Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Motteditor's Savage Tide

Game Master motteditor

Combat map


1 to 50 of 5,967 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

1 person marked this as a favorite.

You have a day to spend before dinner at the Vanderboren estate if you wish to do anything.


Human (Taldan) - Scribe 8
Stats:
HP:59/59AC 21;F8/R5/W11;Kn (arc) +14 Kn (his) +9 Kn(pl) +14 Kn(rel) +14 Per +13 Sen Mot +13 Spellcraft +14

After the wake, Kyson will return to his room at the local inn, tired from his day of doing stuff, but excited to be invited to do more stuff on the next day.

However, realizing that stuff sometimes means danger, Kyson will run out to buy some supplies for scribing scrolls.

During the day that he has to wait until he is due at dinner, Kyson will spend 2 hours in the quiet of his room, scribing one scroll with 2 spells: bless and cure light wounds. (-25 gp)

* * *

Kyson will walk by the address on the invitation early in the day (so he knows when to leave and not be late) before returning for the dinner at the right time.

Wishing that he had proper cleric's vestments (like he used to wear at the monastery), Kyson will dress in the best attire he has: his scale mail. Though not quite appropriate, he hopes to earn forgiveness by having his holy symbol to Sarenrae in full view, as if that will pass for decorum.

His heavy shield will be slung at his back and his scimitar (more of a holy Sarenrae-symbolic show piece than actual weapon) will hang at his hip.


Human Free Hand Fighter 8, 39/68 hit points, AC 23;F8/R6/W1, Perception -1

Just noticed this thread :) Dotting, post will follow later.

"Of course, my lady. You can always count on Silvio", the young nobleman anwsers Kora and accepts her offer by bowing low and kissing her hand before departing. Walking away from the wake with a bolstered ego Silvio seeks up a tavern or pub close to the harbor to mingle with his seafaring bretheren. While diceing (-15gp) and drinking he tries to learn as much as he can about the Vanborens.

Knowledge (local) check: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8

The next day is spent mostly the same (-10gp) before evening sets and Silvio ventures to the Vanboren estate.

"Ah, my little friend, you made it!", he exclaims and shakes Finnwappet's hand. "And you brought friends! I am Silvio Callgari Pazzi, great captain of the world seas. Who are you that have the pleasure to make my acquaintance?", he asks and displays two rows of pearly white teeth enclosed in a wide smile.


Male Varisian Ranger/Cleric 8 - 37/74 hp + 0 nonlethal, Init +4, AC 21 [touch 14, FF 16], Fort +12, Ref +9, Will +7; Perception +15

Copy over from the recruitment thread.

Throughout the rest of the evening the Varisian makes his rounds, shaking hands and sharing stories. He is purposely vague about his history with the departed but answers questions as best he can without giving specifics. Eventually, he gets to asking about the couple's children, their dealings, and if they followed in their parent's footsteps.


Male Elf Rogue (pirate) 6/ Gunslinger 2
Stats:
AC 20,T 16, FF 15; HP 47/47; Fort +5, Ref +14, Will +4

Sekathral will go to a moneylender who doesn't know him and attempt to borrow enough cash (which he doesn't really intend to pay back) to make himself presentable/get kitted out on the strength of his new 'job' Do I need to make a Bluff check for this? , then do a spot of shopping and see what contacts he's still on speaking terms can tell him about the Vanderborans.

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

Silvio, you appear to be in the wrong part of town to find out information on the Vanderborens, as no one seems to be able to tell you anything more than that some of them died very recently, and a wake was just held for them in the city's Sunrise District.

Zstelian, you also are unable to find out anything new about the family.

Sekathral, you make your pitch to the moneylender, who shakes his head. "Sorry, but I don't think you're a good bet," he says. "Why don't you try to peddle your story to someone who hasn't been around for quite so long."

Zstelian knowledge (local): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

Sekathral bluff: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14
Moneylender sense motive: 1d20 + 1d10 ⇒ (8) + (9) = 17


Male Gnome Internal Alchemist 2

"Finnwappet Luggnagg, at your service!" the gnome bows.

"I'm not sure what quite to expect from here, but I'm sure there will be something to enjoy." He reaches into the folds of his robe and pulls out a couple long, skinny leaves, which look to be dried and steeped in some sort of dark syrup. "Would you like one? Chewing one will keep your energy up, and helps purify your aura of negative energy."

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

As you arrive in the eastern section of the Merchant District, the Vanderboren Manor is impossible to miss. A seven-foot-high stone wall surrounds the estate, while the towering, Gothic three-story house dominates the grounds within. Leering gargoyles and capering nymphs festoon the eaves of the manor's roof, and several trees give the manor grounds a nice buffer from the bustle of the city.

The front gates have been left open and unattended, while bright lights shine from the manor's windows 25 feet inside.

Please give a physical description of your characters as you arrive, then take it away.


Male Varisian Ranger/Cleric 8 - 37/74 hp + 0 nonlethal, Init +4, AC 21 [touch 14, FF 16], Fort +12, Ref +9, Will +7; Perception +15

Zstelian is a shaggy middle-aged Varisian man with olive skin and long dark hair. His clothing and equipment are clean but carry the unmistakable wear and staining that comes with frequent use and exposure to the elements. Although getting on in years, he is in good physical shape and light on his feet.

A fierce raptor, a particularly large hawk, circles high overhead. At one time he calls it down with a quick melodic whistle, feeds it something from a pouch, and then hoists it back upwards where the bird tears off into the sky and resumes its position overhead.

As he approaches the manor, the ranger adjusts the long curved blade and bundle of javelins strapped to his back.

I might have missed something. Why are we at the manor? Is this part of the wake?

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

I put the last bit of role-playing in a spoiler in the recruitment thread, but you were all approached by Kora, the halfling, and invited to dinner the next day at the manor. I was fast-forwarding past the end of the wake to the next day, though you had the day to spend doing whatever you wanted beforehand.


Male Varisian Ranger/Cleric 8 - 37/74 hp + 0 nonlethal, Init +4, AC 21 [touch 14, FF 16], Fort +12, Ref +9, Will +7; Perception +15

Gotcha.

"It's been a long time since I've attended a formal dinner of any sort", the Varisian says uncomfortably. "Do you think my being under-dressed will be a problem", he asks.


Male Gnome Internal Alchemist 2

The gnome named Finnwappet has the odd coloration common to gnomes. In his case, his skin is a pale but brilliant blue, the color of a sun's halo through a patch of clear winter sky. His long, straight but unruly hair is a deeper indigo, held in place by being pulled through the carapace of some kind of shellfish--Zstelian figures it to be spiny lobster. His large eyes contrast this look, being a full, luscious shade of orange.

He dresses in what appears to be a cerulean gi, loose fitting and flowing, but upon a second look, it is just a cover over a leather harness underneath. The outer garment is tied shut with a wide orange belt, oddly bulging in certain spots. A pair of spears are strapped to his back--about the same size as Zstelian's javelins.


Human (Taldan) - Scribe 8
Stats:
HP:59/59AC 21;F8/R5/W11;Kn (arc) +14 Kn (his) +9 Kn(pl) +14 Kn(rel) +14 Per +13 Sen Mot +13 Spellcraft +14

To people who see Kyson Tirc, his Taldon features are hard to miss...the dark hair, beady brown eyes, and mucky complection hint to the strength of his lineage. Sadly, Kyson's pale skin tone and lack of muscle tone gives even stronger hints that he has spent too much time inside and not enough time exploring the world or doing much of anything besides his calligraphy and scroll work.

While he stands close to 6' tall, he cannot be considered imposing or forceful by appearance. The scale armor he wears with the heavy wooden shield is necessitated more by his need to hide and protect himself than it is about martial prowess.

In the monastery, Kyson would happily be wearing his clerical vestments if he owned them. As it stands now, Kyson's holy symbol hangs prominently around his neck is the only sign of Kyson's connection to Sarenrae.

Kyson has three weapons of note (a rusty scimitar, an unused whip, and a cutting knife), but none of them show any sign of heavy use, sharpening, or care save for the cutting knife. Kyson will tell others that he's been trained to fight with the scimitar, but those lessons have long been forgotten and Kyson's arms look barely adequate to even hold the blade, much less use it effectively.

* * * *

At the appointed hour, Kyson will approach the Vanderboren estate. He will wait outside by the front gate for a few moments, nervous about letting himself in, but will eventually gather enough courage (or if he sees someone else enter first follow them) to enter.


Male Elf Rogue (pirate) 6/ Gunslinger 2
Stats:
AC 20,T 16, FF 15; HP 47/47; Fort +5, Ref +14, Will +4

Sekathral is relatively short for an elf at about 5' 10"; his short stature is exacerbated by a pronounced stoop. His clothes do not fit well, having been stolen from an unattended washing line some time ago; they are of an indeterminate shade between black, grey and brown and full of holes, and more akin to the styles worn by the peasantry in Tian Xia than those seen around the Inner Sea. Despite the heat, he has a heavy black cloak over his shirt and trousers and wears a scruffy black turban wound around his head.

His hair is black, and tied back in a long, tarred pigtail, his eyes are a dull silver and his skin is brown; faded Ekujae tribal tattoos cover his face, with less traditional markings adorning the rest of his meagre body. Possibly the only things about him that are in good conditions are his strong, white teeth and his weapons - a basket hilted cutlass and a selection of nasty-looking daggers, all immaculately clean and razor sharp


Male Elf Rogue (pirate) 6/ Gunslinger 2
Stats:
AC 20,T 16, FF 15; HP 47/47; Fort +5, Ref +14, Will +4

He pushes open the gates and walks in, instinctively avoiding areas of strong light and looking about suspiciously for guards. He walks up to the door, stares at it for a moment, then spits loudly into a potted plant next to the entrance and knocks.


Human Free Hand Fighter 8, 39/68 hit points, AC 23;F8/R6/W1, Perception -1

"Leaves that give energy, ey?", Silvio says and smells one of the leaves. "Silvio's got energy a plenty, but it is poor conduct to refuse a gift, so Silvio will accept", the man says and puts the leave into his coat pocket. He is clothed in the same garb he wore at the wake with a tricornered hat added to the outfit. A fine blue coat with matching trousers, a white shirt with the top buttons unbuttoned underneath and a pair of sturdy leather boots of good craftmanship on his feet. Attire fit for a man of high birth, although not well maintained and in need of a good washing.

The chelaxian himself has cleaned himself up notably. His shoulder long brown hair have been washed and combed and his mustache has been trimmed. His pearly white smile and golden brown eyes makes the young man's face almost glow. He is in short, quite dashing.

By his hip hands a thin blade roughly the lenght of a longsword, sheathed in a beautifly crafted black scabbard.

"Clothes matter not", silvio laughs and pats Zstelian on the shoulder. "You're invited. It is with words and charm you will win their favor! So says Silvio", the young chelaxian proclaims. "You however", he says to the Kyson, "will find the evening cumbersome and , clad in that uncomfortable steel." He flicks one of the scales with a finger, producing a ringing tone. "Fine for fending of swords and axes, no doubt. But not forks, knives and idle chatter! Yet, the best defence is to not be where the blade falls. The empty air has taken many blows for Silvio!", he laughts.

"You! Silvio recognizes you from the wake", Silvio calls out to Sekathral as the elf enters. "Come, step into the shadows and tell Silvio and his newfound friends your name!"


Human (Taldan) - Scribe 8
Stats:
HP:59/59AC 21;F8/R5/W11;Kn (arc) +14 Kn (his) +9 Kn(pl) +14 Kn(rel) +14 Per +13 Sen Mot +13 Spellcraft +14

Kyson instinctively raises his hands to deflect the flicking blows (both verbal and physical) from Silvio.

"Don't hurt me! I came here for dinner, not to be beat upon." Kyson backs up a few steps.

"I have nothing better to wear and I rather like the feel of the metal, thank you. It feels safer."

Kyson looks to Zstelian to see how he reacts to the onslaught.


Human Free Hand Fighter 8, 39/68 hit points, AC 23;F8/R6/W1, Perception -1

"No, you misunderstand Silvio", Silvio states and raises his hands. "Silvio is not here to hand out beating, he is merely handing out advice. You should trust Silvio, he knows these things", the young man insures Kyson. "You are to tense. Some wine maybe, to ease your nerves", he suggests and looks about as if his words would magically summon a servant.


Male Varisian Ranger/Cleric 8 - 37/74 hp + 0 nonlethal, Init +4, AC 21 [touch 14, FF 16], Fort +12, Ref +9, Will +7; Perception +15

Zstelian stifles a chuckle at the Chelaxian's bizarre demeanor.

"I hope you're right", he says at Silvio's affirmation. "The Vanderborens were important to me. I'd hate to make a bad impression on their family and friends".

"Any ideas what this is about? It seems that not everyone at the wake was invited to this dinner", the ranger says as he folds a colorful bandanna he had been wearing around one arm and stows it in his pack.


Human (Taldan) - Scribe 8
Stats:
HP:59/59AC 21;F8/R5/W11;Kn (arc) +14 Kn (his) +9 Kn(pl) +14 Kn(rel) +14 Per +13 Sen Mot +13 Spellcraft +14

"I take it your name is Silvio? Nice to meet you..." I think...."I am Kyson Tirc. Of the monastery of Sarenrae. You seem quite forward, Silvio."

Kyson looks at the man thoroughly as if to judge how likely he is to beat Kyson a second time.

"Maybe I'll go stand over here while we talk." Kyson moves back a few feet. "At the monastery, we have a concept of 'personal space', a holy circle that belongs to you and Sarenrae to fill, unless one is involved in 'relations' or tending to injuries."

I don't recall inviting him for 'relations'.


Human Free Hand Fighter 8, 39/68 hit points, AC 23;F8/R6/W1, Perception -1

"Sarenrae?", Silvio says and looks puzzled for abit. "Ah, yes. She has something to do with the sun, yes? Silvio has heard of her. But Silvio is a creature of the sea, so he has never seen a priest of her until now. It is nice to meet you, Kyson. Silvio Callgari Pazzi, at your service", Silvio says and bows deftly before turning to Zstelian. "So you know about these Vanderborens, yes? You tell Silvio about them. They where great adventurers, yes?"

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

Your conversation is interrupted as the door is opened shortly after Sekathal's knock. The old halfling woman from the wake welcomes you into the house.

"Thank you for arriving so promptly," she says as she brings you to the atrium. "If you'll wait here a few moments, Lady Vanderboren shall be with you shortly."

After a few minutes, a group of four familiar figures -- the Jade Ravens from the wake -- emerges from the hall and heads past you toward the door. The tall, handsome man who'd identified himself as Tolin is wearing a polished breastplate and carrying a bastard sword; the half-elf wears leather armor and a half-dozen daggers of different shapes and styles; the dark-skinned dwarf, paced by what appears to be a large badger, wears brown and green robes and a sour expression, and carries a large curved spear; and the attractive human woman wears dark purple robes, with a tattoo of a crescent moon on one cheek.

Tolin glances over the group for a moment. "Hmmm. You must be the help Lavinia's bringing in to do the chores. Best of luck!"


Male Varisian Ranger/Cleric 8 - 37/74 hp + 0 nonlethal, Init +4, AC 21 [touch 14, FF 16], Fort +12, Ref +9, Will +7; Perception +15

Zsetlia's expression suddenly turns to one of confusion, "Wait, I'm afraid there's been some sort of misunderstanding. I thought this had something to do with a dinner in honor of Verik and Larissa's passing. Is help needed to prepare for the feast?", he asks.


Human (Taldan) - Scribe 8
Stats:
HP:59/59AC 21;F8/R5/W11;Kn (arc) +14 Kn (his) +9 Kn(pl) +14 Kn(rel) +14 Per +13 Sen Mot +13 Spellcraft +14

Kyson will enter last and give the others the chance to interact with the other guests first.

Upon entering, Kyson will introduce himself (maybe again...he's trying to be polite) to the halfling lady. "I am Kyson Tirc. Nice to meet you."

At the prospect of doing chores, Kyson's face lights up and asks the halfling, "Chores? What kind of chores? I like scribing and copying. Or raking leaves. That would be keen."

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

The Jade Ravens all laugh at your comments. "Well, hopefully it won't be anything too difficult," Tolin says. "But we've got our own work to do."

The woman, still laughing, lets her fingers trail over Kyson's armor as she walks by him, a wide smile on her face. "Raking? Simply keen..."

The four head for the door, leaving you waiting in the atrium.


Human Free Hand Fighter 8, 39/68 hit points, AC 23;F8/R6/W1, Perception -1

Silvio's attention is immedietly drawn to the woman clad in the purple robes, the scorn from the mercenaries fly past without notice. "I see that the Vanderborens are keen on the company of beautiful women. This is a trait they share with Silvio. Come tell Silvio, is your name as wonderful as your eyes?"


Male Elf Rogue (pirate) 6/ Gunslinger 2
Stats:
AC 20,T 16, FF 15; HP 47/47; Fort +5, Ref +14, Will +4

"Watch out, cap'n" mutters Sekathral to Silvio. "Get too fresh and she'll turn your old chap into an angry baby reefclaw. Happened to me once, and I've never looked sideways at a sorceress again." He pauses, then speaks again. "Don't know what they want with us, but I'll bet anyone 10 gold that we end up with the dirty end of whatever it is. You mark my words" He relapses into a moody silence, wrapping himself up in his cloak.


Male Varisian Ranger/Cleric 8 - 37/74 hp + 0 nonlethal, Init +4, AC 21 [touch 14, FF 16], Fort +12, Ref +9, Will +7; Perception +15

Zstelia watches the mercenaries walk away and turns to his companions even more confused that before.

"Maybe Lavinia can explain all of this".

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

The woman, still laughing, looks over her shoulder at Silvio's words. "My, you are a bold one. Do you have any doubt my name is as wonderful as my eyes? Perhaps if you manage to do a good job ... raking the leaves ... I'll even grace you with it."

With that, she turns and follows the other Ravens out of the manor, though you think she may have been strutting a bit more as she went, looking to draw the eyes of any of the six of you.

A few minutes later, Kora returns. "Thank you for waiting," she says.

She leads you through what appears to be a trophy hall -- the many trophies here, all preserved by a skilled taxidermist, include saber-toothed cats, a crouching sharp-toothed dog-sized lizard of some sort, a bloated toad the size of a pony and a strange badger-like creature with golden fur and eight legs, among the more mundane animals -- into a spacious room filled with upholstered chairs, bookshelves and a few ables.

A window in the dining room overlooks the manor's central courtyard and the carpet is think and soft. A large portrait hangs on one wall, a fine work depicting a handsome young man with a short beard and a sneer on his face. Standing before the portrait is an attractive human woman in her early 20s wearing a long, flowing blue dress, who smiles as you enter.

"Welcome," she says. "I'm Lavinia Vanderboren. Thank you so much for accepting my invitation. Won't you please be seated?" She gestures to the table, where plates already sit filled with food and glass goblets are filled with a white wine.

Zstelian:

Zstelian, you do a quick double take as the woman is the spitting image of her mother, Larissa.


Male Varisian Ranger/Cleric 8 - 37/74 hp + 0 nonlethal, Init +4, AC 21 [touch 14, FF 16], Fort +12, Ref +9, Will +7; Perception +15

Zstelian finds himself staring just a moment longer than would be curtious as old and very powerful emotions flood his thoughts.

"It's a pleasure to meet you", the older man says with a sharp bow. "I knew your mother quite well. You... have her eyes", he compliments - the pain subtle in his voice.


Human (Taldan) - Scribe 8
Stats:
HP:59/59AC 21;F8/R5/W11;Kn (arc) +14 Kn (his) +9 Kn(pl) +14 Kn(rel) +14 Per +13 Sen Mot +13 Spellcraft +14

Kyson will enter the room and examine at the trophy-lined walls.

"Are we supposed to dust these?" Kyson points a mean looking saber-toothed cat.

I've never cleaned fur before.

Kyson prepares to take a seat.

Nice food and wine for a chore-doers.

As an after thought, Kyson will introduce himself to the lady. "I am Kyson Tirc. Of the local Sarenraen monastery."


Male Elf Rogue (pirate) 6/ Gunslinger 2
Stats:
AC 20,T 16, FF 15; HP 47/47; Fort +5, Ref +14, Will +4

Sekathral slopes in behind Kyson and looks around him suspiciously. This is not the sort of thing he's used to in the slightest. He salutes in a desultory manner and grunts "Sekathral" , then sits down and peers at the food and wine, looking for anything that might suggest the presence of poison.


Male Gnome Internal Alchemist 2

Before Lavinia enters, Finnwappet replies, "Bah, never worry, a bit of industry is a good thing to accomplish. Having goals, and something to set your mind and body to, that leads to the continuation of a healthy body, mind, and soul. I, for one, welcome it."

Once Lavinia enters and introduces herself, the gnome adds, "Finnwappet Balnibarbi Foonshizzle Luggnagg, at your service. Feel free to call me 'Finn' instead, if it will help."

Finn jumps into his seat upon invitation and examines the food and drink. "Goodness me, these look fantastic! Your cook is quite the find."


Human Free Hand Fighter 8, 39/68 hit points, AC 23;F8/R6/W1, Perception -1
motteditor wrote:

The woman, still laughing, looks over her shoulder at Silvio's words. "My, you are a bold one. Do you have any doubt my name is as wonderful as my eyes? Perhaps if you manage to do a good job ... raking the leaves ... I'll even grace you with it."

"Bold? Me? No!" Silvio says and throws up his hands to display his innocence. "It is you my lady. Silvio is not himself when around you", the nobleman claims eventhough he just met the woman. "It breaks my heart to see you leave, my lady, but it is a feast for my eyes to watch you walk", he calls out as she leaves with the other mercenies.

If he was infatuated by the woman in purple, Silvio shows no signs of it when faced with the lady Lavinia Vanderboren. He bows deeply and kisses her hand. "You need not thank Silvio. When a lovely woman calls, Silvio is powerless to resist." He smiles his pearly smile and takes a seat. "I can see that this is a dinner to Silvio's liking", he says and tastes the wine.

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

Lavinia greets you gracefully, though she does seem a bit surprised at Zseltian's comment and gives him a quick, but searching glance, then looks around for a moment, perhaps for someone not in the room, before turning back to you.

"Thank you," she says. "While we were not always close, I loved my mother very much.

"And you, Brother Tirc, are welcome. I have to admit, I have received correspondence from Brother Innersol at your monastery about you. Unfortunately, I can not fulfill his request at the moment, but perhaps with your help, I will be able to."

She smiles at Silvio's comment, saying "I hope you shall all enjoy it. Please, Finn, Sekathral, all of you, be seated."

When you all have settled yourselves around the table and begun eating -- broiled parrot over coconut rice -- she lets her gaze travel to each of you for a moment, doing her best to catch your eyes.

"As you may have heard, I recently inherited my parents' estate," she says, both sadness and strength evident in her voice. "Along with this fine house, unfortunately, came a fine amount of debt owed the Dawn Council, the harbormaster and quite a few guildhalls. It seems my parents, for all their successes, were not as skilled at finance as one might expect. If I'm to get these taxes paid, I'll need to access my family's vault under Castle Teraknian.

"And that's the problem, you see. The vaults are magically locked, keyed to special signet rings. Both of my parents had these rings, at least until recently. My mother lost hers a few months ago. She arranged for a replacement, but it won't be done for another month or so, too late for me.

"Which leaves my father's ring. He never wore it -- he had a thing about men wearing jewelry -- but kept it hidden somewhere on his ship, the Blue Nixie. The problem is the harbormaster sized the ship until someone pays for the last four months of mooring. I've paid the fines to the man he put in charge of my ship, a brute named Soller Vark. But when I went to claim the Nixie, Vark's men wouldn't let me on board, claiming I hadn't paid yet. I spoke to Vark again and he denied ever receiving my payment. My complaints to the harbormaster have fallen on deaf ears -- he's a doddering old fool who trusts his man and won't relent.

"Vark and his men are up to something on my ship, I know it. What I need to find out is exactly what it is. Unfortunately, Vark's not the type to react well to diplomacy or logic. I need someone who speaks his language ... which is where you come in. If you can find out what he's using my ship for, or even better, recover the money I paid him, I'll pay each of you 200 gold in return once I have access to my vault."


Male Varisian Ranger/Cleric 8 - 37/74 hp + 0 nonlethal, Init +4, AC 21 [touch 14, FF 16], Fort +12, Ref +9, Will +7; Perception +15

Zstelian tries to focus on his meal but can't help but steal glances at Lavinia and each time he does he thinks about Larissa. Resurfacing memories of the woman he loved cause a deep ache within his heart.

"Yes, of course. I'll help", the Varisian says softly.

"How much do you know about this Vark? Does he have a favorite tavern he frequents perhaps? How many men does he have at his disposal?"

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

"Unfortunately I don't know much. I fear he's a dangerous fighter -- he has a large scar on his face that he said he got during a fight with a hook-handed pirate. I saw a half-dozen people on the ship when I tried to board it, but there could be more."


Male Varisian Ranger/Cleric 8 - 37/74 hp + 0 nonlethal, Init +4, AC 21 [touch 14, FF 16], Fort +12, Ref +9, Will +7; Perception +15

"Well hopefully we can make him see the error of his ways without it coming to a straight up brawl", Zstelian says. "I used to get into a scrap here and there when I was a young buck but those days are behind me", the Varisian laments.

"Then again, the Dwarf looks like he's built to fight a small army", the ranger says indicating Dargon.


Male Dwarf Monk 5 [HP 54/54]

Just before Zstelian mentions Dargon:
Dargon suddenly shows up and upon noticing Lavinia he shouts out, Lavinia! Dear Lass, how are you holding up? Before giving her a real chance to respond he continues toward her and grasps her for a loving and friendly embrace.

“Don’t worry Lass, I’ll go down to the Nixie and set this Soller thug straight if that’s what needs doing. And I don’t want to hear another word about paying me any gold either. You and your folks were dear to me and I’ll not stand by while some thugs keep you from what’s rightfully yours.”, Dargon responds.

Dargon won’t accept payment for this. In general he also wouldn’t ask for anything in return for helping Lavinia with anything she needs. Although, he would fear refusing gifts given in genuine thanks as he would consider it to be rude.


Human (Taldan) - Scribe 8
Stats:
HP:59/59AC 21;F8/R5/W11;Kn (arc) +14 Kn (his) +9 Kn(pl) +14 Kn(rel) +14 Per +13 Sen Mot +13 Spellcraft +14

Kyson eyes go wide.

"What? WHAT?! You've been talking to Brother Innersol?!" Kyson tries to take a moment and regain his composure.

Calm down there, Kyson. Of course they've been talking.

"What were Brother Innersol instructions to you, if you don't mind me asking. Or, better yet, he had instructions for me? Plans?"

* * *

After hearing the tale of the ship, Kyson is less worried. "Oh, is that all? Go talk to some ship-people and then I can go back to the monastery? Uhm...okay."

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

"Welcome, Dargon. It is good to see you too, but please, my ribs..."

"Thank you all for accepting. I hope it will take no more than words, but my intuition tells me something isn't right. Why wouldn't they let me on the ship if not? It is mine, after all. It can't simply be trying to blackmail me, as I have no more money unless I can get on the Nixie."

"I appreciate your generosity, Dargon, but I wouldn't want to put any of you out. As I said, though, unless you can find my father's ring on the ship, I wouldn't be able to offer any of you any recompense."

"Brother Tirc, I -- or rather my parents, I should say -- received a request from Brother Innersol regarding you. He has a brother, one of blood and not just faith, whom he wishes you to meet and thought my parents could arrange transportation. At the moment, it's of little relevance, though, as I could not grant the request anyway."


Male Elf Rogue (pirate) 6/ Gunslinger 2
Stats:
AC 20,T 16, FF 15; HP 47/47; Fort +5, Ref +14, Will +4

"What's the plan, then?" asks Sekathral through a mouthful of parrot. "I can get on board quietly pretty easily - maybe slip something in their food to make sure we're not interrupted, if Finn has anything suitable... Don't reckon we'd get too far talking to them, but..." He shrugs and continues eating.


Male Gnome Internal Alchemist 2

Finn raises an eyebrow. "Slip something into their food? I prefer to think of myself as a master of health, but I'm sure I could arrange a distraction. However, I'm wondering more about Mr. Vark's motivations. Ms. Vanderboren, what about the payment? How was it delivered? Could he know about the ring?

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

"I gave the money to Vark myself. Unfortunately, I guess I was as foolish as my parents. I should have had witnesses to the exchange, but what's done is done. I don't think he could know about the ring. If I had to guess -- and it is just a guess -- he's planning to sell the boat to someone else after claiming it to pay for the dock fees. Still, I don't know why he wouldn't even let me on board as I could hardly sail it away myself."


Male Varisian Ranger/Cleric 8 - 37/74 hp + 0 nonlethal, Init +4, AC 21 [touch 14, FF 16], Fort +12, Ref +9, Will +7; Perception +15

"If that's the case it seems important that we make our move sooner rather than later", Zstelian concludes.

How far is it from the manor to the docks where the ship is being kept?


Male Dwarf Monk 5 [HP 54/54]
motteditor wrote:
Please give a physical description of your characters as you arrive, then take it away.

Dargon has a wild red mane, deep eye sockets and black eyes. Standing at 4'5" and just over 200 lbs, he's a bit stocky, with a slab-like torso, and arms the size of battering rams. He is just over a century old but doesn't look it. With rosy skin and a near wrinkleless face, it's not hard to mistake him for a dwarf half his age.

Unlike most dwarves he doesn't favor armaments and is wearing nothing but a simple vest and trousers. The most notable part of his dress is the silver clan signet ring of a pick ax over a mountain range that he wears on his right index finger. In addition to that he also has both a throwing axe and a hand axe, usually strapped to his belt, that he leaves at the door. Those more perceptive might notice the outlines of 3 flasks (of various dwarven ales) in pockets behind his vest.

motteditor wrote:
"I gave the money to Vark myself. Unfortunately, I guess I was as foolish as my parents. I should have had witnesses to the exchange, but what's done is done. I don't think he could know about the ring. If I had to guess -- and it is just a guess -- he's planning to sell the boat to someone else after claiming it to pay for the dock fees. Still, I don't know why he wouldn't even let me on board as I could hardly sail it away myself."

"Don't beat yourself up Lass. You had no way of knowing he wouldn't do right by you," Dargon says in an attempt to comfort Lavinia. “We’ll go and try to make this right for ya.”

Dargon takes a moment to think on whether he knows of any harbor contacts due to his merchant profession that could help tell him more about Soller Vark.

If so...:
"I know someone that might be able to help. Might stop by his(her) place to ask about this Soller fella."

If not...:
"Too bad old man Torris isn't working the docks anymore... he had a reputation for knowing who's who down there."

Zstelian Karela wrote:
"Then again, the Dwarf looks like he's built to fight a small army", the ranger says indicating Dargon.

Dargon looks to Zstelian with a slight chukle, “That I could, Zstelian. But perhaps we should talk to him and keep it from coming to that. I wouldn’t want to give them reason to cause little Lavinia any more trouble.”

Sekathral wrote:
"What's the plan, then?" asks Sekathral through a mouthful of parrot. "I can get on board quietly pretty easily - maybe slip something in their food to make sure we're not interrupted, if Finn has anything suitable... Don't reckon we'd get too far talking to them, but..." He shrugs and continues eating.

Dargon then turns to Sekathral looking him up and down for a moment, thinking to himself, "I trust Lavinia's judgement... but best keep an eye on that one."

Then says to him in response, "Not a bad plan if it comes to that, but I plan to go talk with Soller first. It'd be good to 'ear from him what this is all about. If it gets us nowhere, might try your way. If nothing else to keep it from looking like Lavinia is the one causing the trouble."

Zstelian Karela wrote:
"If that's the case it seems important that we make our move sooner rather than later", Zstelian concludes.

Turning back to Zstelian, "Agreed."


Human (Taldan) - Scribe 8
Stats:
HP:59/59AC 21;F8/R5/W11;Kn (arc) +14 Kn (his) +9 Kn(pl) +14 Kn(rel) +14 Per +13 Sen Mot +13 Spellcraft +14

Kyson looks over the rest of the group.

"I can go help talk to them. It's probably just a misunderstanding, right? I'd hate it to come to violence. Besides, I'm sure Soller Vark probably has some ledgers or notes that show that you paid, right?"

Kyson likes reading.

"I would be happy to go first thing in the morning...unless you'd like us to go right now?"

Kyson is not a big fan of the dark.


Male Elf Rogue (pirate) 6/ Gunslinger 2
Stats:
AC 20,T 16, FF 15; HP 47/47; Fort +5, Ref +14, Will +4

Sekathral looks up at Dargon and Kyson. "Fine - talk first, business if that fails. Do you want the rest of us along as extra muscle in the event of things getting lively, or shall I have a discreet look at this ship?" He turns to Lavinia. "I don't suppose you've got a plan of the vessel, or could you draw one? Anything'd help - just knowing where a cove who didn't want to be seen could get in and out would be a start"


Male Gnome Internal Alchemist 2

Sniffing contemplatively at the parrot, Finn continues Sekrathal's thought, adding, "It wouldn't have to be a large space. I can squeeze through some rather impossibly small spaces when required.


Male Dwarf Monk 5 [HP 54/54]
Sekathral wrote:
Sekathral looks up at Dargon and Kyson. "Fine - talk first, business if that fails. Do you want the rest of us along as extra muscle in the event of things getting lively, or shall I have a discreet look at this ship?" He turns to Lavinia. "I don't suppose you've got a plan of the vessel, or could you draw one? Anything'd help - just knowing where a cove who didn't want to be seen could get in and out would be a start"

"Sekathral, don't go encouraging them to do anything stupid by boarding the ship just yet," Dargon interrupts, "But if you can do so without them taking notice, go ahead and get in for a closer look before we come knocking. Knowing that Kyson and myself won't be walking into a dragon's den would be good.

***

Finnwappet Luggnagg wrote:
Sniffing contemplatively at the parrot, Finn continues Sekrathal's thought, adding, "It wouldn't have to be a large space. I can squeeze through some rather impossibly small spaces when required.

Dargon gives Finnwappet an approving nod then looks back to Sekathral, "Maybe take Finn to help."

1 to 50 of 5,967 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Motteditor's Savage Tide PBP All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.