Return of Winter by Artofregicide

Game Master Artofregicide

Handy Links:

Loot Tracker

Battle Map


2,451 to 2,500 of 2,565 << first < prev | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | next > last >>

An anxious hour passes as Goliath and Irina manipulate the complex arcane machinery of the Pale Tower. A sudden wave of relief fills the room as a single point of white light fades from the translucent globe, and then the projected image of Golarion itself goes dark and disappears. Even the summoning circle seems to have lost it's potency.

Far, far away in Talador, the Border Wood Winter Portal closes. The Snows of Summer, at least for Heldren, are over. But across Golarion, countless other portals continue to spread the inevitable advance of Irrisen's supernatural winter.

Nonetheless, this is a victory.

As you stand in the Jadwiga's sanctum, an image appears in each of your heads. A great city, with gleaming white spires and domes, perched upon snowy cliffs overlooking a great frozen lake. A single word, spoken in a rasping crone's voice is heard in each of your minds:

"Whitethrone".

You realize that the mantle is guiding you to this city, Whitethrone. All four of you. For the black rider's mantle has now been shared with Cylina and Goliath, both boons and demands. Only Nadya has been left out of this witchcraft, though you imagine her fate is still tied to yours for the moment.

What do you do?

1,200 experience gained. Split 4 ways that's 300 XP each.

Additionally, Cylina and Goliath gain the Black Rider's mantle, including his boon. Each may permanently increase an ability score by 2.


Loot 35/35 AC 24 Resistance 10 Cold 24/34 AC 19 Resources

Golaith's body seems to be filled with even more strength as he toils over complex magics that initially seem foreign compared to natural magic but slowly he finds the connections. As he does though, his mind becomes fixated on some point of focus far away.

With his take complete he knows he is bound to a goal that he may have possessed all along.

"Well if we are going to do this, and I don't see any other option we need food and water, rope, tents, survival equipment."

Liberty's Edge

male human fighter 1/Rngr 3| HP 36| AC 15; Touch 11; FF 13 | F +8; R +5; W +3 | CMB+9; CMD 20| Speed 30 ft | Init +1 | Perc +8 | Stealth: +5 Fighter 1/Rngr 3
Goliath Maul wrote:
"Well if we are going to do this, and I don't see any other option we need food and water, rope, tents, survival equipment."

"I don't feel the bite as much as some. But I agree we should get some things."

Wulfgang has the Rugged Northerner feat


Loot 35/35 AC 24 Resistance 10 Cold 24/34 AC 19 Resources

"I have made the purchases that I need as well as a few for the group. Therm and I are ready to head out."


Female human (Varisian) witch (winter witch) 3 CG Medium humanoid (human) Init +1; Senses Perception +3 AC 15, T 11, FF 14 hp 20/21 Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +3

"Whitethrone?" Irina shudders. "I really don't want to go there." She looks nervous about traveling further into the realm of the Jadwiga.


Human Female (Irriseni) Cleric 4 of Milani | HP 27/27 | AC 19 T 11 FF 18 | F +6 R +2 W +8 | Init +1 | Perc +3

Cylina's pale face grew even more white as the image of the frozen city flashed in her mind, along with the magical compulsion to travel there. As Goliath matter-of-factly spoke of prepping for the journey, the redhead managed to calm down slightly, nodding. "I am ready, as well. I was born here, so I can weather the cold well enough. I feel we may want to resupply once we get to Whitethrone, though, if we can do so without raising suspicion."

This was IT. The party had become enemies of Irrisen the moment they strolled into the Pale Tower, but it had still been a relatively isolated outpost. There had always been the possibility of melting back into the background and possibly avoiding the backlash that would follow. Traveling to the heart of the power of the jadwiga would ensure that the group would be balancing on a tight rope of danger. Cylina only hoped that whatever force was guiding them on the inside had an endgame in mind.


Loot 35/35 AC 24 Resistance 10 Cold 24/34 AC 19 Resources

"I will do my best to watch out for you. I know it is an awful place for most people, but their are good people there suffering and now that suffering is spreading beyond our boarders. Dispite growing up in a druid circle I have spent much of my adult life in cities I will do what I can to keep you all safe."


Quiet all this time, Nadya speaks up:

"I am twenty six years old. In that time, I have had much happiness. And the Jadwiga have taken it from me out of spite.

Tears roll down her cheeks as she continues.

"First my husband, Hjalnek. Now my precious Thora. Orm and Mjoli are all I have left. But I will not them win. I will bring you to Whitethrone, though the path is perilous and no doubt Nazhena's retribution will be coming. My uncle Ringeirr has long lived in the fishing camps outside Whitethrone, and is particularly adept in moving in and out of the witches' city. I will bring you to him, on the condition that you help bring my boys to the village of Ellsprin. It is on the way, and they will be safe there. Please, the longer we stay in Walsby the more danger we place upon it and upon ourselves."

She wipes her face and looks upon you pleading.


Loot 35/35 AC 24 Resistance 10 Cold 24/34 AC 19 Resources

"I believe with our combined efforts we can keep your family safe and take them to Ellsprin. I won't speak for everyone else but I would be happy to help and happier still to have your assistance."

Liberty's Edge

male human fighter 1/Rngr 3| HP 36| AC 15; Touch 11; FF 13 | F +8; R +5; W +3 | CMB+9; CMD 20| Speed 30 ft | Init +1 | Perc +8 | Stealth: +5 Fighter 1/Rngr 3

Wulfgang turns to Nadya.

"I would see you and your family safe and end the threat of the evil witches. If an end to Nazhena is there, I would help you find justice and seek our way as well. But I would use my axe to protect you too."


Loot 35/35 AC 24 Resistance 10 Cold 24/34 AC 19 Resources

"Okay then, let's hit the road. Bundle the little ones uptight."


Female human (Varisian) witch (winter witch) 3 CG Medium humanoid (human) Init +1; Senses Perception +3 AC 15, T 11, FF 14 hp 20/21 Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +3

"Of course we want your sons to be safe. We'll take the to the village." Irina agrees.


Human Female (Irriseni) Cleric 4 of Milani | HP 27/27 | AC 19 T 11 FF 18 | F +6 R +2 W +8 | Init +1 | Perc +3

Cylina reached out and grasped the other woman's shoulder. "Of course we shall do this. There might be grave consequences for what we have done here, but it might be cause for celebration. For we assaulted the tower of a winter witch and were victorious. That tale will spread, and hope will bloom in this land. In the meantime, let us ensure that your boys are safe before we travel to the cold heart of this land."


Loot 35/35 AC 24 Resistance 10 Cold 24/34 AC 19 Resources

Goliath bellows, "Good we have quorum. If you need anything carried load them on the Therm. Orm and Mjoli would you like to ride Therm. He is very gentle. Therm can keep them away from danger or you can keep them with you and Therm will protect them."

Liberty's Edge

male human fighter 1/Rngr 3| HP 36| AC 15; Touch 11; FF 13 | F +8; R +5; W +3 | CMB+9; CMD 20| Speed 30 ft | Init +1 | Perc +8 | Stealth: +5 Fighter 1/Rngr 3

"We have a horse too. I can help care for him. Let us set off"


Road to Whitethrone: Day One

Nadya assures you that leaving in the evening is a fool's errand, and that it would be best to wait until the next morning to depart. You make your preparations and break bread at Nadya's home. You soon learn that the house spirit, Hatch, will be accompanying you as well. It's still an emotional goodbye for the Petska family, leaving the only home they've ever known behind. The twin boys don't understand why they're leaving, but sense the seriousness in their mother's voice.

Nadya is beside herself with gratitude when the party offers their newly purchased sleigh to carry her boys and domnovi, along with what possessions and provisions she has. Everyone is bundled up warmly, which doubles as a disguise to deflect unwanted attention.

You set out at the first hint of dawn, but soon after the sun rises into a brilliant blue sky. The road to Whitethrone is more of a well traveled path, as blanketed in snow as the rest of the landscape. The only other travelers you meet are a group of laborers heading the opposite way. They chat briefly chat with Nadya in hushed tones, then pass you by without incident. Your guide tells you that:

"They're traveling to the lumber camps on the outskirts of Hoarwood.
It's risky work, but puts food on the table for their families."

You continue another another two hours before stopping on a hilltop around midday for a brief rest and lunch. Nadya let's her children play but keeps a close eye on them.

Everyone make a perception check


Loot 35/35 AC 24 Resistance 10 Cold 24/34 AC 19 Resources

Goliath walks around there little lunch spot scan the horizon and the land in between always looking for potential dangers as well as any sign nature will give him.

Percpetion: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (17) + 13 = 30

Goliath has his travel spell prepared.


Human Female (Irriseni) Cleric 4 of Milani | HP 27/27 | AC 19 T 11 FF 18 | F +6 R +2 W +8 | Init +1 | Perc +3

Cylina also has a heavy horse that she presumably left back at Nadya's.

Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10

Cylina nodded at Nadya's explanation of the lumberjacks, such a sight being quite familiar in the icy land of Irrisen. Wood was a precious commodity in the cold region, being used for both dwellings and heat. And with the summers being short, the conditions weren't very well-suited for plant life.

Still, the redhead was quite happy to be on their way to Whitethrone, her anxiety on the backburner, for now. They had escaped the Pale Tower after evicting its resident, and were now doing good work in relocating Nadya and her two boys. The priestess still felt the barely palpable weight of the Black Mantle resting upon her shoulders, but for now the geas slumbered as they made their way through the countryside.

Liberty's Edge

male human fighter 1/Rngr 3| HP 36| AC 15; Touch 11; FF 13 | F +8; R +5; W +3 | CMB+9; CMD 20| Speed 30 ft | Init +1 | Perc +8 | Stealth: +5 Fighter 1/Rngr 3

Wulfgang looks around for signs of trouble.

I hope the children are fine

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27


Female human (Varisian) witch (winter witch) 3 CG Medium humanoid (human) Init +1; Senses Perception +3 AC 15, T 11, FF 14 hp 20/21 Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +3

Irina lets Wraak play with the twins during the lunch break. The fox frolics with them in the snow. He hides and jumps out when the children are close to him.

Irina watches the fox with a slight smile. "I wish I'd had someone to play like that when I was younger."

Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18


Road to Whitethrone: Day One

All but Cylina notice that you're being watched by countless eyes. Black feathered ravens stark against the white landscape, now numbering on the hundreds. None have come very close, but they're increasingly numerous as more and more silently join the avian ranks. So far, they've not shown any sign of aggression, but they are definitely observing you.

When you point this out to Nadya, she quickly herds her children to the covered sleigh, then turns to the rest of you:

"Ravens are the eyes and ears of the Jadwiga. No doubt our actions at the Pale Tower have already brought their interest. Perhaps they have contacted the woman from the rookery, but more likely this is their direct witchcraft. We are unlikely to lose them easily."

Nadya does her best to look brave and comforting in front of her children, but it's clear to you that she's nervous.


Loot 35/35 AC 24 Resistance 10 Cold 24/34 AC 19 Resources

"We will watch you as long as we are with you. Once we part ways we cause enough trouble that the Jadwiga's eyes will be focused on us and away from your family. I'm fairly certain we will be taking focus and y will not have much attention for children. I think it would be wise to keep moving whenever possible."

Liberty's Edge

male human fighter 1/Rngr 3| HP 36| AC 15; Touch 11; FF 13 | F +8; R +5; W +3 | CMB+9; CMD 20| Speed 30 ft | Init +1 | Perc +8 | Stealth: +5 Fighter 1/Rngr 3

"Perhaps we should make efforts to hide?"


Loot 35/35 AC 24 Resistance 10 Cold 24/34 AC 19 Resources

"You may be right. When you are my size hiding is never the first thing that comes to mind but if you all can lead the effort I will do what I can to help."


Female human (Varisian) witch (winter witch) 3 CG Medium humanoid (human) Init +1; Senses Perception +3 AC 15, T 11, FF 14 hp 20/21 Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +3

Are there trees that we can try to hide under while traveling?"

I hate those ravens." She glares at them, and moves to the sled to watch over the children.


Unfortunately, you've been looking observed by the flock for hours now, which began with a few harmless birds and has progressed into a full treachery of ravens. Without use of magic, it would be impossible to lose so many eyes, even if you weren't on a sparsely forested hillside. And they roost on on every bare branch in all directions, silently observing. But your attention changes this after a minute or two. You hear a growing chorus of shrill calls, as thousands of tiny avian creatures take to wing. They swirl together into a pair of great feathered cyclones of darkness.

"This, this cannot be natural..." Nadya whispers.

Everyone who can should roll knowledge nature.

Nadya Knowledge (nature): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10


Loot 35/35 AC 24 Resistance 10 Cold 24/34 AC 19 Resources

Nature: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27


Human Female (Irriseni) Cleric 4 of Milani | HP 27/27 | AC 19 T 11 FF 18 | F +6 R +2 W +8 | Init +1 | Perc +3

Unsure of how the group could hide from so many of the damnable birds, Cylina put on a brave face, though she was quite uneasy about so many potential spies for the jadwiga winging about. When the crows started to coalesce into more tightly packed flocks, the priestess didn't doubt their intent was sinister in nature. She silently glanced at Nadya, gesturing for the woman and her children to stay close. Flight might seem wise, but the cleric could only use her gifts on those relatively nearby.

Liberty's Edge

male human fighter 1/Rngr 3| HP 36| AC 15; Touch 11; FF 13 | F +8; R +5; W +3 | CMB+9; CMD 20| Speed 30 ft | Init +1 | Perc +8 | Stealth: +5 Fighter 1/Rngr 3

Wulfgang watches the ravens as well.

Knowledge Nature: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10


Female human (Varisian) witch (winter witch) 3 CG Medium humanoid (human) Init +1; Senses Perception +3 AC 15, T 11, FF 14 hp 20/21 Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +3

Know Nature: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (6) + 10 = 16

"That's bad, and I agree not natural." She keeps glancing at the birds. "I'm afraid they are going to attack or someone is about to arrive."


Suddenly, the twin maelstroms of furious shrieking rush towards you from either direction, the thunderous sound of thousands of beating wings and enraged ravens nearly deafening you. The sheer speed of their turn catches many of you off guard, but not the witch Irina, nor the druid Goliath, who both manage to react before the screeching, cawing whirlwind of buffeting wings, clawing talons and pecking beaks hit you...

Initiative
Goliath Maul 21 (surprise round)
Nadya Petska Initiative 19
Irina Miklos 14 (surprise round)
Wolfgang Viking 12
Raven Swarm Initiative 7 (surprise round)
Cylina Vendrithe 7

Initiative:
Goliath Maul Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21
Wolfgang Viking Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12
Irina Miklos Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 1 = 14
Cylina Vendrithe Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7

Raven Swarm Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7
Nadya Petska Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19

Goliath and Irina may act in the surprise round, having succeeded a DC15 knowledge (nature) check. The raven swarms will also act in the surprise round. I have rolled initiative for everyone.

Map Link

You may (and are encouraged) to place your tokens on the map wherever you want, as long as they're within the red box I've put down.

You have dealt with a Raven Swarm before (in the Pale Tower), but go ahead and make knowledge (nature checks) if you wish. Only read the spoilers if you make the DC and all lower DCs. This is trained only.

Knowledge (nature) DC13:
This swarm is made up of countless furious avians, whose most noticeable and horrifying trait is their preference for attacking the faces and eyes of their victims. They have an "Eye Rake" ability, which blinds a creature often for several days or can be dealt with a healer's attention. You remember this from when it affected Wulfgang.

You also know that they have all swarm and animal traits. As a diminutive swarm, they aren't immune to weapon damage but take half from non-bludgeoning, and are vulnerable to area of affect spells.

Knowledge (nature) DC18:
Much like many animals, ravens have keen senses of hearing and sight, as well as scent, meaning they can potentially chase after invisible or hiding creatures.

Knowledge (nature) DC23:
Ravens are unusually intelligent birds, but in a swarm they act almost as a single organism. They can be affected by mind-affecting spells, and are in fact quite weak to them, but only if they target the entire swarm and not a single member (which essentially makes no difference at all).

Knowledge (nature) DC28:
Irrisen ravens are specifically raised by the Jadwiga as messengers and spies. Unless you manage to annihilate every member of the swarm (reducing it to 0 hp just disperses it) they will no doubt report to their mistresses.


Loot 35/35 AC 24 Resistance 10 Cold 24/34 AC 19 Resources

Nature: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16

Goliath will move toward the swarm from the side of the cart and call Therm.

"Once they get close we can hit them. If anyone has a spell that can hit a bunch at once that would be good. Keep some distance from one another then they can't attack a bunch of us."


Irina swiftly draws her sling, hoping she can load it before the onslaught is upon her. And the onslaught does come at breakneck speed, as a wall of wings, beaks and claws comes crashing down on you. Yet, the ravens organizing themselves clearly took more time and effort than you expected. You have a moment- but only a moment to brace yourselves.

And then they will be upon you.

Initiative:
Goliath Maul 21
Nadya Petska Initiative 19
Irina Miklos 14
Wolfgang Viking 12
Raven Swarm Initiative 7
Cylina Vendrithe 7

Everyone may act now. The raven swarms are not flatfooted (nor will anyone except Cylina be). Cylina's actions will happen after the raven swarms' turn, but please post now. Feel free to move *your* tokens on the map if needed.

Battle Map


Loot 35/35 AC 24 Resistance 10 Cold 24/34 AC 19 Resources

Golaith calls out to Therm and they move into a practiced position and they attack in unison.

Flanking Power Attack Quarterstaff TH (B): 1d20 + 8 - 1 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 8 - 1 + 3 = 19
Damage: 1d6 + 10 ⇒ (1) + 10 = 11

Flanking Slam: 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 5 + 2 = 21
Damage: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5

Liberty's Edge

male human fighter 1/Rngr 3| HP 36| AC 15; Touch 11; FF 13 | F +8; R +5; W +3 | CMB+9; CMD 20| Speed 30 ft | Init +1 | Perc +8 | Stealth: +5 Fighter 1/Rngr 3

Wulfgang swings at the birds near him.

Power attack: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 23

damage: 1d12 + 12 ⇒ (4) + 12 = 16


Female human (Varisian) witch (winter witch) 3 CG Medium humanoid (human) Init +1; Senses Perception +3 AC 15, T 11, FF 14 hp 20/21 Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +3

Irina lets her sling bullet fly. And calls out, "I hate these swarms. They are horrible. Last time we tried to hide, and it didn't work. Get the children under cover on the sled. We don't want them hurt. Don't forget to watch your eyes, and strike them with bludgeoning weapons if you can."

Know Nature: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (15) + 10 = 25
Sling: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21
Damage: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5


Loot 35/35 AC 24 Resistance 10 Cold 24/34 AC 19 Resources

"Irina I have 4 alchemist's fire in my pack. But that might be all we have for the whole trip. If things get bad they are in the right pocket."


Human Female (Irriseni) Cleric 4 of Milani | HP 27/27 | AC 19 T 11 FF 18 | F +6 R +2 W +8 | Init +1 | Perc +3

Cylina could only helplessly watch as the ravens descended upon the group. She remembered vividly the creatures pecking and tearing at Wulfgang's eyes, and it was all she could do to not run away from them in a panic. She glanced at Nadya and the children, though, and steeled herself, her weapon at the ready for when the swarm inevitably came closer.

Morningstar: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15
Damage: 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6

Liberty's Edge

male human fighter 1/Rngr 3| HP 36| AC 15; Touch 11; FF 13 | F +8; R +5; W +3 | CMB+9; CMD 20| Speed 30 ft | Init +1 | Perc +8 | Stealth: +5 Fighter 1/Rngr 3

"Thanks Goliath! My axe seemed to work as well!"


WIP pending rolls...

Wulfgang, Goliath, and Therm charge straight into the oncoming storm of wings, bringing their own furious onslaught of axe, quarterstaff, and crushing tusks. They lay out dozens of ravens, red blood and black feathers littering the white snow. Just as suddenly, the swarm disperses, the survivors fleeing in panic in all directions.

The other swarm finds only a little more success. Irina's hurled bullet cracks fragile bone and drops a half dozen birds, while experienced huntress Nadya makes two practiced swings with her handaxe, rending a dozen more. But then the wave hits. Cylina, perhaps out of panic or distraction is taken off guard, only managing to swing after she's surrounded. The ravens buffet, peck, and claw. True to expectations, they go for the face and eyes 3 swarm damage, DC11 Fort or nauseated 1 round, DC11 reflex or blinded 1d4 days. Nausea will negate Cylina's attack and blindness gives a 50% miss chance.

Hatch and the children hide under sleigh, so far protected from the swarm which threatens their mother and Cylina.

Battle Map

Initiative:
Goliath Maul 21
Nadya Petska Initiative 19
Irina Miklos 14
Wolfgang Viking 12
Raven Swarm Initiative 7
Cylina Vendrithe 7

Cylina does not get an AoO because she's flatfooted still.

GM Screen (Do not look without reason):

Nadya HP: 21/24

Nadya readied action (handaxe): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23 Raven Swarm AC14
Nadya (handaxe) damage: 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8 half damage

Nadya AoO (handaxe): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26 Raven Swarm AC14
Nadya (handaxe) damage: 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9 half damage

Raven Swarm Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 3 Nadya, Cylina

Nadya Fort Save: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12 DC11 distraction
Nadya Reflex Save: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14 DC11 eye-rake


Loot 35/35 AC 24 Resistance 10 Cold 24/34 AC 19 Resources

Goliath and Therm hustle over to try and help. It's a double move for both of them.


Female human (Varisian) witch (winter witch) 3 CG Medium humanoid (human) Init +1; Senses Perception +3 AC 15, T 11, FF 14 hp 20/21 Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +3

Irina moves closer to the other swarm and reloads her sling as she moves. She lets another stone fly.

Sling: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10
Damage: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4


Human Female (Irriseni) Cleric 4 of Milani | HP 27/27 | AC 19 T 11 FF 18 | F +6 R +2 W +8 | Init +1 | Perc +3

Fort: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25
Reflex: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11

The priestess cried out as the ravens swarmed around her, feeling stinging from several uncovered locations as the talons and beaks tore at her. Managing to keep her wits about her enough, she kept her eyes shielded behind her arm while the onslaught occurred, even managing to wave her weapon around a bit to try to bat a few of the creatures out of the air.

I suppose the previous attack and damage roll will be ok, but if you want me to make a new one, I shall.

Liberty's Edge

male human fighter 1/Rngr 3| HP 36| AC 15; Touch 11; FF 13 | F +8; R +5; W +3 | CMB+9; CMD 20| Speed 30 ft | Init +1 | Perc +8 | Stealth: +5 Fighter 1/Rngr 3

Wulfgang moves and attacks the other swarm.

power attack: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25

damage: 1d12 + 12 ⇒ (11) + 12 = 23


Both women stand their ground bravely, rewarded with dozens of superficial cuts and punctures but no serious wounds. They manage to guard their faces against the raging avians and steel their stomachs against the horror of the birds. And with a mighty swing, the redheaded woman catches a gaggle of winged creatures, knocking the surprised ravens to the ground, many of them dead. Shocked by the ferocity of their foes, the second column of flyers disbands in a panic just before Wulfgang can reach them. He still manages to cleave a pair of enraged avians in two. Hundreds, maybe thousands of dark feathered ravens take to the skies, crying out in terror and rage. Quickly they disappear over the horizon. But the direction they flee is ominous- towards Whitethrone.

Wiping the blood from her face, Nadya ducks underneath the sled to console her children.

"Boys, it's okay now. I'm here for you. You can come out. Hatch, I owe you everything for keeping them safe."

The tiny, gnarled house spirit merely nods. Nadya, embracing both her children turns to the rest of you:

"And to you. You've done so much in so little time. But we must press on. No doubt that's not the last we'll hear of the Jadwiga..."

And there you are, standing on a hilltop littered with dead, dying, and injured ravens. Simple, harmless beasts turned into a weapon by witchcraft.

What do you do? It's still about 1:00pm.

You are now out of combat.

Total 1600 XP, split 4 ways that's 400 XP each.

No valuables on the ravens, they're just birds.


Loot 35/35 AC 24 Resistance 10 Cold 24/34 AC 19 Resources

"Let get a move on while they don't have eyes on us. The farther we get the more energy and resources they will have to spend finding us again."

Goliath lifts the children on to the cart.

"Get in back now."

Then he takes the reigns of the horses and starts walking beside them.

"Therm heel."

The strange elephant-like creature plods along beside him. During the trip, Goliath keeps an eye out for any shrub berries like winter berry.


Loot 35/35 AC 24 Resistance 10 Cold 24/34 AC 19 Resources

Perception: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (9) + 13 = 22
Perception Therm will aid: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24

Well maybe tomorrow.


Female human (Varisian) witch (winter witch) 3 CG Medium humanoid (human) Init +1; Senses Perception +3 AC 15, T 11, FF 14 hp 20/21 Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +3

"They will send more to stand against us." She puts Wraak in the sled with the twins to help them calm if they need it. "Hold on to him please. He needs some pets." she tells the boys.

Liberty's Edge

male human fighter 1/Rngr 3| HP 36| AC 15; Touch 11; FF 13 | F +8; R +5; W +3 | CMB+9; CMD 20| Speed 30 ft | Init +1 | Perc +8 | Stealth: +5 Fighter 1/Rngr 3

"Yes lets keep moving, it will get colder at dark. We should make as much headway today as we can"


Human Female (Irriseni) Cleric 4 of Milani | HP 27/27 | AC 19 T 11 FF 18 | F +6 R +2 W +8 | Init +1 | Perc +3

Cylina stared after the retreating remains of the massive flock of ravens with a bit of dread, the birds flying off in the direction the companions had been headed. All in Irrisen knew the treacherous birds were the tools of the jadwiga. The group would likely be expected in Whitethrone. Still, there was little to do but heed the insistent tug the black mantle had placed upon her and continue.

"Agreed. Finding a suitable shelter before dark would be preferable."

2,451 to 2,500 of 2,565 << first < prev | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Reign of Winter by DM DoctorEvil All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.