GM Doug's Lions of Katapesh [Outpost III] (Inactive)

Game Master Doug Hahn

This is Lions of Katapesh, a repeatable scenario for Outpost III: Putting on the Ritz!

The event runs from March 30 - May 18, 2020.

Please dot & delete here.


1 to 50 of 219 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>

The Perennial Crown

This is Lions of Katapesh, a repeatable scenario for Outpost III: Putting on the Ritz!

The event runs from March 30 - May 18, 2020.

Please dot & delete here.


The Perennial Crown

The city of Katapesh sprawls across a valley of blazing-hot sand. It's one of the most wondrous cities in all of Golarion — a place of mystery and chaos, where cash is king and almost anything can be bought or sold.

It's blissfully cool this morning — at least for now. You find yourself standing outside an upscale restaurant whose tables are covered with checkered cloth — but even though it's the breakfast hour when such an establishment would be bustling with customers, the place looks totally empty. You've been sent here by Venture-Captain Wulessa Yuul to meet one Yigrig Moneymaker.

As you hesitate outside the empty establishment, you turn and see some fellow Pathfinders nearby — the others who're here to receive their mission briefing.

I have put a map and inset on SLide one, so you can situate yourself in the world.

Please introduce your characters! Some details you might want to include what you're doing in Katapesh, what do you look like, and how do you greet your fellow teammates?

Radiant Oath

NG male human (versatile) champion (redeemer) 3 l HP 45/45 | AC 21 (23 with Shield Raised) | F +8 R +5 W +9 | Perc +7 | speed 25 ft | focus 1/1| Hero 1 | Active Conditions:

Karando waves to his fellow Pathfinders. "I expected this place would be crawling with goblins. I wonder what Yigrig Moneylender is up to?"

The dark-haired champion has a machete at his side, and the dark steel of the shield on his back shows a faint mottled pattern.

Vigilant Seal

Focus: 1 | Hero Points: 1 | Divine DC: +17 | Male Human Cleric 1 |AC 17| HP 17/17 | Fort: +6 Ref: +5 Will: +9 | Percep +7

"Ah, my fellow agent!" Rene Hoyt takes the mug off his belt and lifts it in salute. "No, no goblins yet. And no clientele, either. Hmm... I do wonder what the local drink is here."

He crosses his arms in mild disappointment before extending his hand out to Karando Tull. "René Hoyt, at your service!" Hoyt is a man who appears to be in his late thirties, with graying hair at the temples and while still fit, he no longer has the body that he had in his youth. His face is easy-going, even though he does have bags and wrinkles under his eyes.

Grand Archive

Male Dwarf (strong-blooded dwarf) Rogue 1 (Ruffian) AC 18 hp 20/20 Resistances: poison 1 piercing 1

A tall dwarf stands with his arms-crossed over a dusty suit of scale mail, his face a riot of blankness. An auburn beard spreads out from his face in the fashion of a pyramid, doing little to dispel his mien. He nods upwards imperceptibly at the mug-hefter, lifting his eyebrows a touch as he exhales.

"Chalek. Grimmerhamner."

The high-pitched voice almost squeals out of the dwarf, stopping conversations dead in their tracks due to the incongruity. The dwarf swallows, his auburn beard fading into his auburn-ing complexion. "I'm with you."

He then breaks gaze, continuing to gaze across the scene while casually opening and closing his hands to crack his knuckles.

Vigilant Seal

Focus: 1 | Hero Points: 1 | Divine DC: +17 | Male Human Cleric 1 |AC 17| HP 17/17 | Fort: +6 Ref: +5 Will: +9 | Percep +7

There is that moment of silence as Hoyt tries to reconcile the dwarf with the voice. He clears his throat.

"My dear, friend", Hoyt says addressing Chalek. "You're a man, er, dwarf, of few words, but no worries. I'll speak for both of us", he says with a friendly smile.

Verdant Wheel

Male (he/him) half-elf ranger 3 | hp 39/39, hero 1/3 | AC 20, F+8 R+11 W+9 | Speed 30ft | Perception +9 (+11 vs prey), Stealth +9, Survival +7 (+9 to track prey) | Battle Medicine Used: | Hunted Prey: | Current Conditions:

A tall man approaches, a finely-crafted shortbow slung over his shoulder. Lowering his hood reveals the shaved head and facial tattoos common among the Shoanti people of the Storval Plateau, as well as some elven heritage somewhere in his past. "Hello. I am Varret Alloissa, of the Shadde-Quah." Looking around, he adds "When I joined the Society, I did not expect to spend quite so much time this far from home."

Grand Archive

Male Seer Elf Wizard 3 | HP 20/27 | 0/3 Hero Point | Perc +5 (Low-Light Vision) ; Arcana +11 ; Speed 30 ft. | AC 17| Fort +6 ; Ref +7 ; Will +7 | Default Exploration: Detect Magic | Active conditions: none | Spellbook

"Whereas I have come to appreciate the travel," a tall, extremely thin elf wearing a mask responds to Varret. "It helps me fill gaps in my memory."

He removes the mask, turns his head, and seems to be listening to... something. It gives everyone plenty of time to see that the features, and indeed the mask itself, identify this robe-wearing elf as someone from the far off Mordent Spire.

Suddenly his attention returns, and in a perfectly inflected Taldane he says, "My apologies. I am Zanderel Elerin, practitioner of the arcane arts. Perhaps I should attempt to detect any magical auras before we continue?"

He doesn't wait for an answer, whispering words of power to reveal magic nearby.
Cast Detect Magic

Verdant Wheel

Male (he/him) half-elf ranger 3 | hp 39/39, hero 1/3 | AC 20, F+8 R+11 W+9 | Speed 30ft | Perception +9 (+11 vs prey), Stealth +9, Survival +7 (+9 to track prey) | Battle Medicine Used: | Hunted Prey: | Current Conditions:

Zanderel detects the presence of magic.

Grand Archive

Male Seer Elf Wizard 3 | HP 20/27 | 0/3 Hero Point | Perc +5 (Low-Light Vision) ; Arcana +11 ; Speed 30 ft. | AC 17| Fort +6 ; Ref +7 ; Will +7 | Default Exploration: Detect Magic | Active conditions: none | Spellbook

When he picks up magical auras, he asks, "I should have verified with you all. Do any of you carry magic? If so, I can ignore those emanations. It will help me as we explore."

Horizon Hunters

CG female elf (whisper elf) fighter 3 | HP 43/43 | AC 20 | F +8 R +11 W +8 | Perc +8 | Stealth +9 | Speed:30 ft | Active Conditions: ---

An elegantly dressed elf with blond hair and striking violet eyes joins the conversation. "Yes, my bow here is magical. Zarindlara Aviar. And I have to agree about the travel. I want to see other place, of course, that's why I joined Benarry's faction, but I've scarcely been in Absalom! I have the distinct impression that my awful sister, she's a Venture Captain, you know, has been pulling strings to get me sent away on missions. Oh, Varret, good to see you again! We'll have to train together while we're out here, I want a rematch from that last archery tournament."

Vigilant Seal

Focus: 1 | Hero Points: 1 | Divine DC: +17 | Male Human Cleric 1 |AC 17| HP 17/17 | Fort: +6 Ref: +5 Will: +9 | Percep +7

"The only magical thing about me is my personality, friend", Hoyt responds with a grin by placing his hand on his chest.

(No magical auras detected)

Verdant Wheel

Male (he/him) half-elf ranger 3 | hp 39/39, hero 1/3 | AC 20, F+8 R+11 W+9 | Speed 30ft | Perception +9 (+11 vs prey), Stealth +9, Survival +7 (+9 to track prey) | Battle Medicine Used: | Hunted Prey: | Current Conditions:

"It's good to see you again, Zarindlara. Let's hope there are no surprises like the one in Osirion." Turning back to Zanderel, "the rune inscribed on my bow should register as well."


The Perennial Crown

Everyone has checked introduced themselves.

A goblin maitre d' gestures you inside. He's wearing a white shirt, black slacks, bowtie, and black suit vest.

He leads you through the restaurant, which is totally empty but for one goblin sitting alone at a table in the back. His back is to the wall. He's just now finishing his breakfast. He finishes chewing, puts his fork and knife on the table, and wipes his mouth with a silk napkin. The maitre d' clears the flatware and rushes off to the kitchen. The goblin takes a sip of espresso.

Please, take a seat. Thank you for meeting me in my time of need. His voice is a husky whisper. Art on Slide 2

I have a lotta respect for the Society. You’ve been good to my family in the past, and my family has aided your organization in return. But today, I sit before you, in a time of need.... in need of a favor.

You see, my family and I have been workin' on a trade deal between the cities of Solku and Oenopion. It’s a good arrangement, one where Solku gains the materials it needs to defend itself, Oenopion gains a new trading partner… and my family is rewarded for their efforts.

There’s only one issue standing in our way: a bridge must be constructed over the Elemion River. This bridge will connect the two cities. And my family will facilitate the safety and maintenance of this bridge.

It shoulda been a simple job… easy to pull off. But nothin's easy in this life.

The old goblin leans forward. Every night at the work camp, more of my children are pulled from their beds in the night. Presumed dead. Every shipment of aid I send gets attacked. The last one I sent didn't even arrive.

There is a lot of money riding on this deal. Bit this ain't about money no more. This is personal. Someone is harming my family and I can’t sit by and let that happen.

Do you understand? Do you know how important family is?

I have arranged a contract with the Society. To protect my bridge. To protect my family. Your organization will do this for me, and someday my family will do a favor for you.

My latest shipment of supplies is ready to leave. New workers and supplies for my bridge. I want you on it. I want you to see it safely to the bridge site. I want you to stop the attacks on the camp by any means necessary. I want the job complete.

When you get to the work camp, you'll meet Zig. Sweet kid… takes after his old man. He's in charge. He lights a cigar and leans back, gazing into each of your eyes in turn.

Nothing is more important than family. Nothing. I’m asking you to take care of mine. Do you understand?

Now is the time to ask any qustions!

Grand Archive

Male Seer Elf Wizard 3 | HP 20/27 | 0/3 Hero Point | Perc +5 (Low-Light Vision) ; Arcana +11 ; Speed 30 ft. | AC 17| Fort +6 ; Ref +7 ; Will +7 | Default Exploration: Detect Magic | Active conditions: none | Spellbook

"This seems like a straightforward task. Perhaps too straightforward." Zanderel muses. "You must have competition, right? Who would benefit from this failing?"


The Perennial Crown

Ygrig shrugs. Many people want to hurt me and my family. Just as many people want to hurt your Society. It's the cost of doing business.

I've been told that some sort of large animal has been attacking the camp during the night, and something else has been aggressive toward anyone that tries to leave or enter the site, no matter what time of day. Bandits? Animals? Accounts are conflicting, but whatever they are, they’re dangerous.

Spoiler:

Chalek, Nature: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20
Hoyt, Nature: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8
Karando, Nature: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22
Varret, Nature: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14
Zarindlara, Nature: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22
Zanderel, Nature: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7

The mention of animals jogs your memories.

Chalek, Karando, and Zarindlara remember that the bridge's area is home to great beasts such as lions, panthers, dire wolves, and more. Such creatures might be responsible for the attacks on the camp.

Verdant Wheel

Male (he/him) half-elf ranger 3 | hp 39/39, hero 1/3 | AC 20, F+8 R+11 W+9 | Speed 30ft | Perception +9 (+11 vs prey), Stealth +9, Survival +7 (+9 to track prey) | Battle Medicine Used: | Hunted Prey: | Current Conditions:

"Hm. I've never known animals to be so aggressive as to come into a settlement like that. What sort of defenses are at the camp?"

Radiant Oath

NG male human (versatile) champion (redeemer) 3 l HP 45/45 | AC 21 (23 with Shield Raised) | F +8 R +5 W +9 | Perc +7 | speed 25 ft | focus 1/1| Hero 1 | Active Conditions:

"There's nothing more important than family. We'll take care of whomever is hunting yours."

Karando searches his memory of the the wilds of Katapesh. "Many dangerous predators stalk that area, but nothing we shouldn't be able to handle." He give Yigrig a smile.

Grand Archive

Male Dwarf (strong-blooded dwarf) Rogue 1 (Ruffian) AC 18 hp 20/20 Resistances: poison 1 piercing 1

Nothing magical detected about Chalek.

Chalek grunts and cracks his knuckles as he nods at the elder goblin's words.

He then steps up to René and leans in to the cleric, his curiously-high voice a sotto voce whisper.

René (or someone with keen ears):
"Maybe we ask Maester Moneymaker to identify for us who exactly he considers to be 'family'?"

Of course, anyone who wants to try to hear Chalek may do so.


The Perennial Crown

Zanderel did not detect any magic from GM-controlled sources outside, and doesn't sense any inside.

Varret Aalloissa wrote:
"Hm. I've never known animals to be so aggressive as to come into a settlement like that. What sort of defenses are at the camp?"

I'm sure my boy Zig is doing all he can. They have wood and bulding supplies. I hope they at least built a fence. But they are not fighters, at least not like you.

Karando Tull wrote:
Karando searches his memory of the the wilds of Katapesh. "Many dangerous predators stalk that area, but nothing we shouldn't be able to handle." He givs Yigrig a smile.

Ygrig nods. Thank you. I expect no less from the Society. He nods at Chalek as well.

Vigilant Seal

Focus: 1 | Hero Points: 1 | Divine DC: +17 | Male Human Cleric 1 |AC 17| HP 17/17 | Fort: +6 Ref: +5 Will: +9 | Percep +7

Hoyt smiles inwardly, "That voice will take some getting used to."

"Oh, yes, yes. Of course." He nods to Chalek's words before addressing Ygrig,"When you say family, surely you don't mean the whole camp now, do you?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
The Perennial Crown

A cat runs up and sits in Ygrig's lap. The old goblin leans back, stroking its fur. He pauses and thinks carefully about René's question.

Years ago, I came to this country with nothing. Not even freedom. You can tell he's becoming angry just thinking about this phase of his life. I managed to liberate myself after my master suffered a very unfortunate accident. Afterwards, I taught myself to read and write — and to make good business investments.

And before slavery was outlawed in most places, I focused on one kind of investment: slaves. Goblin slaves.

I bought them from your Society. Your old venture captain, Phlegos Dulm, sold them to me on the side. But what he didn't know was that I freed them.

And those who chose to stay could earn an honest living like a good goblin, and become a part of my family. Many of them had opportunities to be placed in the highest households in Katapesh: politician's homes, merchant's guilds… your Pathfinder lodge. There, they earned honest livings as the cooks and dishwashers and servants. Sometimes, they'd do a little favor for their family, here and there. Small things. If they overheard something, they might let their family know about it.

I also have family up North. And South. You might say I have family everywhere. It's a big family.

He leans forward. I am telling you this so we understand each other, as business associates.

The whole camp is my family. All of those goblins. No matter where you are, or how far from Katapesh you are, you aren't very far from my family. So having our gratitude is nice, for you and for your Society, who I admire and congratulate on their ongoing success. Capisce?

Grand Archive

Male Dwarf (strong-blooded dwarf) Rogue 1 (Ruffian) AC 18 hp 20/20 Resistances: poison 1 piercing 1

Chalek raises his eyebrows up and down slowly at Ygrig in acknowledgment, nodding once as he does so.

I've worked for 'families' before. I know how to do this.

Horizon Hunters

CG female elf (whisper elf) fighter 3 | HP 43/43 | AC 20 | F +8 R +11 W +8 | Perc +8 | Stealth +9 | Speed:30 ft | Active Conditions: ---

Zarindlara nods. "Seems like a noble pursuit. We'll make sure that your family is well-protected." She eyes his drink. "I don't suppose we could get an espresso for the road?"


The Perennial Crown

Of course. Order anything you'd like. It is my gift to you.

The goblin maitre d' appears, seemingly out of nowhere, and takes down your orders.

Grand Archive

Male Seer Elf Wizard 3 | HP 20/27 | 0/3 Hero Point | Perc +5 (Low-Light Vision) ; Arcana +11 ; Speed 30 ft. | AC 17| Fort +6 ; Ref +7 ; Will +7 | Default Exploration: Detect Magic | Active conditions: none | Spellbook

"Ahh, I see. Not unlike the Sczarni in Varisia, I would say. And I must commend you on your enterprising spirit."

The wizard ponders a moment, then says, "Very well, I am ready. Where should we meet with the team handling your next shipment?"

Grand Archive

Male Dwarf (strong-blooded dwarf) Rogue 1 (Ruffian) AC 18 hp 20/20 Resistances: poison 1 piercing 1

The dwarf shakes his head curtly at the offer from the maitre'd. He then clears his throat.

"Climbing gear."

The voice sings out, completely unsuited to the stout and muscular form. Much in the same way that a hill giant cannon-balling into a lake is, it is not subtle. Chalek coughs, the back of his hand scrubbing across his bearded face. He looks around.

"We might need climbing gear."

It's just as curious the second time as the first.

Grand Archive

Male Seer Elf Wizard 3 | HP 20/27 | 0/3 Hero Point | Perc +5 (Low-Light Vision) ; Arcana +11 ; Speed 30 ft. | AC 17| Fort +6 ; Ref +7 ; Will +7 | Default Exploration: Detect Magic | Active conditions: none | Spellbook

"Is there something wrong with your voice, Chalek? I have met dwarves in my one hundred and forty two years, but yours is definitely unique. Is it a magical curse? I admit that I did not detect that. I likely can craft a tincture that will ease any pains it might give you."

The elf appears to genuinely want to help.

Grand Archive

Male Dwarf (strong-blooded dwarf) Rogue 1 (Ruffian) AC 18 hp 20/20 Resistances: poison 1 piercing 1

Chalek frowns sternly at Zanderel's words and shakes his head 'no' curtly. He then re-directs a curt nod of acknowledgment to Ygrig and huffs out the door.


The Perennial Crown

If you have not done so, please slot boons and choose your school items! You have received the mission briefing and made your knowledge checks for background info. Everyone has at least 1 hero point as noted on the slide.

Vigilant Seal

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Focus: 1 | Hero Points: 1 | Divine DC: +17 | Male Human Cleric 1 |AC 17| HP 17/17 | Fort: +6 Ref: +5 Will: +9 | Percep +7

Hoyt nods, his face losing its cheerfulness and turning serious after heating Ygrig's explanation. "That almost sounded menacing, if I didn't know we were in good, civilized company." His smile quickly returns after that statement.

"Ah, drinks. I'll have some rum. You wouldn't happen to have some Southern Squall now, would you?"


The Perennial Crown

Climbing gear? The goblin spreads his hands, gesturing to the restaurant space at large. My fine establishment serves food and drink. I will provide for you what I can, but my family is not in that line of business…

He smiles at René. I'm glad we have come to a mutual understanding.

The waiter rushes off to prepare a Southern Squall but Ygrig casually puts up his hand; the server pauses immediately. I think my associates will take their drinks to go.

Verdant Wheel

Male (he/him) half-elf ranger 3 | hp 39/39, hero 1/3 | AC 20, F+8 R+11 W+9 | Speed 30ft | Perception +9 (+11 vs prey), Stealth +9, Survival +7 (+9 to track prey) | Battle Medicine Used: | Hunted Prey: | Current Conditions:

"Yes, we wouldn't want to miss our caravan, would we." Varret rises and nods his head respectfully to the goblin. "My people also put great stock in family. We" he says, gesturing to his comrades, "will do everything we can for yours. Now, if you'll excuse us, we have a caravan to catch."


The Perennial Crown

You leave the restaurant; Chalek is outside waiting. Together, you make your way to the staging grounds.

Pack animals bray and teamsters shout — you see a caravan of four huge wagons full of supplies, and around two dozen goblins. They all seem a bit nervous — understandable, given the circumstances.

The caravan's foreperson is a goblin named Muckmuck. He's pale, skinny, and constantly runs his hand through his greasy black hair. He gives you an ingratiating smile before turning away to manage the loading of supplies. You notice that unlike other caravans here, the wagons are pulled by camels. (Those among you with Goblin Lore or Society trained can explain that this is because goblins loathe horses.)

You depart Katapesh, spending hours in the delta before entering the wide and seemingly endless shrubland; the Barrier Wall mountains shimmer ahead, a pale blue mirage wavering on the Western horizon. This is inhospitable land — you drink what water you have, grateful to be a part of a well-equipped caravan.

You get a feel for the workers — many of them are here doing a job, or looking to improve their lot in life. They don't really have a "family" sort of feel. And they seem more and more apprehensive as you get deeper and deeper into the wilderness.

Muckmuck soon sidles up to your group. He chuckles knowingly to himself, in the fatalistic tone that only old laborers can truly master. You longshanks think you can protect us? You can’t save Muckmuck. You can't save any of us. Face the facts. We’re all going to die. Try sitting in the back and talk to the workers. You'll see how scared they are. Doesn’t matter what we do. We’re all going to die.

Tell you the truth, I didn't want to go. Yigrig reads too many books. He’s lost his mind. Family can survive without him. We should all think about leaving before he gets us killed. No help our minstrel lost his hand in that teethbrushing accident. That's why you don't brush your teeth like longshanks! Too much blood. Can’t play his lute anymore.

Tell you what. You want to help? You be the minstrels. Make fancy music; tell jokes; dance; tumble. Make goblins feel less likely to run away. Convince them we’re not all going to die. At least we can be happy for a day.

As you move along — and as you camp tonight — you can make skill checks to entertain the goblin workforce and raise morale. You can use skills like Acrobatics, Athletics, Deception, or Performance to entertain your wards. It seems important to the bridge efforts that the incoming workforce has a good attitude, so your character may want to go out of their way to help out here even if entertaining goblins is not something they'd normally worry about.

Grand Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Dwarf (strong-blooded dwarf) Rogue 1 (Ruffian) AC 18 hp 20/20 Resistances: poison 1 piercing 1

Group intimidation of these pathetic souls is not what is called for - distraction is. The tool needed for the job...

Chalek's grim expression hasn't altered much since leaving Katapesh behind. He hasn't uttered another word. He remains stoic and taciturn, but at the nightly campfire, after the evening meal, he begins practicing long-jumping. Once he has the interest of a few of the goblins, he lays a finger on the side of his nose and points at the campfire.

Chalek backs up a good 10-15 feet from the flames, then races forward, his feet leaving the ground as he propels his dwarven form over the fire.

I'm estimating that Chalek will need to clear 20 feet, so that'd be a DC 20.

Athletics Check: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20 YES!

The dwarf lands heavily, but on his feet on the other side of the fire. Chalek quickly checks his backside to make sure nothing is on fire, then bows to the cheering goblins.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
The Perennial Crown

Chalek easily clears the fire! The goblins, seeing such a stout dwarf so easily clear the fire, begin trying their own long-jumps…

1d20 ⇒ 7
1d20 ⇒ 1

A few of them barely clear the fire, but one goblin earns the nickname "Firehead."

Success!

Radiant Oath

NG male human (versatile) champion (redeemer) 3 l HP 45/45 | AC 21 (23 with Shield Raised) | F +8 R +5 W +9 | Perc +7 | speed 25 ft | focus 1/1| Hero 1 | Active Conditions:

Karando spots two mopey-looking goblins sitting on a bench together, and decides to try to hoist them above his head to entertain everyone.

Bless, me Kazutal!
Athletic Rush!

Athletics: 1d20 + 8 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 8 + 2 = 20

Horizon Hunters

CG female elf (whisper elf) fighter 3 | HP 43/43 | AC 20 | F +8 R +11 W +8 | Perc +8 | Stealth +9 | Speed:30 ft | Active Conditions: ---

Zarindlara delicately comes to her feet atop the camel. She then extends one foot upward, gradually leaning down, and then puts her weight on her hands while she raises the other foot. She does a series of gymnastics poses.

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20

Verdant Wheel

Male (he/him) half-elf ranger 3 | hp 39/39, hero 1/3 | AC 20, F+8 R+11 W+9 | Speed 30ft | Perception +9 (+11 vs prey), Stealth +9, Survival +7 (+9 to track prey) | Battle Medicine Used: | Hunted Prey: | Current Conditions:

Varret joins Zarindlara, perching atop a second camel and mimicking the elf's graceful poses.

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26

Vigilant Seal

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Focus: 1 | Hero Points: 1 | Divine DC: +17 | Male Human Cleric 1 |AC 17| HP 17/17 | Fort: +6 Ref: +5 Will: +9 | Percep +7

Hoyt kneels down near the campfire, extends his hands and begins to tell a series of really bad goblin jokes that would make most audiences groan. Among some of the select morsels told:

"So, I found a wizard the other day who specializes in potions and summoning genies... I asked him for a djinn and tonic!", he says winking. He rubs his hands and goes for another.

"Did you here about the goblin that got his left arm and left leg cut off?" He raises an eyebrow, seeing if he has their attention. "Well now he's all right!"

Performance: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20

"I've also got some about elves and dwarves, too, you know!", he says good naturedly to the rest of the party. "They're like troll hide armor. They grow on you!"

Grand Archive

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Male Seer Elf Wizard 3 | HP 20/27 | 0/3 Hero Point | Perc +5 (Low-Light Vision) ; Arcana +11 ; Speed 30 ft. | AC 17| Fort +6 ; Ref +7 ; Will +7 | Default Exploration: Detect Magic | Active conditions: none | Spellbook

When Rene's jokes run their course, Zanderel sits by the fire and begins to tell a tall tale. It is one that has only loose connections to fact, as his memory is still patchy. "There once was a band of goblins in a place called Thistletop, who lived in peace and harmony-"

Blood. Screams. He weaves a spell that sends bolts of force into the body of a goblin...

He shakes his head, continuing. "A band of longshanks came, hungry and hurt. Their leader, Chief Ripnugget, was a tricksy sort-"

A goblin, mounted on a lizard, shouts obscenities and orders his people to battle. A warrior in scalemail rushes the chief, weapon slicing off the chief's hand...

"So he fed the longshanks, but only if they would wrestle their champion pig! Confident, they entered the sty. But this pig was not small, and the clever chief had fed the boar for years! It-"

Fire in the distance. A fort burns, columns of smoke leaving nothing to the imagination. And yet, an ancient Thassilonian still waited...

The fragmented images of Zanderel's past continue to haunt him as he tells a humorous tale of how a goblin chief pranked a band of adventurers for a whole fortnite.

Deception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20


The Perennial Crown

Karando hoists the goblins high into the air — they laugh and tumble away after long moments high up in the moonlight — these are the bouncy kinds of goblins.

Varret and Zarindlara put on a daring show atop the pack animals — they do so well, in fact, that only a few goblins throw things at them (and none of it is on fire). Truly, an accomplishment.

René tells jokes to the goblin children, who soon learn to torment one another with "dad jokes."

The tale of Ripnugget both entertains and instructs at the fireside — the goblins are oblivious to and far-away looks Zanderel might have had in the telling. Morale seems to be lifted!

6 successes! Great work!

You can make one more series of checks. Note that making the same kind of checks over and over again might not have the desired results, as goblins tend to have short attention spans (mechanically, this means the group can only make one more Athletics check, one more Acrobatics check, and 2 more Performance/Deception checks. There is a risk of hurting morale if you fail, so your character may decide to take the win and not risk failure with a second check. Or, partake in more antics — the night is still young! :)

Grand Archive

Male Dwarf (strong-blooded dwarf) Rogue 1 (Ruffian) AC 18 hp 20/20 Resistances: poison 1 piercing 1

Karando, Zarindlara, and Varret seem to have the highest bonuses to their respective checks, so I'd leave it with them.

Chalek sits back, arms crossed, and enjoys the show.

Grand Archive

Male Seer Elf Wizard 3 | HP 20/27 | 0/3 Hero Point | Perc +5 (Low-Light Vision) ; Arcana +11 ; Speed 30 ft. | AC 17| Fort +6 ; Ref +7 ; Will +7 | Default Exploration: Detect Magic | Active conditions: none | Spellbook

Tired from the tale, Zanderel begs off further take-telling. "Ask one of the others, please."
Going out on a high here

Verdant Wheel

Male (he/him) half-elf ranger 3 | hp 39/39, hero 1/3 | AC 20, F+8 R+11 W+9 | Speed 30ft | Perception +9 (+11 vs prey), Stealth +9, Survival +7 (+9 to track prey) | Battle Medicine Used: | Hunted Prey: | Current Conditions:

Varret goes for the dismount, flipping off the camel with a dramatic flourish.

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13

A ill-timed piece of appreciative debris hits him at an inopportune moment, though, and his landing is much less graceful than he would have preferred.


The Perennial Crown

The goblins boo Varret mercilessly, but at least they enjoy doing it. A failure, but you did not damage morale.

It is now impossible to entertain the goblins using Acrobatics.

Muckmuck smiles. Good work so far. You all done making my people happy now?

Will move you on tomorrow afternoon unless anyone else wants to partake in any antics.

Radiant Oath

NG male human (versatile) champion (redeemer) 3 l HP 45/45 | AC 21 (23 with Shield Raised) | F +8 R +5 W +9 | Perc +7 | speed 25 ft | focus 1/1| Hero 1 | Active Conditions:

I'll try some more antics.

Pleased with how well his first attempt went Karando challenges some of the burlier goblins to a barrel-lifting contest.

Athletics: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23


The Perennial Crown

Karando handidly beats the goblins at barrel-lifting. They are quite entertained at this longshank's prowess. You make good teamster! Maybe help us unlead at camp too!


The Perennial Crown

You rest the night and wake the next morning to a very boosted group (you may, perhaps, even regret your extraordinary success since today the goblins so happy they constantly "sing" and roughhouse).

When you're hours away from the bridge site you stop to water the camels and eat lunch at a small oasis. Suddenly, the idyllic calm seems… too calm. Too quiet.

Chalek turns and sees four wolves approaching stealthily approaching from behind a nearby outcropping of limestone. Their jaws seem to glow with fire — these are no simple wolves!

As you were eating lunch, your weapons are not drawn. Interact action to draw a weapon. Chalek can have his shield strapped on, however.

Spoiler:

Chalek, Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26
Karando, Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18
Varret, Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11
Zanderel, Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22
Zarindlara, Search: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8
Doggo 1: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14
Doggo 2: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14
Doggo 3: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25
Doggo 4: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22

Wagon attack! Round 1: Bold May Act!

Knowledge nature as an action to Recall Lore to learn more about these wolves. Map on SLide 1 is updated. It will cost 2 squares of movement to get on a wagon, and they provide Greater Cover if you want to shoot through them.

Chalek
Doggo 3
Doggo 4
Zanderel
Karando
Doggo 1
Doggo 2
Varret
Zarindlara

Grand Archive

Male Dwarf (strong-blooded dwarf) Rogue 1 (Ruffian) AC 18 hp 20/20 Resistances: poison 1 piercing 1

Chalek shouts in a clear soprano voice.

"Wolves! Get the goblins somewhere safe and plug the holes between the wagons!"

The voice cuts through slumber like a cutting thing.

Action #1: draw morningstar. Action #2: move 15 feet into the cover between wagons. Action #3: Stealth check to become hidden.

Stealth Check: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8 Let's use a Hero Point to start us off.
Reroll: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16 Better.

Chalek slips between the wagons, weapon loosed.

1 to 50 of 219 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Doug's Lions of Katapesh [Outpost III] All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.