Gravel to Granite (Inactive)

Game Master Lareg

Started. Recruiting open. Apprentice-level game (Super Genius Games rule pre lvl 1. Pathfinder @ lvl 1 & beyond). Characters begin pre level 1, gain levels, and classes. Game run on the boards. Characters currently at lvl 2.


2,601 to 2,650 of 2,663 << first < prev | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | next > last >>

Male Half-Orc Monk 9 / Puppetmaster 2

As Silx makes his way around the larger trees another bestial roar is heard.

Silx:
Edging your way around the brush and trees you see a bear, grizzled and blood spattered; it has clearly spotted you. However, the injured hunter nearby is much easier prey. The bear tosses what appears to be the lifeless body of a hunting dog to the ground and lumbers forward.

Hidden:
BP: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25


Male Drow Rogue (Trapsmith) 2

Silx makes his way back. "Some fool got himself attacked by a bear. I say that doesn't fall into your jurisdiction so we should go around."


Triela rolls her eyes in exasperation at Silx's thick headedness, then she activates Fey Aspect and rushes forward yelling at the top of her lungs. Having dealt with bears before, she knows that they can be chased off reletively easy just by making lots of noise and standing your ground, unless they are paired or bonded to a druid or woodsmen or some such deal. If it does come to an actual fight, the bear's fur, claws, and meat will be highly valued.


Male Half-Orc Monk 9 / Puppetmaster 2

Initiative rolls:

  • Aak:1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14
  • Rema:1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9
  • Silx:1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10
  • Triela:1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6

Intimidate roll for Triela: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10

Everyone needs to note their proximity to the bear. I will work up a tactical map in the morning. The trail is approximately 20 feet from the bear, with difficult terrain beginning 5 feet from the trail. Trees and brush block the view from the trail and serve as physical obstacles.

Hidden:
BInt:1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17, Int track: Bear, Aak, Silx, Rema, Triela, Hunter.


Male Drow Rogue (Trapsmith) 2

Silx sits down calmly, whittling as he waits for the fight to finish.

Yeah Silx sees no reason to go messing with a bear, and rolling your eyes didn't exactly convince him ;)

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc

Aak would follow Triela towards the bear. Seeing both sides of the situation, Silx with not wanting to tangle with something not directly effecting him. Yet also understanding that if the hunter was a local from the village, perhaps some trust can be gained by showing that non-humans can be helpful and friendly as Tiela is hoping.

Aak will be on the outskirt of the difficult terrain, to as to not inhibit his movement, and giving the bear another target to possibly focus on...hoping his armor hold up against the ferocious beast.

idea/concept of pathway??:

B=Bear
H=Hunter
X=difficult terrain?
________________________________________________________________
|___|__|__|__|_X|_X|_X|_X|_X|_X|_X|_X|_X|_X_|X|_X|_X|_X|_X|_X|_X|
|___|__|__|__|_X|_X|_X|_X|_X|_X|_X|_X|_X|_X|_X|_X|_X|_X|_X|_H|B_|
|___|__|__|__|_X|_X|_X|_X|_X|_X|_X|_X|_X|_X_|X|_X|_X|_X|_X|_X|_X|
|___|__|__|__|_X|_X|_X|_X|_X|_X|_X|_X|_X|_X_|X|_X|_X|_X|_X|_X|_X|


Male Half-Orc Monk 9 / Puppetmaster 2

Trail Map (The trail and light green squares are normal terrain. Dark green is difficult terrain. Trees are the circles. I didn't put trees on one side, but they are on both sides of the trail.)

Silx & Triela:
The bear is at N8 and the hunter is at L7.


Male Half-Orc Monk 9 / Puppetmaster 2

We've got locations down now. Triela in the lead at K8, Aak at J8, and Rema J7. Silx remains in the road where NPCs are marked.

Aak&Triela:
The bear charges the hunter. (Move to M7)

As Triela and Aak move beyond the bushes, a roaring sound is heard.

Round One:Aak, Silx, Rema, & Triela (all acting).

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc

Aak, steps forward, drawing his morningstar and takes a swing at the bear, hoping to draw attention to himself rather than the hunter, move to L-7

star: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 61d8 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4


Male Half-Orc Monk 9 / Puppetmaster 2

Ask and Triela:
Aak's swing misses. The bear does seem to notice the half-orc's presence. Rema closes distance, flanking with Ask. She attempts to stun the bear. (1d20 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 + 2 = 18, DMG: 1d6 ⇒ 4) It drops to the ground stunned.

Hidden:
BFsv(1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12 Bhp: 28/32)


Male Half-Orc Monk 9 / Puppetmaster 2

The hunter scrambles toward the trail.


Spoiler:

"Let us go while it is stunned, it is unlikely to chase us down."

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16
Did I see any reason to believe the bear is anything other than ordinary?


Male Half-Orc Monk 9 / Puppetmaster 2

Triela:
The bear appears entirely normal.

Aak & Triela:
Although the nearest area is difficult terrain, everyone other than Rema can move away from the bear (20 feet) easily before it shakes off the stun.


Male Drow Rogue (Trapsmith) 2

I am sorry to have to do this, but I will be pulling out of this game. I'm starting a new semester at school and I'm taking 20 credit hours, and I fear with too many games I'll be too distracted to focus on school. I'm sorry to do this so suddenly and leave a gap, but my schooling is more important. I wish all of you the best of luck!


Male Half-Orc Monk 9 / Puppetmaster 2

Thanks for the heads up. I hope your semester goes well.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc

Aak, seeing that the bear is stunned, moves back 10 feet. Making sure he is between the bear and the hunter. He waits for Rema to clear the area before withdrawing fully.


Guess I should mention matching actions to words. Triela moves away now that the bear is stunned.


Female Samsaran Monk

The bear shakes off the stun, seeing Rema the only one near it lashes out (2 claws, 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18, 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26, confirm crit: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22. Dmg: 1d4 + 3 + 12 ⇒ (1) + 3 + 12 = 16).

Bloodied from the gash, Rema steps away slowly before moving toward the trail (double move).

"I'll be ok, keep moving" Rema shouts as she wipes blood from her eyes.

Seeing Rema come into the opening, Silx quickly joins the group. He digs up a bit of the trail and places a contraption of some sort in the shallow whole before quickly covering it with gravel.

Round Two: Triela and Hunter, now acting.

The hunter moves further away, then readies his bow.

Hidden:
Int track: Bear, Aak, Silx, Rema, Triela, Hunter. Rema HP: 6/22.


Male Half-Orc Monk 9 / Puppetmaster 2

After Triela's action.
The bear storms from among the brush, breaking branches as he goes.

Silx yells loudly, "Run. I have an idea. I'll catch up." The drow snarls at the bear.

Round Three:Aak, Rema, Triela, and Hunter now acting.


Triela preps a spell, moves in behind Rema, kneeling right in front of the bear, aims the pointy end of her shield at the bear and making sure she has it's attention she drops a Solid Note to back stop her shield and lets the bear charge her shield, though ready to adjust if the bear should go around, but that is also unlikely. Hmm, seems this bear is either controlled, a companion, not normal, or has cubs nearby.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc

Aak hearing that Silx has a plan, contemplates whether to stay or go. He has made up his mind, Leave, but why. The fight just started, besides that wouldn't be a good leader to leave my men behind. Even if you said to

Aak readies his morningstar in the even the bear goes after him.


Male Half-Orc Monk 9 / Puppetmaster 2

I'm going to DMPC until the group nears Shinmish, where I have an appropriate exit planned.

The bear charges right for Silx, but becomes tangled in the trap the drow quickly hid beneath the gravel.

"I don't think that will hold long. Silx steps back carefully before turning to run away as the hunter let's loose an arrow.

The bear roars and begins tearing at the trap.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc

Well, remind me not to get into a battle of wits with a Drow, as he clasps Silx on the back for his ingenuity. With that word, he sets off to run with the others, making sure that he is 'between' the bear and the group should the bear get loose and pursue.

He turns to the hunter, Are you alright, do you require any healing, for I have a limited amount. The same goes for you Rema, you don't look so good


Female Samsaran Monk

Rema nods, "I'll be ok for now. Let us get some distance from the creature and then we can stop."

The hunter nods in agreement, "I'm afraid I must have stumbled upon it's den. It's best we move along. I can show you all the best way ahead. You're all welcome to recover at my home, as small as it is it's far from the main road."

Assuming everyone agrees to move on, we can continue out of combat.


Aww! I totally wanted to test my Solid Note against a bear :p
In any case I'm good for moving on.


Male Half-Orc Monk 9 / Puppetmaster 2

As the group quickly heads away from the angered bear, thrashing can be heard. Although the sound of the bear roaring is soon on the move it is clear that the bear has lost interest in pursuit.

The hunter speaks over his shoulder while continuing forward, "Thank you for helping me. I don't have much, but I'm happy to share. It isn't much further now."


Male Half-Orc Monk 9 / Puppetmaster 2

Just before sun set the hunter slows, turns off the trail, and heads toward a small cabin.

"I was so shaken before I forgot to introduce myself. He smiles, but is clearly exhausted. My name is Davy and this is where I live. It's small, but warm with a bit of wood thrown into the oven. You're all welcome to come in. I'm afraid there won't be enough room for everyone to sleep inside."


Male Half-Orc Monk 9 / Puppetmaster 2

The small cabin barely has enough room for everyone to fit inside. A bunk is built into one of the walls at about head level.

Davy quickly works to get the wood stove going, placing a kettle of water to heat on the stove. "Sit where you like. It'll be a bit warmer in here in just a bit. I'll make a bit of tea. I don't have much else to offer, which is why I was out hunting. Looking off in the direction of the temple grounds. I was there you know. Not with the mob, but I saw what happened. I heard the ruckus while I was checking traps for game. Not everyone in the village is taking the cult's bait. I thought you all should know."

Quietly, Davy goes back to tending the wood stove. Once its fire is going he cleans himself off, cleaning cuts and setting aside torn bits of clothing and gear.


Female Samsaran Monk

Rema sits on a small stool in Davy's cabin, mediating. As her hands glow you can see her wounds beginning to mend a bit. Looking up, she is still scratched and a bit bloody, but seems much better. "Is anyone else injured?"


"I'm fine, thank you. We shouldn't stay long. We have places to go things to do."


Male Half-Orc Monk 9 / Puppetmaster 2

Davy nods, "Fair enough. I wouldn't suggest traveling during the night, but I won't get in your way. Gesturing toward Rema. I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't think the lass their will be able to keep a very fast pace until her wound is healed."


Female Samsaran Monk

Rema shakes her head, trying to steady herself as she gets up from the stool. "I'll be fine. If everyone wishes to move we can head out as soon as you like. We'll have to move fast to make it to our destination by night fall."

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc

Aak will that Davy for the warm fire and short reprieve from the hostility of nature. He looks to Rema, Now stay still for a moment, as Aak begins speaking in orcish, a soft tinted green glow rises from his palms, washing over Rema's whole face. Her multiple gashes, close ever so slowly until there is but a few bruises where they used to be.

CLW via magic wpn sac: 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9


Female Samsaran Monk

Rema smiles, "Thank you Aak. I feel much better now. Should we head out now?"


Male Half-Orc Monk 9 / Puppetmaster 2

With words of thanks to Davy for the offer of rest, the party heads back to the trail. The moment of respite seems to have rejuvenated the group. The gates of Shinmish are in sight at twilight. Just as Triela prepares to approach the night guard, Silx holds up his hand in warning.


Male Drow

Stepping from the shadows, Voz smiles at Silx. "You've learned a bit since last we met my friend. His smile growing. But, you have much to learn yet. I come with news and help. gesturing to a small clearing off the road, toward a half-elf. Word of your deeds against the cult have spread. I gave my word to Adalric that I would help him find you. Looking at the group as whole, recognizing the new face, Voz makes the proper introduction. My lady, I didn't expect to see you among adventurers. A wonderful surprise. Looking back to Silx. And with you my friend, a word of good news in private." Voz whistles, the sound of night bird, as he and Silx begin to walk toward the darkening clearing. Adalric looks toward the wound, gives a slight nod and begins to approach slowly.

Grand Lodge

Male Alchemist (grenadier/bramble brewer) 2

Adalric slowly approaches the others and extends a hand. "Greetings, I'm Adalric of Thrane. I'm an alchemist by trade and was hoping to set up a shop this country, but it seems that there's some kind of human supremacy thing in these parts. Voz was telling me about a cult that's running things? What's going on?"

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc

Although I don't usually trust new people very quickly, if Rema has vouched for you then I trust her judgment. The name is Aak, and the just of he trouble around these parts is as follows. There's a group of people, wanting to "cleanse" this land of all impure races, whether by assimilation or extermination. We go against their views, so they wish to quell our resistance, while we try to gather more like-minded people like us to combat them.


Female Samsaran Monk

Rema nods, "If Voz trusts you, I do. Welcome. We can use all the help we can get. Turning toward Triela, Now, if my lady might speak with the guards we can find someplace more inviting to speak."


"Indeed, it is getting dark and I wouldn't mind a nice bed again. However let's wait till Silx is finished, I get the feeling it is important. So, Adalric, why this country, and why seek us out?"

Triela seems suspicious about Adalric, Voz may be a friend of her companions, but Adalric is a complete unknown, and Triela knows quite well how easy it is to "convince" someone to help with such a simple task as finding known associates.

Grand Lodge

Male Alchemist (grenadier/bramble brewer) 2

Adalric nods thoughtfully at Aak's words. "I see. As a half-elf, I know full well the stigma of being an 'impure race'. It seems that the people you mention have simply expanded normal racial prejudices to include anyone who wasn't blessed with two human parents." His voice is mildly sarcastic as he speaks these words. Turning to the noblewoman, he smiles. "Valid questions, milady. I hail from the small hamlet of Thrane - about a fortnight's journey by boat. As I'd finished my apprenticeship, it was time for me to start my own life, set up shop somewhere, and begin making my fortune. On a whim, I decided to try Shinmish, as it wouldn't encroach on my master's territory, and - to be honest - I wanted to see a bit of the world. Turns out, Shinmish already has an established alchemy merchant, and I got the feeling that I shouldn't draw too much attention to myself. While trying to figure out what to do, I met Voz, and he explained a little bit of what's going on. At least now the sidelong glances made sense.

"It quickly became clear that I'd be hard-pressed to survive - let alone thrive - in this part of the world, but I'd used up almost all my coin getting here, so going home wasn't an option. I could tell that it was only a matter of time before something terrible would happen to me, but how can one man change anything? When Voz told me about a group of like-minded individuals, I thought that maybe there was something we could do. If there is or not, I don't know; this part of the world is still strange to me. Still, I'm pretty handy, so I'll more than earn my keep if you'll have me. If not, I'd appreciate it if you could at least give me some advice as to how to proceed. As I said, my options are few."


Triela listens and seems satisfied enough..for now. "It is interesting that a land ruled, in part at least, by a family that can hardly be called called pure should have such problems, ironic really. Though I wonder..." she looks over at Silx, calmly waiting.

Triela wonders if there is a connection between her family's political problems and this cult. If the cult is supported or even just connect to the powers the rule, things could get worse then suspected. She should discuss it her mother.


Male Half-Orc Monk 9 / Puppetmaster 2

Silx hurries back, looking equal parts excited and saddened. Voz is examining a bit of the trail, a concerned look coming over his face he begins taking a closer look at the surroundings as Silx speaks. "Voz brings great news, but I'm afraid it means I must depart. He believes he has found survivors from my childhood home, perhaps even some of my family among the latest prisoners freed my Voz and his fellow monks from a group of slavers. Searching for words as he looks toward Aak, I would fight and die by your side, but I must know if any of my blood survive. I hope you understand." As Silx shares this bit of news, Voz approaches.


Male Drow

Looking at Silx, "We must go soon. Glancing toward the others. I would suggest you all get into the city quickly if you can. If what I've found is what I think it is one of the cult's assassins has been in the area. He holds up a bit of black thread. Even though it is a small piece, it is clear that it is very fine thread. There are few who could afford this silk, let alone who would be interested in the paths so close to the main road."

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc

I understand, family is a precious thing. Be safe and may the winds be at your back, as he gives Silx a hearty handshake before departing.


"Good luck Silx."

When Every has said their goodbyes Triela will speak to the guards, calling them by name if they are the regular guards for this watch, to get inside.


Male Half-Orc Monk 9 / Puppetmaster 2

Triela:
The guards recognize you right away. "My lady. Your mother, her sickness has gotten much worse. Her messenger has been looking for you. We'll open the gates right away."

Silx shakes Aak's hand and gives Rema a quick hug before heading off with Voz.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc

Aak looks towards the group, along with the newcomer, Shall we rest for the evening then proceed to go to town in an attempt to change peoples preconceived notions and prejudices?


Triela looks troubled after speaking to the guard, but the gates open and as they walk through, "I have a family issue to take care of. There is an inn on Weathering Way, down that street, that is decent. I will seek you there in the morning."

Triela then rather quickly heads towards the high end of the city.


Male Half-Orc Monk 9 / Puppetmaster 2

The group easily finds the inn Triela mentions. Though there are a few odd looks from some of the human patrons, it is clear from the many other races present that overt conflict is unlikely. Although the barkeep is busy, he has one of the waitresses pour drinks while he makes sure the group has rooms, though there aren't enough available for everyone to have their own room.

Triela:
As you approach your home everything seems strangely quiet. Once you're within sight of the Devilbane grounds you realize that the entry gates have been sealed and no lights are on within. From one of the benches that line the merchant area across from the grounds you see a familar figure, Eólica - guardian of the house of Devilbane. Though mute, your mother trusts her implicitly since she arrived several years ago. A bit younger than you, her parent's had fought along side your mother. After their unfortunate deaths, she joined the Devilbane household as a servant. Eólica bows deeply and then hands you a note, clearly in your mother's hand. "I am sorry my daughter. I should have never kept the truth from you. For months have have spent nearly all of my money on healers. Shortly after you left I relinquished the deed to the grounds. We are titled now in name only. It is my hope that you will find a way to regain standing for yourself. As for me, I am afraid my days are short. Eólica brought me to Lady Lavina's home. Your willingness to help her has earned me a place to spend my final days. Come quickly." Eólica struggles to mask her sadness as you finish reading the letter. The feeling of losing her family is still very fresh at times like this.

2,601 to 2,650 of 2,663 << first < prev | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / A sparce tavern, a dusty inn, and the looming mountains All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.