DM Brainiac's Age of Ashes

Game Master Brainiac

Current Date: 4 Arodus, 4719 AR

Map of Breachill
Battle Maps on Google Slides


801 to 850 of 880 << first < prev | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | next > last >>

Razortooth Goblin Thief 2 | HP: 19/28 | AC: 19 | F: +6, R: +10, W: +5 | Perc +5| Speed 25ft| Active Conditions: N/A

"It seems to Gull Peeper things here will wait for us."


Female Gnome Monk 4 | HP 27/52 | AC 21 | Fort +9 Ref +11 Will +10 | Perc +8 | Ki 2/2 | Hero 2/3

"I don't want to have to babysit her and our current priority is to return her to the proper authorities," Pril says with a nod. "We need to take her back to town before we explore any further here."


You march back to Breachill, Voz and the captive half-orcs in tow. It is late at night by the time you arrive, but the guards on watch are all too happy to take the prisoners into custody. They promise to make arrangements to reward you the bounty for the Bloody Blades, and Voz will be held to await trial for her crimes.

You settle down to rest, feeling stronger and more confident in your abilities.

Everybody has gained enough XP to reach level 4!

Inquiring about somebody in town who speaks Necril will direct you to the town's mortician, Morta Valaskin of Morta's Mortuary.


Female Gnome Monk 4 | HP 27/52 | AC 21 | Fort +9 Ref +11 Will +10 | Perc +8 | Ki 2/2 | Hero 2/3

Pril seeks out the mortician with Voz's journal in hand.

"Excuse me, Ms. Valaskin? We were told that you would have the ability to translate this," the gnome says, holding up the item in question. "It's on official council business, so we're hoping that it could be done sooner rather than later."

She smiles at the woman innocently.

Dark Archive

Male Medium Human Cleric 4 | HP: 29/29 | AC: 13/13 | F: +7, R: +9, W: +12 | Dec +9, Dip +9, Itm +9, Lore +8, Med +10, Per +12, Perf +9, Rel +12, Soc +8| Speed 25ft | Focus 1/1, D Font 3/4, Wand 1/1| 1st: Bless, Bless, Magic Weapon, 2nd: Dispel, Dispel, Sound Burst| Active Conditions:

The Cardinal goes with Pril to get the journal translated, lending a certain gravitas to offset the gnome's general... energy.


Female Gnome Monk 4 | HP 27/52 | AC 21 | Fort +9 Ref +11 Will +10 | Perc +8 | Ki 2/2 | Hero 2/3

Are you suggesting that people might not take her seriously? ;)


Morta's Mortuary is an imposing, black-painted building with heavy onyx-colored curtains. Various images of psychopomps--particularly the birdlike nosoi--decorate the mortuary in the form of paintings, sconces, floor statues, and the like. It serves as the home and place of business for Morta Valaskin, an eccentric woman whose daily fashions include elaborate mourning gowns, gauzy black veils, and elbow-length satin gloves.

"Pril Piddwiemog! A pleasure to make your formal acquaintance," Morta says, offering her hand. "I hope your dinner date with Allandir went well? He's always been a somewhat somber fellow, but damn if he doesn't strike a dashing figure in those leathers of his! And Cardinal-Banker d'Borja, good day to you as well. How is Druma this time of year?"

When presented with Voz's journal, the mortician thumbs through it. "Ah, Necril. The language of the undead. Pharasma frowns upon those abominations in all shapes, of course, but it is important to know your enemy, that you might combat it. I would be happy to translate this journal for you. Have a seat, and I'll put some tea on! We'll see what secrets this folio might contain."

Once translated, the journal’s contents are mostly about Voz’s plans for an assassin’s guild and necromancer’s school, but several pages near the back contain her research and notes about Alseta’s Ring. The bulk of the information comes from old reports from the time of the Goblinblood Wars, when a group of soldiers confronted a clan of goblins who’d taken up residence in a series of caves near Breachill. These reports indicated that at the deepest portion of the caves, an entrance into a much older ruin that the goblins feared to enter was discovered. The soldiers explored a bit further, discovered a “ring of strange archways,” but were ultimately driven away by powerful animated statues that “emerged from nearby doors” to attack.

Voz’s additional research, which includes copious notes on the necromantic ritual she performed recently to interrogate the spirits of the dead in the crypt below Citadel Altaerein, seem to confirm her theories that this ring of portals is an ancient elven ruin called Alseta’s Ring. Her research suggests that Alseta’s Ring was among the first of the aiudara— ancient portals created by the elves before Earthfall— and that the six portals that made up the ring linked six different sites. One of these she has confirmed as having once linked to Kyonin, but this section of Alseta’s Ring has fallen into ruin and now leads to the goblin caves (providing a back door into the dungeons below Citadel Altaerein), but observations from soldiers in the Goblinblood Wars suggested the other five portals still stood at that time. Voz’s research indicates that for a portal to be activated, a key item has to be used. Where the remaining five portals might lead and what keys are required to activate them, alas, Voz has not yet been able to determine, but in her notes she is optimistic that, once she secures the site and has the chance to study the portals in person, clues as to their function will present themselves.

The final few pages of the journal cover Voz’s last several days spent exploring the caverns between here and the deeper Goblinblood Caves she suspects links to Alseta’s Ring itself. These notes confirm what she told you about fighting against vermin and being turned away by a woman that could manipulate spiders.


Female Gnome Monk 4 | HP 27/52 | AC 21 | Fort +9 Ref +11 Will +10 | Perc +8 | Ki 2/2 | Hero 2/3

Pinking slightly that this woman knew that much about her personal life, Pril still takes a seat and a cuppa.

"'Animated Statues'? Those could be ... interesting," the gnome says with a frown as that portion is revealed.

"A woman that controls spiders. Well, if she speaks Common, maybe we can work out a deal with her." Pril hops down from her stool.

"Thank you very much, Ms. Valaskin," she says, extending her hand. "We really appreciate your assistance. If there's anything we can do for you in the future, please let us know."

~~~~

Back out the next morning?


Morta shakes Pril's hand. "My pleasure! I hope you will not have need of the, er, 'standard' services I offer, but feel free to stop by any time to catch up on the hottest gossip around town! I absolutely live for the stuff!"


Female Gnome Monk 4 | HP 27/52 | AC 21 | Fort +9 Ref +11 Will +10 | Perc +8 | Ki 2/2 | Hero 2/3

Once they leave the mortuary, Pril whispers to Lucius, "I was thinking about inviting Allandír to dinner tonight, but with that woman talking about every little thing we're doing, I'm not sure I want to give her something else to wag her tongue about. It's none of her business."

Dark Archive

Male Medium Human Cleric 4 | HP: 29/29 | AC: 13/13 | F: +7, R: +9, W: +12 | Dec +9, Dip +9, Itm +9, Lore +8, Med +10, Per +12, Perf +9, Rel +12, Soc +8| Speed 25ft | Focus 1/1, D Font 3/4, Wand 1/1| 1st: Bless, Bless, Magic Weapon, 2nd: Dispel, Dispel, Sound Burst| Active Conditions:

"I'm sure he could be discrete if he chooses." The Cardinal replies equally quietly. "Her tongue will wag no matter what, do not let it concern you overmuch."

He speaks with the air of a man who has heard a lot of tongue wagging in his time.


Male Elf (Woodland) Ranger (Precision) 4 I HP 10/46 I AC 21 I F: +8(E) R: +12(E) W: +9(E) I Perception +9(E), Low-light vision I Speed 35 ft I Conditions: None

Not being hugely interested in Necril, and having had rather more experience of morticians and burying the dead than he would like, Allandír does not attend Pril's questioning of the mortician.

Instead, he goes home and sees how the two pups have done in his absence. He is hoping that at least some of his furniture remains unshredded by their enthusiastic rough-housing. But really, seeing how happy they are together it's hard to be too cross with them.


Female Gnome Monk 4 | HP 27/52 | AC 21 | Fort +9 Ref +11 Will +10 | Perc +8 | Ki 2/2 | Hero 2/3

After talking with Lucius, Pril seems thoughtful. With the agreement to meet tomorrow morning to return to the caves, she takes her leave of the priest.

She wanders the town for a bit, spending some time near the river and the water fountains.

Eventually she makes her way to Allandír's house, tapping on his door nervously. When he finally answers, she seems nervous. "I don't know if you had plans tonight," she begins. "And if you'd rather do something else, that's fine, considering Ms. Valaskin seems to think it's her business who has dinner with whom, but ... um ... Would you like to have dinner with me again at the inn?"


Male Elf (Woodland) Ranger (Precision) 4 I HP 10/46 I AC 21 I F: +8(E) R: +12(E) W: +9(E) I Perception +9(E), Low-light vision I Speed 35 ft I Conditions: None

Allandír gives the gnome a smile: "Small-town life tends to be full of, ah, gossip. I find it best to ignore it and do as I please. And the thought of dinner with you pleases me." With a final admonition to the two rapidly-growing warglets to behave themselves in his absence, he puts on a cloak and joins Pril for a walk to the inn.


Female Gnome Monk 4 | HP 27/52 | AC 21 | Fort +9 Ref +11 Will +10 | Perc +8 | Ki 2/2 | Hero 2/3

Allandír:
As they walk towards the inn, Pril gives the tall elf a friendly shove with her shoulder.

"Now just so you know ... Just because this is the third date doesn't mean that you're going to get a kiss or ..." she says with a playful look up at him. "I know some gnomes have rules like that. 'Kiss on the third date', 'Groping on the forth date', 'Dwarf style on the sixth', you know, the standard stuff."

She looks thoughtful.

"Wait, or was it 'Dwarf style on the fifth' and 'Leather restraints on the sixth'? I don't remember. It's been a long time since I've dated. What are the rules for elves? Let me guess, they wait till like date twenty before they hold hands, right?"


Male Elf (Woodland) Ranger (Precision) 4 I HP 10/46 I AC 21 I F: +8(E) R: +12(E) W: +9(E) I Perception +9(E), Low-light vision I Speed 35 ft I Conditions: None

Pril:

The tall elf gives the gnome a sidelong glance. "Yes indeed, after all, Calistria is famous as the Elven goddess of chastity and moderation." He smiles. "As a rule, we tend not to have rules; except where strictly necessary. We have a proverb: each tree grows its own way."

Over dinner, he brings the conversation back to the book recovered from the necromancer: "Did our mortician - and resident gossip - have any light to shed on the matter?"


Female Gnome Monk 4 | HP 27/52 | AC 21 | Fort +9 Ref +11 Will +10 | Perc +8 | Ki 2/2 | Hero 2/3

Allandír:
"You're comparing me to a tree now?" Pril replies with a mock frown. "Is my butt really that big?" She looks back over her shoulder as if checking the view. "I try to keep in shape, but I haven't been doing as much walking as I normally do."

She looks back at the elf and gives him a wink.

"I guess I'll have to find some other activity to work off calories. Any ideas offhand?"

~~~

Once they reach the inn and the food arrives and her companion brings up the subject of Voz's journal...

"Bringing up work over dinner? Am I that uninteresting?" Pril says with a sigh. A moment later she smiles indicating that she's not really hurt - much.

She summarizes what Morta translated for them. "So if we really want to take advantage of these portals, we're going to need to find out what the keys are."


The next morning, you return to the caves behind Guardian's Way and make your way down the winding length of caverns that heads back toward Hellknight Hill. This long twisting tunnel is relatively safe for its length, apart from being completely dark. Along the way, you spot the dead bodies of giant spiders, centipedes, and other minor creatures. Here and there lie the broken remains of skeletons as well. You also pass less recent signs of goblin inhabitants who were chased off, leaving behind ruined stone huts and crumbling homes in which nothing of value or interest remains.

After a few hours, the tunnel opens wide into a sprawling cavern here, though it seems even more claustrophobic, for viscous spiderwebs crisscross nearly every inch of the place. Along the northern wall, several human-sized lumps in the webs are thickly wrapped in silk webbing, while the entire floor is covered in sticky goop.

As you are looking around, six giant hunting spiders leap down from their perches on the ceiling above. The clack their pedipalps menacingly as they advance!

Initiative:
Allandir: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22
Cardinal Lucius: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (1) + 12 = 13
Ervan: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14
Gull Peeper: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23
Nell: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25
Pril: 1d20 + 8 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 8 + 2 = 18
Spiders: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21

Allandir, Gull Peeper, and Nell may act! Map updated.

Any creature who ends their turn adjacent to a wall in the cavern must succeed at a DC 18 Reflex saving throw or spend an action on their next turn pulling themselves from the sticky webbing.


Male Elf (Woodland) Ranger (Precision) 4 I HP 10/46 I AC 21 I F: +8(E) R: +12(E) W: +9(E) I Perception +9(E), Low-light vision I Speed 35 ft I Conditions: None

Pril:

Allandír stops dead and gives Pril a mock-disbelieving look as the gnome asks if he's comparing her to a tree: "Okay, now you're just abusing the fact that I won't make a height joke at your expense..."

At the sight of the spiders, the elf draws back his bow and fires, Since spiders have more eyes than most, he's not short of vulnerable spots to aim at.

Hunted shot: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (20) + 10 = 30
Damage: 1d8 ⇒ 1
Precision: 1d8 ⇒ 6
Deadly: 1d10 ⇒ 5

Think that's 19 damage total

Hunted shot: 1d20 + 10 - 5 ⇒ (7) + 10 - 5 = 12
Damage: 1d8 ⇒ 5

Bruynarth rumbles forward and bites at the nearest spider.

Bite: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11
Damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11


Nell Attacks: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (19) + 12 = 31
Crit Damage: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8
Gull Attacks: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 241d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19
Damage, Sneak Attack: 1d6 + 4 + 1d6 ⇒ (3) + 4 + (6) = 131d4 + 4 + 1d6 ⇒ (2) + 4 + (3) = 9

Nell strides forward, cuts off one spider's head, then continues on to engage the next one. Gull Peeper pounces upon another, biting and stabbing it to death. Allandir drives an arrow into a third one's head, killing it, but his follow-up shot misses, as does Bruynarth's attack.

The bear's target retaliates, sinking its fangs into the beast several times, one of which is a critical hit! The other two try to gang up on Nell, biting her twice.

Fangs vs. Bruynarth: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 201d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 211d20 - 1 ⇒ (20) - 1 = 19
Damage (Normal, Normal, Crit): 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 61d6 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 41d6 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6
Fangs vs. Nell: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 231d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 221d20 - 1 ⇒ (7) - 1 = 61d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 131d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9
Damage: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 81d6 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8

22 damage to Bruynarth, 16 damage to Nell. Bruynarth must attempt three DC 16 Fortitude saves against poison. Nell must attempt two. These follow the rules for afflictions, as laid out here.

Hunting Spider Venom (poison):
Saving Throw Fortitude DC 16; Maximum Duration 6 rounds; Stage 1 1d10 poison and flat‑footed (1 round); Stage 2 1d12 poison, clumsy 1, and flat‑footed (1 round); Stage 3 2d6 poison, clumsy 2, and flat‑footed (1 round).

Everybody may act!


Female Gnome Monk 4 | HP 27/52 | AC 21 | Fort +9 Ref +11 Will +10 | Perc +8 | Ki 2/2 | Hero 2/3

Allandír:
Pril waves away the comment with her hand. "I know you too well now to know that you wouldn't joke about my height," she says casually. "My big butt and small boobs on the other hand ..." She gives the elf a warning glare.

~~~~

At dinner
"So, since we're now talking about work - although, I do think it's a waste with such a scrumptious package in front of you - do you think that there's a chance we'll find the deed to that place? If so, what would we do with it?"

Pril shifts her posture and moves to assist Nell.

{A} Assume Dragon Stance
{A} Stride

{A} Dragon Tail Attack: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11
Dragon Tail Damage - B: 1d10 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7


Male Elf (Woodland) Ranger (Precision) 4 I HP 10/46 I AC 21 I F: +8(E) R: +12(E) W: +9(E) I Perception +9(E), Low-light vision I Speed 35 ft I Conditions: None

Pril:

Allandír waves a hand airily at Pril's protestations. "Really, you have nothing to fear. I believe I have already pointed out that I am in no position to, ah, make remarks about other people's looks. I am nobody's idea of a picture - except, perhaps, in conjunction with the phrase Wanted: Dead or Alive." His lips twitch into the semblance of a smile.

He frowns thoughtfully at the gnome's questions regarding the title deed. "Honestly, I am not certain. When I arrived here two decades ago, I was not intending to stay this long... it simply, ah, happened. The town has been good to me and this is a peaceful place. The idea that not merely one but a, ah, multiplicity of aiudara are lurking nearby is almost certain to draw attention, welcome and... otherwise, as our resident necromancer has already proven."

The tall elf looks momentarily troubled. "If those of good intention do not secure the fortress and safeguard the aiudara from misuse, then I fear those of evil intent almost certainly will." His expression lightens. "Besides, who could turn down the prospect of exploring a network of elf-gates nobody has travelled for millenia? The Song of Spheres could not have given me a greater hint had she stencilled it on my forehead."

Allandír changes target to fire at another spider.

Hunted shot: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (6) + 11 = 17
Damage: 1d8 ⇒ 1

Hunted shot: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (7) + 11 = 18
Damage: 1d8 ⇒ 3

First attack that hits does 1d8 ⇒ 2 precision damage. Combine damage before applying Resistances

Bruynarth largely shakes off the poison that has entered his bloodstream; it does little more than drive him into a frenzy as the bear roars in anger, slashing at the nearest spider with claw and fang.

Fort save, Bruynarth: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28
Fort save, Bruynarth: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21
Fort save, Bruynarth: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9

Bite: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28
Damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

Claw: 1d20 + 9 - 4 ⇒ (12) + 9 - 4 = 17
Damage: 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8


Male Medium Human Wizard 4 | HP: 33/33 | AC: 19/19 | F: +8, R: +8, W: +8| Lore +10, Per +7, Nature/Society +10| Speed 25ft | Focus 1/1| 1st: Gust of Wind, Pest Form | Active Conditions:

Ervan strides forward and calls upon the arcane to aid him and his companions against the spidery menace!

[A1]Stride [A2+3] Electric Arc vs Red n Orange (vs DC 20 Reflex)
Electric Arc: 2d4 + 4 ⇒ (3, 3) + 4 = 10


Reflex: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 161d20 + 9 ⇒ (1) + 9 = 10
Nell Attacks: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (8) + 12 = 201d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 101d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7
Damage: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 51d8 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 71d8 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5
Nell Fortitude: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (2) + 10 = 121d20 + 10 ⇒ (5) + 10 = 15
Poison Damage Bruynarrh, Nell: 1d12 ⇒ 91d10 + 1d12 ⇒ (6) + (6) = 12

Ervan's spell instantly kills one spider and badly wounds the other. Nell finishes that one off with her blade, while Allandir and Bruynarth slay the final one. The spiders' venom injures the half-elf and the bear, but they fight it off relatively quickly.

Bruynarrh Fortitude: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 281d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13
Nell Fortitude: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (8) + 10 = 181d20 + 10 ⇒ (16) + 10 = 26
Damage: 1d10 ⇒ 6

9 damage to Bruynarth and 18 to Nell. Bruynarth is down 31 HP in total, and Nell is down 34.

When you investigate the human-sized lumps in the webs along the northern wall, you find that most of these sacs are full of rot and decay when punctured. However, one of the lumps reveals a recently deceased human adventurer whose body is desiccated beyond recognition but still intact. There is a magic scimitar on his body.

Identify Magic DC 20:
The weapon is a +1 striking scimitar.


Female Gnome Monk 4 | HP 27/52 | AC 21 | Fort +9 Ref +11 Will +10 | Perc +8 | Ki 2/2 | Hero 2/3

"It's looking less and less like we'll be able negotiate with this spider woman." Pril says with a frown. "If they're all this hostile."

She looks back and forth between the two different tunnels that exit the cave.

"How about this one?" she asks, gesturing towards the southern passage.


The gloom and tunnels snaking away from each end of this open cavern make it seem like merely a corridor rather than a proper chamber. Thick sheets of spiderwebs hang from the northern wall. Peering closer, you note that the sheets of spiderwebs along the north wall are in fact the walls of a cleverly disguised tent-like structure.

As you move closer to investigate, a striking dark-skinned woman emerges from the tent. She holds her hands up in a gesture of peace. "I am Renali. I mean you no harm if you can promise me likewise."


Male Medium Human Wizard 4 | HP: 33/33 | AC: 19/19 | F: +8, R: +8, W: +8| Lore +10, Per +7, Nature/Society +10| Speed 25ft | Focus 1/1| 1st: Gust of Wind, Pest Form | Active Conditions:

Lu - mind applying some Medicine skill checks to Mr. Bear and Nell? :D

The wizard regrets not having memorized any fire-related spells, but perhaps it is for the best. The smoke, after all, would drown out the cries of regret were he to set the webs on fire. "Greetings, Renali. My name is Ervan de Vobon, arcanamathician. We wish you no harm. Tell me, what brings a person, especially one as young as you, to live here in seclusion?!" The bewilderment in his voice isn't faked, but it is true that Ervan has an idea of what might be the answer: she's a priestess of sorts.


"I do not live here by choice, but because I have become trapped here, far from my home in the Mwangi jungles. I am an explorer and a naturalist. A few weeks ago, I happened upon a large force of boggards and charau-ka fiddling with a strange archway. I watched them activate a portal within and step through. I followed them, but my curiosity got the better of me when a second force damaged the portal during transit. I panicked and ran, finally locating a relatively safe spot in these caves to hide until I can figure out how to get back home."


Male Medium Human Wizard 4 | HP: 33/33 | AC: 19/19 | F: +8, R: +8, W: +8| Lore +10, Per +7, Nature/Society +10| Speed 25ft | Focus 1/1| 1st: Gust of Wind, Pest Form | Active Conditions:

"Charau-ka? I see. We have already encountered such creatures of Mwangi descent in the area, hence my rather calm reaction to your otherwise outrageous words. Oh, right, this area would be Isger: the place in between Andoran and Cheliax."


"Isger. Andoran. Cheliax," Renali repeats, seeming to test the words in her mouth. She cocks her head to the side in a jerky motion and steeples her fingers. "These places are not familiar to me. I must be far from home indeed."

She gestures to the tunnel to the east. "If you plan to proceed further, I advise caution. The cave beyond is home to a great goblin-wolf thing. Past that, you will find a ring of portals, including the one that I came through. The leader of the cult, a charau-ka named Malarunk, and his minions still linger there. They are trying to find a way to reactivate the gateway. While I desire to go through and get back home, I shudder to think of what might happen should they bring any more of their sinister allies to your home here. You must stop them at all costs."


Male Elf (Woodland) Ranger (Precision) 4 I HP 10/46 I AC 21 I F: +8(E) R: +12(E) W: +9(E) I Perception +9(E), Low-light vision I Speed 35 ft I Conditions: None

Allandír's eyes briefly light with a bale-green fire, but his voice remains soft. "I assure you ah, Renali, that I have no intention of letting cultists of any description misuse any of my people's aiudara. But let us not talk of 'at any cost.' Arrows are very cheap to purchase and make, after all."


Female Gnome Monk 4 | HP 27/52 | AC 21 | Fort +9 Ref +11 Will +10 | Perc +8 | Ki 2/2 | Hero 2/3

Pril looks from the strange woman and then back to the tunnel they just came from. "Are you ...? We were told that there was a woman here that controlled spiders. If you're her ... and I'm sorry if I'm assuming ... but I really hope you're not upset that we had to kill some really big ones - spiders, that is - back there. We hadn't intended on attacking them, but they didn't really give us much choice."

Dark Archive

Male Medium Human Cleric 4 | HP: 29/29 | AC: 13/13 | F: +7, R: +9, W: +12 | Dec +9, Dip +9, Itm +9, Lore +8, Med +10, Per +12, Perf +9, Rel +12, Soc +8| Speed 25ft | Focus 1/1, D Font 3/4, Wand 1/1| 1st: Bless, Bless, Magic Weapon, 2nd: Dispel, Dispel, Sound Burst| Active Conditions:

The Cardinal sets to work patching up Nell and the bear.

Medicine, Nell: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (13) + 10 = 23 Healing: 2d8 ⇒ (6, 6) = 12
Medicine, Bryn: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (19) + 10 = 29 Healing: 4d8 ⇒ (2, 6, 6, 7) = 21

20 minutes for healing. Anyone else?


Nobody else needs healing at the moment.

Renali jerkily cocks her head again. "It's not so much that I control spiders, but that I have a certain... empathy for them. I had somewhat befriended the hunting spiders in the other cave, to the extent that neither of us bothered the other. So I am not upset. You did what you had to do." She nods and steeples her fingers.


Female Gnome Monk 4 | HP 27/52 | AC 21 | Fort +9 Ref +11 Will +10 | Perc +8 | Ki 2/2 | Hero 2/3

"Ah, ok." Pril responds, still unsure what it is about this woman that tingles her defensive nature. "Then we'll, uh, be on our way then. Nice to meet you. We'll let you know if we find the aiudara and figure out how to operate them so you can go home." She nods her head and indicates for everyone else to keep moving.


Male Medium Human Wizard 4 | HP: 33/33 | AC: 19/19 | F: +8, R: +8, W: +8| Lore +10, Per +7, Nature/Society +10| Speed 25ft | Focus 1/1| 1st: Gust of Wind, Pest Form | Active Conditions:

Ervan is somewhere on Pril's empathic level with regards to Renali's special kind of arachnid friendship. "Interesting, albeit somewhat disconcerting when I imagine befriending a host of oversized spiders. Then again, I have a myrmecoleon as a familiar, so who am I to judge one's company?", he says with a smile as flat and sharp as a knife's blade.

Dark Archive

Male Medium Human Cleric 4 | HP: 29/29 | AC: 13/13 | F: +7, R: +9, W: +12 | Dec +9, Dip +9, Itm +9, Lore +8, Med +10, Per +12, Perf +9, Rel +12, Soc +8| Speed 25ft | Focus 1/1, D Font 3/4, Wand 1/1| 1st: Bless, Bless, Magic Weapon, 2nd: Dispel, Dispel, Sound Burst| Active Conditions:

Id Magic: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (8) + 12 = 20

"A fine weapon." Lucius says. "Heavily enchanted. Someone might wish to wield it."

-------------------
With Renali

"Peace be with you then daughter." The Cardinal says, smiling kindly at the woman. "Our thanks for your information and aid."

Dip: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28


Female Gnome Monk 4 | HP 27/52 | AC 21 | Fort +9 Ref +11 Will +10 | Perc +8 | Ki 2/2 | Hero 2/3

Sorry, Missed Allindir's dinner spoiler.

Allandír:
Pril's eyes roll again when Allandír begins discussing his own appearance. "I'll never understand why men are so hung up on appearances. When you get a yule gift, the wrapping is nice. But when you've had the necklace for a few months, you don't really care what it was wrapped in. It's what's inside that counts." She gives him a smile.

Allandír wrote:
"Besides, who could turn down the prospect of exploring a network of elf-gates nobody has travelled for millenia? The Song of Spheres could not have given me a greater hint had she stencilled it on my forehead."

"I must admit that the idea of being able to explore so many different far-away places from here is something that gets me all ..." she seems to be searching for the word, but at the expression on her companion's face, she laughs and wags her finger at him. "Shame on you for getting me all ... interested," she says. "And don't you dare try to blame it on the wine. I've only had ..." She thinks for a moment and then begins counting on her fingers. "It doesn't matter how many glasses I've had. It's all your fault."

As if to prove her point she lifts her glass containing just a single remaining sip of the full red that they've been drinking. She swallows it down slowly and licks her lips to savor the taste. She sits for a moment, letting the warmth settle in her middle as she swings her feet in the air above the floor.

"Why is it that I always end up tipsy when I spend an evening with you?" she asks rhetorically. She looks the elf up and down as she sets down her empty glass. "So, do you ever wonder what it would be like?" She lifts up on her seat to lean forward on the table. "Hmmm?" Something occurs to her and she reaches up to the front of her tunic to ensure that she's not displaying anything that she shouldn't.


Renali affects a jerky bow to Lucius. "You are welcome. We will speak again later."

Leaving the strange woman for the time being, you continue down the tunnel into the next cave. A massive throne constructed of old bones and broken furniture tied together with ropes and chains and draped with moth-eaten velvet is the overwhelming centerpiece of this wide-open cave. Arrayed in concentric circles around the throne are the skeletal corpses of small, oblong-skulled humanoids—each posed with their head inclined reverently toward the throne’s seat.

An industrious but filthy goblin adjusts some of the skeletons, but when he sees you, he scrambles up onto the throne. "Mongrel cave-things!" he shouts. "You dare enter Ralldar’s kingdom? Bestow upon your god proper tribute, or be consumed by misery and death!"


Female Gnome Monk 4 | HP 27/52 | AC 21 | Fort +9 Ref +11 Will +10 | Perc +8 | Ki 2/2 | Hero 2/3

Pril turns for just an instant to give her companions a look that clearly says, 'When do goblins talk like that?'.

She turns back to Ralldar and bows. "We must pass through these caves, Ralldar," she begins. "We intend you no harm and hope you will extend us the same courtesy. We offer no tribute." Her expression grows slightly harder. "Nor do we expect tribute from you." She emphasizes the second part. "Shall we go our ways?"


Male Elf (Woodland) Ranger (Precision) 4 I HP 10/46 I AC 21 I F: +8(E) R: +12(E) W: +9(E) I Perception +9(E), Low-light vision I Speed 35 ft I Conditions: None

Pril:

Pril wrote:
"I'll never understand why men are so hung up on appearances."

Allandír raises one eyebrow, wondering whether to point out that it was Pril who brought up the topic by talking about her hips and bust... but decides that by his age, he really should have learned that lesson for good by now. With a wisdom hard-earned, he says nothing and allows the conversation to move to another topic.

Pril wrote:
"So, do you ever wonder what it would be like?" She lifts up on her seat to lean forward on the table. "Hmmm?"

As the gnome leans forward, he surprises himself - and possibly her - by leaning forward as well, and kissing her (this may or may not afford him a better view, but that's neither here nor there).

Ever cautious, he pulls back so that he can see her reaction. "Does that, ah, answer your question?"

As the weird goblin-thing rants, Allandír keeps his bow trained on it. Anything that claims to be a god and demands tribute is bad news. The best case scenario here is that it's just a mad goblin.

He's not sure what the worst case scenario is. He has a nasty feeling that he might be about to find out.


Female Gnome Monk 4 | HP 27/52 | AC 21 | Fort +9 Ref +11 Will +10 | Perc +8 | Ki 2/2 | Hero 2/3

Allandír:
Pril's eyes open wide when Allandír's lips touch hers. They're still wide when he pulls away to ask his question.

She nods slowly and silently before there's a clattering of plates and glasses as she scrambles up onto the table and pulls his stark face to hers with both small hands - pressing her eager lips against his. A lifetime later it seems she finally pulls away. Her eyes stay locked with his, desire evident in them. An instant later and the desire is replaced with confusion and sadness.

"I'm sorry. I ... uh ... I think I had too much to drink. I shouldn't have done that. I mean I wanted to, and I want ... but ... I shouldn't have. It wouldn't be ..." She fumbles her way back down to her seat and gathers her things. "Too soon," she mutters. She throws some coins on to the table and backs away from the elf before turning and quickly walking to the door. "Too soon."


"No, we shall not 'go our ways!' If you will not worship me, then I will destroy you!" Ralldar howls. He leaps down from the throne, and his body swells as he undergoes a monstrous transformation into a half-goblin, half-wolf monstrosity! His elongated fangs drip with poison!

Initiative:
Allandir: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (10) + 9 = 19
Cardinal Lucius: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (10) + 12 = 22
Ervan: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11
Gull Peeper: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22
Nell: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28
Pril: 1d20 + 8 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 8 + 2 = 15
Ralldar: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (14) + 16 = 30

Calling on innate magic, Ralldar swells to even greater size! The hulking creature now stands nearly 18 feet tall, his hunched shoulders almost scraping the ceiling.

Everybody may act!


Male Medium Human Wizard 4 | HP: 33/33 | AC: 19/19 | F: +8, R: +8, W: +8| Lore +10, Per +7, Nature/Society +10| Speed 25ft | Focus 1/1| 1st: Gust of Wind, Pest Form | Active Conditions:

"A radical change in size won't help you overcome your limited cognitive abilities, accursed goblin."

[A1+2] Heightened Hydraulic Push (lvl2)(5d6 damage plus 5ft knockback) [A3] ponder life
Hydraulic Push attack: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (12) + 10 = 22
Damage: 5d6 ⇒ (6, 6, 1, 4, 2) = 19


Female Gnome Monk 4 | HP 27/52 | AC 21 | Fort +9 Ref +11 Will +10 | Perc +8 | Ki 2/2 | Hero 2/3

"I don't think that's a goblin," Pril mutters as she steadies her breathing, changes her posture, and moves in to engage the strange being.

{A} Assume Dragon Stance
{A} Stride

{A} Dragon Tail Attack: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23
Dragon Tail Damage - B: 1d10 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

Finally hit with the bloody attack and ... *head-desk*

Dark Archive

Male Medium Human Cleric 4 | HP: 29/29 | AC: 13/13 | F: +7, R: +9, W: +12 | Dec +9, Dip +9, Itm +9, Lore +8, Med +10, Per +12, Perf +9, Rel +12, Soc +8| Speed 25ft | Focus 1/1, D Font 3/4, Wand 1/1| 1st: Bless, Bless, Magic Weapon, 2nd: Dispel, Dispel, Sound Burst| Active Conditions:

"Hmm." The Cardinal seems almost curious. "Unusual to meet a goblin who can do that..."

Counteract, Dispel Magic: 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 4 + 2 = 19


Male Elf (Woodland) Ranger (Precision) 4 I HP 10/46 I AC 21 I F: +8(E) R: +12(E) W: +9(E) I Perception +9(E), Low-light vision I Speed 35 ft I Conditions: None

Lacking any knowledge either way, Allandír leaves any discussion of what this thing is to the others. His own interest is more on stopping it from being.

To that end, he fires a volley of arrows from his longbow.

Hunted shot: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (19) + 11 = 30
Damage: 1d8 ⇒ 3

Hunted shot: 1d20 + 11 - 5 ⇒ (2) + 11 - 5 = 8
Damage: 1d8 ⇒ 6

First attack that hits does 1d8 ⇒ 1 precision damage

With a growl, Bruynarth moves forward to provide support to Pril.

Moving to a flanking position to make the thing flat-footed

Bite: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15
Damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10


Attack of Opportunity: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (2) + 17 = 19
Nell Strikes: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (10) + 12 = 221d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17
Damage: 2d6 + 4 ⇒ (1, 1) + 4 = 6

Nell rushes forward, ducking under the monster's slavering jaws. She lashes out with the new scimitar you found, slicing into the creature's legs.

Gull Peeper Attacks: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 271d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8
Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10

Gull Peeper bites the creature, but it doesn't seem to hurt the thing. It seems to be resistant to non-magical damage!

Lucius attempts to dispel the monster's growth spell, but he is unable to counteract it.

Allandir hits it with an arrow and sends Bruynarth into combat. The bear can't move far enough to flank, and its claw misses its foe.

Ervan blasts the thing with a torrent of water, pushing it back. Pril moves in, drops into her dragon stance, and stomps on its toe!

Jaws, Claw, Claw: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (5) + 17 = 221d20 + 13 ⇒ (5) + 13 = 181d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21
Damage: 2d10 + 10 + 1d6 ⇒ (1, 4) + 10 + (2) = 172d8 + 10 ⇒ (1, 2) + 10 = 13

30 damage and 1d6 persistent poison damage to Nell. I'll assume Lucius used one of his heal spells on her since she was still badly hurt after the last fight, so now she's just down 30. Everybody may act!

Enemy Status:
Ralldar -36


Female Gnome Monk 4 | HP 27/52 | AC 21 | Fort +9 Ref +11 Will +10 | Perc +8 | Ki 2/2 | Hero 2/3

Pril continues to assault the economy-sized goblin with fists and feet.

{A} Flurry of Blows - add damage before applying
Unarmed Attack: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27
Unarmed Damage - B: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

Unarmed Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24
Unarmed Damage - B: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

{A} Dragon Tail Attack: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (2) + 0 = 2
Dragon Tail Damage - B: 1d10 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6

{A} Dragon Tail Attack: 1d20 + 0 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 0 + 1 = 20 backswing
Dragon Tail Damage - B: 1d10 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10


Male Elf (Woodland) Ranger (Precision) 4 I HP 10/46 I AC 21 I F: +8(E) R: +12(E) W: +9(E) I Perception +9(E), Low-light vision I Speed 35 ft I Conditions: None

Allandír continues to shoot, although with limited effectiveness.

Hunted shot: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (11) + 11 = 22
Damage: 1d8 ⇒ 6

Hunted shot: 1d20 + 11 - 5 ⇒ (12) + 11 - 5 = 18
Damage: 1d8 ⇒ 6

First attack that hits does 1d8 ⇒ 4 precision damage

Bruynarth roars and swipes at the monster several times, but fails to accomplish much.

Bite: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14
Damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10

Claw: 1d20 + 9 - 4 ⇒ (6) + 9 - 4 = 11
Damage: 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4

Claw: 1d20 + 9 - 8 ⇒ (2) + 9 - 8 = 3
Damage: 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6

801 to 850 of 880 << first < prev | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Brainiac's Age of Ashes Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.