GM Otha’s The Cultist’s Kiss Campaign (Outpost III)

Game Master Otha

Slides/Maps/Handouts


1 to 50 of 359 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>
Grand Lodge

What Prestige Is Worth | Cultist’s Kiss

Welcome to the Gameplay Thread. Please dot and delete.

Grand Lodge

What Prestige Is Worth | Cultist’s Kiss

You receive a summons with the Pathfinder seal. Upon opening, it reads...

You are hereby summoned to Magnimar upon urgent Pathfinder business; there is a cult that poses a threat to us as well as the general public. Meet me at Heidmarch Manor as soon as possible.

Signed,
Venture-Captain Sheila Heidmarch

You make the proper travel arrangements; upon arrival to Heidmarch Manor, you are directed to a meeting/banquet room by one of the servants. There is a spread on largest table, with fruit, bread, and cheese, along with decanters of wine.

"Lady Heidmarch will be with you shortly. Please enjoy the fare we have prepared for you..."

We will officially start on the 30th...but you can introduce your characters to one another in the meantime...

Dark Archive

HP:12+74/74 | AC: 21 (15T/16FF) | Fort +11, Ref +14, Will +8 | Initiative: +11 | Perception +36 +1d6 (+2 vs traps) Trap Spotter 10' | Sense Motive +25 +1d6 | BUFFS: Clear Ear, Bloodboil Pill

Nodding his thanks, the human looks about the room. Keen eyes collect and categorize the information. The trim of his dark green cloak with lined with silver elven runes. Moving to the buffet, he fills a plate with some of the local fare. He then pours himself some hot tea, stirring in a generous spoonful of honey. He crosses to a high back chair near the window and settles in. Placing his cup on the varisian end table, he reaches into his pack, withdrawing the most recent publication of the Pathfinder Chronicle. Time to see what errors need correcting this month. He sets the book in his lap and begins to read the latest entries.

The Exchange

Human Waves Oracle 1 / Marid Sorcerer 7 [HP 67/52 | AC 11(15)/11/10(14) | F+6 R+5 W+9 | Init +1 Perc +3 SM +10]
Spell tracker:
Oracle 1: 5/5 remaining, Sorc 1: 3/8 remaining, Sorc 2: 5/8 remaining, Sorc 3: 5/5 remaining

Teric walks into the room and smiles. He glances over the food and pick up a piece of cheese and pours himself a glass of wine. "Ah, Shelia is ever the gracious host." The Varasian sips the wine and grimaces. "Oh well..."

He wears a loose fitting linen shirt and sports a oiled beard. You are reminded about all the stories you heard about Varasians taking advantage of people. Yet somehow, Teric seems completely trustworthy.

He looks over to the man in green. "Shelia ask for your presence too? I'm Teric Cain, businessman and trade prince. I own several trade routes around Avistan. And you are?" He takes another sip of wine.

Liberty's Edge

active effects:
longstrider, barkskin, feather step, spider climb, GMF, resist fire 20
more effects:
tiger focus (+2 dex), shield, death ward
Male Half Orc (Mwangi heritage) Barbarian (scarred rager) 3 / Hunter 7 | current AC30 T 14 FF 27 | HP 81/81 [81/81] | F +13 R +11 W +9 (+2 Fort and Will in rage) | CMD 25 | CMB +12| Init +2 | Perc +16 dv 60' | Rage (14/16) | Animal focus (4/7) | Spells (-, 2/5, 1/4, 12/2)

A towering, grey-skinned half-orc enters the hall. His bleached dreadlocks are tucked under a shapeless hat. His face is heavily scarred; his black eyes suggest a cunning intelligence. He is clad in a mithril breastplate, and carries several well-maintained weapons.

"Kiboko greets you, fellow pathfinders." The half-orc nods, and takes a hunk of bread and some cheese from the table.


active effects:
bull focus
F Hippopotamus 9HD, animal companion (lvl 10)| current AC 28 T 10 FF 27 | HP [76/76] 76/76 | F +10 R +8 W +5; +2 vs nonmagical disease; +1 vs fear; +2 vs haunts; devotion; evasion | Init +1 | Perc +7 lowlight vision, scent

"Moooaaaarrgghhh!!! Haaarrrr!!! Haaaarrrr!!!"

A deep, bestial noise comes from outside the hall...

Liberty's Edge

active effects:
longstrider, barkskin, feather step, spider climb, GMF, resist fire 20
more effects:
tiger focus (+2 dex), shield, death ward
Male Half Orc (Mwangi heritage) Barbarian (scarred rager) 3 / Hunter 7 | current AC30 T 14 FF 27 | HP 81/81 [81/81] | F +13 R +11 W +9 (+2 Fort and Will in rage) | CMD 25 | CMB +12| Init +2 | Perc +16 dv 60' | Rage (14/16) | Animal focus (4/7) | Spells (-, 2/5, 1/4, 12/2)

"Mvumbu! Kiboko is coming!"

"That is Kiboko's friend, Mvumbu the Wise and Beautiful. Kiboko told the porters to feed her!"

Kiboko takes an old wooden shield off his back and flips it over, making a large improvised dish. He unceremoniously scoops whole bunches of bananas and other fruits into the shield-dish and carries it outside.

"Kiboko is here, sweet Mvumbu! Kiboko has brought your fruits. It is not much, but please eat! Kiboko knows that you are hungry after our journey." Kiboko's voice carries back into the meeting hall.

"YOU! Kiboko told you to feed Mvumbu! Beware, for she has been known to devour slow-witted porters when hungry!" the half-orcs raised voice is easily heard from outside.

But soon Kiboko returns, his shield once more slung over his back.

"She is hungry."

Grand Lodge

m human (tien-dan) summoner (pre-unchained)/10 [hp: 73/73] [init: +2; perc:+0] [ac: 15+ /15/13+) (see below)] [saves: 7/8/9(see below)] [CMB: 7/CMD: 22(20)] [current conditions: Mage Armor]

A smallish Tien-Dan walks into the room and looks carefully around. Clad in green traveler's clothing, embroidered in golden dragons, and with a faintly glowing red rune on his forehead, he quietly clears his throat and announces..."I am called Jing Kwan. This is my bodyguard, Tiny. We are pleased to meet our new team of traveling companions."

Grand Lodge

Eidolon 10/L [HP: 94/94] [init: +2; perc: +11] [AC: 29+/13/26+] [saves:10/7/6(See Below] [cmb: 13; CMD: 26(23)] [Move: Magic Flight(Perfect): 30'] [Conditions: Mage Armor ]

Floating slightly off the floor and with a greatsword strapped to his back enters "Tiny". Standing 6'6"; 300#, with glowing red eyes, looks like ancient suit of armor (black w/shifting color decorations), and the same glowing red rune as Jing Kwan.

In a low, gravely voice, (think Lurch from the original TV show), he says..."I am called Tiny. I protect the Master."

Dark Archive

HP:12+74/74 | AC: 21 (15T/16FF) | Fort +11, Ref +14, Will +8 | Initiative: +11 | Perception +36 +1d6 (+2 vs traps) Trap Spotter 10' | Sense Motive +25 +1d6 | BUFFS: Clear Ear, Bloodboil Pill

Know, Local: 1d20 + 24 + 1d6 ⇒ (19) + 24 + (1) = 44

The detective's eyes perk up. He takes a moment to study the hippopotamus. "Pray tell. THE Mvumbu? I heard it recounted that he had been granted the ability to fly some time back. Via a spell I should guess. Fascinating. I should like to have a more detailed accounting when possible."
I just can't remember which character I was playing. I don't think it was this character.

Fendel also introduces himself to Jing Kwan in fluent Tien.


active effects:
bull focus
F Hippopotamus 9HD, animal companion (lvl 10)| current AC 28 T 10 FF 27 | HP [76/76] 76/76 | F +10 R +8 W +5; +2 vs nonmagical disease; +1 vs fear; +2 vs haunts; devotion; evasion | Init +1 | Perc +7 lowlight vision, scent

"Haaarrrr!!!" honks the hippo in response to Fendel's words.

Liberty's Edge

active effects:
longstrider, barkskin, feather step, spider climb, GMF, resist fire 20
more effects:
tiger focus (+2 dex), shield, death ward
Male Half Orc (Mwangi heritage) Barbarian (scarred rager) 3 / Hunter 7 | current AC30 T 14 FF 27 | HP 81/81 [81/81] | F +13 R +11 W +9 (+2 Fort and Will in rage) | CMD 25 | CMB +12| Init +2 | Perc +16 dv 60' | Rage (14/16) | Animal focus (4/7) | Spells (-, 2/5, 1/4, 12/2)

Kiboko grins, his prominent tusks jutting forwards.

"Careful, friend. Mvumbu is a she-hippo and she well understands your speech. Yes, she is the Mvumbu, who drank a pig-dragon polymorph potion during the siege of the Diamond City in order to engage flying demons. She was victorious, of course.

Kiboko has never found a similar potion again, and so now Kiboko carries a scroll with an Air Walk spell upon it. The spell will suffice for aerial combat, and Mvumbu seems to prefer it to draconic wings."

You played Kivuli :)

The Exchange

Human Waves Oracle 1 / Marid Sorcerer 7 [HP 67/52 | AC 11(15)/11/10(14) | F+6 R+5 W+9 | Init +1 Perc +3 SM +10]
Spell tracker:
Oracle 1: 5/5 remaining, Sorc 1: 3/8 remaining, Sorc 2: 5/8 remaining, Sorc 3: 5/5 remaining

Teric's eyes widen as he hears the beast outside and then sees "Tiny." "Pauper's purse, it's like a damned zoo in here."

He comes over to the giant bodyguard, noting that he's floating off the ground. "Impressive. It *is* useful to have a strong companion to ward off mundane dangers." He studies Tiny's impressive armor and weapon. "Ah, perhaps I can help you find some custom armor for your large frame! I know many armorsmiths, even some legendary ones of the outer planes. It could be stronger than a martyr's faith, lighter than a fey whisper, and as indestructible angel light! Custom fit, of course. Maybe even something infused with magic to destroy your enemies! And at a real bargain, my friend!" He smiles and eyes the guardian.

Bluff: 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (9) + 19 = 28

Grand Lodge

Eidolon 10/L [HP: 94/94] [init: +2; perc: +11] [AC: 29+/13/26+] [saves:10/7/6(See Below] [cmb: 13; CMD: 26(23)] [Move: Magic Flight(Perfect): 30'] [Conditions: Mage Armor ]

Tiny looks slightly confused as he listens to the strange human. "Tiny does not where armor.", he grumbles, "This is what Tiny is."

Tiny is an Eidolon in case you didn't know. They cannot where armor/shields. I put all his points into Natural Armor so I can buff him with Mage Armor and/or Shield spells. Feel free to look over his character sheet.

The Exchange

Human Waves Oracle 1 / Marid Sorcerer 7 [HP 67/52 | AC 11(15)/11/10(14) | F+6 R+5 W+9 | Init +1 Perc +3 SM +10]
Spell tracker:
Oracle 1: 5/5 remaining, Sorc 1: 3/8 remaining, Sorc 2: 5/8 remaining, Sorc 3: 5/5 remaining

Yeah, I figured. Teric's just the type to try selling snow to an eskimo. And half the time he succeeds.

Teric frowns and then take noes of the rune on Tiny's forehead. "Ah, a guardian. Yes, I understand the mystical link."

He bows to Jing Kwan. "You are the holder of the leash, yes? I am impressed. I have my own companion, though she is not as large as yours." A viper suddenly crawls out of the tattoo encircling his neck. "Say hello to Darla." The snake curls around his arms and slithers down towards his hand.

The Concordance

Female Human Witch 10 | HP: 56/56 | AC: 18 (21 Mage Armor) | T: 15| FF: 15 (Mage Armor)| CMD: 20| Fort: +6 | Ref: +8| Will: +9 | Init: +9 | Perc: +12 | Sense Motive: +2 |

A young woman with extremely fair skin, long red flowing hair and piercing green eyes is the next to arrive. Dressed in a long forest green robe with the hood currently draped down over her back, she seems to radiate a dark energy despite her youthful and attractive appearance. A large raven sits perched on her shoulder.

She looks around the group quietly ignoring the food and then takes a seat, opening up an ancient looking book and staring to read.


Male Raven 10 | HP: 28/28 | AC: 19 (23 Mage Armor) | T: 14| FF: 17 (21 Mage Armor) | CMD: 10| Fort: +2 | Ref: +5 | Will: +9| Will: +8 | Init: +2 | Perc: +21 (lowlight) | Sense Motive: +2 |

The raven takes a few moments to watch the goings on, becoming noticeably restless as the food continues to disappear in steady stream out towards the big hippo.

He suddenly fliees off the young witch's shoulder and starts flapping around the head of the big beast, trying to pluck bits of fruit and small nuts from the ground before they get completely devoured. "CAAAAAAWW! Leave some for me! CAAAAAAWWW!"

Grand Lodge

What Prestige Is Worth | Cultist’s Kiss

Venture-Captain Sheila Heidmarch gracefully enters the room and begins the brief.

"Loyal Pathfinders," the deep-voiced Lady Heidmarch says from the end of the long dining table, "our colleagues in Absalom are putting pressure on me to find out more about the forgotten goddess Lissala and her worshipers. We have searched catacombs and livraires for artifiacts and accounts of the faith for centuries, but now that we know the cult is still active here in Varisia, this has become a priority for the Ten.

"One of my agents claimed she had uncovered an active cult of Lissala practicing their rites in Palin's Cove, a few days ride from Korvosa. If she's correct, this would be an unusual opportunity for us...we could study the goddess and her faith firsthand instead of piecing together information from disparate runes and legends hidden in the dust of a crumbled empire. Find this cult and get to the center of its inner workings. Brute force might get you in the door, but we won't learn much from a bunch of dead cultists, so infiltrate it if you can. Learn what secrets you can, and get out safely to report your findings to me. I want to know how Lissala's faith has survived 10 millenia undetected, and what foul plan they're concocting that has precipitated their resurgence all of a sudden.

"I have a man in Palin's Cove by the name of Gerhart Aldrim. He has arranged lodging and cover identities for you if you need them. Aldrim will expect you at the Baited Hood Inn within the week, and can answer any questions you might have about your mission. Oh, and one last thing: The agent who uncovered the cult has not reported back in some time. So be careful. Losing one Pathfinder is misfortune; losing an entire team would seem like carelessness."

The Exchange

Human Waves Oracle 1 / Marid Sorcerer 7 [HP 67/52 | AC 11(15)/11/10(14) | F+6 R+5 W+9 | Init +1 Perc +3 SM +10]
Spell tracker:
Oracle 1: 5/5 remaining, Sorc 1: 3/8 remaining, Sorc 2: 5/8 remaining, Sorc 3: 5/5 remaining

Knowledge, Local - Palin's Cove: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8
Knowledge, Religion - Lissala: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17

"Ah, you can be assured, I will have the utmost discretion. I'm certain I can talk my way in. If there's a secret of the cult to be had, I'm sure we can uncover it." Darla slithers back around his shoulders and then the snake simply seems to fade, becoming a green tattoo across his collarbone.

Grand Lodge

What Prestige Is Worth | Cultist’s Kiss

Lady Heidmarch smiles. "Very good, Teric, that's what I like to hear. Then gather what you need and report directly to Gerhart at the Baited Hood Inn in Palin's Cove. As I've said, he can answer the rest of your questions far better than I..."

Teric recalls the general location of Palin's Cove but not much more. He also recalls that Lissala was an ancient religion of Azlant and Thassilon; its more modern day followers slant heavily towards evil...

Liberty's Edge

active effects:
longstrider, barkskin, feather step, spider climb, GMF, resist fire 20
more effects:
tiger focus (+2 dex), shield, death ward
Male Half Orc (Mwangi heritage) Barbarian (scarred rager) 3 / Hunter 7 | current AC30 T 14 FF 27 | HP 81/81 [81/81] | F +13 R +11 W +9 (+2 Fort and Will in rage) | CMD 25 | CMB +12| Init +2 | Perc +16 dv 60' | Rage (14/16) | Animal focus (4/7) | Spells (-, 2/5, 1/4, 12/2)

"Kiboko and Mvumbu have encountered Lissalan cultists once before. A mage, who conjured allies and enslaved the weak-willed. It is not seemly to seek to infiltrate this cult. It should be crushed. But Kiboko understands the benefits of knowing his enemy. Kiboko is a practiced hunter, and can go as quietly as a jungle cat."

The massive warrior does nothing to disguise his disgust at the prospects of the mission.

"Kiboko will discover what this cult is doing in Palin's Cove."

I have a couple of purchases to make. 2PP for a scroll of 2x greater magic fang, and 150gp for a scroll of Reduce Animal.

Dark Archive

HP:12+74/74 | AC: 21 (15T/16FF) | Fort +11, Ref +14, Will +8 | Initiative: +11 | Perception +36 +1d6 (+2 vs traps) Trap Spotter 10' | Sense Motive +25 +1d6 | BUFFS: Clear Ear, Bloodboil Pill

Local- Palin's Cove: 1d20 + 22 + 1d6 ⇒ (18) + 22 + (4) = 44
Religion- Lissala: 1d20 + 22 + 1d6 ⇒ (17) + 22 + (5) = 44

"Do you have descriptions or other way to identify either of the contacts you mentioned? It may help to avoid confusion later."

Grand Lodge

What Prestige Is Worth | Cultist’s Kiss

Fendel knows the exact location of Palin's Cove in Varisia, on the northern side of the Falcon River...

He also knows a little more about the Lissalan religion. It originated in Azlant but became more prevalent powerful within the Thassilonian Empire. It celebrated veneration of sign and the immense power of its depravity drove the empire to great heights before the meteor shower brought about Thassilon's destruction, and the Lissalans went into hiding...

Fendel, CSI: Absalom wrote:
"Do you have descriptions or other way to identify either of the contacts you mentioned? It may help to avoid confusion later."

Lady Heidmarch nods. "Of course. Gerhart is easily recognizable; he was a tall man once, but in his old age, he now walks with a stoop. He is missing much of the right side of his face, and most of his right arm...

"As for the agent I mentioned, Charito Menas, she is a lovely, but arrogant, young lady...and she does not like me much. She has stark black, flowing hair, and pristine blue eyes..."

She pauses before continuing. "That's really all I can tell you...Gerhart has feet and eyes in Palin's cove and can tell you more in detail..."

Liberty's Edge

active effects:
longstrider, barkskin, feather step, spider climb, GMF, resist fire 20
more effects:
tiger focus (+2 dex), shield, death ward
Male Half Orc (Mwangi heritage) Barbarian (scarred rager) 3 / Hunter 7 | current AC30 T 14 FF 27 | HP 81/81 [81/81] | F +13 R +11 W +9 (+2 Fort and Will in rage) | CMD 25 | CMB +12| Init +2 | Perc +16 dv 60' | Rage (14/16) | Animal focus (4/7) | Spells (-, 2/5, 1/4, 12/2)

"Kiboko has a question for you, Venture-Captain. If these cultists attack us and we are forced to destroy them, would you consider that a mission failure? Even if we are still able to learn what their purpose is somehow?"

Grand Lodge

What Prestige Is Worth | Cultist’s Kiss

Lady Heidmarch shakes her head vehemently. "Absolutely not! If you are attacked, you are to defend yourselves! I'll take the life of a Pathfinder over the life of cultist any day. Find out what you can, but come back alive!"

Grand Lodge

m human (tien-dan) summoner (pre-unchained)/10 [hp: 73/73] [init: +2; perc:+0] [ac: 15+ /15/13+) (see below)] [saves: 7/8/9(see below)] [CMB: 7/CMD: 22(20)] [current conditions: Mage Armor]

Jing Kwan stands silently in the corner taking notes. Tiny stands behind him, looking over Jing Kwan's shoulder, nodding as the Tien-Dan man writes, but not quite fully understanding it.

"Besides our Wayfinders, do we need anything to give to Gerhart and/or Charito Menas in order to identify ourselves? Letter, password, etc.?"

Grand Lodge

What Prestige Is Worth | Cultist’s Kiss

The Lady shakes her head in the negative. "I've told him to expect you and given names and descriptions. As diverse a team as you are, I'm sure he'll know you on sight..."

The Concordance

Female Human Witch 10 | HP: 56/56 | AC: 18 (21 Mage Armor) | T: 15| FF: 15 (Mage Armor)| CMD: 20| Fort: +6 | Ref: +8| Will: +9 | Init: +9 | Perc: +12 | Sense Motive: +2 |

Seldanna also scribbles notes in her journal as the briefing continues, not speaking up with any further questions.


Male Raven 10 | HP: 28/28 | AC: 19 (23 Mage Armor) | T: 14| FF: 17 (21 Mage Armor) | CMD: 10| Fort: +2 | Ref: +5 | Will: +9| Will: +8 | Init: +2 | Perc: +21 (lowlight) | Sense Motive: +2 |

Lonan manages to sneak a piece of banana from the big hippo, flying it back across to his perch on Seldanna's shoulder. Between mouthful he utters one simple question. "CAAAAAAW! We leaving soon?"

Silver Crusade

Female LG Gnome Paladin of Erastil/Life Oracle 6/4 | HP 80 | AC 28 T 13 FF 27 | CMB +12, CMD 24 | F: +15, R: +11, W: +14; +2 vs. illusions, death, and haunts | Init: +1 | Perc: +0, SM: -2, Low-Light Vision, Darkvision, blind past 60 feet, +2 on skill checks to notice a haunt | Speed 15ft | Active conditions: Life Link on 4 of the party. Probably wand of shield for +4 AC.

The pretty, blue haired, heavily armed and armored gnome is only slightly surprised to see Mvumbu inside the building. She smiles to herself, that man brings his dear hippo with him everywhere. No point in leaving Sèriè out of it! She leaves and returns with an armored reindeer.

She makes friendly small talk with the other Pathfinders as she waits, building a sense of camaraderie and community between them with her words and questions.

--

She purses her lips at the sound of the Lissalan Cultists, and nods, face troubled, at the mention of subterfuge. "I have dealt with this cult before. Deception is not my normal approach, but like Kiboko I think I can find a suitable way to perform this kind of... reconnaissance."

Quiella has played most of the season 4 scenarios, which means I think she's dealt with the cult on multiple occasions

Liberty's Edge

active effects:
longstrider, barkskin, feather step, spider climb, GMF, resist fire 20
more effects:
tiger focus (+2 dex), shield, death ward
Male Half Orc (Mwangi heritage) Barbarian (scarred rager) 3 / Hunter 7 | current AC30 T 14 FF 27 | HP 81/81 [81/81] | F +13 R +11 W +9 (+2 Fort and Will in rage) | CMD 25 | CMB +12| Init +2 | Perc +16 dv 60' | Rage (14/16) | Animal focus (4/7) | Spells (-, 2/5, 1/4, 12/2)

Kiboko looks down at the raven. "Crow. If you want Mvumbu to share then do something for her. You can perch atop her back and pick ticks off her skin. She likes that. And you get to eat the ticks too!"

The Concordance

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Human Witch 10 | HP: 56/56 | AC: 18 (21 Mage Armor) | T: 15| FF: 15 (Mage Armor)| CMD: 20| Fort: +6 | Ref: +8| Will: +9 | Init: +9 | Perc: +12 | Sense Motive: +2 |

Lonan lets out a startled sqwawk at Kiboko's suggestion, turning to look in dismay at his mistress before whispering something into Seldanna's ear.

With a huff, the young red-headed witch looks up from her book and passes on her familiar's message. "He's not usually short for words himself, but he says that if you spread a bit of that chutney over there on your beast's back to spice up the ticks...then you've got a deal!"


active effects:
bull focus
F Hippopotamus 9HD, animal companion (lvl 10)| current AC 28 T 10 FF 27 | HP [76/76] 76/76 | F +10 R +8 W +5; +2 vs nonmagical disease; +1 vs fear; +2 vs haunts; devotion; evasion | Init +1 | Perc +7 lowlight vision, scent

"Haarrrr!!! Haaarrrr!!!!"

Mvumbu reacts to Seldanna's suggestion... or perhaps being described as a 'beast.'

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
active effects:
longstrider, barkskin, feather step, spider climb, GMF, resist fire 20
more effects:
tiger focus (+2 dex), shield, death ward
Male Half Orc (Mwangi heritage) Barbarian (scarred rager) 3 / Hunter 7 | current AC30 T 14 FF 27 | HP 81/81 [81/81] | F +13 R +11 W +9 (+2 Fort and Will in rage) | CMD 25 | CMB +12| Init +2 | Perc +16 dv 60' | Rage (14/16) | Animal focus (4/7) | Spells (-, 2/5, 1/4, 12/2)

"Mvumbu the Wise and Beautiful is no 'beast', human. She is as sentient as you are, and is Kiboko's dearest friend. Mvumbu is not a platter."

Kiboko, so saying, takes a pot of chutney and places it besides the witch and her familiar. "Dip."

Grand Lodge

What Prestige Is Worth | Cultist’s Kiss

When you are ready, Lady Heidmarch bids you farewell and arranges for your travel to Palin's Cove. Your journey there is uneventful and you arrive around noon time...

Upon arrival, there's no need to ask directions, as the Baited Hook Inn is clearly visible from where your ship docked. You promptly head there...

Upon entering the front room, you see a moderately busy bar/eating area, mostly sailors. In the back, you notice a stooped over man rise, and wave you over with his left arm as it's the only one he has. When you get to the table, you notice half of his face is scarred beyond recognition. He smiles and greets you, sitting down and offering you to sit with him...

"Eh watched from afar when Eh heard a ship was coming in...Eh thought it might be ye. Eh be Gerhart Aldrim...but from my handsome appearance, which I'm sure Lady Heidmarch told ye of, ye already know that. Welcome to Palin's Cove. Eh've set ye up rooms here in de inn...but Eh'm afraid the hippo and the reindeer will be to heavy for de stairs here...so I've got dem a couple of stalls reserved in de stable...

"This be the Baited Hook Inn...the drinks are strong, the company uncouth, and the fried fish as fresh as it comes. Eh'm sure ye have some questions, Eh'll do me best to answer..."

You ask the first questions that come to mind...

These are by no means the only questions you may ask but they're part of the hook into the mission...

What's going on around Palin's Cove?:
"Two things are constant here: the smoke from the furnace s and the clanging of the forges . This town was built to withstand sieges, but now it fuels them. The factories make siege engine s here for Korvosa and anyone else who can afford the goods. Ballistae, trebuchets, worse things I'd never heard of and hope never to see used. Palin's Cove will never see all the blood their machines spill, but they get something almost as bad: the gritty soot here that gets into everything. Rich folk make their servants work themselves to death trying to keep the dust out. Poor folk don't even bother trying. The soot gets in the air, in the food-you should hear the workers cough. The worst is when it rains, and the thick, ashy fog hangs s o heavy you can hardly see the sky. Hell of a place to retire. At least the sea's still beautiful as ever."

What happened to the last Pathfinder sent to investigate the cult?:
"Charito Menas, her name was . Taldan, lovely to look at, but arrogant as the hosts of Hell. She didn't like me much. Never told me much about where she was going, who she was talking to, or what she found out. Then one night she didn't come back. Guess whatever she was looking for found her first. Not my fault I had no idea where to look for her. Frankly, I didn't like her enough to risk my good arm poking around where I 'm not wanted."

What do you know about the cult of Lissala?:
"Charito didn't tell me much, but I know she found something. I think she called them the 'Heart Eaters' or something like that. I'd never heard of them, and I've lived here going on ten years now. If this cult of hers is real, they're hidden well. Then again, I don't get out too much these days. Whoever she talked to must be out there s omewhere. It can't hurt to ask around."

What's this about a cover identity?:
"Sheila thought a bunch of Pathfinders asking questions might put the cult on its guard. We put together a different story, if you want it. One of you will be Avis Dimitrov, from the Dimitrov family in Korvosa. Dimitrov seeks depraved pleasures and mystic enlightenment. Rich, amoral, and not too bright-the kind of folk any mad sect would be happy to have aboard. The rest of you can pose as Dimitrov's bodyguards, servants, advisors, and hangers - on. I have some fancy clothes to make you look the part, and a letter of introduction from a Korvo san wizard who was born here. No skin off my nose what you do with this ; Sheila told me to get it ready and she's not one to be lightly refused."

(Adopting the cover identity and dressing the part grants a +4 circumstance bonus on Disguise checks and a +2 circumstance bonus on Bluff checks whenever pretending to be Dimitrov would be helpful.)

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Human Waves Oracle 1 / Marid Sorcerer 7 [HP 67/52 | AC 11(15)/11/10(14) | F+6 R+5 W+9 | Init +1 Perc +3 SM +10]
Spell tracker:
Oracle 1: 5/5 remaining, Sorc 1: 3/8 remaining, Sorc 2: 5/8 remaining, Sorc 3: 5/5 remaining

"Korsova?!" Teric laughs. "I spent several years in Korsova and I have multiple business interests there! In fact, we just begin a contract to bring stone from Janderhoff into the city, and I have a longstanding agreement to bring Tian spices in through Riddleport along with fresh fish from there. Half the Tian restaurants in the city owe their livelihood to me!"

He turns to the others. "If you'll allow, I would be very well suited for this little charade. And I think each of you could find a place in my retinue. Bodyguards, of course, but also a personal aide or steward, a master huntsman or marshal, and a chaplain." The Varasian rubs his hands together, clearly intrigued with this falsehood.

"Now, what did Charito mean about 'Heart-eaters"? A figure of speech or some ghastly rite they do?"

Liberty's Edge

active effects:
longstrider, barkskin, feather step, spider climb, GMF, resist fire 20
more effects:
tiger focus (+2 dex), shield, death ward
Male Half Orc (Mwangi heritage) Barbarian (scarred rager) 3 / Hunter 7 | current AC30 T 14 FF 27 | HP 81/81 [81/81] | F +13 R +11 W +9 (+2 Fort and Will in rage) | CMD 25 | CMB +12| Init +2 | Perc +16 dv 60' | Rage (14/16) | Animal focus (4/7) | Spells (-, 2/5, 1/4, 12/2)

"Kiboko agrees, Teric is well-fitted to the ruse. Kiboko volunteers to act as Huntsmaster."

"Gerhart: this cult is located here? In this disgusting pit of civilisation? It would be better to expunge the entirety of Palin's Cove. Kiboko feels the corruption already."

The giant half-orc spits out a black mess from inhaling the sooty air. He pulls a large bone from his pack and chews on it, sharpening his tusks.

Grand Lodge

What Prestige Is Worth | Cultist’s Kiss
Teric Cain wrote:
"Now, what did Charito mean about 'Heart-eaters"? A figure of speech or some ghastly rite they do?"

"Me not be knowin' laddie...ye're guess be as good as mine...but if Eh was a wagerin', Eh'd go with the latter..."

Kiboko wrote:
"Gerhart: this cult is located here? In this disgusting pit of civilisation? It would be better to expunge the entirety of Palin's Cove. Kiboko feels the corruption already."

"HA! Ferst time Eh be hearin' Palin's Cove described thet way...Eh guess ye prefer that tiny town of Magnimar ye met at afore comin' here? Or perhaps dat little village of Absalom where ye Pathfinders be based? Eh prefer here to either of those, thank ye...

"As for de cult, as Eh sed before, Eh've seen no signs of it...but since Charito went a missin', Eh be guessin' dere be somethin' to it..."

Dark Archive

HP:12+74/74 | AC: 21 (15T/16FF) | Fort +11, Ref +14, Will +8 | Initiative: +11 | Perception +36 +1d6 (+2 vs traps) Trap Spotter 10' | Sense Motive +25 +1d6 | BUFFS: Clear Ear, Bloodboil Pill

The detective asks, "Do you know where Charito resided before her disappearance? She may have left notes or mayhaps there are clues to her silence."

Silver Crusade

Female LG Gnome Paladin of Erastil/Life Oracle 6/4 | HP 80 | AC 28 T 13 FF 27 | CMB +12, CMD 24 | F: +15, R: +11, W: +14; +2 vs. illusions, death, and haunts | Init: +1 | Perc: +0, SM: -2, Low-Light Vision, Darkvision, blind past 60 feet, +2 on skill checks to notice a haunt | Speed 15ft | Active conditions: Life Link on 4 of the party. Probably wand of shield for +4 AC.

"How long has Palin's Cove been around? And how long has it been full of soot and noise?"

"This seems like an odd place for a cult to be doing research and rituals. Maybe something from the past can explain it?"

is this place truly bigger than Absalom?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Raven 10 | HP: 28/28 | AC: 19 (23 Mage Armor) | T: 14| FF: 17 (21 Mage Armor) | CMD: 10| Fort: +2 | Ref: +5 | Will: +9| Will: +8 | Init: +2 | Perc: +21 (lowlight) | Sense Motive: +2 |

As they arrive at the inn and Mvumbu gets dispatched off to the stables, Lonan hops off the big hippo's back. Before he flies over to his mistress once more, he reaches down to pick off one last tick for good measure, using it to wipe up the last dregs of chutney from the bowl resting in the middle of Mvumbu's wide shoulders.

"CAAAAAW! See you for breakfast! CAAAAW!" he calls back to his new friend as he flies back to the witch.

The Concordance

Female Human Witch 10 | HP: 56/56 | AC: 18 (21 Mage Armor) | T: 15| FF: 15 (Mage Armor)| CMD: 20| Fort: +6 | Ref: +8| Will: +9 | Init: +9 | Perc: +12 | Sense Motive: +2 |

Seldanna listens along to the plan, nodding her agreement. "The disguises sound wise. I'll happily take the part of an advisor to our new 'Dimitrov' here." She reaches up to extract one of Lonan's claws from the exposed skin at the base of her neck. "Oh, and as for Lonan well he's perfectly placed to be a 'hanger on'. He doesn't even need a disguise!"

Grand Lodge

What Prestige Is Worth | Cultist’s Kiss

Excuse a gaffe of mine...while Gerhart has arranged quarters for you, I misread. You will be using his home as a base for your operations instead of the inn. Sorry, 'bout that.

Fendel, CSI: Absalom wrote:
The detective asks, "Do you know where Charito resided before her disappearance? She may have left notes or mayhaps there are clues to her silence."

"Nay, laddie, Eh be not knowin' that...she be a secretive one and, as I sed, she be not likin' me...ye might ask around though..."

Quiella wrote:
"How long has Palin's Cove been around? And how long has it been full of soot and noise?"

"Eh be not knowin' much of its history, but a long time, lass. It be a naval garrison for a while, before it expanded became a settlement; de soot came 'bout wit de industry...and de noise from de industry and it be a sailor's town..."

Quiella wrote:
"This seems like an odd place for a cult to be doing research and rituals. Maybe something from the past can explain it?"

"Aye, ye have de rights of it, odd indeed...as I sed, I know nuthin' of dis cult...so if it be 'round dat long, it can keep secrets well..."

Quiella wrote:
is this place truly bigger than Absalom?

No, it's designated as a large town of 2,000+. Gerhart was just being facetious when Kiboko described it as a 'disgusting pit of civilisation'.

Gerhart sighs. "Well, if ye have no more questions at de moment, Eh'd better show you to your quarters. Ye'll be a stayin' wit me in me home while ye be here...it be a bit cramped, but dere be enuff room fer ye to sleep and cook modest meals if ye wish. Gather yere gear and follow me...it be on de udder side of town, so I can give ye a tour of de town on de way...and point out landmarks and such dat might help ye..."

Link below is a map with a key to the places you may visit as part of your investigation. Gerhart will point them out to you as you journey to his home, marked with a 'K' on the map...you may still ask him questions on the way there. The key is to the right of the map; let me know if you cannot see it.

Palin's Cove Map

The Exchange

Human Waves Oracle 1 / Marid Sorcerer 7 [HP 67/52 | AC 11(15)/11/10(14) | F+6 R+5 W+9 | Init +1 Perc +3 SM +10]
Spell tracker:
Oracle 1: 5/5 remaining, Sorc 1: 3/8 remaining, Sorc 2: 5/8 remaining, Sorc 3: 5/5 remaining

Teric looks around as they make their way to Gerhart's home. He pays special attention to the various siege factories. If the cult was in Palin's Cove for a reason, it might have something to do with the siege production.

Silver Crusade

Female LG Gnome Paladin of Erastil/Life Oracle 6/4 | HP 80 | AC 28 T 13 FF 27 | CMB +12, CMD 24 | F: +15, R: +11, W: +14; +2 vs. illusions, death, and haunts | Init: +1 | Perc: +0, SM: -2, Low-Light Vision, Darkvision, blind past 60 feet, +2 on skill checks to notice a haunt | Speed 15ft | Active conditions: Life Link on 4 of the party. Probably wand of shield for +4 AC.

Right off the bat that lighthouse looks super suspicious to me as a *player*.

Quiella gives the lighthouse an odd look as she sees it poking over the wall, but then loses sight of it behind a building.

Once at the man's house, she thanks him for letting them stay. "Let's get started."

let's go clockwise from his house, starting with the the fortress. Saving the lighthouse for last

By the way, Sèriè is only a medium creature.

Liberty's Edge

active effects:
longstrider, barkskin, feather step, spider climb, GMF, resist fire 20
more effects:
tiger focus (+2 dex), shield, death ward
Male Half Orc (Mwangi heritage) Barbarian (scarred rager) 3 / Hunter 7 | current AC30 T 14 FF 27 | HP 81/81 [81/81] | F +13 R +11 W +9 (+2 Fort and Will in rage) | CMD 25 | CMB +12| Init +2 | Perc +16 dv 60' | Rage (14/16) | Animal focus (4/7) | Spells (-, 2/5, 1/4, 12/2)

"Looks like factories and large houses, in the main. Who do these estates belong to, Gerhart? What interests do the owners have in Palin's Cove?"

For a cult to remain hidden here so long it must have members, or at least allies, amongst the town's elite. This whole place disgusts Kiboko.

Grand Lodge

What Prestige Is Worth | Cultist’s Kiss

Gerhart gives Kiboko a nod. "Ye have a sharp eye, laddie. De folk who live in de manors be de Rumalins, Dunstones, Taliches, and de Ireni; dey own and be running de Catapult, Ammunition, Foundry, and Ballistae factories, in dat order. De Trebuchet factory be run by the Hornes but it be closed...and de Hornes be de only industry owning family not livin' in a manor here in de city..."

You soon arrive at his modest home. "Well here we be...mek yeself at home. When ye stay here, yer hippo and reindeer maybe more comfortable in stable in de back as dere be plenty of room for them to stretch out..."

The Exchange

Human Waves Oracle 1 / Marid Sorcerer 7 [HP 67/52 | AC 11(15)/11/10(14) | F+6 R+5 W+9 | Init +1 Perc +3 SM +10]
Spell tracker:
Oracle 1: 5/5 remaining, Sorc 1: 3/8 remaining, Sorc 2: 5/8 remaining, Sorc 3: 5/5 remaining

Teric takes out a notebook and jots some of the details down. "Interesting. Where do the Hornes live? Is there a reason they do not live in the city? And do you think the families would expect a man like Avis Dimitrov to pay them any visits? If we can speak to some of them, they might have an idea about the Cult."

Grand Lodge

What Prestige Is Worth | Cultist’s Kiss
Teric Cain wrote:
"Interesting. Where do the Hornes live? Is there a reason they do not live in the city?"

"The Horne family be living several miles upriver in a large estate...dey be avid hunters and there be endless hunting opportunities dere…"

Teric Cain wrote:
"And do you think the families would expect a man like Avis Dimitrov to pay them any visits? If we can speak to some of them, they might have an idea about the Cult."

"Mebbe so, mebbe not...de Dimitrov family is known here though and de families here do be tryin' to observe de social graces, so won't hurt a tryin'. De main reason de Lady set you up wit dat ID though is she be feelin' dat de cult be more willin' to recruit dat type..."

Dark Archive

HP:12+74/74 | AC: 21 (15T/16FF) | Fort +11, Ref +14, Will +8 | Initiative: +11 | Perception +36 +1d6 (+2 vs traps) Trap Spotter 10' | Sense Motive +25 +1d6 | BUFFS: Clear Ear, Bloodboil Pill

Looking out the window, the detective joins in the conversation. "How long have the doors to the trebuchet factory been shuttered? If the family is still in the vicinity and the other war making manufactures are still in operation, it is odd that they have ceased production. Or has there been some tragedy in the recent past?"

1 to 50 of 359 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Otha’s The Cultist’s Kiss (Outpost III) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.