Reign of Winter by GM DoctorEvil

Game Master DM DoctorEvil

Pale Tower - Aerie map

Map of Heldren

Loot Tracker


2,251 to 2,280 of 2,280 << first < prev | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | next > last >>

Aerie - Round 2 - continued

Ruso moves out of the flurry of ravens and grabs his bow after dropping his rapier. He fires once at the flying sylph and scores a hit, even if its only limited damage.

The swarm of ravens moves to the closest target, pummeling against Wulfgang for limited damage. However, the birds talons successfully rake at the ranger's eyes, blinding him.

Wulgang takes just 1hp dmg, but is blinded, duration is 4 DAYS! Unless a remove blindess is used on him. Cylina and the blind Wulfgang are up now.

Raven Swarm dmg to Wulfgang: 1d6 ⇒ 1
Wulfgang DC 14 Reflex: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11
Wulfgang DC 14 Fort: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26
Blindness duration: 1d4 ⇒ 4


Human Female (Irriseni) Cleric 3 of Milani | HP 18/21 | AC 19 T 11 FF 18 | F +5 R +2 W +6 | Init +1 | Perc +3

Hearing the northman cry out in pain and frustration as the raven swarm swept over him, there was little the priestess could do for him at the moment. Instead, she trained her crossbow on the floating woman, but the distraction of the ravens was too much and her aim was off. Cursing, Cylina reloaded her crossbow and hoped the others would have better luck.

MW Light Crossbow: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7


Will invoke the 24-hr rule on Wulfgang and run him to keep the line moving, blinded his options are somewhat limited anyway.

Aerie - Round 2 - continued

Cylina's shot flies wide of the mark, narrowly missing the airborne outsider.

His eyes raked and his vision suffering, he drops his bow, pulls out his greataxe and lashes out at the swarm of ravens around him, flailing and only hoping to make contact but sightless his attack is ineffective.

Flying in the air, the sylph woman moves to the center of the room, makes casting motions, and the air around her is filled with an even stronger wind in a vertical plane that stretches around her for about 30'.

Spellcraft DC 18:
You can tell that she cast the spell wind wall, which creates a barrier of wind that most projectiles cannot pass through.

It appears that Irina is up followed by Radzislau and Nadya

Wulfgang miss chance, 50%, low is miss: 1d100 ⇒ 14


Female human (Varisian) witch (winter witch) 3 CG Medium humanoid (human) Init +1; Senses Perception +3 AC 15, T 11, FF 14 hp 20/21 Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +3

Irina looks at the woman, and then at the ravens. "That's wind wall. Shooting at her from this side won't do much good." She moves closer to the fight, and gives the sylph the evil eye again. This time trying to affect her

Spellcraft: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (11) + 11 = 22
Know Planes the sylph: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21
DC 16 or -2 to Saves for eight rounds otherwise one round.


Aerie - Round 2 - concluded

Irina identifies the wind-borne spell cast by the air=loving sylph, knowing it is a barrier to deflect arrows and other projectiles. Instead of firing into it, she moves closer and repeats the evil eye, this time targeting the cleric's saves most effectively.

Hearing that shooting the floating woman would likely not be effective, Radzislau tosses his bow aside and moves across the room, drawing out his hammer and swinging at the raven's clustered around Wulfgang, but again the melee strike misses.

Nadya fires an arrow at the woman anyway, as a test, and is dismayed when it flies straight up and clatters off the ceiling once it hits the wind wall

End of Round 2

Jairess DC 16 will: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8
Radzislau hammer: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7


Aerie - Round 3

25 Ruso (1hp dmg)
22 Raven Swarm
21 Cylina
20 Wulfgang (1hp dmg, blinded, 9 rounds)
14 Jairess Sonn (9hp dmg, evil eye, -2 AC, 7 rounds, -2 saves, 8 rounds 25' in air)
11 Irina
8 Radzislau
5 Nadya

Ruso is up to start Round 3.


I will run Ruso for now, since it has been past the 24hrs.

Aerie - Round 3 - continued

Without any way of harming the ravens, and without much hope of shooting the flying sylph through the wind wall, Ruso is at a loss of what to do. Shrugging he tries to skewer some of the birds with his rapier. Then moves back from the swarm a reasonable distance.

The raven swarm stays flicking and flitting around the now blind Wulfgang. More birds slam into and tear at him with beaks and claws. This time the jumble of unseen birds overwhelms Wulfgang for a moment and he is distracted.

5 more hp dmg for Wulfang and he gains the nauseated condition for this round. Cylina and the blind, nauseated Wulfgang are up now.

Ruso rapier: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17
Dmg to swarm: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7damage is halved
Dmg to Wulfgang: 1d6 ⇒ 5
Wulfgang DC 14 Fort: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12


TN Male Elf Rogue (Unchained) 3 | 4/12 HP | AC 18, T 14, FF 14 | CMD 17 | Fort -1, Ref +7, Will +2 | Prec +9 | Init +6 | Speed 30 ft. | Active Conditions:

Thanks for botting me GM. I got back way later than planned from Gen Con and sleep was the priority.


Ruso Haldren wrote:
Thanks for botting me GM. I got back way later than planned from Gen Con and sleep was the priority.

glad you're back and understand. Hope it was great time!


Human Female (Irriseni) Cleric 3 of Milani | HP 18/21 | AC 19 T 11 FF 18 | F +5 R +2 W +6 | Init +1 | Perc +3

Cylina frowned as the wind wall went up, the ward surely turning what was already poor aim into sheer madness should she attempt to continue shooting the floating woman. Letting her crossbow fall to the ground, the priestess drew her morningstar once more as she crossed to the raven swarm. Eyeing the flock of birds nervously, she swung her weapon into the birds, feeling several satisfying bone-crunching hits as she followed through.

Morningstar: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16
Damage: 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5

Liberty's Edge

male human fighter 1/Rngr 2| HP 28| AC 15; Touch 11; FF 13 | F +6; R +4; W +1 | CMB+6; CMD 17| Speed 30 ft | Init +1 | Perc +7 | Stealth: +4 Fighter 1/Rngr 2

Wulfgang throws up.

blind and nauseated lol


Aerie - Round 3 - continued

Blind and in stomach distress, Wulfgang hurls up his lunch, but does little else.

Seeing that arrow attacks will clearly be of no use against the sylph, Cylina trots over to the birds and swings her morningstar trough the crowd of ravens, guilty pleased with the series of crunches that ensue.

From high overhead, the wind wall continues to blow shielding Jairess from arrow and other missile attacks. Using the respite to her advantage, she grasps her holy symbol and intones a few choice phrases and the wind around her whips a bit stronger, healing some of her prior wounds. "Master Radosek!" she calls out above the din of the wind and the birds. "I know you watch me up here. I require your aid! Send help to me in the aerie, and I will submit to your advances. But do so quickly! We are under attack!"

Action is down to Irina, followed by Radzislau and Nadya.

Jairess channel to heal: 2d6 ⇒ (3, 2) = 5


Human Female (Irriseni) Cleric 3 of Milani | HP 18/21 | AC 19 T 11 FF 18 | F +5 R +2 W +6 | Init +1 | Perc +3

Cylina cocked her head at the woman's words, a bit confused. She called out, "We be enemies of the master and lady of the tower, but have no quarrel with you. Let us have a truce." The priestess thought things were a bit past talking things over, but it was worth a shot.


I will run Irina as it has been past the 24hr rule for posting

Aerie - Round 3 - concluded

Without much opportunity to damage the flying caster, Irina settles for more evil eye on her, this time affecting her attacks. Again the hex seems to work wonderfully well, now for that wind wall to come down...

Again seeing the impenetrable position the sylph remains in, Radzislau focuses his hammer on the swarm. The long lucerne hammer cleaves through the swarm of birds like a hot knife through butter, and combined with damage already dealt, and the swarm is on the verge of falling apart.

"Stop!" cries the woman in mid-air. [/b]"If you stop murdering my beautiful birds, I will speak parley with you."[/b] She does in fact lok earnest about ending the fight, if possible.

Nadya holds her actions, waiting to see if peace will break out.

End of Round 3

Jairess DC 16 will: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6
Radz hammer, PA: 1d20 + 6 - 1 ⇒ (9) + 6 - 1 = 14
Radz dmg, PA: 1d12 + 6 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 6 + 3 = 20
Cylina Diplomacy: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28


Aerie - Round 4

25 Ruso (1hp dmg)
22 Raven Swarm (28hp dmg)
21 Cylina
20 Wulfgang (1hp dmg, blinded, 8 rounds)
14 Jairess Sonn (9hp dmg, evil eye, -2 AC, 6 rounds, -2 saves, 7 rounds 25' in air)
11 Irina
8 Radzislau
5 Nadya

Ruso is up now.


TN Male Elf Rogue (Unchained) 3 | 4/12 HP | AC 18, T 14, FF 14 | CMD 17 | Fort -1, Ref +7, Will +2 | Prec +9 | Init +6 | Speed 30 ft. | Active Conditions:

Ruso pauses for the briefest of moments as he listens to the sudden change in what is occurring here on the rooftop. "If you wish to parley then bring yourself back down to the us so that we might speak without need of shouting over the wind."

Ruso readies to attack should he be attacked.
Readied Attack: Rapier: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12
Readied Damage: Piercing: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10


Human Female (Irriseni) Cleric 3 of Milani | HP 18/21 | AC 19 T 11 FF 18 | F +5 R +2 W +6 | Init +1 | Perc +3

Cylina paused her aggression against the bird swarm long enough to see if the woman would come down or at least start to speak to the group. If it indeed seemed like the strange lady would speak with them, the priestess would let Ruso and Irina speak for the group, instead moving over to Wulfgang and looking at the man's ghastly injuries to the eyes.

Heal Check: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15


The pale, flying woman waves a hand and the windstorm around her ceases, though the aerie is still filled with the natural wind from outside, which tosses her long pale hair around her in a shroud.

She floats back to the ground, alighting softly and bending to examine several of the dead ravens which she picks up with a sort of reverence. Her sadness at their passing is apparent, and her jaw hardens as she looks up to face you.

"You slew my pets, my friends! Whatever you are here for, it better have one hell of an explanation! Radosek is preparing to deal with you now anyway. Go back to where you came from and leave us alone!" she makes some strange sounds, and the remaining birds, still a goodly number, land on and around her.


Female human (Varisian) witch (winter witch) 3 CG Medium humanoid (human) Init +1; Senses Perception +3 AC 15, T 11, FF 14 hp 20/21 Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +3

”We’re here for a child. That’s all we wished to do. We’re sorry about the birds. Truly we are.” she looks at the dead birds with sadness. ” I understand losing your friends. A mother has lost her child. Will you help?”


TN Male Elf Rogue (Unchained) 3 | 4/12 HP | AC 18, T 14, FF 14 | CMD 17 | Fort -1, Ref +7, Will +2 | Prec +9 | Init +6 | Speed 30 ft. | Active Conditions:

Ruso leans on the crenulations as he gives the woman a once over. "You've heard the explanation and quite frankly your attitude has not helped the situation any. We came here with a clear objective and have encountered nothing but resistance and hostility. Is this how all visitors to these lands are treated by its residents? If so then I feel truly sorry for you all."

Ruos then switches topics as he adjusts his stance. "Who is this Radosek individual you refer to? I've not ever heard of this man before. Would you please tell us who this person is." Ruso flicks his hair back over his shoulder as he finishes talking.


Human Female (Irriseni) Cleric 3 of Milani | HP 18/21 | AC 19 T 11 FF 18 | F +5 R +2 W +6 | Init +1 | Perc +3

Cylina can do nothing for the blind Wulfgang at the moment, so she instead pays attention to the conversation, listening to Irina's earnest appeal to the woman's conscience and Ruso's more pessimistic retort. The elf's anger at the situation was well-warranted, but yet more proof that these strange folks were truly newcomers to the icy lands of Irrisen.

As Ruso added his questions about Radosek, the priestess cocked her head curiously but said nothing. They had been told he was the resident witch's partner or lover, but surely he was fishing for information from the bird-priestess. The woman's words during combat as she sought help had Cylina curious. "I'm taking it you don't much care for Radosek's advances? What's your story here, friend?"

Liberty's Edge

male human fighter 1/Rngr 2| HP 28| AC 15; Touch 11; FF 13 | F +6; R +4; W +1 | CMB+6; CMD 17| Speed 30 ft | Init +1 | Perc +7 | Stealth: +4 Fighter 1/Rngr 2

Wulfgang finds a rag and binds his eyes. "Foul woman...your birds blinded me! What can you do for that? Show your goodwill!"


What a wide range of responses...

The sylph woman looks at each of you in turn as you each speak to her. "Well, I don't know how to respond to all of that. Strangers inside any home get attacked, and I was told to be wary of invaders here. I am still wary of you. And you," she says indicating Wulfgang, "Got no less than you deserved. My friends were only defending me and themselves."

She sighs and shakes out her wind-blown hair. "As for Radosek, he only pursues me because his mistress, Nazhena is away. If she were in the Tower, he wouldn't dare. He may not be my type exactly, but stringing him along has its uses, as I a sure you are aware," she nods to Irina.

"As for this girl you seek, I heard them discussing her days ago, but nothing recently. My guess is that she is dead or gone with Nazhena. Probably the former. Now, if you will promise to not harm by friends here, I will retire to my chambers, and you can go about your carousing in the Tower as you see fit."


Female human (Varisian) witch (winter witch) 3 CG Medium humanoid (human) Init +1; Senses Perception +3 AC 15, T 11, FF 14 hp 20/21 Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +3

Irina looks at her companions with a raised eyebrow. "You are welcome to retire to your chambers. We'll see ourselves out. Can you tell us where we might find Radosek? We'd like to ask him about the girls location."

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16

Liberty's Edge

male human fighter 1/Rngr 2| HP 28| AC 15; Touch 11; FF 13 | F +6; R +4; W +1 | CMB+6; CMD 17| Speed 30 ft | Init +1 | Perc +7 | Stealth: +4 Fighter 1/Rngr 2

Wulfgang whispers to Irina scowling.

"I'm in no condition to fight. If this Radosek provokes us I'll be as good as a newborn with an axe. I don't trust this woman."


Human Female (Irriseni) Cleric 3 of Milani | HP 18/21 | AC 19 T 11 FF 18 | F +5 R +2 W +6 | Init +1 | Perc +3

The priestess winced at the sylph's blunt words on the likely fate of Nadya's child. Cylina herself also thought it likely, but the possibility of finding her child alive was likely the hope that was buoying her friend at the moment.

Cylina stepped forward after hearing Irina speak, sheathing her weapon so as not to provoke the woman. "I'm sorry things started out so violent between us. Everything else in this Tower started trying to kill us, so we assumed the worse. Is there anything that can be done for my friend's eyes? I can tell there's no permanent damage, but if you could help him we could reward you."


"I am accepting of the worst," says Nadya calmly, given the situation. "Those taken to the Pale Tower do not return, and such is to be expected of my little Thora, but I won't stop until we know for sure."

The sylph responds to Irina first. "Radosek is likely in Nazhena Vasiliovna's chambers. They are on the third floor, and only accessible, as far as I know, from the teleporter in the great hall on the second floor. You have to know the password, or...I could give you this." She holds out a white plastic card like the blue one you saw before.

"I will trade this to you for free passage from this place and a pledge of non-interference if we cross paths again. Fair?"

She shrugs when asked if she can cure Wulfgang's blindness, saying even if she could cure the man, she would choose not to. She indicates she does not have the strong enough connection to Gozreh to offer that kind of magic.

Liberty's Edge

male human fighter 1/Rngr 2| HP 28| AC 15; Touch 11; FF 13 | F +6; R +4; W +1 | CMB+6; CMD 17| Speed 30 ft | Init +1 | Perc +7 | Stealth: +4 Fighter 1/Rngr 2
DM DoctorEvil wrote:
She shrugs when asked if she can cure Wulfgang's blindness, saying even if she could cure the man, she would choose not to. She indicates she does not have the strong enough connection to Gozreh to offer that kind of magic.

Wulfgang spits in her direction, his eyes still covered by the white rag, his axe hanging at his side. "YOU attacked us first! Curse you and the the Sky Father and his fickle ways. You HAVE wergild! Despite going as a blind beggar, I will offer you NO safe haven should we meet again unless you've PAID me or my kin!"


Human Female (Irriseni) Cleric 3 of Milani | HP 18/21 | AC 19 T 11 FF 18 | F +5 R +2 W +6 | Init +1 | Perc +3

Cylina sighed, having expected as much but hoping for an affirmative. The Irriseni woman is taken aback by Wulfgang's harsh response, though she really shouldn't have been. Losing one's sight was surely a harsh experience, as those who suffered from the snow blindness had surely attested when the priestess had treated them. Despite the fact that the party had been the invaders in this particular situation, Cylina was wise enough to not retort the northman's threats.

Instead, she offers softly, "The injuries to your eyes are grave, but not permanent, my friend. You shall regain your sight soon after we leave this evil place." Frowning, she looks to Ruso and Irina, wondering how they would respond to the impasse.

Liberty's Edge

male human fighter 1/Rngr 2| HP 28| AC 15; Touch 11; FF 13 | F +6; R +4; W +1 | CMB+6; CMD 17| Speed 30 ft | Init +1 | Perc +7 | Stealth: +4 Fighter 1/Rngr 2

Wulfgang moves his head in the direction of Cylina and nods.

2,251 to 2,280 of 2,280 << first < prev | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Reign of Winter by DM DoctorEvil All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.