spells, and consequently favored in terms of education (all PCs with Mysticism effectively have all item crafting feats).

So magic has evolved to be more user friendly and more focused on infrastructure than short term flash. That seems an exceedingly reasonable evolution to me.

The CRB says on one page that spellcasting is verbal and then on another it says that there aren't any components anymore.

Still, Silent Chain Lightning is cool but is it equivalent to creating a demiplane? Or having a clone backup?

I also fail to see how sorcerous spellcasting wasn't "user-friendly;" they got it by virtue of being born and didn't have to work for it like a Technomancer does (I think, I mean they have academies.)

The technomancer also throws a wrench in the idea that magic wanes as technology waxes. They are often integrated and do not oppose each other. There is no reason we can't have both powerful magic and advanced technology.


Drali wrote:
Larkos wrote:

Makes sense? BS.

How did the All-Seeing Eye not know or tell his own clerics that they should be able to cast wizard spells just fine?

How did not a single wizard or arcanist not realize that they could cast Divine spells just fine?

Also this move isn't an advancement per se. Yes a person can cast fireball and cure but they can't cast time stop. One step forward, two steps back.

Make's sense to me.

Gods keep secrets for their own reasons, often to push their undefinable agenda.

And as for wizards or arcanists, there's actually precedent, in the healer wizards, white mage arcanists, ect. And bards have been doing the "combo divine and arcane" for forever.

But the point you're missing, is the DID figure it out. That's why magic is all mushed together. Because they figured out it came from one source.

Yes, they can't cast Time-stop. Neither can a Bard.

The bards' combo is a legacy thing from their original incarnation as the first prestige class where they had levels in mage and cleric.

I know they can't cast time stop but wizards et al. could. That's my point.

If they have a more advanced understanding of magic then why are the spells weaker?

How come sorcerers in the past got access to full casting and now they don't? Why do the gods grant less power now? Why did that have strict rules about spell components (somatic, verbal, etc.) then but not now?


Davor Firetusk wrote:
Your past distinctions in magic only reflected your primitive understanding and traditions. Flavorwise that does make sense, given that we can in fact research things for years and years and still achieve significant advancements, like the unification of forces in physics at high energies.

Makes sense? BS.

How did the All-Seeing Eye not know or tell his own clerics that they should be able to cast wizard spells just fine?

How did not a single wizard or arcanist not realize that they could cast Divine spells just fine?

Also this move isn't an advancement per se. Yes a person can cast fireball and cure but they can't cast time stop. One step forward, two steps back.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

What caused Nethys to become saner? #theGap?

Does that mean that his insanity made magic stronger? Now that he's just a secretive dude, he won't let people have 7-9 level spells?

Why did he clearly demarcate divine, arcane, and psychic then but have them mushed into a flavorless lump now?


pixierose wrote:
Also Nethys didn't disappear. The only deities known to be missing are Torag and Rovagug. Nethys just isn't as popular.

If that's true then it is unknown. The Core Rulebook doesn't account for him. He could be less popular or he could be missing.

I don't see why he'd be all that unpopular when his replacement is very much like him.


So one of Starfinder's big things is that 9th-level spells are gone. We can only cast up to sixth level and the distinctions between arcane, divine, and psychic are somehow loosened despite not being how magic worked for centuries before the Gap.

Coincidentally, the God of Magic has been replaced. Nethys, namesake of the beloved Archives, is inexplicably gone. He's not even mentioned in the Minor Deity section like Calistria or Torag. Nethys has simply vanished.

Core Rule Book wrote:

Whereas in the ancient past, magic in the Pact Worlds was broken into many different traditions, today magic is

seen as a single group of physically impossible phenomena,
regardless of where it comes from or how it’s manipulated.
Traditional distinctions like “arcane” and “divine” magic have
long since been abandoned, and while different casters may
access magic through very different means, from hightech
reality hacking to the study of occult items or the
channeling of divine power, all are simply different means
of accomplishing the same goals.

How did this happen? How did thousands of year of magical study fail to find that Divine, Arcane, and Psychic spellcasting were actually all the same thing and work completely the same?

I propose that it wasn't.

Nethys may have been the reason why spells were stronger and better demarcated. Eloritu is weaker but more egalitarian with magic, granting all he has to just about anyone. Or perhaps he had to make magic easier because of technology out pacing his sixth-level spells.

So in other words, Nethys left and took the big dog spells with him and his replacement just wasn't up to the task of embodying Magic.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Corset of Dire Witchcraft or the Cackling Hag's Blouse


I think this should sum it up.


I just love the aesthetics of the Picaroon so much. It just needs so much work to get it to where it should be.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Avenger Vigilante isn't fighter+ per se. For an intelligent, rough-and-tumble leader of men that's the Vanguard Slayer.

Yes it won't win the DPR Olympics but it has combat boosters, the same HD and BAB, good fort and reflex save, initiative bonus, the ability to hand out teamwork feats, and enough skill points to really keep up with some of the other faces. It certain beats the Lore Warden and Duelist for Intelligent Fighter in my mind.

Avenger Vigilante is instead Swashbuckler+. Again it won't win a pure damage game but it is the highly mobile frontliner that the Swashbuckler was promised to be.

With close the gap and mad rush, it can move while keeping damage and without sucking a million AoOs. It has a good reflex will save, good amount of skills with in-class boosters to face skills, and full bab.

This is more inline with the root of both classes: The Scarlet Pimpernel. Note that I have only seen the stage play Percy is an excellent talker and can hold his own in a sword fight but is outmatched by his nemesis who is a career soldier. It's Percy's quick-thinking and ability to lead that wins the day rather than skill-at-arms.


I like them as Arcanists like the iconic but then again I'm the idiot that actually likes the elemental attacking exploits. If you want a blasty Arcanist, they have a CHA bonus for extra damage, Dex and size bonus for attack bonus, size to AC, and +1 to all saves.


6 people marked this as a favorite.
Vic Wertz wrote:
Mine all mine...don't touch wrote:
Can we get pronunciations on the iconics? I am seeing "I seff" but my friends are saying "I sep"
I believe it's pronounced "0100100101110011011001010111000001101000."

For those too lazy to google, that string of 0 and 1s converts to Iseph in binary.

Would still like a Taldane pronunciation of her name though. That is if Taldane is still Common.


I'm not trolling. Inigo may not have str 7 but he isn't very strong either. Neither is Wesley for that matter. They fight using technique and manual dexterity.


I prefer the Swashbuckler as a low-str fighter. I think that fits the class fantasy better. There's a big difference between Inigo Montoya (swashbuckler) and Fezzik (barbarian or maybe fighter.)

I'd replace the deed system with something more modular. This would allow SecretWizard to make his more str-based swashbuckler and me to make my dex-based cloak-and-rapier style swashbuckler without having to spend way too many feats on it.

A more str-based swashbuckler could also just be an archetype too.


I hear the Warlock is a pretty good thrower.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

The half-casters usually have class features to help them along. Bards and Skalds have bard song to boost their attack and damage. Inquisitors have bane, judgments, teamwork feats, and possibly inquisitions. Summoners have their Eidolons which the player controls. Magi have their arcane talents and touch attacks. Hunters have their animal companions and teamwork feats.

Really the Warpriest is the only one who relies on his spells to boost attack and damage. They have fervor to make things easier. Their sacred weapon and armor does alleviate things but they're limited. However, after playing a Warpriest from lvls 12-16. I can say that I used spells outside self-buffing and had a fun time. I was valuable outside of combat.


I liken the Aboleth to the Reapers from Mass Effect.

Mass Effect spoilers:
They both are mysterious precursors who built up civilizations and then destroyed them when they got too advanced. They both have flimsy motivations. They are both have great designs and can really ratchet up the terror.

The Reapers from Mass Effect lost a lot of cred when their motives are finally revealed. They don't want machines wiping out organics so they built machines to wipe out organics every 50,000 years. It makes zero sense until the revelation that their leader, the catalyst, is a VI not an AI. It got its orders from the Leviathans and can't change from it.

I think Paizo is trying to avoid the fan hate that ME 3 got for this revelation among others. Once Mass Effect got specific, fans rightly tore it apart for the lack of basic logic of the Reapers' actions considering their motivations.

If they nailed down a real motivation for the Aboleths, it would probably be pretty dumb considering their actions: "Hey guys! I got a great idea for stopping those uppity humans! Let's drop a colossal meteor on the planet that *we* live on!"


GM Mimi wrote:
Quote:
My Witch works best in a wilderness campaign but there are already multiple witches. I have a old Vanguard Slayer kicking around if we need more outdoors survivalist type characters.
Feel free to kick around a few different ideas. If you'd like to wait until closer to the closing date before you settle on one, that's fine. If you haven't made up your mind by then, I might be able to help you decide.

I have over two dozen characters so it's not a problem to find something that fits the party. I also design every character to be able to start just about anywhere. The Slayer was designed to start in Sandpoint for RotRL but that can be tweaked easily.

Valeriya (my witch) is from a big city but I designed her backstory that she can start the campaign anywhere.

Jiang Tai (Swashbuckler) is from Goka and will be arriving to the Inner Sea via boat so it can land anywhere.

Freya (Arcanist) is from Andoran but wants to explore the world.

Can we get a list of the people and classes interested?


CucumberTree wrote:
Will the gunsmithing feat allow me to craft an advanced firearm?

It's an elaborate ruse!


My Witch works best in a wilderness campaign but there are already multiple witches. I have a old Vanguard Slayer kicking around if we need more outdoors survivalist type characters.


Freya Solheim, Arcanist Extraordinaire!

Jiang Tai, Adventurer from Tian Xia!

Valeriya Ilyinishna, Cute Witch of the North

ABP is great for boosting Martials and allowing more fun and flavorful items.


I have a Swashbuckler, Witch, or Arcanist I can play very easily.

Thirded on the Background skills. Also wanna suggest ABP.


Bloodbound by F. Wesley Schneider is my favorite. Good characters and a great climax. It deftly avoids the usual PF book problem of a low-level character somehow beating a high level character.

Stalking the Beast is a fun D&D-style adventure with a good cast of characters. I went in not knowing it was a sequel but still enjoyed it.

The Crusader Road may be "Kingmaker: the book" but it's a fun coming-of-age story set in an interesting fantasy pioneer backdrop. It's got magic and goblins and a great cast of characters.

Firesoul has some of the best setting detail and some interesting characters but the plot is overly complicated. For those who want the Mwangi Expanse to be more than "Bunga Bunga Land," this book is great.

Nightglass also has good setting detail but its huge shift in plot and character after the first part of the book hurts the book. You have to really like Iseim to enjoy this book and I only kinda liked him.

Nightblade, the sequel to Nightglass, is less disjointed in story but totally divorced from the first book. It's a dungeon crawl with a fairly interesting plot set up but the characters can't hold everything up. The dungeon is fun and creepy but it ultimately ends up not meaning anything.


We finally have a dedicated pet class with mechanical pets!

I've been wanting this for a long time. My favorite Star Wars character I've made fought like that so I can finally port her over to Pathfinder.


My first (and worst) GM ran a campaign that had 6 people. The wizard and the fighter of the group started fighting over things in game. The GM was best friends with the wizard so he took it out on the fighter. Usually this meant having his expensive equipment ruined. We joked that if we sovereign glued his armor to him, the GM would make it rain universal solvent.

It didn't get really bad until the second campaign we did. (He was the only GM on campus with a spot free.)

The next campaign followed from the first one. The wizard and fighter had become demigods in the meantime. The GM ruled that the wizard who had become the demigod of protecting the timestream (our characters had time-traveled so it wasn't really out-of-place) and had a respectable following.

The Fighter had become the demigod of winter and mercenaries because he had become a demigod by killing an evil winter god that made it snow all the time. The winter god was trapped near a city called Winterfall because the evil god made it winter all year round due to his presence. After the Fighter killed him, the city had a milder, more temperate climate. This somehow crashed their economy which had been solely built on exporting ice to the Dwarves. This is despite the fact that the Fighter and Wizard killed the evil god 500 years in the past due to aforementioned time-travel. I repeat: the economy of Winterfall had not recovered in 500 years.

My character in this campaign was a lvl 7 cleric of the Fighter God. It was decided that I was technically the most powerful cleric of this religion because "mercenaries wouldn't need a god especially one that was LN." Thus I suddenly became high priest and decided to build up the church just to spite the GM.

The Fighter's player, meanwhile, decided to play a summoner with an Eidolon that was because a Machamp with wings and poisoned claws. This was a huge mistake.

When the summoner tried to buy something from a shopkeeper, the shopkeeper was horrified and threw him out. After a lot of arguing, the player decided to compromise and de-summon the Eidolon. This wasn't good enough and he was still kicked out. This was happening in the Dwarven city we were in which only allowed non-Dwarves in one sector. The shopkeeper decided that merely throwing him out of the store wasn't enough. He sent an assistant out to every single shop and inn to tell them about the Summoner. He was banned from every store and almost every inn. The only inn he was allowed in was the shady as hell one. I was the only one who accompanied him to that inn and stood by him. The rest of the party were either fed up and on the verge of quitting or GM pets.

The rules for how to control Eidolons hadn't come out yet so there was a night-long argument about who got to control him. This arose after the player used his Machamp to set off traps rather than risk the life of the ninja. The GM rule zeroed him and took control of the Eidolon away. He then ruled that his Eidolon hated him. The Player decided to scrap that character because he was now unplayable and introduced a sorcerer but the campaign and our time with that GM died shorty thereafter.

TL;DR version: A GM had a beef with a player so he restructured his whole world to screw over both of his characters.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Son of the Veterinarian wrote:
It's kind of head-scratching to me that what should have been an alternate class feature available to all Vigilantes is limited to just one archetype - and one that doesn't really fit the general MG theme in the first place.

A transformation sequence isn't thematic to Magical Girls?


Really the people of Sanford just wanted everyone in town to have the best village.

It's Nicholas Angel's fault for ruining everything. He's obviously CE.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tarik Blackhands wrote:

Further, if all it takes is "But it's for a good cause" to tack something down to Neutral, then basically its carte blanche for people to do anything they want providing there's a vaguely justified window dressing for it.

Bamboo shoots under the orc's fingers? Hey we needed to know where the raiders were coming from!

Slaughtering all the civilians in that village controlled by the dark wizard? We're cutting off his supplies and saving lives in the long run!

Summoning a legion of undead? Well they're only being used to fight the demon hordes...

Sacrificing 20 virgins to complete my lich ritual? Just think of all the good I can do as an immortal skeleton wizard!

Trust me, I'm at least a neutral guy here!

BRB. Conquering the Heavens for the Greater Good!

TN = Best N


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I'd give the the magical child the cleric spell list to represent the often light-based, angelic themed powers that magical girls get. Either that or the bard list to represent their musical talents.


from the dueling cape deed: "The foe can free it by using a full-round action to escape or by destroying the cape; a typical cape has hardness 1 and 3 hit points."

So no sunder necessary. Plus AoOs are too valuable for Swashbucklers anyway.

1 to 50 of 574 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>