GM_3826's page

Organized Play Member. 165 posts (171 including aliases). No reviews. No lists. 1 wishlist. 5 Organized Play characters.


RSS

1 to 50 of 165 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>

Saedar wrote:
Y'all need Mathmuse. None of you are without sin.

I'm not placing too much stock in any of the pattern seeking.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Jan Caltrop wrote:
I think it's like... if anything happens that would involve him, then that IMMEDIATELY takes over everything else, so for that Doylist reason he can't show up in these prophecies; or at least, more than ONE of them (he might be mentioned in the last, or might be the subject of the last one). In-'verse... if I recall correctly, he's pretty much considered a non-entity at the present. Or, that's not the right way to phrase it... something that can be safely not thought about? The same way people my age (ie anyone born after the Cold War ended) think about nuclear bombs; yeah they'd be bad, but it's been dealt with, we don't have to seriously worry about them.

Except these stories are very much about how you should be seriously worrying about things like Rovagug.


Vee8 wrote:

Anyone else think Groetus may be behind the prophecies?

He's a god with the void domain and is big on hopelessness and prophecies of the end times. He's also a sort of fundamental function of the universe so Yivali might be onto something there.

Moon Hags (or whatever they're called now) are also known for future sight iirc and they're associated with Groetus. Perhaps one of them wrote the prophecies?

That suggests that the idea that whatever is behind the prophecies is connected to the god that actually dies is a red herring given that Groetus's whole thing is "I will end it precisely when I am meant to", which is probably more terrifying than it ever being a lie.

...But I'm pretty sure it's a lie at this point because the extremely catastrophic results of most of these deities dying does not match the fact that most deities aren't fundamental anchors of reality and share their domains with many others. So, no.

I can see a moon hag doing it, though, because like many of followers of Groetus they miss the point and he doesn't care.


Easl wrote:

Guessing one of them...Sarenrae. Her corner looks pretty empty.

I would be so happy with that, as she's the only deity I think killing off would be a mistake, but I'm basing this off of thematics and it doesn't seem like the most suitably dramatic way to cap this off.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
The Raven Black wrote:
This blog post actually.

Effectively the thread, since it's only in the thread that they explained "you can use Paizo original content without having to reference the OGL, just be aware that you could easily mess up because there's a lot of things you might not expect that we didn't invent and copyright law is always more complicated than you think" free of legalese.


7 people marked this as a favorite.
DemonicDem wrote:

yeah...

especially because stupefying someone seems like a hostile action to me!

God, I seriously pity any player with a GM who goes above and beyond being so inflexible as to not allow a player to do anything in combat without it counting as a hostile action by counting a rider on an effect that is broken by hostile actions as one.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
scary harpy wrote:

As I understood it, Fey/Fairyfolk were once defined by their alignment...and if their alignment changed, they would change into another fey.

Now that alignment is history, how are the fair folk remastered?

Probably zero change since it didn't inherently have anything to do with alignment when it was the case (which it wasn't always, because fey) but more "nature". Gremlins are nasty little creatures because they represent disorder and nature's tendency to break things down. Nymphs are kind and beautiful because they represent the life-giving aspects of nature. Those things were true and should remain true since they had nothing to do with alignment. I could be wrong though.

I've never heard of the changing into other fey part. That's news to me.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

So, holy effects are more effective against the things good damage was more effective against before, while not being more effective against the things it wasn't, and having easy access to it still comes with a tradeoff of being more vulnerable to creatures with unholy effects as long as a stat block specifies it does (such as, outside the Monster Core, the unholy rune and chilling darkness spell).

Some people are doom posting in other places about the removal of alignment damage but it honestly sounds like things will end up being more or less the same. Lawful and chaotic damage rarely came up and when they did it was annoyingly difficult to guarantee you had it when you needed it. Evil damage was rarely a significant part of a monster's damage profile as many PCs were immune. I don't think monsters have gotten significantly worse without it and I doubt that one family of celestials no longer being vulnerable to unholy effects for flavor reasons is going to make the rare campaign where a PC will want to blast a celestial with unholy energies any more awful.


Captain Morgan wrote:

Higher level aeons have a weakness to spirit damage.

Whenever I heard someone suggest that this was the solution to high level aeons having regeneration deactivated by a damage type that doesn't exist, my response was that made zero sense and that the remaster would either give them a different weakness or fast healing instead of regeneration.

I have egg on my face now.


A few things:

This seems to be at least partly a pot shot directed towards people who feel like there are holes in the essence system that need to be filled. A pseudo canonical statement that Matter and Spirit and Life and Mind are metaphysically incompatible. Which was true already, but is difficult for people who like "filling in gaps" to wrap their head around.

(Really, the traditions are still defined primarily by source/origin; the essences explain their limitations and what makes each tradition distinct, but there's still no way to cast divine magic without being an outsider, connected to them, or deriving it from something external like a deity or divine domains themselves.)

The idea that the death of a single god of magic, from a single planet, could have repercussions on the same scale as the death of She Who Must Be Named from that setting the author of Kingmaker made is completely ridiculous, simply because he is not alone in the universe. Eloritu would probably smite whoever wrote the Godsrain Prophecies for suggesting that.

(Yes, he exists. There are literally canon crossovers between Pathfinder and Starfinder. The latter is an alternate timeline that splits after Eloritu is born.)

The theory Yivali is raising that these "prophecies" are mindgames by a villain who may actually be behind the god murder is one I've had since like, the third one. They can be awfully dense, but then again, kind of comes with the job description.

I will defend the Urgathoa Godsrain Prophecy, simply because Urgathoa really is a fundamental part of undead cosmologically (she's the whole reason why they're divine and not occult or something) and she's like the one evil deity I wouldn't give PCs a plot device to take down outside Rovagug if it did more for the story I wanted to tell than anything else, simply because it is so weird to have divine undead without her. It's really impossible for me to take this one about Nethys at face value simply it's because it's such an extreme result for a deity that is small pickings on the kind of scale his death is spiraling consequences of.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

People keep talking about Thuvia in a way that clearly tells anyone that has read the Enmity Cycle they haven't actually bothered to pick up the book. It's kinda sad. That book is all about intrigue and politics in Thuvia and how the city states cooperate with each other. It also explains very carefully that there's a lot more to it than just the sun orchid elixir that escapes the notice of other countries.

There are also several new nonhuman ethnicities in 2E that are native to the Golden Road region, namely the Vourinoi (desert elves), Vahird (Rahadoumi dwarves), Paraheen (dwarves that are a respected ethnic minority in Katheer), and Jaric (halflings that live on the Barrier Wall). The Barrier Wall is technically on the border of northern Garund and the Mwangi Expanse, but they're not brought up once in the Mwangi Expanse book, so they're presumably more on the northern side of things. There's also the Pahmet, who were a thing in 1E too.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Tropkagar wrote:
Thuvia and Katapesh: I mix them up because I don't think either country has enough color to be interesting to me. Katapesh loses out to me as the trading capital of the Inner Sea. Absalom is much better. Thuvia as a country famous for its single elixir is no more interesting.

Katapesh's deal is being the place where you get things that are highly regulated in Absalom. Not just slaves—drugs, poisons, magic items that can be used to create undead, you name it, and if you have the connections you can find it somewhere in Katapesh. Think of it as the Gotham to Absalom's Metropolis.

Thuvia, meanwhile, has received a lot of love as of late. If you want to see a take on Thuvia that isn't centered around the Sun Orchid Elixir, check out the Enmity Cycle. If you want the Ancient Near East, but not Egypt, the Enmity Cycle is by and large dedicated to exploring that space, and has a gazetteer on the area.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
The Raven Black wrote:
zimmerwald1915 wrote:
keftiu wrote:
This talk had me go double check Gatewalkers #1, which describes Sovyrian as part of a Castrovel backmatter article... as a place of cities in decline from their ancient grandeur, clinging to traditionalism and scorning the Elves of Golarion as having abandoned both kin and homeland. Sovyrian's military is, in fact, described as "shrinking," in desperate need of outside aid to secure outlying settlements on Castrovelian turf - these guys aren't projecting interplanetary force, they can barely hold their own border provinces.
This is just about how Aiudeen were described in the earliest days of the Pathfinder Campaign Setting, so I anticipate the contrite editorial statements about how this description was also in error.
The source is far more recent, so unlikely to be an old error.

Also, Soyvrian is described as "not so much isolationist as simply isolated", being as welcoming of those from other planets as other continents and maintaining contact with the rest of Castrovel, so still on brand for elves in 2E.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I feel like it's worth noting that, as explained in the article on Castrovel Trop mentioned, while Castrovel has more contact with Golarion than anywhere else in the solar system, the elves of Soyvrian call the migration of elves to Golarion the Abandonment, in the same way Golarion elves call it the Return. The premise that the Soyvrian elves and Kyonin are buddy buddy or that Soyvrian considers Kyonin a part of its territory is strictly untrue. The aiudeen only consider themselves aliens because their return was so recent in their cultural memory. They have about as much contact with their homeland as second generation immigrants have with their estranged relatives.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

The good news for you, Trop, is that by all indications the set-up for any future adventure in Numeria is going to be "the PCs are part of Kevoth-Kul's court, former Technic League agents are causing problems, keep the cold war from going hot." The Dominion of the Black don't play any role in that.

As for the Sarkoris Scar, there isn't such a thing as "traditional Sarkorian religion". Lost Kingdoms elaborates on the whole thing. Sarkorian religion was always a wildly syncretic, anything goes, whatever-it-means-to-you kind of thing. Maybe there are Sarkorians that are rigid about what those in diaspora bring back, but the Reclaimers would almost certainly have the attitude that Sarkorian culture is only enriched by the kinds of beliefs southern religions would find heretical. God Calling is simply one of an innumerable number of extremely personalized traditions from Sarkoris. I can't see religious schisms being a major problem, as they weren't even really a thing in Old Sarkoris.

Mendev's place in the world is pretty clear, and elaborated on in both the World Guide and some of the more recent adventures that take place there. It's a place that is defined by a post-war economic crash, where more disreputable types from the crusades wreak havoc, and the government struggles to recover and return to the indigenous people what is rightfully theirs.

Recent AP:
I think Gatewalkers Book 2 does a lot to set the scene when the PCs find their way to Egede.

Lastly I'm pretty sure that if Razmir was killed, there'd be serious unrest in Razmiran because of the simple fact that it proves that Razmir was never a living god in the first place. It wouldn't be "someone no better takes their place". It'd be "oh, whoop, you better stick around and make sure you don't cause any more problems, because this place is on the verge of a complete societal collapse without its divine ruler". "The systems of power are too entrenched" is a plotline that would make complete sense if those systems weren't based around the literal invulnerability of its ruler, but that's not Razmiran.


Also looking at it from the perspective as a player, Cheliax being hard to perceive as a threat makes sense knowing that authoritarian governments in the real world typically struggle with systemic weakness as a result of over-reliance on coercion. As in, Cheliax as portrayed now is entirely consistent with a specific interpretation of its place in the world, it's just not "indomitable evil empire". If it's not supposed to be threatening from our perspective, it doesn't need to have a major victory over the status quo. From that angle, Asmodeus and his followers seemingly struggling to maintain control makes sense and doesn't pose any issues. This is especially true considering that there are two other tyrannical empires in the Inner Sea region that do the "trains run on time" shtick much better, including another in Old Cheliax.


The most recent mention was in the Impossible Lands book, which also says 4690 on the sidebar on page 17. Probably safe to say listing 4684 as the date was an error.


On second thought, if Kaladay is located on the northeastern edge of the Castrovin Sea, while Kakkari is on the southwestern edge, you may not be able to incorporate it into the same map without including Kelesh to the south. So since Kaladay is somewhat different thematically from Iobaria, Kakkari, and Ninshabur, it would be just those 3, which I still think would make for a great book.

Tropkagar wrote:
Oh, I would be perfectly happy to see a book like this. I just find it a bit unlikely. I agree that Casmaron has enough content for such a book, but I'm afraid that hardly anyone will dare to sell three or even four books even on such a saturated continent (although I would be an absolute fan of such an idea and would be happy to see , for example, a detailed description of each satrapy of the Padishah-Empire of Kelesh).

I'm looking at it from a bit of a different perspective, is the thing. "There's too much Casmaron content!" isn't really the right complaint if they're marketing it as a book that appeals to a specific kind of fantasy, rather than to those looking for stories inspired by a particular culture. Still, I recognize that this wouldn't be surprising to hear. I'm holding my breath.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

To reiterate since it may have been lost in the wall of text I posted, I think we should get a book on northern Casmaron as a whole. Right now the area is united thematically by being the location of several ruined kingdoms, which scratches an itch that Golarion otherwise doesn't. Put Iobaria, Kakkari, and Ninshabur in the same book, throw in Kaladay due to its geographic proximity to the other locations, make a map, and sell it as a setting for players that are looking for a game where settlements are scattered and the bulk of the land is wilderness. I don't know about you, but I'd eat that up, and I can't say the same for the rest of Casmaron. It's as doable as a book on Kelesh and Vudra, although it would likely be saved for last.


I think it makes more sense to do books on individual "regions" within Casmaron, for two reasons. One is that Casmaron is huge. Kelesh and Vudra could easily receive a book all to themselves. The article on Vudra in AP158 only supports this—there isn't one nation of Vudra or Vudrani ethnicity, there are multiple ethnic groups within Vudra and 9 separate regions. They're known as the Impossible Kingdoms, plural. (Not to be confused with the Impossible Lands.) This makes sense considering that the regions Kelesh and Vudra are based on in the real world were also very diverse and covered a much wider area than Europe. A book covering all of Casmaron would sacrifice depth for breadth.

Another reason is that different parts of Casmaron have different themes, and a person who purchases a book on Casmaron may really be looking for one specific area rather than the continent as a whole. That may seem like it'd be true of other settings, but it's less true of Tian Xia, Arcadia, or Southern Garund in comparison. The obvious thing is that a GM might just want to focus on Kelesh, or Vudra, or Iblydos, and not be all that interested in other parts of Casmaron, but it's not just about what a region's inspiration is. Many parts of Casmaron are perfect if a GM is looking to run a "Points of Light" game where civilization is scattered and kingdoms are ruined, with Iobaria and Ninshabur both being great settings for that. Kelesh and Vudra don't scratch that itch at all.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

This doesn't seem to be updating any longer, but I'm a little annoyed about how scattered this information is given how vital it is for campaign building, so I'm gonna share one Mermut missed and the cities of Thuvia.

Egede:
Settlement 6

LG, City

Insular, war-scarred trading hub whose glory days ended with the closure of the Worldwound.

Government Delegate (elected leader)

Population 28,590 (77% humans, 10% mixed-ancestry tieflings, 8% halflings, 5% other)

Languages Abyssal, Common, Hallit

Religions Gorum, Iomedae, Nocticula (as the Redeemer Queen)

Threats fanatical zealots, religious infighting, stray elements of demonic warfare

End of the Road With the end of the war to the west, Egede’s heyday is over, resulting in a poor local economy and inflated costs across the board. The Price of any item or service is 150% the usual amount. Characters can convince a vendor to lower their Prices by improving the vendor’s attitude to helpful.

Notable NPCs
Becka Rossum (LN female human shopkeeper 7) popular general store owner
Gaar Steelflare (LN male dwarf ex-crusader 5) zealous war veteran
Zolivelli Suth (LE female half-elf priest of Iomedae 6) high-ranking local church official

Merab:
Settlement 12

LN, Metropolis

Largest Thuvian city and unofficial capital

Government elected leader (mayor)

Population 56,870 (65% humans, 15% dwarves, 8% elves, 5% halflings, 7% other)

Languages Kelish, Osiriani, Taldane

Religions Abadar, Gozreh, Nethys, Pharasma, Sarenrae

Threats Water Lords, Inner Sea pirates, divs

Alchemical Oasis As the home to many important schools of alchemy, Merab’s markets have much greater access to alchemical items. Alchemical formulae and items up to level 20 can be purchased there.

Notable NPCs
Ilepodus (LN male human prince 12) Patron of Merab
Maisa el-Aarfa (NE female elf merchant 9) Ringleader of a smuggling operation
Ulthiir (LG male half-elf champion 12) Leader of the Blessed Orchid
Yulinix (N male gnome alchemist 16) High Alchemist of Merab, leader of the Alchemists’ Guild

Aspenthar:
Settlement 10

LN, Metropolis

Militaristic port city ruled by might

Government Monarchy

Population 25,680 (60% humans, 15% half-orc, 10% dwarf, 5% gnoll, 10% other)

Languages Kelish, Orcish, Osiriani, Taldane

Religions Abadar, Gorum, Iomedae, Sarenrae

Threats Osirion border raids, Water Lords, civil unrest

Well-Armed Due to the military focus and a well-armed population, weapons, armor, and runes for each are available up to level 14.

Notable NPCs
Izaith Sandborn (NG nonbinary half-orc cameleer 13) Dean of the camelry program at the Royal Military Academy
Jhuniri (LN female dwarf general 12) Military leader of Aspenthar’s forces
Prince Zinlo (LN male human ruler 14) Supreme leader of Aspenthar
Vhuthir (LE male half-orc bandit lord 13) Water Lord of the Shining Sands Oasis

Lamasara:
Settlement 8

CG, City

A vibrant riverside city devoted to the arts

Government Monarchy

Population 11,450 (50% humans, 25% elves, 10% gnomes, 5% halflings, 5% catfolk, 5% other)

Languages Elven, Kelish, Osiriani, Taldane

Religions Abadar, Brigh, Nethys, Pharasma, Sarenrae, Shelyn

Threats Water Lords, thieves’ guilds, divs

Artistically Inclined The incredible art scene in Lamasara means there are more opportunities for those interested in creative work. Earn Income tasks up to level 15 are available for any Craft related to the arts, as well as Performance.

Notable NPCs
Djamila bint Nacera (NG female half-elf cleric 10) High priestess of Shelyn at the Larksong Temple
Queen Zamere (NG female human queen 10) Queen of Lamasara, famed orator
Quinten Murrey (CG male human bard 12) Skilled performer with tales of his plane-hopping adventures
Silue Starbow (CN female elf guide 8) Proprietor of Starbow’s Tours, offering expeditions into the desert

Pashow:
Settlement 8

N, City

Magic-dependent city that manipulates nature to survive

Government Democratic collective

Population 5,932 (65% humans, 15% dwarves, 10% elves, 10% other)

Languages Dwarven, Kelish, Osiriani, Taldane

Religions Abadar, Gozreh, Nethys, Sarenrae

Threats Water Lords, spies trying to get to the Citadel of the Alchemist, harsh environment

Elemental Education Those wishing to learn elemental magic will find the Scrollspire well-stocked and its teachers welcoming. Spells with elemental traits up to level 12 are available.

Notable NPCs
Emir Guldis (N male human councilor 8) Former leader of Pashow and current city councilor
Lumi (N nonbinary elf elementalist 12) High Priest of Nethys
Shanouri al-Quaddam (NG female dwarf wizard 11) Protector of the shields
Ziralia (NG female human arcanist 12) Leader of Pashow, daughter of Prince Zinlo

Duwwor:
Settlement 6

N, City

Environmentally harmonious riverside city

Government Democracy

Population 8,300 (60% humans, 15% dwarves, 10% elves, 10% gnomes, 5% other)

Languages Dwarven, Mwangi, Osiriani, Taldane

Religions Abadar, Brigh, Gozreh, Sarenrae

Threats Harsh environment, raiders from the mountains, out-of-control clockworks

Quality Resources Few can deny the fine quality of ore from Duwwor. Ingots of steel, silver, and adamantine up to high quality are always available, although all these materials cost 10% more than normal. Their purity makes them easy to work with; the Craft activity done with these materials takes 1 fewer day (minimum 1).

Notable NPCs
Gamplix Noraneanithar (CG male gnome inventor 12) Erratic creator of clockwork miners
Kharane (N male human fighter 12) Defender of Duwwor
Saadia (N female half-elf druid 16) Archdruid of the House of Resurgent Life


I disagree that they would focus on manipulating positive energy, because that's not something you can really do with arcane magic. Arcane magic can only be used to manipulate negative energy so that necromancers can exist at all!

Arcane magic is based on the Matter and Mind essences. Arcane magic users are very good at working with physical forces and the mind, but the spirit and vital essence are something they struggle with. Necromancy is generally either based on Life essence or Spirit essence, which includes spells that manipulate negative energy. The necromancy spells that arcane magic users do get are a compromise between "wizards shouldn't be able to work with Life and Spirit essence" and "necromancers have always existed and play a major role in Golarion's history". As I mentioned, the one wizards do get are almost invariably negative energy-based, either creating undead or ending life.

Nex is not a nation that is focused on magic in general. There are other places that take a broader view on magic and magical education, particularly Nantambu and Osirion. It is a nation of wizardry, specifically, although they're also experts on alchemy. So as I said, those who study necromancy are likely to be viewed with suspicion, but will be left alone so long as they prove they aren't creating undead. Nexian necromancers would focus on anti-undead magic instead, so I imagine that some take the Hallowed Necromancer archetype, but that requires a good alignment (for now), a religious education, and greatest investment. Some won't bother.

On the other hand, there is absolutely no reason why other wizards wouldn't take necromancy spells that don't create undead. Again, it is undead in particular that Nex has a problem with. If necromancy gets a bad rap, it's only by correlation.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I'll start by noting that necromancy is one of 8 schools of magic, and it includes under its umbrella literally anything to do with positive and negative energy. Even on the arcane (wizard) list, which was stripped of most of the anti-undead effects in the transition to 2E and never had healing, the overwhelming majority of necromancy spells on the arcane list are centered around makings things dead, rather than undead, as is assumed of necromancers on Golarion and out.

Undead are the thing that the country of Nex explicitly has a problem with. As part of the imperialist themes of the Impossible Lands, Nex (and specifically the capital of Quantium) is welcoming of everything and everyone except undead. Nex is well aware that they're in the midst of a cold war with Golarion's only functional necrocracy and is therefore (somewhat understandably, given they're creatures driven by an inherent need to consume and destroy) xenophobic against undead.

Of course, since you don't actually have to create undead to be a necromancer, proving that you won't is enough to make you set. Nex is a fairly educated place as a magocracy, after all. The easy way would probably be to take the Hallowed Necromancer archetype to achieve the older "necromancer that fights against undead" flavor that 2E necromancers generally struggle with, but even non-Hallowed Necromancers could probably find work in positions where the ability to instantly kill things is useful, like as a magical executioner.

There's an example of an evil undead-creating fleshwarper in Zhane Faltrizan, but honestly it's unsurprising that many Nexian ctiizens have no interest in becoming necromancers given the traditional associations between the school and undead. That doesn't mean that every wizard doesn't use necromancy spells in some capacity—in fact, two new incarnate spells that are meant to represent the pinnacle of Nexian engineering have necromantic abilities!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
TRDG wrote:

COOL thanks are the maps pretty good and the storyline more of a mystery type investigation as it blurbs at the top I am hoping, or more mixed play? (as sometime the blurbs can be a bit misleading at times I have found out over the years here)

Thanks bud

Tom

There's some investigation involved, plenty of meaningful leads for investigators to pursue. The PCs don't immediately find out who the missing artists and the perpetrator of their disappearance are, but they're given several clues.

Spoiler:
There's also a supposedly Sarenite temple that is actually home to an Usji cult, which an investigative party could likely figure out and use to defuse a potential conflict.

If you're coming from, say, Gatewalkers, and looking for something more investigation-focused, you'll be very happy with the Enmity Cycle, speaking as someone who is currently running Gatewalkers and considering running the latter. There's still fights and dungeons, but the mystery is relevant until the very end.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I was hoping that divs would be involved in this adventure, as they're my favorite or second favorite kind of fiend, and the plot seemed to fit their modus operandi. Additionally, the LOAG mentioned div insurrections in Thuvia.

Spoiler:
I'm happy to see that that desire was fulfilled! According to page 54, divs are especially plentiful in Thuvia, frequently entering through the House of Oblivion.
Quote:
People often encounter these fiends in disguise, making travelers wary of random roadside encounters or strange‑acting animals.

Keep a cold iron scimitar handy! Or don't, scimitars kinda suck.


Also, Ravingdork, don't pretend you aren't the kind of person who thinks of a good argument after you have already posted.

Yeah, you're right, the GM could easily have you catch the baddy doing something mundane. In order to get optimal use of scrying, you have to be very careful about the timing, or you're at the mercy of the GM. But that's not difficult to achieve: Gather Information to see if they have any plans or what their schedule is like, or focus on a specific event that you are aware is occurring in the future but might not want to get involved in right away. If your GM declares "in spite of being informed that the BBEG would be doing something you may want to witness ahead of time, you catch them on the toilet for ten minutes", either it's really important or they're a bit of a dick.


Ravingdork wrote:
And it is useless. If the GM wants his NPCs to know something about your character, do you really think there is anything you could do to prevent that?

How so? Spells are the only option for players in this game that aren't designed for player use. There are lots of spells that are more dangerous in the hands of NPCs than PCs. Curses and Death Knell, for instance.


"I cast Scrying on the BBEG."
"You don't see anything."
"Do I get a check to counteract—"
"No."

Private Sanctum is, atypically for PF2E, an abjuration effect that cannot be foiled under normal circumstances. Which makes it an extremely powerful GM tool, for when you absolutely need to avoid giving away a major twist.

But this is why the rarity system exists, right? If you're not confident enough in your GMing ability to trust that you'll be able to work around a PC casting Scrying at the wrong time, you can just not let them take Scrying. It's weird to see Paizo break away from how spells are generally designed in this one case in particular.

Of course, Scrying is one of the most disruptive spells in the game, if not the most disruptive. Maybe having some foolproof way of dealing with it is not a bad thing. It just seems to be something of a relic of the spells arm race I've heard about in earlier editions, where BBEGs had to be spellcasters that had counters for whatever PCs might throw at them.

Scrying also only imparts visual information, but that could be derailing in some cases, such as finding out that a major antagonist that you've discovered speaks to an unknown party at a certain time on a regular basis is talking to another villain and may be working for them.

I don't know. I just can't be the only one who was a bit surprised at seeing that you can't counteract Private Sanctum with a scrying effect or anything. Even Spell Immunity requires that the caster make a counteract check each time the target is affected by the spell.

What are your thoughts?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Old_Man_Robot wrote:
Hyperbole my dude.

what is a hyperbole

Sorry, I'm bad with sarcasm. Still, these items are special in-universe. Just not extra special.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

If Qadira hadn't abolished mortal slavery when the Inner Sea's two biggest slavers did, it would have received its own section in LO: Firebrands, not three paragraphs.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Old_Man_Robot wrote:
They’re common items! Any decent magic shop in the land will have a cupboard full of ‘em!

This simply isn't true in 2E—only truly extraordinary settlements like Absalom and Quantium will be above 10th level or so. Even Katapesh is only 13th level. You can't easily acquire a 17th-level magic item in even the largest settlements. No reason to believe that will change in the Remastered version.

I am curious about how ability boosts are going to be handled with the switch to modifiers only: previously, you needed to invest two ability boosts at two different levels in order to raise the modifier from +4 to +5 or +5 to +6. Unless the math is receiving a tweak to account for this, how exactly is that going to work if there's no ability scores? I was always like "well, they can't just do this, even if it would be the sensible thing to do, because it's simply not intuitive to put an ability boost into a modifier and not raise it by 1 until you put another one in 5 or 10 levels later."


Travelling Sasha wrote:
My understanding is that Qadira practices slavery and the Satrap's consort is fairly outspoken on being against slavery, but I concede that I'm not totally up to date with what's what on Qadira right now, and I haven't read Firebrands. Yet!

That information is from Legends, which was written when abolitionism was still part of the metaplot. It's not anymore, at least not when it comes to chattel slavery.


Travelling Sasha wrote:
I mean, Katapesh and even the devil-worshippers in Cheliax (okay, technically, but you know) have abolished slavery, but the oh so great Qadira hasn't...

This statement made me double take, so I decided to double check and see what was said on the subject. The Firebrands section on Qadira talks about genie binding, but not mortal slavery. It was already said that genie binding would be harder to abolish in Legends, so that's an important distinction.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Was brainstorming the idea of Edasseril third partying the Linnorm Kingdoms and remembered that King Opir Eightfingers was currently unaccounted for. Was considering the idea that he might be brainwashed or swapped, so I decided to read through the Saga Lands section of the Lost Omen World Guide again. Lost my shit when I read that it's rumored that he's locked away in a cell in the "island reaches of western New Thassilon" specifically. Given that adventures for Pathfinder can often include unexpected twists, I might pick up this adventure just to see if this is where that plot bunny is picked up.


I think, logically, it should be possible to become a sorcerer through gene alteration, if sorcery is truly hereditary. Kind of like the "blood reconstruction" surgery in Fire Emblem: Three Houses. I have a concept for a half-elf sorcerer from Korvosa with the magical experiment background who became a sorcerer as a result of being tested on to create the blood veil plague. That said, I don't know if there's any canon examples of this happening.


2E's cosmology is different from 1E's in subtle ways. I don't know if there's an answer to this question in 1E, but there is a very neat and tidy one in 2E.

To elaborate, 2E introduces the concept of the four essences, which are the building blocks of both magic and the universe. This was mentioned by NECR0G1ANT, but to expand on this, there are four essences; matter, mind, spirit, and life. Matter and mind are exactly what it says on the tin, spirit is the soul stuff that makes up the planes, and life is positive and negative energy. Note that this means that, metaphysically, positive and negative energy and spiritual essence are two entirely separate things. There wouldn't be a negative counterpart to spiritual essence because spiritual essence is not tied directly to positive energy. Furthermore, in the essences system, matter and spirit are opposed to each other, and so are life and mind. For this reason, while there is a magical tradition for the other four combinations of essences, there is none for those two. For this reason, quintessence, spirit made physical, is no longer a case of an orphaned etymology. It's called that for very good reason. So, as N3CR0GIANT suggested, the opposite to quintessence is unaligned matter, or potentiality.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

According to the wiki, it's mentioned in the backmatter of book 5 of Hell's Vengeance that Cheliax lost Khari, the province they annexed from Rahadoum. The Firebrands book backs this up by stating that complications have arisen in Rahadoum since while the Firebrands oppose the First Law, they have supported the state of Rahadoum by informing them of Cheliax's plans to retake Khari. It's safe to say that this is correct, but the Character Guide states that Khari is still under Cheliax's control when it mentions the Order of the Wall. So, how is that order doing?


2 people marked this as a favorite.

The Continuing the Adventure section in the third and final book of Gatewalkers had a hook for adventures in the Golden Road I find intriguing.

Gatewalkers post-game:
You know how I had mentioned that Desert's Howl makes Thuvia an excellent setting for adventures around psychic magic and the paranormal? There's details on an organization in Thuvia named the Cult of the Evermind that recruits psychics under the guise of tutoring them only to ritually absorb their psychic energy. Their plot is to use that power to link the minds of the eleven members of the cult and consume the dreams of Osoyo, an psychic aberration of godlike power. That way, they can have that power for themselves.

I'm happy that James Jacobs and I were on the same page there!


zimmerwald1915 wrote:
Why bring "dethronement of the White Witches" into things, then, if what you actually meant was a social alignment shift?

Transitions of power simply don't happen overnight. The Jadwiga still have a lot of privilege because they're the people who have been educated on how to lead Irrisen. That doesn't mean that the White Witches still hold the power they did before. When the Lost Omens Character Guide mentions the Jadwiga, it says they "once ruled that land."

I think the wrench in this theory is that Baba Yaga is still in control. But, honestly, in order for an alignment shift to happen in the first place, it's safe to say that many of the wicked witches that once had sole rulership over the nation would lose power. Fiefdoms would change hands in the half a decade between the end of Reign of Winter and the beginning of 2E. And the rulers that were displaced would end up plotting a coup, which judging by how some call Anastasia the "Fraud Queen" is precisely what's happening.

The idea that the White Witches, an organization of Narnia villains, are somehow still the rulers of Irrisen after someone who was not part of the faction was put on the throne, and the nation ended up undergoing a great enough shift in values to no longer be evil, is something I don't think adds up. Whatever change would happen would have to be slow going, and it would also have to be overlooked by Baba Yaga, but it's happening, and I don't think it's possible for the White Witches to still be on the throne and for Irrisen to not be evil simultaneously.

Anastasia isn't good, but she'd want competent leaders who won't stab her in the back under her command, and evil fairy tale witches aren't conducive to that.


zimmerwald1915 wrote:
Yesand?

Irrisen being Neutral and not Neutral Evil does imply that it's more open to the worship of good deities, even if the Jadwiga "are as much a privileged caste as they ever were."


zimmerwald1915 wrote:
What dethronement of the White Witches? Jadwiga are as much a privileged caste in Irrisen as they ever were.

Look at the Lost Omens World Guide and read the listed alignment for Irrisen. It's N and not NE now.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I imagine that with the dethronement of the White Witches some goodly deities of the northern reaches are picking up steam. Alglenweis is a deity who had a witch cult in the Sarkoris Scar and is the goodly daughter of Kostchtchie—seems like she'd be popular among winter witches that are not affiliated with the White Witches. Pulura, empyreal lord of the northern lights, is another one who could very well be popular.


Vyre was the first thing I thought of.


The last king of Saggorak was a dwarven wizard named Harral who continues to protect it to this day in an undead form.


Yeah, I wasn't entirely serious. I'm well aware of the logical consequences of such a thing. It's just funny to justify it as OK because "calling is a thing that mortals are allowed to do", as that's a can of worms of its own.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
zimmerwald1915 wrote:
It's not a matter of Hell marching its legions into Cheliax, but a matter of Cheliax summoning Hellish legions to serve. A fine distinction, but the gods all permit the calling of outsiders, and if the devil-binders of Egorian have managed to get a leg up on doing it efficiently, well, deal with it.

Asmodeus: "If you're so upset, why not just—"

Sarenrae: "Provide mortals their own gate to the Upper Planes so they can call on that many celestials?"
Iomedae: "Thanks for the idea."
Zon-Kuthon: "Azzy, you are an idiot. You know that?"


1 person marked this as a favorite.

It's a little bit weird how the cover image for the Character Guide is a group of youkai, some of which we'd have no reason to believe would be playable characters were they not on the cover.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

One of the things that I'm most interested in when it comes to the book is finding out what the Tian-Yae's deal is! They were mentioned offhand in the original Character Guide, but the only detail they provided was that they were Tian descended from Yjae. No word as to whether or not they were what the people of Yjae became or a local ethnic group in Shaguang. Paizo would be remiss to not answer that!


PossibleCabbage wrote:
Will a 4-part AP be rounded out by 2 more 4-part APs or with one 2-part AP?

Maybe neither and we're just continually one month "off" from what we would be if it was another 3 or 6-part AP?


Oh wow! This was a bit sooner than i was expecting it, but i'm not unhappy!

1 to 50 of 165 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>