[PbP Gameday XII] A Fistful of Flowers (Inactive)

Game Master Lady Ladile

Macros | Slides | RPG Chronicles


1 to 50 of 177 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>

Season of Ghosts

In A Fistful of Flowers, you take on the role of one of four unique leshys —plants who have been granted sapience and wills of their own. When new sproutlings are snatched out of the woods and taken away to civilization, it's up to your band of furious flowers and pugilistic plants to set things right!
______________

This game is part of the PbP Gameday XII convention and will begin September 4th.


Season of Ghosts

A Fistful of Flowers

Here and there in the wilds of the Verduran Forest, a seemingly normal plant suddenly reveals themself as a leshy, a curious little human-shaped plant crafted by a druid as a companion or minion. Sometimes, leshys outlive their druid creators, while many others are set free to live their own lives. Most of those who live in the Verduran Forest today have stories along these lines, yet recently the forest’s clusters of leshys have seemed thinner and fewer. You are but four of these stories. It’s hardly unusual for the leshys of Verduran to come and go as they please, but this morning it has become impossible to ignore the fact that your numbers have dwindled significantly. Many of those who remain grow fearful, and as the larger and more powerful leshys in the area, it’s your duty to protect the smaller spirits. It’s time to admit something is wrong. It's time to investigate.
______________

Optional Opening Music


Season of Ghosts

As some of the more experienced leshys currently living in the forest, the four of you have gathered at Popcorn's makeshift woodland kitchen on this lovely spring morning. On the agenda: discussion about the strange dwindling of leshy numbers in the forest and trying to figure out what to do about it.

You've barely had time to get settled when the nearby bushes rustle as yet another leshy steps out. This one is smaller in stature than any of you, face framed by ruffled petals of red and gold - a marigold leshy by the name of Sunbright. She seems on the verge of tears as she looks at the four of you, particularly Fluff Fang.

"Fluff Faaaang...Summer Shade and Willow Shade went down to the river to play this morning and haven't come back yet," Sunbright snuffles, wiping at her eyes. "I'm too afraid to go looking for them because what if I don't come back either? What if they got eaten by a rabbit or a goat or a vegetarian?? Maybe that's what happened to all the others!" She looks around at the four of you, her expression pleading. "Will you go look for them? Pleasepleaseplease??? That's what you're here talking about, right? I bet Popcorn could scare off a vegetarian easy-peasy!"


Bottlespeaker | NG Leshy Druid | HP 38 | AC 19 (21 with shield raised) | Fort +9 Ref +6 Will +11 | Perception +11 | Low-light vision | Speed: 30 ft

A gourd leshy named Bottlespeaker frowns, hollow furrows appearing on his brow. "I told them not to wander too far off yesterday. I can't protect everyone when they're too far away from the clearing."

"Some people want to explore! You can't watch over them all the time," rings out from inside his head. From the top, a pink bulb of garlic appears, with two pink pigtails. She climbs down from Bottlespeaker's head and jumps on the table. She extends a stubby extremity towards Sunbright.

"Hi! My name is Twinsprout! I'm sure Bottlespeaker will go find them. He's always going on about 'protecting everyone' and 'making sure no one comes to harm.' He's a bit overbearing at times, but he means well."

"See, you might call it overbearing, but I'd like to call it 'keeping our community safe.' There's few of us as there is, I don't want to see us get swallowed by the big forest."

Despite his stern words, he grabs a small pillow from inside his head, picks up Twinsprout, and plops her on it. She settles down and nuzzles Bottlespeaker's hand.


CN F Vine Leshy HP 53 | AC 20 (-1 Rage) | F +9 [E] R +6 [T] W +8 [E] | Perc +8 | Speed 25 ft | Hero Points: 1 | Active Conditions: None

Popcorn grumps, a scowl on her bright-pink flower face. "You bet I could scare off a vegetarian," she declares, shaking the scorched stick she uses to stir her smoky experiments at the sky. "Just point me at 'em! Where'd you see this goat!?" The air grows warmer around her, and the stick gets a little bit more scorched.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
”Reaching Rings” | NG Small Leshy Rogue 3 | HP 38/38 | AC 20 | F +7 R +11 W +9 (+1 vs emotion) | Perc +9 (Darkvision) | Default Exploration (????) | Speed 25ft | Active Conditions: None

The fungus among us pipes up. "We have to go after them! Who knows what kind of corruption might be out there! Or even worse, bunnies!" Reaching Rings gasps at the thought of dreadful bunnies.


Fluff Fang bends down and tries to comfort Sunbright. "We'll do what we can, OK?"


Season of Ghosts

"Oh! H-hi, Twinsprout! You're Bottlespeaker's friend? It's nice to meet you," Sunbright smiles in spite of her worry and carefully shakes the tiny garlic bulb's offered extremity. "Bottlespeaker's like, um, like a big brother to everyone and it's really nice!"

As Popcorn, Reaching Rings, and Fluff Fang all agree that they're ready and eager to help as well, Sunbright looks relieved. "Thank you! Thank you so much! If anyone can find them, it'll be you guys! The Shades said they were going down to the river, where the rope bridge is. That's the last I've seen or heard from them."

Everyone is familiar with the rope bridge that Sunbright speaks of. In fact, Popcorn is the one who built it and all of the forest leshys know the story. In her youth, Popcorn found herself at a loss when the sprites she enjoyed playing with flew across the water with ease and taunted her from the far side. Though there was little she could do that day other than fume in rage, Popcorn returned the next morning and used vines and fallen branches to build a leshy-sized rope bridge strung between a pair of trees on opposite banks. In the years since, many local leshys have learned of the rope bridge and come to appreciate its convenience, and particularly enjoyed using the bridge as a sort of swing to sit on and sway back and forth over the river.

The marigold leshy glances over at the cooking pot that Popcorn often conducts her experiments in and then to the snapdragon leshy, shyly shuffling her leaved feet. "Um...I can stay here and watch your stuff, if you want," she offers. "I'll make sure nothing catches on fire and I can even stir the pot or add whatever you need me to, while you're gone!"


Fluff Fang looks at the others, making sure they are ready to go.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
”Reaching Rings” | NG Small Leshy Rogue 3 | HP 38/38 | AC 20 | F +7 R +11 W +9 (+1 vs emotion) | Perc +9 (Darkvision) | Default Exploration (????) | Speed 25ft | Active Conditions: None

Reaching Rings draws its rapier and thrusts it into the air. "To the rope bridge! No bunnies shall take a leshy today!"

He glances back at Sunbright and Popcorn. "Can she make it not so spicy this time? And more of a rotted taste, maybe with some mushrooms?"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Bottlespeaker | NG Leshy Druid | HP 38 | AC 19 (21 with shield raised) | Fort +9 Ref +6 Will +11 | Perception +11 | Low-light vision | Speed: 30 ft

"No, Bottlespeaker gave me a body. I was a lost little spirit, but he found me and he made this body for me!"

Twinsprout does a little twirl and shows herself off.

"Bottle is like a big brother to me too, but even bigger, and um... More brotherly!" She looks at Bottlespeaker with pride, and Bottlespeaker blushes.

Bottlespeaker yelps as Reaching Rings says the B-word, and rushes to cover Twinsprout's ears ("Hey, I wanna hear-"). "I've seen many a friend slain by the vicious bunny. Bloodthirst in its eyes, and nasty, big, pointy teeth. You have my word that I will do my best to protect you on this journey."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
CN F Vine Leshy HP 53 | AC 20 (-1 Rage) | F +9 [E] R +6 [T] W +8 [E] | Perc +8 | Speed 25 ft | Hero Points: 1 | Active Conditions: None

Popcornsays nothing in response to Reaching Rings's display of their lack of taste in food, but she nods approvingly to Sunbright and bends down to give the tiny leshy a stirring stick that is much to large for them. "You do that - and if any bunnies show up here, you take that and stick 'em somewhere painful! Got it?"

With that taken care of, Popcorn proudly leads the way to the bridge.


Season of Ghosts

"O-okay! I'll do it! Good luck and be careful!"

It takes Sunbright two hands to heft the stirring stick over her head but she looks quite determined. Hopefully everything will still be in one piece when you return.
______________

You follow a well-worn trail from Popcorn's glade down to the nearby river. As you walk along you wonder if maybe Sunbright might have been overreacting, for all seems as it usually is - the sun shines brightly through the treetops overhead and the forest is alive with the chirping of birds, the chittering of squirrels and chipmunks, and the humming of insects. Perhaps the two missing leshys simply lost track of time? But as you approach the river, you hear no sounds of leshys at play - only the sound of the flowing waters.

The trees overhead open up and the trail comes to an end at the gravely bank of a river, which flows along at a swift pace. Tied to a nearby tree are the remnants of what look like vines and you can see similar vines hanging from another tree on the far shore.

It doesn't look like there's anyone else here but the four of you.

Strange Vines - Nature *or* Crafting (DC 16) *or* Perception (DC 18):

The ends of the vines are clean and smooth rather than jagged and torn, which means they didn't snap but were deliberately cut.

Riverbank (DC 16 Perception):

You notice a scattering of tiny purple petals among the gravel here.

If you succeed at a DC 10 Nature check, open the spoiler below.

Spoiler:

These are lavender flowers.

If you get a Critical Success on the above Nature check, you may also open the spoiler below.

Spoiler:

You'd recognize this specific purple hue anywhere - these petals are definitely from Summer Shade and Willow Shade.


”Reaching Rings” | NG Small Leshy Rogue 3 | HP 38/38 | AC 20 | F +7 R +11 W +9 (+1 vs emotion) | Perc +9 (Darkvision) | Default Exploration (????) | Speed 25ft | Active Conditions: None

Nature: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14
Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27
Nature: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19

Rings shuffles around the bank, looking back and forth. "Popcorn, isn't the bridge supposed to be here?"

The fungus looks down on the bank. "Hey look at these pretty lavender petals." It holds one up for the others to see.


CN F Vine Leshy HP 53 | AC 20 (-1 Rage) | F +9 [E] R +6 [T] W +8 [E] | Perc +8 | Speed 25 ft | Hero Points: 1 | Active Conditions: None

Crafting vs DC 16: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13

"Of course it's supposed to be here! You think I don't know the way to my own bridge?" Popcorn sits down in a huff on the riverbank and crosses her arms. She glares at the vines as if they had personally decided to offend her by untying themselves, pausing only to glare at the petal Reaching Rings shoves in her face.


Season of Ghosts

GM Screen:

FF Perc: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13
BS Perc: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (1) + 11 = 12

FF Perc: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27
BS Perc: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (20) + 11 = 31
BS Nature: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21

Bottlespeaker and Fluff Fang also crowd around to examine the petals on the riverbank and both agree that these are definitely lavender petals that Rings found. Bottlespeaker's expression darkens. "I'd recognize that distinct color of purple anywhere. These petals most certainly belong to the two Shades. They made it this far, just like Sunbright said."

With that discovery in mind, it's time to consider your next move. While everyone, especially Popcorn, is certain that the swinging bridge is supposed to be here, it isn't now - it lies in tatters on both sides of the river. 'Why' is uncertain, but what isn't uncertain is that you need to find a way to get across. It's too bad you aren't bigger, otherwise you could probably just wade through it. The river looks like it's flowing at a fairly good pace but not so fast that a particularly strong and hardy leshy couldn't swim their way across. On the other hand, you have everything you need right here so maybe it would be safer to just try repairing the bridge. Or perhaps there are other possible ways to tackle the situation!
______________

If you want to try and swim across, make a Swim check. Provided you can reach the overhanging vines and branches on the far side (some of you have the means to do so), you can try to repair the bridge with a Crafting check. Or you can try something else completely to repair the bridge or otherwise get across the river - I'll usually entertain alternative solutions to things, especially if they're backed up with sound reasoning and/or good RP :)


Bottlespeaker | NG Leshy Druid | HP 38 | AC 19 (21 with shield raised) | Fort +9 Ref +6 Will +11 | Perception +11 | Low-light vision | Speed: 30 ft

Argh, sorry, got some kind of flu and have been sleeping a lot. No real energy for PbP.

Bottlespeaker lets out a kid-friendly curse as he sees the bridge. "Oh buckets, that can't be good. Bunnies wouldn't chew through a bridge like that. They're crafty, I give you that, but this is deliberate sabotage."

He looks at the remains of the ropes and the bridge down below. He seems to be in thought, slowly sizing up the distance between this riverbank and the other side.

"Repairing the bridge would be the safest option, but I don't know if we have enough time for that. What do you think?"

Question for the GM:
I have a scroll of Enlarge, which lasts 5 minutes. Am I then big enough and is that long enough to carry everyone safely across? Maybe in several trips, if necessary?


Fluff Fang cheers on the others, as expected for a bard.


CN F Vine Leshy HP 53 | AC 20 (-1 Rage) | F +9 [E] R +6 [T] W +8 [E] | Perc +8 | Speed 25 ft | Hero Points: 1 | Active Conditions: None

"Well I did it once - I can do it again!" Popcorn pries herself off the riverbank before she starts putting down roots and gets to work.

If Grasping Reach would work here:
The leshy grunts, and her arms stretch longer and longer until they can snatch clumsily at the vines hanging overhead.

If it doesn't:
With a fierce yell, the leshy plunges into the chilly water! "I'll... get... 'em... bring... back..."

Athletics to Swim: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20
Athletics to Swim Back?: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12

Once the vines are in hand (one way or another), Popcorn gets to work.

Crafting: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16


”Reaching Rings” | NG Small Leshy Rogue 3 | HP 38/38 | AC 20 | F +7 R +11 W +9 (+1 vs emotion) | Perc +9 (Darkvision) | Default Exploration (????) | Speed 25ft | Active Conditions: None

Rings tries to grab the vines as Popcorn pulls them down and tries to help retie the bridge too.

Crafting: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19


Season of Ghosts

Bottlespeaker:

Yes, that would work but luckily Popcorn's Grasping Reach also works - and is something she can do at will - so you can save your scroll for now :)

Though Bottlespeaker contemplates using his scroll to get swole to help reach the bridge remnants, Popcorn's got it all under control. Her arms stretch and elongate, giving her an extended reach with her flail. She's able to grasp the vines hanging overhead and pull them down within easier reach for herself and everyone else. While she struggles a little bit trying to recreate her original handiwork, Reaching Rings steps in to save the day and is able to help get the bridge repaired at last. Barring anyone cutting the vines or other such shenanigans, it should hold up well against the elements.

GM Screen:

RR Perc: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27
PC Perc: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10
BS Perc: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (1) + 11 = 12
FF Perc: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13

Ready to carry on, you cross over the bridge, perhaps enjoying the rather pleasant but-not-too-extreme sway it has to it as you go. Once you reach the far side, which is rather muddy along the bank, you look around for any sign of where the Shades might have gone but nothing stands out. However, Reaching Rings notices the footprints of what looks to be a bipedal creature of medium size. Based on the direction of the tracks, it looks like they came out of the river and went up the embankment into the forest. The other notable thing about the tracks is that whatever made them was wearing shoes...
______________

Survival to follow the tracks~


no help from Fluff Fang...


1 person marked this as a favorite.
”Reaching Rings” | NG Small Leshy Rogue 3 | HP 38/38 | AC 20 | F +7 R +11 W +9 (+1 vs emotion) | Perc +9 (Darkvision) | Default Exploration (????) | Speed 25ft | Active Conditions: None

Survival: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18

Rings kneels down to examine the prints. Hunched over like that, he just resembles a lump of moss, but then he straightens again. "Whoever this was was wearing shoes. So it's ain't no leshy or even bunny. Unless it's one of those were-bunnies." He shivers. "But odds are it's a big-un, like an elf or somethin'."


Season of Ghosts

GM Screen:

1d20 + 11 ⇒ (4) + 11 = 15

Reaching Rings considers the tracks and finds himself certain that they belong to someone that's probably an elf or human or the like. It's initially a bit of work but he's able to keep focused on the trail and follow it.

After about an hour of trekking through the forest following tracks and talking about the dangers of were-bunnies, you emerge into a small clearing. It looks as though it's recently served as a campsite, judging by the divots in the earth that match up with a tent having been pitched and the presence of a small campfire, now cold. Near the campfire you spot what looks like some half-burned candles as well as the leftovers of a mostly-eaten meal of trail rations.

Something else everyone spots is a local pixie named Glimmer sitting up among the branches of one of the nearby trees, trying and failing to be sneaky...


”Reaching Rings” | NG Small Leshy Rogue 3 | HP 38/38 | AC 20 | F +7 R +11 W +9 (+1 vs emotion) | Perc +9 (Darkvision) | Default Exploration (????) | Speed 25ft | Active Conditions: None

Rings gives a short whistle as they find the clearing with the campsite. "Can you image that someone would just set up things here? Spoiling the whole look of the place! And they left candles out too!"

The fungus looks up and spots Glimmer. "I see you, little pixie! Whatcha doing up there, doll?"


Season of Ghosts

"Oh drat, I was hoping to get the drop on you guys," Glimmer calls back with a giggle and friendly wave of her hand. "Hi Rings! Hi Popcorn! Hi Fluffy! Hi Bottlespeaker! I was just taking a nap up here because it's a great spot for one. What are you four up to today?"
______________

Optional Music


Bottlespeaker | NG Leshy Druid | HP 38 | AC 19 (21 with shield raised) | Fort +9 Ref +6 Will +11 | Perception +11 | Low-light vision | Speed: 30 ft

Ergh, weird week for me. Sorry for bad attendance lately, I'll try to be better.

Bottlespeaker puffs out his chest and says, "Lots of our friends have gone missing lately, and we're wondering what happened to them. Have you seen who set up camp here?"

Twinsprout pops up out of Bottlespeaker's head. "Yeah, we're gonna kick their behind and force them to give our friends back!" Twinsprout punches the air a few times in demonstration.

"Unless it's a bunny of course. In that case we're gonna ask real nice."


”Reaching Rings” | NG Small Leshy Rogue 3 | HP 38/38 | AC 20 | F +7 R +11 W +9 (+1 vs emotion) | Perc +9 (Darkvision) | Default Exploration (????) | Speed 25ft | Active Conditions: None

"Glimmer, it's Summer and Willow. We think something happened to them, and maybe these big-uns has something to do with it." Rings chimes in, his mossy voice like dry brush. He brandishes his rapier in a show of force.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
CN F Vine Leshy HP 53 | AC 20 (-1 Rage) | F +9 [E] R +6 [T] W +8 [E] | Perc +8 | Speed 25 ft | Hero Points: 1 | Active Conditions: None

Popcorn crosses her arms and refuses to even look at Glimmer - at least directly. "This better not be one of your stupid fairy tricks!" she yells.


Season of Ghosts

As Bottlespeaker and Rings explain what's going on, Glimmer's eyes grow wide. "So that’s what that fella was on about!" she exclaims. "I was out gathering seeds earlier this morning and that's how I found this camp, right? Except when I did, there was this big ugly human here. Red hair like a tumbleweed and dressed in green and yellow. Let me tell you, it didn't suit him at all. His boots were all gross and muddy and he had really shiny teeth, too!"

Glimmer's speech grows more rapid and her expressions more animated. "So this guy's here and he's yelling at this sack on the ground that looks like it's moving. Says something about being quiet or he'll throw more than their toys into the fire! Rude! But the sack quit moving after that and this guy plopped his butt down there by the fire and started stuffing his face. I hid on my branch up there and watched him for a bit but nothing else happened and he was sooooo sloooow about eating and so I got bored and must've drifted off to sleep. That happens sometimes when I get really bored, you know? Anyway, next thing I know I hear you guys down here talking and here we are!"

There's a slight pause and then she adds, with a pouty look at Popcorn, "And that's the truth! I wouldn't lie about something like that. I like you leshys, you know? You're so fun to tease...but I don't want to see anyone get hurt or anything!"


”Reaching Rings” | NG Small Leshy Rogue 3 | HP 38/38 | AC 20 | F +7 R +11 W +9 (+1 vs emotion) | Perc +9 (Darkvision) | Default Exploration (????) | Speed 25ft | Active Conditions: None

"It musta been Summer and Willow in that sack! Why would a big-un take them? He took away their toys and then hurt them, and took them away?" Rings makes a growling noise like crumpled leaves. "We got to find him."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Bottlespeaker | NG Leshy Druid | HP 38 | AC 19 (21 with shield raised) | Fort +9 Ref +6 Will +11 | Perception +11 | Low-light vision | Speed: 30 ft

Bottle breathes a sigh of relief that there are no bunnies involved.

"Yes, I agree. If he's behind all the disappearances, he's got a lot to answer for."

He nods to Glimmer. "Thank you for the information. And uh... Please keep the teasing to a minimum, all right? I'm getting tired of leshies knocking at my door in the middle of the night because they hear scary sounds. Most of the times it's just you, but I'd like to have a full night's sleep for once."

"Yeah, look at poor Bottle's gourd. It's all pale and withered thanks to you," Twinsprout pipes up.


Fluff Fang nods in thanks for the information.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
CN F Vine Leshy HP 53 | AC 20 (-1 Rage) | F +9 [E] R +6 [T] W +8 [E] | Perc +8 | Speed 25 ft | Hero Points: 1 | Active Conditions: None

Popcorn continues actively not looking at Glimmer, instead opting to thoroughly scour the ground for any footprints or tracks. "He probably looked better than you," she mutters just loud enough to be heard by the fairy in the tree.

Survival to Track: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15


Season of Ghosts

GM Screen:

RR Perc: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (8) + 9 = 17
PC Perc: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17
BS Perc: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (2) + 11 = 13
FF Perc: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9

"I don't know, but I'm sure it wasn't for anything good," Glimmer sighs. "I hope you can find the Shades before something worse happens. I always liked those two, they have good senses of humor...unlike some leshys I know." The pixie makes an exaggerated coughing sound as she glances at Popcorn. "But anyway, sorry I couldn't do more to help besides a little spying. Just didn't like the odds of one Glimmer versus that big ugly mug, you know? Oh, and, um, I'm sorry for scaring the young ones," Glimmer adds, awkwardly shifting from side to side up in the tree. "I'll try to think up less-scary pranks to pull in the future!"

As you all speak with Glimmer, you do take a few moments to examine the campsite as well. For the most part, there doesn't seem to be much here aside from half-burned candles that smell of jasmine and the mostly-eaten remnants of a meal of trail rations. However, Rings and Popcorn are quick to spot a scattering of shiny shells, smooth stones, and mostly burnt feathers among the campfire’s now cold coals. Everyone automatically recognizes these as “lucky charms” often carried by the smaller leshys in the region. These clues at least corroborate what Glimmer has already shared with you. Popcorn also has little trouble picking up the trail of footprints once more, which lead away from the camp in a different direction than the one you arrived from.


”Reaching Rings” | NG Small Leshy Rogue 3 | HP 38/38 | AC 20 | F +7 R +11 W +9 (+1 vs emotion) | Perc +9 (Darkvision) | Default Exploration (????) | Speed 25ft | Active Conditions: None

"You did good, Glimmer. Thanks for letting us know." Rings collects the remains of the missing leshys' toys from the cold campfire.

"Come on. Let's go find this troublemaking human." They start to follow the tracks that Popcorn has found.


Fluff Fang follows the tracks also.


Season of Ghosts

"You're welcome!" Glimmer calls back. As you all turn and begin to make your way out of the campsite and after the trail, the pixie suddenly exclaims, "Oh! Almost forgot! Popcorn, catch!"

The pixie winds up and tosses a small satchel down from the tree she's perched in and in Popcorn's general direction. You all know Glimmer and pixies in general enough to know that under other circumstances she'd have likely tossed it directly at Popcorn's head for a laugh but in light of what's going on she's actually showing a surprising amount of restraint.

"The seeds in that bag are just your type! Cook ‘em up and munch ‘em and you’ll toughen up for a bit!"

If anyone peers into the satchel, they find four large, blue seeds shaped like teardrops. "You like?" Glimmer asks excitedly. "I found 'em and just knew they'd be right up your path! You gotta cook 'em though, they're really bitter if you just eat them raw. Don't ask me how I know!"

After looking at the seeds for a moment, Popcorn is certain that it wouldn't be difficult to cook them up like the pixie suggests, though it'll definitely take some time unless one has the skill to expedite the process.
______________

No checks needed to just cook the seeds, but a Crafting check might allow you to do it more quickly and save some time. Once cooked, each seed will function as a Barkskin potion. Another post to follow as well, please stand by~


Season of Ghosts

Whether you opt to take the time to cook the seeds now or wait until later, you soon turn your attention back to the trail of the mysterious man and continue following it. After about an hour or so of this, you and the trail come to the southern edge of the Verduran Forest. Here, the trees give way to fields of crops and wildflowers, and a small village — Petalbrook — can be seen just a bit further on. The trail looks to continue towards the nearby road that leads into Petalbrook.

GM Screen:

RR Perc: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25
PC Perc: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12
BS Perc: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (2) + 11 = 13
FF Perc: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15

As you take a moment to catch your breath, Reaching Rings notices a herd of deer that appear to have been taking a rest in the shade of the trees at the forest's edge. They also realize that the deer have noticed the group and are now heading your way...


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Bottlespeaker | NG Leshy Druid | HP 38 | AC 19 (21 with shield raised) | Fort +9 Ref +6 Will +11 | Perception +11 | Low-light vision | Speed: 30 ft

Bottlespeaker waves goodbye to Glimmer, but sighs when she's out of sight.

"Hey Popcorn, why are you so mean to Glimmer? Yeah, she's annoying sometimes, but she's harmless. And look, she gave us these things."

"Ooohh, did you two used to date?" Twinsprout pops up out of Bottle's head and leans towards Popcorn with interest.

Regardless of the answer, Twinsprout makes smooching noises from inside Bottlespeaker's head the rest of the journey until told to shut up.

---

When Petalbrook pops into view, Bottlespeaker hesitates. "This is clearly where the man lives. What if everyone there hates leshies? Should we disguise ourselves?"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
”Reaching Rings” | NG Small Leshy Rogue 3 | HP 38/38 | AC 20 | F +7 R +11 W +9 (+1 vs emotion) | Perc +9 (Darkvision) | Default Exploration (????) | Speed 25ft | Active Conditions: None

Rings laughs at the prospect of Popcorn and Glimmer dating, though perhaps they had exchanged some meaningful looks. The fungus' laugh comes out in several huffs.

As they near Petalbrook, Rings points off near the trees. "Look out! Deer!" He tries to go hide among some nearby rocks, and hope they lichen him to a less tasty treat.

Stealth: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (5) + 11 = 16


CN F Vine Leshy HP 53 | AC 20 (-1 Rage) | F +9 [E] R +6 [T] W +8 [E] | Perc +8 | Speed 25 ft | Hero Points: 1 | Active Conditions: None

Popcorn begrudgingly takes the seeds and, seeing an opportunity in the remains of the human's camp, puts them in the remnants of the campfire and starts getting redder and redder to heat them up.

Crafting: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14

Bottlespeaker wrote:
"Hey Popcorn, why are you so mean to Glimmer? Yeah, she's annoying sometimes, but she's harmless. And look, she gave us these things."

"She... and her friends... would throw... things at me..." Popcorn answers between puffs of hot air to heat up the seeds. "She... called me... names too." She looks up from her work and scowls at the gourd-faced leshy. "Does that sound like fun to you? Should I start calling you names and throwing things at your head? Huh? Didn't think so." She gets back to work, ignoring Twinsprout's speculations.

---------------------------------------------------

"Deer? I'll give 'em something to snack on!" Popcorn shakes her seed-flail at the oncoming herbivores. "Come and get some!"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Bottlespeaker | NG Leshy Druid | HP 38 | AC 19 (21 with shield raised) | Fort +9 Ref +6 Will +11 | Perception +11 | Low-light vision | Speed: 30 ft

Bottlespeaker grows silent and tries to sush Twinsprout. "Sorry I asked, I didn't mean it like that. She's definitely not harmless, I take that back. Twin, stop making kissy noises."

He shakes his head left and right, knocking Twinsprout within in all directions.


Fluff Fang tries to calm Popcorn a little. Maybe it would be better to try to avoid fighting the great big deer. They are a part of nature, after all.


Season of Ghosts

Slightly Earlier

Popcorn decides to go ahead and cook the seeds while there's a good place to do so, though she's clearly not in the mood for much conversation. For her part, Glimmer seems to pretend like she doesn't hear Popcorn's grumbling...though she does make a face when Twinsprout suggests that the animosity might be romantic in nature.

"Noooo, that's weird! Like, we just like to play pranks and have fun," Glimmer exclaims. "Why is loOoOOOoove the first thing anyone thinks of when there's tension between two people? It's soooo overdone in stories, you know?"

Whatever the case, the questioning from Bottlespeaker and Twinsprout, as well as Glimmer's presence, don't help Popcorn's concentration. It takes her considerable effort to get the seeds cooked without burning them, which takes more time than she would've liked.
______________

Present

Rings calls out a warning just as a herd of deer do indeed emerge from the edge of the forest. While Rings attempts to hide behind some nearby rocks, Fluff Fang and Bottlespeaker watch cautiously while Popcorn gives her seed-flail a menacing shake.

GM Screen:

Deer Init: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (16) + 20 = 36
BS Init: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (7) + 11 = 18
FF Init: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19
P Init: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12
RR Init: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (17) + 9 = 26

Alphabetical Order: 1d4 ⇒ 2
Nibble vs. FF: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (12) + 12 = 24
Damage: 2d4 + 5 ⇒ (3, 3) + 5 = 11

One of the deer breaks off from the herd and approaches Fluff Fang, eager to enjoy a leshy snack. It nibbles at the dandelion leshy, doing them a fair bit of damage!

Fluff Fang takes 11 bludgeoning damage.

You can try to convince the deer that leshys aren't for eating with a Diplomacy (Wild Empathy) check or attempt to scare them away with an Intimidation check. You can also straight up fight back or use all of your actions to Stride and avoid being nibbled.
______________

Round 1

Hungry Deer
==============
Reaching Rings
Fluff Fang (-11)
Bottlespeaker
Popcorn

Active Conditions:

Environmental Conditions:

Everyone may act!

Forest’s Edge


CN F Vine Leshy HP 53 | AC 20 (-1 Rage) | F +9 [E] R +6 [T] W +8 [E] | Perc +8 | Speed 25 ft | Hero Points: 1 | Active Conditions: None

"Get outta here!" Popcorn yells, shaking her flail menacingly at the herbivores.

Intimidation to Scare Away: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20


”Reaching Rings” | NG Small Leshy Rogue 3 | HP 38/38 | AC 20 | F +7 R +11 W +9 (+1 vs emotion) | Perc +9 (Darkvision) | Default Exploration (????) | Speed 25ft | Active Conditions: None

A sack flies out from behind the rock towards the deer. It splatters when it lands and the smell of rotten fruit fills the air.

Ranged Attack (range): 1d20 + 9 - 2 ⇒ (4) + 9 - 2 = 11
Bludgeoning Damage: 1d4 ⇒ 4


Season of Ghosts

Rings, still huddled behind a nearby rock, flings a sack of rotten fruit at the deer. Unfortunately it lands a little short, splattering its gross, smelly contents across the ground. Popcorn's approach works better as she draws herself up to her full height and bellows a warning at the creatures, shaking her flail furiously all the while. And it works! Between that and having stuff thrown at them, the deer quickly realize that this meal is going to be more trouble than it's worth and scatter back into the forest.

Encounter Over!

Having avoided becoming lunch for the local fauna, you press on down the well-worn path towards the village of Petalbrook. The warm sun continues to shine down and a light breeze rustles through the nearby fields of wheat. Large patches of wildflowers add lovely splashes of color to the view and even at a distance you can see some of Petalbrook's citizens out tending to their beehives. Nestled between all of these fields and so close to the Verduran Forest, Petalbrook wants for little in the way of food or supplies and the village looks to be both prosperous and happy.

A little uncertain about the sort of reception you might get in the village, you try your best to keep to the edge of the road where the grass and weeds grow tall but as you draw nearer you realize that you'll have to leave the relative safety of the tall grass and openly approach should you wish to enter Petalbrook. From your vantage point you can see the village's citizens going about their daily business, popping in and out of the local shops, working in their small gardens, and hanging the wash out to dry while the children play. As far as you can tell, nothing seems amiss here.


”Reaching Rings” | NG Small Leshy Rogue 3 | HP 38/38 | AC 20 | F +7 R +11 W +9 (+1 vs emotion) | Perc +9 (Darkvision) | Default Exploration (????) | Speed 25ft | Active Conditions: None

Do we have any idea of how humans, especially those in Petalbrook, feel about leshies?

Reaching Rings grumbles as he sees the prosperous little village. "Seems peaceful, but someone in there has our friends. And big-uns don't really think much about hurting plants, usually."

"Still, maybe we can find someone who has seen them?"


Fluff Fang shakes herself, not happy about being nibbled.

Then she follows the others.

1 to 50 of 177 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / [PbP Gameday XII] A Fistful of Flowers All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.