[PFS1][Gameday XII] PFS1e #9-09: Beyond the Halflight Path (STANDARD) (Inactive)

Game Master soulnova

Maps and slides
RPG Chronicles


1 to 50 of 415 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | next > last >>
Liberty's Edge

She/Her Human

Dot in here after you have been chosen.

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Gunslinger [Myst.Stranger] 5/Oracle 2 hp 32/51 | AC 20/t15/ff16 CMD 22, 23 vs. disarm | Fort 5, Ref 8, Will 6 +1 vs charm,compulsion| Init +6 | Spd 20 ft. (med. load) | Perception +9 | Grit pts 2/3

Blond-haired man wearing leather armor arrives mission briefing. He is carrying a musket and a flail hangs from his belt. "Greetings, My name is Jaakko Varpunen, and I'm a fairly decent musket shooter. Recently I have traveled to Cheliax and Katheer."

Grand Lodge

Male Human Swashbuckler(rondelero)7 HP 67 AC 27, T 19; FF 18, F +7, R +13, W +9, Init +7(+9), Perc +11

Katheer? I've spent a bit of time in the desert...but never made it there. I heard it is a beautiful city... a young man from Taldor says. he wears the notorious falcata on his hip, denoting him to be a Rondelero.

I'm Patros...nice to meet you. Just give me a warning before you fire off a volley with that thing, okay? he says with a chuckle.

Liberty's Edge

She/Her Human

While the rest of you come together at the Grand Lodge, you are approached by a young half-orc woman, a Pathfinder in training, to deliver a letter from Sheila Heidmarch, Venture Captain of the Magnimar Lodge.

"Oh, there you are! I mean-...*ehem*. Greetings from Sheila Heidmarch. She's entrusted me to deliver a letter of important orders for you." She proudly announces and hands over an envelope. Inside, alongside the letter, a carefully folded map of Kaer Maga lies, displaying the city's intricate layout, with a location clearly marked. She passes you a small note with some directions in Absalom city as well, and continues her practiced speech. “Arrangements have been made for you to be teleported with your group. Seek out the spellcasters designated for your team here, and they’ll whisk you right to Kaer Maga. I think you should still have some time to prepare. Uh… Good luck!"

With that, she nods and awkwardly steps back, wondering if she did a good job.

Slide Handout:

Sheila Heidmarch’s letter:

Greetings Friends,

For some time I have been making diplomatic inroads into Kaer Maga, the so-called City of Strangers.

The Society would love to gain access to the many vaults carved beneath the city long ago. However, because of the danger of the vaults, the group in charge of protecting them—the Duskwardens—rarely allows anyone to stray from their carefully patrolled paths. The Duskwardens seemed willing to consider allowing Pathfinders to venture beyond their protection, but only if we were acting on behalf of one of the city’s major factions with their endorsement. They want us to prove that we are willing to work as partners to a faction and that we will not upset the city’s existing balance of power.

After receiving the Duskwarden’s reply, I reached out to the leaders of several of the city’s largest factions with evidence of our agents’ skill and goodwill. Most of the responses I received were noncommittal. However, Horus Ilaktya took a greater interest. Illyakta is the de facto leader of the Ankar-Te District. He has asked me to send a group of agents to investigate a recent event that has caused property damage in his district. You should meet with him for further instructions.

A word of caution—very few in Kaer Maga are beacons of morality. In Ankar-Te, necromancy is respected, and people openly walk the streets with their undead servants. Horus is the owner of a shop called the Last Rites marked in your map, the district’s largest purveyor of mindless undead, or, as they locals euphemistically call them, Twice-Born.

Horus lives by his own code, a code that should make it safe for you to interact with him as long as you don’t interfere with his merchandise. He doesn’t kill people, and he only uses corpses that he purchases from the families of the deceased. In keeping with his faith in Urgathoa, he sees these “rebirths” as a gift, and is unlikely to react well to any suggestions to the contrary.

I understand some of you may find his occupation and methods distasteful, but please keep the larger mission in mind and avoid causing any diplomatic incidents.

Sincerely,
Sheila Heidmarch

The rest of the characters may describe/present themselves. You may shop and prepare spells before heading to get teleported away if you wish, but for the looks of it you will be given further instructions when you get there. Kaer Maga is a small city so you shouldn't have much trouble finding supplies there. Please state when you are ready to leave so we can proceed with the teleporting away. :)

The Concordance

N m Samsaran | Shaman (Speaker/Past) 6 | HP 45/45 | AC 16, t12, ff14 | F +5, R +6, W +11 | Init +7 | Perc +14 (low-light) | Stealth +3 | speed 30' | Spells: Cantrips/4, 1st/4, 2nd/4, 3rd/3| Lifebound | Active Conditions: ---

"Kaer Maga, you say?" Shamus says with a bit of surprise.
He reads the letter.
"Yes, good luck indeed. Thank you for delivering the letter, miss. It would appear that I need to gather my equipment and get ready to leave." he offers a warm smile to the half-orc woman before taking his leave to prepare for the excursion.

-----------------------

A figure of time itself, an elderly man graced with sky-blue skin and wisps of ethereal white hair enters the room. Draped in a light brown bathrobe with darkleaf armor underneath, he shuffles forth in comfy fleece-lined slippers.
"Shamus, at your service. The pleasure of meeting each and every one of you is mine to claim," he affirms, his nod a gesture of respect to each person in turn.
He leans on a well-worn cane capped at the end by an iron ball festooned with small spikes. Hanging from his hip is a light crossbow, adorned with intricate nautical engravings, while an adventurer's pack drapes comfortably over his back.
"So then, where might our collective path lead us?" he inquires, his tone a blend of curiosity and readiness.

Dark Archive

Human Sneaky Dagger Throwing Pharasman Cultist 7:
Unchained Rogue (sylvan trickster) 3 / Warpriest (cult leader) 4
| HP 52/52 | AC 20 / 16T / 15FF | Fort +9, Reflex +11, Will +9 (+2 vs illusion) | CMD 22 / 17FF | Init +6 | Perc +19* | SM +12* | Speed 30' | Spells 1st 4/4, 2nd 2/2 | Blessings 5/5, Fervor 4/4 | Active Conditions: alchemical grease, antitoxin, align weapon (law)

The pale, slightly built, varisian takes the letter and nods in the direction of the half-orc... "Thankyou." he says in an accent which clearly betrays his Ustalavi origins.

Reading the letter his face becomes rather grim... "Sheila certainly has an interesting sense of humor..." he mutters to himself, tucking the holy symbol of Pharasma he wears somewhere less conspicuous. "...this will certainly make for an interesting challenge..."

He turns to the rest of the party with a polite, if somewhat formal bow "Apologies I've not introduced myself... I am Radu, an agent of the Lady of Graves... it is a pleasure to meet you."

Just need to quickly sort out my spells and then I'm ready to go.

Scarab Sages

Male Human (Garundi) #43870-5 | Investigator 6| HP 51/51 | Init +1 | AC: 16 T:11 FF:18 | F: +4 (+4 vs Poison), R: +6 W: +7 (+1 Trans)|+1 Adam. Stinging Whip +7(1d3+2) | Perception +11 | Diplo +9 | UMD +13 | Sense Motive +14 | Spellcraft +10 |DD +12
Active:
Darkvision 6h, Barkskin 1h, Longstrider 1h

A dark-skinned Garundi male reads the letter carefuly..

"Yes, well. Let me see what I can recall of the Duskwardens"

Las was covered in a loose white cotton. A metal whip hung at his side, next to a shortsword and a light crossbow. On his back was a familiar looking haversack.

K. Local check on Duskwardens?

K. Local wFree Insp: 1d20 + 10 + 1d6 ⇒ (13) + 10 + (6) = 29

Grand Lodge

Male Human Swashbuckler(rondelero)7 HP 67 AC 27, T 19; FF 18, F +7, R +13, W +9, Init +7(+9), Perc +11

Patros raises an eyebrow when he realizes there is a Pharasmin among the group.

I hope this doesn't cause a conflict of faith for you, Radu. I am no fan of the undead...but if this Horus can be of use to the Society...well, he will be a cog in the wheel...

adding +1 to my cloak for +2 total and getting 2 scrolls lesser restoration..3300 gp total

Dark Archive

Human Sneaky Dagger Throwing Pharasman Cultist 7:
Unchained Rogue (sylvan trickster) 3 / Warpriest (cult leader) 4
| HP 52/52 | AC 20 / 16T / 15FF | Fort +9, Reflex +11, Will +9 (+2 vs illusion) | CMD 22 / 17FF | Init +6 | Perc +19* | SM +12* | Speed 30' | Spells 1st 4/4, 2nd 2/2 | Blessings 5/5, Fervor 4/4 | Active Conditions: alchemical grease, antitoxin, align weapon (law)

"It sometimes pays to be pragmatic in my line of work, even if the task required is distasteful."

"That said, It's probably be best if I'm not the groups spokesperson when dealing with this individual, given our likely theological disagreements and views on his blasphemous creations..."

"Not that I'm much of a diplomat in the first place, but in this case doubly so..."

Radu is all set and ready to go.

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Gunslinger [Myst.Stranger] 5/Oracle 2 hp 32/51 | AC 20/t15/ff16 CMD 22, 23 vs. disarm | Fort 5, Ref 8, Will 6 +1 vs charm,compulsion| Init +6 | Spd 20 ft. (med. load) | Perception +9 | Grit pts 2/3

Jaakko tries to recall what he knows of Kaer Maga in general.

Knowledge (history): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21

Liberty's Edge

She/Her Human

Las Lajas K.Local on Duskwardens

Spoiler:

The Duskwardens are a group of urban rangers and warriors charged with keeping the Varisian city of Kaer Maga safe from the subterranean menaces beneath its surface.

Beneath the streets of Kaer Maga lies the Undercity, a huge complex of natural and artificial tunnels extending deep into the Storval Rise (and perhaps further). Everyone in Kaer Maga maintains a healthy fear of the deeper levels, for they know that those who travel too often or too far beneath the surface return with tales of unspeakable horror—if they return at all.

The Duskwarden's primary mission is the defense of the city from what lies beneath its streets; all other duties are secondary. However, the Duskwardens have also taken on the mission of exploring and mapping the Undercity, in furtherance of its mission to prevent further incursion from below.

The Duskwardens' mission to protect Kaer Maga extends also to the Halflight Path, a complex of tunnels, caverns and dungeons leading up from the Twisted Door at the foot of the Storval Rise to the city at the top. They guide travelers safely along the Halflight Path, one of the few routes into the city.

Jaakko's K. History on Kaer Maga

Spoiler:

The 80ft tall stone ring of Kaer Maga is incredibly ancient. It even predates the Empire of Thassilon. It stretches more than a half mile in diameter and topped with towers of every shape and design. The fall of the Starstone broke one of the city's monumental walls but, even then, it weathered well the Age of Darkness. It is said that the original mysterious inhabitants of the city created the maze of tunnels and vaults in preparation to flee to safety from Earthfall.

Kaer Maga has served as a refuge for exiles, misfits, and ne'er-do-wells fleeing persecution and prosecution for thousands of years, and is known throughout Golarion as a place where anyone can fit in, and where anything can be bought and sold.

The Concordance

N m Samsaran | Shaman (Speaker/Past) 6 | HP 45/45 | AC 16, t12, ff14 | F +5, R +6, W +11 | Init +7 | Perc +14 (low-light) | Stealth +3 | speed 30' | Spells: Cantrips/4, 1st/4, 2nd/4, 3rd/3| Lifebound | Active Conditions: ---

"This Horus fellow and his 'twice-born' seems quite interesting indeed."

"I may know a little something about Kaer Maga. I'll ask around in the library and check some books."
Shamus heads to the Grand Lodge library and asks any Pathfinders around if they know of anything about Kaer Maga. He also inquires with any librarians and asks if they have any books about Kaer Maga.

Diplomacy to gather info: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20

Knowledge (history): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11
He got very sidetracked in the library and discovered a campy romance novel. After the first few chapters he suddenly remembered that he needed to be up with his teammates in the office. He slams the book shut and hustles back up to meet them.

"I didn't find anything interesting regarding the history of Kaer Maga." he says sheepishly.

Liberty's Edge

Redelia's PFS1 3-06 Song of the Sea Witch Lucky Number: 13 Male CN Dwarf Barbarian (Invulnerable Rager) 5 | HP 55/55 (70/70) DR 2/- | AC 17 T 13 FF 14 | CMB +9, CMD 22 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +2 (+2 vs. Poison/Spells/Spell-like Abilities) | Init +5 | Perc +13 | SM +0 | Speed 30ft

A dwarf with black hair and pale skin wearing hide armor and carrying a very long hammer of fine dwarven craftsmanship approaches the group just seconds before the letter is delivered. He nods at everyone and introduces himself briefly.

"My name is Dimak Doomhammer."

He stays silent while the message is delivered, but comments afterwards.

"Well, as long as the undead don't attack us I will leave them alone. But if they bother us, they will be answered with a hammer to the face! Hahaha!"

Liberty's Edge

Redelia's PFS1 3-06 Song of the Sea Witch Lucky Number: 13 Male CN Dwarf Barbarian (Invulnerable Rager) 5 | HP 55/55 (70/70) DR 2/- | AC 17 T 13 FF 14 | CMB +9, CMD 22 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +2 (+2 vs. Poison/Spells/Spell-like Abilities) | Init +5 | Perc +13 | SM +0 | Speed 30ft

Diplomacy: 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (1) - 2 = -1

LOL. I'm just glad I got that nat. 1 out of the way now - and not later in battle... ;-)

Dimak doesn't geather any new information, but he gets told off a lot. His rude attempts (e.g. "Hey, you there! Yeah, you in the blue robes! Tell me all you know about Kaer Maga!") might have something to do with it...

Scarab Sages

Male Human (Garundi) #43870-5 | Investigator 6| HP 51/51 | Init +1 | AC: 16 T:11 FF:18 | F: +4 (+4 vs Poison), R: +6 W: +7 (+1 Trans)|+1 Adam. Stinging Whip +7(1d3+2) | Perception +11 | Diplo +9 | UMD +13 | Sense Motive +14 | Spellcraft +10 |DD +12
Active:
Darkvision 6h, Barkskin 1h, Longstrider 1h

Oh, there are plenty more Nat 1's where that came from. Don't you worry.

Liberty's Edge

She/Her Human

Indeed, Shamus doesn't find anything new beyond what Jaakko and Las Lajas have already remembered about the place.

Once your shopping is done, you head out to the designated place for the teleport. You are ushered inside a townhouse by a mage, an old half-elf woman who seems quite busy today. She orders you to make sure you don’t leave any bags (she wont make second trips!) and that you are all holding hands before she casts the spell.

A flash and a blink later, you are standing just outside Kaer Maga's walls, on the plateau that allows the city to tower over the surrounding landscape.

The vista is impressive. You are a top the Storval Plateau, and the varisian lowlands extend before you to the south. Standing on one of the highest spots of the Storval Rise, you can see the city of Kaer Maga is built inside the ruins of an ancient fortress: a six-sided ring of 80-foot-high seamless stone, stretching more than a half mile in diameter and topped with towers of every shape and design. Water streams cascade thousands of feet to the valley below from the jaws of great skulls on the southern face of the city.

The rocky bluffs of the cliff are unclimbable by all but the most daring, leading those who seek passage out of the ‘civilized lands’ to ascend carefully along the legendary Halflight Path that has an entrance at the base of the rise.

This is a formidable sight and a great opportunity for some chatter among comrades as you approach the city if you wish so.

The Concordance

N m Samsaran | Shaman (Speaker/Past) 6 | HP 45/45 | AC 16, t12, ff14 | F +5, R +6, W +11 | Init +7 | Perc +14 (low-light) | Stealth +3 | speed 30' | Spells: Cantrips/4, 1st/4, 2nd/4, 3rd/3| Lifebound | Active Conditions: ---

Atop the plateau, Shamus gathers his senses after being teleported. He gazes in awe at the formidable city sprawling before him.

"I've heard this is a wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be careful."

Liberty's Edge

Redelia's PFS1 3-06 Song of the Sea Witch Lucky Number: 13 Male CN Dwarf Barbarian (Invulnerable Rager) 5 | HP 55/55 (70/70) DR 2/- | AC 17 T 13 FF 14 | CMB +9, CMD 22 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +2 (+2 vs. Poison/Spells/Spell-like Abilities) | Init +5 | Perc +13 | SM +0 | Speed 30ft

Dimak is already starting to walk towards the city when he hears Shamus' warning. He stops, turns around and answers with a grin:

"A wretched hive of scum and villainy?
Bah, that's nothing my hammer can't handle - you'll see!
HAHAHAHA!"

Pleased with himself for cracking a - in his opinion - great joke to lighten the mood, he starts walking towards the city again.

Scarab Sages

Male Human (Garundi) #43870-5 | Investigator 6| HP 51/51 | Init +1 | AC: 16 T:11 FF:18 | F: +4 (+4 vs Poison), R: +6 W: +7 (+1 Trans)|+1 Adam. Stinging Whip +7(1d3+2) | Perception +11 | Diplo +9 | UMD +13 | Sense Motive +14 | Spellcraft +10 |DD +12
Active:
Darkvision 6h, Barkskin 1h, Longstrider 1h

Okay, if we are cross contaminating...

"Just remember, Diplomacy can have a strong influence on the weak-minded"

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Gunslinger [Myst.Stranger] 5/Oracle 2 hp 32/51 | AC 20/t15/ff16 CMD 22, 23 vs. disarm | Fort 5, Ref 8, Will 6 +1 vs charm,compulsion| Init +6 | Spd 20 ft. (med. load) | Perception +9 | Grit pts 2/3

"At this point of our Pathfinder careers, we all have dealt with scum before. Most likely nothing worse than pickpockets will come across." Jaakko smiles confidently

Grand Lodge

Male Human Swashbuckler(rondelero)7 HP 67 AC 27, T 19; FF 18, F +7, R +13, W +9, Init +7(+9), Perc +11

Aye..sometimes you can just wave you hand and the simple fools will let you by... the young Taldan says with a chuckle.

But a big stick is a great tool to use as well...

Liberty's Edge

She/Her Human

As you approach the city itself, your path leads you through an open-air marketplace known as the Meatgate. Stalls and makeshift stands line these lanes, their wares displayed on wooden tables and hanging hooks. The scent of raw meat permeates the air, mingling with the pungent aroma of spices and smoke.

Poor farmers, hailing from the surrounding countryside in the lowlands, eagerly peddle their goods to passersby. The occasional splash of water catches your attention as butchers clean their tools or wash away the remnants of their trade, the liquid mingling with the dirt and creating smelly puddles you rather avoid.

A few minutes later, you find yourself at the threshold of the city's defenses—the Gap. A massive hole, wrought by an ancient catastrophe, mars the once-imposing walls of Kaer Maga. Here, you are greeted by a lively gathering of guides, porters, and runners, eyeing new arrivals. They notice you have the look of seasoned adventurers and are eager to offer you their services to show you around the city.

“My friends! Pick me and I can show you around safely and I’ll take you to the best spots for food, entertainment and rest! Only 10 gold pieces per day!”

Asking among them, they all seem to have set their fee at the same rate for you. What do you do?

You may hire a local guide if you want while you are in the city area. You may also try to haggle to lower the price with a Diplomacy check.

The Concordance

N m Samsaran | Shaman (Speaker/Past) 6 | HP 45/45 | AC 16, t12, ff14 | F +5, R +6, W +11 | Init +7 | Perc +14 (low-light) | Stealth +3 | speed 30' | Spells: Cantrips/4, 1st/4, 2nd/4, 3rd/3| Lifebound | Active Conditions: ---

Shamus puts up a dismissive hand.
"One moment, my friend." he says politely to the guide.
"Let me confer with my friends."
Shamus huddles with his group and asks if they wish to hire a guide.
"We do have a map. I don't think it's necessary to hire a guide."

We do have a good mix of social & survival/travel skills among all of us. It's up to you all if we should hire a guide.

Shamus looks up from the group and calls out to the guide.
"You said 10 crowns, correct? Would you be willing to cut that down to 5, my good lad (or lass)?"
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27

Liberty's Edge

She/Her Human

The guides also confer among them, pointing at one of them and motioning a human woman towards you.

"5 golden crowns will do for me. I'm afraid that's as low as we can offer our services," she has brown hair in a half-ponytail faint and a scar traces the curve of her cheek. "My name is Reena, at your service, if you wish so," she gives you a respectful bow. She does have a personable air to her. "Do we have a deal?"

Scarab Sages

Male Human (Garundi) #43870-5 | Investigator 6| HP 51/51 | Init +1 | AC: 16 T:11 FF:18 | F: +4 (+4 vs Poison), R: +6 W: +7 (+1 Trans)|+1 Adam. Stinging Whip +7(1d3+2) | Perception +11 | Diplo +9 | UMD +13 | Sense Motive +14 | Spellcraft +10 |DD +12
Active:
Darkvision 6h, Barkskin 1h, Longstrider 1h

Las attempts to determine if this guide has any ulterior motives.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (19) + 14 = 33

"Where are you from and how do you find yourself working as a guide?"

Liberty's Edge

She/Her Human

"Well, I was born here, so I know the safest routes around the city from a young age, and who to avoid... I started in the business as one of the many kids that will likely mob you for a coin through the Warrens," she chuckles. "I was this tall when convinced my first group I could get them through the city with their belongings intact. Never lost a tourist either. I know who's who in every district so I can also put good word for you."

She seems to be at ease at your questioning. She appears to be honest about her background and intentions.

Liberty's Edge

Redelia's PFS1 3-06 Song of the Sea Witch Lucky Number: 13 Male CN Dwarf Barbarian (Invulnerable Rager) 5 | HP 55/55 (70/70) DR 2/- | AC 17 T 13 FF 14 | CMB +9, CMD 22 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +2 (+2 vs. Poison/Spells/Spell-like Abilities) | Init +5 | Perc +13 | SM +0 | Speed 30ft

Dimak listens carefully to the wannabe guide.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (20) + 0 = 20

LOL again. Now I'm sad I got that nat. 20 now - and not later in battle... :-/

"She sounds honest. I think we should hire her."

Grand Lodge

Male Human Swashbuckler(rondelero)7 HP 67 AC 27, T 19; FF 18, F +7, R +13, W +9, Init +7(+9), Perc +11

Five gold is a fair price I think...here...and there's more in it for you if you show us the best place to buy wine here...my stock is running low back home... Patros says with a grin as he fishes out the coins and hands it to her.

I'm Patros...

Liberty's Edge

Redelia's PFS1 3-06 Song of the Sea Witch Lucky Number: 13 Male CN Dwarf Barbarian (Invulnerable Rager) 5 | HP 55/55 (70/70) DR 2/- | AC 17 T 13 FF 14 | CMB +9, CMD 22 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +2 (+2 vs. Poison/Spells/Spell-like Abilities) | Init +5 | Perc +13 | SM +0 | Speed 30ft
Patros Therinor wrote:
(...) and there's more in it for you if you show us the best place to buy wine here (...)

Dimak interrupts: "Or dwarven ale! Do you know a place where they serve Bugman's Best?" ;-P

The Concordance

N m Samsaran | Shaman (Speaker/Past) 6 | HP 45/45 | AC 16, t12, ff14 | F +5, R +6, W +11 | Init +7 | Perc +14 (low-light) | Stealth +3 | speed 30' | Spells: Cantrips/4, 1st/4, 2nd/4, 3rd/3| Lifebound | Active Conditions: ---

With a change of heart regarding the guide, Shamus addresses his companions.

"On second thought, I don't mind contributing a gold piece or two for a guide. These folk must earn a living somehow. It would weigh heavily on me to think we declined the girl, only to see her poor and destitute later on."

Liberty's Edge

She/Her Human

As soon as you have made your pick, the rest of the prospects move on to the next group of visitors and merchants arriving to the city. She receives the money with a flourish bow.

"Sure thing boss. Depends on the quality of wine you want," she then turns to Dimak with a thoughtful expression. "Well, I don't know Bugman's Best but if it is a dwarven ale, The Bloodbrother's tavern at the core of the city MUST have it. It's run by a dwarf. A rough place, but the best for authentic dwarven spirits. I have the feeling it might be your style."

She crosses her arms and rubs her chin thinking out the safest and fastest route. "Okay, so wine and dwarven ales. Mmmh... Are you celebrating the end of some big adventure? Anything else you might want to do? We got dance halls, gambling, all the brothels you can imagine... you won't find a Temple of Calistra like this one anywhere else in Golarion, I can assure you that much!"

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Gunslinger [Myst.Stranger] 5/Oracle 2 hp 32/51 | AC 20/t15/ff16 CMD 22, 23 vs. disarm | Fort 5, Ref 8, Will 6 +1 vs charm,compulsion| Init +6 | Spd 20 ft. (med. load) | Perception +9 | Grit pts 2/3

"Of cource we can afford five gold. It'll be well worth it, when we don't have to mop horde of thugs."

Grand Lodge

Male Human Swashbuckler(rondelero)7 HP 67 AC 27, T 19; FF 18, F +7, R +13, W +9, Init +7(+9), Perc +11

Rough bars? Sounds like home with my brothers and cousins. We didn't start many fights...but we did finish all of them. I think if someone sees Dimak enter a tavern, they'll think twice before starting something...

Dark Archive

Human Sneaky Dagger Throwing Pharasman Cultist 7:
Unchained Rogue (sylvan trickster) 3 / Warpriest (cult leader) 4
| HP 52/52 | AC 20 / 16T / 15FF | Fort +9, Reflex +11, Will +9 (+2 vs illusion) | CMD 22 / 17FF | Init +6 | Perc +19* | SM +12* | Speed 30' | Spells 1st 4/4, 2nd 2/2 | Blessings 5/5, Fervor 4/4 | Active Conditions: alchemical grease, antitoxin, align weapon (law)

"Much as it pains me to say it..." interjects Radu "...but we also have business with Horus Ilaktya in Ankar-Te."

Liberty's Edge

She/Her Human

Reena was starting to make a small list on a tiny notebook as a touring schedule, when she hears the name Horus Ilaktya and her head snaps back to attention and straightens.

"You came to talk with Ilaktya?" she asks with surprise and caution. "Do you have a set appointment? Is he expecting you? If so, we better get going then, just to make sure he's not kept waiting. He appreciates people being on time... "

"I know the fastest route to his place," she puts away the notebook and seems ready to lead them.

Dark Archive

Human Sneaky Dagger Throwing Pharasman Cultist 7:
Unchained Rogue (sylvan trickster) 3 / Warpriest (cult leader) 4
| HP 52/52 | AC 20 / 16T / 15FF | Fort +9, Reflex +11, Will +9 (+2 vs illusion) | CMD 22 / 17FF | Init +6 | Perc +19* | SM +12* | Speed 30' | Spells 1st 4/4, 2nd 2/2 | Blessings 5/5, Fervor 4/4 | Active Conditions: alchemical grease, antitoxin, align weapon (law)

"He has requested our assistance, however we don't yet have a specific appointment." notes the pale Varisian.

"But don't loose those notes, I suspect we will all need a drink after this!"

Liberty's Edge

She/Her Human

She nods to Radu. "You got it, Boss!"

Crossing through the Gap, you step into the Warren district, where the weight of poverty hangs heavy in the air. The name "Warren" seems apt, as a labyrinth of makeshift shanties and ramshackle structures stretches before you. The inhabitants of this impoverished community have ingeniously pieced together their dwellings using meager resources, creating a patchwork of wood, tattered cloth, and salvaged materials.

These residents pay little attention to the group.

Sense Motive DC 21

Spoiler:
You can tell that many of the people are on edge in general.

Soon, the transition between the Warren and the rest of the city is stark. Everywhere else, Kaer Maga's thick walls are in good repair. All of the city's districts except the Warren are situated in a multilevel complex of massive, vaulted chambers, cast in perpetual twilight lit by a kaleidoscope of shimmering lamps.

Even by the standards of Kaer Maga as a whole, Ankar-Te is a district known for accepting all manner of beliefs and philosophies that rarely appear in polite society. Mindless undead servants are a common sight in its streets. A perpetual fog of incense covers any odor that may otherwise emanate from the flesh of the working zombie hordes.

Arriving in Ankar-Te, you have no trouble finding the Last Rites with the help of your guide.

"I'll wait for you outside," Reena says.

The interior of the shop named Last Rites has far from the somber appearance its name suggests. Fresh-cut flowers stand in vases throughout the room, filling the air with a pleasant fragrance. The walls are painted light green, and multiple still life paintings hang in gilded frames from the walls.

A tall, thin, middle-aged man stands near a long marble table in the center of the room. He smiles and gestures at the finely crafted mahogany chairs around the table before settling himself into the one at the end. He then picks up a tiny bell and rings it.

At the far end of the room, a door opens and a figure dressed as a servant enters, carrying a tray. The figure's movements are stiff, and its eyes stare straight ahead as it sets a tray with a decanter of deep red wine and several glasses down gently. The creature then turns and leaves the room.

Knowledge (religion) check DC 5

Spoiler:
you recognize that the servant is an unusually well-preserved zombie.

Dark Archive

Human Sneaky Dagger Throwing Pharasman Cultist 7:
Unchained Rogue (sylvan trickster) 3 / Warpriest (cult leader) 4
| HP 52/52 | AC 20 / 16T / 15FF | Fort +9, Reflex +11, Will +9 (+2 vs illusion) | CMD 22 / 17FF | Init +6 | Perc +19* | SM +12* | Speed 30' | Spells 1st 4/4, 2nd 2/2 | Blessings 5/5, Fervor 4/4 | Active Conditions: alchemical grease, antitoxin, align weapon (law)

Sense Motive (+2 vs devils): 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (15) + 11 = 26

"Something is spooking these people, they seem on edge." whispers Radu as the party traverse the Warren.

Before they enter Ankar-Te he ensures that his holy symbol is well hidden and lurks near the back to avoid unnecessary attention.

Knowledge (religion): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13

The Concordance

N m Samsaran | Shaman (Speaker/Past) 6 | HP 45/45 | AC 16, t12, ff14 | F +5, R +6, W +11 | Init +7 | Perc +14 (low-light) | Stealth +3 | speed 30' | Spells: Cantrips/4, 1st/4, 2nd/4, 3rd/3| Lifebound | Active Conditions: ---

"Good day, mister Ilaktya..."
Shamus pauses after hearing the small bell ring.

Taking a seat, he suddenly reels in shock at the sight (and smell) of the undead servant. Regaining his composure, he stares in awe as the zombie delicately pours glasses of wine.
"Good heavens! What does one of those cost?” he inquires, subtlety pointing at the zombie.
"I should look into getting one for myself. Luggage and equipment gets heavy after hauling it around all day."

Definitely picking up the Porter vanity but reskinning it to a zombie, lol!

"Anyway, my good sir, we are here to investigate the problem you are having. If you could fill us in with as much detail as possible, we would be pleased to assist."

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Gunslinger [Myst.Stranger] 5/Oracle 2 hp 32/51 | AC 20/t15/ff16 CMD 22, 23 vs. disarm | Fort 5, Ref 8, Will 6 +1 vs charm,compulsion| Init +6 | Spd 20 ft. (med. load) | Perception +9 | Grit pts 2/3

Jaakko is clearly feeling uncomfortable at presence of undead and the thought of samsaran man acquiring one for himself seems revolting to him "You'd have to at least buy incense to cover its stench or else we will part ways." he mutters

Liberty's Edge

Redelia's PFS1 3-06 Song of the Sea Witch Lucky Number: 13 Male CN Dwarf Barbarian (Invulnerable Rager) 5 | HP 55/55 (70/70) DR 2/- | AC 17 T 13 FF 14 | CMB +9, CMD 22 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +2 (+2 vs. Poison/Spells/Spell-like Abilities) | Init +5 | Perc +13 | SM +0 | Speed 30ft
soulnova wrote:
"Well, I don't know Bugman's Best but if it is a dwarven ale, The Bloodbrother's tavern at the core of the city MUST have it. It's run by a dwarf. A rough place, but the best for authentic dwarven spirits. I have the feeling it might be your style."

Dimak starts to smile brightly.

"A tavern run by a dwarf? Sounds wonderful to me!"

Liberty's Edge

Redelia's PFS1 3-06 Song of the Sea Witch Lucky Number: 13 Male CN Dwarf Barbarian (Invulnerable Rager) 5 | HP 55/55 (70/70) DR 2/- | AC 17 T 13 FF 14 | CMB +9, CMD 22 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +2 (+2 vs. Poison/Spells/Spell-like Abilities) | Init +5 | Perc +13 | SM +0 | Speed 30ft

take 10 for a result of 10 on knowledge (religion)

"Thank you, Mr. Zombie." Dimak empties his glass of wine quickly. "Aaaahhhh. That's better!" He then tries to listen and not interrupt the probably important conversation.

The Concordance

1 person marked this as a favorite.
N m Samsaran | Shaman (Speaker/Past) 6 | HP 45/45 | AC 16, t12, ff14 | F +5, R +6, W +11 | Init +7 | Perc +14 (low-light) | Stealth +3 | speed 30' | Spells: Cantrips/4, 1st/4, 2nd/4, 3rd/3| Lifebound | Active Conditions: ---
Jaakko Varpunen wrote:
"You'd have to at least buy incense to cover its stench or else we will part ways." he mutters.

Shamus leans in to whisper, "Prestij... presjiddit..." Shamus sighs as he tries to pronounce the word.

"Prestidigitation, my good lad. It can make the creature exude the floral scent of a Taldan countess." he winks with a smile.

Not wanting to be impolite, he then turns his attention back to his host and waits for Ilaktya to speak.

Grand Lodge

Male Human Swashbuckler(rondelero)7 HP 67 AC 27, T 19; FF 18, F +7, R +13, W +9, Init +7(+9), Perc +11

Patros gladly takes the offered drink and looks around the place.

I know a few countesses from back home...one smelled of a stable...but that's due to her family being famous horse breeders. Patros says with a chuckle

Scarab Sages

Male Human (Garundi) #43870-5 | Investigator 6| HP 51/51 | Init +1 | AC: 16 T:11 FF:18 | F: +4 (+4 vs Poison), R: +6 W: +7 (+1 Trans)|+1 Adam. Stinging Whip +7(1d3+2) | Perception +11 | Diplo +9 | UMD +13 | Sense Motive +14 | Spellcraft +10 |DD +12
Active:
Darkvision 6h, Barkskin 1h, Longstrider 1h

Along the way, Las darts into a wand shop and picks up a longstrider wand.
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (3) + 14 = 17

Las shrugs. "Locals seems fine to me."

Before entering, Las hits himself with a dose of his new wand.

Use Magic Device wFree Insp: 1d20 + 13 + 1d6 ⇒ (6) + 13 + (5) = 24

RK religion (Take 10): 10 + 10 = 20

Las raises an eyebrow a the servant, but otherwise remains calm.

Liberty's Edge

She/Her Human

"Pathfinders!" says the man at the table, as he offers the wine. "How pleasant that you could come. I am Horus Ilaktya, owner of this establishment and a leader of the Ankar-Te district. Your Venture-Captain—that is the correct term, yes?—Sheila Heidmarch promised to send some of her most capable agents. I am sure I will be pleased with what you have to offer. But on to business."

"I would like you to investigate a problem in my district. Just the other day, I began to hear reports of property damage in the district, but I have not had time to investigate these reports myself. I thought I'd leave it up to you to determine the cause of this damage and eliminate any threat to Ankar-Te's well-being, even should it take you beneath the city and into the vaults."

"See what you can find in the streets. I'd also recommend talking to the Augurs. Their command of prophecy is quite impressive. When you have dealt with the threat, return to me, and we will discuss your findings."

He chuckles with approval at Shamus. "While this one is my personal servant, perhaps we can go over the catalogue after this is done for one that better fits your budget. I am happy to see this openness with the Pathfinders."

Horus is willing to answer questions.

Any idea of what the damage is?

Spoiler:
"I've heard multiple stories. Some of them claim entire buildings have collapsed, while others say it was only a few walls. I'm not asking you to make a full appraisal of the extent of the damage. I don't need your expertise for that. Focus your efforts on making sure it doesn't happen again.

Where do you recommend we begin?

Spoiler:
"Talk to people on the streets and in the shops. If you run into much resistance, just mention my name. That should clear up any confusion."

Do you suspect the vaults?

Spoiler:
"Oh, it certainly could be related to them. Most of the truly significant problems in this city connect to the vaults in one way or another. If you mention you're working for me and have an idea where you're going, the Duskwardens will certainly aid you."

Who are the Augurs?

Spoiler:
"They are a group of troll prophets with quite a fascinating way of reading the future. It's not an experience a newcomer will soon forget." Horus chuckles with a mischievous grin.

"Anything else you would like to ask?"

=====================

Some of this information you had already recalled earlier, here's an extra if using K.Local or Gather Information.

10+:

Spoiler:
Kaer Maga is a massive ring of stone unbroken except in one place: the Warren. Some unknown calamity appears to have blown an enormous hole in the city's ring there. Otherwise, the majority of the city is housed within the ring's multileveled honeycomb of lantern-lit chambers and caverns.

15+:
Spoiler:
The Warren is home to the poorest residents of Kaer Maga but also serves as the natural main entrance to the city for locals and visitors alike.

20+:
Spoiler:
Kaer Maga's government is decentralized. A collection of powerful factions controls various portions of the city. The Ardoc family of golem-crafters controls the Bis district, famed for its balconies lining the walls. The Ankar-Te district is known for its many undead servants and treats Horus Ilaktya as its de facto leader. A newer faction, the Freemen, is led by Halman Wright and operates out of the Bottoms, a stronghold of democracy. A group of peaceful trolls lives in the city, many of them skilled in augury. The Duskwardens patrol the tunnels underneath the city, where they strive to keep nosy visitors out of the vaults and creatures in the vaults from getting out.

25+:
Spoiler:
Those who want to know anything worth knowing in Kaer Maga talk to the residents of the Warren, for despite their low status, they know a great deal of what's happening in the city.

Same with Knowledge Arcana or History
10+:

Spoiler:
The city of Kaer Maga was here before the Thassilonian empire even began.

15+:
Spoiler:
The very first Runelord of Greed used Kaer Maga as a prison for his enemies.

20+:
Spoiler:
When he first took control of the city, the first Runelord of Greed made a deal with the caulborn, a mysterious race of prophets and record-keepers residing in the city. They agreed to become wardens and historians of the city.

25+:
Spoiler:
After millennia of service, the caulborn predicted the arrival of the Starstone and fled deep beneath the surface to escape.

30+:
Spoiler:
The caulborn carved out a series of caverns, passages, and even a city far beneath Kaer Maga. The caulborn used some of these places as homes and others as storage vaults for their many treasures.

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Gunslinger [Myst.Stranger] 5/Oracle 2 hp 32/51 | AC 20/t15/ff16 CMD 22, 23 vs. disarm | Fort 5, Ref 8, Will 6 +1 vs charm,compulsion| Init +6 | Spd 20 ft. (med. load) | Perception +9 | Grit pts 2/3

"Right, we will start by talking to locals, possibly even augurs and last thing is to explore the vaults." Jaakko recalls some historic knowledge of the city. "First runelord of greed used this place as prison. He made a deal with caulborn, race of prophets, who became wardens and historians of the city."

knowledge (local): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8
knowledge (history): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20

Liberty's Edge

She/Her Human

Horus nods to Jaakko in approval. "That sounds like an acceptable plan. When you figure out which of the vaults is the source of the problem, you'll need the permission of the Duskwardens to explore it. They might guide you there even. I would hate to tell Sheila that her Pathfinders got lost in a maze of tunnels never to be heard of again," he teases half-jokingly.

Dark Archive

Human Sneaky Dagger Throwing Pharasman Cultist 7:
Unchained Rogue (sylvan trickster) 3 / Warpriest (cult leader) 4
| HP 52/52 | AC 20 / 16T / 15FF | Fort +9, Reflex +11, Will +9 (+2 vs illusion) | CMD 22 / 17FF | Init +6 | Perc +19* | SM +12* | Speed 30' | Spells 1st 4/4, 2nd 2/2 | Blessings 5/5, Fervor 4/4 | Active Conditions: alchemical grease, antitoxin, align weapon (law)

Knowledge (local): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7

Radu is sure there is some useful information he should be able to recall but, he can't quite think what it is.

The Concordance

N m Samsaran | Shaman (Speaker/Past) 6 | HP 45/45 | AC 16, t12, ff14 | F +5, R +6, W +11 | Init +7 | Perc +14 (low-light) | Stealth +3 | speed 30' | Spells: Cantrips/4, 1st/4, 2nd/4, 3rd/3| Lifebound | Active Conditions: ---

"Right, then. Speak with the locals. These troll augers you speak of sound fascinating."

"Well, I don't have any more questions. It will be nice speaking to the locals. I may pick up a few more supplies from the shops while doing so."

"I look forward to doing business with you once our mission is complete. To have an undead servant of my own. Ha! Remarkable."

I will purchase the porter vanity, however, I'll do it after (hopefully) receiving the chronicle sheet from this scenario.

1 to 50 of 415 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / [PFS1][Gameday XII] PFS1e #9-09: Beyond the Halflight Path (STANDARD) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.