Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

DM CH-P's CoT: The Bastards of Erebus

Game Master Are


5,701 to 5,750 of 10,986 << first < prev | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | 116 | 117 | 118 | 119 | 120 | next > last >>

Derek - Private dinner:

The gnome continues laughing. "I was worried for a moment there! After you speared the last piece of meat with such ease, I thought I had just given away a meal fit for kings!" A waitress quickly makes her way to the broken shards of mug and begins cleaning up the mess. Thunderbelly claps Derek on the shoulder. "Perhaps you'll best me next time!"

***

Derek - Gardener dinner:

Janiven responds to Derek's question. "Some have begun wearing our colors after your adventures, but they're not recruits. Yet. That's another reason these patrols seem like a good idea. If more people see that the Gardeners make an effort to improve the lives of the Wiscrani, at risk to themselves, hopefully more will join our fight."


Yahirma:

"Everyone can join, of course. We would be delighted for the help!" Rizzardo lowers his head slightly. "We didn't ask you, or Maddok, or the others, because we thought you would be busy with more important tasks. Things we didn't know, or wouldn't be able to help with."


Appario:

"Please, call me Antuin. No more of this 'Sir Knight' business! We all have a common cause, after all." He thinks for a moment. "Daylight, yes. That was mentioned, I believe. Sclavo and Fiosa have spent all day in the markets, purchasing items that might be required during the patrols. I expect they purchased means to produce strong light as well. Some among them can produce light from nothing seemingly without effort, but they were certain they needed something stronger."


Everyone - Following the announcement:

The words of encouragement and admiration from the more experienced Gardeners are met with gratitude and pride, and several among the others bring up their group's prior successes as having been inspirational for them.

Sclavo, for instance, says "When I heard the tales of your deeds, I was shamed that I hadn't done more for Westcrown myself. I had been content to try to change the system slowly, from within, but you made me realize that for true change to occur, action would be required. Thank you."


Male Human (Azalanti) Bard 8/Fighter 4

Private Dinner

"Well, I could have hit it if I used all my powers, but this was meant to be a test of skill alone, and this time, your skill bested mine." Derek says this with complete sincerity and no hint of arrogance or reproach, simply stating facts.

"But now I got two questions, one, how much does the check come to, and two, what will you bet master Nonon here?"

Gardener Dinner

Derek nods at the enthusiasm of the "junior" gardeners. The old Derek would probably do some grandstanding at this event, pointing out that he was the one who started the whole idea of getting them trained.
But the idea only bubbles under the surface, giving him a small jolt of pride at their accomplishments.

"You are all doing very well, but you forget one thing. We started out small as well. It is based on the experiences we gathered as simple information collectors that led us to this point.
Patrolling is all very well, just don't try to put the roof up before you've built the walls eh?"

Not wanting to give insult or curb any enthusiasm, Derek digs deep in his repertoire of acting ability to deliver the admonishment with as much tact as he possibly can.
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (18) + 15 = 33

Taking Antuin aside for a moment, Derek leans close and whispers, "I'd like you to give me a few private lessons as well, and please, keep this to yourself ok?"

Then he turns to Livia, with just a hint of mischief in his eyes.
"Would you like to become a gardener too Livia, you as much as are one already from helping me with our private adventures. I bet someone here could make you a little cloak to wear."


Male Shoanti Barbarian/Summoner 12 | 136/136 hp + 0 nonlethal, Init +2, AC 25 (29 /w barkskin) (+1 near Derek) [touch 16, FF 23], Fort +15, Ref +9, Will +12; Perception +6
Resources:
1st 5/6 | 2nd 1/5 | 3rd 1/4 | 4th 3/3 | Summon 7/7 | Rage 20/20

Maddok wraps on arm around his apprentice's burly shoulders.

"Good. There's no room for doubt where you and the others are going", the Shoanti says. "But still..."

The big smith pulls a dagger from a harness at his hip.

"You should have this. Carry it with you on your patrols", Maddok says as he offers the shadowsteel dagger he forged months ago. "It's made from a rare metal the others and I encountered when we infiltrated the mayor's manor. It bears no blessings or enchantments but will wound the shadowbeasts without fail."


Male Chelish Arcane Caster 12 HP: 123/123(+11) AC: 30 FF: 23, Touch: 22 F:+16, R:+12, W:+19 Perception:+18(Effects: Mage Armor, Heroism, Barkskin+4, False Life, Freedom of Movement, Remove Fear, Resist Energy

Mathalen

"Well, I assumed you knew what you were doing when I first decided to ally with you . But then I met some of you and I started to have doubts. But now I am confident in the majority of you. And that is good enough for me." Xerath looks at Appario during the middle of his reply. "Apologizes for any offense."


Female Changeling (Mauxi Mwangi) Mwangi Spiritualist 12

Quirking a smile, Yahirma remarks, "There are great things in motion, no doubt, Rizzardo. Still, there is no point in lowering one's guard to strike the scorpion's head when its sting strike truer for your distraction. The Gardeners are fortunate to have both those who root out the problem's cause as well as those able to shield the populace. I will certainly make time to accompany you and the others - particularly as several of the others work to piece together our next step."


Male Human (Taldan) Abadaran Militant 12

Appario enjoys the rest of his dinner, confident in the direction of the Gardeners.

Nothing can possibly go wrong.

Appario sips his wine, relaxes, and enjoys himself.

Yep. Nothing can possibly go wrong.


Derek - Private dinner:

Thunderbelly makes a show of trying to figure out a suitable bet for Nonon, and Nonon looks somewhat worried for a while. Until the gnome bursts into another bout of thunderous laughter. "Hah! No, I'll let him off easy this time. Since he's your guest. But next time," he waggles a fat finger near Nonon's face, "you won't be so lucky!"

***

Derek - Gardener dinner:

Antuin looks at Derek, measuring the younger man. "Certainly. Perhaps two nights from now? Would that suit you?" He awaits Derek's answer, then asks another question. "Do you have a specific type of training in mind?"

***

Livia's tiny laughter trills down from the rafters. "Do you think so? An imp gardener! I don't think anyone has seen that before!"

She flies down towards him. "I'd like a cloak. But it couldn't be in the way of my wings!"


Maddok:

Rizzardo accepts the dagger gratefully. "Thank you, master. I will carry it with me always. It will soon feel the blood of shadowbeasts once more!"

***

Xerath:

"That is good. I'm glad I was able to restore your faith in us. And I hope your doubts will soon be washed away."

***

Yahirma:

The youth frowns at Yahirma's words. "I don't know of scorpions, but I believe I understand your meaning. I saw several imps, like your Livia, in Korvosa. Like you say, their sting can come when you least expect it. I'll look forward to having you with us tonight."


Male Chelish Arcane Caster 12 HP: 123/123(+11) AC: 30 FF: 23, Touch: 22 F:+16, R:+12, W:+19 Perception:+18(Effects: Mage Armor, Heroism, Barkskin+4, False Life, Freedom of Movement, Remove Fear, Resist Energy

Mathalen

"I hope so as well. Now if you'll excuse me." Xerath will leave the company of Mathalen in search of a certain imp. He finds her talking to Derek. "Livia? If you're still interested in training with me like we discussed, meet me here tommorow morning. And I mean early tommorow morning."


Male Human (Taldan) Abadaran Militant 12

Appario sits and enjoys the company and conversation for long into the night.

After most people have left and gone to bed, Appario, too, will make his way to his sleeping area.

"Good night all. Remember that Abadar protects those who enjoin to protect themselves."

Appario gait is somewhat looser than usual, matching his tongue during the evening for Appario probably downed nearly 2 glasses of wine over the time he was seated, a large amount for a man not known to indulge.

I hope to avoid a hangover.


Male Shoanti Barbarian/Summoner 12 | 136/136 hp + 0 nonlethal, Init +2, AC 25 (29 /w barkskin) (+1 near Derek) [touch 16, FF 23], Fort +15, Ref +9, Will +12; Perception +6
Resources:
1st 5/6 | 2nd 1/5 | 3rd 1/4 | 4th 3/3 | Summon 7/7 | Rage 20/20

Once the festivities have died down, Maddok too retires for the evening.

Does Rizzardo ever talk to Janiven?


He does; I was getting to that, but I wanted to finish at least one of Rizzardo's other two conversations first!

***

Xerath:

Livia flutters around Xerath's head excitedly. "I'll be here! I can't wait!"

***

Maddok:

As the evening turns late, Maddok sees his young apprentice pull Janiven away from the immediate festive area. He can see them engage in conversation, although it seems to be mostly Rizzardo speaking at first. Janiven says something once the youth has finished, holding him by the shoulder while speaking, followed soon after by both returning to the feast.

***

Everyone/Yahirma:

When the evening nears its completion, many among the Gardeners begin putting on their heavier armors, unconsciously testing the grip of their weapons, and otherwise preparing for their night of patrolling.

Rizzardo approaches Yahirma. "We thought we'd patrol in one large group the first few nights, and perhaps split up to cover more ground following a successful encounter with a shadowbeast. But since you'll come with us, perhaps you have a better idea?"


Male Human (Taldan) Abadaran Militant 12

Appario stops in his slow tracks as Rizzardo speaks to Yahirma, waiting to see if he'll be needed as well before going to bed.

Let them organize themselves, Appario. Trust in civilization. But also do your part.

Maybe I should stay up tonight to guard this place?


Male Human (Azalanti) Bard 8/Fighter 4

Private Dinner:

Derek slowly removes his coat and begins to roll up his sleeves.
"Ah, the glamour and excitement of the dishwasher. No matter where you go, you can be sure that the dishwasher ids enjoying his life of passion and drama behind the curtains."

Derek retrieves one of the mugs and starts to speak to it.
"This simple container of beverage, what stories might it not share with us if it could but talk to us in such a way as us mere mortals could understand?"

"For we delude ourselves into thinking that we enjoy a meal to the fullest...
NAY I say!
The truth is only ever revealed after we unlucky few depart the dinner table to return to our lives, only then does the true adventure begin for the humble dishwasher..."

Perform Act: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (14) + 15 = 29

"Public dinner":

Derek nods in agreement when the date is suggested, then he goes silent for a moment, hesitant, almost a bit shy.
"Well...everything really. From the start up with the basics. Teach me all you can, from the very simplest exercises to the level you feel I am able to learn..."

Derek smiles at Livia.
"Good point, well make it a cloak that has two slits in it so you can put your wings through and fly unhindered."


Male Chelish Arcane Caster 12 HP: 123/123(+11) AC: 30 FF: 23, Touch: 22 F:+16, R:+12, W:+19 Perception:+18(Effects: Mage Armor, Heroism, Barkskin+4, False Life, Freedom of Movement, Remove Fear, Resist Energy

Livia

"Good. Be prepared for a long day." Xerath will make his exit from the dinner. He carefully treads through the streets back to his hideout for some rest.


Female Changeling (Mauxi Mwangi) Mwangi Spiritualist 12
Rizzardo wrote:
"We thought we'd patrol in one large group the first few nights, and perhaps split up to cover more ground following a successful encounter with a shadowbeast. But since you'll come with us, perhaps you have a better idea?"

Knowledge (Planes) 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (20) + 14 = 34

Yahirma thinks for a moment and pulls out a thick folio to perform a quick reference before answering. "The shadow hounds are canny, and they might not take the bait if a group is too large. On the other hand, most creatures native to the Plane of Shadow hunger for the warmth of our world and the essence of mortal life. We may find that sending the entire group out is like baiting a fish hook with an elephant; if the bait is too large, the prey will never think to approach," she muses aloud. Pondering the idea for a moment more, she concludes, "The city has known patience in dealing with a most patient foe, and we can do the same. Let us travel in one group for the first night, and - if the hunt is not fruitful - we might split into two smaller groups near one another for the second night."

After checking her pack and confirming that everything is in place, she shoulders the bag and nods to the group. "I shall not usurp the authority of those bold souls whose initiative makes this hunt possible. I shall follow your lead."

Yahirma's all set to hunt wherever the junior members wish to go, but she will readily offer her advice when asked by allowing the group full use of her Knowledge checks.


Male Shoanti Barbarian/Summoner 12 | 136/136 hp + 0 nonlethal, Init +2, AC 25 (29 /w barkskin) (+1 near Derek) [touch 16, FF 23], Fort +15, Ref +9, Will +12; Perception +6
Resources:
1st 5/6 | 2nd 1/5 | 3rd 1/4 | 4th 3/3 | Summon 7/7 | Rage 20/20

Satisfied that things are in good hands and that Rizzardo has spoken his feelings, Maddok retires for the evening.

"I expect stories on the morrow of the many beasts you slew", the Shoanti jests.

Maddok doesn't feel a need to tag along. As Appario would say, what could possibly go wrong?


Yahirma:

Several of the other Gardeners make their way to near Rizzardo and Yahirma, and the halfling Fiosa speaks after hearing Yahirma's words. "If our goal is to keep the streets safe for the Wiscrani, then keeping the beasts at bay is as much a victory as slaying them." She appends her words after a moment's thought. "But that risks sending them elsewhere to hunt, requiring smaller groups to keep more streets safe. But before we split up too far apart, we should know that we can handle them. Your idea of keeping two groups near eachother is a good one."

***

The first night's patrol/hunt occurs without encountering any shadowbeasts, leaving everyone to go tired (but still in high spirits) to their homes for a few hours' sleep before the morning's work, agreeing to meet again the following night to pursue Yahirma's idea.


Xerath:

When Xerath arrives at the safehouse the following morning, he finds Livia already there, swooping towards him from the shrine's rooftop. "There you are! I thought you said early!"


Male Human (Taldan) Abadaran Militant 12

Appario retires to bed.

In the morn, he will arise early to greet the returning Gardeners and to salute them on their victory.

"Keeping both the city and yourselves safe is victory. I hope each day is another victory...and some day we will win the war. Our struggle will be slow, but worth it in the end."


Bah. Leave it to your DM to forget why he's doing things.. I wanted to use the dinner to give Arael a chance to hear what you had been doing and were planning to do. Retro RP coming up.

***

Everyone - The previous evening:

Once everyone's bellies have been filled and the food has been taken off the table, Arael asks each of you to join him in an adjacent room, away from the noise in the main chamber.

He wastes no time in getting to the point. "The last time I saw you, you spoke of an assassin and a pit fiend. Is the assassin targeting one of you, or will he come after any of the other Gardeners? And a pit fiend.. I don't know much of such creatures, but I know I wouldn't want to be near one. Can there truly be a chance that such a powerful devil is in Westcrown? What of the shadowbeasts? Are you closer to finding a permanent solution to the problem, or to discovering who causes it?"


Male Chelish Arcane Caster 12 HP: 123/123(+11) AC: 30 FF: 23, Touch: 22 F:+16, R:+12, W:+19 Perception:+18(Effects: Mage Armor, Heroism, Barkskin+4, False Life, Freedom of Movement, Remove Fear, Resist Energy

Dinner

"Despite what some would say, since we're in Cheliax, I wouldn't rule it out. And I believe Derek and Appario know more about the assassin."

Next Morning

"Oh right, imps don't sleep. I should have said, right after sunrise. Well, let's get started then." If there is an open courtyard, he will use that as a training ground. If not, he will just find a room, preferably free from flammable materials and people.

"Alright, the first step is the hardest one. You are a free spirit, which is all well and good. However, you need to free all distractions from your mind. Being what you are, your blood carries magic within it as mine does. But in order to tap into it, you have to be disciplined, focused. Some believe that there is strength in instincts, in staying true to your heart. But all that leads to is wanton destruction and casualties. That is especially true when it comes to magic. Remember that with great power comes even greater responsibility. Now sit with me and meditate. Find your center." Xerath sits down legs folded and closes his eyes while he controls his breathing and waits for Livia to do the same.


Female Changeling (Mauxi Mwangi) Mwangi Spiritualist 12

The next day, having deducted a spell of each level for crafting, false alarms, and lack of sleep

"Two groups there shall be," Yahirma agrees. "Let us take care to make certain that there are in each group at least two who can keep a shadowbeast occupied in any ensuing melee and at least one who can produce bright light."

It will be a long week.


Male Human (Azalanti) Bard 8/Fighter 4

Previous evening

"Well, we did learn a specific name for both. I believe that Appario knows more about the assassin at this point than I do however, and the pit fiend. I've been too distracted with...personal problems to have looked into it yet.
However, I was planing on doing that next morning, taking a gander at the pathfinder lodge library to learn more."


Male Human (Taldan) Abadaran Militant 12
DM Are wrote:
He wastes no time in getting to the point. "The last time I saw you, you spoke of an assassin and a pit fiend. Is the assassin targeting one of you, or will he come after any of the other Gardeners? And a pit fiend.. I don't know much of such creatures, but I know I wouldn't want to be near one. Can there truly be a chance that such a powerful devil is in Westcrown? What of the shadowbeasts? Are you closer to finding a permanent solution to the problem, or to discovering who causes it?"

Appario smiles as Arael asks her questions, but politely attempts to answer the questions as best he can.

"Well, yes, we have tracked down the assassin moreso, but still don't have a clear path for finding him. I believe we have stalled." If there are other connections, Appario has missed them. Appario looks wistful. "I believe we had a chance, but haven't found him yet. Mayhaps I will try the trail again tomorrow."

Appario continues.

"As for the pit fiend, I feel that is just fanciful rumor or active imagination...people have always wanted to blame their problems on things not of this world, but, in reality, the problems are much more real and tangible: like the shadowbeasts. We have one unconfirmed report of a pit fiend, but without more evidence, it seems silly to worry too much about it."

"As for the shadowbeasts, I believe that they are somehow tied into the other piece of the artifact that Derek is happy to wave about, however, I don't think we know, yet, where that artifact is or where the person who holds it might be. I believe in the Gardeners to control the symptom with their patrols...which might give us the time to find the source and cause of them."

Appario finishes his wine and pauses, wondering what, if anything, he said was wrong or untrue.


Male Shoanti Barbarian/Summoner 12 | 136/136 hp + 0 nonlethal, Init +2, AC 25 (29 /w barkskin) (+1 near Derek) [touch 16, FF 23], Fort +15, Ref +9, Will +12; Perception +6
Resources:
1st 5/6 | 2nd 1/5 | 3rd 1/4 | 4th 3/3 | Summon 7/7 | Rage 20/20

Maddok nods.

"I'm afraid I have had little to do with the investigation into the Pit Fiend or assassin, but unlike Appario I believe little brother's contact.", the Shoanti explains. "The dead have little reason to lie."

"As for the assassin, it would be wise to raise the guard here. No doubt, our actions in the Hagwood have earned the Council's attention."


Everyone - At the dinner:

Arael listens closely to Appario's statement of the facts and clues (or lack thereof), and Derek's and Maddok's amendments, before he speaks again. "There seem to be many enemies of Westcrown, but little information about them. I hope you'll be able to learn more before it's too late."

"Raising the guard may be wise, but I don't want to bring undue attention to this place. If the assassin, or this Council you speak of, don't yet know of its function beyond as a simple shrine, then suddenly adding guardposts might alert them to it. I'll see to keeping someone inside on a regular shift, but discreetly."

***

Xerath - Training with Livia:

There's no open courtyard at the shrine (that's one reason the other Gardeners have been training at an abandoned warehouse), but Xerath likely remembers there's a large open courtyard at Delvehaven.

"Okay, I'll try!" Livia attempts to mimick Xerath, but after a long period of time it's obvious that she's not yet able to reach such a level of meditation. "Oh!" she bursts out in frustration. "This is hard! Every time I feel like I'm almost there, I hear something, or a fly whizzes past my eyes!"


Male Chelish Arcane Caster 12 HP: 123/123(+11) AC: 30 FF: 23, Touch: 22 F:+16, R:+12, W:+19 Perception:+18(Effects: Mage Armor, Heroism, Barkskin+4, False Life, Freedom of Movement, Remove Fear, Resist Energy

Delvehaven would work. Let's go with that.

"It is alright. We have all day. If meditation doesn't work, we can try something else." Xerath thinks to himself for a few moments. He nods his head as if agreeing with himself. "Alright lets try this approach. Watch what I do and listen to my words." He holds out his hands. "Just focus on what you want to create. In this case, a nice gout of flame. Infernus!" Fire surges from his hands in a cone in front of him. Burning Hands, FYI

"Now you try."


Male Human (Taldan) Abadaran Militant 12

Appario vows to do more to uncover more about the Council, the shadowbeasts, and the assassin when Arael agrees the need is great.

"I shall arise on the morrow early as well and attend with Derek and Yahirma to the Pathfinder Lodge wherein more answers might lie."


Male Human (Azalanti) Bard 8/Fighter 4

"Right, meet you both there then."


Male Human (Taldan) Abadaran Militant 12

Appario waits for Yahirma to make the journey to Delvehaven, hoping to make talk on the way there.

Appario tries to describe what he needs to Yahirma.

"Yahirma, you seem to know...stuff...you know? And sometimes you know stuff that most people don't know, ya know? I was wondering if you knew of a good way to spy on Walcourt. You know, from afar? We suspect that that's where lots of bad stuff is originating...and it might not be a bad idea to learn more about it." Appario fumbles for words.

"Can you think about that? I was just wondrin' because we don't have a lot to go on right now and you might be able to turn something up."


Male Shoanti Barbarian/Summoner 12 | 136/136 hp + 0 nonlethal, Init +2, AC 25 (29 /w barkskin) (+1 near Derek) [touch 16, FF 23], Fort +15, Ref +9, Will +12; Perception +6
Resources:
1st 5/6 | 2nd 1/5 | 3rd 1/4 | 4th 3/3 | Summon 7/7 | Rage 20/20

The discussion from the previous night's dinner fill Maddok's thoughts as he waits for his apprentice to arrive to begin the day's work.

An idea comes to the Shoanti just moments before Rizzardo arrives.

"Good morning Rizzardo. How was the hunt last night?"

After the youth has answered, the big man follows with another question.

"What would you say to another potentially deadly task?


Xerath:

Livia furrows her brows intently, seeming to focus entirely on the task at hand. "Infernus!" Yet, nothing happens. She tries again, and again, until eventually, for the briefest of moments, a small spark appears in her hands. "Iiii! Did you see that?! I made something!"

***

Maddok:

Rizzardo looks a bit tired when he arrives at the forge in the morning. "We didn't see any shadowbeasts." He sounds disappointed, but quickly perks up once Maddok voices his second question. "I'd welcome it! What do you have in mind?"

***

Yahirma - The next day's hunt:

After some initial discussion on how the teams should be arranged, making sure each has a variety of skills at their disposal, the Gardeners divide into two teams of six (provided Rizzardo survives the morning's endeavors!). Yahirma is joined by Rizzardo, Tarvi, Sclavo, Vitti, and the gnome Yakopulio, while the other team consists of Amaya, Fiosa, Mathalen, Ermolos, Gorvio, and Larko. The halfling Fiosa hands scrolls of daylight to each of Tarvi, Vitti, Amaya, and Gorvio before the groups set out. "Use these if you need bright light." She hands one to Yahirma as well, if she wants one.


Male Chelish Arcane Caster 12 HP: 123/123(+11) AC: 30 FF: 23, Touch: 22 F:+16, R:+12, W:+19 Perception:+18(Effects: Mage Armor, Heroism, Barkskin+4, False Life, Freedom of Movement, Remove Fear, Resist Energy

"I did see that. Good job. I knew you could do it if you put your mind to it. Now to practice so you can do that every time you try. And possibly even more." Xerath says in encouragement. And so he will continue to train Livia for the rest of the day. That is, unless he is rudely interrupted. But who would do such a thing?


Male Shoanti Barbarian/Summoner 12 | 136/136 hp + 0 nonlethal, Init +2, AC 25 (29 /w barkskin) (+1 near Derek) [touch 16, FF 23], Fort +15, Ref +9, Will +12; Perception +6
Resources:
1st 5/6 | 2nd 1/5 | 3rd 1/4 | 4th 3/3 | Summon 7/7 | Rage 20/20

"Don that armor I saw you wearing last night and follow me. I will explain what I know along the way", Maddok says. "Have you ever heard of the Sisters of Eiseth?"

With Rizzardo in tow, Maddok makes his way into the ruins towards the Massacre House. Along the trek he'll explain what little he knows about nun-assassins.


Male Human (Azalanti) Bard 8/Fighter 4

The next day, Derek will wake up bright and early, rubbing his hands together in anticipation.
It felt good to have a purpose once more, even if it was a slim one.
Once he had reached Delhaven he would head for the library right away, trusting the others to find him there, and that no danger remained for him to face.

It surprises me that no pathfinders are here, one would have thought they would have jumped at the chance to get back in here once we told them it was safe to do so.

"Greetings books, we will see a lot of each other I think, so let us get acquainted shall we?"

"No sense in looking for the assassin, these books are pretty old, so let's look for Liebdaga..."


There are no pathfinders because it has been less than a month since you gave your report to Ailyn. It takes time for her to get to Absalom, report to the Grand Lodge, them making a decision, and then pathfinders returning to Westcrown to reclaim Delvehaven. You wouldn't expect any Pathfinders for at least another month.

Knowledge checks using the library for research are made with a +4 bonus.


Xerath:

Livia continues making progress, and by the end of the day she's able to consistently create lingering sparks. She's not yet able to produce proper flames, though.

***

Maddok:

Rizzardo quickly gets his gear, then joins Maddok. "No, who are they?"

Once the two make their way past the dividing wall into the northern ruins of Westcrown, and begin walking towards the Massacre House, Maddok notices there seem to be fewer living creatures here than when he last visited. He spots no rats or other vermin along the streets.

When the pair arrive at the Massacre House, they find it looking just as uninviting as it did when Maddok last saw it.


Male Shoanti Barbarian/Summoner 12 | 136/136 hp + 0 nonlethal, Init +2, AC 25 (29 /w barkskin) (+1 near Derek) [touch 16, FF 23], Fort +15, Ref +9, Will +12; Perception +6
Resources:
1st 5/6 | 2nd 1/5 | 3rd 1/4 | 4th 3/3 | Summon 7/7 | Rage 20/20

Maddok reflects on what was said about the Sisters last time the party sought them out.

"The Sisters of Eiseth of a convent of women assassins. Their order has existed in Westcrown for generations but has fallen out of favor as the years have passed", the big Shoanti explains. "Last time we visited their last remaining monastery, little brother suggested driving them out of the city but perhaps it is for the best that we did not."

"An order as old as theirs is bound to have information from when Westcrown was young."

As Maddok makes his observations, he stops in puzzlement.

"Strange. What do you make of that? Normally these ruins are teaming with vermin..."


Rizzardo ponders the question. "Perhaps something has scared them away? It would be odd if the vermin simply disappeared."


Male Human (Azalanti) Bard 8/Fighter 4

Ah, point taken. I thought it was much longer than that. And having played mostly in Forgotten Realms in the past I guess I got used to people paying for teleports and such all the time.

Ok, Derek will use lore master to research Liebdaga, that is knowledge the planes I think, and with the +4 bonus he would end up with a DC of 40.

Derek will quickly settle in on the floor, skimming the books one by one and pile and book that seem promising in a pile at his feet.
Before long, he is reading through one book while cross referencing what he knows in two other books at the same time.
The floor of the library quickly fills with books open at a certain page while Derek moves back and forth between them, muttering to himself.

Hang on; didn't the "Thesis of unnatural lore" mention something about that...? No, that was "A journey through hell"...Now where did I put that one?
Over by the mantel piece!
So if I cross reference that with "A plague of darkness" and "A ray of light"...

Completely lost in his research, Dereks posture becomes more straight, his shoulders stops slumping and his smile becomes a little steadier.
Not thinking too much, or at least thinking about something besides his recent failures appears to do him good.


Male Shoanti Barbarian/Summoner 12 | 136/136 hp + 0 nonlethal, Init +2, AC 25 (29 /w barkskin) (+1 near Derek) [touch 16, FF 23], Fort +15, Ref +9, Will +12; Perception +6
Resources:
1st 5/6 | 2nd 1/5 | 3rd 1/4 | 4th 3/3 | Summon 7/7 | Rage 20/20

"Be on your guard", Maddok warns as he leads the way towards the Massacre House.

Before heading out Maddok will put his long term spells: Mage Armor and Greater Magic Fang.


Male Chelish Arcane Caster 12 HP: 123/123(+11) AC: 30 FF: 23, Touch: 22 F:+16, R:+12, W:+19 Perception:+18(Effects: Mage Armor, Heroism, Barkskin+4, False Life, Freedom of Movement, Remove Fear, Resist Energy

After a long day of training, Xerath decides to call it a day. "You've made good progress in a short time. I told you magic was in your blood. Let's go back, you deserve some rest."


Maddok - Massacre House:

Original description of Massacre House:

The crematorium-monastery known as "Massacre House" (to non-Sisters) is easily found, but it's quite far into the ruins. The hexagonal building with its triangular peaked roof is the only intact building in its immediate area, allowing anyone inside to easily spot approaching visitors. The exterior stone walls are 10 ft thick. Four arched passageways cut through this shell to four separate wooden doors (two on the north side and two on the south side). Each door is fitted with a narrow sliding window.

Rizzardo follows Maddok's lead, assuming a more guarded posture for the remaining walk towards Massacre House.

When the pair arrive at the Massacre House, they find it looking just as uninviting as it did when Maddok last saw it. Noone can be seen.


Derek - Research:

After thumbing through a large amount of books containing varying amounts of information, Derek is able to piece together that the pit fiend known as Liebdaga, or in some cases Liebdaga the Twin, is in fact one of the infernal dukes. More powerful than ordinary devils, the infernal dukes serve as Hell's nobility, frequently as captains of Hell's armies, but always exacting the will of the archdevils.

All infernal dukes are beneficiaries of one of the archdevils, and upon promotion from the ordinary ranks of devilkind they are reshaped into unique forms, granted unique powers, or both. Their promotion also bring with them an infernal mandate inspiring their actions for ages, and they possess absolute freedom to pursue their tasks however they please. Some among them even cultivate mortal followers of their own. Each infernal duke answers only to Asmodeus and the archdevils.

One of the books gives quick summaries of the current whereabouts of several of the infernal dukes (keep in mind this would be at least a century ago). Liebdaga the Twin is listed there as being the commander in charge of guarding the primary gateway to Erebus (the third layer of Hell) on Avernus (the first layer of Hell).

Another book remarks that the reason for his title of "the Twin" is a unique dualistic existence; Liebdaga's body and soul are separate, almost like that of a mortal. The passage goes on to mention that legends claim this dualistic aspect grants Liebdaga life after death, and that he has often been slain in combat simply to then swiftly rise and slay his would-be killer.


Male Shoanti Barbarian/Summoner 12 | 136/136 hp + 0 nonlethal, Init +2, AC 25 (29 /w barkskin) (+1 near Derek) [touch 16, FF 23], Fort +15, Ref +9, Will +12; Perception +6
Resources:
1st 5/6 | 2nd 1/5 | 3rd 1/4 | 4th 3/3 | Summon 7/7 | Rage 20/20

Maddok asks another boon of the spirits for himself and his apprentice as the duo approach the grisly monastery.

Barkskin on both.
1d100 ⇒ 64
1d100 ⇒ 77

The big Shoanti looks around briefly before approaching the main archway and knocking sharply.


Just like on his previous visit, about 10 seconds after Maddok knocks on the door, the narrow slide is opened. A pair of dark eyes can be seen through the opening, and a soft voice inquires "Yes?"

5,701 to 5,750 of 10,986 << first < prev | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | 116 | 117 | 118 | 119 | 120 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM CH-P's CoT: The Bastards of Erebus All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.