Ire of the Storm by GM Rutseg

Game Master Balacertar

Chapter 1 - THE DELUGE

Current map
Pridon's Hearth map
Korir River Delta map

Treasure sheet


1 to 50 of 347 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>

Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Chapter 1: The Deluge

15th Abadius 4716 AR - Desperation Bay

The Kaava Cutter's keel cuts through the crystalline waters of Desperation Bay in a cloudy day. The Sargavan naval vessel has left Port Freedom with the first rays of the day. As each month, the Kaava Cutter has initiated its detour from its weekly service between Eleder and Port Freedom to visit Sargava's southernmost and newest colony, Pridon's Hearth.

Even after the day off at Port Freedom most of the passage in the vessel come from Sargava's capital, but there are a few individuals that boarded at the smaller port. From here on the rules of civilization become fuzzy while the unmerciful laws of wild nature dictate sentence. There is no other right in Sargava's frontier but that one to fight for survival and progress.

Aside from you, at least another twelve passengers travel in the Kaava Cutter, and most of that people are indentured laborers traveling with a minor noble from Sargava's capital called Gallio Menius. It was difficult to ignore the man as his servants loaded and moved around boxes and farming equipment to the dismay and frustration of the ship captain.

As the morning progresses you decide to check the dinning room below decks, where you have heard the cooker serves moonshine in preparation for lunch time. As you all arrive, you find out the only other person in the dinning room is a Mwangi, a dark skinned and short woman, with a slender muscular frame and wiry black hair. She is dressed in simple clothing made from animal hides and overtly ignores you while she drinks from a stained wooden cup.

You hear up the boots of someone descending from the opposite stairs, and when you turn to check, you find out some of the other passengers are coming downstairs to gather around the table. Perhaps this might be a good moment to introduce yourself and get to know each other, after all, it is probable they will soon be your neighbors and fight alongside with you to build a future in this remote and little piece of Golarion.


Male Gnome Nature Oracle 1 Unchained Barbarian 1| HP: 7/20 1 str dmg | AC: 20 (21) T: 15 (16) FF: 16 (17) bracketed numbers are in melee vs size medium+ | Saves F:4 R:-1 W:2 | Init: -1 | Perc: 6 (low-light)| CMB: 1 CMD:15 | Speed: 20 ft | conditions: none

Ingolf went down the stairs to the dining room. He smiled at the Mwangi woman sitting there and said hello, but she didn't respond. Not the talkative type, I guess. He took a seat at a table, just as more people started arriving.

Ingolf was a young gnome, three and a half feet tall, with a stocky build. His blue eyes were matched by his blue beard, and his rustic clothing gave the impression of someone you might find living in a shack in the woods. He greeted the first newcomer to the dining room in a cheery voice, "Hello, I'm Ingolf; very pleased to meet you!"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
M Human Druid (Restorer) 2 - HP 17/17 - AC 17 - TAC 12 - FF 15 - CMD 12 - Init +2 - Fort +5 - Ref +2 - Will +6 (+2 storm effects) - Perc +8 - SM +11 - Wind 6/6 - Hero Points 2/3

Splits the leaves had been on the boat for a while now and knew full well what tomorrow's weather was going to bring. He had always known, like it was a part of him; natural as breathing or eating or sleeping. He stepped belowdecks to get some food and immediately saw the Mwangi woman and a small gnome. Noticing her hides and giving her a quick nod, the masked druid approached the gnome for a conversation that may be a little different than what he was used to. That wasn't to say that he didn't like talking with others that had a connection to nature, but he got along better with the common folk with their common problems. It was one of the reasons he became a weather-watcher, and why he tried to emulate the Old-Mage as much as possible.

Unlike the gnome, he very much looked like someone who lived in the woods. His stone-faced demeanor hid a wise and caring man and he moved slowly with the aid of his walking stick, the dripping leaf of Gozreh clearly visible on its top. If one looked close enough it almost looked like his hair moved in a nonexistent breeze.

"I have been named Splits the Leaves. It is a pleasure to meet you as well Ingolf." Giving him a deep bow he made the effort to not call him young despite the size; he knew better than doing such a thing. "What brings you to on this journey?" He let the question linger, people were talkative if you let them be and there was always much to learn from them. He prided himself on his ability to read people, and more importantly solve their needs if it helped maintain the balance of the world and taught a valuable lesson.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Human Ranger 2| HP 12/16 | AC 17/14/13| CMB +4| CMD 18| F +3| R +7| W +1| Init +4 Per +5| Longbow +6 (1d8)

Jonah enters the room abruply, taking in the scene with his hands on his hips. He looks for the promised moonshine, but does not see anything being served yet. there are two tables with people at them.

initially he steps towards the mwangi woman, intending to strike up a conversation and ask questions about what animals her hides are made from, but he catches her hint that she doesn't want to talk. and what was the fun of mingling if you didn't want to talk?!

so instead he sits at the second table with a masked human and a gnome

"Hello there! mind if I join? he doesn't wait for an answer, he just grabs a chair and spins it around, sitting backwards on it. "Name's Jonah.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Gnome Nature Oracle 1 Unchained Barbarian 1| HP: 7/20 1 str dmg | AC: 20 (21) T: 15 (16) FF: 16 (17) bracketed numbers are in melee vs size medium+ | Saves F:4 R:-1 W:2 | Init: -1 | Perc: 6 (low-light)| CMB: 1 CMD:15 | Speed: 20 ft | conditions: none

Ingolf replied to Splits the Leaves, "I'm going to be mapping the area around the colony. While I'm at it, I think I'm going to make a list of the plants and animals in the area. How about you?" He didn't mention the other reason that he was going: to learn more about his curse. The only person who even knew about his curse was Corcyra, the Naiad who had been a friend of his grandfather.

He greeted Jonah, saying, "Ingolf, pleased to meet you!"


Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

When Ingolf answers Splits, the short woman raises her head from the wooden cup and looks intently at Ingolf.

K. geography or K. local DC 12:

The looks and style of the woman tells you she is a Zenj. A subgroup of Mwangis, cousins of Garundis. They are believed to be the most common of the Mwangi ethnicities, living in hundreds of small tribes in the jungles and savannas of the Mwangi Expanse. Some of the tribes live in villages alongside the region's many rivers, while others are nomadic herders who graze their cattle or goats in the Expanse's grasslands and hills. Jungle tribes tend to be patriarchal, while savanna tribes lean toward matriarchy.

You do identify the long club at her belt as a throwing weapon called iwisa, used as a symbol of authority as well as a weapon.

You hear noises coming from the kitchen just an instant before the door opens and a half-toothless man appears with an apron smeared in blood and a bottle of moonshine in the hand. His half-broken voice booms in the dinning room "See that, it seems we have a bunch of true sailors with us!" the man takes wooden cups and places one in front of each of you pouring a shot of liquor on each of them "Those clouds promise a bustling trip, better ensure your mind does not know why it is dizzy. And it will also open your hunger" the man breaks in a booming laugh.


Male Gnome Nature Oracle 1 Unchained Barbarian 1| HP: 7/20 1 str dmg | AC: 20 (21) T: 15 (16) FF: 16 (17) bracketed numbers are in melee vs size medium+ | Saves F:4 R:-1 W:2 | Init: -1 | Perc: 6 (low-light)| CMB: 1 CMD:15 | Speed: 20 ft | conditions: none

Knowledge Geography: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23

Ingolf wondered why the woman is so interested in him now, after she ignored him earlier. After she looked away, he said in a low voice to the two men sitting with him, "That woman sitting by herself must be someone important; she carries a throwing club called an iwisa, which is a symbol of authority. She's an ethic Zenj, if I'm not mistaken."

He accepted the moonshine from the cook, and tasted it; he wanted to know how strong it was before downing it.


M Human Druid (Restorer) 2 - HP 17/17 - AC 17 - TAC 12 - FF 15 - CMD 12 - Init +2 - Fort +5 - Ref +2 - Will +6 (+2 storm effects) - Perc +8 - SM +11 - Wind 6/6 - Hero Points 2/3

The druid thinks on the answer before saying anything. With the whirlwind newcomer, he lets out a quiet breath. "All are welcome. We all have our place here at this table." Turning back to the gnome he considers his answer and speaks slowly, "There is a weather pattern that I have found to be a little... Unusual. I am going as Gozreh wills." He says nothing further on the subject, expecting that he may worry them with tales of doom. "I know a thing or two of plant life, perhaps we can trade some notes if you would like."

K: Geo: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25

He looks toward the Mwangi woman and the young gnome, "You are correct. I am surprised at your knowledge of the culture and customs." Turning toward the cook he offers a hand of no thanks, "Thank you but I am satiated as is. When on the great waters it is best to keep one's wits about them self. A single moment is all it takes for the water to consume you if you do not treat it with dignity." Turning to Jonah, the druid gives him a measured gaze, "And what of you? This ship and Sargava seem a perfect place for one such as yourself." The statement is vague, but not cold. The man struck him as a hunter of some sort, and such people could bode ill will or good; and he was determined to know what it was.

Curious, what does the weather look like tomorrow?


Female Human Inquisitor (Sanctified Slayer) 2 | HP:15 | AC:16 TAC:13 CMB: +2 CMD: 15 | Fort4+ Ref+3 Will+5 | Init +5 Perception +7 | Hero Points: 2|

Slowly making her way belowdecks as she finishes applying the wrapping covering her arms, Adriana gives a polite nod of greeting to the assembled group in the mess hall, having arrived just in time for moonshine it seemed. "Greetings, shipmates." she says in her pleasant monotone, downing the moonshine in a single gulp and grimacing a little as she sits down.

"...Robust." she finally says of the moonshine as she gets comfortable in her seat, the rough warmth of the moonshine lingering in her throat. She's content to sit and listen as the others talk, finding the eclectic group of individuals far more enjoyable company than Gallio Menius - she found the noble insufferable.


Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Splits:

After checking the clouds and observing the winds of the nearby Eye of Abendego, you conclude tomorrow there will be soft rains with sunny spots in the region.

Ingolf finds out the beverage tastes charmingly foul. The cooker laughs when Splits reject the liquor "Ah, really, are you gonna let the gnome to beat you?" he negates with the head then nods in approval when Adriana drinks the moonshine in a single gulp "There we have. A real sailor" the cooker turns back to the kitchen chuckling.

While you warm up with the drinks and conversation the Zenj woman finally stands up, the wooden cup at hand, and approaches to your group, sitting next to Ingolf "I have heard you are planning to map the Korir River Delta and write up about plants and so... those lands are savage. If you are serious about it, you are going to need someone able to protect you out there from starvation and beasts" the woman stares at the gnome like inspecting his soul "I have worked before as a guide and hunter for caravans and expeditions. My name is Umuzu. I am moving to Pridon's Hearth to make a new living and so, I might be interested in some work"

At that moment you heard some noises coming from the kitchen, like if a large pan had fallen and the cooker cursing "Besmara take you!" followed by a hit against something heavy.


Male Gnome Nature Oracle 1 Unchained Barbarian 1| HP: 7/20 1 str dmg | AC: 20 (21) T: 15 (16) FF: 16 (17) bracketed numbers are in melee vs size medium+ | Saves F:4 R:-1 W:2 | Init: -1 | Perc: 6 (low-light)| CMB: 1 CMD:15 | Speed: 20 ft | conditions: none

Ingolf replied, "Pleased to meet you, Umuzu; my name is Ingolf. I'll keep your offer in mind. I don't suppose you know anything about Lizardfolk in the Korir River Delta region?" He was particularly interested in a tribe called the Mireborn, but didn't want to go into details with someone he'd just met.

When he heard the commotion in the kitchen, Ingolf perked up his ears, listening to figure out what might be going on.

Perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9


Female Human Inquisitor (Sanctified Slayer) 2 | HP:15 | AC:16 TAC:13 CMB: +2 CMD: 15 | Fort4+ Ref+3 Will+5 | Init +5 Perception +7 | Hero Points: 2|

Fiddling with her empty cup and waiting for the moonshine's burn to pass Adriana takes the cook's compliment in stride; there were worse things to be considered than a sailor - much worse.

Umuzu's joining them at the table she did not expect, the Zenji woman had kept to herself for most of the trip, and she would have had some questins for the reserved woman had the sudden exclamation from the kitchen grabs everyone's attention, standing up and judging if she should make her way into the kitchen.

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7


M Human Druid (Restorer) 2 - HP 17/17 - AC 17 - TAC 12 - FF 15 - CMD 12 - Init +2 - Fort +5 - Ref +2 - Will +6 (+2 storm effects) - Perc +8 - SM +11 - Wind 6/6 - Hero Points 2/3

The one named Splits the Leaves looks toward the cook with disdain, "If this is a contest I do not understand its purpose. It seems not only wasteful but dangerous; the sea claims faster than mankind in a new land." Looking at the newest newcomer, the druid turns to her eyeing the bandages with curiosity. "And what have you been named? I am the one they call Splits the Leaves. It would be a pleasure to know your name."

Heal: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20 Flavour Heal check on the wounds.

He wondered what brought this one onboard the ship. No doubt there will be tales to be told, but he turned his eyes at the hunter again, He seems like one who will no doubt have stories to tell.

Catching himself on the boat's rocking and taking a quick look out one of the ports, the druid realizes what the weather holds. With a smile and a nod he gives quiet thanks to Gozreh and listens closely as the Mwangi woman approaches.

Standing and offering a short bow he introduces himself, "Umuzu, if it is a living you seek I may have some work if Ingolf does not. I cannot offer much in terms of payment sadly, but I can offer my assistance in other ways should you be interested." Noticing the weapon he continues, "I do not wish to assume you the farming type however, but I would like my skills to be open as a springtime flower."


Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Umuzu greets both Ingolf and Splits "This will be my first visit to the region, and I have many things to learn still. But there are a couple of Lizardfolk tribes living in the Laughing Jungle. With the brutal Blackbruise Brood boggards recent attacks it would not be strange some of the lizardfolks had been displaced south of the Korir and closer to the delta"

The Zenji woman nods to Splits "I am interested to know once you have something more clear. My plan is to make a new life in Pridon's Hearth selling my services as a guide to exploration teams that set forth from the town"

Your conversation is abruptly interrupted with new noises and shouts coming from the kitchen followed by an "Oink! Oink!" and the sudden opening of the doors. The cooker breaks into the dinning room with a large knife in his hands running towards you seeking protection "Stop that beast!"

A small boar covered by a pan makes its appearance at the doorstep orientates his pan-head towards the cooker after sniffing the air and scratches the floor with his back leg "Oink! Oink!"

The cooker places his knife forward between him and the boar "Rats! It's f##@ing crazy!"


Male Gnome Nature Oracle 1 Unchained Barbarian 1| HP: 7/20 1 str dmg | AC: 20 (21) T: 15 (16) FF: 16 (17) bracketed numbers are in melee vs size medium+ | Saves F:4 R:-1 W:2 | Init: -1 | Perc: 6 (low-light)| CMB: 1 CMD:15 | Speed: 20 ft | conditions: none

Ingolf jumped to his feet and moved forward towards the boar (it occurred to him that it should be the one terrified, not the cook). "It's OK — I'm not going to hurt you," he told the animal in a soothing voice.

Handle Animal: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7


Female Human Inquisitor (Sanctified Slayer) 2 | HP:15 | AC:16 TAC:13 CMB: +2 CMD: 15 | Fort4+ Ref+3 Will+5 | Init +5 Perception +7 | Hero Points: 2|

"Adriana." she answers Splits, distracted by the commotion in the kitchen and taken aback by the appearance of both the cook and a live boar. The journey was certainly lively.

@Splits - Her bandages are more for presentation than healing at this point since they stay on for far longer than necessary.

Her hand grips the hilt of her scimitar firmly but she doesn't draw her blade yet - she wants to give Ingolf time to work with the boar.


Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Although the boar does not calm down, Ingolf appreciates a bright of intelligence in the boar's eyes as the small creature seems to nod at him.

"Ah there you have it! Well done!" the cooker smiles and makes a step forward "Hold it there! The f~&&ing stubborn thing is delaying tonight's lunch!"

Umuzu gently places her hand over Adriana's arm while she stares at the scene.


Human Ranger 2| HP 12/16 | AC 17/14/13| CMB +4| CMD 18| F +3| R +7| W +1| Init +4 Per +5| Longbow +6 (1d8)

sorry for the delay in posting, crazy week at work followed by a birthday party for my 4 year old!

Jonah listens intently as the mwangi woman talks, and slams back some of the moonshine. it is not the best he's ever had but certainly not the worst! he almost interrupts the woman to say that he would be more than capable of handling protection and tracking on his own, but something about her makes him not want to push it. He can see the wisdom in bringing along someone who is more familiar with the area.

You talk about lizard folk, but have you seen any bigger lizards? dinosaurs perhaps? a greedy look glints in his eye.

of course that is before the conversation is completely derailed by a rampaging pig! Jonah hops up, a knife in hand to assist in capturing dinner!


Male Gnome Nature Oracle 1 Unchained Barbarian 1| HP: 7/20 1 str dmg | AC: 20 (21) T: 15 (16) FF: 16 (17) bracketed numbers are in melee vs size medium+ | Saves F:4 R:-1 W:2 | Init: -1 | Perc: 6 (low-light)| CMB: 1 CMD:15 | Speed: 20 ft | conditions: none

Ingolf crouched down and held up his hand, motioning the others to stay back, then moved the fingers of his other hand and started grunting!

Speak with Animals:
"Hello, there — my name is Ingolf. You're a smart one, aren't you? I'm not going yet anyone hurt you."

Using the Gnome Magic racial ability to cast Speak with Animals.


Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Umuzu turns to Jonah and whispers, not willing for her words to resolve the tension of the scene "Dinosaurs? Oh, yes, deinonychuses are not rare at the Lughing Jungle and some of there live past the river. I am sure. You can think they are large enough so you can see them coming and hide... but you would be just so wrong... they are quick to attack like a cobra, and have portentous scent like a wolf. No. If you ever face one of those, you are better running each in a different direction and pray to Gozreh the winds are with you"

You spot Ingolf doing strange gestures and noises to the boar. The boar responds with "Oink! Oink!" he jumps and as he does the pan falls from her head and you can now see a cut in the boar's neck.

Ingolf:

"You talk! You smart two-legs too. Half-tooth want kill me. But Ebba brave. Ebba fight"

The cooker shouts at the boar pointing with his knife "That's it! Distract it, I gonna be happy as a clam to butcher this one!"

When the cooker ends his menace and steps forward the boar darts forward while the half-toothless cooker starts running around the table, the boar running after him "Someone! Stop the dinner!!!"


Male Gnome Nature Oracle 1 Unchained Barbarian 1| HP: 7/20 1 str dmg | AC: 20 (21) T: 15 (16) FF: 16 (17) bracketed numbers are in melee vs size medium+ | Saves F:4 R:-1 W:2 | Init: -1 | Perc: 6 (low-light)| CMB: 1 CMD:15 | Speed: 20 ft | conditions: none

Ingolf cried out, "Don't kill the pig — she's intelligent! I'll pay you for her!" He tried to get in between the combatants to stop the fight.

Speak with Animals:
"I know he cut you, but I'm trying to make him stop! Just get behind me!"


M Human Druid (Restorer) 2 - HP 17/17 - AC 17 - TAC 12 - FF 15 - CMD 12 - Init +2 - Fort +5 - Ref +2 - Will +6 (+2 storm effects) - Perc +8 - SM +11 - Wind 6/6 - Hero Points 2/3

The one called Splits the Leaves looks on at the gnome with a curiosity. He saw him cast some sort of magic and talk with it, and decided that perhaps he misjudged the researcher. Hearing that Ingolf didn't want the pig dead, the druid waited for a moment before chiming in.

"There is no need for bloodshed here. If you require food for this evening, how many of us are aboard this ship? The sea is bountiful if we are in dire need." He gives Ingolf a nod of understanding.


Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

The boar seems to finally respond to Ingolf requests and stops waiting behind him, but it still looks at the cooker "Oink! Oink!"

Ingolf:

"You smell good. I like you. You are a smart and good hearted two-legs"

The cooker finally puts down the knife and looks interested at Ingolf "Mmm... well... this was the dinner for the captain, but see... I guess as the man of the staff says... there is fish enough in the sea. I guess you can pay me back the 5 g... 10 gold pieces that it costed us and you can have the boar for your own lunch"

Sense Motive DC 14:

Bluff: 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (16) - 2 = 14
You sense there is something odd on his words, the man is laying about the boar payment.


Male Gnome Nature Oracle 1 Unchained Barbarian 1| HP: 7/20 1 str dmg | AC: 20 (21) T: 15 (16) FF: 16 (17) bracketed numbers are in melee vs size medium+ | Saves F:4 R:-1 W:2 | Init: -1 | Perc: 6 (low-light)| CMB: 1 CMD:15 | Speed: 20 ft | conditions: none

Sense Motive: 1d20 ⇒ 17

Ingolf suspected that the cook might not really be out of pocket for the cost of the boar. He replied, "Here's 5 gold pieces for you. I'll give the remainder to the captain; I imagine he paid some of the cost." He took five gold coins from his purse and gave them to the cook.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16

He told the boar,

Speak with Animals:
"You're safe now! I convinced him to let you go."

Perhaps pushing the one minute duration of the spell. :)


Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

The cooker stretches his eyes "Well that's not what I asked but..."

"Don't be greedy..." a half-elf calls the attention of the cooker while she descends through the stairs garbed in a radiant red dress and a constant glower "Shouldn't you be preparing our dinner?"

The cooker finally reacts picking up the coin and quickly disappearing into the kitchen. The boar jumps happily around Ingolf sniffing at the gnome "Oink! Oink!"

Ingolf:

"Weee! You saved me! I like you! How they call you?"
It is fine, I think this was just a few seconds after all

The half-elven woman approaches your group and greets you "Good evening. I have seen you on the ship but I think we have not been introduced. Annabella Tullia" once she closed up you were able to spot the symbol of multicolored singbird "So, you are traveling to Pridon's Hearth to?"

Religion DC 10:

The symbol is that one of Shelyn, The Eternal Rose, goddess of art, beauty, love and music.


Male Gnome Nature Oracle 1 Unchained Barbarian 1| HP: 7/20 1 str dmg | AC: 20 (21) T: 15 (16) FF: 16 (17) bracketed numbers are in melee vs size medium+ | Saves F:4 R:-1 W:2 | Init: -1 | Perc: 6 (low-light)| CMB: 1 CMD:15 | Speed: 20 ft | conditions: none

Ingolf told the boar,

Speak with Animals:
"People call me Ingolf. This ship is taking me to a new home; would you like to come with me?"

Knowledge Religion (untrained: max DC 10): 1d20 ⇒ 9

He said hello new half-elven woman, "My name is Ingolf. I think we're all going to settle in Pridon's Hearth; I'm going to be mapping the region around the colony."


Female Human Inquisitor (Sanctified Slayer) 2 | HP:15 | AC:16 TAC:13 CMB: +2 CMD: 15 | Fort4+ Ref+3 Will+5 | Init +5 Perception +7 | Hero Points: 2|

Thankful that the situation with the boar had not gone where she'd thought it initially would, Adriana takes her hand off her scimitar and nods to Umuzu. She's a little confused overall but violence has been averted and Ingolf has obtained a pet - she took it a good sign overall.

Returning to her seat she is about to ask Jonah a question but is interrupted by the arrival of Annabella.

Knowledge Religion: 1d20 ⇒ 8

"Adriana. It seems we're all going there - I am hoping for...hmm....a different life." She answers.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
M Human Druid (Restorer) 2 - HP 17/17 - AC 17 - TAC 12 - FF 15 - CMD 12 - Init +2 - Fort +5 - Ref +2 - Will +6 (+2 storm effects) - Perc +8 - SM +11 - Wind 6/6 - Hero Points 2/3

The one named Splits the Leaves looks toward the gnome and his new companion, and gives a nodding approval. He remains silent, sometimes moments do not need to be filled with noises and sounds and he took them when they came.

However it was short lived as yet another newcomer came down belowdecks. Looking at her outfit he eyed it and stood up to introduce himself.

K: Religion: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19

"Annabella you say? A lovely day to you." He offers a hand, "May today bring you inspiration and beauty wherever you find it." Giving a quiet nod he continues, "I have been named Splits the Leaves, and I have heard the wind and waves whisper of a weather event that leaves me questioning its intent."

He turns to the others in a glance that said, All weather has intent.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Human Ranger 2| HP 12/16 | AC 17/14/13| CMB +4| CMD 18| F +3| R +7| W +1| Init +4 Per +5| Longbow +6 (1d8)

Jonah puts away his big dagger, looking a little disappointed that there would not be any pork for dinner, but he is smart enough not to say anything about it to the gnome who just bought the pig.

"It will be nice to reach land again where meat is more plentiful. I wonder how these deinonychuses taste, ma'am? I understand they are dangerous, but surely they are also hunted by humans? I have yet to find an animal I could not track and kill, and I am eager to try my wits against the famed dinosaurs of the South.

to the newcomer he says

Pleased to make your acquaintance, miss Annabella. I am indeed headed to Pridon's Hearth. looking for work and good hunting. what brings you this way?


Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

The boar nods to Ingolf

Ingolf:
"Yes! That sounds like adventure!"

Annabella corresponds to your greetings, although she arches an eyebrow at Adriana when she gives an evasive answer "Ohm, I hope that weather you look for brings joy and beauty to Pridon's Hearth landscapes master Splits"

She smiles at Jonah staring him with her deep green eyes "Not sure about meat. From what I have heard wild taro and Mwangi rice awaits you in your near future meals. The colony has discovered that along the river, although some plantations of dika fruits and palm oil are flourishing the economy there"

"As for me... well... I hope may paintings and sculptures in the future colony spaces lead to widespread veneration of The Ethernal Rose" she then looks around at all of you "You all seem like the adventurer type... are you friends? or perhaps working together? Maybe I could make a painting of you all... what would you think?"


Male Gnome Nature Oracle 1 Unchained Barbarian 1| HP: 7/20 1 str dmg | AC: 20 (21) T: 15 (16) FF: 16 (17) bracketed numbers are in melee vs size medium+ | Saves F:4 R:-1 W:2 | Init: -1 | Perc: 6 (low-light)| CMB: 1 CMD:15 | Speed: 20 ft | conditions: none

Ingolf asked Splits the Leaves, "What weather event have you heard about?" Could this have anything to do with my curse?

He replied to Annabella, "We've just met, really.

"How long would we have to sit for the painting? I'm not sure how long Ebba will be able to sit still."


Female Human Inquisitor (Sanctified Slayer) 2 | HP:15 | AC:16 TAC:13 CMB: +2 CMD: 15 | Fort4+ Ref+3 Will+5 | Init +5 Perception +7 | Hero Points: 2|

Adriana takes Annabella's reaction to her answer in stride - it was true, for the most part. Her life in Pridon's Hearth would be very different from what it had been, she simply felt no need to elaborate just now. Perhaps at a later junction after they've all established themselves in the Hearth.

She nods once in agreement with Ingolf about their just having met - the long week aboard the ship had not afforded them much time together until recently - but she does honestly consider Annabella's' offer.

"I've never had the chance to be painted before. Would it take long?"


M Human Druid (Restorer) 2 - HP 17/17 - AC 17 - TAC 12 - FF 15 - CMD 12 - Init +2 - Fort +5 - Ref +2 - Will +6 (+2 storm effects) - Perc +8 - SM +11 - Wind 6/6 - Hero Points 2/3

Splits the Leaves shakes his head, "I cannot tell but I doubt this weather event will be natural." He takes a seat and thoughtfully considers how to put the situation, "There is something coming, it is unusual but until I get there there is not much I can do or tell you."

He shakes his hand to Annabella, "I am afraid I should not, no, cannot sit for a painting. It would violate my oaths. I appreciate the offer however and I would be honoured if you wanted to render me as a fish or bird or plant."


Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Annabella explains details of painting for a long hour, starting from the extended time of posing required, with sessions as long as five hours per day through multiple weeks. She takes then on the theories of color and light and then makes a briefing on how the school of Sargava envisions space, going deep into the roots of how the school treats nature on its pictures as she see Splits is interested on the topic.

Meanwhile the rest of the passage comes into the dinning room, including Gallio Menius and some of the sailors. The cooker serves a meal consisting on cuttlefish cut as rings with a lemon sauce and some herbs accompanied with long leafs of bread. On the board start to appear dishes with long slices of Eleder pineapple and jars of water and moonshine for those looking for an extra taste.


Human Ranger 2| HP 12/16 | AC 17/14/13| CMB +4| CMD 18| F +3| R +7| W +1| Init +4 Per +5| Longbow +6 (1d8)

Jonah quickly loses interest in the discussion about colors and paints, and gravitates towards the sailors, happily swapping very tall tales with them, and possibly starting up a simple dice game.


Male Gnome Nature Oracle 1 Unchained Barbarian 1| HP: 7/20 1 str dmg | AC: 20 (21) T: 15 (16) FF: 16 (17) bracketed numbers are in melee vs size medium+ | Saves F:4 R:-1 W:2 | Init: -1 | Perc: 6 (low-light)| CMB: 1 CMD:15 | Speed: 20 ft | conditions: none

Ingolf didn't listen to Annabella's painting discussion much — he was more focused on keeping Ebba entertained and out of trouble. He started telling her the words for various objects in common; after all, he could only speak like a boar for a minute each day. He was sure she was smart enough to understand people speech, given time. He told her the word "pinapple", and let her nibble on a couple of slices.


M Human Druid (Restorer) 2 - HP 17/17 - AC 17 - TAC 12 - FF 15 - CMD 12 - Init +2 - Fort +5 - Ref +2 - Will +6 (+2 storm effects) - Perc +8 - SM +11 - Wind 6/6 - Hero Points 2/3

The conversation happens to be a nice surprise and he learns much about the colours that Annabella paints with. He decided to look at the world with an eye of Shelyn in the near future and thanked her for her services and discussion.

Once dinner comes up, the one named Splits the Leaves offers a prayer to Gozreh for providing on this long voyage and begins to stir up some conversation.

"Gallio Menius was it? How has this voyage been proceeding? Does it look like we will be making it on time?" He ponders as he doesn't wish to miss the event that Gozreh had spoken to him about.


Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

"I really hope so. My skin will not withstand a single more day in this acid sweat sauna" the man covers his nostrils with a yellow embroidered handkerchief and answers without turning to look at Splits "Besides... I am excited to have a look at my just acquired parcel. The papaya will soon grow in there"

"Papaya..." a sharply dressed man who is also traveling with five more men chuckles at the nobleman "Gold and copper! There is the real wealth man"

The nobleman looks back at him with disdain "Mining... such a dirty task. I prefer to leave earth digging to moles and larvae"

Gallio Menius servants laugh at the nobleman pun while the prospector and his men look back at them with hostility.


Female Human Inquisitor (Sanctified Slayer) 2 | HP:15 | AC:16 TAC:13 CMB: +2 CMD: 15 | Fort4+ Ref+3 Will+5 | Init +5 Perception +7 | Hero Points: 2|

Adriana does consider Annabella's offer for a few moments before giving her an apologetic look "I would not object to being painted, but I don not think there is enough time. If you are staying in Pridons, then perhaps at some point." she offers, her demeanor changing as Gallio enters with his servants.

"Hmm. Excuse me" she says politely to Annabella as she slinks off partly do get some dinner and partly to be away from Gallio - she's found the man to be rather off-putting and a little suspicious, and she doesn't wish to be riled up, hovering near Splits and the others.


Male Gnome Nature Oracle 1 Unchained Barbarian 1| HP: 7/20 1 str dmg | AC: 20 (21) T: 15 (16) FF: 16 (17) bracketed numbers are in melee vs size medium+ | Saves F:4 R:-1 W:2 | Init: -1 | Perc: 6 (low-light)| CMB: 1 CMD:15 | Speed: 20 ft | conditions: none

Ingolf smiled to himself at Gallio Menius' comment about the humidity. You think it's muggy onboard ship, where there's a nice ocean breeze? Wait till you get to the marshes around Pridon's Heath!


Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

The evening passes by and the night falls over the decks of the Kaava Cutter. The passengers and sailors find the night calm enough and the quietness of the sea envelops all of you until the dawn first light wakes you up again in the morning.

The passengers start to become nervous when the first sand islands of the Korir river delta are spotted. Slowly, the ship remounts one of the branches towards your final destination "The locals call this branch the Little Tiger River" tells you Umuzu. One hour later you spot for the first time Pridon's Hearth.

The colony remains a very much struggling small town, with no paved roads and many buildings still constructed with canvas roofs or walls. Only a large Estate building in the higher ground withstands over the humbling rest of the structures. Aside from the Estate, only another building seems build of stone, a tall and white structure with delicate white classical columns.

The ship sets anchor at the middle of the branch and you see the sailors working hard recovering sails and preparing ropes and knots. Soon you discover the reason of the maneuver. There is no large enough dock in the town to hold the Kaava Cutter and the ship must be disembarked using longboats.

Gallio Menius approaches the captain and tells him with a demanding tone "Me and my belongings must disembark first Captain, as it belongs to my position" the man insists on this extreme and finally he and his belongings are packed in the first longboat.

Meanwhile you are requested to ready yourselves and your belongings to board one of the rotating batch of longboats. The smaller wooden docks of the colony seem they will do the task easy. One of the sailors approach your group and requests "Does anyone of you know how to row?" and presents an oar.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Gnome Nature Oracle 1 Unchained Barbarian 1| HP: 7/20 1 str dmg | AC: 20 (21) T: 15 (16) FF: 16 (17) bracketed numbers are in melee vs size medium+ | Saves F:4 R:-1 W:2 | Init: -1 | Perc: 6 (low-light)| CMB: 1 CMD:15 | Speed: 20 ft | conditions: none

Ingolf packed his bag ahead if time, so he was up on deck when they first spotted the islands of the river delta. "Not much longer Ebba, and we'll arrive at our new home!"

The boar nodded, not really understanding what the gnome was saying. She did catch the word "home", so she guessed that they were going to live on an island. She wasn't sure what that would be like, but Ingolf had been kind, so she trusted him.

*****

Ingolf rolled his eyes as the nobleman made a fuss about going ashore first. When it was finally his turn to board a longboat, he cast a spell so he could explain to Ebba what they were doing.

Speak with Animals:
This is where we are going to live, Ebba! The river is too shallow for the ship to take us to the shore, so this little boat is going to take us there. In just a few minutes, we'll be on dry land.

The gnome replied to the sailor, "I can help, but I don't know how to steer."

Ingolf does have a positive strength modifier!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
M Human Druid (Restorer) 2 - HP 17/17 - AC 17 - TAC 12 - FF 15 - CMD 12 - Init +2 - Fort +5 - Ref +2 - Will +6 (+2 storm effects) - Perc +8 - SM +11 - Wind 6/6 - Hero Points 2/3

Looking at the nobleman, the druid looks not with disgust but pity for his attachment to the material. Packing his meager items and praying in the morning, he gets ready to leave.

"An oar? I suppose I can try. There's no harm when the seas have blessed us with smooth sailing the entire way."

Profession (Sailor), Untrained: 1d20 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 3 + 2 = 20

Turning to the others he holds his hands out, "If you'd trust this older man with it of course."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Human Ranger 2| HP 12/16 | AC 17/14/13| CMB +4| CMD 18| F +3| R +7| W +1| Init +4 Per +5| Longbow +6 (1d8)

Jonah just stares at the oar, and mumbles something about not being a sailor. I can barely swim! isn't this what the sailors are supposed to do? drive the boats?

he will let anyone... anyone! go ahead of him into the boat. he doesn't want to look scared but he is very nervous about the lack of experience rowing boats in the group


Female Human Inquisitor (Sanctified Slayer) 2 | HP:15 | AC:16 TAC:13 CMB: +2 CMD: 15 | Fort4+ Ref+3 Will+5 | Init +5 Perception +7 | Hero Points: 2|

Adriana is content to let Gallio and his entourage leave the boat first; Pridon's Hearth wasn't going anywhere, and perhaps if the gods were kind, the obnoxious nobleman would fall into the sea.

When approached by the sailors she shrugs apologetically and says "I have not, I'm afraid. But..." She gives Splits a smirk of encouragement "Seems you have it under control."


Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

The sailor gives the oar to Splits who seems to know how those things work. When you are boarded in your longboat and ready to start your release from the main ship another of the sailors shows up over the taffrail and shouts at you in the boat "Wait a minute! There is one more passenger. Make a slot please!"

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
M NG Half-Elf Cryptid Scholar Investigator 2 | HP 15/15 | AC 14 T 12 FF 12 | CMB -1, CMD 11 | F: +1, R: +5, W: +4 (+2 vs enchantments) | Init: +2 | Perc: +7, SM: +2, Low-light vision | Speed 30ft | Extracts: 1st 3/3 |Inspiration 4/4 | Active conditions: None

”Whoops, ‘scues me, terribly sorry!” A bright-eyed half-elf with tousled auburn hair squeezes his way to the railing and looks down at the longboat. He frowns at the rope ladder. ”Hmm...” A sudden flash of inspiration turns that frown upside down, and he reaches down for something at his feet. ”Here, catch!”

A large leather sack hurdles over the railing...

1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3

...and lands with a splash in the water next to the longboat. ”Alright, I’ll be right ther- OH NO MY PAPERS!!!” With a cry of panic, the man practically falls down the rope into the boat and fishes the pack out of the water where it floats.

”Oh dear oh dear oh dear...” he moans softly, setting the soaking pack on his lap and wringing his hands. ”Do you think they’ll be alright?” he asks the gnome worriedly. ”Maybe if I dried them out they’ll be writable again.”


Male Gnome Nature Oracle 1 Unchained Barbarian 1| HP: 7/20 1 str dmg | AC: 20 (21) T: 15 (16) FF: 16 (17) bracketed numbers are in melee vs size medium+ | Saves F:4 R:-1 W:2 | Init: -1 | Perc: 6 (low-light)| CMB: 1 CMD:15 | Speed: 20 ft | conditions: none

Ingolf replied to the half-elf, "When we get to the shore, find a place where you can lay the papers out to dry. I think you should be able to save them."

He introduced himself and the boar, "I'm Ingolf, and this is Ebba."


Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Once Tonny manages to recover his papers and accommodate himself in the longboat, Splits starts to row towards the fishery docks at the colony's land.

The rowing takes you almost ten minutes, and by one your longboat arrives at the dock, Gallio is already in the midst of directing his indentured laborers to organize belongings and farming supplies.

As you disembark and collect your belongings on the fishing dock, an argument grows louder and louder between Gallio and a grizzled-looking man swaying at the end of the dock. The stranger is shouting Gallio vehemently.

"You should be getting out of this land, ya filthy leech!" the man swings with a right hook and knocks Gallio to the deck planks, looking more shocked than injured. The swaying man ends his tirade by smashing the bottle he holds against a sturdy dock pylon. The bottle shatters, leaving him holding a vicious spike of serrated glass "And if yer not gonna leave... then I guess it’s up to me to make ya!"

Perception or Sense Motive DC 15:

You feel the aggressor is drunk.


Male Gnome Nature Oracle 1 Unchained Barbarian 1| HP: 7/20 1 str dmg | AC: 20 (21) T: 15 (16) FF: 16 (17) bracketed numbers are in melee vs size medium+ | Saves F:4 R:-1 W:2 | Init: -1 | Perc: 6 (low-light)| CMB: 1 CMD:15 | Speed: 20 ft | conditions: none

Perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11

Ingolf hustled over to get between the man with the broken bottle and the nobleman. "Please — violence isn't the solution! Let's talk about this instead of fighting!" He didn't particularly like Gallio Menius, but this sort of behavior made things worse for everyone.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23

No skill ranks yet, just charisma bonus.

1 to 50 of 347 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / [Module] Ire of the Storm by GM Rutseg - Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.