SFSTL Attack of the Swarm

Game Master Alledisil

A private Attack of the Swarm Starfinder campaign

Current Map


1 to 50 of 71 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>

The transport bounces heavily as it makes its way down the broken, pot-holed road from the capital city of Brinnoa to Camp Cavalier. The engine whines loudly, straining to keep up such a high speed in this difficult terrain. Even with such loud mechanical noise, the winter wind makes its presence known, buffeting the transport with heavy blows as if toying with the multi-ton machine. There are no windows, but the dim yellow dome light flickers with each jolt, allowing the occupants just flashing glimpses of one another. The air is stuffy and pungent, as the few dozen passengers crammed in such a tight space generate quite a bit of heat and stench.

In peacetime, this wouldn’t be a terribly odd collection of folks anywhere on Suskillon. Some humans, a few shirren, and quite a number of other races, old and young alike. Many are wearing Suskillon Defense Force patches on their civilian clothes, but some are clearly not Suskill. Almost all are carrying some form of firearm. Most fidget nervously, sitting in silence. Many of these new recruits have lost friends, family, parents, and children in the six months since the invasion began. Now they are finally joining the fray, answering a call to rebuild the ranks of the lost Fifth Battalion. Even more omnipresent than the stench of sweat, the nervousness in the air is palpable. These people have heard the stories of what the Swarm did at the Battle at Stone Sea.

Six months ago, the Swarm breached the planet’s orbital and aerial defenses and touched down at Stone Sea, a large freshwater lake surrounding a dormant volcano. The Fifth Battalion of the SDF was closest to the site of contact and held the Swarm back long enough for the SDF to mobilize other battalions to the area. Stories of the battle have already reached near-mythical heights, as most members of the Fifth Battalion were killed in glorious, terrible combat.

Since then, the SDF has fought a losing battle against the Swarm. Though Suskillon is a friendly trading partner with the nearby Pact Worlds, the planet’s government has yet to officially request aid, with many afraid that the Pact Worlds will claim their planet as a protectorate in “payment” for such help. However, that hasn’t stopped volunteers and mercenaries from other systems (including the Pact Worlds and the Veskarium) from journeying to Suskillon to join in the fight against the invasion. The Swarm is relentless, though, and it has already overrun nearly half of the planet. However, over the past few weeks, Suskillon has enjoyed something of a respite as the Swarm appears to have ceased its near-daily attacks.

The transport suddenly lurches to a stop, the engine seemingly sighing in relief as it returns to a low rumbling idle. Many of the recruits stand up, but the doors remain closed. Outside, the sounds of activity become clear. More vehicles moving about, indistinct shouting, as well as the odd burst of artillery fire. For almost fifteen minutes, nothing happens. The recruits slowly begin talking to each other, introducing themselves, reminiscing about their homes, their reasons for fighting, and trading rumors they’ve heard about the Swarm and the war effort.

Go ahead and introduce yourselves. You four are seated near the middle of the transport, 2 each on either side of the center aisle.

Second Seekers (Jadnura)

Conditions:
None
Stats:
Raxilite Envoy 1 (HP 8/8 | SP 6/6 | RP 4/4 | KAC/EAC 13/14 | Fort:+0 | Ref:+5 | Will:+2 | Init:+3 | Perc: +4 | Speed: 30
Pet Stats:
Yasakaja Animal Companion 1 (HP 10/10 | KAC/EAC 11/14 | Fort:+1 | Ref:+4 | Will:+1 | Init:+2 | Perc: +5 | Speed: 50 / 30 Climb

Enoot maneuvers it's mount, Little Foot, to better talk to those closest to it.

Greetings, I am Enoot. I come from Raxil, about twenty years ago my people met a Lashunta expedition and I traveled to Castrovel. After some time I then journeyed to Absalom Station with another group of my people to gain protectorate staus for my planet. After the Swarm attack on the Pact Worlds and Veskarium I went and offered aid wherever I could. I never felt I helped enough. I knew that I had to take a much more direct approach for the next time and started a career in the military. When I heard that the swarm had struck again, I resigned my post and made my way here...and well here I am. It will be my honor to get to know you so we may fight side by side against this menace. So please tell me of yourselves.

Acquisitives

Female Pahtra Witchwarper / 1

Conditions:
None

Stats:
Female pahtra (sensate) witchwarper (divine champion) 1 (HP 9/9 | SP 6/6 | RP 4/4 | KAC/EAC 12/13 | Fort:+1 | Ref:+3 | Will:+0 | Init:+5 | Perc: +4 | Speed: 30

Active Spells:
None

Noooooooo no no no no no
A lithe pahtra screams out while moving her hands feverishly across her datapad.
Where is the third key? The riddle said two keys and a key.. the third one has to be around here somewhere. I mean, I know the Eoxian game studios just push out trash, but they aren’t this bad. I mean, the zombies aren’t great coders but they sure write a lot of code. They don’t need to sleep, and now they don’t even need to give them real brains. It’s all “Just Like Brains” brain paste. Same great taste with half of the grey matter. I think they grow the stuff in vats. But seriously, this is pissing me off. I didn’t back the initial release of Vesk Quest 3™ to get the deluxe edition with the extra skittermander level to be stuck in this stupid office.
She looks up, realizing that she was not in fact working through an inner monologue.
Ohhhh KITTY!
Kita leaps from her chair, almost hitting Enroot in the head as she wraps her arms around it’s companion.
What’s it’s name? Can I pet it? What does it eat? Where’s it from? It doesn’t eat felines does it? Maybe small felines?
She stops for a moment, lets go of the companion, and perks up.
Wait… you’re a talking flower? That is soooo AMAZING. How do you talk? Do you need water? I think I have some in my pack.
She reaches back for a second, then freezes, swinging the datapad back around.
That’s it! It’s not key, it’s cay! Stupid Vesk translation.
She taps on the screen for a few more seconds.
Ahhhhh, now I’m falling. Oh….. maybe this will get me to the cult of Vesk eating skittermanders. I’m supposed to give them this bag of Vesk snacks I found in that old stump.

Exo-Guardians

Undead?
Stats:
Varculak (Shirren) 1 | HP 9/9 | SP 7/7 | RP 4/4 | KAC/EAC 13/12 | Fort:+3 | Ref:+2 | Will:+0 | Init:+2 | Perc: +7 | Speed: 30 / 30
Conditions:
None

Zarrex looks around, seeing the questions on the faces of the rookies riding alongside them. Watching some of them stare at their half-rotten flesh. Resigning themself to the fact that this awkwardness will only get worse with silence, they speak up.

"I can see the questions on your faces. Well, most of your faces. It's ok. Not many people have seen someone like me before. I was on Alipu Minor, serving in the 5th Battalion when it was hit by The Swarm. That's how I ended up this way. I don’t remember much, but I’ll tell you everything I can. Everything seemed to be happening in slow motion. My brother, Xiktavarrex, lay motionless beneath me as I reached for a healing serum. I could hear his telepathic screams of agony filling my head while explosions, a high pitched ringing, the sounds of weapons smashing against armor, gunshots, the all-too-familiar squish and crack of flesh being violently penetrated, and bones snapping like tree branches filled my ears. As I pulled the serum out of my bag and prepared to administer the injection, I looked down at Xiktavarrex just in time to see a barbed foreleg pierce my exoskeleton with a loud crack. Excruciating pain instantly surged through my body as I went limp, dropping the serum to the ground. Just as quickly as it came, the pain left. As I flew backward through the air, the world went silent and still. A dark emptiness engulfed my senses.

The next thing I remember is looking down at myself. I saw my own body, but there was something different about it. It was distant, fading, surreal. It is hard to describe the passage of time in that place, almost like there was none. Rage and sorrow filled my being. Watching my friends…no, my family, slaughtered around me..watching those creatures gut our home, our way of life, and our very existence from around me...killing everyone and everything I held dear. It tore the very fabric of my soul. I had to go back! I could not let it end that way. I clawed and fought my way back against a current of souls that threatened to wash me away for eternity. Not this time! Not without Xiktavarrex.

Without warning, I woke up. I thought it must have been a nightmare. Darkness and silence surrounded me. I could see, but there was no light. I should have been able to hear the sound of my breathing, but I did not. I reached up to my chest, to feel the place where my wound felt so real. I cut my flesh on the razor-sharp barbs of the foreleg still lodged into my chest, broken off from the creature that pierced my heart; however, I did not bleed. I was not breathing, I was not bleeding and I could not see. It took me a moment to realize that I had been sealed up inside some sort of bag. I had to claw my way out. Eventually, I calmed down enough to come to my senses. I was in a morgue. I had died. Pharasma had given me a second chance. One that I will not squander, which is why I am here today. You should have seen the look on the coroner's face when one of the corpses woke up and let itself out of the body bag with a Swarm limb still lodged all the way through its chest and out of its back. I think they almost died of a heart attack seeing me. Anyway, after they calmed down, they helped me remove the limb.

I spent the last 5 months in a lab full of doctors, generals, scientists, and priests. Each of them trying to explain how it is that I'm here and still alive if you could call it that. It's taken me until now to be cleared to return to the battlefield where I belong.

I may not have been able to save Xiktavarrex, but I will avenge him! Those monsters have to pay. They will pay! I will not rest until they know the pain that I know, feel the loss that I feel, and die the way I did, with violence and extreme prejudice.

I am Zarrex, and with Pharasma's blessing I have returned to the Suskillon Defence Force, 5th Battalion, not to offer my life; but to avenge my brother, Xiktavarrex, by doing everything within my power to protect my allies as well as purge the Swarm and all who stand with them from existence."

Zarrex grabs the holy symbol of Pharasma they are wearing around their neck, touches it to their forehead, mumbles something quietly in shirren and puts it back under their shirt. They then lean back and close their eyes, waiting.


After a time, a shirren a bit over five feet in height stands and addresses those near him on the transport. He is wearing brown lashunta ringwear armor with a scattergun and a pair of grenades hung on his belt. A Suskillon Defense Force patch adorns his outerwear.

”A pleasshure to meet all of shhyou.” he begins, mandibles clicking. ”My name issh Kelkikt.” ”You can call me “K” if you want,” the shirren continues, his voice now clearly heard inside of your heads. "I wish we were meeting in a better place than here, but here is where we are, so here'll have to do."

"Little bit about myself while we're just sittin' here. My great great great and so on grandparents were some of the first shirren to land on Suskillon, and my family’s called it home ever since. I grew up in a mining town about 4 hours outside ‘a Brinnoa. I made some money guardin’ warehouses right when I got outta school, and I was plannin’ on bein’ a miner, like my folks, but then the swarm showed up and I’d rather be dead than watch that happen, so here I am. I got an uncle back home who was in the SDF who was able to teach me a little bit about soldierin’ and squad tactics, so I got that to help out. Nice to meet you all.”

Kelkikt nods and listens to artillery fire boom outside of the transport.

"Ya'll suppose we should maybe do somethin'?"

Second Seekers (Jadnura)

Conditions:
None
Stats:
Raxilite Envoy 1 (HP 8/8 | SP 6/6 | RP 4/4 | KAC/EAC 13/14 | Fort:+0 | Ref:+5 | Will:+2 | Init:+3 | Perc: +4 | Speed: 30
Pet Stats:
Yasakaja Animal Companion 1 (HP 10/10 | KAC/EAC 11/14 | Fort:+1 | Ref:+4 | Will:+1 | Init:+2 | Perc: +5 | Speed: 50 / 30 Climb

Enoot looks at the pahtra and slightly cocks its head to the side in curiosity.

His name is Little Foot, ummm, what's your name?

Acquisitives

Female Pahtra Witchwarper / 1

Kita scratches the back of her head, focused on her data pad.
Why are there two gnomes in the pool? The old Skittermander in the cave said there would only be one. Ohhh, maybe it is a reflection… or supposed to be a reflection. Or a mirror image??
She looks up, finally noticing others nearby conversing in prolonged conversation. Her eyes grow wide as she fixates on Zarrex.
Ohhh, you are dead? That is soooo COOL! Do you breathe? Do you need to eat? Have you ever tried Just Like Brains™? I’ve heard zombies like it. We’ll, the ones that post on the streams I follow at least. Though they are mainly just trolling. Zombies aren’t known for deep conversation. Usually just like to argue about their greatness in making games. Ugh.. so lame.
Glancing back to the datapad, Kita sighs and shakes her head.
The gnomes are another stupid bug. Yeah, so much for zombie coding greatness… Oh, did you say vengeance? I totally get you there. Lot’s of things piss me off, though I tend to get distracted easily.
Smiling awkwardly as she puts her left hand behind her head.
Well, good luck on that whole vengeance thing. I’m going to report this stupid bug, and likely go engage in a flame war with Grugg. He’s the lead developer for Vesk Quest 3™. Totally lame… still lives with his necro creator. Thinks he’s too cool for all the gamers out there. Like his games are a work of art and we just don’t get his genius. I mean seriously, collecting 10 rat tails to make a potion has to be the lamest quest ever. That’s not genius. Especially when it lets you substitute badger tails because they used the same creature object for both.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Quickly spinning around at the response of Enroot.
Hiya… I’m Kita. Your kitty doesn’t eat felines does it?
Kita has no Life Science, and so refers to any four legged creature she does not know the type of as 'kitty'

Second Seekers (Jadnura)

Conditions:
None
Stats:
Raxilite Envoy 1 (HP 8/8 | SP 6/6 | RP 4/4 | KAC/EAC 13/14 | Fort:+0 | Ref:+5 | Will:+2 | Init:+3 | Perc: +4 | Speed: 30
Pet Stats:
Yasakaja Animal Companion 1 (HP 10/10 | KAC/EAC 11/14 | Fort:+1 | Ref:+4 | Will:+1 | Init:+2 | Perc: +5 | Speed: 50 / 30 Climb

Still looking at Kita.

Well he has never eaten one before but I suppose if he was hungry enough he could be tempted.

Enoot looks to Little foot petting him.

Do you wanna eat the kitty?

Little foot seems disinterested in everyone inside the transport and seems to be interested in the noises outside.

Enoot looks back towards Kita.

Meh, i'm sure you'll be fine

Enoot looks to Zarrex.

Wow, that's quite the story. Well with the combined might of all of us here I am sure it will only be a matter of time before your brother is avenged.

Enoot shifts his gaze to Kelkikt.

You are probably right but I wonder why they have not opened the doors for us.

Enoot looks around to see if he can find somebody in charge.

Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13

Acquisitives

Female Pahtra Witchwarper / 1

Smiling brightly at Enroot while nodding her head.
Whew… that’s a relief. I’d prefer not being eaten.
Kita glances around quickly.
What are you looking for? Do you need water? I think I have some in my pack.

Second Seekers (Jadnura)

Conditions:
None
Stats:
Raxilite Envoy 1 (HP 8/8 | SP 6/6 | RP 4/4 | KAC/EAC 13/14 | Fort:+0 | Ref:+5 | Will:+2 | Init:+3 | Perc: +4 | Speed: 30
Pet Stats:
Yasakaja Animal Companion 1 (HP 10/10 | KAC/EAC 11/14 | Fort:+1 | Ref:+4 | Will:+1 | Init:+2 | Perc: +5 | Speed: 50 / 30 Climb

I am looking for someone in charge so we can get off this transport.

Flashing a quick smile at Kita.

And thank you but at the moment I don't need any water.

Enoot goes back to scanning the people in the transport for someone in charge.


Enoot, you don’t see anyone that looks in charge, just a bunch of nervous recruits. The driver already exited and there’s no sign of him or anyone else with an actual SDF rank.

As the more claustrophobic of the recruits just start to panic a bit, a loud CLICK reverberates through the cabin, and the back doors swing open, flooding the transport with sunlight and biting, freezing air. Standing on the ground is an SDF Corporal, her blue uniform meticulously clean and neatly pressed. Her half-elven eyes pierce the recruits with cold indifference.

”I’m Corporal Lissa. Time to move, newbies. Form columns behind me and follow.”

Not waiting for further pleasantries or even for people to disembark, she turns and begins walking briskly to the far end of the encampment. Recruits scramble to grab their gear and stumble out of the transport and onto the muddy, slushy ground. It takes a few minutes, but eventually they form a pair of uneven lines and begin jogging after the Corporal. All around, the activity of war preparation is apparent. Starships buzz like wasps overhead, waiting for their turn to dock. Other transports ferry troops and cargo around camp, leaving deep tracks in the muddy snow. Troops on foot dodge the caravans, busily seeing to their own tasks or training. If viewed from far above, you might be forgiven for wondering what the real difference was between this nexus of activity and a Swarm hive. Both are full of component creatures carrying out tasks to ensure the survival and health of the whole for the coming fight. The jog winds the column past the barracks, then the command post, the mess hall, and a few separate armories. The pace is difficult to keep, and the transport tracks make jagged ditches in the muddy ground, leaving freezing puddles that could break an unlucky ankle. When a couple of the recruits feel as if they might actually be lost or on the verge of collapse, they finally stop at a holographic sign reading:

“WARNING: LIVE FIRE TRAINING. DO NOT ENTER WITHOUT AUTHORIZATION”

Silver Crusade

As the recruits stop to catch their breath at the base of a large platform overlooking a field filled with mud pits, ropes, and logs, Corporal Lissa appears completely unfazed. Each inhale feels like ice growing in the lungs, yet she calmly speaks to a dark-skinned human Specialist. Soon she leaves without a word. Not nearly enough time to recover from the long jog passes before he shouts commandingly, in a deep clear voice, compelling everyone in earshot to pay attention:

”Listen here, idiots, because I’m only going to say this once. I am SDF Drill Instructor Zinka Tan. You will address me as Drill Instructor Tan, Sir, and only as Drill Instructor Tan, Sir. That is the first lesson. Do not make me teach it again.”

He begins walking down the line, eyeing the recruits with disdain.

”I do not care ‘bout you. You ain’t soldiers. Hell, most of you are not cut out for war, yet here you are. I don’t care which backwater planethole you crawled out of or what ya’ daddy did in the Pact Worlds Navy. I do not care if you were promised honor, money, or cloaca when ya signed up. But I do care about winning this here war. I’ve been tasked with training you on how to point and shoot your guns in the general direction of those damn bugs, and not at yourself or your comrades. I will teach you how to follow directions, how to survive in this godsforsaken winter, and how to cook the finest hardtack the Suskillon Defense Force has e’er requisitioned. These are easy lessons, and you will learn them. If you ain’t feeling like learning, well then, you will die. My one and only job is to make the number of imbeciles and morons in the SDF as small as possible. So for the next fourteen days, y'all belong to me. Now drop your gear and start running that course.”

Silver Crusade

What follows is two weeks of grueling, exhausting training. There are midnight runs, early morning PT, small arms and rifle teardown and repair. A few recruits can barely keep up, but no one drops out. They know the SDF needs them. And so they keep going, for their chance to take the fight to the Swarm.

We are now in a full-blown 80s training montage. Give me one each of: Acrobatics, Athletics, Engineering (can make it untrained), Survival, two ranged attacks, and two melee attacks (unarmed).

You’re free to talk to each other and make Diplomacy or Profession (Soldier) checks to talk to other recruits or enlisted you run into in mess hall or in the barracks. Maybe you’ll learn something about the war effort or about the Swarm from those who have already fought them.

Acquisitives

Female Pahtra Witchwarper / 1

Yes Sir, Drill Instructor Tan, Sir. Are you having a good day Drill Instructor Tan, Sir?
Kita stands as steady as possible, mimicking those around her who obviously have had much more training than she has.
Acrobatics: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17
Athletics: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (15) - 1 = 14
Engineering: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9
Survival: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (18) + 0 = 18
ranged attack: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17
ranged attack: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18
melee attack (unarmed): 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (16) - 1 = 15
melee attack (unarmed): 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (12) - 1 = 11
Although some of her trials seem above her head, Kita seems to enjoy every task, jumping fully into each task. When she fails, she quickly jumps up and attempts to repeat the task.
She also enjoys talking to anyone around her and will engage in conversation with just about anyone. When needed, she will play off her weaknesses or use her con artist background to gain an advantage.
Diplomacy (under effect of charming veneer): 1d20 + 7 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 7 + 1 = 16
Profession (con artist): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (13) + 10 = 23
This is great! I can’t believe we get to try out all these new training methods. How are you all doing? Talking Flower? Kitty? Both dead and alive Shirrens?

Second Seekers (Jadnura)

Conditions:
None
Stats:
Raxilite Envoy 1 (HP 8/8 | SP 6/6 | RP 4/4 | KAC/EAC 13/14 | Fort:+0 | Ref:+5 | Will:+2 | Init:+3 | Perc: +4 | Speed: 30
Pet Stats:
Yasakaja Animal Companion 1 (HP 10/10 | KAC/EAC 11/14 | Fort:+1 | Ref:+4 | Will:+1 | Init:+2 | Perc: +5 | Speed: 50 / 30 Climb

SIR, YES SIR DRILL INSTRUCTOR TAN, SIR

Enoot hops off of Little Foot and looks at him.

Little Foot, follow me and do as I do

Enoot tries to reenact the basic training he has had in the past.

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5
Athletics: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22
Engineering: 1d20 ⇒ 19
Survival: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11
ranged attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6
ranged attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14
melee attack unarmed: 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (4) - 2 = 2
melee attack unarmed: 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (2) - 2 = 0

Enoot talks with anyone nearby who is interested in chatting
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (2) + 11 = 13

Little Foot attempts to follow Enoot through the training.
Not sure what the different tasks actually are so I know there are going to be things that are too complicated to command Little Foot to do.

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21
Athletics: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12
Survival: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25
melee attack unarmed: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21
melee attack unarmed: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13


"Yessh Drill Insshtructor Tam, Ssir!" Kelkekt shouts as he charges into the obstacle course.

Kelkikt tries running across the narrow, icy training bridge.
Acrobatics: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

He scrambles up the rope ladder.
Athletics: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13

He tries to assemble a comm unit from its components (despite not really knowing how to do it).
Engineering: 1d20 ⇒ 4

He tries tracking through the wilderness (despite having spent most of his life in a small town or a mine).
Survival: 1d20 ⇒ 20

He takes a few shots with his Azimuth laser pistol.
ranged attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17
ranged attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7

He trains with his light seismic pick that he brought from home.
melee attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21
melee attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21

During all of this he tries to bond a little bit with his fellow soldiers.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7

I imagine all of this happens in full montage style, with Kelkikt eating chow, laughing awkwardly at his own jokes, and extending hands to pull others up to the top of the rope wall while Be a man from Disney's Mulan plays in the background.

Exo-Guardians

Undead?
Stats:
Varculak (Shirren) 1 | HP 9/9 | SP 7/7 | RP 4/4 | KAC/EAC 13/12 | Fort:+3 | Ref:+2 | Will:+0 | Init:+2 | Perc: +7 | Speed: 30 / 30
Conditions:
None

As Zarrex single-mindedly works through the assigned tasks, flashbacks of going through training with their brother Xiktavarrex less than a year ago continuously cloud their mind.

A steadying arm reaching out as they try to balance across the rope bridge...
Acrobatics: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8

Shouts of encouragement while attempting to scale the climbing wall...
Athletics: 1d20 ⇒ 4

Xiktavarrex timing them breaking down, cleaning, reassembling and performing a function check on their rifle in the dark...
Engineering: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25

Learning to safely harvest fruit for food from dangerous plants...
Survival: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (20) - 1 = 19

The constant flashbacks of life with their brother fills Zarrex with a mixture of rage and sadness, a decidedly unsafe combination for live-fire training, so they decide to spend some time working on their hand to hand combat skills. It will feel good to use a sparring partner to take out their aggression.

Unarmed strike: 1d20 ⇒ 7
Unarmed strike: 1d20 ⇒ 10

Despite the intense hand to hand combat training, a feeling a tearful rage wells up inside Zarrex, so he reluctantly decides to visit the division chaplain after carefully making sure no one else sees them heading that way.

Zarrex is thinking to themself in a kind of telepathic mumble that someone really close might be able to overhear, though he makes sure to be alone when heading off to see the chaplain, not wanting others to know they are seeking help.

Afterall Zarrex, it's always good to get things off your thorax. Besides, the chaplain usually has sweet drinks and snacks they don't mind sharing and oftentimes some really good anecdotes about things going on in the world. Surely they can tell us something to help focus our mind and channel our energy.

I take a -2 penalty to this diplomacy check if the chaplain is a shirren
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3

After getting things off their chest, Zarrex heads to the firing ranges.

First, the indoor close quarters firing range...
Pulsecaster pistol: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14

Then his favorite, the sniper range...
Yellow jacket wraith-sting rifle: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19

Fearing the pain of loss, Zarrex keeps his mandibles shut and his eyes and antennae open, watching and listening to those around them.

Silver Crusade

Drill Instructor Tan pushes the recruits hard, testing their limits over and over. The days are filled with grueling runs and exercises, the evenings with classes on tactics, equipment, and melee combat. Some recruits learn to sleep standing up. It is clear that some of the recruits do not pass even the most basic tasks, but no one is expelled. The need for soldiers to replenish the Fifth Battalion is too great.

These four recruits are assigned to the same bunk unit in the corner of the barracks. They swap stories from home, commiserate over the harsh drills and weather, and discuss the latest scuttlebutt from around camp. The mood around camp is grim, though glimmers of hope have begun to shine through at the news of the Swarm’s seeming slowdown. The SDF and Suskillon as a whole have paid a terrible price over the last 6 months. Every credit expended, each drop of sweat, and all the bloodshed has been part of a worldwide attempt to repel the alien invaders.

Kita is a quick one to make friends among the class, and she's heard a number of interesting rumors.

Enoot’s presence becomes a recurring joke during the physical exercises. Though no one doubts his technical aptitude and tactical skills, his small form leaves much to be desired during hand-to-hand combat. No one is willing to wrestle with Littlefoot.

Kelkikt, however, is something of a sensation during sparring matches. His skill with the pick is unmatched among the recruits. He quickly makes friends with some of the bulkier humans, who may or may not be addicted to stim packs.

Zarrex returns to fighting form rather quickly, settling into the strangely familiar routine of boot camp. He is promoted to class primarch, meaning he is usually the first to be punished if someone forgets to make their bed. Zarrex's visit to the chaplain does not go very well, for the human chaplain is a devotee of Pharasma, and his reception to the Varculak is about as warm as one would expect. Still, the chaplain performs his duty. Zarrex’s visitation is short, formal, and mainly consists of a rote recitation of a prayer to Hylax for Zarrex; followed by a much more passionate prayer to Pharasma pleading for care for Zarrex's lost brother.

I sent the rumors you’ve heard in a DM, you can share them in character. Basic training is almost over!

Acquisitives

Female Pahtra Witchwarper / 1

Kita wakes up early and stretches as she jumps out of bed. She quickly reaches for her datapad and begins typing.
Ha.. looks like we almost have a full team. Enroot!
Kita looks over at the bunk next to her.
When are you going to accept my invite? We still need two players for tonight’s match.
Still looking through what appear to be numerous messages, Kita pauses and stares at her screen for several seconds. Stretching her arm behind her head, Kita appears deep in thought.
So, when do you think the planet will fall? It probably won’t be long now.
Still reading her screen, she reaches back to a large thermos by her bed.
Mmmmm, warm tea. I love these things.
Glancing at the thermos, which appears to have just finished heating and brewing tea. She pours out a glass and continues reading. Talking out loud to no one in particular, but clearly heard by anyone in close proximity.
I wonder what the swarm may be up to.. they seem to be out of sorts.. maybe that’s part of their plan. Oh, I can’t believe they said that.. I’m so going to kick their ass tonight.
Kita again types away at her data pad, taking periodic sips of her tea.

Exo-Guardians

Undead?
Stats:
Varculak (Shirren) 1 | HP 9/9 | SP 7/7 | RP 4/4 | KAC/EAC 13/12 | Fort:+3 | Ref:+2 | Will:+0 | Init:+2 | Perc: +7 | Speed: 30 / 30
Conditions:
None

Waking up 30 minutes early, Zarrex gets ready to rouse the rest of the recruits. As has become their daily ritual, they begin by asking Pharasma's forgiveness, and praying for the blessings of Hylax on this day. Noticing Kita, they give a wry smile and a nod in anticipation of what's about to happen as they walk over to the entrance of the barracks. All at once Zarrex flip the lights on to full bright and starts yelling as loud as they can.

GETUPGETUPGETUP! EVERYBODY OUT OF BED! MOVEMOVEMOVE! LET'SGOLET'SGOLET'SGO! YOU WOULD THINK THAT AFTER WEEKS OF TRAINING YOU WOULD HAVE FIGURED OUT THAT EARLY IS ON TIME AND ON TIME IS LATE! GET OUT OF BED, GET FED! GET YOUR DAILY PREPARATIONS DONE!

Walking away from the light switch and back to their corner of the barracks, they add

You three, attunement in 10. You know the drill.

After weeks in training with me, you all would know that I can attune my custom microlab to 4 creatures (which would include Little Foot). This takes 10 minutes, which I can combine with the time needed to prepare my biohacks for the day, and the creatures must be present, willing, and able to cooperate with the scan. Under some circumstances, I can deliver biohacks to attuned creatures using ranged injection weapons without making an attack roll. This means I can buff you without missing.

Zarrex spends the next 10 minutes preparing their camouflage membrane for the current biome, after which they start the 10-minute process of preparing their biohacks for the day and conducting attunement scans on party members who choose to do so.


"G'Morning, everyone," Kelkikt's voices appears in everyone in the group's head as they wait for Zarrex to finish conducting attunement scans on the party members.

"It's been tough and cold, but anything's better than losing our world t' tha Swarm. I heard at the chow hall a few weeks ago that the reason the Swarm knows all of our movements is they capture people, bring 'em back to the Swarm HQ, and then suck our plans right outta the poor soldiers' brains! And then they suck their brains out, too!"

Kelkikt shivers. "Anyway, I think the training's startin' to pay off. We ain't nearly as sorry as we were a few weeks ago, thanks ta th' leadership of Zarrex here..."

Kelkikt glances uneasily at the undead creature.

"Say, did the chaplain say anything about being able ta fix you up? Not meaning ta pry..."

Acquisitives

Female Pahtra Witchwarper / 1

Finishing her cup of tea and her long list of messages, she tunes up the dampener on her ear com piece and narrows her eyes as she prepares for the routine of Zarrex’s morning wake up call. Nodding slightly to Zarrex, she pulls out her outfit and gear and begins to lay it out on the bed. As Kelkikt mentions Swarm activities, Kita’s ears perk up as she focuses on the conversation for a moment.
You know, that’s probably why the SDF has been outmatched at almost every engagement and loosing troops faster than they can recruit them. Probably why they are prepping to evacuate off-world soon. Of course, that doesn’t explain what could be causing psychic disruption to the swarm. Maybe it’s the planet… maybe something else. Could be why the swarm are so intent on taking this ball of rock.
Sliding her armored suit over her shoulders, she fastens the bodice of her second skin and straps on her holster. Reviewing her pistol, she verifies that the safety is on and the clip is loaded before holstering her sidearm.
Damnit Enroot! Get up! Kitty is hungry and I’m not taking her outside again. Not after last time.
She flashes a smile over to Zarrex.
Ready to go sir! Let’s get out there and have some fun killin’ bugs… or whatever it is you soldier types do.

Second Seekers (Jadnura)

Conditions:
None
Stats:
Raxilite Envoy 1 (HP 8/8 | SP 6/6 | RP 4/4 | KAC/EAC 13/14 | Fort:+0 | Ref:+5 | Will:+2 | Init:+3 | Perc: +4 | Speed: 30
Pet Stats:
Yasakaja Animal Companion 1 (HP 10/10 | KAC/EAC 11/14 | Fort:+1 | Ref:+4 | Will:+1 | Init:+2 | Perc: +5 | Speed: 50 / 30 Climb

Little Foot watches silently as each member wakes and preps for the day. As the strange dead man gets up he knows that its time to begin the day. He sits up with his face next to Enoot. As soon as the dead man starts yelling Enoot pulls the covers over it's face. Little Foot promptly pulls them back down allowing no respite from the noise and light. As much as Enoot fights to pull them up Little Foot is clearly the victor...again. Reluctantly Enoot gets up and gets ready. Little Foot proceeds to the dead mans lab, sits, and waits.

Murrr, brain bugs huh, not what I heard but I suppose it could be.
I heard that the Swarm is controlled by an extraplanar coalition of demons who want to destroy as much of the galaxy as possible but that the reason they are targeting Suskillon itself is because of a rare mineral in the soil that they need to survive. You know what they say about army's and food.

Enoot looks at Kita and wonders to itself if she is ever going to get Enoot's name right or if maybe Enoot should just get it legally changed, which Enoot ponders might be the easier task. Enoot finishes getting ready and heads over to Little Foot to wait for attunement.

It is clear that Little Foot is the responsible one in such a military setting and that although Enoot is doing "okay" the physically demanding nature of basic training is not his thing. Also not sure if Kita is saying his name wrong or if keith is spelling it wrong so I just rolled with it.

Acquisitives

Female Pahtra Witchwarper / 1

Kita totally pronounced your name right. Or she could go back to calling you talking flower. Maybe it's just her accent, it does sound British.

Exo-Guardians

Undead?
Stats:
Varculak (Shirren) 1 | HP 9/9 | SP 7/7 | RP 4/4 | KAC/EAC 13/12 | Fort:+3 | Ref:+2 | Will:+0 | Init:+2 | Perc: +7 | Speed: 30 / 30
Conditions:
None

As Zarrex goes through the attunement scanning process they listen to everyone else’s stories before speaking, beginning with Kelkikt.

First of all, they say as they make eye contact with Kelkikt, I’m going to assume you just don’t know any better, but my spiritual matters are my own. You don’t need to ask about them. I don’t withhold necessary information from my squad. If we can’t trust each other to be forthright with critical information we may as well surrender this planet to the swarm now.

As he continues his work he breaks eye contact with Kelkikt and talks to the group around them.

If you all haven’t figured it out yet, rumors run rampant, especially in a place like this where everybody is in the dark and desperate to know something....anything. Folks start filling in the gaps with their own version of things. Some folks make things up entirely for the appearance of being in the know. Others tend to remember slightly different versions of the truth. I’ve heard some things as well, but I’d encourage you to take them with a grain of seasoning. There’s no telling how much embellishment or misinformation may have found its way into these rumors. I can’t personally confirm them.

There is a rumor that if Brinnoa falls, SDF command has plans to shower the continent with nuclear bombs, even if civilians and soldiers are caught in the blast.

Additionally, some folks claim to have seen a massive, multi-headed creature they say controls the Swarm invasion force. It is the size of a skyscraper and can kill anything within a mile using only its mind.

Do with that what you will. The attunement is complete. We’ve got about 10 minutes until things get started today. Double check your that all of your things are in order, grab a bite and form up for the day’s activities. I’m sure we’ve got our work cut out for us.

Having completed their daily preparations, Zarrex heads toward the exit to grab a quick bite of chow to go.

Silver Crusade

Finally, the training is over. After one more exhausting day of workouts, Drill Instructor Tan stands before the assembled recruits as the sun sets over Camp Cavalier, bathing the snow-covered training grounds in a chilled orange twilight.

"You might feel invincible after trainin', but this is real life now, and it ain't nothin' like your precious little simulations. Ain't no test scores here, and ain't no do-overs. If those monsters bring you down, chances are you won't be gettin' back up. They might look like nothing more than big bugs - Hells, they might even act like it - but they're not. No way. No more'n I am. They might not be smarter than you, or faster than you, or even stronger than you, but by Hylax, they are meaner than you! Don't think twice about killin' 'em. You can bet your nethers they're not thinkin' twice about killin' you."

At the end of what, for him, passes as a rousing inspirational speech, he begins calling off names for unit assignments. Most are assigned to forward combat units, and a few to support commands. One poor shirren, missing one antenna and most of an arm, is sent off to the kitchen.

Only four are left unassigned. Tan waits until the last few stragglers are out of earshot before addressing them,

"Zarrex, Kita, Enoot, Kelkikt. Y'all four showed some mighty good promise out here. So much you attracted the attention of the big lizard himself. Major Jaldamarrak has requested your presence in his ready room at 1830 hours. I know you'll do me proud out there. Go squash some bugs, Privates. Dismissed!"

With a stiff salute, Instructor Tan releases you to move on.

You only have about 10 minutes to get to the Major's ready room, so you're going to have to walk straight there. You can give me a Culture check to recall knowledge about Major Jaldamarrak.
Let me know if you have appropriate theme knowledge.

Exo-Guardians

Undead?
Stats:
Varculak (Shirren) 1 | HP 9/9 | SP 7/7 | RP 4/4 | KAC/EAC 13/12 | Fort:+3 | Ref:+2 | Will:+0 | Init:+2 | Perc: +7 | Speed: 30 / 30
Conditions:
None

Let’s go. This must be important. Remember to address the Major as Sir or Major. Our meeting is in 10 minutes, so let’s get there in 5.
Zarrex grabs their gear and heads directly to Major Jaldamarrak’s office.

Acquisitives

Female Pahtra Witchwarper / 1

As she is dismissed, Kita slips some of her leftover breakfast out of her pack and holds it out for Little Foot.
Here Kitty… remember, don’t eat other kitties.
She scratches Little Foot under the chin. Kita then swings the pack back over her shoulder and pulls on the straps.
I hope the Major has something interesting for us to do. I’m ready to get out there and see what is going on.
As she moves quickly behind Zarrex, Kita tries to recall any interesting things she may have read or observed recently.
Culture: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12
Not likely to be important here, but if so (Reduce the DC of Culture checks to recall knowledge about artistic innovations and traditions by 5.)

Second Seekers (Jadnura)

Conditions:
None
Stats:
Raxilite Envoy 1 (HP 8/8 | SP 6/6 | RP 4/4 | KAC/EAC 13/14 | Fort:+0 | Ref:+5 | Will:+2 | Init:+3 | Perc: +4 | Speed: 30
Pet Stats:
Yasakaja Animal Companion 1 (HP 10/10 | KAC/EAC 11/14 | Fort:+1 | Ref:+4 | Will:+1 | Init:+2 | Perc: +5 | Speed: 50 / 30 Climb

Enoot mounts Little Foot and falls in line.

Culture: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 181d6 ⇒ 4

Theme of Career Soldier if it plays -- You are adept at telling fact from fiction when it comes to determining enemy movements and assessing rumors. Reduce the DC of any Culture or Diplomacy check to gather or recall information about enemy troop sizes and tactics by 5.

Silver Crusade

The ready room is sparsely furnished. A table full of maps and datapads is flanked by two simple metal chairs.

An imposing vesk with dark green scales stands behind the desk as the team enters. His silvery spikes point forward, forming a sort of beard. One of his eyes has been replaced by a large cybernetic implant, giving off a bright orange glow. He inspects the team and their kit as they file into the chamber for a moment, before beginning to lecture:

"I am your new commanding officer, Jaldammarak, and I was killing Swarm before you were clutching your mothers' tails. I know more about this enemy than every soft-skin general in this system, and I know for a fact that we are losing this war. You've probably heard that over the last seven days, the Swarm has retreated from three smaller cities to the east of Brinnoa, and the media and the SDF alike are calling this a turning point for the war, but I know better. Those vexers are up to something, and I"m not letting the Fifth Battalion get caught with their spacesuits around their ankles.

You're now part of what I'm calling the Midnight Squad. For your first assignment, you'll patrol the Delta Escaprment a few miles west of Camp Cavalier from sundown to sun-up and report back with any unusual activity. Any questions?"

Feel free to barrage him with questions, and I'll answer them all at once.

Exo-Guardians

Undead?
Stats:
Varculak (Shirren) 1 | HP 9/9 | SP 7/7 | RP 4/4 | KAC/EAC 13/12 | Fort:+3 | Ref:+2 | Will:+0 | Init:+2 | Perc: +7 | Speed: 30 / 30
Conditions:
None

Sir, I would like to requisition a patrol vehicle with a planetary comm unit to enhance early warning and detection capability, as well as providing room for additional provisions.

As the primarch for Midnight Sqaud, it is my duty to inform our superiors that although we are ready, willing and able to follow all orders as they are issued, we will be operating at reduced effectiveness. We were not afforded the opportunity to properly regenerate our energy stores and correct our circadian rhythms for the mission at hand. If we start this evening, which we are more than capable of doing, we will be fatigued and bordering on exhaustion going into our first shift. If we are to start immediately, I would also like to requisition excitants and stimulants for each of us.

May I see the latest intel brief on the Delta Escarpment?

Do you have any suspicions as to what the swarm might be up to?

Are work-rest cycles authorized during our acclimation period?

Will we be provided with night vision equipment. I am concerned because not all of my squad have a natural ability to see in the dark and I believe using flashlights to highlight ourselves on a mission where we are supposed to observe without being observed would jeopardize the mission you have set forth for us.

Thank you for the opportunity to advance our defenses, rather than relax during the calm before a proverbial storm, sir.

Acquisitives

Female Pahtra Witchwarper / 1

Kita stretches out her arms as she leans back on her heals, placing her hands in a resting position behind her back.
Oh, night ops! I like it! We can be all sneaky and keep an eye on what the swarm are doing.
Leaning her head to one side, Kita glances at Zarrex and smiles before turning back to face the major.
Major Sir, what do we know about this Delta Escaprment and about the recent retreat from these small cities? Could it be a feint for some other action? I’m a little bit familiar with distraction and this sounds like a trap to me.

Silver Crusade

Zarrex wrote:
Sir, I would like to requisition a patrol vehicle with a planetary comm unit to enhance early warning and detection capability, as well as providing room for additional provisions.

"Sorry son, request denied. We have very few combat capable vehicles left, and the few that aren't currently deployed are being repaired to meet the next wave."

Zarrex wrote:

If we are to start immediately, I would also like to requisition excitants and stimulants for each of us.

Are work-rest cycles authorized during our acclimation period?

"I thought you might ask that. Go see the quartermaster to get some Wake-Up Patches. These things are potent, but they're like a shot in the heart, and will help prevent fatigue. They're perfectly safe to take... in the short term. Just be sure not to make it a habit."

A Wake-up Patch is level 2 item, 100 credits, L bulk. This patch delivers a cocktail of stimulants when applied to an appendage or torso as a standard action. After 1 minute, the person who received the patch gains a +2 circumstance bonus to saving throws against effects that cause the asleep condition and to Fortitude saves from sleep deprivation for 24 hours. If you use three wake-up patches in a week, you immediately gain the exhausted condition when the effects of the third patch wear off.

Zarrex wrote:
May I see the latest intel brief on the Delta Escarpment?

"Our latest reports show nothing, and that's hopefully what you will find. If you spot any evidence of creatures not native to Suskillon, report back immediately."

Zarrex wrote:
Do you have any suspicions as to what the swarm might be up to?
Kita wrote:
Major Sir, what do we know about this Delta Escaprment and about the recent retreat from these small cities? Could it be a feint for some other action?

"I've fought the Swarm on a handful of fronts, and every time, they were different. But even here on Suskillon, there's something... more cunning about these critters. Like they've got a purpose other than just killing everything in their field of view. We're seeing a number of new variations in their ranks, including the expendable scouts we're calling 'dredgers'."

Zarrex wrote:
Will we be provided with night vision equipment?

"I understand your request. Unfortunately, night vision equipment is about as rare as vehicles at the moment. Visit the quartermaster to make sure you have everything you'll need for 13 hours of patrol duty: a light source, clothing to withstand the cold weather, though your armor's environmental protections should be enough for the night. And perhaps something to help keep you awake."

Exo-Guardians

Undead?
Stats:
Varculak (Shirren) 1 | HP 9/9 | SP 7/7 | RP 4/4 | KAC/EAC 13/12 | Fort:+3 | Ref:+2 | Will:+0 | Init:+2 | Perc: +7 | Speed: 30 / 30
Conditions:
None

Trying to recall as much knowledge about them as they can, Zarrex asks Sir, I have very little recollection of my past life in the SDF. Have I encountered these 'dredgers' before? What can you tell us about them?

Life Science: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23

Is our first shift right now or do we have time to rest before our first shift?


Kelkikt salutes smartly and listens to the briefing. He then mentally projects, "Sir, if we encounter swarm scounts, you want us to take care of them or disengage and report back first? I ask to be perfectly clear on our priorities, sir!"

He stands awaiting further instructions.

Silver Crusade

Zarrex wrote:
"Have I encountered these 'dredgers' before? What can you tell us about them?"

"Ah, they're nasty little critters. About the size of a khefak (Small), but they burrow right under you. They've got barbed jaws that latch onto you and take you down in a matter of moments. But just like any Swarm component, they die if you put enough rounds into them. My kill count is 112 since joining the war, but there always seem to be two more ready to take a dead one's place."

Zarrex wrote:
Is our first shift right now or do we have time to rest before our first shift?

"You have about one hour before I want you out the gates. I know this is stressful, but we're trying to get the upper hand here. I really want to know what the Swarm is up to before it's too late. We very well could lose this war."

Kelkikt wrote:
"Sir, if we encounter swarm scouts, you want us to take care of them or disengage and report back first? I ask to be perfectly clear on our priorities, sir!"

"Take them out. If you don't kill them, they'll kill you or worse, follow you back to camp."

Exo-Guardians

Undead?
Stats:
Varculak (Shirren) 1 | HP 9/9 | SP 7/7 | RP 4/4 | KAC/EAC 13/12 | Fort:+3 | Ref:+2 | Will:+0 | Init:+2 | Perc: +7 | Speed: 30 / 30
Conditions:
None

After waiting a few moments to see if anyone has any more questions, as soon as we're all done asking questions, Zarrex speaks up and says Yes sir! We'll make preparations with the quartermaster and move out right away!. They give a salute, about-face, and exit headed directly toward the quartermaster.

Second Seekers (Jadnura)

Conditions:
None
Stats:
Raxilite Envoy 1 (HP 8/8 | SP 6/6 | RP 4/4 | KAC/EAC 13/14 | Fort:+0 | Ref:+5 | Will:+2 | Init:+3 | Perc: +4 | Speed: 30
Pet Stats:
Yasakaja Animal Companion 1 (HP 10/10 | KAC/EAC 11/14 | Fort:+1 | Ref:+4 | Will:+1 | Init:+2 | Perc: +5 | Speed: 50 / 30 Climb

Sir, you have mentioned losing the war twice now, with your vast experience fighting the swarm, is it really a possibility?

Acquisitives

Female Pahtra Witchwarper / 1

Sir, I know of your time in the Veskarium and your service with the Stewards. You have served with honor. If I may ask, what brought you out here?

Silver Crusade

Enoot wrote:
Sir, you have mentioned losing the war twice now, with your vast experience fighting the swarm, is it really a possibility?

Jaldammarak sucks some air through his teeth. "The signs aren't good. But that doesn't mean we're finished. If you complete your patrols and report any and all pertinent intelligence back to me, I will make sure high command knows what us troopers are facing here on the ground."

Enoot can sense that the Major is holding something back.

After a few moments the vesk shakes his head and says, "I've been in a lot of battles in my time, and I've seen what the Swarm can do. It's not a matter of if this planet is going to fall... but how many Swarm we can kill before they eat us alive. Do you understand me, soldier?"

Kita wrote:
Sir, I know of your time in the Veskarium and your service with the Stewards. You have served with honor. If I may ask, what brought you out here?

"There's nothing I'm better at than swatting bugs. Wherever the Swarm shows their ugly faces, I'm there to punch them in. Fighting vexers is my one calling in life, by Damoritosh's doshko!


Kelkikt telepathically yelps in surprise and almost breaks rank decorum.

"What? But... Sir, are you saying there isn't a chance to save the planet? That can't be true, we have the entire SDF ready to fight against them! How can we have already lost? There has to be something we can do!"

Silver Crusade

The Major turns both his biological and cybernetic eyes to look at Kelkikt.

"We do what we're assigned to do, soldier, until the end. I need you to realize that we can't save everyone, but we damn well are gonna try."

Acquisitives

Female Pahtra Witchwarper / 1

As Kita readies to leave, she places her right fist over her chest and bows slightly and says something in Vesk:

In Vesk:
We will do our duty, Sir. Death before dishonor!


The Quartermaster is in the camp's central armory. The sun is getting real low in the sky as Midnight Squad enters the warehouse.

A slender man with a datapad stands near the front door. He turns to the team as they enter. "Come to requisition something, soldiers? Due to the supply shortages, I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to pay out of pocket for anything you need."

Exo-Guardians

Undead?
Stats:
Varculak (Shirren) 1 | HP 9/9 | SP 7/7 | RP 4/4 | KAC/EAC 13/12 | Fort:+3 | Ref:+2 | Will:+0 | Init:+2 | Perc: +7 | Speed: 30 / 30
Conditions:
None

Zarrex looks at the quartermaster suspiciously after being promised some Wake-up Patches by the Major.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17

"Quartermaster, good to see you. I don't think we need much in the way of supplies, but Major Jaldamarrak did instruct us to 'go see the quartermaster to get some Wake-Up Patches,' so we're just here to claim a few of those and we'll be on our way."


The quartermaster frowns. "My orders are to take payment for any requisitions. But, if the Major said..." he trails off, before shrugging his shoulders and typing something into his datapad, seemingly ignoring Zarrex for a full minute.

Without looking up, his eyebrows raise in surprise and he suddenly says "Huh. It got approved. Well, they're on shelf 41A, to the right side. Big green package, code 'M0N5-TAR' on it. Be sure to scan the shelf with your IDENT when you grab 'em. Good luck out there!"

Everyone can have little a Wake-up Patch, as a treat.

Acquisitives

Female Pahtra Witchwarper / 1

Kita walks up to the counter, smiling broadly.
Is your fabricator working? I need to get these new patches printed for our uniforms. I personally would have gone with Night Watch myself but the Major seemed fond of Midnight Squad.
Diplomacy (under effect of charming veneer): 1d20 + 7 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 7 + 1 = 26

Second Seekers (Jadnura)

Conditions:
None
Stats:
Raxilite Envoy 1 (HP 8/8 | SP 6/6 | RP 4/4 | KAC/EAC 13/14 | Fort:+0 | Ref:+5 | Will:+2 | Init:+3 | Perc: +4 | Speed: 30
Pet Stats:
Yasakaja Animal Companion 1 (HP 10/10 | KAC/EAC 11/14 | Fort:+1 | Ref:+4 | Will:+1 | Init:+2 | Perc: +5 | Speed: 50 / 30 Climb

Enoot is asleep on Little Foot, his vines entangled in the saddle so he does not fall off. Little Foot is just following Kita around.

Exo-Guardians

Undead?
Stats:
Varculak (Shirren) 1 | HP 9/9 | SP 7/7 | RP 4/4 | KAC/EAC 13/12 | Fort:+3 | Ref:+2 | Will:+0 | Init:+2 | Perc: +7 | Speed: 30 / 30
Conditions:
None

Thank you, Quartermaster.

Xellic grabs the package, scans their IDENT, and places it in their bag. They then proceed over to Enoot and wake them indifferently.

Go get your patches and scan your IDENT.

Zarrex steps outside, ready to begin the trek.

Second Seekers (Jadnura)

Conditions:
None
Stats:
Raxilite Envoy 1 (HP 8/8 | SP 6/6 | RP 4/4 | KAC/EAC 13/14 | Fort:+0 | Ref:+5 | Will:+2 | Init:+3 | Perc: +4 | Speed: 30
Pet Stats:
Yasakaja Animal Companion 1 (HP 10/10 | KAC/EAC 11/14 | Fort:+1 | Ref:+4 | Will:+1 | Init:+2 | Perc: +5 | Speed: 50 / 30 Climb

Enoot grabs the package, scans their IDENT, and places it in their bag.

Thank you sir.

Enoot steps outside.

Figured I should sleep now so I am good tonight.

1 to 50 of 71 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / SFSTL Attack Of The Swarm! All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.