GM Valen's The Burden of Envy (PbP)(June 2020)(15 Challenge Points)

Game Master Lysle

Maps & Slides


1 to 50 of 199 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>

Burden of Envy: Table 1 | Table 2

Valais Durant, the leader of the Society's Radiant Oath faction, has asked for your presence.

Horizon Hunters

Female Halfling Rogue - 4 | 42/42hp | F-8, R-13, W-10 | AC21 | Perc-9

A female halfling, dressed in formfitting black from the neck down answers the summons.

Vigilant Seal

N (female) goblin (unbreakable) ranger 1 | HP 21 | AC 17 | F +6 R +9 W +5 | Perc +7; darkvision | Stealth +7 | 25ft. | Reactions: ---

If you have +10 perception:
stealth to Hide: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20

You see a pair of goblin feet poking out from beneath a nearby tapestry.

if you have less than +10 perception:
You seem to be the only ones here.


Burden of Envy: Table 1 | Table 2

In response to a message from Valais Durant of the Radiant Oath, you have booked passage aboard the merchant vessel, The Merry Mayfly, which is now en route to a secretive rendez-vous, set to occur well-off the coast of Varisia amidst the waters of the Steaming Sea.

Welcome! Please go ahead and make/complete character introductions. Then, I will move us along to the secretive rendez-vous and the opening brief.

Vigilant Seal

N (female) goblin (unbreakable) ranger 1 | HP 21 | AC 17 | F +6 R +9 W +5 | Perc +7; darkvision | Stealth +7 | 25ft. | Reactions: ---

Make a perception check:
If you beat DC17, open the next spoiler
Spoiler:
You see a Goblin hiding behind some barrels and crates on the deck. She wears a crossbow, two bandoliers, a backpack, a short sword, small mace, and a sap.

Vigilant Seal

F Half-orc | Sorcerer 1 | HP 14/14 | AC 14 (15 with shield spell) | F +3 R +4 W +7 | Perception +5 |Spells 1st 3/3, Focus 1/1 | Hero 1/3

perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20

A tall, attractive half-orc woman dressed conservatively in purple robes enters the room. "Greetings fellow Pathfinders. I am Zaza, sometimes called "The Measure." There is a story behind that name and I'm sure I'll have plenty of time to tell it during our journey. I am a practitioner of the arts arcane, what you might call a sorceress."

Vigilant Seal

F Half-orc | Sorcerer 1 | HP 14/14 | AC 14 (15 with shield spell) | F +3 R +4 W +7 | Perception +5 |Spells 1st 3/3, Focus 1/1 | Hero 1/3

"Dan selamat petang untuk anda kawan kecil saya di antara peti."

Goblin:
And good afternoon to you my small friend amongst the crates.

Horizon Hunters

Female Halfling Rogue - 4 | 42/42hp | F-8, R-13, W-10 | AC21 | Perc-9

The black clad halfling woman was looking over the front of the rail, looking down into the Steaming Sea. She looks up as she hears goblin. which she actually understands.

perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20

Duk caraot ut. Ae peti duk aswe

goblin:
You may as well come out. I see you as well

Envoy's Alliance

CG Male Halfling (Observant) Champion(Liberator) (1)| HP 18/18 | AC 18 | F +7 R +6 W +7 | Perc +5 | Stealth +5 | speed 25ft| Active Conditions: None

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25

Evgeni walks up, his steps light with a bounce in them as if moving to the rhythm of a song. He is normal halfling height and wears a surcoat of red and green which matches the painted shield strapped to him back.

Why, hello everyone. He makes a point of not staring over toward the barrels.

Vigilant Seal

N (female) goblin (unbreakable) ranger 1 | HP 21 | AC 17 | F +6 R +9 W +5 | Perc +7; darkvision | Stealth +7 | 25ft. | Reactions: ---

Stealth check:
stealth: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21
Sneak Runt gave a very sneaky glare to the mean sorceress that have away her position... But she was so sneaky that she beat everyone's perception DCs and no one saw it

There is no response from the barrels.

Horizon Hunters

Female Halfling Rogue - 4 | 42/42hp | F-8, R-13, W-10 | AC21 | Perc-9

Hi Katrina is only a hairs breath short of 3ft tall in barefeet, but she's got boots on.

She then looks towards the half orc. Hey, Zaza. I think he or she is shy ... and I'm a circus performer specialising in acrobatics and escapes.

Vigilant Seal

F Half-orc | Sorcerer 1 | HP 14/14 | AC 14 (15 with shield spell) | F +3 R +4 W +7 | Perception +5 |Spells 1st 3/3, Focus 1/1 | Hero 1/3

"Pleased to meet you. Yes, I'm well aware of goblin shenanigans. It's how I got to Absalom after all. I spent three months escorting four rambunctious goblins from Urgrir to Absalom. A shy goblin is a new one though I must admit"

Vigilant Seal

N (female) goblin (unbreakable) ranger 1 | HP 21 | AC 17 | F +6 R +9 W +5 | Perc +7; darkvision | Stealth +7 | 25ft. | Reactions: ---

A goblin comes out from behind the barrels, sulking and glaring at the sorceress. "You give away my position! What kind of Pathfinder team mate are you, huh? HUH?!" She crosses her arms and taps her feet arrhythmically. She wears a crossbow, two bandoliers, a backpack, a short sword, small mace, and a sap.

Vigilant Seal

F Half-orc | Sorcerer 1 | HP 14/14 | AC 14 (15 with shield spell) | F +3 R +4 W +7 | Perception +5 |Spells 1st 3/3, Focus 1/1 | Hero 1/3

"Aha! Our shadow emerges! You're quite welcome to join the rest of us Ms Stealthy. And you needn't worry. You can rest assured you will have my full support in the field should you wish to remain unnoticed. In the meantime however perhaps you would care to supply us with your name and a bit about your history and abilities?"

Horizon Hunters

Female Halfling Rogue - 4 | 42/42hp | F-8, R-13, W-10 | AC21 | Perc-9

Katrina just nods. Know whatcha mean ... my girlfriend is anything BUT shy ... and that's why I love her. She grins happily. Plus she helps me practice my act ... and she loves free diving as much as I do - heck, she can stay under nearly as long as I can ... and that's saying something.

She then looks at the other goblin and steps towards her holding out a hand, while uttering a traditional goblin greeting. Aw ... so sorry ... but we wanted tae meetcha. I'm Katrina - I guess we're gonna be sneaky together.

She smiles warmly at the goblin.

Vigilant Seal

N (female) goblin (unbreakable) ranger 1 | HP 21 | AC 17 | F +6 R +9 W +5 | Perc +7; darkvision | Stealth +7 | 25ft. | Reactions: ---

Sneak Runt gives the party an appraising eye, still apparently a little mistrustful of the sorceress's promises. She finally introduces herself in a murmur "I am Sneak Runt. I strike from the shadows, and then I disappear... Back into the shadows..." as she says the last sentence she slinks behind a coil of ropes, but is obviously much less well hidden.

Stealth check:
stealth check: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13

Vigilant Seal

F Half-orc | Sorcerer 1 | HP 14/14 | AC 14 (15 with shield spell) | F +3 R +4 W +7 | Perception +5 |Spells 1st 3/3, Focus 1/1 | Hero 1/3

Zaza shakes her head and sighs.

"Shenanigans."

Horizon Hunters

Female Halfling Rogue - 4 | 42/42hp | F-8, R-13, W-10 | AC21 | Perc-9

Katrina just giggles. Leave her be. She'll come out when she's ready .. or hungry She then tossed a cream bun into the pile of rope. Here ya go.

Grand Archive

CG Strong-Blooded Dwarf Monk 2 | HP 36/36 | AC 16 (20 w/Stance) | F +9 R +6 W +8 | P + 6 | Speed 20' | Class DC 18 | Conditions:

A red-haired dwarf enters dressed in loose-fitting clothing. His arms are tightly muscles beneath his sleeves. He gives a slight bow to the others gathered. Hello, I am Guntram Falk, disciple of the Falling Stones. I look forward to working with all of you, he says in a calm voice.


Burden of Envy: Table 1 | Table 2

"Ahoy!" comes the cry from top deck, which is quickly followed by the sound of footfalls as Captain Azizo of the Merry Mayfly heads below deck to collect you.

"The Lightbringer's been spotted and she'll be comin' alongside us soon." Azizo declares. "Seems you'll be aboardin' her soon."

The human takes a quick look around the darkened cabin.

Perception: 1d20 ⇒ 6

"Wait a minute?" he pauses, quizzically. "Weren't there more of ya when we set sail? Where be the she-goblin? No matter, the rest of you will hafta do."

The human sea captain gives a shrug, before heading above deck. Shortly, thereafter, a couple of the crew of the Lightbringer arrive to escort you to the other ship.

There is the potential that we may be joined by one more, so I will wait another 24 hours before moving us to the briefing aboard the Lightbringer.

Vigilant Seal

N (female) goblin (unbreakable) ranger 1 | HP 21 | AC 17 | F +6 R +9 W +5 | Perc +7; darkvision | Stealth +7 | 25ft. | Reactions: ---

stealth check:
stealth check: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19

Katrina:
You see the goblin fall in behind the party as they go up the stairs. She finds some new barrels to hide behind once on the main deck.

Everyone else:
If you glance over your shoulder at the top of the stairs you notice the goblin is no longer "hidden" among the ropes

Horizon Hunters

Female Halfling Rogue - 4 | 42/42hp | F-8, R-13, W-10 | AC21 | Perc-9

She's here ... just practicing her stealth tactics

She follows the captain up on deck.

Envoy's Alliance

CG Male Halfling (Observant) Champion(Liberator) (1)| HP 18/18 | AC 18 | F +7 R +6 W +7 | Perc +5 | Stealth +5 | speed 25ft| Active Conditions: None

Evgeni follows along. He is not much concerned with the shenanigans of the goblin, but he is sure to speak loudly and clearly enough to be heard from wherever she is hiding.

Chaldira will bless us, I am sure and she will re-emerge and assist us at the ideal time. Oh, I forgot to meantion my name. Evgani Truthcoin.

Horizon Hunters

Female Halfling Rogue - 4 | 42/42hp | F-8, R-13, W-10 | AC21 | Perc-9

Hi ... Katrina Caldwell. Daredevil extraordinaire. Say ... if there's time on the trip, maybe I could put on a show.

Vigilant Seal

F Half-orc | Sorcerer 1 | HP 14/14 | AC 14 (15 with shield spell) | F +3 R +4 W +7 | Perception +5 |Spells 1st 3/3, Focus 1/1 | Hero 1/3

"Hmmm...A show. Well sea travel can be tedious and I'm sure we'll have plenty of time. Are you certain that the ship's movements won't throw you off-balance?"

Horizon Hunters

Female Halfling Rogue - 4 | 42/42hp | F-8, R-13, W-10 | AC21 | Perc-9

Oh .. that'll make it even more interesting Katrina replies with a grin.

Although, I don't think it'll matter much for most escapes. Wonder if they'll let me be tied to the anchor and lowered over the side? That'll make a great finale


Burden of Envy: Table 1 | Table 2
Katrina Caldwell wrote:
Although, I don't think it'll matter much for most escapes. Wonder if they'll let me be tied to the anchor and lowered over the side? That'll make a great finale

"I have another finale in mind."

The words, a woman's voice, are heard as head down the steps to the darkness of the lower decks of The Lightbringer. As you descend, the endless roll of the waves of the Steaming Sea sends the lanterns that hang from hooks overhead--the sole source of light--in constant sway. The result is a shifting dance of light and shadows. Below them, sitting at a wooden desk, is an aasimar woman--the source of the words--Valais Durant.

“I need your help for a task that requires both great risk and discretion,” begins Valais. The illumination from the swinging lanterns causes the golden markings on the woman's skin to periodically glisten and gleam. The result is the appearance of movement, like the shimmer of the scales of a passing fish as it darts through the water. As the lights sway, the face of another figure, one standing behind her, now comes into view. The revealed face is that of a green-eyed, Varisian man. He flashes a sly grin, which is framed by a thin mustache.

“This is Guaril Karela, a prominent figure among the Sczarni,” she continues. “The Sczarni maintain a smuggling ring, providing freedom to those chafing under the oppression of Belimarius, the Runelord of Envy and ruler of Edasseril. Demand for such services is high,” she pauses and casts a somewhat disdainful glare toward Guaril, “allowing the Sczarni to extract hefty sums from desperate patrons."

Pictures of Valais and Guaril are now available on Slides.

“I find the practice rather distasteful,” Valais sighs. “However, collaboration with his operations grants the Radiant Oath some measure of oversight in ensuring proper treatment of the refugees. Further, I have Guaril’s personal assurance that the Sczarni will not demand more in payment than their clients can afford.”

“Transportation’s expensive,” Guaril chimes in. “Not to mention paying off border guards and harbormasters. It’s dangerous work. Certainly, you wouldn’t expect my people to take such risk and not be properly compensated, would you? Or have you forgotten that Belimarius has placed a price on my head?”

“Not the first to do so, I’m sure.” Valais notes dryly, before continuing, “Belimarius and her minions began to suspect Guaril’s intentions the last time he was in Edasseril. Now, they seek not only his head, but those of his known associates, including those among the Pathfinder Society. It is not presently safe for them or Guaril to venture within Edasseril’s borders.”

General Map of Edasseril is now available on Slides.


Burden of Envy: Table 1 | Table 2

“I had a number of clients ready to go, before leaving Xin-Edasseril,” explains Guaril. “Most of the arrangements are already made. All you need to do is make contact with the clients. Give them the time and place for departure, then escort them out of the city—with their payment.” The Sczarni stresses.

“You’ll get a hefty cut of the payment you secure as compensation for your hard work.” assures Guaril.

The Varisian man reaches into his pocket and produces a sheet of crumpled, scrawled paper.

“I prepared a client list,” Guaril says, handing over the paper. “Memorize it. Then, tear it up, burn it, chew it, swallow it—whatever you do, get rid of it! If Belimarius gets a hold of it, it’s a death sentence for anyone named on it.”


The contents of the list are now available on Slides.


Burden of Envy: Table 1 | Table 2

As Guaril is speaking, Valais reaches into a drawer of the desk where she is sitting and produces a stack of documents bearing wax seals and ornate writing.

“You’ll be entering Xin-Edasseril disguised as merchants,” explains Valais. “These permits and papers will allow you passage in and out of the city for five days before they expire.”

She hands a sealed merchant's permit to each of you along with a set of traveling papers as she continues, “At dawn on the fourth day after your arrival in Xin-Edasseril, the ship, Rolanna’s Prayer, will arrive in a bay just outside the city: Shard Cove. The boat can accommodate five clients, providing an excellent opportunity to escape undetected. One of the clients, Flitch, knows a secret tunnel to Shard Cove."

“Once the clients are aboard ship, return to the city. Any remaining clients that you weren’t able to smuggle out by sea will have to be smuggled out of the city with you, which means you’ll have to get them past the guards at the docks." she stresses. "Your ship, The Merry Mayfly, must depart the docks once your papers have expired.”

“The clients are expecting to deal with me,” cautions Guaril. “But as that’s not possible, and as it’s now a few days past the window when I was to make contact, the clients might need some reassurance to go through with the job.”

Giving the Pathfinders a stern look, Guaril then warns, “While you’re in Belimarius’s back yard, be careful. You are foreigners in Xin-Edasseril, and Belimarius has eyes everywhere. Don’t do anything that would draw unnecessary attention to yourselves. The last thing you want to do is tangle with the authorities. The runelord’s forces are well trained and quite capable. Keep your wits about you at all times and your blades sheathed.”

“We cannot afford one of you being arrested or interrogated. Pay any bribe required to remain free. I don’t want to further expose any part of the operation,” says Valais. “Our goal here is to bring hope and freedom to as many souls as we are able. It is risky, but hope and freedom are worth the price."

Valais directly into the eyes of each of you as if laying her soul bare. "I realize I am asking much of you, but I am afraid I know of no others who may be up to the task. Still, the decision of whether to accept the mission or not is yours." The woman breathes deeply, then asks, "Do you have any questions?"

Sorry for the wall-o-text. I tried to make it more tolerable by breaking it up.

Vigilant Seal

F Half-orc | Sorcerer 1 | HP 14/14 | AC 14 (15 with shield spell) | F +3 R +4 W +7 | Perception +5 |Spells 1st 3/3, Focus 1/1 | Hero 1/3

"Will you be providing us with bribe money or any other supplies?"

Grand Archive

CG Strong-Blooded Dwarf Monk 2 | HP 36/36 | AC 16 (20 w/Stance) | F +9 R +6 W +8 | P + 6 | Speed 20' | Class DC 18 | Conditions:

Guntram listens to the briefing quietly and then nods. I will accept, of course, but do we have any way of identifying ourselves to the clients? To help in 'convincing' them?

Vigilant Seal

N (female) goblin (unbreakable) ranger 1 | HP 21 | AC 17 | F +6 R +9 W +5 | Perc +7; darkvision | Stealth +7 | 25ft. | Reactions: ---

Sneak nods sagely. "Sneaking is good. I be very sneaky. But I do not look much like merchant. Could be a problem. Also you make it sound like we not strike anyone? You sure about that? Sneak Runt strikes from the shadows!" she looks pretty skeptical by the end.


Burden of Envy: Table 1 | Table 2
Zaza the Measure wrote:
"Will you be providing us with bribe money or any other supplies?"

"Provide money and other supplies?! Do you have any idea how much legitimate permits costs? " Guaril replies indignantly. "Not to mention travel papers. I did mention for you to collect the clients' payments, didn't I?"

A glare from Valais silences the Varisian. "The Society's agents are well-equipped and resourceful. You are welcome to purchase any additional equipment from the ship's stores that you think you may be lacking. Otherwise, I trust that your knowledge and skills will allow you to obtain anything else you may need once you are within the city."

Guntram Falk wrote:
I will accept, of course, but do we have any way of identifying ourselves to the clients? To help in 'convincing' them?

"You've got to convince Themolin to come!" Guaril insists. “He’s paying more than all the other clients combined.”

His response elicits another glare from Valais. After a few moments, she addresses the Sczarni, "You included the necessary information for making contact within your handwritten note, did you not?"

Guaril's face forms into a scowl, but he nods in the affirmative.

Sneak Runt wrote:
"Also you make it sound like we not strike anyone? You sure about that? Sneak Runt strikes from the shadows!"

Valais fixes her gaze upon the sneaky goblin. Her look serious and stern. "“I would highly advise against using any form of violence unless absolutely necessary, particularly whenever out-of-doors where you are likely to be seen. Belimarius encourages her subjects to keep tabs on one another and, particularly, on outsiders. Indeed, outsiders are not permitted to brandish weapons and are subject to a strict curfew.”

“I suggest that you adhere to it, or else you are certain to be caught. Even one as skillful as yourself, Sneak Runt." Valais smiles briefly in recognition of the goblin's penchant for stealth, before again assuming a serious demeanor. "For the sake of this operation, we don’t want to risk any unwanted attention. Your stealthy abilities will serve you better in avoiding trouble than in seeking it.”

Feel free to post any other questions. Otherwise, everyone starts with at least 1 Hero Point and may slot any boons. Purchases may be made from the Lightbringer's stores before heading to Xin-Edessaril.

Finally, secret checks may be made for any PCs who wish to Recall knowledge before arriving in Xin-Edasseril. PCs may be able to use a Society or Warfare Lore check to Recall Knowledge about Xin-Edasseril and Shard Cove. PCs may make Society check or Thassilon Lore checks to Recall Knowledge regarding Belimarius. NOTE: Critical failures can lead to misinformation. If you wish to attempt either or both, you may do so. I have suggested a way to make secret checks in the Discussion thread. If you prefer me to make the check for you, please post the relevant modifier(s) and I will go ahead and make them, then convey the information to you

Vigilant Seal

N (female) goblin (unbreakable) ranger 1 | HP 21 | AC 17 | F +6 R +9 W +5 | Perc +7; darkvision | Stealth +7 | 25ft. | Reactions: ---

Sneak looks mournfully at her crossbow and nods.

"What about merchant disguise? You give us clothes, merchandise, yes?"

Vigilant Seal

F Half-orc | Sorcerer 1 | HP 14/14 | AC 14 (15 with shield spell) | F +3 R +4 W +7 | Perception +5 |Spells 1st 3/3, Focus 1/1 | Hero 1/3

"I've heard it said that Belimarius is a runelord. Ridiculous of course. They died out millenia ago. Still, I suppose I should consult my ancestors on the matter."

Zaza's eyes roll back in her head as she mutters ancient words of power. She casts Ancestral Memories to gain training in Thassilon Lore.

Thassilon Lore and Society Recall Knowledge:
Thassilon Lore: 1d20 + 3 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 3 + 2 + 1 = 16 The last +1 is a status bonus from Imperial bloodline-Blood Magic

Also while blood magic is up I'll use society to Recall Knowledge about Xin-Edasseril
society: 1d20 + 5 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 5 + 1 = 22

Grand Archive

CG Strong-Blooded Dwarf Monk 2 | HP 36/36 | AC 16 (20 w/Stance) | F +9 R +6 W +8 | P + 6 | Speed 20' | Class DC 18 | Conditions:

Guntram looks over Guaril's note. Guess this'll have to do. I'm ready to head out when the rest of ya are.

Horizon Hunters

Female Halfling Rogue - 4 | 42/42hp | F-8, R-13, W-10 | AC21 | Perc-9

Katrina frowns during most of this. As far as she knows, the Bellflowers don't try to extort money from the slaves they rescue - and this mission is something that this potential Bellflower member would do anyway, payment or no payment. She keeps quiet as she memorises the list.

Merchants huh? Well I suppose that's easier than travelling entertainers. Well ... let's do this. We'll get your people out ... the gold .... maybe

She glares at Guaril at the last word, distaste obvious in her voice.

She also couldn't resist tossing a quip at Valais. And I can see why you're the head of the Radiant Oath she grins.

Envoy's Alliance

CG Male Halfling (Observant) Champion(Liberator) (1)| HP 18/18 | AC 18 | F +7 R +6 W +7 | Perc +5 | Stealth +5 | speed 25ft| Active Conditions: None

Evgeni is full of good cheer and bravado. He is sure he knows something about Xin-Edasseril and the Shard Coast.

Society or Warfare Lore check to Recall Knowledge about Xin-Edasseril and Shard Cove:
Society: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (5) + 0 = 5

Vigilant Seal

F Half-orc | Sorcerer 1 | HP 14/14 | AC 14 (15 with shield spell) | F +3 R +4 W +7 | Perception +5 |Spells 1st 3/3, Focus 1/1 | Hero 1/3
Sneak Runt wrote:

Sneak looks mournfully at her crossbow and nods.

"What about merchant disguise? You give us clothes, merchandise, yes?"

"I don't know Sneak. We could just get you a floppy hat with a feather, maybe a colorful cloak. I'm sure you'll be fine."


Burden of Envy: Table 1 | Table 2
Zaza the Measure wrote:
Sneak Runt wrote:

Sneak looks mournfully at her crossbow and nods.

"What about merchant disguise? You give us clothes, merchandise, yes?"

"I don't know Sneak. We could just get you a floppy hat with a feather, maybe a colorful cloak. I'm sure you'll be fine."

"It is unlikely that our ship's stores have much variety in the way of clothing. However, I am sure there are few baubles and trinkets that you could take with you that may pass as merchandise, if you are so inclined." Valais suggests.

Zaza:
You recall that Belimarius became the tenth and final Runelord of Envy upon the murder of her predecessor. Thousands of years ago, Belimarius ruled the Thassilonian realm of Edasseril, a nation of bitter rivalries, byzantine bureaucracy, and enslaved giants, until shortly before Earthfall. As the result of Belimarius’ efforts to avoid the catastrophe, the ancient city of Xin- Edasseril became trapped outside of time, allowing the runelord and her citizens to survive the worldwide calamity known as Earthfall.

You further recall that Edasseril is the western kingdom of the nation of New Thassilon, which was recently founded by the two surviving runelords of ancient Thassilon. Edasseril is the domain of Belimarius, the Runelord of Envy. Xin-Edasseril, the nation’s capital, is located on Peridot Isle.

Evgeni:
You recall that Shard Cove was so named because it once contained one of the artifacts known as the Shards of Sin, and anyone living near the cove is often overcome with overwhelming feelings of envy, regardless of their normal demeanor.

PCs that have not yet, may still slot boons and attempt checks noted above to Recall Knowledge, but I will move us along.

Your vessel, The Merry Mayfly, departs from the Lightbringer and makes its way to the island chain that forms the western borders of Edasseril. Approaching one of the larger islands, you are soon able to see the city of Xin-Edasseril.

The capital of Edasseril is a city of gleaming architecture and beautiful vistas, although its skyline bears fresh scars that tell of some catastrophic event that must have befallen it. While most of its structures stand as grand displays of the wealth and power of ancient Thassilon, there are indicators of ongoing construction projects dotting various spots throughout the city. You arrive at the city's docks without incident.

Upon disembarking, your immediately met by a pair of well-armed guards. One is a half-elf male; the other is a human female. Both sheathed in armor adorned in green accents identifying them as members of the Emerald Guard. The way they carry themselves and their strict, discipline demeanor evident years of martial training.

A map of the docks for reference and pictures of the guards are now available on the Slides.

As you approach their checkpoint near the opposite end of the dock, the male guard narrows his eyes and gives the one in the lead among you a stern look.

"Your papers, please." the guard demands curtly. Despite the inclusion of the word, 'please', there is no pleasantness or courtesy to be found in the man's tone of voice.

Envoy's Alliance

CG Male Halfling (Observant) Champion(Liberator) (1)| HP 18/18 | AC 18 | F +7 R +6 W +7 | Perc +5 | Stealth +5 | speed 25ft| Active Conditions: None

I have heard of this Shard Coast. I believe it takes its name from an artifact that was once located there, the Shards of Sin. I have heard that those who live there are often overtaken with feelings of jealousy even if they were not covetous beforehand.

Evgani swaggers up with the group. Hi there. Beautiful day isn't it?


Burden of Envy: Table 1 | Table 2

"What's so beautiful about it?" mutters the half-elf guard as he shakes his head. Apparently satisfied with the papers, the guard returns them to the halfling "merchant".

"Speaking of 'day', there is a curfew in effect for all outsiders, such as yourselves, from first bell until sundown. You are to remain indoors at all other times." he notes.

"Further, I see that your papers expire in five days. You will not be permitted within the city after that time. Until then, keep your weapons stowed, or your visit may be even shorter." he says, as he ushers Evgeni past the check point.

"Next! he cries, holding out his hand for additional papers.

Horizon Hunters

Female Halfling Rogue - 4 | 42/42hp | F-8, R-13, W-10 | AC21 | Perc-9

Katrina hands her papers over.

So, curfew is at first bell to sundown?she asks. And we're to remain indoors at all other times? So when do we get tae shop then?

society: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15

Vigilant Seal

F Half-orc | Sorcerer 1 | HP 14/14 | AC 14 (15 with shield spell) | F +3 R +4 W +7 | Perception +5 |Spells 1st 3/3, Focus 1/1 | Hero 1/3
Zaza the Measure wrote:

"I've heard it said that Belimarius is a runelord. Ridiculous of course. They died out millenia ago. Still, I suppose I should consult my ancestors on the matter."

Zaza's eyes roll back in her head as she mutters ancient words of power. She casts Ancestral Memories to gain training in Thassilon Lore.

Zaza continues to mutter words that can't quite be heard clearly. She lowers her head and shudders. When she looks up she is normal once again.

"Well, ridiculous or not my ancestors tell me it seems to be true. Belimarius became the tenth and final Runelord of Envy upon the murder of her predecessor. Thousands of years ago, she ruled the Thassilonian realm of Edasseril, a nation of bitter rivalries, byzantine bureaucracy, and enslaved giants, until shortly before Earthfall. And here's the interesting part. As the result of her efforts to avoid the catastrophe, the ancient city of Xin- Edasseril became trapped outside of time, allowing the runelord and her citizens to survive the worldwide calamity. It's entirely possible that some of my thassilonian ancestors might actually be alive here in this city. Obviously not the ones I just communed with of course. They're quite dead."

Grand Archive

CG Strong-Blooded Dwarf Monk 2 | HP 36/36 | AC 16 (20 w/Stance) | F +9 R +6 W +8 | P + 6 | Speed 20' | Class DC 18 | Conditions:

Guntram whispers to Katrina, Think he means that the other way around, so we can be out and about during the day.


Burden of Envy: Table 1 | Table 2

Due to the chance for misinformation, I am requiring the Society checks to be secret.

GM Rolls for Katrina's Society checks:

Society: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15
Society: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11

Katrina:
You recall that Edasseril is the western kingdom of the nation of New Thassilon, which was founded by the two surviving runelords of ancient Thassilon. Edasseril is the domain of Belimarius, the Runelord of Envy. Xin-Edasseril, the nation’s capital, is located on Peridot Isle.

Katrina Caldwell wrote:
So, curfew is at first bell to sundown?she asks. And we're to remain indoors at all other times? So when do we get tae shop then?

You do not recall any specific information about Belimarius.

"What my colleague, Captain Ellvard, meant to say," replies the guardswoman as the half-elven man examines the halfling's papers, "is that the curfew for outsiders ends at first bell and begins at sundown."

The woman continues with her stoic face revealing the faintest hints of a smirk as she mutters something quietly to herself.

All PCs may attempt an open Perception check.

Perception (DC 20):
"It seems, Captain, that you may be more inartful in more ways than one."

The woman then receives the dwarf's papers, spending a few minutes to examine them carefully. As she returns them to the dwarf, she looks Guntram in the eye, and warns, "Remain indoors after curfew. Be out of the city within five days. Keep your weapons stowed--at all times."

The two guards at the checkpoint examine the papers of the rest of party, providing similar warnings as they allow you to enter into the city.

PCs that may know more about the Emerald Guard may make secret checks in Society, Thassilon Lore, or Underworld Lore to Recall Knowledge.

Once past the check point at the docks, you are relatively free to travel around within the city. It is evident that Xin-Edasseril is bustling with activity. Yet, the city clearly operates under the weight of oppression. Additional check points, each manned by multiple members of the Emerald Guard, have been set up at natural "choke points" for traffic flowing within the city. Likewise, Emerald Guard patrols, visibly well-armed, can be seen marching through the city with considerable frequency. The residents within the city give the patrols a wide berth. Even when the Emerald Guard is not within their immediate vicinity, the citizens of the city go to length to avoid making direct eye contact with you and other obvious outsiders. They seem almost as weary of their fellow citizens, undoubtedly the result of the Runelord's frequent use of hidden spies and secret police.

A map of the city is now available on the Slides.

The party may choose a location to seek out first or else spend time Gathering Information. The latter requires secret rolls for Diplomacy and takes two hours.

The fact that it is still fairly early in the morning and that obvious foreigners can be seen among the denizens of Xin-Edasseril, allows you to discern that first bell has recently been rung and that you have about eight hours in the day remaining before curfew.

Horizon Hunters

Female Halfling Rogue - 4 | 42/42hp | F-8, R-13, W-10 | AC21 | Perc-9

perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14

Katrina smirks back at the guard lady. Thanks. That makes more sense

What's A2 and A7 - or aren't they relevant

Once inside, she starts gathering information to get a 'feel' for the place diplomacy +7 and quickly comes to the conclusion that the city needs cheering up.

Vigilant Seal

N (female) goblin (unbreakable) ranger 1 | HP 21 | AC 17 | F +6 R +9 W +5 | Perc +7; darkvision | Stealth +7 | 25ft. | Reactions: ---

perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24

Sneak decides that the guards might not take well to referring to herself as Sneak. On nothing more than a hunch from the list, she introduces herself to the guards...

"Runt" she says patting her chest. She then looks at them expectantly, a questioning look on her face, waiting for them to say their own names.

If they don't get the gist after a few moments, she gives an exasperated sigh and says "Your name, your name?"


Burden of Envy: Table 1 | Table 2
Sneak Runt wrote:
"Runt" she says patting her chest. She then looks at them expectantly, a questioning look on her face, waiting for them to say their own names.

The guards try to ignore the goblin's words, keeping their eyes affixed to the travel papers they have been handed for examination.

Sneak Runt wrote:
after a few moments, she gives an exasperated sigh and says "Your name, your name?"

The human looks up from her papers. With a smirk, she calls out to the half-elf, "Hey, Captain Ellvard! This one thinks their entitled to our names!"

The two guards share a loud laugh, then resume their scans of the travel papers. When she has completed her inspection, the woman bends down and returns the papers to the goblin. As she does so, she states stiffly in a quieter tone, "You would do well to take care in who you speak to while in the city, Little One.."

Returning to her upright stance, she loudly warns, "Observe curfew. Know when your papers expire. Keep your weapons stowed." She then quickly passes the "merchant" though the check point.

Katrina Caldwell wrote:
What's A2 and A7 - or aren't they relevant

Let's say, they aren't relevant--at the moment.

Katrina spends a couple of hours gathering information within the city.

Secret GM Rolls:

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11

Katrina:
The local that you approach are reluctant to speak with you The few, who do, choose their words carefully and with frequent side glances to see who else may be listening in. They unconvincingly inform you that Xin-Edasseril is the gleaming jewel of Golarion thanks to the power and insight of the Runelord Belimarius, who has made the city the envy of the other nations of the world.

Vigilant Seal

F Half-orc | Sorcerer 1 | HP 14/14 | AC 14 (15 with shield spell) | F +3 R +4 W +7 | Perception +5 |Spells 1st 3/3, Focus 1/1 | Hero 1/3

I'm assuming I've had plenty of time to regain my focus point during our boat trip
"The Emerald Guard... That sounds familiar. I'll consult my ancestors." Zaza begins a now familiar action as she casts Ancestral Memories to gain training in Thassilon Lore

Thassilon Lore:
Thassilon Lore: 1d20 + 3 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 3 + 2 + 1 = 23 After the casting I'll do my perception check so that I get the +1 from Blood Magic

Perception: 1d20 + 5 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 5 + 1 = 7

"I think Katrina has the right idea in getting a feel for the city. I'll do the same."

Spoiler:
diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23

1 to 50 of 199 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Valen's Burden of Envy (PbP)(June 2020) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.