Game Master S's "Half-Alive Streets" (Inactive)

Game Master Chris Marsh

TACTICAL MAP | Handouts |
Starfinder Ships | Ship Roles

Initiative:

[dice=Hostiles]d20[/dice]
[dice=Noble-44]d20+4[/dice]
[dice=Spacey]d20+1[/dice]


1 to 50 of 169 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>

| Dead Suns | Enter the Ashen Asteroid | Ship Roles |

Transmit ID here.


| Dead Suns | Enter the Ashen Asteroid | Ship Roles |

Deep on Absalom Station...

A large vesk in a muscle shirt sits at a table in the small reception room, messily consuming the various laid-out refreshments. Venture- Captain Arvin stands on the opposite side of the table, visibly annoyed at the vesk, and turns toward the arriving Starfinders with some relief. “Thank you for your quick response. Some new technology has come to the Society’s attention”—the vesk clears his throat loudly, and Arvin’s eyebrow twitches in irritation—“from our… contact Julzakama. If you would…”

The vesk, Julzakama, stands, pulling a battered gym bag out from under the table. “Feast your eyes on this little gemling.” He reaches into the bag and removes what appears to be a severed human hand. Julzakama waves the limb then offers it to Arvin to shake.

Arvin declines the offered limb, rubbing his temples, and explains. “As you might have guessed, this is a prosthetic limb. It’s a standard cybernetic augmentation, but this one was made with a new type of biotech, so well grafted that it’s almost undetectable without magic. Its special features are just as well hidden.” Arvin takes the hand from Julzakama to demonstrate a nearly invisible compartment large enough to conceal a knife, several data drives, or a small toolkit. “Such technology would be invaluable for covert and diplomatic operations, and the Society would like to find the specialist who crafted and installed it. But therein lies the difficulty. Julzakama, if you could explain the… circumstances of this discovery?”

Julzakama holds up his hands, saying, “Now, I wasn’t personally involved. Some vesk workers known to some of my customers got in a territorial dispute with some manlings. Stuff happened, one of these guys turned his winnings over to my customer to settle a bet, and here we are.” Julzakama gestures at the hand, smiling ingratiatingly, and continues, “I thought you Starfinders might be interested.”

“Indeed, we are.” Arvin folds his hands behind his back. “Julzakama tells me that his acquaintances’ rivals had been known to acquire their gear from gray-market operations in the Freemarkets. As that is our only lead so far, I’d like you to investigate the area; even if none of the listed clinics are the source, they may have more information on who is.”

You may already know a fair bit about the Freemarkets. Make a Culture (Recall Knowledge) check:

20+:
The Freemarkets are the Ring’s open-air retail space, where small businesses of all sorts showcase their products and services. AbadarCorp sponsors the area; the corporation’s religious doctrine mandates that they encourage the growth of free enterprise. It’s relatively easy to get a business permit, so many entrepreneurs get their start there.

15+:
Most of the Freemarkets’ businesses are temporary operations, working out of stalls or carts. The most successful make enough of a profit to secure permanent stores or are acquired by larger corporations. Some manage to hold their spots in the Freemarkets long-term, while the failures melt away.

20+:
While the majority of businesses in the Freemarkets are legitimate enterprises, fly-by-night operations and scam artists take advantage of regulation loopholes. If caught and shut down, they simply lie low for a time and then acquire new permits under false identities.

Acquisitives

Shirren Priest Mystic (4) | SP 32 HP 30 RP 5 | Init +1 | KAC 14, EAC 12 | Perc +10 | Blindsense, Telepathy 30ft

Spacey thinks about what he knows about the Freemarkets.

T10 for 17.

Looks like these little startup stalls want to get bought by AMA-Zulu-Oscar-November. This is where innovation meets technology. Blah blah blah mission statements and SMART goals. Spacey explains to the crew.

Are the DCs in the spoilers right? 20, 15, and 20? Just checking


| Dead Suns | Enter the Ashen Asteroid | Ship Roles |

Oops, 10, 15, 20

Wayfinders

"Male" Android Operative (3) | SP 18 HP 22 | Init +4 | KAC 17, EAC 17 | Per +9

Culture: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15 Noble nods at Spacey in agreement.

He then looks at his hand, then the severed hand, then back to his hand .... Is it still ... functional?


| Dead Suns | Enter the Ashen Asteroid | Ship Roles |

"No. It's decidedly inert."


| Dead Suns | Enter the Ashen Asteroid | Ship Roles |

Venture-Captain Arvin blinks at everyone for an uncomfortable amount of time. "If there are no questions, I believe you have a mission."

Julzakama waves the severed hand at you.

Wayfinders

"Male" Android Operative (3) | SP 18 HP 22 | Init +4 | KAC 17, EAC 17 | Per +9

Noble-44 takes the feeling in the air as a "sign" I guess off we go...

I'd honestly like one of those hands ... seems very 'useful'. I intend to go down to the stalls and try to find myself an upgrade such as that or at least get some feelers for who might be in the know


| Dead Suns | Enter the Ashen Asteroid | Ship Roles |

Now is a good time to slot boons. Given that this is a business oriented mission, if you have the AbadarCorp Respect boon, I recommend slotting it. Once everyone is checked in, I'll advance.

Dataphiles

N Spacefarer Solarian 3 SP 3/24 HP 25/25 RP 4/4 | EAC 13 KAC 15 | F+4 R+1 W+3 | Init+0 | Perc+4 SM+4 | Speed 25 ft

"You mentioned a list of clinics?" rumbles a deep baritone from the back.

I have a AbadarCorp Respect boon, and will slot it.


| Dead Suns | Enter the Ashen Asteroid | Ship Roles |

"If I recall correctly, there’s a directory of businesses near the entrance that’s updated monthly; you could check that for augmentation clinics. The Markets have a high turnover rate, though; businesses open and close all the time. It might be worth your time to check with the Markets’ AbadarCorp representatives for an updated list of operating permits."

Wayfinders

"Male" Android Operative (3) | SP 18 HP 22 | Init +4 | KAC 17, EAC 17 | Per +9

AbadorCorp slotted


| Dead Suns | Enter the Ashen Asteroid | Ship Roles |

Gilded doors separate the Freemarkets from the previous station sector. The entrance area contains a sizable shrine to Abadar to the right; to the left, an office issues permits, takes complaints, and receives petitions. Through the entry zone, a giant signboard with a directory of businesses offers onlookers a way to locate their desired merchandise.

There are no large vehicles in the Freemarkets; all internal transport is handled at the Markets’ lowest level, reserved for delivery and maintenance. The main avenue follows the curve of the station, with four other walkways on the base level. Most goods and larger items of merchandise are on this level. The second level has a grid of aerial walkways and contains mostly service businesses: cosmeticians, spellcasters, tax preparers, and the like. Aside from street-food stalls, most eateries are on the third level, where patrons can observe the hustle and bustle from above. High turnover prevents sorting of businesses by type. The entire market consists of small businesses that focus on the working to lower-middle classes; entrepreneurs with more upscale aspirations usually have the connections and capital to afford permanent locations in more exclusive areas. That being said, trend followers of all income brackets frequent the Markets looking for the next flavor of the week, and savvy financiers do so seeking up-and-comers they can sponsor at other locations or hire directly.

The walkways are laid out in an orderly manner, with lifts and staircases at regular intervals leading to the Markets’ three retail levels. Kiosks sporting AbadarCorp logos offer carts for rent and advertise delivery services. Other businesses promote themselves in a riot of lights, music, and recorded ad pitches. Businesses are not grouped by type; food stalls operate next to jewelry stores, and specialists repair high-end electronics next to secondhand clothing racks.

Dataphiles

N Spacefarer Solarian 3 SP 3/24 HP 25/25 RP 4/4 | EAC 13 KAC 15 | F+4 R+1 W+3 | Init+0 | Perc+4 SM+4 | Speed 25 ft

"Right then," Gideon mutters, and walks up to the office on the left. "An updated directory, please."

If Needed:
Diplomacy Take 10: 10 + 12 + 1d6 ⇒ 10 + 12 + (2) = 24


| Dead Suns | Enter the Ashen Asteroid | Ship Roles |

As Gideon approaches, the clerk he's about to speak to leaves on break...

In his place is a familiar looking Shirren. It's Philt the envoy from Akiton during the incident with the Fugitive on the Red Planet.

"Looking for some better information?" he thinks at all of you. "I noted your names on the approach. The Directory IS outdated, and I can guess why you're here. Only three of the clinics listed (BioBoost, the Cytech Clinic, and Metagenesis) have current permits. I am investigating a number of customers who have disappeared in the past two weeks. Related?"

Dataphiles

N Spacefarer Solarian 3 SP 3/24 HP 25/25 RP 4/4 | EAC 13 KAC 15 | F+4 R+1 W+3 | Init+0 | Perc+4 SM+4 | Speed 25 ft

"You would like help," Gideon replies aloud in a matter-of-fact tone. He offers Philt the same lack of greeting.

Wayfinders

"Male" Android Operative (3) | SP 18 HP 22 | Init +4 | KAC 17, EAC 17 | Per +9

Noble-44 chuckles and smirks at Gideon and then attempts a little ‘smoothing’ ignoring the lack of address.

Yeah, there’s a good chance some paths are crossed here.... I think it our mutual interests again to share some info. What’s the deets on your misplaced biological?


| Dead Suns | Enter the Ashen Asteroid | Ship Roles |

"We have intersecting business interests, but we're not partners. Sorry ol'chap. Some of you have earned the respect of AbadarCorp, and we ALWAYS pay our debts."
While it may read as if you just used up the AbadarCorp Respect boon, you have not. It's permanent.

You've got a few leads; BioBoost, the Cytech Clinic, and Metagenesis. Where to Starfinders?

Acquisitives

Shirren Priest Mystic (4) | SP 32 HP 30 RP 5 | Init +1 | KAC 14, EAC 12 | Perc +10 | Blindsense, Telepathy 30ft

Spacey speaks up. How about we check out the BioBoost first?


| Dead Suns | Enter the Ashen Asteroid | Ship Roles |

The party, deferring to Spacey's suggestion, heads over to "BioBoost." BioBoost specializes in nutritional supplements and “legal chemical enhancements.” Its muscular salesperson Isidre (a female human), greets you. "Good Morning! By the looks of you lot, you need some help bulking up. Well, you've come to the right place. What can I do for you?"

Dataphiles

N Spacefarer Solarian 3 SP 3/24 HP 25/25 RP 4/4 | EAC 13 KAC 15 | F+4 R+1 W+3 | Init+0 | Perc+4 SM+4 | Speed 25 ft

"My friend here is in the market for a new prosthetic," Gideon begins, gesturing at Noble-44 and putting on his best (literally, apparently) charm. "And he has tried a lot of models that do not suit his tastes. Would you have anything... interesting?"

Diplomacy (Improve Attitude): 1d20 + 12 + 1d6 ⇒ (20) + 12 + (2) = 34


| Dead Suns | Enter the Ashen Asteroid | Ship Roles |

She smiles at Gideon, "Sorry darling. Look around. This shop provides customers with the means to improve their bodies through hard work and discipline, not “shortcuts” like augmentations, prosthetic, and whatnot. Now, I've got plenty of vitamins and supplements though."

The party takes a look around the shop, and it doesn't look like this is the place.

"Since you asked so nicely though, try Metagenesis or Renew-You."

Acquisitives

Shirren Priest Mystic (4) | SP 32 HP 30 RP 5 | Init +1 | KAC 14, EAC 12 | Perc +10 | Blindsense, Telepathy 30ft

Spacey suggests we try Metagenesis.


| Dead Suns | Enter the Ashen Asteroid | Ship Roles |

If the wares on display are any indication (and they are), Metagenesis focuses on broad-spectrum biotech augmentations, such as chameleon skin and gill sheaths, and personal upgrades that boost general performance. The owner,a verthani named Chryson greets you, "Greetings. May I help you?"

Wayfinders

"Male" Android Operative (3) | SP 18 HP 22 | Init +4 | KAC 17, EAC 17 | Per +9

Noble-44 wants to go with Gideon's idea again, since not only would it work, he'd be very happy to go along with the process.

Dataphiles

N Spacefarer Solarian 3 SP 3/24 HP 25/25 RP 4/4 | EAC 13 KAC 15 | F+4 R+1 W+3 | Init+0 | Perc+4 SM+4 | Speed 25 ft

Sense Motive @ BioBoost: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11

Gideon tries the exact same line here at Metagenesis. "My friend here is in the market for a new prosthetic. He has tried a lot of models that do not suit his tastes. Would you have anything... interesting?"

Diplomacy (Improve Attitude): 1d20 + 12 + 1d6 ⇒ (7) + 12 + (5) = 24

Link to the art is dead, S.


| Dead Suns | Enter the Ashen Asteroid | Ship Roles |

Chyrson

"I'm picking up what you're putting down. Just tell me what it is that you're actually looking for. Discretion is part of my game."

Gideon is fairly certain he's got the man's attention.

Dataphiles

N Spacefarer Solarian 3 SP 3/24 HP 25/25 RP 4/4 | EAC 13 KAC 15 | F+4 R+1 W+3 | Init+0 | Perc+4 SM+4 | Speed 25 ft

Gideon's brows furrow, and he pauses a moment to consider whether this is a trap.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24

If Trap:
"He's looking for a new pair of eyes. Cannot see a damn thing to save his life, poor bastard."

If Not:
"I appreciate that. We are in a discrete business ourselves. Something with a compartment that can escape detection would be ideal."


| Dead Suns | Enter the Ashen Asteroid | Ship Roles |

No trap. "You have a shockingly low threshold for what requires discretion. I've got plenty of that."

DM:

1d20 ⇒ 15

Dataphiles

N Spacefarer Solarian 3 SP 3/24 HP 25/25 RP 4/4 | EAC 13 KAC 15 | F+4 R+1 W+3 | Init+0 | Perc+4 SM+4 | Speed 25 ft

"Do not be so certain, stranger," Gideon warns with a bright smile flashing across his face. "Those are only the first requirements. You see, the folks we deal with have ample means and methods of detection -- so when I say it needs to be able to escape detection, I mean any detection. That includes magic and tech."

"Secondly, the folks we deal with have experts that can spot all the known models. We are looking for something... off-market."


| Dead Suns | Enter the Ashen Asteroid | Ship Roles |

"Just tell me what it is."

Dataphiles

N Spacefarer Solarian 3 SP 3/24 HP 25/25 RP 4/4 | EAC 13 KAC 15 | F+4 R+1 W+3 | Init+0 | Perc+4 SM+4 | Speed 25 ft

Gideon frowns, a hint of frustration in his eye. "Have I not? I have told you what I need, and I can hardly ask for something I do not know to name. What do you have in stock that meets my needs?"


| Dead Suns | Enter the Ashen Asteroid | Ship Roles |

The supplier seems a bit confused, and shows off all his wares. There is a fair amount of "by the book" augmentation, but nothing particularly relevant to your mission.

Sense Motive 12:

He seems like a rather simple and straight forward business person.

Wayfinders

"Male" Android Operative (3) | SP 18 HP 22 | Init +4 | KAC 17, EAC 17 | Per +9

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14

Noble-44 suddenly looks .... bored and taps his comm unit as if distracted or in a rush. He pretends to be unable to participate i this conversation and just wags his head to the door.

Dataphiles

N Spacefarer Solarian 3 SP 3/24 HP 25/25 RP 4/4 | EAC 13 KAC 15 | F+4 R+1 W+3 | Init+0 | Perc+4 SM+4 | Speed 25 ft

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18

Gideon looks at Noble-44, then back at the salesman. "My regrets, sir, but my friend here has just noticed something that requires our attention elsewhere. I am grateful that you have taken the time to show us your wares. We may return."

He follows the android out the door. Next?


| Dead Suns | Enter the Ashen Asteroid | Ship Roles |

You tell me where. BioBoost, the Cytech Clinic, Metagenesis, and Renew-You

Acquisitives

Shirren Priest Mystic (4) | SP 32 HP 30 RP 5 | Init +1 | KAC 14, EAC 12 | Perc +10 | Blindsense, Telepathy 30ft

Spacey suggests we go to Cytech Clinic, so Noble can get that "shot" he needs. Heyo

Dataphiles

N Spacefarer Solarian 3 SP 3/24 HP 25/25 RP 4/4 | EAC 13 KAC 15 | F+4 R+1 W+3 | Init+0 | Perc+4 SM+4 | Speed 25 ft

I feel like Renew-You is the correct answer, but I am a completionist so I can get behind Cytech Clinic.

"The Cytech Clinic then," Gideon agrees once the Metagenesis door shuts behind them.


| Dead Suns | Enter the Ashen Asteroid | Ship Roles |

The party heads of to Cytech.

The Cytech Clinic performs cybernetic augmentations, not biotech, and the owner directs the party to Metagenesis and Renew-You, mentioning the latter used to perform cybernetic augmentations...

The Renew-You clinic is a modular unit that resembles a shipping container. Although it is clearly older than the surrounding structures, it looks clean and well maintained. Metal doors are rolled down over the entrance and windows, and a neat sign reading “CLOSED INDEFINITELY” hangs over the posted business hours.

Dataphiles

N Spacefarer Solarian 3 SP 3/24 HP 25/25 RP 4/4 | EAC 13 KAC 15 | F+4 R+1 W+3 | Init+0 | Perc+4 SM+4 | Speed 25 ft

Gideon stares at the sign for only half a moment before walking over to the stall on the opposite side of the walkway. "Greetings, friend. How long has Renew-You been closed up?"


| Dead Suns | Enter the Ashen Asteroid | Ship Roles |

Gideon looks around. Unfortunately, another shop keep isn't on hand.
The clinic is bordered on one side by a temporarily vacant unit and on the other by an accountant’s office closed for lunch.

Frustrated at the lack of progress Gideon looks around. He sees nothing, nor does anyone else.

"Hi. I'm Senndi." The party looks down to see a halfling child . "If you're looking for an augment, you're too late. they closed up. Besides. My mom went there and now she's really sick."

Wayfinders

"Male" Android Operative (3) | SP 18 HP 22 | Init +4 | KAC 17, EAC 17 | Per +9

Noble smiles and crouches down "Hi little one. I'm really sorry to hear that. What happened to your mom?" Given that that children who just talk to strangers can be chatty little things, he encourages some babbling. Sometimes kids give away secrets accidentally...

Dataphiles

N Spacefarer Solarian 3 SP 3/24 HP 25/25 RP 4/4 | EAC 13 KAC 15 | F+4 R+1 W+3 | Init+0 | Perc+4 SM+4 | Speed 25 ft

Gideon concurs with Noble's approach, and lets the child talk.

When Senndi is done, he asks:
"Where is your mother? Could you take us to her?"


| Dead Suns | Enter the Ashen Asteroid | Ship Roles |

"She got an augmeent, and now shes got a really bad tummy ache that never goes away. Oh and a headache. That too."

The child looks at Gideon, "You guys look official. If I take you there, will you help?"

The halfling apartment complex is only a short distance from the Freemarkets.

------

Jumpsuits and equipment belts hang from pegs, crowding the entryway. Farther in, this cluttered apartment is dimly lit. To the right of the entryway is a small kitchen, where an older male halfling is preparing food while assisting two adolescents doing schoolwork at the table. To the left of the entryway is a common area, full of worn but comfortable-looking furniture. A heavy, wracking cough echoes from deeper in the apartment.

Culture DC 14:
You remember that augmentations are stigmatized in halfling community; in the halfling family-centered culture, an ill halfling should be tended to by friends and family. Seeking out serious medical interventions like augmentation forces the acknowledgement that family and some good poultry soup can’t cure all ills, and most halflings flinch at that thought... This could require a delicate touch

Wayfinders

Raia will try to remember things about halflings with Culture: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17

She then talks to the party using her Limited Telepathy.

"Augments are not a thing that halflings do typically. When one is sick, the family tends to the ill. In this case, they don't think they can cure her (the mother) so they aren't doing anything. Gideon, see what you can find out."

Dataphiles

N Spacefarer Solarian 3 SP 3/24 HP 25/25 RP 4/4 | EAC 13 KAC 15 | F+4 R+1 W+3 | Init+0 | Perc+4 SM+4 | Speed 25 ft

Culture Take 10 for 14.

Gideon removes his helmet and clears his throat, addressing the prepcook. "Greetings, citizen. Forgive the intrusion into your home. May I have a word with you about Senndi's mother?"

Diplomacy (Improve Attitude): 1d20 + 12 + 1d6 ⇒ (8) + 12 + (4) = 24


| Dead Suns | Enter the Ashen Asteroid | Ship Roles |

The halflings, somehow soothed by Gideon's timbre, congregate around the Knight of Tides. They begin pouring out information. Perhaps it's catharsis, perhaps confession.

"I'm Senndi’s father, Hermot. Maija had damaged her lungs working long hours in a chemical plant and needed a variation of a respirator compounder to continue providing for the family. A halfling acquaintance persuaded us to seek out a biotech augmentation, which would be less obvious than standard cybernetics. As it happened, this acquaintance had recently received his own augmentation—a high-density datajack—from the Renew-You clinic. This friend claimed his graft had taken almost immediately, without problems or scarring, and he had returned to work just days afterward."

A female halfling steps in, "I'm Maija’s friend and personal tender, my name is Tanit. I accompanied Maija to the Renew-You clinic 2 weeks ago. A shirren male-female couple operated the clinic. The male, whose name was Vrisken, explained the procedure and booked the appointment. According to Vrisken, his partner had personally crafted the augmentation with components from “a new source” that would enable rapid recovery. The female shirren performed the operation. I saw her for only a moment and can’t remember her name. Maija’s operation took less than an hour and that Maija was back to work in 2 days."

Medicine DC 18:

Such a complex operation—adding an augmentation to support a failing organ—should have taken hours, and without magical aid Maija’s recovery should have taken weeks.

Dataphiles

N Spacefarer Solarian 3 SP 3/24 HP 25/25 RP 4/4 | EAC 13 KAC 15 | F+4 R+1 W+3 | Init+0 | Perc+4 SM+4 | Speed 25 ft

A pause follows this explanation, broken by the wracking cough in the other room. "And now? How does Maija fare? When did her illness set in?"

Wayfinders

"Male" Android Operative (3) | SP 18 HP 22 | Init +4 | KAC 17, EAC 17 | Per +9

Take 10 on Medicine = 20

Noble-44 takes on a concerned look after hearing those recovery times.

"If you don't mind, I'd be happy to take a look at Maija's condition while my friends here" he waves to the group "get some information from you about this clinic... we are currently in the business of augmentation analysis and have interest in this clinic."


| Dead Suns | Enter the Ashen Asteroid | Ship Roles |

Noble-44 and Gideon leave the halflings relieved in a way.

Tanit continues the story, answering questions on the short walk to Maija's room. "Maija began feeling ill again 5 days ago. I went to the clinic to ask about follow-up care, but found it closed down. We unable to afford another doctor, and Maija has been bedridden at home for the past 3 days. The halfling who had recommended biotech to us, Shenge, was a “kinda shady” figure who nonetheless supported the local halfling community."

Maija lies resting in the apartment’s larger bedroom, exhausted but lucid and able to answer your questions.

1 to 50 of 169 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Game Master S's "Half-Alive Streets" All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.