The Crooked Nail, Last Days of the Theatre Infernalis

Game Master Zesdead

'The Crooked Nail'

Party Health
Drin, 9/12HP, 3NL
Euphemia Blaithe, 6/7HP
Oscar Hartwell, 3/7HP
Tessara Omelian, 7/7HP
Velrun Rivertongue, 8/8HP

Maps / Images
Theatre Infernalis
The City State of Castorhage


451 to 500 of 558 << first < prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | next > last >>

Male Human Bard [Arcane Duelist] 1 | 8/8 HP | AC 14, T 12, FF 12, CMD 12 | Fort -1, Ref +3, Will +4 | Init +2 | Perception +5 || Active Conditions: Mage Armor

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14

"We should be getting close now..." Velrun whispers to the others.


Female Human Witch [Hex Channeler] 1 | 5/7 HP | AC 15, T 11, FF 14, CMD 10 | Fort +1, Ref +1, Will +3 | Init +2 | Perception +2 (+4 in arm's reach of Familiar) | Active Buffs: Mage Armor

Perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6

"We should be..." Euphemia casts a wary look to the forcibly disabled automatons.


Female Elf Wood Mystery Oracle (Ancient Lorekeeper)1 | AC 17/11/16 | HP 11/11 | Init+3,Perc+2 | Low light vision | F+2,R+1,W+2 | +2 v enchantment spells and effects | Immune to Sleep | CMD 13

Perception 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (18) + 10 = 28

”I hear a mechanical noise over there. We best be alert, or something is going to jump out and strike at us,” she whispered as she pointed to the sound.


Noble Scion Arcanist. Spells 0/3 1st HP 6/7 AC 15

perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18
"I hear it too. Keep moving, stay on alert." Oscar adds unnecessarily, as he summons a ball of green wytch-fire to overpower the hellish illumination.


Tessara hears it first, a clacking and a clicking within the cracks of the fake walls... and so it is they, rather than their friends who should have reacted quickest when the mechanical imps, the same dilapidated figurines that relentlessly poked the group with their pitchforks several hours earlier in the day.

Initiative for Party and Enemy

Euphemia, Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19
Velrun, Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19
Tessara, Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9
Oscar, Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6

Animated Imps, Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11

Initiative Order
Euphemia, Velrun than
Animated Imps then
Tessara and Oscar

...but no, somehow it is Euphemia and Velrun who have their weapons to hand first.

Euphemia and Velrun may act now


Male Human Bard [Arcane Duelist] 1 | 8/8 HP | AC 14, T 12, FF 12, CMD 12 | Fort -1, Ref +3, Will +4 | Init +2 | Perception +5 || Active Conditions: Mage Armor

Velrun brandishes his weapon, pointing the tip at the closest imp. "Euphemia, strike this one!" He then lunges at the imp. "Concentrate your blows!"

Attack Imp NE of his square.
Rapier: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (16) + 0 = 16
piercing damage: 1d6 ⇒ 1


Female Human Witch [Hex Channeler] 1 | 5/7 HP | AC 15, T 11, FF 14, CMD 10 | Fort +1, Ref +1, Will +3 | Init +2 | Perception +2 (+4 in arm's reach of Familiar) | Active Buffs: Mage Armor

Doing her best to avoid Tess, Euphemia adjusts her grip on the longspear in her hands and joins in Velrun's assault.

Attack: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (12) - 1 = 11
Damage: 1d8 - 1 ⇒ (7) - 1 = 6


Velrun's blow, expertly placed but woefully weak, merely knocks the animated imp off its intended trajectory... although the unintended consequence is that the inexpertly hewn thing is easily within Euphemia's reach - and her spear, catching the thing and then slamming it to the ground, shatters the first of the attackers into a pile of cogs, gearing and wooden scraps...

...but there are three more 'imps', small and clumsy fliers, they move dangerously close to the group - pitchforks jutting forwards almost comically.

Each of the imps, tiny and with zero reach, will attempt to enter the space of Velrun, Tessara and Oscar... each of them can attempt an Attack of Opportunity against the imps before I roll their attacks.


Male Human Bard [Arcane Duelist] 1 | 8/8 HP | AC 14, T 12, FF 12, CMD 12 | Fort -1, Ref +3, Will +4 | Init +2 | Perception +5 || Active Conditions: Mage Armor

AoO Rapier: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (19) + 0 = 19
piercing damage: 1d6 ⇒ 1
Hope they are not immune to crits...
Crit?: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (20) + 0 = 20
Crit damage: 1d6 ⇒ 5


A second imp, its movement jerky and mechanical, is struck by Velrun's rapier... and explodes in a shower of overwound springs, coils and cogs...

Two imps left... one attempting to move into Tessara's space and one into Oscar's space.


Female Elf Wood Mystery Oracle (Ancient Lorekeeper)1 | AC 17/11/16 | HP 11/11 | Init+3,Perc+2 | Low light vision | F+2,R+1,W+2 | +2 v enchantment spells and effects | Immune to Sleep | CMD 13

Tess clumsily swings her dagger, trying to hold off the imp.

Attack 1d20 ⇒ 18
Damage 1d4 ⇒ 2


Noble Scion Arcanist. Spells 0/3 1st HP 6/7 AC 15

Oscar flails wildly with the crossbow, but to little avail.
Oscar does not have a melee weapon drawn, unfortunately. No AoO for him :(


Tessara's dagger, swung with venom at the swiftly approaching mechanical imp, smashes into the pesky thing... the force of the blow knocks it from its crooked trajectory - but is not enough to send it crashing to the floor. Buzzing around the group now, the winged things stab with their miniscule weapons - to little avail!!! An annoyance more than a threat...

Impish Idol 3, pitchfork vs Tessara: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21, Critical Threat
Confirming Critical: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5, Critical Not Confirmed: 1d3 - 2 ⇒ (2) - 2 = 0 damage

Impish Idol 4, pitchfork vs Oscar: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 1 = 14, hitting for 1d3 - 2 ⇒ (2) - 2 = 0

Everyone may act now


Male Human Bard [Arcane Duelist] 1 | 8/8 HP | AC 14, T 12, FF 12, CMD 12 | Fort -1, Ref +3, Will +4 | Init +2 | Perception +5 || Active Conditions: Mage Armor

Velrun continues his attack, this time targeting the one pestering Tessara.

Attack Imp NE of his square.
Rapier: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (7) + 0 = 7
piercing damage: 1d6 ⇒ 1


Oscar stepped back and levelled his crossbow at the miniscule imp. No sooner had the comically oversized missile left his weapon than he was slamming another into place.
attack: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9 dam: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9


Female Elf Wood Mystery Oracle (Ancient Lorekeeper)1 | AC 17/11/16 | HP 11/11 | Init+3,Perc+2 | Low light vision | F+2,R+1,W+2 | +2 v enchantment spells and effects | Immune to Sleep | CMD 13

Tess keeps swinging her dagger, trying to hold off the imp.

Attack 1d20 ⇒ 9
Damage 1d4 ⇒ 4


Female Human Witch [Hex Channeler] 1 | 5/7 HP | AC 15, T 11, FF 14, CMD 10 | Fort +1, Ref +1, Will +3 | Init +2 | Perception +2 (+4 in arm's reach of Familiar) | Active Buffs: Mage Armor

Euphemia takes a step away to thrust the longspear at the impish automaton harassing Oscar.

Attack: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (10) - 1 = 9
Damage: 1d8 - 1 ⇒ (2) - 1 = 1

So Velrun rolled a 7. Oscar rolled an 8. Tess rolled a 9. And Euphie rolled a 10. I am pleased with the numerical progression there.


The miniature attackers prove to be difficult targets as they flutter and dart close to their 'prey'... each time one of the group thinks they have a clear shot at the annoyances, it flits close to one of their friends - and out of reach...

...there is fortune to be had though, as the myriad of blows aimed towards the imps distracts them from their repetitive stabbing - and causes them to miss.

Impish Idol 3, pitchfork vs Tessara: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4, missing

Impish Idol 4, pitchfork vs Oscar: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10, missing

Everyone my act now


Male Human Bard [Arcane Duelist] 1 | 8/8 HP | AC 14, T 12, FF 12, CMD 12 | Fort -1, Ref +3, Will +4 | Init +2 | Perception +5 || Active Conditions: Mage Armor

"U think we have them on the run here!" Velrun crows as he strikes it again.

Attack Imp NE of his square.
Rapier: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (11) + 0 = 11
piercing damage: 1d6 ⇒ 6

Maybe if someone Aids his attack here he can kill one!


Noble Scion Arcanist. Spells 0/3 1st HP 6/7 AC 15

"No." Oscar says grimly "I do not. We need to stop them flitting around!" True to his word he tries to step forward to help Tessara, doing his best to herd the little pest into a corner.
aid - on whomever is appropriate. Ideally Euphemia's longspear if Tess feels like helping as well - I just don't think I can get to Velrun's: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (18) - 1 = 17


Female Elf Wood Mystery Oracle (Ancient Lorekeeper)1 | AC 17/11/16 | HP 11/11 | Init+3,Perc+2 | Low light vision | F+2,R+1,W+2 | +2 v enchantment spells and effects | Immune to Sleep | CMD 13

Tess will try to aid anyone she can, as she can’t hit anything.

Aid another attack 1d20 ⇒ 13


Female Human Witch [Hex Channeler] 1 | 5/7 HP | AC 15, T 11, FF 14, CMD 10 | Fort +1, Ref +1, Will +3 | Init +2 | Perception +2 (+4 in arm's reach of Familiar) | Active Buffs: Mage Armor

Euphemia gives her allies an appreciative nod before striking again at the mechanical imp.

Longspear Attack (Aided): 1d20 - 1 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (7) - 1 + 2 + 2 = 10
Damage: 1d8 - 1 ⇒ (7) - 1 = 6


Weapons flail, small mechanical wings thrum, and still nothing strikes... the whole scene becoming a macabre waltz...

Impish Idol 3, pitchfork vs Tessara: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3, missing

Impish Idol 4, pitchfork vs Oscar: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7, missing

And... the dance continues - Everyone my act now


Male Human Bard [Arcane Duelist] 1 | 8/8 HP | AC 14, T 12, FF 12, CMD 12 | Fort -1, Ref +3, Will +4 | Init +2 | Perception +5 || Active Conditions: Mage Armor

Velrun continues his assault upon the mechanical imp, hoping the gods guide his hand here...

Attack Imp NE of his square.
Rapier: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (2) + 0 = 2
piercing damage: 1d6 ⇒ 4


Noble Scion Arcanist. Spells 0/3 1st HP 6/7 AC 15

"Euphemia! You and I help Tess! Drive it into her dagger."
'How long till one of us falls to these devilish foes?' the noble wonders privately.
aid: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (1) - 1 = 0


Female Elf Wood Mystery Oracle (Ancient Lorekeeper)1 | AC 17/11/16 | HP 11/11 | Init+3,Perc+2 | Low light vision | F+2,R+1,W+2 | +2 v enchantment spells and effects | Immune to Sleep | CMD 13

T ess swings her dagger, trying to hit the imps.

Attack 1d20 ⇒ 2


Female Human Witch [Hex Channeler] 1 | 5/7 HP | AC 15, T 11, FF 14, CMD 10 | Fort +1, Ref +1, Will +3 | Init +2 | Perception +2 (+4 in arm's reach of Familiar) | Active Buffs: Mage Armor

Euphemia is looking rather frazzled, and winces as Tess' blow goes askew. She thrusts the longspear once more.

Attack: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (15) - 1 = 14
Damage: 1d8 - 1 ⇒ (5) - 1 = 4


With a cracking noise as the spear severs cloth wing from wooden imp, Euphemia knocks a third of the strange automata from the air... it lands, with a clattering of cogs falling from its body, in a heap and moves no more. The remaining animated fiend flutters and stabs repeatedly around Oscat - but is more irritant than threat.

Impish Idol 4, pitchfork vs Oscar: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7

Everyone may act now


Female Human Witch [Hex Channeler] 1 | 5/7 HP | AC 15, T 11, FF 14, CMD 10 | Fort +1, Ref +1, Will +3 | Init +2 | Perception +2 (+4 in arm's reach of Familiar) | Active Buffs: Mage Armor

Euphemia sucks in a breath and attempts to steady herself before launching another thrust at the remaining imp.

Longspear Attack: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (1) - 1 = 0

... but her hands are slick with sweat from all the exertion, and she fumbles with the weapon and barely manages to catch it when her grip slips.


Noble Scion Arcanist. Spells 0/3 1st HP 6/7 AC 15

Oscar flails wildly at the imp as he backs away - back into the room. "Surround it!" he cries.
Flanking. Please flanking! 5' back and full defence I think. Happy to try for a roll, but no idea what it is.


Male Human Bard [Arcane Duelist] 1 | 8/8 HP | AC 14, T 12, FF 12, CMD 12 | Fort -1, Ref +3, Will +4 | Init +2 | Perception +5 || Active Conditions: Mage Armor

Velrun moves into position to flank the imp then stabs out at it...

Move to flank. Attack Imp.
Rapier, flank: 1d20 + 0 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 0 + 2 = 5
piercing damage: 1d6 ⇒ 1


Female Elf Wood Mystery Oracle (Ancient Lorekeeper)1 | AC 17/11/16 | HP 11/11 | Init+3,Perc+2 | Low light vision | F+2,R+1,W+2 | +2 v enchantment spells and effects | Immune to Sleep | CMD 13

Tess swings her dagger, trying to hit the imps, doing her best to use the flanking provided.

Attack 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8
Damage 1d4 ⇒ 4


I think with the amount of time that has flowed through the dusty hourglass we can assume the imp's mechanism has finally run down!!!

The group, somehow mesmerised by the flitting of the mechanical imp, have continued poor luck when trying to smash it from the air... steel, wood and curses are swung at the nuisance until finally, with a screech of metal gears catastrophically failing, the automaton drops from the air.

Beyond the wreckage of the imps, the labyrinth continues along to the faux vortex - the painted scenes of an eroded shore on a black river have changed little in this room, though the room’s glass floor covering the spinning vortex below is now covered in a slippery gore.

Map updated


Male Human Bard [Arcane Duelist] 1 | 8/8 HP | AC 14, T 12, FF 12, CMD 12 | Fort -1, Ref +3, Will +4 | Init +2 | Perception +5 || Active Conditions: Mage Armor

Velrun whispers, "Looks like the Maelstrom lies ahead..." he slips quietly towards the opening senses straining for any sounds of hidden threats...

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25


The path had taken them this far... an evening that had promised little more than some tawdry entertainment at the closing Theatre Infernalis and had somehow descended into a run in with a street gang, a fight with a crazed alchymist who had stolen - of all things - a nail... and now this, the theatre, and its staff, has been transformed - animated by strange forces that seep from the labyrinthine spook show... and the nails that had been crudely hammered into the corners of the building? More than one of them is missing... maybe hidden somewhere in the epicentre of this daemonic storm...

...and as to the 'Maelstrom' that the group had, in more 'innocent' times, fallen through? Velrun peers at it - but can see nothing beyond its oily surface.

Actions? It seems the only way onwards is to submit to the Maelstrom and fall through... I mean, there might be cushions!!!


Female Human Witch [Hex Channeler] 1 | 5/7 HP | AC 15, T 11, FF 14, CMD 10 | Fort +1, Ref +1, Will +3 | Init +2 | Perception +2 (+4 in arm's reach of Familiar) | Active Buffs: Mage Armor

As a mouthful of seconds that felt like they spanned an eternity wind down and the automaton collapses to the floor, Euphemia lets out a small noise of relief and eases her posture. "Is everyone alright?" she asks, slowly following Velrun.

The gore-slick Maelstrom earns a look of disgust from her, nose scrunching. "Who wants to go first..?"


The unpleasantness of the maelstrom - it's disorienting spinning and erratic lighting - is worse than the first time the friends visited. What had previously been little more than a foolish 'Got You' trick is slick with a blackened smear of what must surely be blood - and, every so often, the more Velrun listens, there is the sound of something large spasmodically moving just out of sight - as if, something lurks beneath the Maelstrom...


Male Human Bard [Arcane Duelist] 1 | 8/8 HP | AC 14, T 12, FF 12, CMD 12 | Fort -1, Ref +3, Will +4 | Init +2 | Perception +5 || Active Conditions: Mage Armor

Velrun swallows hard, knowing what must await the party at the end of the Maelstrom. Still he could see no alternative.

"I suppose I can lead the way..."

He then prepares as best he can for a fall here crouching his body close together as he steps into the swirling circle.

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20


Stepping forwards onto the slick surface of the 'maelstrom', recalling all too vividly how it had previously collapsed and dumped the entire group of friends onto a hard surface below, Velrun is poised... and, with the soles of his boots sticking to the drying blood on the floor, is ready when a bloodied and vacant eyed Luther - the erstwhile host of the Theatre Infernalis - drags himself through the aperture of the trapdoor... horrifically Luther has been cut in two at the waist - and his entrails, anchoring Luther to the centre of the Maelstrom even as they slop their contents, are caught in some unseen mechanism below...

ooc]Initiative for Party and Enemy[/ooc]

Euphemia, Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22
Velrun, Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12
Oscar, Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10
Tessara - GMPC and acting with enemy initiative

Luther, Initiative: 1d20 ⇒ 2

Initiative Order
Euphemia, Velrun, Oscar then
Luther and Tessara

Everyone may act now - Map is updated


Male Human Bard [Arcane Duelist] 1 | 8/8 HP | AC 14, T 12, FF 12, CMD 12 | Fort -1, Ref +3, Will +4 | Init +2 | Perception +5 || Active Conditions: Mage Armor

Velrun gasps at the horrific spectacle before him yet he somehow manages to cry out an inspiring stanza for one of his favorite tunes!

Inspire Courage: An affected ally receives a +1 morale bonus on saving throws against charm and fear effects and a +1 competence bonus on attack and weapon damage rolls. Round 1 of 6.

EDIT: Velrun will take a 5' step to the side.


Female Human Witch [Hex Channeler] 1 | 5/7 HP | AC 15, T 11, FF 14, CMD 10 | Fort +1, Ref +1, Will +3 | Init +2 | Perception +2 (+4 in arm's reach of Familiar) | Active Buffs: Mage Armor

Euphemia swallows heavily to force back the bile rising in her throat. "I— if you step aside, Velrun, I think I can get him from here!" her voice quavers, but she adjusts her grip on the longspear Oscar had loaned her.

Whether or not Velrun steps aside, the false cleric thrusts the longspear forth towards the mangled body of Luther.

Longspear Attack: 1d20 ⇒ 9 → if Velrun doesn't step aside, Luther has soft cover (+4 AC) against Euphemia's attack. Although with a roll of 9 I don't think it matters right now.
Longspear Damage: 1d8 ⇒ 1

Even with a cheerful song to lighten the air her arms are as sturdy as overcooked noodles.


Noble Scion Arcanist. Spells 0/3 1st HP 6/7 AC 15

Oscar shudders in revulsion - and then in fear as Euphemia steps forward.
"Remember the last one! We need an axe!"


Euphemia's spear tip strikes the glistening surface of the floor before getting wrapped harmlessly in Luther's ostentatious robes... and, if the thing that was once Luther feels any anger at the attack, it is not shown in the dead stare of the corpse dragging itself towards Velrun... lashing out with a metal spike, Luther attempts to slash Velrun's legs...

Luther, Crooked Nail (prone): 1d20 + 5 - 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 - 5 = 15, hitting for 1d4 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5


Noble Scion Arcanist. Spells 0/3 1st HP 6/7 AC 15

"Back away!" Oscar calls "We can keep out of range, go back to the foyer and try to find something to fight with!


Hearing Oscar's call, Tessara - who had been at the back of the group and unable to get near the animated corpse - retreats back into the 'caverns' where the smashed remains of the mechanical imps lie on the floor...

Everyone else retreating?


Male Human Bard [Arcane Duelist] 1 | 8/8 HP | AC 14, T 12, FF 12, CMD 12 | Fort -1, Ref +3, Will +4 | Init +2 | Perception +5 || Active Conditions: Mage Armor

"Yes, a wise plan! We shall fight this monstrosity on our terms, not its!" Velrun exclaims as he pauses his inspiring words and moves back away from the former host of the Theatre.

End Inspire Courage.


Female Human Witch [Hex Channeler] 1 | 5/7 HP | AC 15, T 11, FF 14, CMD 10 | Fort +1, Ref +1, Will +3 | Init +2 | Perception +2 (+4 in arm's reach of Familiar) | Active Buffs: Mage Armor

”I have a knife and I’m only somewhat afraid to use it! I think backing off is good.” Euphemia waits until the others are clear of the Maelstrom before beating her own retreat.


Noble Scion Arcanist. Spells 0/3 1st HP 6/7 AC 15

Oscar follows his own advice, backing away slowly. Not that slowly, though.


The drooling remnants of what was Luther drags itself as far as it can before the viscera dragging behind it catch on the unseen mechanisms below... hurrying quickly away from the horrific scene, the group are back in the bar in no time - and, following their instincts, are looking behind the bar for whatever weapons may be stored there...

...and their suspicions are well-founded - hung out of view, there are four hand-axes... each of which is forged of black steel and embellished with byzantine symbols. Drin, suggesting that he would be better coming into the labyrinth rather than staying on guard outside, takes an axe for himself... hefting it, he smiles...

Going to run Drin as a GMPC

And so... back into the labyrinth or a different approach?


Female Human Witch [Hex Channeler] 1 | 5/7 HP | AC 15, T 11, FF 14, CMD 10 | Fort +1, Ref +1, Will +3 | Init +2 | Perception +2 (+4 in arm's reach of Familiar) | Active Buffs: Mage Armor

Euphemia offers Oscar back his longspear to stow while she retrieves her dagger, and takes a brief moment to examine the strange symbols on the axes and if they bear any relevant mystical meaning.

Knowledge (Arcana): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26

"Back through the Spookshow, then?"

451 to 500 of 558 << first < prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Crooked Nail, A Play in Three Parts All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.