The Dire GM's [SFS] #3-03: Frozen Ambitions: The Shimmerstone Gateway (PaizoCon Online 2021) (Inactive)

Game Master CanisDirus

SFS PbP - Frozen Ambitions: The Shimmerstone Gateway (Tier 1-4)

GM Notes:
Perception
[dice=Blastoff]1d20 + 8[/dice
[dice=Grimace]1d20 + 0[/dice
[dice=Hanmi]1d20 + 0[/dice
[dice=Jewel]1d20 + 9[/dice
[dice=Santos]1d20 + 3[/dice
[dice=Valamir]1d20 + 7[/dice
[dice=NPC]1d20+0[/dice

Initiative
[dice=Blastoff]1d20 + 6[/dice
[dice=Grimace]1d20 + 5[/dice
[dice=Hanmi]1d20 + 2[/dice
[dice=Jewel]1d20 + 9[/dice
[dice=Santos]1d20 + 7[/dice
[dice=Valamir]1d20 + 2[/dice
[dice=NPC]1d20+0[/dice

Shimmerstone Gateway (SFS) Maps & Handouts


1 to 50 of 205 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Wayfinders

| Dustbound Scenery & Maps D19 | Table 2 Scenery & Maps | | Table 3 Maps & Handouts | ◆ | ◆◆ | ◆◆◆ | ◇ | ↺ | Lucid Dreaming Handout

This is the gameplay thread for #3-03: Frozen Ambitions: The Shimmerstone Gateway (Tier 1-4) as part of PaizoCon Online 2021. Feel free to "dot and delete" if you are part of the game, and look for us to begin in the evening of May 31st, 2021!

Register for this table here!

Wayfinders

| Dustbound Scenery & Maps D19 | Table 2 Scenery & Maps | | Table 3 Maps & Handouts | ◆ | ◆◆ | ◆◆◆ | ◇ | ↺ | Lucid Dreaming Handout

A buzz from your personal comm units heralds an alert about a new Starfinder mission that has just come in. And this time, you have been requested for it by the First Seeker himself!

On your way to the Lorespire Complex, you receive an updated duty roster for the mission at hand, and start heading to the meeting room along with your fellow Starfinder agents.

-----
On account of how busy things have been running the "live" portion of PaizoCon Online, I am probably going to need to take ~24 hours "off" once things wrap up on Monday night. As such, I'd like to get you all started with character introductions and so on. Feel free to roleplay as much as you'd like, and thank you for your patience! :)

Also, if you have not yet done so, please check-in on the Discussion thread. Thanks!
-----

Wayfinders

| Dustbound Scenery & Maps D19 | Table 2 Scenery & Maps | | Table 3 Maps & Handouts | ◆ | ◆◆ | ◆◆◆ | ◇ | ↺ | Lucid Dreaming Handout

Okay, post-PaizoCon rest mostly fulfilled, although the weekend took a bit more out of me than I thought it would. Your briefing will begin the next time I'm sitting at my computer. In the meantime, here's a preview of how I like to use visuals and music (soundtrack listing will be posted at the end of the game) in my play-by-post games when not utilizing a map.

Track 1: Pre-Game Music

We begin on board Absalom Station, where you await your briefing, and can introduce yourselves to each other before the arrival of the First Seeker.

Once intros start, I will take that as you all being ready to begin :)

Acquisitives

Male Lambent Vesk Solarian 1 /SP 0 HP 10 / RP 3/ EAC 15(16); KAC 15(16) / Fort +4; Ref +0; Will +2

You will take notice of a Vesk Starfinde. One with some of the most elaborate bone spikes about his body that you have ever seen. Of course he is headed to the same conference room on Absalom station you are. Clearly a "new guy" his gear and weapons seem practically new. However, the look of determination and the fierce countenance he has, there is no mistaking his seriousness.

"Hey. You can call me Grimace, or Captain. Whatever you prefer. I am a Starfinder. Newly arrived. I just finished all my check in assignment. I still have not found a proper place to eat on this station. I am starved"

A tall Vesk will say laughingly, looking down at you.

Wayfinders

Morlamaw EAC: 14 KAC: 15 sp 14, hp 16, rp 4 Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +2 ! Mechanic 3

When the door opens a small drone steps in. Two protruding fins on the front break up what would flat circle. It walks on two metallic legs into into the center of the room. It scans everyone in the room, then walks to and then up the wall.

Before the door can close again a smiling marlowmaw enters the room. His bright purple and yellow skin is mostly hidden under his flight suit which bears manyockets, tools, clips, tubes, armor plates and other such gear. The heavy voice, sometimes felt in the chest of listeners like the percussion section of a marching band, rumbles into the room as he introduces himself with a laugh. "Hello Starfinders," he laughs. "HOOHOOHO. I am Hanmi Booki. That is manta, my aid.". The towering mechanic rolls his shoulder as if to cross the table, before realizing the two-dimension limit to movement here. He shrugs it off before undulating slowly to a seat.
"Grimace. Captain. Pleasure to meet you. HOOHOO HO."

Wayfinders

He/Him/His Ysoki Mystic (Star Shaman) 1 | EAC 13 KAC 14 | HP 8/8 Stamina 6/6 | F 0 R +2 W +6 | Init +6 Perc +8

Blastoff takes his gaze off the huge Vesk, easily twice his height, to look over at the tusked newcomer to the room. The Ysoki doesn't seem overly concerned about much of anything, really. His suit is patched in several places and an observer would be pretty certain it couldn't seal. At his waist next to the obligatory pistol, the little rat man had affixed a drum barely the size of his palm.

Looking between the two much larger creatures and the mechanical, Blastoff pulls out a cylindrical shape of plant matter as big as his snout, puts it in his mouth, and proceeds to light it, a burst of blue, acrid smoke followed by smoke spirals the rat man creates with his tongue.

"Well," squeaks the Ysoki, using his fingers to drum a quick tune on his tomtom, "I feel safer already." Another quick set of taps on the drum and the diminutive creature extends the rolled vegetable matter with the burning tip to the newcomers. "Toke?"

Hey all,
I plan to play Blastoff as somewhat into drugs. If this triggers/offends/irritates you, shoot me a private message or bounce one off the GM and I can tone it down or make it go away completely.

Wayfinders

He/Him Human Soldier 3 | E21/K22 | SP 24/24 HP 25/25 R 4/4 |F +4 R +4 W +3 | Init. +7 | Perc. +3

Hanmi Booki is followed shortly after by a heavily armoured human man, with a gait that suggests he’s used to more gravity than this station provides. He has a hunting rifle secured on his back and his helmet resting casually under his arm. His armour sports blast numerous blast marks, dents and a few sets of bites, all of which he wears with pride.

”Santos here,” he says in a deep voice, after everyone else makes their introductions. His eyes linger on the vesk, or rather, on his pristine gear. ”We’ll take the shine off that armour of yours soon enough, Captain,” he chuckles.

Wayfinders

Male Elf- 2398490-701 Witchwarper 1; EAC 13; KAC 14; SP 5; HP 9; RP 2; Fort +0; Ref +4; Will +1; Init +2; Perc +7

Shortly after Santos makes his introductions, a slight rippling effect can be seen on the floor originating from the door. And then, if out of nowhere, a slender, male elf in a black cloak enters the room.

He has bluish-grey skin and long white hair that is tied at the back of his head. He carries a battle axe on his back and on his hip, slightly concealed by his cloak, you can see a knife, laser pistol and grenades.

”My name is Valamir.“ The elf says in a calm, deep voice. ” I have come to help you on this mission. You have my allegiance.“

Dataphiles

| SP 28/28 | HP 28/28 | RP 5/5 | EAC 17 KAC 18 CMD 26 | Fort +2, Ref +7, Will +4; Evasion | Init +9 | Perception +9 (Darkvision 60ft) [/b] | Active Effects: None | Armor Environmental Seals: Inactive (5 days remaining) | Female Xenometric Android Strix (Starwalker) Operative (Hacker) 4

Sliding into the meeting behind Valamir, a metallic strix comes in, flittering her wings as if to test the air around her.

"I am called Jewel, short for Julinia Itaraak. I am your aerial support specialist, and pleased to... make acquittance your."

With that, she goes to stand in the corner, ready to take notes and muttering to herself, Acquaintance your? Must work on better formatting greetings in common.

Wayfinders

| Dustbound Scenery & Maps D19 | Table 2 Scenery & Maps | | Table 3 Maps & Handouts | ◆ | ◆◆ | ◆◆◆ | ◇ | ↺ | Lucid Dreaming Handout

A few minutes after you all assemble, First Seeker Ehu Hadif Ko’ra Amares of Clan Tolar, House Zye, tenth devotee from the line of Ahmu enters, walking to the end of the briefing room.

Soundtrack 2: Briefing

First Seeker Ehu Hadif stands behind his chair across the table. Two of his hands grip the backrest tightly as the other two fidget, indicating some anxiety or excitement before he begins to speak.

“Thank you for joining me. It’s a pleasure to be here before you. Today, I have a special request directly from a High Despot of the Veskarium.” Ehu Hadif pauses, gauging the reactions of his audience. He gestures to a projection that pops up of a heavily snow-capped planet. “Of the Veskarium system’s planets, Vesk‑8 is the furthest from their sun, and most would not consider it a glamorous outpost. Each of the Veskarium’s planets has an ultimate authority, called the High Despot. Jularaz the Frozen is the High Despot of Vesk-8 and is our client for this particular mission. It can’t be overstated what a unique opportunity this presents. Considering he has an entire planet under their control, we would not normally expect a High Despot to need resources such as the Society. But Jularaz seems keen on protecting the secrecy of the anomaly uncovered in his shimmerstone mines, and he doesn’t trust his own ranks to keep the information from the attention of outside Veskarium leadership.

“The High Despot has requested our assistance in investigating this anomaly. When we questioned him for specifics, Jularaz remained vague. I anticipate that this is partially to keep the information secure, but it also evidences exactly how little Jularaz currently understands about the anomaly. All we currently know is that it likely has something to do with the shimmerstone mined on Vesk-8. Such an unknown quantity requires a versatile group to investigate and research the phenomenon.

“We now have the opportunity to develop a relationship with Veskarium leadership using both the skills and discretion of our Starfinders. Although Jularaz may come across as ambitious and status-oriented, he is deeply engaged in the politics of Vesk Prime, and certainly not a meaningless ally to obtain.

“You will be meeting with the High Despot’s direct contact, Rahla.” The projection changes to the feline face of a pahtra. Black markings dot her beige fur, and a pink scar cuts diagonally over her amber eyes. “She is the High Despot’s eyes and ears in the mines, and she’ll lead you from the surface into the cavern where the anomaly has appeared. While you should always do your best as Starfinders, please be aware that you are all emissaries for the Society, and you will be responsible for establishing the nature of our relationship with the Veskarium.”

Ehu Hadif looks around the room at all of you. "Do you have any questions?"

Acquisitives

Male Lambent Vesk Solarian 1 /SP 0 HP 10 / RP 3/ EAC 15(16); KAC 15(16) / Fort +4; Ref +0; Will +2

"I am pleased that the Starfinders are so interested in fostering a positive relationship with the Veskarium. Tell me, what kind of relationship are we trying to foster? Knowing my people, there is likely plots among plots going on even on Vesk 8.'

Wayfinders

| Dustbound Scenery & Maps D19 | Table 2 Scenery & Maps | | Table 3 Maps & Handouts | ◆ | ◆◆ | ◆◆◆ | ◇ | ↺ | Lucid Dreaming Handout

Ehu Hadif nods to Grimace. "Let me first say how glad I am to see continued interest in the Starfinder Society by those hailing from the Veskarium.

"Jularaz the Frozen is mostly known for being the High Despot of Vesk-8, and for being there very little. He’s a bit of a social climber from what we know of him, and he collects information that benefits his own station as readily as slander that might hurt his opponents. He views his position on Vesk-8 to be an insult, as he greatly prefers the society of the system’s inner planets. I have no doubt that he hopes to use whatever he has found to leverage his position.

"Any positive relationship we can establish with a high-ranking member of the Veskarium government can only lead to better access for our agents in the future, and so you are to consider that when undertaking your mission."

He looks to the rest of you to see if there are any other questions.

Wayfinders

Morlamaw EAC: 14 KAC: 15 sp 14, hp 16, rp 4 Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +2 ! Mechanic 3

"This anomaly. Is it confined to a single cavern (complex) or are.there others in other areas?" The mechanic adjusts the sensors he shares with Manga before asking, "Is it mechanical in nature? Biological or physical maybe?"

Maybe a respectable pilot should know this, but Hanmi asks about the shimmer stone: what it is used for, what does it look like, how is it mined, how valuable it is, and maybe even the statistics of the operations there.

Wayfinders

He/Him Human Soldier 3 | E21/K22 | SP 24/24 HP 25/25 R 4/4 |F +4 R +4 W +3 | Init. +7 | Perc. +3

"Investigate the anomaly, and make friends with the despot. Got it." Santos shrugs, "Any intel on how to get into his good graces?"

Dataphiles

| SP 28/28 | HP 28/28 | RP 5/5 | EAC 17 KAC 18 CMD 26 | Fort +2, Ref +7, Will +4; Evasion | Init +9 | Perception +9 (Darkvision 60ft) [/b] | Active Effects: None | Armor Environmental Seals: Inactive (5 days remaining) | Female Xenometric Android Strix (Starwalker) Operative (Hacker) 4

"Do we have anything to offer in exchange for them working with us? You said he gathers intel... Is there any of this that we can present them with in helping us?"

Acquisitives

Male Lambent Vesk Solarian 1 /SP 0 HP 10 / RP 3/ EAC 15(16); KAC 15(16) / Fort +4; Ref +0; Will +2

"Han Mi Booki is it? I am sure you know that every thing created in this universe is the stuff of the Cosmos. Open you mind to the possibilities...." Grimace seems to be acting strangely......as he moves over to stand closer to Blastoff.


Blastoff looks up at the Vesk, eyes wide in surprise as if finding a new but promising pupil, before his natural cool reasserts itself. A long drag, a wave of a paw, and the smoke he blows takes on the shape of the Vesk system, each planet represented and correct in size and location. He coughs, contemplating the sight.

Is it a roll (say, mysticism) to know what shimmer stone is, or is it common knowledge or unknown? If Blastoff knows, he says:

Spoiler:

"Shimmer Stone is a mystical stone. Found only on Vesk 8, it reflects the very nature of the stars themselves in its substance. It has great power!" he finishes with a squeak of excitement.

Wayfinders

Male Elf- 2398490-701 Witchwarper 1; EAC 13; KAC 14; SP 5; HP 9; RP 2; Fort +0; Ref +4; Will +1; Init +2; Perc +7

Valamir just stands quietly in the back while he listens intently. His facial expressions show great interest in this anomaly.

Valamir would like to do a sense motive check to see if the First Seeker, Ehu Hadif, is holding back any information

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7

Wayfinders

| Dustbound Scenery & Maps D19 | Table 2 Scenery & Maps | | Table 3 Maps & Handouts | ◆ | ◆◆ | ◆◆◆ | ◇ | ↺ | Lucid Dreaming Handout
Han Mi Booki wrote:

"This anomaly. Is it confined to a single cavern (complex) or are.there others in other areas?" The mechanic adjusts the sensors he shares with Manga before asking, "Is it mechanical in nature? Biological or physical maybe?"

Maybe a respectable pilot should know this, but Hanmi asks about the shimmer stone: what it is used for, what does it look like, how is it mined, how valuable it is, and maybe even the statistics of the operations there.

“High Despot Jularaz’s complete consternation indicates it might be mystical in nature, as we also know that Vesk-8 isn’t particularly well-known for its technological innovations. We only know that it appeared on Vesk-8, and that the miners uncovered it in a shimmerstone mine after some extensive development of a new dig site. It must be exciting if it pulled Jularaz back from Vesk Prime.”

“As for the shimmerstone itself - is an extremely rare mineral found only on Vesk-8. It possesses some magical qualities, and the kothamas have used it to meditate much in the same way they contemplate the stars. The Vesk mine it particularly for military efforts, but the extent of its capabilities isn’t fully understood.”

Julinia "Jewel" Itaraak wrote:
"Do we have anything to offer in exchange for them working with us? You said he gathers intel... Is there any of this that we can present them with in helping us?"

Ehu Hadif considers this question for a long moment. "Nothing initially, no. If you find anything on-mission that could be of interest, it will be entirely up to you on how to handle such things."

Valamir:
The First Seeker looks absolutely sincere.

"If you think of anything else, please feel free to call me before your shuttle departs Absalom Station. Have a good mission, Starfinders."

-----

After leaving the First Seeker, you can begin making your preparations for the mission. While doing so, you might know something about the current political state of Vesk-8 and the spiritual traditions of the local kothama. You might also learn these things by chatting with your fellow agents at the Lorespire Complex.

Culture (Recall Knowledge) or Diplomacy (Gather Information) Checks

10+:
Kothamas are a have shaggy fur and six stout limbs, and multiple pairs of glassy eyes turned toward the skies. Their culture is extremely peaceful, and they spend most of their time contemplating the cosmos.

15+:
All of the above spoilers, plus:
The primary mining operation run by the vesk on Vesk-8 is called Penal Colony 8, and it’s a prison work camp that utilizes the labor of criminals committed for life. These sentences can be brutally short.

20+:
All of the above spoilers, plus:
The kothamas of Vesk-7 and Vesk-8 convene a gathering called the Meet once every 36 years, using portals scattered across both planets to reach their shared moon, Traverse.

25+:
All of the above spoilers, plus:
When the Meet takes place, the kothamas convene at Gathermount, a platform on top of the moon’s largest mountain that contains a magical shimmerstone gate.

30+:
All of the above spoilers, plus:
Some kothamas are able to reach such a high state of ascension that they become star shamans. These kothamas have unique abilities and are respected spiritualists that value the connection to the cosmos above all else. They have a special kinship with followers of Ibra and other celestial religions.

You might also already have knowledge about the properties of shimmerstone and the geography of Traverse and Vesk-8.

Physical Science (Recall Knowledge)

10+:
Vesk-7 and Vesk-8 pass each other on a 36‑year cycle, trading off their shared moon Traverse at this time. This event isn’t currently happening, and Traverse and Vesk-8 are currently at their furthest point in orbit.

15+:
All of the above spoilers, plus:
Vesk-8 is a cold, mountainous, and volcanically active world, whose geology is strongly influenced by the gravity of its moon and sister planet. The gravitational impact on Traverse as it transfers between the worlds is even greater, triggering volcanic eruptions on the moon. The eruptions result in deep lava trenches on the moon’s surface. The moon is also frequently impacted by space debris, which kick up fogs of suspended particles.

20+:
All of the above spoilers, plus:
The only liquid water on Vesk-8 comes from hot springs at the base of its mountains, such as Mount Matha, the tallest mountain in the Veskarium. Though Vesk-8 may be a harsh environment, its thin atmosphere is breathable to most breathing life forms. By contrast, Traverse has no natural atmosphere. A pulsing energy center at its core powers the technological structures that produce a breathable atmosphere at its tallest mountain, Gathermount.

25+:
All of the above spoilers, plus:
While shimmerstone is primarily known to release a calming effect, a few case studies have experimented with infusing other emotional properties into shimmerstone by using other substances. The result of these experiments has yielded darker, cloudier, and nearly red-colored shimmerstone that behaves far more erratically.

At this juncture, you can make any preparations you would like before leaving Absalom Station, including making purchases and slotting your boons (which you can post here or in the discussion tab - your choice).

Once more than half of the party has indicated their readiness to continue, we shall blast off on your shuttle to the Veskarium!

Acquisitives

Male Lambent Vesk Solarian 1 /SP 0 HP 10 / RP 3/ EAC 15(16); KAC 15(16) / Fort +4; Ref +0; Will +2

At some point, while preparing for the mission, Grimace will do some digging on what he knows about Vesk 8, himself.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19

Wayfinders

He/Him/His Ysoki Mystic (Star Shaman) 1 | EAC 13 KAC 14 | HP 8/8 Stamina 6/6 | F 0 R +2 W +6 | Init +6 Perc +8

Blastoff looks around at his companions, bloodshot eyes big with curiosity, "Anybody been to Vesk-8 before?"

Wayfinders

Morlamaw EAC: 14 KAC: 15 sp 14, hp 16, rp 4 Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +2 ! Mechanic 3

Culture: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12

"As I recall Kothamas have shaggy fur and six stout limbs, and multiple pairs of glassy eyes. Their culture is extremely peaceful, and they spend most of their time contemplating the cosmos. Maybe because their eyes are turned toward the skies. The marlowmaw booms out a chuckle. "Before the Pathfinders arrived, the 'sky' seemed to be the limit. Now I know, there were stars above that sky. I can relate with the kothamas in that way.

PhySci: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19

How does one prepare for volcanoes? The mechanic explains what he knows of Vesk-7 and Vesk-8. Every 36‑years they trade their shared moon Traverse when they pass each other. "This isn’t happening now. In fact and Traverse and Vesk-8 are currently at their furthest point in orbit.

He continues, Vesk-8 is a cold, mountainous, and volcanically active world, whose geology is strongly influenced by the gravity of its moon and sister planet. The gravitational impact on Traverse as it transfers between the worlds is even greater, triggering volcanic eruptions on the moon. The eruptions result in deep lava trenches on the moon’s surface. The moon is also frequently impacted by space debris, which kick up fogs of suspended particles.

Is 15 KAC/EAC low? Should I consider upgrading my armor or continue to save up for that really cool hover bike I always wanted?

Wayfinders

He/Him Human Soldier 3 | E21/K22 | SP 24/24 HP 25/25 R 4/4 |F +4 R +4 W +3 | Init. +7 | Perc. +3

"So it sounds like the locals won't be an issue," Santos replies , making his way to the exit to signal his readiness to head out.

Acquisitives

Male Lambent Vesk Solarian 1 /SP 0 HP 10 / RP 3/ EAC 15(16); KAC 15(16) / Fort +4; Ref +0; Will +2

"Vesk 8 is in the system of my people. It is another glorious and righteous location inspired by Vesk culture, that goes without saying of course. There is a primary mining operation run by the vesk on Vesk-8 is called Penal Colony 8, and it’s a prison work camp that utilizes the labor of criminals committed for life. These sentences can be brutally short. Of course, criminals should be lucky to sentenced to Vesk 8 for their crimes. The Vesk have become soft on criminals. "

Wayfinders

Male Elf- 2398490-701 Witchwarper 1; EAC 13; KAC 14; SP 5; HP 9; RP 2; Fort +0; Ref +4; Will +1; Init +2; Perc +7

”Sounds like a charming place. When do we leave?“ Valamir says as he heads to the door.

Dataphiles

1 person marked this as a favorite.
| SP 28/28 | HP 28/28 | RP 5/5 | EAC 17 KAC 18 CMD 26 | Fort +2, Ref +7, Will +4; Evasion | Init +9 | Perception +9 (Darkvision 60ft) [/b] | Active Effects: None | Armor Environmental Seals: Inactive (5 days remaining) | Female Xenometric Android Strix (Starwalker) Operative (Hacker) 4

Culture: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (3) + 12 = 15

"Soft on criminals? What kind of crime could someone commit to have them pushed into a place like this until they are no more? I thought that the point of the justice system was justice through rehabilitation... not creating a sub-servant class of worker drone bees. Because it serves the greater good, I will continue this mission to support it, however my lady between the stars... she will know the true knowledge and beliefs that I hold while being willing to serve the cause of our society."

Acquisitives

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Lambent Vesk Solarian 1 /SP 0 HP 10 / RP 3/ EAC 15(16); KAC 15(16) / Fort +4; Ref +0; Will +2

"Rehabilitation? I have never experienced such a policy in my time on Akiton, or in Vesk. I can't imagine it is practiced anywhere with any amount of sincerity. My limited experience with the Starfinders suggest that most Starfinders do not even adhere to such practice. But who knows, maybe you will endeavor to teach me something else on this venture? The Veskarium's laws are clear and to my understanding, work." Grimace says with open mindedness.

Wayfinders

1 person marked this as a favorite.
He/Him/His Ysoki Mystic (Star Shaman) 1 | EAC 13 KAC 14 | HP 8/8 Stamina 6/6 | F 0 R +2 W +6 | Init +6 Perc +8

Blastoff stares at Jewel, rapt, as if listening to the voice of God. He pulls out a can of cheap rice beer, pops the top, and chugs it, waiting for the oracle to speak some more.

not sarcastic. Blastoff loves this speech.

Wayfinders

| Dustbound Scenery & Maps D19 | Table 2 Scenery & Maps | | Table 3 Maps & Handouts | ◆ | ◆◆ | ◆◆◆ | ◇ | ↺ | Lucid Dreaming Handout

<3 you all :)

Soundtrack 3 & 4: Flight & Arrival

You board a small shuttle piloted by a member of Exo-Guardians who lifts off and pilots out of Absalom Station's docking lanes before activating its drift engines. 3d6 ⇒ (2, 5, 1) = 8 uneventful days of travel through the Drift later, you return to normal space in the Ghavaniska System - home of the Veskarium. A Vesk military listening outpost broadcasts a challenge when you are first detected and your pilot transmits the authorization code that they were given.

Political formalities now dealt with, you are sent a flight path and make your way to Vesk-8.

As your ship begins its descent, an automated broadcast provides warnings about the severe chill of the planet, and notes that your landing zone is near a penal colony, so you should be alert. Your pilot lets out a gasp of wonderment at something a few minutes after you've been flying at low altitude in the planet's atmosphere, and angles the vessel so you can get a view of the stunning Mount Matha Monastery.

Fighting against the blustering winds of Vesk-8, your ship touches down just outside Penal Colony 8. A feline woman with sharp amber eyes stands proudly at the edge of the landing pad. Her white fur whips wildly in the frozen winds of the arctic planet. As the landing doors open, she beckons with clawed fingers toward the disembarking passengers.

“Welcome to Vesk-8. I am Rahla. Please, follow me.” With a brisk turn on her heels, she leads the way down a long staircase and into the dank mineshaft. Prisoners, restrained at their ankles, loiter around the mouth of the cavern with wary eyes. “Don’t mind them,” she assures. “We must reach the portal quickly. Watch your step.” She hops nimbly over a crack in the path and points it out behind her, offering a hand to help anyone less sure of foot to cross.

Once across and making your way down into the mines, she speaks to you over her shoulder. "It'll just take a few minutes to get to the portal. Is there anything I can answer for you along the way?"

Acquisitives

Male Lambent Vesk Solarian 1 /SP 0 HP 10 / RP 3/ EAC 15(16); KAC 15(16) / Fort +4; Ref +0; Will +2

"What is so pressing about this portal? Is it going somewhere?

Wayfinders

Morlamaw EAC: 14 KAC: 15 sp 14, hp 16, rp 4 Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +2 ! Mechanic 3

"Greetings Rahla, we were told we would have the pleasure of your guidance." The marlomaw nods his head to Captain Gwar in agreement. "I do not however remember anything of a portal."

Her words make it sound much more than a mere entrance to the mines. Didn't we learn the shimmerstone was magical in nature? I've got a... bad feeling bout this.

"Can you tell us more about the phen... the curiosity we are here to investigate?"

Wayfinders

He/Him Human Soldier 3 | E21/K22 | SP 24/24 HP 25/25 R 4/4 |F +4 R +4 W +3 | Init. +7 | Perc. +3

Santos follows closely behind Rahla, declining her offer of help over the crack. He nods as Grimace and Hanmi Booki speak. "An idea of what we can expect would be great, especially if whatever's gonna happen is gonna happen quickly."

Wayfinders

Male Elf- 2398490-701 Witchwarper 1; EAC 13; KAC 14; SP 5; HP 9; RP 2; Fort +0; Ref +4; Will +1; Init +2; Perc +7

"Has any of the prisoners come in contact or got close to this portal? And if so what happened to them?" Valamir asks as he looks around suspiciously.

I'd like to do a perception check as we descend to this portal. To notice anything unusual or potentially dangerous.

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24

Dataphiles

| SP 28/28 | HP 28/28 | RP 5/5 | EAC 17 KAC 18 CMD 26 | Fort +2, Ref +7, Will +4; Evasion | Init +9 | Perception +9 (Darkvision 60ft) [/b] | Active Effects: None | Armor Environmental Seals: Inactive (5 days remaining) | Female Xenometric Android Strix (Starwalker) Operative (Hacker) 4

As Jewel follows, she stares incredulously at the sites around her, and the way their host is acting. Looking over the creatures lining the halls, her eyes land for a long moment on some pahtra, and she whispers to herself "Is this what became of the ones that we fought? Is this what happens when the Vesk win?

Finally, unable to continue to hold back her disdain, she address their guide. "Rahla, why are we not minding them? The fact that they are creatures who are suffering, do you not want to stop that? Whatever have they done to make you be able to look past their suffering and treat them as objects? Even the makers of my kind treat the vessels that we are before with more reverence that you are treating them, and they have their souls... Don't they?"

I'm not sure if you would want a diplomacy or intimidate roll here - she's seething with anger, but not making threats.

Wayfinders

| Dustbound Scenery & Maps D19 | Table 2 Scenery & Maps | | Table 3 Maps & Handouts | ◆ | ◆◆ | ◆◆◆ | ◇ | ↺ | Lucid Dreaming Handout

Soundtrack 3 & 4: Flight & Arrival

Grimace of Gwar wrote:
"What is so pressing about this portal? Is it going somewhere?
Hanmi Booki wrote:

"I do not however remember anything of a portal."

"Can you tell us more about the phen... the curiosity we are here to investigate?"

Rahla listens to both of your questions before replying, "It isn’t the portal itself that has our attention. There are dozens or more like it all over Vesk-8. It’s something the kothamas use. We generally ignore them. The anomaly is its behavior. I’ll explain further when we arrive.”

Santos Peregrino wrote:
"An idea of what we can expect would be great, especially if whatever's gonna happen is gonna happen quickly."

She thinks for a moment before answering this. "The situation is somewhat fluid and unpredictable, which is why I want to get you there quickly in case there is another anomaly. The interval between occurrences varies from a few hours to several days, and neither Jularaz nor I want you to waste your time camping out in a mine shaft."

Valamir of the eclipsed realm wrote:
"Has any of the prisoners come in contact or got close to this portal? And if so what happened to them?"

Rahla answers this immediately, "We don't think so. As soon as the anomaly first occurred, one guard came to get me while the others moved the prisoners out of the chamber. Dead prisoners hurts mine production, after all."

Julinia "Jewel" Itaraak wrote:
"Rahla, why are we not minding them? The fact that they are creatures who are suffering, do you not want to stop that? Whatever have they done to make you be able to look past their suffering and treat them as objects? Even the makers of my kind treat the vessels that we are before with more reverence that you are treating them, and they have their souls... Don't they?"

The pahtra smirks slightly, as if having much experience with questions like this. Her pitch and words seem memorized and rehearsed. “This is a penal colony. As such, the workers are serving their time as determined by the law of the Veskarium. If conditions seem extreme here, they are. We don’t expect most of these criminals to ever see freedom again.”

Rahla doesn't seem offended by Jewel's anger in the slightest. Valamir notices that any prisoner groups they pass hug the mine walls and look down, especially from your pahtra guide and Grimace.

Several minutes after descending below ground, you reach a 20-foot diameter circular chamber. Blue, softly luminescent jagged shimmerstone adorns every inch of the walls. Elaborate designs of smooth, carved shimmerstone inlay the floor, originating from the base of a shimmerstone archway at the center.

Rahla paces the edge of the room, eyeing the portal quizzically.

“This is one of many portals which are meant to transport the kothamas during the twice-yearly pilgrimage to their Meet — Vesk‑8 years, that is. They are only ever active for this event, despite our best attempts. However, this one has been activating consistently since its discovery, and we are more than a quarter of this planet’s very long years away from the Meet.

“You must investigate the nature of this anomaly. Enter the portal when it next opens, and report what’s on the other side. With the shared moon being so far away at this time, we must know where it leads.”

The portal isn’t currently active, and neither Rahla nor the remaining miners or guards have any estimation of when it will become active again. The miners who were present when the anomaly first appeared sit just outside the room on the cold floor, ankles chained to one another, whispering back and forth.

Each of you can attempt one of the following avenues of investigation:
(Multiple characters can aid each other or try separately for the same option, but each PC only receives one roll of the dice at this time)

Talk to the prisoners -

DC 15 Diplomacy or Intimidate Check:
If asked about the portal, they are reluctant to talk with Rahla in the room. However, you are able to convince them to quietly share that when the portal first activated, a prisoner working the section stuck his head through the portal and immediately fell back through, gasping for air and his sweat frozen to his brow. Rahla, Jularaz, the guards, and the prisoners have since been too scared to enter it.

Study the shimmerstone -

DC 15 Physical Science Check:
You realize that the stone is cloudier and darker than the shimmerstone elsewhere in the mine, although this doesn’t appear to be from any physical impurities in the stone, suggesting a mystical origin. Seeing you examine so thoroughly, Rahla permits you to take enough small pieces of shimmerstone so each of your party members have a sample.

Reach out to feel the energies surrounding the portal -

DC 18 Mysticism Check:
You are suddenly blasted with a swelling of emotion! This may be uncontrollable laughter, or a sudden urge to cry. Regardless, it’s distinctly contrary to the calming effect in standard shimmerstone. Please indicate that your character is feeling this - you can roleplay it as much or as little as you'd like, though!

Acquisitives

Male Lambent Vesk Solarian 1 /SP 0 HP 10 / RP 3/ EAC 15(16); KAC 15(16) / Fort +4; Ref +0; Will +2

Grimace will activate his voice amplifier and interrogate the prisoners about the anomaly. He will share anything he discovers with his comrades.

"You, inmate. Tell me what you know of this occurence?"

Intimidate: 1d20 + 13 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 13 + 2 = 20

Wayfinders

He/Him/His Ysoki Mystic (Star Shaman) 1 | EAC 13 KAC 14 | HP 8/8 Stamina 6/6 | F 0 R +2 W +6 | Init +6 Perc +8

Mysticism 13+7 = 20

Blastoff watches the cat person warily as she leads them through the tunnels, careful to always keep Grimace and at least one other starfinder between himself and their guide. So intently is he watching Rahla that he actually trips on the crack that she pointed out.

Once in the room, the ysoki pulls a rolled stick of vegetable matter from a cheek pouch and is trying to light it on fire, seemingly disinterested in the conversation going on. Once people are done talking the little rat man looks at the arch, slowly narrowing his eyes. Without warning, the little humanoid lets out a bloodcurdling screech rising up into frequencies beyond human hearing.

With a powerful leap the star shaman flies into the air, his hands at his waist, his fingers moving in a blur as he taps out a complicated rhythm on his little drum speaking strangely of longing for the abyss. Landing on his knees, bloodshot eyes rolled back, Blastoff sways rhythmically, the dust around him floating up and orbiting him.

Almost as quickly as it started, the ysoki’s ecstatic dance stops, he looks around, reaches for his dropped smoking device, and takes a big drag. ”That thing,” the ysoki points to the arch, ”is intense,” and he inhales another lungful of smoke.

Wayfinders

Morlamaw EAC: 14 KAC: 15 sp 14, hp 16, rp 4 Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +2 ! Mechanic 3

"Are you saying the portals have something to do with the moon? Is that where the Meet happens? After a minute he asks, "Has anyone asked the kothamas where this goes?"

Hanmi taps a few things on data pad and adjusts his helmet's visor. Manta clomps steadily along the wall stopping near the mechanics head. A brief flashing of lights passes between the two as the look at the portal.

PhySci: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10

"No. I want visuals." the marlowmaw lets out a booming sigh. "Just visuals The lights flicker again. "Yes, I can see it is stone." Finally he gives up. "I got nothing."

Dataphiles

| SP 28/28 | HP 28/28 | RP 5/5 | EAC 17 KAC 18 CMD 26 | Fort +2, Ref +7, Will +4; Evasion | Init +9 | Perception +9 (Darkvision 60ft) [/b] | Active Effects: None | Armor Environmental Seals: Inactive (5 days remaining) | Female Xenometric Android Strix (Starwalker) Operative (Hacker) 4

Jewel flutters her wings as she kneels down next tow one of the prisoner groups, offering them a drink from the water bottle in her backpack. Whispering to them, "What did you do that brought you here? What was so bad that allowed them to treat you like this?"

Looking down at them as they respond, she then asks them what they can share with here about the portal - what have they seen, as far as the portal and if there has been anyone around it.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20

Wayfinders

He/Him Human Soldier 3 | E21/K22 | SP 24/24 HP 25/25 R 4/4 |F +4 R +4 W +3 | Init. +7 | Perc. +3

Mysticism: 1d20 ⇒ 14

Not being much of a 'people person,' Santos leaves the prisoners to Grimace and Jewel. He's not much of a scientist either, so he settles on just staring at the portal until something happens.

After staring at it for a few minutes, nodding as Blastoff has his revelation, he finally agrees with Hanmi, "yep, there's nothing going on here."

Wayfinders

Male Elf- 2398490-701 Witchwarper 1; EAC 13; KAC 14; SP 5; HP 9; RP 2; Fort +0; Ref +4; Will +1; Init +2; Perc +7

Valamir steps a little closer to the portal to get a sense of it.
Reveal your secrets to me…..

Mysticism: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9

”Fine. Be that way.“
He says as he turns and walks away from the portal.

Wayfinders

| Dustbound Scenery & Maps D19 | Table 2 Scenery & Maps | | Table 3 Maps & Handouts | ◆ | ◆◆ | ◆◆◆ | ◇ | ↺ | Lucid Dreaming Handout
Blastoff wrote:
Mysticism 13+7 = 20

Blastoff, in order to roll dice on Paizo you need to use brackets similar to how you marked "ooc". The argument in text is (dice) or (dice=Mysticism)1d20+8(/dice) - using brackets instead of parenthesis.

Also I'm not sure where the +7 is from, either. Your sheet lists your Mysticism as a +8.

For now though:

Blastoff Mysticism: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18

By stroke of luck, the check succeeds! Take Blastoff's post as-is along with the knowledge/insight that may bring. My evening went a little sideways but I'll make a full post here before I go to bed.

PS, Blastoff:
One little thing I noticed on your character sheet; Mystics (and really all Starfinder spellcasters) are spontaneous rather than prepared, so you can cast any of your known level 1 spells without having to designate them in advance! Just thought you'd want to know that before we get your characters on a map!

If you have any questions about stuff, by the by, feel free to send me a message through here. I'm on at weird times of day, but I am on almost every day :)

Wayfinders

| Dustbound Scenery & Maps D19 | Table 2 Scenery & Maps | | Table 3 Maps & Handouts | ◆ | ◆◆ | ◆◆◆ | ◇ | ↺ | Lucid Dreaming Handout

Jewel and Grimace are able to learn some interesting things from the prisoners while Blastoff has an...odd...reaction to the energies surrounding the portal itself.

Suddenly, the air inside the portal begins to glow, bursting into a swirl of blue tones and hues. Rahla nods to all of you, obviously expecting your swift passage across the threshold.

You can take any precautions you'd like before entering the portal - feel free to write these on your next post! :)

When you step into the light, the air immediately vanishes as vacuum engulfs you. A wide cavern stretches before your group, its floors and walls a mosaic of shimmerstone. The cavern is lightless aside from the soft glow of the portal. The cavern drips with the melted ice from the much colder surface somewhere above.

The gentle glow of the portal brightly illuminates a small area (5 feet) around it. Several delicate shimmerstone inlays originating from each side of the portal stretch out like sun rays along the cavern ground, generating another 10 feet of dim light. As soon as the last of you pass through the portal, however...the light dies and the portal winks out. You are now on your own.

DC 15 Survival Check:
Examining the area, you determine that this cavern is entirely natural. You see no tracks or signs of movement for the past several weeks.

After emerging from a narrow passage, the walls begin to rumble. Moments later, two small wormlike creatures burst forth, silently hissing in your direction!

Initiative:
Blastoff: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8
Grimace: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14
Hanmi: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13
Jewel: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (17) + 9 = 26
Santos: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27
Valamir: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
Enemies: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13

Soundtrack 5: Cave Combat!

ROUND 1
Santos
Jewel
Grimace
Hanmi
Red creature
Yellow creature
Blastoff
Valamir

Life Science Check to Recall Knowledge:

DC 6 or higher -
Spoiler:
These are Moonborn Diathas, a vacuum-adapted variant of the otherwise common vermin. They are known to explode when they die!

DC 11 or higher -

Spoiler:
All of the above spoiler, plus:
Moonborn Diathas have elemental immunities.

DC 16 or higher -

Spoiler:
All of the above spoilers, plus:
These creatures have a tendency to charge enemies and intentionally blow themselves up when they are grievously wounded. Their worst save is Will.

Santos, Jewel, Grimace, and Hanmi are up!

Map is posted!

Wayfinders

He/Him Human Soldier 3 | E21/K22 | SP 24/24 HP 25/25 R 4/4 |F +4 R +4 W +3 | Init. +7 | Perc. +3

Survival: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8

Santos hesitates only long enough to switch on his flashlight and activate his environmental protections, and then steps through the portal, bracing himself for any disorientation. He admires the shimmerstone inlays as the rest of the group makes there way through the portal.

Once everyone is ready to venture further into the cavern he leads them through the passage, pointing out the creatures with is light as they appear. He then rushes to the side of one of the worms, switching the flashlight to his off hand before striking out with the other.

Unarmed: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22
bludgeoning damage: 1d4 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10

Acquisitives

Male Lambent Vesk Solarian 1 /SP 0 HP 10 / RP 3/ EAC 15(16); KAC 15(16) / Fort +4; Ref +0; Will +2

Grimace, gripping his riot shield and citing a prayer will steps through the portal.....

On the other side he would confirm all other party members are well and together then proceed with the group.

Grimace seeing Santos engage on of the creatures, will move to engage the other and summon his Solar Weapon with another action.

Wayfinders

He/Him/His Ysoki Mystic (Star Shaman) 1 | EAC 13 KAC 14 | HP 8/8 Stamina 6/6 | F 0 R +2 W +6 | Init +6 Perc +8

GM:

Spoiler:
Thank you for the info on rolling and my character sheet. I've updated my character sheet and finally placed my token. If my small character can't in fit where I placed him on the ice map please change him to a suitable location.

Careful to let the three leaders go ahead, Blastoff then runs squealing at the portal, arms outstretched, and jumps through, landing in the tunnel on the other side. His head snaps up to look at the roof of the passage and he visibly growls, then looks around almost panicked.

Survival: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (17) + 10 = 27

The little Ysoki stays in the middle of the group, bloodshot eyes darting back and forth, teeth bared, hands fidgeting at his drum as if about to play but not actually striking.

Wayfinders

Male Elf- 2398490-701 Witchwarper 1; EAC 13; KAC 14; SP 5; HP 9; RP 2; Fort +0; Ref +4; Will +1; Init +2; Perc +7

Survival: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10

”Well, in we go.“
Valamir says as he takes a cautious step into the portal following behind his comrades.

And as he enters the portal he casts a spell sending out 4 orbs of light 20 feet out in front of him.
Dancing lights

Wayfinders

Morlamaw EAC: 14 KAC: 15 sp 14, hp 16, rp 4 Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +2 ! Mechanic 3

Before any of the Starfinders enter the portal, Hanmi sends Manta through to determine environment & safety. The mechanic seals his suit, draws a pistol and follows the others in.

...
"Worms? the marlomaw asks. He aims a pistol at the nearest and squeezes off a shot.
pistol vs. KAC: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11, dmg: 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4

Wayfinders

| Dustbound Scenery & Maps D19 | Table 2 Scenery & Maps | | Table 3 Maps & Handouts | ◆ | ◆◆ | ◆◆◆ | ◇ | ↺ | Lucid Dreaming Handout

Santos reacts quickly, rushing toward the red creature and striking it - hard!

Grimace advances and summons his solar armaments (note - you can move yourself on the Google slideshow, but I've moved you for now based on your description).

Hanmi takes a shot, but strikes the cave wall instead.

(Placing Jewel on hold for now)

The creatures each try to take a bite out of their closest attackers!

Red Bite vs Santos: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15 vs. KAC
Slashing Damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3

Yellow Bite vs Grimace: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26 vs. KAC
Slashing Damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3

Soundtrack 5: Cave Combat!

ROUND 1
Jewel
Blastoff
Valamir
ROUND 2
Santos
Grimace (3 damage)
Hanmi
Red creature (10 damage)
Yellow creature (0 damage)

(Life Science checks are still available to recall knowledge - see my earlier post if you decide to roll)

Jewel, Blastoff, and Valamir are up (Round 1); followed by Santos, Grimace, and Hanmi!

Map is updated!

Acquisitives

Male Lambent Vesk Solarian 1 /SP 0 HP 10 / RP 3/ EAC 15(16); KAC 15(16) / Fort +4; Ref +0; Will +2

Grimace will align his shield as a move action versos yellow and slash him with his weapon.

Photon Attunement:2

Solar Weapon Slash/Fire: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20

Damage: 1d6 + 2 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 2 + 4 + 1 = 13

1 to 50 of 205 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Dire GM's [SFS] #3-03: Frozen Ambitions: The Shimmerstone Gateway (PaizoCon Online 2021) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.