The City of Splendors

Game Master littlehewy

Current battlemap
Map of Ardeep Forest
Map of Waterdeep
Map of the Adventurers' Quarter
Reynwyn's Loot Tracker


1,751 to 1,778 of 1,778 << first < prev | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | next > last >>

10am, 2nd of Marpenoth, 335 NR (1367 DR)

Okey doke, refresh hp, HD, spells etc, and away we go :)

Like the clearing you just resting in, the valley below is likewise wreathed in fog, although your elevation allows you to make out some details of the area below you as you look east over the dale. First, and maybe most importantly, you can see the domed centre of the stone structure rising out of the mist, looking strong and whole despite its apparent age. Furthermore, it seems there is a small lake (or large pool) beyond the dome and to the north. The entire vale is perhaps a half mile across (east-west) and half that wide. The game trail through the hilly pass leads down and into the mist.

As you are about to take your first steps into the fog, Hashima rumbles behind you. "Remember, the sword and anything else you find belong to me. But should you survive and succeed - which I sincerely hope you do - I may allow you to take some baubles with you when you leave to hunt your pale nemesis." With that, he settles back, his impenetrable stare still following your every move.

As you move forward into the fog the cold of the condensation in the air settles into your clothes, your skin, and your very bones. Despite the reasonable pace you set, your teeth begin to chatter as you continue deeper. The cold seems to be more than just physical - it sets into your soul, begins to paralyse your brain. Fingers and toes ache, and hearts and minds are heavy.

So this area has a number of effects on you. For starters, even though the temperature is not actually at freezing levels, you'll need to make exhaustion checks as though it were. So that's a DC 10 Con save every hour, or take a level of exhaustion. Second, all fear-based save DCs are raised by 4. Third, any dice rolled for cold damage can reroll 1s. All make sense?

Now, you've only been walking for ten minutes, and you estimate you're probably a third of the way to the centre. You're still on the trail. Simply continuing, or do you want to do something else?


Male CG Human (Reghed) Barbarian 4 (Zealot) | HP: 47/47, Temp: 0/0 | AC: 14 (currently: 14) | Per +2, Stl +3, Srv +2 | Saves: Str +6*, Dex +1, Con +5*, Int -1, Wis +0, Cha -1 | Init: +1 | Passive Perception 12 | Speed 30ft | Inspiration: No| Hit Dice: 4/4, 1d12+3 | Rage: 3/3 | Active conditions: Rage 0/10

Well away from the green dragon, Revjak states:

"This cold is not natural. Fell magic or worse guardians must lie ahead. But by Tempos, we will see this deed done!"


Anyone else want to chime in on what you want to do?


Male HP: 33(Temp 7/7)/33, AC 17, Saves Str +0, Dex +5, Con +2, Int +0, Will +0, Cha +5. Bardic Inspiration 3/3 Day. 1st Level Spells 4/4. 2nd 3/3. Inspiration 1/1

"We'll have to keep our wits about us but I fear there's little I can do about this cold in this cloying mist. We didn't come prepared for this expedition."

Drawing a blank on how I can help offset the cold truth be told


Male Wood Elf Ranger Monster Slayer (Soldier)/4; AC: 16; HP: 36/36; Passive Perception 14; Init +4 (Adv); Saves: Str +2, Dex +6; HD Used 1/3

Let us just push through on the game trail to that dome. That has to be our destination.


You push on as one, the eerie trees around you seemingly leeching the life out of your bodies and minds. It doesn't take long, however, for the appearance of something that quickens the blood in your veins.

Out from behind a large oak tree steps a figure, white-blue pinpoints of light dancing in its empty eye sockets, its long, half-furled ears waving slowly from side to side. It opens its mouth, speaking in a deep, otherworldly voice, and even those who don't understand it can guess that the language is elvish.

Elvish:
"Who are you that disturb this place. You do not belong here!"

Seemingly becoming agitated, it raises its staff at you, shaking it.

Elvish:
"Leave, now, or face the wrath of Reluraun!"

If you wish to take offensive actions, roll initiative as well as declaring them.


Male Wood Elf Ranger Monster Slayer (Soldier)/4; AC: 16; HP: 36/36; Passive Perception 14; Init +4 (Adv); Saves: Str +2, Dex +6; HD Used 1/3

Carric quickly puts up his fist, and he places an arrow on his bow drawing his aim at the figure.

Attack on me.

Elvish:
Why would we face the wrath of anyone? We simply desire to enter the temple as a part of our pilgrimage in this area. We only seek knowledge.

Deception: 1d20 ⇒ 19


Male CG Human (Reghed) Barbarian 4 (Zealot) | HP: 47/47, Temp: 0/0 | AC: 14 (currently: 14) | Per +2, Stl +3, Srv +2 | Saves: Str +6*, Dex +1, Con +5*, Int -1, Wis +0, Cha -1 | Init: +1 | Passive Perception 12 | Speed 30ft | Inspiration: No| Hit Dice: 4/4, 1d12+3 | Rage: 3/3 | Active conditions: Rage 0/10

Trusting in his friend and fellow warrior, Revjak awaits the signal to fight.

Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5


The figure rises slightly off the ground, its feet dangling inches from the forest floor. It holds its staff out parallel to the ground and bows its head slightly forward, fixing Carric with an intense gaze.

"Ota se yhdeltä, joka on kauan ohittanut elävien maalman: tämä ei ole paikka kuolevaisille. Onnettomat kuolleet eivät arvosta muistutuksia entisestä elämästään, eivätkä kuule heidän suonissansa pulssivien lämpimien olentojen verta eikä puiden läpi soivia kirkkaita, eläviä ääniä. Poistu tästä paikasta, jos jatkat asumista. Reluraunin valtakunnasta ei ole täällä mitään oppimista, vain kuolema."

Elvish:
"Take it from one who has long passed from the world of the living: this is not a place for mortals. The unhappy dead do not appreciate reminders of their former life, neither hearing the blood of warm creatures pulsing through their veins, nor hearing bright, living voices ringing through the trees. Leave this place, if you would continue to live. There is no learning to be found here in Reluraun's realm, only death."


Male HP: 33(Temp 7/7)/33, AC 17, Saves Str +0, Dex +5, Con +2, Int +0, Will +0, Cha +5. Bardic Inspiration 3/3 Day. 1st Level Spells 4/4. 2nd 3/3. Inspiration 1/1

Arthur listens to the conversation with the undead... deciding it might be best to leave Carric take the lead for now. He tries to recall if he's ever heard of this Reluraun before.

+1 More if Religion otherwise for History etc: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 1 = 14


Male Wood Elf Ranger Monster Slayer (Soldier)/4; AC: 16; HP: 36/36; Passive Perception 14; Init +4 (Adv); Saves: Str +2, Dex +6; HD Used 1/3

is there a check here to determine what I can about this creature...Arcana? Religion? Base Int?

Carric keeps his bow trained on him, as he addresses the group.

Apparently if we head to the tomb we will be attacked and killed by the undead creatures there, starting with this one. I do not know that we have a choice...


Anyone who is proficient in Religion can make a check to see what this creature is (spoiler alert - it's undead). Elves or half-elves who grew up in elven society can roll with advantage.

DC 20 Religion:
This creature is a baelnorn, an elven lich. They are usually good and honourable creatures, though you have heard tales of those who have become corrupted in undeath. They are very powerful spellcasters.

Arthur:
You've heard the name Reluraun somewhere in the past, in connection with Ardeep Forest. You can't recall any details, however, except that he was an elf. It seems likely the tomb is his.


Male CG Human (Reghed) Barbarian 4 (Zealot) | HP: 47/47, Temp: 0/0 | AC: 14 (currently: 14) | Per +2, Stl +3, Srv +2 | Saves: Str +6*, Dex +1, Con +5*, Int -1, Wis +0, Cha -1 | Init: +1 | Passive Perception 12 | Speed 30ft | Inspiration: No| Hit Dice: 4/4, 1d12+3 | Rage: 3/3 | Active conditions: Rage 0/10

Revjak looks on, suspicious of this figure.

"I place trust in you all. I would advance upon this tomb, and Azuredge is a bane to the unliving."


Male HP: 33(Temp 7/7)/33, AC 17, Saves Str +0, Dex +5, Con +2, Int +0, Will +0, Cha +5. Bardic Inspiration 3/3 Day. 1st Level Spells 4/4. 2nd 3/3. Inspiration 1/1

Arthur looks conflicted... maybe it would be best to let the dead slumber rather than stir them to action at the behest of the green dragon. "Truth be told, I'm not sure if helping the dragon is the wisest thing we could do. I still seek the Albino but but many a would be hero has become a villain by not considering the ramifications of what they do. I'll not force my agenda on the group without concern. We've hampered it's schemes, if that's where this adventure ends I can live with that. Stirring the silent dead to action could have grave consequences."


Male CG Human (Reghed) Barbarian 4 (Zealot) | HP: 47/47, Temp: 0/0 | AC: 14 (currently: 14) | Per +2, Stl +3, Srv +2 | Saves: Str +6*, Dex +1, Con +5*, Int -1, Wis +0, Cha -1 | Init: +1 | Passive Perception 12 | Speed 30ft | Inspiration: No| Hit Dice: 4/4, 1d12+3 | Rage: 3/3 | Active conditions: Rage 0/10

Revjak looks uncomfortable at this talk. Or in whispering.

"I do not know what is best here. The green beast is not an enemy we can defeat right now, as much as it galls me."


Male Wood Elf Ranger Monster Slayer (Soldier)/4; AC: 16; HP: 36/36; Passive Perception 14; Init +4 (Adv); Saves: Str +2, Dex +6; HD Used 1/3

Religion: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13
Religion: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11


"Flee, mortals. You must flee," the figure says, its hollow, rasping voice now speaking Common. "This may be your last chance..."


What's the plan, folks? Let's make a call one way or the other here. You can flee, you can fight, you can try to continue talking, or anything else you can think of.


Male Wood Elf Ranger Monster Slayer (Soldier)/4; AC: 16; HP: 36/36; Passive Perception 14; Init +4 (Adv); Saves: Str +2, Dex +6; HD Used 1/3

[ooc]Sorry, I tried to figure out as much as I could, but I do not think abandoning the job of Green Dragon is a smart move. I will attack, and I am pretty sure Revjak and Azure Edge will join in the fun against undead.[/b]


Male Wood Elf Ranger Monster Slayer (Soldier)/4; AC: 16; HP: 36/36; Passive Perception 14; Init +4 (Adv); Saves: Str +2, Dex +6; HD Used 1/3

Initiative: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15

Round 1, Slayer's Prey

Carric fires at the undead and moves to the nearest cover.

LB Att: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21
LB Dam: 1d8 + 4 + 2 + 1d6 ⇒ (3) + 4 + 2 + (4) = 13


Male HP: 33(Temp 7/7)/33, AC 17, Saves Str +0, Dex +5, Con +2, Int +0, Will +0, Cha +5. Bardic Inspiration 3/3 Day. 1st Level Spells 4/4. 2nd 3/3. Inspiration 1/1

Arthur is conflicted so will just back in for Carric's snap decision


Male CG Human (Reghed) Barbarian 4 (Zealot) | HP: 47/47, Temp: 0/0 | AC: 14 (currently: 14) | Per +2, Stl +3, Srv +2 | Saves: Str +6*, Dex +1, Con +5*, Int -1, Wis +0, Cha -1 | Init: +1 | Passive Perception 12 | Speed 30ft | Inspiration: No| Hit Dice: 4/4, 1d12+3 | Rage: 3/3 | Active conditions: Rage 0/10

With a heavier heart than he would expect for battling the unliving, Revjak charges!

Radiant damage on first hit: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3

Azuredge: 1d20 + 6 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 6 + 3 = 15

Damage: 1d10 + 4 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 4 + 3 = 12

Azuredge End: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19

Damage: 1d4 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6


Male HP: 33(Temp 7/7)/33, AC 17, Saves Str +0, Dex +5, Con +2, Int +0, Will +0, Cha +5. Bardic Inspiration 3/3 Day. 1st Level Spells 4/4. 2nd 3/3. Inspiration 1/1

Arthur didn't hesitate when Carric attacked, the time for consideration was over. He drove his rapier before him towards the ghost.
Rapier: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14
Damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4


Bold decision Carric! Those who haven't rolled initiative, go for it, and I'll give Reynwyn another day to chime in before I bot him.


Male Wood Elf Ranger Monster Slayer (Soldier)/4; AC: 16; HP: 36/36; Passive Perception 14; Init +4 (Adv); Saves: Str +2, Dex +6; HD Used 1/3

Well, it is undead, and we needed to do something. I was thinking that following the Dragon's orders are better than running from a threat and having such a formidable enemy at our backs.


Male CG Human (Reghed) Barbarian 4 (Zealot) | HP: 47/47, Temp: 0/0 | AC: 14 (currently: 14) | Per +2, Stl +3, Srv +2 | Saves: Str +6*, Dex +1, Con +5*, Int -1, Wis +0, Cha -1 | Init: +1 | Passive Perception 12 | Speed 30ft | Inspiration: No| Hit Dice: 4/4, 1d12+3 | Rage: 3/3 | Active conditions: Rage 0/10

For once, Revjak is more hesitant about attacking an enemy than I am. He is a little superstitious after all and didn't understand the elven speech. But he does see the undead as an enemy by default, and trusts his companions.


Male HP: 33(Temp 7/7)/33, AC 17, Saves Str +0, Dex +5, Con +2, Int +0, Will +0, Cha +5. Bardic Inspiration 3/3 Day. 1st Level Spells 4/4. 2nd 3/3. Inspiration 1/1

Initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16


Male CG Human (Reghed) Barbarian 4 (Zealot) | HP: 47/47, Temp: 0/0 | AC: 14 (currently: 14) | Per +2, Stl +3, Srv +2 | Saves: Str +6*, Dex +1, Con +5*, Int -1, Wis +0, Cha -1 | Init: +1 | Passive Perception 12 | Speed 30ft | Inspiration: No| Hit Dice: 4/4, 1d12+3 | Rage: 3/3 | Active conditions: Rage 0/10

Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7

1,751 to 1,778 of 1,778 << first < prev | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / City of Splendors Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.