GM Lorenzo's #7-15: The Deepmarket Deception (Subtier 6-7) (Inactive)

Game Master Lawrence Smith 2

Maps, Handouts, and More!


1 to 50 of 448 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | next > last >>
Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

Scenario #7-15: The Deepmarket Deception (Subtier 6-7)

When the Pathfinder Society claimed the Hao Jin Tapestry in Tian Xia, it seemed as though the Aspis Consortium's influence there had ended. An anonymous informant recently identified an Aspis resurgence in Goka's Deepmarket, and Venture-Captain Amara Li hopes that a small, well-trained team can ferret out the villains and prevent any greater atrocities. Can the PCs traverse the Deepmarket's treacherous politics and tunnels and neutralize the Consortium's local ringleader?

Content in "The Deepmarket Deception" also contributes directly to the ongoing storyline of the retired Lantern Lodge faction. Content in this scenario also ties into a special metaplot element from Pathfinder Society Special #6–98: "Serpents Rise". Players who have completed that special event are encouraged to bring its Chronicle Sheet when playing this adventure.

Written by Nathan King.

---
This is a closed campaign.
Instructions: Once you have been accepted into the party by the GM, please "ninja-dot" here in order to enter this scenario into the list of your campaign threads.
PbP TIP: To "ninja-dot," post on this thread, and immediately afterword, delete the post. Why? To keep the campaign thread clear of unnecessary clutter. Clutter belongs on the discussion thread, instead.

Silver Crusade

HP: 53/53 l AC: 20, T 13, FF 18 l CMD 19 l F +7, R +5, W +5; +2 vs. illusions, +2 vs. fear/despair l Bond Senses (6/6), Eternal Hope (1/1), Maker's Call (1/1), Summon Monster III (6/6) l L1: 5/5, L2: 4/4 l Init +2 l Senses: Low-Light Vision, Perception -1
Skills:
Craft: Carpentry +10, Intimidate +7,Kn. Arcana +7, Kn. Religion +6, Kn. Dungeoneering +5, Kn. Planes +9, Kn. Engineering +7, Ride +10, Spellcraft +8, UMD +7
Female Gnome Unchained Summoner 6/Fighter (Dragoon) 1 l Active Conditions:

Not long after the summons for agents goes out, a young lady-gnome with strawberry-blonde hair comes riding into the waiting room astride a rather large...fire cat?...except there's only a short stub where a tail should be and the feline instead sports a pair of black, leathery wings like those of a bat. The gnome is dressed in a sparkling chain shirt and carries a lance of adamantine slung across her back, along with her pack and an assortment of other weapons.

"Oh! I think we're the first ones here Inky," the gnome remarks, peering around the empty waiting room. "That's good, though! Great, even! Being punctual sends a good message and first impressions are always very important, you know."

Silver Crusade

HP: 39/39 l AC: 21, T 13, FF 18 l CMD 21 l F +6, R +7, W +3; +4 vs. enchantments l Immune: Fire, Paralysis, Sleep l Init +3 l Senses: Darkvision, Perception +8
Skills:
Acrobatics +9, Diplomacy +4, Fly +11, Intimidate +8, Kn. Planes +2, Sense Motive +6, Stealth +7
Female Elemental Unchained Eidolon 6 | Active Conditions:

"Riiight..." the creature named Inky remarks with a roll of the eyes before giving a good shake that very nearly jostles her rider off. "Hey, we're just waiting now so move your kiester and let me stretch my wings a bit! Sitting in a chair like a real human being won't kill you, you know!"


”Aric of Halvon/The Red Raven | Male NG/CN Medium Human Vigilante 7 | HP 26/66 | AC 21, T 16, FF 16 | CMD 22 | F +5 R +11 W +6 | Init +9 | Perc +10 | Speed 30ft | Hidden strike +4d8/+4d4 | Active Conditions: None

A well dressed man continues reading from his book when the woman walks in and introduces herself.

"Oh, greetings ma'am." He stands up and offers his hand. "I am called Aric. And oh... hello there." He hesitates, unsure if he should pet the feline creature or shake its paw.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19

Sovereign Court

CG Elf Arcanist 8 | HP: 58/58 | AC: 13 (T: 13, F: 10) | CMB: +3, CMD: 16 | F: +5, R: +6, W: +8 | Init: +9 | Perc: +11 | Speed 30 | Arcane Reservoir remaining: 7/11 | Low-light vision | Reroll | Conditions: Sickened

Prancing along comes a tall, lanky elf with golden locks, dark eyes, and a freshly-pressed scarlet silk robe. He carries a spellbook and a quarterstaff with two heads of a serpent carved out from the pointed end. He walks with purpose, humming a song to himself. But perhaps the strangest thing about Erlathan are four fleshy appendages that dangle from his chin, bouncing along with every step he takes.

He enters the room, and drops his jaw, revealing overly sharp canines. "Oh! Nina! And Incandescence! What a surprise!" Erlathan rushes over to greet the gnome and her brightly colored steed. "So good to see you two again, and this time, without any winged devils and orcs to harass us with their seemingly endless supply of flaming arrows." Erlathan scoffs loudly, rolling his eyes. "What's kept you busy, hmm? That lance of yours looks new and shiny. And potentially devil-skin-piercing."

Silver Crusade

HP: 39/39 l AC: 21, T 13, FF 18 l CMD 21 l F +6, R +7, W +3; +4 vs. enchantments l Immune: Fire, Paralysis, Sleep l Init +3 l Senses: Darkvision, Perception +8
Skills:
Acrobatics +9, Diplomacy +4, Fly +11, Intimidate +8, Kn. Planes +2, Sense Motive +6, Stealth +7
Female Elemental Unchained Eidolon 6 | Active Conditions:

Inky pauses, staring back at the well-dressed man that she hadn't noticed reading in the corner.

What's this guy staring at and what's he got to be so smug about?

"Hello yourself," she finally responds. "What? Don't see many winged fire cats where you're from? That's too bad, I'm sure they'd be a big improvement to the place."

Aric:

She's not actually hostile but clearly doesn't appreciate being stared at, either. Maybe just...words...would be best as an introduction.

Silver Crusade

Male Human Cleric 7 HP 52/52 | AC (24)21, T 12, FF 19 |Wands: CLW: 34/50 Bless: 29/50 Prot Evil: 50/50 Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +10 ToG 6/6 Channel 5/8 | Effects: Comprehend Languages, Daylight

Not long after a moderately built man with a winning grin walks in. Dressed in a shining breastplate with wooden shield slung over his shoulder he steps in to greet old friends and soon to be new ones. "Hey hey! We're bringing back the band?" He glad hands the room with a smile.

"Hanlin Ciderbrow Jr at your service, so long as your service is in the name of the good of course." He scratches Inky on the chin, high fives Nina (just within her reach), and punches the Elf in the shoulder. "How they hangin' tentacle chin?" He says with a laugh.

He gets a touch more serious with introductions for Aric "Hey there. Hanlin's the name, great to meet you." He offers a hearty handshake. This one's got a face for radio.. whatever that is.. youch.

Silver Crusade

HP: 53/53 l AC: 20, T 13, FF 18 l CMD 19 l F +7, R +5, W +5; +2 vs. illusions, +2 vs. fear/despair l Bond Senses (6/6), Eternal Hope (1/1), Maker's Call (1/1), Summon Monster III (6/6) l L1: 5/5, L2: 4/4 l Init +2 l Senses: Low-Light Vision, Perception -1
Skills:
Craft: Carpentry +10, Intimidate +7,Kn. Arcana +7, Kn. Religion +6, Kn. Dungeoneering +5, Kn. Planes +9, Kn. Engineering +7, Ride +10, Spellcraft +8, UMD +7
Female Gnome Unchained Summoner 6/Fighter (Dragoon) 1 l Active Conditions:

"Inkkkyyyy, be nice!" the little gnome wails as she clambers down from astride the grumpy feline. "You know the wings always draw people's eyes! They don't mean anything bad by it!"

She turns to Aric and sticks out her hand, looking rather embarrassed. "Sorry, don't mind Inky. She's kinda gruff and grumpy sometimes but she's really a good egg, I promise! And my name's Nina, nice to meet yo-"

Nina stops as a familiar tentacle-face comes striding into the room and she releases Aric's hand to dart forward and hug the elf around the knees...right about the time another familiar face enters the room.

"Erlathan! And Hanlin! They didn't tell us you were coming along too," Nina beams happily. "That's great! And yeah, I upgraded my lance! Isn't it shiny and sharp?" The excitable gnome brandishes her lance, for anyone wanting a better look. "Figured that after all those devils and then my last mission where there were these clockworks that I should get a better weapon! But anyway, enough about me, what about you guys? Have you been up to anything or just taking it easy at the Grand Lodge?"

Silver Crusade

Male Human Cleric 7 HP 52/52 | AC (24)21, T 12, FF 19 |Wands: CLW: 34/50 Bless: 29/50 Prot Evil: 50/50 Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +10 ToG 6/6 Channel 5/8 | Effects: Comprehend Languages, Daylight

"Yup, devils, demons, the undead... all suck. Hopefully we get to dust a few on this trip, otherwise Iomedae gives out the worst hangovers." He rubs his temples in anguish.


”Aric of Halvon/The Red Raven | Male NG/CN Medium Human Vigilante 7 | HP 26/66 | AC 21, T 16, FF 16 | CMD 22 | F +5 R +11 W +6 | Init +9 | Perc +10 | Speed 30ft | Hidden strike +4d8/+4d4 | Active Conditions: None

"My apologies, madam. I don't get to see many fierce warriors like yourself." he laughs and withdraws his hand, quickly. "I'm clearly the newcomer to this merry group. You'll have to excuse my poor manners."

Hanlin gives a hearty handshake. "Hanlin, is it? Good to see you." Should I shake Erlathan's hand, or would that be too rude?

Grand Lodge

Tian-Shu Human Kineticist L7 | HP: 73+7/73+7 NL21 | AC:23+1 T:14+1 FF:20 (25% miss ranged except massive wpns & rays) | CMB:6+2 CMD:19+1 | Saves F:13+1+2 R:11+1+2 W:8+2 (+2 vs heat, breaths, clouds, gases) | Init:+3 | Per:+13+2 | Spd: 30 fly 60(gd) | Reroll: 1/1 | Status: burn 3/9 | Buffer: 1/1 | Fortification 0% | Air Wysp HP: 36/36 | Conditions: elemental overflow (+2 Dex, +2 Con); heroism (50m)

Fung paces quietly into the room, so quietly that when you notice him entering, you wonder whether he is walking on air. And when you look really closely, although partially hidden by his long robes, you notice indeed that he is! When you examine him further, he realise that although there is hardly any draft in the room, his robes and long hair are constantly being gently tossed about as if by a gentle breeze.

He looks rather will at ease, especially when he notices that most of the Pathfinders already know each other. He stands awkwardly to one side, unsure of himself, and waits for a break in the conversations to introduce himself. "Hi... hello. My name is Xuan Fung, but please call me Fung. Um, I hear that we are going to Goka?" He asks the last with a glimmer his eye, yet a faint trepidation in his voice.

Silver Crusade

Male Human Cleric 7 HP 52/52 | AC (24)21, T 12, FF 19 |Wands: CLW: 34/50 Bless: 29/50 Prot Evil: 50/50 Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +10 ToG 6/6 Channel 5/8 | Effects: Comprehend Languages, Daylight

"Shake his hand then tickle his tentacles." Smiles the holy warrior, miming fiddling with his own chin.

Sovereign Court

CG Elf Arcanist 8 | HP: 58/58 | AC: 13 (T: 13, F: 10) | CMB: +3, CMD: 16 | F: +5, R: +6, W: +8 | Init: +9 | Perc: +11 | Speed 30 | Arcane Reservoir remaining: 7/11 | Low-light vision | Reroll | Conditions: Sickened

Erlathan throws his hand out for Aric to shake, leaning his face forward. The light hits his visage at just the right (or wrong) angle however, and his tentacles and demon teeth lend him a horrific appearance. "Hello there Aric! I'm Erlathan, mighty and magical and all of that other good stuff. Forgive the face, I'd gotten too, er, intimate with a vargouille during my apprenticeship, and, well, the symptoms have been lingering."

With Fung, however, Erlathan stands tall and applauds. "Splendid! You can walk on air at will?! What magic is this!?"

Grand Lodge

Tian-Shu Human Kineticist L7 | HP: 73+7/73+7 NL21 | AC:23+1 T:14+1 FF:20 (25% miss ranged except massive wpns & rays) | CMB:6+2 CMD:19+1 | Saves F:13+1+2 R:11+1+2 W:8+2 (+2 vs heat, breaths, clouds, gases) | Init:+3 | Per:+13+2 | Spd: 30 fly 60(gd) | Reroll: 1/1 | Status: burn 3/9 | Buffer: 1/1 | Fortification 0% | Air Wysp HP: 36/36 | Conditions: elemental overflow (+2 Dex, +2 Con); heroism (50m)

Fung realises with a start what he had been doing unconsciously and suddenly lands on the ground with a start (albeit still quite gracefully). "Magic? Um, it's not magic. I don't know magic at all... Um, it's uh ... just something I can do."

Silver Crusade

Male Human Cleric 7 HP 52/52 | AC (24)21, T 12, FF 19 |Wands: CLW: 34/50 Bless: 29/50 Prot Evil: 50/50 Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +10 ToG 6/6 Channel 5/8 | Effects: Comprehend Languages, Daylight

"No need to be self conscious Fung. We can all 'do' something. That's what makes us such accomplished Pathfinders right?" He offers his hand in greeting.

"Why, the great Goddess Iomedae grants me her blessings and power on occasion, particularly when fighting devils, demons and the risen dead. It really is quite remarkable." He waggles his eyebrows a bit.

"Why tentacle chin there is an accomplished mage of some sort, although mostly he just likes to talk about his staff and summon magical snake missiles." He pretends to fire off a couple of side arms, waggling his hips suggestively.

Pointing back to the vertically challenged Nina and Inky "These two teammates are joined at the hip! Nina and her faithful and 'outspoken' mount Inky, charging into battle!" He hollers "CHARRRRGEEE!"

He throws his head back in laughter, a familiar sight you'll see, before finally asking the question "So what exactly makes you... you?"


”Aric of Halvon/The Red Raven | Male NG/CN Medium Human Vigilante 7 | HP 26/66 | AC 21, T 16, FF 16 | CMD 22 | F +5 R +11 W +6 | Init +9 | Perc +10 | Speed 30ft | Hidden strike +4d8/+4d4 | Active Conditions: None

"Oh, me?" Aric seems caught off guard. "I'm a terrible liar, but... I'm a bit of a social butterfly." He shrugs. "The best battle is the one never taken, or something like that. I've had to keep my wits about me though, I've heard of someone stalking me." He laughs. "Apologies if I seem to disappear sometimes."

Silver Crusade

HP: 53/53 l AC: 20, T 13, FF 18 l CMD 19 l F +7, R +5, W +5; +2 vs. illusions, +2 vs. fear/despair l Bond Senses (6/6), Eternal Hope (1/1), Maker's Call (1/1), Summon Monster III (6/6) l L1: 5/5, L2: 4/4 l Init +2 l Senses: Low-Light Vision, Perception -1
Skills:
Craft: Carpentry +10, Intimidate +7,Kn. Arcana +7, Kn. Religion +6, Kn. Dungeoneering +5, Kn. Planes +9, Kn. Engineering +7, Ride +10, Spellcraft +8, UMD +7
Female Gnome Unchained Summoner 6/Fighter (Dragoon) 1 l Active Conditions:

"That's a really neat trick Mister Fung," Nina remarks, studying the newest newcomer with curiosity. "Inky can fly - see the wings? But maybe one day I can make it where she can hover and fly around like you can, without having to have wings! Wings make it a little harder for riding if you're not used to it..." she chatters, rubbing slightly at her backside.

"And wait...a stalker? You've got a stalker? Who? What do they look like? Are they really strong? Why are they stalking you?" Nina suddenly asks, turning to Aric with a surprisingly serious expression on her face. "Inky and I are knights of Sarenrae! If you've got a stalker, we'll protect you!" And sure enough, as Nina puffs out her chest you see a carved wooden symbol of Sarenrae hanging around her neck.

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

As the early dawn’s light crests over the Wall of Heaven mountain range, the Lantern Lodge is already bustling with activity. The sound of clashing swords echoes in the air from a nearby training area, and a group of Pathfinder agents silently meditates in the front courtyard. The lodge’s doors open, revealing a long corridor and a faint floral aroma wafts gently in the air. Sturdy shelves laden with artifacts from all corners of Tian Xia line the corridor’s walls. Venture-

Captain Amara Li emerges from a door labeled "Taldor Room" in a fine cherry-red kimono.

"Good morning, Pathfinders. I hope your travels have been safe and enjoyable," Li says. "Please, come inside."

The Taldor Room is an opulent meeting space with a solid mahogany table and ornately carved chairs. Its walls are adorned with ornamental weapons and portraits of noble families in resplendent finery. Elegant porcelain teacups and plates sit in front of each chair, and several platters of fruit, cakes, and cheeses occupy the center of the table, surrounding a steaming pot of tea.

The venture-captain pours herself a cup of tea and continues, "As I’m sure you are aware, the Grand Lodge was attacked a few months ago. Since then, the Society has been following any and all leads that could help us find and arrest the Aspis criminals behind the assault. From Varisia to Nirmathas to Absalom itself, the Society has successfully gathered a substantial amount of information about Aspis operations. We have combined our own resources with the reports of a turncoat within the Consortium whom we have taken to calling ‘Three Rings’ to create a list of vital Aspis operatives all across Golarion."

"One in particular, Tseka, lives beneath Goka, in a warren of tunnels and ruins called Undermarket. Specifically, she lives in its deepest levels, known as Deepmarket. Tseka works from the shadows, and makes most of her profits from black market trades."

"Deepmarket is a dark and dangerous community of criminals, thieves, and outcasts. Those who don’t know the area or have connections to protect them make easy targets. I recommend
using a little subterfuge to help yourselves blend in, and to give Tseka as little time to prepare for your approach as possible."

The venture-captain places a small wooden chest on the table and says, "To get inside Deepmarket, I propose that you pose as smugglers bringing in a fresh round of contraband."

"Once there, find Tseka. We know that she has valuable information, so do everything in your power to bring her back alive, and collect whatever documents you find in her base of operations. I do not know where within Deepmarket she resides. Gather what information you can from the locals in Undermarket, and seek out a guide to help you navigate these treacherous waters. Do you have any questions?"


”Aric of Halvon/The Red Raven | Male NG/CN Medium Human Vigilante 7 | HP 26/66 | AC 21, T 16, FF 16 | CMD 22 | F +5 R +11 W +6 | Init +9 | Perc +10 | Speed 30ft | Hidden strike +4d8/+4d4 | Active Conditions: None

"Infiltration and extraction. Seems simple enough." Aric shrugs. "I'll make sure to dress down."

He turns to Nina. "Why thank you. Try not to harm the Red Raven if you meet him- I think I'm converting him." He laughs. "Or he hasn't tried to kill me yet."

Grand Lodge

Tian-Shu Human Kineticist L7 | HP: 73+7/73+7 NL21 | AC:23+1 T:14+1 FF:20 (25% miss ranged except massive wpns & rays) | CMB:6+2 CMD:19+1 | Saves F:13+1+2 R:11+1+2 W:8+2 (+2 vs heat, breaths, clouds, gases) | Init:+3 | Per:+13+2 | Spd: 30 fly 60(gd) | Reroll: 1/1 | Status: burn 3/9 | Buffer: 1/1 | Fortification 0% | Air Wysp HP: 36/36 | Conditions: elemental overflow (+2 Dex, +2 Con); heroism (50m)

The Deepmarket. That brings back memories. Even as a street urchin roaming the streets, Fung has heard the reputation of the operations deep under the prosperous town of Goka. A prosperity that seemed blind to the misfortunes of those fallen by the wayside. A prosperity that feeds the Deepmarket. He wonders if his Master had not adopted him, whether he might now be calling that place home. Or more likely, he would be dead.

He coughs nervously before speaking. "I imagine that the residents are a suspicious lot. What contraband would they be seeking? And how do we get our hands on them?"

Fung also has some thieving skills, primarily stealth and DD.

Silver Crusade

HP: 53/53 l AC: 20, T 13, FF 18 l CMD 19 l F +7, R +5, W +5; +2 vs. illusions, +2 vs. fear/despair l Bond Senses (6/6), Eternal Hope (1/1), Maker's Call (1/1), Summon Monster III (6/6) l L1: 5/5, L2: 4/4 l Init +2 l Senses: Low-Light Vision, Perception -1
Skills:
Craft: Carpentry +10, Intimidate +7,Kn. Arcana +7, Kn. Religion +6, Kn. Dungeoneering +5, Kn. Planes +9, Kn. Engineering +7, Ride +10, Spellcraft +8, UMD +7
Female Gnome Unchained Summoner 6/Fighter (Dragoon) 1 l Active Conditions:

"Be...subtle?" Nina repeats, sounding a little doubtful. "Um...Inky and I kinda stand out a bit but maybe we can....oh! Some of you guys can be the smugglers and Inky and I can be your hired muscle! All the bad guys I've ever tangled with usually had lesser bad guys working for them so it shouldn't look strange at all!"

Silver Crusade

HP: 39/39 l AC: 21, T 13, FF 18 l CMD 21 l F +6, R +7, W +3; +4 vs. enchantments l Immune: Fire, Paralysis, Sleep l Init +3 l Senses: Darkvision, Perception +8
Skills:
Acrobatics +9, Diplomacy +4, Fly +11, Intimidate +8, Kn. Planes +2, Sense Motive +6, Stealth +7
Female Elemental Unchained Eidolon 6 | Active Conditions:

"That's...actually not a bad idea," Inky agrees. "Nice one, Nina. But hey, Lady in Red? I'm guessing you want this Tseka brought back alive and mostly in one piece, right?"

Silver Crusade

Male Human Cleric 7 HP 52/52 | AC (24)21, T 12, FF 19 |Wands: CLW: 34/50 Bless: 29/50 Prot Evil: 50/50 Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +10 ToG 6/6 Channel 5/8 | Effects: Comprehend Languages, Daylight

Hanlin definitely stands out, not quite the Paladin in full plate, but not too far off. "Hired muscle I guess it is. Maybe a bit of grease and grime so I don't stand out quite so much would be in order. But once I need to ask for Iomedae's aid the rouse could be spent." He points his left hand forward to show an intricate tattoo of her holy symbol, the same that hangs from a chain around his neck.

"What can you tell us of this country, I've never been here, and I must admit I'm not much into studying Geography." He looks around for a map or something.


”Aric of Halvon/The Red Raven | Male NG/CN Medium Human Vigilante 7 | HP 26/66 | AC 21, T 16, FF 16 | CMD 22 | F +5 R +11 W +6 | Init +9 | Perc +10 | Speed 30ft | Hidden strike +4d8/+4d4 | Active Conditions: None

"I know a thing or two about disguises." Aric shrugs. "I can't exactly walk around dressed like a well-to-do merchant all the time, can I?"

Grand Lodge

Male CN Nagaji Barbarian (Invulnerable Rager) 4 / Oracle (Dual Cursed) 2/ Rage Prophet 1 | HP: 63/63| AC: 19 (11 Tch, 18 Fl) | CMB: +10 CMD: 21 | F: +8, R: +3, W: +7 (2 vs. mind-affecting effects and poison) | Init: +1 | Perc: +9, SM: +1 | Speed 30ft | Rage=18/18 | | Curse: Lame Second Curse: Tongues | Spells: lvl1=5/5 | Active conditions: None.

While the briefing has begun, a heavily mustachioed Taldane man pushes a strange looking nagaji into the room. "Here you go. Your problem now. My condolences. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a most capital meeting in Oppara to attend." And as the man scurries away in a manner most unbecoming to a man-at-arms like himself, the snake-man looks around, seemingly in a daze as he coils his lower portion beneath himself. "Uhhh... OH! ..." he exclaims with a flash of insight. But much in the same manner, this state is ephemeral, and the look of utter confusion returns. "Uuuh. Is Pathfinder? Okami here to help Pathfinder. Is much help, Okami is." He looks about, as if finally realizing that he is in a very different place; not the stereotypical inn, or tavernside briefing area. And finally, he spots the venture captain "LADY AMARA LI! Oh! Is good see you. Is help, Okami is." And finally, perhaps in a miracle that is never to be repeated, the pieces click together. "So is pathfinders! Good. Okami think Al-baber bring Okami to place to lose Okami again. Is good. Very good is." He pulls upon his Varisian scarf to tighten it around his neck, a nervous tick as he begins to coil back, a natural shyness reasserting itself as it finally dawns on him that there are five complete strangers surrounding him.

Silver Crusade

HP: 39/39 l AC: 21, T 13, FF 18 l CMD 21 l F +6, R +7, W +3; +4 vs. enchantments l Immune: Fire, Paralysis, Sleep l Init +3 l Senses: Darkvision, Perception +8
Skills:
Acrobatics +9, Diplomacy +4, Fly +11, Intimidate +8, Kn. Planes +2, Sense Motive +6, Stealth +7
Female Elemental Unchained Eidolon 6 | Active Conditions:

Inky stares hard at the addled-acting nagaji for a long moment, considering this new situation...and then, surprisingly, the eidolon shrugs.

"Still not as weird as that last mission Nina & and I were sent on. I thought that we stood out but they sent us out with a frog riding another frog, a talking plant, and a snake-person, among other things," Inky remarks. "Not a snake-person like you but a different sort of snake-person."

Silver Crusade

HP: 53/53 l AC: 20, T 13, FF 18 l CMD 19 l F +7, R +5, W +5; +2 vs. illusions, +2 vs. fear/despair l Bond Senses (6/6), Eternal Hope (1/1), Maker's Call (1/1), Summon Monster III (6/6) l L1: 5/5, L2: 4/4 l Init +2 l Senses: Low-Light Vision, Perception -1
Skills:
Craft: Carpentry +10, Intimidate +7,Kn. Arcana +7, Kn. Religion +6, Kn. Dungeoneering +5, Kn. Planes +9, Kn. Engineering +7, Ride +10, Spellcraft +8, UMD +7
Female Gnome Unchained Summoner 6/Fighter (Dragoon) 1 l Active Conditions:

"Huh...that's actually pretty nice, coming from Inky. Normally she's a sourpuss at the best of times!"

The little gnome with strawberry-blonde hair waves cheerfully at Okami. "Hi, nice to meet you Okami! I'm Nina and the kitty is Inky. Um...was that your friend? Does he try to lose you a lot?"

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male CN Nagaji Barbarian (Invulnerable Rager) 4 / Oracle (Dual Cursed) 2/ Rage Prophet 1 | HP: 63/63| AC: 19 (11 Tch, 18 Fl) | CMB: +10 CMD: 21 | F: +8, R: +3, W: +7 (2 vs. mind-affecting effects and poison) | Init: +1 | Perc: +9, SM: +1 | Speed 30ft | Rage=18/18 | | Curse: Lame Second Curse: Tongues | Spells: lvl1=5/5 | Active conditions: None.

The nagaji recoils in surprise, turning quickly to naive fascination! "OOOOOH! CAT IS TALK!" He slithers a mite closer, still keeping his distance. "Is cat from Galt? Okami go Galt. Is so Magic." He nods to himself, as if he had made a pronouncement worthy of the great philosophers. "Galt is so magic. Have pumpkin that talk! And is just start! Much many magics! So magic." He nods, seemingly to himself, as he repeats to himself. "So magic. Is very magic so magic." A few seconds pass in silence before he looks back up to Inky, an air of confusion on his face.

And while I typed this up, Nina posted. Another post incoming!

Grand Lodge

Male CN Nagaji Barbarian (Invulnerable Rager) 4 / Oracle (Dual Cursed) 2/ Rage Prophet 1 | HP: 63/63| AC: 19 (11 Tch, 18 Fl) | CMB: +10 CMD: 21 | F: +8, R: +3, W: +7 (2 vs. mind-affecting effects and poison) | Init: +1 | Perc: +9, SM: +1 | Speed 30ft | Rage=18/18 | | Curse: Lame Second Curse: Tongues | Spells: lvl1=5/5 | Active conditions: None.
Nina Brightspark wrote:

"Huh...that's actually pretty nice, coming from Inky. Normally she's a sourpuss at the best of times!"

The little gnome with strawberry-blonde hair waves cheerfully at Okami. "Hi, nice to meet you Okami! I'm Nina and the kitty is Inky. Um...was that your friend? Does he try to lose you a lot?"

"Oooh. OOOOH." Seconds pass. "Ok. Okami is Okami. Aldabababer is just man who help Okami get to here. Is friend. Society have much friend for Okami. Alderbaber is always try and lose Okami. He say "I take you to place". And then, he take to place" answers Okami gestures with his hands from one spot to another. "And when get place, he go away. Okami have get back alone. But is OK. Kami and butterfly Varisian Kami is help. Okami is guardian. They help Guardian that is Okami." He nods sagely.

Silver Crusade

Male Human Cleric 7 HP 52/52 | AC (24)21, T 12, FF 19 |Wands: CLW: 34/50 Bless: 29/50 Prot Evil: 50/50 Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +10 ToG 6/6 Channel 5/8 | Effects: Comprehend Languages, Daylight

Hanlin greets the snake creature with a firm handshake and a strong "Welcome. I'm Hanlin Ciderbrow, Junior. How are you with.. disguises..." He lets the question trail off into the sunset.

Grand Lodge

Tian-Shu Human Kineticist L7 | HP: 73+7/73+7 NL21 | AC:23+1 T:14+1 FF:20 (25% miss ranged except massive wpns & rays) | CMB:6+2 CMD:19+1 | Saves F:13+1+2 R:11+1+2 W:8+2 (+2 vs heat, breaths, clouds, gases) | Init:+3 | Per:+13+2 | Spd: 30 fly 60(gd) | Reroll: 1/1 | Status: burn 3/9 | Buffer: 1/1 | Fortification 0% | Air Wysp HP: 36/36 | Conditions: elemental overflow (+2 Dex, +2 Con); heroism (50m)

Fung looks back and forth among the rest of his teammates, but they seem to understand the nagaji quite well, so he simply nods along pretending to understand everything Okami is saying, and hope that no one asks him anything about it.

Grand Lodge

Male CN Nagaji Barbarian (Invulnerable Rager) 4 / Oracle (Dual Cursed) 2/ Rage Prophet 1 | HP: 63/63| AC: 19 (11 Tch, 18 Fl) | CMB: +10 CMD: 21 | F: +8, R: +3, W: +7 (2 vs. mind-affecting effects and poison) | Init: +1 | Perc: +9, SM: +1 | Speed 30ft | Rage=18/18 | | Curse: Lame Second Curse: Tongues | Spells: lvl1=5/5 | Active conditions: None.

Okami takes Hanlin's hand, replying as he shakes it: "Is very terrible. So very terrible. Okami do mission to get in big house. Was disguise. Venture-Captain Valsin only half happy after. Lots people chase. Lots lots people chase. Run very much." He nods solemnly, as if approving of his own account of partial failure. "Druma is not the magic. Is OK. Okami do most what need. And is guardian. Always guardian." The handshaking continues, awkwardly at this point. "Okami not know why here. Is OK."

Silver Crusade

Male Human Cleric 7 HP 52/52 | AC (24)21, T 12, FF 19 |Wands: CLW: 34/50 Bless: 29/50 Prot Evil: 50/50 Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +10 ToG 6/6 Channel 5/8 | Effects: Comprehend Languages, Daylight

"Guardian? Excellent. Never enough warriors in the group I always say. Someone needs to help keep Erlathan alive and well after all." He pulls his hand away with a smile before pointing out the mage.

"He told me he had a pet snake once, very fond of the creatures. You should introduce yourself before he sneaks off to look at himself in the mirror." Chatty fella for sure.

Sovereign Court

CG Elf Arcanist 8 | HP: 58/58 | AC: 13 (T: 13, F: 10) | CMB: +3, CMD: 16 | F: +5, R: +6, W: +8 | Init: +9 | Perc: +11 | Speed 30 | Arcane Reservoir remaining: 7/11 | Low-light vision | Reroll | Conditions: Sickened

But if I cast fireball with versatile evocation, does it become Frostball? Coldball? Iceball? I must come up with a name fitting for the sheer power of such a thing! One cannot chant an arcane spell and modify it as cleverly as I could, nor should one use a "Name that doesn't express the magical prowess of its user!" Erlathan abruptly shuts his spellbook and hops up from his seat.

"Oh, pardon me. Greetings, Okami. I'm Erlathan. I think we're going to get along just fine," he smiles, again revealing his overly sharp teeth that hang just above his chin-tentacles.

"As for this stealthy operation, I do possess invisibility magic. And this handy-dandy disguise kit!" He pulls out a palette of eyeshadow, a wig, and a bottle of foundation and concealer. "Er, long story..."

Grand Lodge

Male CN Nagaji Barbarian (Invulnerable Rager) 4 / Oracle (Dual Cursed) 2/ Rage Prophet 1 | HP: 63/63| AC: 19 (11 Tch, 18 Fl) | CMB: +10 CMD: 21 | F: +8, R: +3, W: +7 (2 vs. mind-affecting effects and poison) | Init: +1 | Perc: +9, SM: +1 | Speed 30ft | Rage=18/18 | | Curse: Lame Second Curse: Tongues | Spells: lvl1=5/5 | Active conditions: None.

Okami's eyes go wide at the elf-vagrouille combination before him. The silence is deafening.

"What... What is namethatdoesntexpresssthemagamatipo... Who... What is???" he attempts to ask, as the sensory overload strains at the seams of his simple mind. The lower jaw goes up and down, several times, before finally: "Is you Magic?"


”Aric of Halvon/The Red Raven | Male NG/CN Medium Human Vigilante 7 | HP 26/66 | AC 21, T 16, FF 16 | CMD 22 | F +5 R +11 W +6 | Init +9 | Perc +10 | Speed 30ft | Hidden strike +4d8/+4d4 | Active Conditions: None

cough

"Good to see you, Okami. Thank you for joining us on this endeavor."

Subtlety is not their strong suit, I see.

Sovereign Court

CG Elf Arcanist 8 | HP: 58/58 | AC: 13 (T: 13, F: 10) | CMB: +3, CMD: 16 | F: +5, R: +6, W: +8 | Init: +9 | Perc: +11 | Speed 30 | Arcane Reservoir remaining: 7/11 | Low-light vision | Reroll | Conditions: Sickened

Did he.. Did he just..

Erlathan's grin turns into an enormous ear-to-ear smile, and he nearly falls over trying to contain his excitement. "Am I magic? Why yes, YES I AM!"

Grand Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Male CN Nagaji Barbarian (Invulnerable Rager) 4 / Oracle (Dual Cursed) 2/ Rage Prophet 1 | HP: 63/63| AC: 19 (11 Tch, 18 Fl) | CMB: +10 CMD: 21 | F: +8, R: +3, W: +7 (2 vs. mind-affecting effects and poison) | Init: +1 | Perc: +9, SM: +1 | Speed 30ft | Rage=18/18 | | Curse: Lame Second Curse: Tongues | Spells: lvl1=5/5 | Active conditions: None.

And with an expression that is equal part wonder, horror and fascination, Okami emits a sound.

"OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo OoOoOoOoOo..."

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

Amara Li raises one eyebrow at the interruption, then bows toward the nagaji. "Greetings, Okami no Hebi. We are pleased you could join us."

At the kineticist's question, the venture-captain nods and opens the small wooden chest on the table. "Xuan Fung, the chest contains a total of seven pieces of contraband—a dose of blue whinnis poison, a pistol from Alkenstar, a piece of bawdy artwork depicting a Gokan celebrity, jade unholy symbols of Fumeiyoshi, Lady Nanbyo, and Lamashtu, and an engraved darkwood box containing half a dozen oracular fingerbones smuggled out of Po Li."

"These items should help you maintain your cover as merchants, and they might prove useful in bartering with those whom you will encounter."

She rings a small crystal bell on the table and a Pathfinder initiate enters the room delivers a small bundle to the venture-captain. Amara Li presents the contents, "These tools should help, as well. A disguise kit and two scrolls of disguise self."

Turning to the eidolon, Amara Li says, "Yes, Incandescence, it is imperative that Tseka be stopped, but if you can bring her back alive, the information she has would be of vital interest to the Lanter Lodge and the Pathfinder Society."

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

Hanlin asks about the mission's area of operation. Some of you might already know something about the terrain beneath the streets of Goka.

Knowledge (dungeoneering or geography) DC10+:
Undermarket is comprised of large caverns. A canal flows through it, allowing contraband shipments to flow in from the Embaral Ocean.

Knowledge (dungeoneering or geography) DC15+:
Deeper into Undermarket, lost crypts, burial chambers, and ancient churches liter the ominous caverns. Even locations that seem to be abandoned are frequently repurposed.

Knowledge (dungeoneering or geography) DC20+:
Rumors hold that an entrance into the Darklands resides in Deepmarket, hidden among the dozens of tunnels that wind down for miles into the darkness.

Amari Li responds to the priest's question. "As Goka grew, Hanlin, its rulers assimilated nearby cities, won territory through battle, and purchased land from local people. Through these acquisitions, Goka laid claim to the tunnels underneath the city. Few people venture down there unless they have to. Most of the people who dwell in Undermarket are criminals, thieves, or black market traders, and they keep its entrances inconspicuous."

"It is said that Deepmarket contains ancient passageways that connect to the Darklands. Over the years, many of that subterranean realm’s denizens have made these tunnels their homes. I strongly recommend finding a guide to avoid getting lost in the warren."

"A local guide would be best, as outsiders are unlikely to know which places and people to avoid, but be careful whom you trust below the city. Unscrupulous individuals prey on travelers, picking their pockets or leading them into ambushes."

The venture-captain closes the briefing with an elegant and courteous bow. "If there are no more questions, I suggest you make whatever purchases or other preparations you need to and get moving."

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

After you head through the gates of the Lantern Lodge into the Petal District of Goka, you have the opportunity to acquire more information about the culture and people of Undermarket.

Diplomacy (gather information) or Knowledge (local) DC10+:
Almost anything can be found in the black markets of Undermarket under Goka, including drugs, poisons, gambling, slaves, and even firearms.

Diplomacy (gather information) or Knowledge (local) DC15+:
Rumors hold that one of the many entrances into Undermarket resides inside a silk shop named the Cresting Blossom. Ordinary customers use currency to purchase wares; however, those who provide contraband to the proprietor gain access to a secret tunnel leading far beneath the city.

Diplomacy (gather information) or Knowledge (local) DC20+:
Whispers from the ratfolk of Undermarket tell of the Aspis Consortium’s renewed recruitment efforts in the last few months.

Sovereign Court

CG Elf Arcanist 8 | HP: 58/58 | AC: 13 (T: 13, F: 10) | CMB: +3, CMD: 16 | F: +5, R: +6, W: +8 | Init: +9 | Perc: +11 | Speed 30 | Arcane Reservoir remaining: 7/11 | Low-light vision | Reroll | Conditions: Sickened

Knowledge (Dungeoneering): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21

Content with the recent appropriation of a new, fitting moniker, Erlathan is happy to explain what he knows. "Now then, let me see what I can recall about the Undermarket. It's comprised of large caverns. A canal flows through it, allowing contraband shipments to flow in from the Embaral Ocean. Deeper into Undermarket, lost crypts, burial chambers, and ancient churches litter the ominous caverns. Even locations that seem to be abandoned are frequently repurposed. Sounds like undead to me," Erlathan raises his index finger up to his head. "Rumors hold that an entrance into the Darklands resides in Deepmarket, hidden among the dozens of tunnels that wind down for miles into the darkness. The Darklands? Aren't there dark dwarves and such there?"

Perhaps a Kn (Geography) roll for the Darklands might be appropriate too? Looking for typical denizens.
Knowledge (Geo): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12

Knowledge (Local): 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (1) + 11 = 12
"As for Goka, I'm not quite so familiar with the place! What about you, friends?"


”Aric of Halvon/The Red Raven | Male NG/CN Medium Human Vigilante 7 | HP 26/66 | AC 21, T 16, FF 16 | CMD 22 | F +5 R +11 W +6 | Init +9 | Perc +10 | Speed 30ft | Hidden strike +4d8/+4d4 | Active Conditions: None

Aric pauses. "Ah yes, the Undermarket..."
K Dungeoneering: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13
"It is composed of large caverns, with a canal flowing through it. You can send in contraband through the Embaral Ocean this way."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (4) + 12 = 16
"You can find pretty much anything down there. Slaves, gambling, firearms- it's down there. There was a quite a lovely elf I met around there once. She was quite entertaining." A grin forms as Aric stares into nothingness, lost in a thought.

"Where was I? Oh yes. There is a store called the Cresting Blossom. They sell silk. We should offer contraband to the proprietor. She will allow us passage to the lower levels."

Grand Lodge

Male CN Nagaji Barbarian (Invulnerable Rager) 4 / Oracle (Dual Cursed) 2/ Rage Prophet 1 | HP: 63/63| AC: 19 (11 Tch, 18 Fl) | CMB: +10 CMD: 21 | F: +8, R: +3, W: +7 (2 vs. mind-affecting effects and poison) | Init: +1 | Perc: +9, SM: +1 | Speed 30ft | Rage=18/18 | | Curse: Lame Second Curse: Tongues | Spells: lvl1=5/5 | Active conditions: None.

Okami quickly gets overwhelmed by the densely packed information and begins fidgeting with his wayfinder.

The narrator would have liked to add, perhaps, a thought or two coursing through the snake man's mind; but it would be as if to ask to describe a mountain torrent coursing through the deserts of Nex: an impossibility.

Silver Crusade

Male Human Cleric 7 HP 52/52 | AC (24)21, T 12, FF 19 |Wands: CLW: 34/50 Bless: 29/50 Prot Evil: 50/50 Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +10 ToG 6/6 Channel 5/8 | Effects: Comprehend Languages, Daylight

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (4) + 12 = 16

Hanlin nods along as the others pass along their knowledge. He tries to befriend the locals but finds nothing further out. "Well that was less than I'd hoped. My apologies."

Silver Crusade

HP: 53/53 l AC: 20, T 13, FF 18 l CMD 19 l F +7, R +5, W +5; +2 vs. illusions, +2 vs. fear/despair l Bond Senses (6/6), Eternal Hope (1/1), Maker's Call (1/1), Summon Monster III (6/6) l L1: 5/5, L2: 4/4 l Init +2 l Senses: Low-Light Vision, Perception -1
Skills:
Craft: Carpentry +10, Intimidate +7,Kn. Arcana +7, Kn. Religion +6, Kn. Dungeoneering +5, Kn. Planes +9, Kn. Engineering +7, Ride +10, Spellcraft +8, UMD +7
Female Gnome Unchained Summoner 6/Fighter (Dragoon) 1 l Active Conditions:

Kn. Dungeoneering: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23

"Yeah, all that stuff that Erlathan and Aric said about the Deepmarket," Nina nods in agreement as the group departs and makes their way out into the Petal District. Perhaps due to her rather charming and innocent demeanor, Nina's able to pick up some interesting bits of information - which she immediately returns to share with the others.

"Hey, I heard from some of the ratfolk of Undermarket that the Aspis Consortium's really been stepping up their recruitment efforts in the last few months," she whispers quietly.


”Aric of Halvon/The Red Raven | Male NG/CN Medium Human Vigilante 7 | HP 26/66 | AC 21, T 16, FF 16 | CMD 22 | F +5 R +11 W +6 | Init +9 | Perc +10 | Speed 30ft | Hidden strike +4d8/+4d4 | Active Conditions: None

He has a disguise bonus but no disguise kit? Thanks, pregens!

"Ah, Aspis. That should keep the Red Raven busy. Usually his contracts pay more for Aspis agents than I." Aric has a practiced chuckle, the kind you'd expect from a nobleman out of his depth.

"Well then, I'll use this disguise kit, then." He turns to Okami. "As we approach the Cresting Blossom, you should use this scroll of disguise self, if you can..."

Disguise check:

Disguise: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

(See Discussion Thread, re Disguise skill mechanics.)

Nina's delightful conversation with a Tian merchant named Mr. Wu went remarkably well. The short, stocky man's accent was a challenge, but she understood enough. Mr. Wu said, "Bak Wai Lo Me... Cocksucka! Sheng Swidgin Cocksucka, he Cresting Blossom, two time left, three time right, cross street."
(Deadwood reference)

When you open the door to the Cresting Blossom, the sound of chiming bells greets you. Inside the shop, the lone merchant Al 'Sheng' Swearengen dusts a multicolored glass vase prominently displayed on the counter. The shop’s walls are lined with fine silk tapestries, and its shelves are stocked with fine glasswork.

"Welcome to the f!%#ing Cresting Blossom, Goka's most illustrious source of rare silk and exquisite glass. What merchandise do you seek this fine, f*&~ing day?"

You look around as you peruse the merchant's wares.

Perception DC30:
The secret entrance to Undermarket is hidden behind one of the tapestries behind the counter.


”Aric of Halvon/The Red Raven | Male NG/CN Medium Human Vigilante 7 | HP 26/66 | AC 21, T 16, FF 16 | CMD 22 | F +5 R +11 W +6 | Init +9 | Perc +10 | Speed 30ft | Hidden strike +4d8/+4d4 | Active Conditions: None

Let's see if I roll a 20 on this Perception check: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24

"What a delightful store you have here!" Aric inspects the merchandise.

You can't make slime shine, no matter how much you polish it.

"I'm looking for the perfect place to transfer my wares. A little spider told me to come here and bring her poison... underneath. Would you be able to help me on this endeavor?"

Bluff: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (17) + 12 = 29

Aric isn't able to get the message across, but at least he didn't make a fool of himself.

Grand Lodge

Tian-Shu Human Kineticist L7 | HP: 73+7/73+7 NL21 | AC:23+1 T:14+1 FF:20 (25% miss ranged except massive wpns & rays) | CMB:6+2 CMD:19+1 | Saves F:13+1+2 R:11+1+2 W:8+2 (+2 vs heat, breaths, clouds, gases) | Init:+3 | Per:+13+2 | Spd: 30 fly 60(gd) | Reroll: 1/1 | Status: burn 3/9 | Buffer: 1/1 | Fortification 0% | Air Wysp HP: 36/36 | Conditions: elemental overflow (+2 Dex, +2 Con); heroism (50m)

Fung looks rather disturbed hearing the list of items, wondering what the Pathfinder Society is doing with such items. But being polite, he doesn't question.

It has been many years since Fung has been in Goka and even then, as a street urchin, the secrets of Undermarket are just that - secrets. The memories growing up in the streets keep Fung quiet while the rest of the team gather all relevant information. He gets somewhat embarassed that while he is back in his homeland, yet he is not able to help much. It has just been too many years, and too many bad memories.

perception: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (18) + 12 = 30
He endeavours simply to keep his sharp eyes open, and they come in very useful indeed for in the shop, he spots a little crack where there shouldn't be one.

stealth: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (10) + 12 = 22
As quietly as he can, Fung whispers to his teammate the location of the secret entrance. But we still need a guide.

1 to 50 of 448 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Lorenzo's #7-15 The Deepmarket Deception (Subtier 6-7) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.