Beyond the World's Edge: A Frontier Campaign

Game Master vayelan

Current Encounter: Cyclopean Ruins

Resources:
The Caravan

River Delta Regional Map

Downtime Calendar
Rooms and Buildings Guide
Teams and Organizations Guide


1,601 to 1,631 of 1,631 << first < prev | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | next > last >>

The dwarves do not long tarry. After the supplies are unloaded, they then haul their barges out of the water. The craft are very simple, made from freshly-hewn wood. Lady Brightshield explains that these are also part of the shipment, meant to supplement the community's timber.

The dwarves eagerly gather around and prompt their leader to use her magic to "get them home already."

Unless there is something else you would like to discuss with your dwarven ally, Lady Brightshield will teleport her group back to Stoneriver, and we will move along to the next exciting thing to happen at Haven.


Urban Druid 4 [ HP: 31/31 AC: 16 T: 11 FF: 15 | CMD 16 | Fort +7(+5), Ref +3, Will +7 +1 vs death +2 vs div/ench| Init +1 Perc: +10/+12 scavenger] Goodberries 3/4

Kalig nods in agreement with Brightshield, and then after bidding her farewell, helps with the unloading where needed.

Ready to move on


Male Human Cavalier (Order of the Lion) 4, HP 37/40, F: +6, R: +2, W: -1, Init: +1, Per: -2, Sense Motive: 0 (-2 if challenged), AC: Dorick 18, Caragus 19

"Safe travels, Lady Brightshield.", says Dorick, then realising the swiftness of her travel.

Also ready.


The dwarven wizardess recites the incantation, and a pale blue circle - lined with dwarven runes - appears beneath the feet of her and her hirelings. Some of them shuffle nervously, warily watching the magic lines grow in intensity. As the light of the spell brightens, the dwarves' forms fade away as they are ferried back to the mountains far to the west. The spell, too, fades and leaves no trace that they once stood there at the riverside.

The rest of the day and into the next, the supplies that the dwarves brought are inventoried and stored. So, too, are their barges hacked apart into their constituent logs and measured to be sawed down.

Soraya approaches you, seeking help from Kalig in particular. No sooner has her infirmary opened its doors than she was beset by folks seeking her ministrations.

"At first I believed it was merely exhaustion and heatstroke," she explains quietly, "but now I'm worried it may be something more. Not only have they clearly developed a fever, but red spots have appeared along their back and arms. I wanted to consult with you for input. Only three or four people have fallen ill so far, but that's still enough to leave me very frightened about contagion."


Male Human Rogue 4 HP 25/25 AC 17, T 13 FF 14 CMD 15 / F 1 R 7 W 2 / Init +3 Percep +6

With Lady Brightshield

"Trading for basic things like building material would be great, the nearest forest seems to hold large creatures, undead and a growing centaur feud, but thank you for your aid in all of this."


Urban Druid 4 [ HP: 31/31 AC: 16 T: 11 FF: 15 | CMD 16 | Fort +7(+5), Ref +3, Will +7 +1 vs death +2 vs div/ench| Init +1 Perc: +10/+12 scavenger] Goodberries 3/4

Kalig frowns. "And contagion or no, fear of it will cause problems as well."

She asks Soraya not just details about the illness, but also who the afflicted are--are they old, young, farmers, fishers, etc. And did they have contact with the dwarves recently, or the Keleshites before that.

Heal to Diagnose: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11

She also wonders if she's heard of any such afflictions either when in the wilderness or through similarly small hamlets.
Knowledge Nature: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (8) + 10 = 18
Knowledge Local: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21

If she has no idea, she makes a suggestion: "Mia is the next obvious person, although she is not... experienced in the ways of the world, she knows medicines. However, I wonder if we could also consult with one of Fendir's wives. Bekk... Brekka, I think? I thought she was something of a hedge witch or medicine woman. And I don't think likely to stir up a fuss."


Male Human Cavalier (Order of the Lion) 4, HP 37/40, F: +6, R: +2, W: -1, Init: +1, Per: -2, Sense Motive: 0 (-2 if challenged), AC: Dorick 18, Caragus 19

Dorick goes with Kalig to try and ease worried minds and see if he can spot anything he recognises from desert ailments on campaign.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (17) + 10 = 27

Aid Another with Knowledge Nature: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6

Aid Another with Heal: 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (9) - 2 = 7


Kalig is at a loss to diagnose the illness, beyond typing it as a kind of fever. The three sufferers include one of the farmers, Davin the cobbler, and Rolf the woodcutter. Rolf had contact with the dwarves, helping to haul their barges ashore and splitting the logs to be repurposed. Davin the cobbler had contact with the Keleshites, repairing some of the sailor's boots while they were ashore. The farmer, an man in his forties, had contact with neither group.

Kalig:
Although you cannot identify the specific disease that has stricken these settlers, such fevers are all too common in frontier regions. They can be caused by any number of contaminants in food or water, as well as being passed along by animals and vermin. The tiny rodents, possessing long hind legs and large ears, that are endemic to these grasslands might be such a vector.

Cholera and dysentery are also common in wilderness and cities alike, although these patients do not present the unpleasant symptoms of those diseases.
At least, not yet.

Dorick:
Many of the worst ailments you saw while on campaign in the desert were transmitted by flying insects. Veterans and local guides knew techniques for keeping them from biting, stinging, or even laying larvae in the skin of horse and rider alike. However, you have not seen any similar pests around here.

Despite the lingering mystery of this illness, Dorick inspires the patients to keep confidence in their healers, while also maintaining the morale of said healers.

When you approach Fendir, he quickly summons his hedge witch wife. Brekka listens intently, though grimly, as the situation is explained to her. She proves to have no more insight into the nature of this disease. She is more familiar with treating infections incurred through injury or accident. Nevertheless, she offers some rather potent medicine that can suppress pain and get the afflicted back on their feet. As she and her husband proudly explain, their tribe's medicine focuses on steeling the body to fight through the suffering.


Male Human Cavalier (Order of the Lion) 4, HP 37/40, F: +6, R: +2, W: -1, Init: +1, Per: -2, Sense Motive: 0 (-2 if challenged), AC: Dorick 18, Caragus 19

"I have not seen the flying insects that would deliver illnes with bites and stings. We had to watch for those in the desert."


Male Human Rogue 4 HP 25/25 AC 17, T 13 FF 14 CMD 15 / F 1 R 7 W 2 / Init +3 Percep +6

"Have we questioned the sick folk to see if they have anything they have been doing that is simular to one another? Eating the same berries, using the same water source?"

He asked with a frown trying to figure out what could be causeing any of this.


Male Human Cavalier (Order of the Lion) 4, HP 37/40, F: +6, R: +2, W: -1, Init: +1, Per: -2, Sense Motive: 0 (-2 if challenged), AC: Dorick 18, Caragus 19

"That is a good question, Francoix. We should put it to the sick."


Urban Druid 4 [ HP: 31/31 AC: 16 T: 11 FF: 15 | CMD 16 | Fort +7(+5), Ref +3, Will +7 +1 vs death +2 vs div/ench| Init +1 Perc: +10/+12 scavenger] Goodberries 3/4

"In some remote villages, the source of a lot of fevers is traced to rodents. Like those little longtailed hoppers we've seen around. Could be a disease they carry, or fleas upon them, or maybe something in their flesh--maybe someone caught and ate them without adequate cooking."

"In the morning, I can prepare a spell that can help us identify the disease, but disease can spread quickly. We shouldn't wait to see what else we can learn--but I will leave it to Soroya to decide how much questioning the ill can take at once. Just if you go looking too deep, take care not to expose yourself."

Diagnose disease is on the druid list so I can prep it for the next day. I'll also prepare delay disease.

Kalig will thank Brekka for her help, and tell them they will reserve her medicines if the guards fall ill, so the town is not left defenseless.


Back at Soraya's infirmary, Rolf the woodcutter struggles against the pain running along his limbs, centered upon his joints, to rise from his pallet and answer your questions. With less eagerness, the other two patients also provide what information they can.

Like the rest of Haven's settlers, their diets are rather limited. Salted meat and pickled vegetables from the original caravan's stores are the mainstay, supplemented by trout caught by the town's own fishers or sea fish traded by the locathah. Rolf eats berries collected by the local foragers, but the other two do not. Rolf and the cobbler drink water from rain barrels in the heart of Haven, while the farmer has his own barrel beside his cramped farmstead cabin.

On the following day, Buckel the guard and another farmer also report to Soraya's infirmary with similar symptoms. Meanwhile, Rolf and Davin's symptoms progress to nausea and vomiting while their fever and joint pain deepen.


Urban Druid 4 [ HP: 31/31 AC: 16 T: 11 FF: 15 | CMD 16 | Fort +7(+5), Ref +3, Will +7 +1 vs death +2 vs div/ench| Init +1 Perc: +10/+12 scavenger] Goodberries 3/4

Maybe I/Kalig was being too subtle conveying the information, but I was hoping some folks would go look for the rodents. She would clarify that if no one did it.

Once she has the spells prepared, Kalig casts diagnose disease on the most afflicted patient.

She also casts delay disease on Rolf and Davin.
Caster Level Check: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18
Caster Level Check: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19

If it works, she sternly advises them that any abatement they feel is temporary and they are to stay here and rest while they are treated.

She will assist with treating the injury. The diagnose spells should give her a +4 bonus to Heal if she's been able to identify the ailment. This can either be an aid to Soraya's treatment, or if Soraya as an NPC can aid her, that's great. These are all "Treat Disease" checks.

Heal Davin: 1d20 + 8 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 8 + 4 = 22
Heal Rolf: 1d20 + 8 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 8 + 4 = 27
Heal Buckel: 1d20 + 8 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 8 + 4 = 22
Heal Farmer: 1d20 + 8 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 8 + 4 = 32


Male Human Cavalier (Order of the Lion) 4, HP 37/40, F: +6, R: +2, W: -1, Init: +1, Per: -2, Sense Motive: 0 (-2 if challenged), AC: Dorick 18, Caragus 19

"I am little good at spotting vermin but I will gladly help protect those who can.", says Dorick, showing some awareness of his strengths and weaknesses.


Kalig:
Through your divination, you identify that all four men have contracted typhus - specifically murine typhus, a variety of the fever that is spread by fleas carried upon rats and other rodents. In addition to headache, joint pain, and vomiting, about half of patients will develop brain-related symptoms such as stupor, loss of balance, or even seizures.

If left untreated, this disease can be fatal, especially among the young, the old, and those whose bodies have been weakened or strained.
Nevertheless, this diagnosis is still a mercy: Rodent-borne fleas are also known to spread plague, such as those that decimated Iobaria to the north.

Kalig's magic gets Rolf and Davin back on their feet, and the men are amazed by the effects. Her ministrations also leave the other two patients feeling quite better. Through the pain and feverish fog seizing at his head, the farmer also regains enough wherewithal to offer his thanks and introduce himself as Pellin.


Male Human Rogue 4 HP 25/25 AC 17, T 13 FF 14 CMD 15 / F 1 R 7 W 2 / Init +3 Percep +6

"By catch do you mean alive? Not sure I can manage that. If a few of the little buggers dead is what you need well I think my reflexes can manage that. "

He paused and then shook his head for a moment.

"Cats' we need to trade for a whole boatload of cats."

He said with a chuckle.


Urban Druid 4 [ HP: 31/31 AC: 16 T: 11 FF: 15 | CMD 16 | Fort +7(+5), Ref +3, Will +7 +1 vs death +2 vs div/ench| Init +1 Perc: +10/+12 scavenger] Goodberries 3/4

Kalig tends to the patients carefully, though her bedside manner leaves a lot to be desired. Once done, she leaves patients in Soraya's more than capable hands, knowing the witch will not let the patients wander off too soon. She tells Soraya the diagnosis and asks her if she knows of any alchemical insect repellents. After cleaning herself she tells the group and Lord Aristide about the diagnosis of typhus, and that it is caused by fleas,usually carried by rodents.

"So Dorick was right about biting insects, just a different kind. We need to urge everyone not just to trap rodents but keep clean. Anyone with pets also needs to keep their pets clean. At least this disease won't afflict the leshys, and likely not the locathah. Lord Aristide, the dwarves should be warned. Brightshield's cat mentioned there were no mice to catch on the barges, so they were unlikely to have brought the illness or take the creatures with them, but someone might have been bitten while they were here. I don't like those bigoted bastards, but they are still our strategic allies. I do not know if the Keleshites would have brought it or would have been exposed. Now for me, I need a bath and then to wash my donkey. If you see me bruised tomorrow, you will know why."


F Human Druid (menhir Savant) 3, HP: 32/32| AC: 18 T:12 FF: 16 | Fort: +5 | Ref: +3 | Will: +10| Init: +5| Perception: +11

drat, I missed something Mia could actually help in haha, oh well.

Mia offers each of the afflicted a good berry as Kalig works.

Here, this should help keep your strength up, and shouldn't be hard to keep down long enough to help. She whispers sweetly to each one.

She then hands Soraya 5 potions of remove sickness while Kalig works Here, give them these potions in the morning. It should help them fight off whatever may remain of the disease. If you need more, please come ask.

giving up a days worth of potions to help out.

at the comment about fleas, Mia thinks quietly to herself for a bit before cautiously approaching Kalig.

I.. I um, have an idea. I, er, that is we, may be able to make a potion that, if fed to animals, can keep them safe from fleas, and in turn us as well. I don't know how much of a long term plan it would, um, be. But if something needs done immediately, it uh.. um.. well it may be able to help. However, It would likely require um... time and some uh,, some trial and um, error.


Urban Druid 4 [ HP: 31/31 AC: 16 T: 11 FF: 15 | CMD 16 | Fort +7(+5), Ref +3, Will +7 +1 vs death +2 vs div/ench| Init +1 Perc: +10/+12 scavenger] Goodberries 3/4

"If there's a chance it'll help, then by the gods, work on it, girl," Kalig says. "You don't need my permission. Do you need help gathering ingredients?"


Male Human Cavalier (Order of the Lion) 4, HP 37/40, F: +6, R: +2, W: -1, Init: +1, Per: -2, Sense Motive: 0 (-2 if challenged), AC: Dorick 18, Caragus 19

"Mia, your potions have saved us all on numerous occasions. I think this will be another!"


The patients graciously accept the proffered goodberries.

"Um, any chance we could get some more of those berries?" Rolf asks nervously, eyeing the earthy potions that Mia also provides. "After all, you know what they say about a spoonful of honey helping the medicine go down?"

Despite the patients' trepidation about the potions' taste, Soraya is immensely grateful for both Mia and Kalig's contribution to this potential crisis. She is not familiar with typhus and was struggling to figure out a food or water-borne ailment.

"In hindsight, it does make sense," she states. "Of the people reporting even the slightest symptoms, none of their homes sit near Seraphina's. It almost seems like the area around her home is a little island of safety. I guess that her cat has been doing his duty keeping at least a part of Haven clear of these flea-carrying rodents."


Male Human Cavalier (Order of the Lion) 4, HP 37/40, F: +6, R: +2, W: -1, Init: +1, Per: -2, Sense Motive: 0 (-2 if challenged), AC: Dorick 18, Caragus 19

"We need more cats then, and good Taldor dogs to keep order!", Dorick chuckles. His Taldan affection for dogs is obvious.


Soraya nods in agreement.

"Indeed. That is why such animals were first domesticated," Soraya agrees. "The cats not only keep vermin from depleting precious food stores, but they also prevent such creatures from serving as carriers of disease. Dogs also serve to protect against slightly larger threats. The fact that both creatures are delightful to have around is merely a grand side benefit.

"Of course, importing cats and dogs may be the strangest request made of a trading partner."


Male Human Cavalier (Order of the Lion) 4, HP 37/40, F: +6, R: +2, W: -1, Init: +1, Per: -2, Sense Motive: 0 (-2 if challenged), AC: Dorick 18, Caragus 19

"Hardly! Taldans love dogs, and cats are a practical necessity with food around."


Urban Druid 4 [ HP: 31/31 AC: 16 T: 11 FF: 15 | CMD 16 | Fort +7(+5), Ref +3, Will +7 +1 vs death +2 vs div/ench| Init +1 Perc: +10/+12 scavenger] Goodberries 3/4

"A shame we found no strays in that ruined fishing village. I wonder if there are feral cats in the area. Adults may be untameable, but not so much their kits."


F Human Druid (menhir Savant) 3, HP: 32/32| AC: 18 T:12 FF: 16 | Fort: +5 | Ref: +3 | Will: +10| Init: +5| Perception: +11

you would be surprised what a bit of love and a lot of food can do, even for the older cats. Mia says as she hands each of the patients another good berry.

Here, try not to eat it today, but if you feel like you must then go ahead.


Urban Druid 4 [ HP: 31/31 AC: 16 T: 11 FF: 15 | CMD 16 | Fort +7(+5), Ref +3, Will +7 +1 vs death +2 vs div/ench| Init +1 Perc: +10/+12 scavenger] Goodberries 3/4

"We are druids, we can find connections with animals others cannot. I am speaking for what your average farmer can accomplish. Feral cats--not mere strays, but born-wild ones that never grew up close to people--are dangerous and have a wicked bite. I knew a man who had to have his hand amputated due to an infected bite from a wild cat who lived under his barn."

Trufax. Have a friend who is a vet who told me about this. Cat bites--real ones that deeply break skin, not play bites from a pet--are awful and often require heavy antibiotics and sometimes even surgery to treat.

"Mia, could you summon some cats? I know a summoning doesn't last long, but maybe they could spread some scent around the town."


"Even if we can't summon any cats, and even if it takes a while to convince a trading partner to deliver some, there is another option," Soraya adds. "Plains and grasslands often host populations of small wildcats. Domestication might take some work, but we could try enticing a few feral specimens to at least take up residence on the periphery of Haven. We'd just have to convince our hunters not to hurt them."


Male Human Cavalier (Order of the Lion) 4, HP 37/40, F: +6, R: +2, W: -1, Init: +1, Per: -2, Sense Motive: 0 (-2 if challenged), AC: Dorick 18, Caragus 19

"Given the option of being overrun with diseased vermin, I think they may acquiese.", replies Dorick.


Urban Druid 4 [ HP: 31/31 AC: 16 T: 11 FF: 15 | CMD 16 | Fort +7(+5), Ref +3, Will +7 +1 vs death +2 vs div/ench| Init +1 Perc: +10/+12 scavenger] Goodberries 3/4

Kalig nods at Soraya. "Mia, why don't we see if we can find some cats in the grasslands? They'll be skittish, but if we prep the right spells we might be able to convince a few to re-nest by the grain silos. The wild cats won't be pets, but they might let us take weaned kits who are ready to leave the nest, and domesticate them a bit."

1,601 to 1,631 of 1,631 << first < prev | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Beyond the World's Edge: A Frontier Campaign All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.