Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Unbinding the Fetters - Disciples of Master Gond (Inactive)

Game Master Mark Sweetman

The path of those that aspired to be students is taking them to the Kingdom of the Impossible where they will engage in a tournament...


151 to 200 of 1,692 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Male Half-Elf Monk 2/Fighter 2

Round 4

Nisk rushes up to the weights, surprised at such a silly challenge, and then pushes into them.

Bullrush Attempt:1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25

The man slams through the weights without slowing at all, laughing as they wave behind him.


Male Human (Kellid) Brawler(fighter):3/Urban Barbarian:2

Obstacle 3

Torgus attempts to charge through the weights!
Bullrush Attempt:1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13

He gets stuck in them and moves back out for a second attempt. He notices Nisk rushing by and hurries back to get his lead.

Bullrush Attempt:1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21

He gets passes that and gets to the next one, ending round 4.


Male Halfling Monk (Ki Mystic, Qinggong, Sensei) 4

Bandogrim sees the gauntlet and decides to just plow right through it, head first.

Bullrush Attempt 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12

Unfortunately, he gets caught up in the attempt.


M Elf Flowing Monk 5

While the others took off down the obstacle course, Cassadar only stood there and examined it, looking it over. It was not so much that he was considering going through it, more that he was considering just how to go through it. He knew his strengths and weaknesses, but would it be better to rely on his strengths and get through it quickly, or work on polishing his weaknesses, so if the situation arose, he would not have been as incapable as he might be.

He was minutes in consideration, then straightened, coming to a decision before attempting the course.

Obstacle 1
Climb:1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22
Dropping into the pit was simple, and climbing was not too difficult, making it something that he could manage without any particular difficulty, but it was just the first obstacle and he knew this was not indicative of the course as a whole...

Obstacle 2
Perception:1d20 + 10 ⇒ (20) + 10 = 30
...and his pace brought him to the murky water quickly, the stones were easy for him to see, and crossing it was just as easy. He allowed himself a small smile. His dedication to wind and water was what let him spot those stones easier, he figured...

Obstacle 3
Acrobatics:1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25
...just as he made it to the ropes. This was something that he knew better than to attempt, since pushing through was not something his philosophy followed.. Not when there were serviceable spaces for him to flow through...

Obstacle 4
Acrobatics:1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13, 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27
...It was somehow trying to traverse under the blanket that brought him some difficulty. He got bound up in the sand, and could not progress, to the point where he had to back out, and try it again, figuring the knack for it after some struggling.


Primordial Ooze

Current Position (at end of Round 4):
Passed Obstacle 3, attempting Obstacle 4: Cassadar (who passes it in Round 5), Torgus, Nisk
Passed Obstacle 2, attempting Obstacle 3: Bandogrim (who has a round 4 action pending)

Obstacle 5:

The track narrows as it passes between two walls and you are confronted by a sparring dummy crowded in the confined space. As you near the dummy it animates and seeks to bar your passage.

The dummy attempts a bull rush against you with a CMB of +8. Roll it against you as an attack as you attempt to pass.

Sense Motive DC 20:
As the dummy moves you realize the move it is using is close to a standard judo throw and you are able to better defend against it.
Get a +4 to your CMD against it's bull rush

Knowledge (Religion) DC 12:
The movement of the dummy is familiar as it is part of Irori's teachings. You are able to better predict the dummy's movement and better defend against it.
Get a +4 to your CMD against it's bull rush

Take appropriate actions up to the end of the 6th round


Male Half-Elf Monk 2/Fighter 2

Nisk looks at the blanket and sand, analyzing for a moment, then awkwardly attempts to crabwalk across.

Acrobatics:1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25

As he passes through, he gains the hang of it, moving much more quickly as he comes out of the sheet, then moving to the next challenge. Down the trench he ran, readying to strike the dummy until seeing it animate. "Damn!" The man yelled as the waving arms attempted to throw him backward.

Sense Motive:1d20 + 15 ⇒ (7) + 15 = 22
Dummy Bull Rush:1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22

The half-elf slips by, barely, and mostly thanks to recognizing the standard throw that was used.


Male Human (Kellid) Brawler(fighter):3/Urban Barbarian:2

Seeing Nisk do it the Brawling Bear attempts to imitate a crab,
Acrobatics:1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16

But due to his large farm he is having trouble doing so and slips down on his face, with a roar of frustration he picks himself back up and attempts it again.
Acrobatics:1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27
And swiftly crawls through it the second time and getting to the obstacle 5 at the end round 6.


Primordial Ooze

I'll allow for Bandogrim and Cassadar to catch up and Javi to make an appearance before posting up the final couple of stages.


Male Halfling Monk (Ki Mystic, Qinggong, Sensei) 4

Sorry, I misread the post-- for some reason, I thought it said the third round, rather than the fourth.

The halfling tries again to push his way through the rope gauntlet...

Round 4
Bullrush 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15

...this time, successfully slamming the weights aside as he passes. He then rushes on to the next obstacle, this time putting extra effort into the attempt to ensure he does not get slowed down again.

Round 5
SWIFT: Ki Point for +4 to Skill Check
STANDARD: Acrobatics 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (14) + 15 = 29

As Bandogrim approaches the sparring dummy, he sees it lash out at him...

Round 6
Bullrush 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21
Bandogrim's Knowledge (religion) 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22

...and recognizes the attack from an old manual his teacher had once drawn for him. The halfling slips to the side, avoiding the animated dummy, thanks to his teacher's preparedness.


HP 54/54 :: AC 24 T 19 FF 17 :: CMD 24 :: F +8 R +12 W +4 :: Initiative +6 Perception +12 (+2 traps) :: Google Doc

The young half-elf (who has somehow successfully melted into the background until now) finally steps forward, giving the obstacles a look. He's only a step behind the others when he launches into action. His sun-darkened and gangly limbs pump furious as he rushes towards the log of the first obstacle, hitting it nearly at a run.

Obstacle 1 - Trying to hit the first two obstacles in one round - using the accelerated rules Voice gave us. I'll apply a -5 penalty (?) to do it accelerated.
Acrobatics to cross the log 1d20 + 12 - 5 ⇒ (16) + 12 - 5 = 23.

As he approaches the pond (hopefully still on round 1), he looks for the steps some of the others used.

Obstacle 2 - hopefully still in round 1 - "Spot the Stepping Stones"
Perception 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16.

without DC's i'm not sure if he was successful through obstacle 2. Let me know and i'll get followup posts up.


Primordial Ooze

We didn't have the accelerated rules in place for the other guys yet, so I'll take that as your round 1 and round 2 rolls - which are both successful. I'll trial the acceleration rules on the second run through...

So four more single round attempts for yourself to catch up.


HP 54/54 :: AC 24 T 19 FF 17 :: CMD 24 :: F +8 R +12 W +4 :: Initiative +6 Perception +12 (+2 traps) :: Google Doc

No problem.

The young half-elf continues past the putrid pond...

Round 3 - obstacle 3: Bend like a reed DC 18 - Acrobatics 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (13) + 12 = 25. Success!
... and when he hits the shelter with its hanging ropes, he doesn't even hesitate, vaulting into a diving roll to come up on the other side.

Round 4 - obstacle 4: Make like a Snake DC 17 - Escape Artist 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (15) + 12 = 27. Success!
As he turns the corner, dives head-first under the blanket. His momentum alone carries him most of the way through the sand, and he wriggles the rest of the way without losing much speed. He's back on his feet nearly without missing a beat, sand spraying as he rounds corner into the confined spaces of the dummy.

Round 5 - obstacle 5: Sense motive DC 20 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10. Nope.
Dummy Bull-rush vs. CMD of 19 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12. Negative!

Despite never having seen such a contraption, the skinny young man has no problem slipping by it on the right side with a quick somersault.

He lands lightly, eyes scanning and body tensed for the next obstacle. He gives a half-smile and a self-depricating shrug to the others.

Dang… my luck is in!


Primordial Ooze

Cassadar will have to catch up when he can.

Obstacle 6

The path dips into a deep pool of water, there doesn't seem to be any specific obstacle apart from just swimming.

Just make a swim check to move and you shall pass: DC 10[/dice]

Obstacle 7

Nearing the end of the course, the path ascends onto a series of raised platforms. The entry way is lined with leaves and foilage that seem wet. You will need to push them aside to get through.

[ooc]For this one, a simple Acrobatics DC 10 will mean you maintain balance on the beam.

Take another couple of rounds worth of actions - through to Round 8


Male Halfling Monk (Ki Mystic, Qinggong, Sensei) 4

The little monk's trademark grin fell away when he saw the pool-- swimming had never been Bandogrim's strongest pursuit. He reaches deep within himself in order to draw on all the skill he can muster...

Round 7
SWIFT: Ki point for +4 Skill Bonus
STANDARD: Swimming 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8

...getting nowhere as he kicks and sputters. I can't fail here, Bandogrim thinks to himself as the water kicks up around his nose. Gotta keep moving.

Round 8
SWIFT: Ki point for +4 Skill Bonus
STANDARD: Swimming 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20

This time, he kicks forward and pushes on to the other side, angry at himself for the loss of time.

Bandogrim has 5 Ki points remaining for the day.


Primordial Ooze

Read After You've Taken a Dip in the Pool:
As you wade through the pool you find that it is quite warm, almost as hot as a steaming bath drawn for you in a tavern. By the time you reach the other side, you have started sweating a little from the heat and are quite flushed


Male Half-Elf Monk 2/Fighter 2

Nisk dives into the pool quickly, and is surprised at it's warmth. There's more to this than there seems. He thinks, trying to keep on his toes.

1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18

Nisk pulls himself dripping from the side, smiling at Bandogrim trying to cross, and continues up to the balance beam, moving as quickly as he can across it.

1d20 + 9 ⇒ (9) + 9 = 18

Definitely too easy. The man thinks as he moves ahead toward the plants, trying to remain wary.


Male Human (Kellid) Brawler(fighter):3/Urban Barbarian:2

Round 7
As Torgus gets beyond the sand, eyes the training dummy as he stares at the wooden thing he gives it a snarl as he charges it.

Sense Motive:1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17
Bull rush:1d20 + 13 ⇒ (13) + 13 = 26

He mows down the puppet and as he sees the pond and cannonballs into it ,then he bellows like a bear as glides through the water.

Swim:1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18

As he reaches the otherside the same time as Cotton, "Glad you found your water legs."and thus ends round 8.


Primordial Ooze

Nisk - wasn't 100% clear, but Obstacle #7 had you brushing up against the plants already

Read after you've ascended the beam while brushing against the plants:
The 'wetness' you noticed earlier is more apparent as you pass through the foilage. The leaves of the plants are shedding oil that is being smeared over the exposed parts of your body - mainly your face, hands and feet.

Your pores freshly opened from the warm water the oil seeps into the top layer of your skin. An itching and burning sensation starts to become apparent....


HP 54/54 :: AC 24 T 19 FF 17 :: CMD 24 :: F +8 R +12 W +4 :: Initiative +6 Perception +12 (+2 traps) :: Google Doc

"Crap.." Javi mutters when he sees the water, "… not really a swimmer." Not willing to stop, however, he wades in awkwardly.

Round 6: Obstacle 6 - Swim DC 10 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4. FAIL! Booooo…

Geez… this is warm. he thinks as he flounders in the water.

Round 7: Obstacle 6 - Swim DC 10 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17. Success.

Quickly he finds the edge of the pool, using it to pull him through the liquid, instead of actually swimming.

Round 8: Obstacle 7 - Platform w/ foliage - Acrobatics DC 10 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (11) + 12 = 23. Success.

Forgetting the frustration of the water, he is quick to dodge through the plants on the raised platforms. Almost immediately the leaves begin to take effect, and Javi absent-mindedly scratches at his exposed skin.

Would his ranks in Craft: Alchemy give him any insights here? Alchemy 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14.


Primordial Ooze

Torgus - just noticed that you bull rushed the animated dummy rather than dodgeing it's attack. However was still a reasonable approach to passing the obstacle so no issues from my side :)

Javi - no real insight from Craft (Alchemy), but all will become clear soon enough...

Lastly was hoping that Cassadar would catch up, but he is obviously having some net access difficulties so won't hold everyone else back.

Nisk and Javi:
Could I get a Fort save please


Male Half-Elf Monk 2/Fighter 2

Figures... Fort Save:1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26


HP 54/54 :: AC 24 T 19 FF 17 :: CMD 24 :: F +8 R +12 W +4 :: Initiative +6 Perception +12 (+2 traps) :: Google Doc

DM/Nisk:
Lol. I smelled a fort save coming on. 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24.


Primordial Ooze

Nisk feels the burning assault of the oil into his skin, but is able to ward off the worst of the effects just leaving him in some discomfort. No effect

Obstacle 8:

From the raised platform there are a series of monkey bars leading to the next platform. The surface of the bars is not smooth, and they look to be covered with sandpaper....

Swing Gracefully: Acrobatics (DC 20)
Power your Way: Strength check (DC 14)

Everyone can take another rounds worth of actions - (though I need a Fort save from Javi before it) which will bring us to Round 9 of proceedings.

After you pass Obstacle 7, I need a Fort save against the plant oil.


Primordial Ooze

Ninja'ed by Javi - have put in a new post so it doesn't get eaten by the edit bug.
No effect on you either Javi


Male Half-Elf Monk 2/Fighter 2

Nisk grins at having caught up to the new half-elf. "Come on, buddy, let's see if you're fast enough to finish with me!" Upon seeing the next obstacle, Nisk looks askance at the sandpaper, deciding to just slam through instead.

Strength Check:1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7

Painfully striking it and failing to do so.


Male Halfling Monk (Ki Mystic, Qinggong, Sensei) 4

Emerging from the water, Bandogrim rushes up to the raised platform and pushes through some foliage to cross a narrow beam...

Round 9
Acrobatics 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (13) + 11 = 24

...but as he continues on, he starts to notice a burning feeling on his arms and face.

Fortitude Save 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17


Male Human (Kellid) Brawler(fighter):3/Urban Barbarian:2

Torgus gets out of the pond feeling a little hot, but moves his soaky wet burly body to the balance beam. Acrobatics:1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15

Brawling Bear Beats Balance Beam (say that five time fast hehe), as he gets across he notices something after he passes those plants, Fort check:1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10doh! of course! End of round 9.


Primordial Ooze

Bandogrim's exposed skin starts to feel as though it is melting, and it becomes more difficult to concentrate. Treat it as sickened

After the Brawling Bear Belligerently Beats Balance Beam by Balefully Blasting it with Boasting and Bravado the exposed areas of his skin feel like they are afire with pain and the soft tissue around his eyes starts to swell, constricting his vision. Treat it as sickened with an extra -2 to Perception due to the swelling around your eyes

Everyone take a round 10 action as well.


Male Human (Kellid) Brawler(fighter):3/Urban Barbarian:2

"Aahh THIS IS WORST THEN THE LAST TIME I HAD FLEAS!" As he feels his skin a fire, and his vision getting a little blocked he growls in frustration and charges the bars.
Might makes right Powering through them!1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18

Brawling Bear Barrels through the bars,(darn it you beat me!hehe) he awaits his next challenge while itching away at the oil and mutters "I hope we get another water obstacle."


HP 54/54 :: AC 24 T 19 FF 17 :: CMD 24 :: F +8 R +12 W +4 :: Initiative +6 Perception +12 (+2 traps) :: Google Doc

Dude, you guys are killing me!

Round 9: Obstacle 8 - Swing Gracefully - Acro DC 18 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (10) + 12 = 22. Success!

The Wasp smiles as his fellow half-elf's fingers slip from the rungs, using his mis-placement to guide his own attempt. "I think we'll see who's fastest." he says with a smirk as he glides through the obstacle.

I don't have an obstacle to take me to round 10. :)


Male Halfling Monk (Ki Mystic, Qinggong, Sensei) 4

The itch and burn begins to gnaw heavily at the little man's mind as he started across the monkey bars.

Round 10
SWIFT: Ki Point for +4 to Skill Check
STANDARD: Acrobatics 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (2) + 13 = 15

He can barely think for the pain, even trying to dig deep into his reserves; but it wasn't enough-- not nearly enough to get across.


Primordial Ooze

Final Obstacle:

The final obstacle looks a little bit like this. A twin set of rails too far apart to grip and a bamboo rod that can be used to straddle between them and 'shuffle' forwards upon.

The obstacle is passed through a Strength check - DC 22
However this can be lowered by descriptive use of other skills that you think would help in this situation, like Climb or Acrobatics. You can roll those skills against a DC 10 for +2 to your Strength check, or DC 20 for a +4. You have to nominate what DC you aim for and cannot 'downgrade' the attempt after the roll.
Any burning oil penalties continue to apply.

Take actions to Round 12, or until you finish.


HP 54/54 :: AC 24 T 19 FF 17 :: CMD 24 :: F +8 R +12 W +4 :: Initiative +6 Perception +12 (+2 traps) :: Google Doc

Str check DC 22?! Facepalm…

Javi slides to a halt when he sees the final obstacle. His mind races, looking for an edge. Mind made up, he digs deep, reaching for that inner power that he so often uses, and his legs respond with a surprising amount of power. He flies towards the device, vaulting up with enhanced speed. The bamboo pole hits his palms easily enough,and his momentum carries him down the strange path. For a few seconds he uses his momentum and some halting jerks to progress, but his fingers give out…

SPLASH!

Round 10: Final obstacle:
Ki point (2/3 remaining) to boost speed for a jump attempt - Acro DC 20 to boost roll by +4
--> Acro 1d20 + 12 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 12 + 8 = 23.
Climb check to boost strength check by an additional +2 - DC 10 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11.
Str check DC 22 1d20 + 1 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 1 + 4 + 2 = 12.

He comes up sputtering, but his eyes hold resolve. Once he's back in position, he shakes his hair out, uselessly trying to dry his hands on his pants. The inner power answers his call once more, and his feet thunder towards the final test. Again his momentum carries him far, and he's able to hop a solid two-thirds of the length of the obstacle.

He can visualize his finish, and he begins to celebrate in his mind, Just about the--- SPLORSH

Round 11: Final obstacle (take 2!):
Ki point (1/3 remaining) to boost speed for a jump attempt - Acro DC 20 to boost roll by +4
--> Acro 1d20 + 12 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 12 + 8 = 31.
Climb check to boost strength check by an additional +2 - DC 10 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17.
Wracking by brain to come up with another roll… not getting anything.
Str check DC 22 1d20 + 1 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 1 + 4 + 2 = 15.

Dragging himself from the water one last time. The determination is replaced with smoldering frustration. "I got this!" he growls to no one in particular. He takes a calming breath, gauging the distances more carefully this time.

His feet are noticeably slower on his approach this time, the fatigue showing. Regardless, he sails fast and far. He grabs for the bamboo bar...

... and catches nothing but air. His third failure turns into a fantastic-looking belly-flop. Arms pin-wheeling, legs pumping, eyes wide.

SPLAAAAAAASH!

You wonder if he's actually hurt he stays under so long. He rests at the bottom of the murky pool. Maybe they won't notice if I don't come up.

Resigned, he finally surfaces, finding a place out of the way to watch the others try their hand at the daunting contraption.

I knew my luck wouldn't hold...

Round 12: Final obstacle (LAST CHANCE!):
Jump to get distance (no ki point this time) - Acro DC 20 to boost roll by +4
--> Acro 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (10) + 12 = 22.
Climb check to boost strength check by an additional +2 - DC 10 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7.
Um.. perception to better judge the distance and angle for +2 - DC 10 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13.
Str check DC 22 1d20 + 1 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 1 + 4 + 2 = 14.


Male Half-Elf Monk 2/Fighter 2

Round 9

Nisk, enraged by the other man getting ahead, throws himself into the bars again.

Strength:1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13

Round 10

And again.

Strength:1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16

Finally managing to get past, angry but moving ahead.

He spots the slider and, confused analyzes it for a moment, watching Javi fall multiple times. Looks like mostly strength. Wonderful!

Round 11

Nisk rushes up, past Javi trying a second time, and throws himself bodily at the pipe.

Acrobatics For +4:1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27
Climb for +2:1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17
Perception for +4:1d20 + 12 ⇒ (11) + 12 = 23
Perhaps a +1 or 2 for the Charge bonus from Dragon Style?
Strength Check:1d20 + 3 + 4 + 2 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 3 + 4 + 2 + 4 = 16

Sliding across he grins at his own luck. Show that Mwangi Basterg who's not worth this--

SPLASH!!

Round 12

Upon dragging himself from the water Nisk moves back to the pipe, annoyed at the other man being so close to the finish, but ok when he falls. He leaps for it once more, sure in his chances this time!

Acrobatics For +4:1d20 + 9 ⇒ (10) + 9 = 19
Climb for +2:1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20
Perception for +4:1d20 + 12 ⇒ (5) + 12 = 17
Perhaps a +1 or 2 for the Charge bonus from Dragon Style?
Strength Check:1d20 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 3 + 2 = 24

And despite his miscalculation and lousy beginning jump, Nisk barely manages to hang on until the ending platform, then catches his breath for a moment before raising his soaked arms in triumph.


Male Human (Kellid) Brawler(fighter):3/Urban Barbarian:2

As Torgus gets to the rails, he looks to the bamboo rod and gets the idea. As he moves up to the rails and puts the staff inbetween them, Torgus slowly swings his lower legs to assist his arms in moving forward on the rails. As Torgus notices the added help of this technique, he figures out he can use a hand motion from scaling a wall to crawl the staff to the other end.
Acrobatics(DC-10):1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15
Climb(DC-10)1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23
Str check:1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24

Torgus makes it to the other side and lets out a loud ROAR!! Which ends his round 11.


Male Halfling Monk (Ki Mystic, Qinggong, Sensei) 4

Bandogrim tries to push through the burning sensation in order to make it past this obstacle.

Round 11
SWIFT: Ki Point for +4 to Skill Check
STANDARD: Acrobatics 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (3) + 13 = 16

He just can't take his mind off the itch. Inching forward, Bandogrim keeps trying to move through.

Round 12
SWIFT: Ki Point for +4 to Skill Check
STANDARD: Acrobatics 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (17) + 13 = 30

Having finally crossed the bars, Bandogrim moves towards the final obstacle.


Primordial Ooze

Torgus finishes in Round 11
Nisk finishes in Round 12
The rest can keep going till they get finished.

Feedback on what you liked and didn't like on the course is also welcomed :)
That way I can fine tune for the next run through, which will be a bit more like this.


Male Halfling Monk (Ki Mystic, Qinggong, Sensei) 4

Ooof... down to my last two Ki points, and a Strength challenge comes up. I gotta go for the DC 20 Acrobatics check, since this would be literally impossible for Bandogrim otherwise, thanks to the burning oil. Even so, if I make the Acro check, I'll need to Nat20 the Strength to pass the final challenge.

Lining himself up for the attempt, Bandogrim resolves to grab the bar high-- rather than completing the task from below, while hanging, he'll try to scoot the bar along while sitting atop it. But it was set high enough that performing this stunt would be no easy task.

Round 13
SWIFT: Ki Point for +4 to Skill Check
STANDARD: Acrobatics 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (17) + 13 = 30

Woo! I have one Ki Point left. If I can't make this roll now, I'll need to Nat20 to pass. As it is, I need a 16 on the roll.

Sitting on the bar, Bandogrim holds his balance, contorts his torso, then straightens suddenly to kick forward, hoping to move along down the rails.

Round 14
SWIFT: Ki Point for +4 to Ability Check
STANDARD: Strength Check 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11

Darn. Time to roll till I Nat20, I suppose. I'm putting the rest of my rolls in a spoiler tag, so as not to crap up the thread with a million rolls.

Bandogrim feels utterly drained, on the verge of vomiting due to whatever poisonous plant he had encountered. Still, he will not stop here, not so very near the end. He is determined to finish this course, even if it takes him all day.

Bandogrim's remaining attempts:

Round 15
Strength Check 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17

Round 16
Strength Check 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19

Round 17
Strength Check 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11

Round 18
Strength Check 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16

Round 19
Strength Check 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19

Round 20
Strength Check 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7

Round 21
Strength Check 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13

Round 22
Strength Check 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14

Round 23
Strength Check 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17

Round 24
Strength Check 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8

Round 25
Strength Check 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17

Round 26
Strength Check 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14

Round 27
Strength Check 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11

Round 28
Strength Check 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17

Round 29
Strength Check 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9

Round 30
Strength Check 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16

Through Round 30, I still haven't passed the final obstacle. Should I keep rolling?


Primordial Ooze
DM - Voice of the Voiceless wrote:
However this can be lowered by descriptive use of other skills that you think would help in this situation, like Climb or Acrobatics. You can roll those skills against a DC 10 for +2 to your Strength check, or DC 20 for a +4. You have to nominate what DC you aim for and cannot 'downgrade' the attempt after the roll.

Bandogrim - You might have missed the bit I've reposted above. This was meant to allow for a leg up for those that were a bit lacking in Strength.

So you could make a bunch of skill (or even abilities checks - like a Wisdom check to control your breathing / Constitution check to ignore the pain from lactic acid / etc) to give you bonuses on the final check.

So if you passed one skill check at DC 20, and a couple at DC 10 - it would give you a 8 point reduction on the Strength check DC - making it a much more manageable 14


HP 54/54 :: AC 24 T 19 FF 17 :: CMD 24 :: F +8 R +12 W +4 :: Initiative +6 Perception +12 (+2 traps) :: Google Doc

As Nisk, then the Big, Bearded Bear both succeed, Javi jumps back up… unwilling to fail. He waits for the halfling to make an attempt or two before he jumps back in. He charges once again, but once again falls… doing his best to shrug off the mounting embarrassment.

Round 13:
Perception DC 10 to watch the successful passes - +2 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11. Yep.
Acro DC 20 to jump far for +4 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (12) + 12 = 24. Yep.
STR DC 22 1d20 + 1 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 1 + 4 + 2 = 18. DAAAANG!

Maybe Bandogrim's got something for me to learn from, he thinks as he trudges back to the front. He waits, watches, and tries to apply what he observes. With the fatigue taking its toll, the Wasp takes one last, long look at his enemy. Then he digs deep one last time, knowing this is the last of his inner power reserves. Sprint. Jump. Fly. Grab. Clang. Clang. Clang. Slide…

… and Javi's feet finally hit the ground on the far side of the water.

Round 14:
Gut-check - Fortitude DC 10 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8. Nope.
Perception DC 10 to learn from Cotton's failure - +2 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12. Yep.
Burn ki point (last one) to boost speed and jump Acro DC 20 to jump far for +4 1d20 + 12 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 12 + 8 = 25. Yep.
STR DC 22 1d20 + 1 + 2 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 1 + 2 + 4 = 23. BOOM! FINALLY!

Even if he had the energy, he wouldn't cry out in success, knowing first-hand how hard the test must be for the smaller halfling. His sympathy overcomes his sense of competition, and he begins watching the smaller fighter's attempts, finding the little things that go wrong and how they can improve... constantly encouraging Bandrogrim to succeed.

"YOU CAN DO IT. KEEP YORU FEET UP THERE. DON'T PUT SO MUCH EFFORT INTO THE KICK AT THE END! COME ON, COTTON!"

I'm gonna give Cotton some boosts as well, if you're okay with that, Voice.
Perception - to see how the halfling is missing the mark (DC 10 for a +2) 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9. DAng.. so close!
Acrobatics - to give insights into improving the halfling's jumping style (DC 20 for a +4) 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (12) + 12 = 24. Bingo!
Diplomacy - to encourage him? (DC10 for a +2) 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16. Bingo BANGO!

So if Voice says it's cool, you get a +6 bonus from Javi's assistance per attempt.


Primordial Ooze

I'll let Bandogrim get a +2 from the Diplomacy if he wants it; plus keep his original Strength checks from Rounds 15 and 16 in the spoiler modified by whatever skill checks you wish to attempt as aid.

After you have finished the course, you look back to Fangul and notice that he has been joined by a female Half-Elf who is also garbed in monastic robes. They are conversing between each other while watching the last of you finish the course and then Fangul beckons you over towards him.

Javi:
Can you give me a spar against Fangul like the other guys did before the obstacle course? - its essentially 3-4 rounds worth of attacks with descriptive text so I can seed you into a specific tutor class


HP 54/54 :: AC 24 T 19 FF 17 :: CMD 24 :: F +8 R +12 W +4 :: Initiative +6 Perception +12 (+2 traps) :: Google Doc

Sure.

Javi steps warily towards the tall, heavily-muscled Ulfen. He quickly drops down into a fighting stance. While the basics are there, they are crude. He switches between a huddled stance and dodging steps, but he never stands still. His first few attacks are quick, furtive things - meant to test the Ulfen's own defenses while maintaining his own.

Since he's so reliant on Sneak Attack, I'm gonna roll initiative. If you think it's not warranted, ignore the Sneak attack damage on the first attack.
Initiative 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13.

Attack (rd. 1) Unarmed (using Combat Expertise) 1d20 + 9 - 1 ⇒ (9) + 9 - 1 = 17.
---> Damage 1d3 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2.
---> Sneak Attack damage 2d6 ⇒ (6, 1) = 7.
AC up to 20.

Attack (rd. 2) Unarmed (using Combat Expertise) 1d20 + 9 - 1 ⇒ (7) + 9 - 1 = 15.
---> Damage 1d3 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4.
AC up to 20.

As he attacks, his hands had begun to float slightly away from his torso, moving slightly erratically. All at once, he quits attacking in his probing fashion. His right hand floats towards the Ulfen's face in a darting feint, his knee driving quickly to the man's lower gut.

Round 3
Feint (move action) 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (8) + 15 = 23.
Unarmed Strike (still w/ combat expertise) 1d20 + 9 - 1 ⇒ (20) + 9 - 1 = 28.
---> Damage 1d3 + 1 + 2d6 ⇒ (3) + 1 + (5, 4) = 13.
AC still at 20.

As he resets his leg, the Wasp doesn't hesitate, side-stepping around the big man as his left hand rakes at the man's eyes... a vicious fake covering his right fist that's driving towards his floating rib.

Round 4
Feint (move action) 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (17) + 15 = 32.
Unarmed Strike (still w/ combat expertise) 1d20 + 9 - 1 ⇒ (18) + 9 - 1 = 26.
---> Damage 1d3 + 1 + 2d6 ⇒ (1) + 1 + (4, 5) = 11.
AC still at 20.

EDIT: Crit confirmation for Round 3:
Crit confirm 1d20 + 9 - 1 ⇒ (10) + 9 - 1 = 18. (hopefully still against a FF defense. :)
---> Total damage Damage 13 + 1d3 + 1 ⇒ 13 + (1) + 1 = 15.


HP 54/54 :: AC 24 T 19 FF 17 :: CMD 24 :: F +8 R +12 W +4 :: Initiative +6 Perception +12 (+2 traps) :: Google Doc

Oh, also, I would have had Javi use his ninja Vanishing Trick and unleash a Ki-boosted full attack, but I burned all his Ki trying to complete the obstacle course. :)


Primordial Ooze

FYI - waiting on you guys moving over to where Fangul is with the new lass.


HP 54/54 :: AC 24 T 19 FF 17 :: CMD 24 :: F +8 R +12 W +4 :: Initiative +6 Perception +12 (+2 traps) :: Google Doc

Would my sparring have happened back with everyone else's? Or is that playing out now in front of everyone and after the obstacle course?


Primordial Ooze

It would have been earlier Javi - so the current state of play is thus:
Everyone has now finished the obstacle course.
No-one has congratulated or gloated over any else.
Fangul and the newly arrived lady are off to one side waiting for you.


Male Half-Elf Monk 2/Fighter 2

"Should have figured The Brawling Bear would be the only one to beat me." Nisk smiles as he grabs Torgus's arm in a warriors grip. "And now comes the little one. What was that about being fast tiny?" He smiles at Javi, then notices the Fangul and the new girl. Oohh... this one's cute. He thinks, stepping up to them. "How's that?" He asks with a daring look. "As good as a 'little babbie?' He asks, imitating Fangul's accent.


Male Human (Kellid) Brawler(fighter):3/Urban Barbarian:2

He responds with a roar, "OF COURSE I AM THE CHAMPION OF BALLENWOOD AFTER ALL!!!!" After shaking Nisk's hand he looks over to the other two, "Come on, I see Fangul brought us a treat HEHE!" He pats the two of them on the back and moves over to them while scratching his rash from the plants. Then tries to hold off itching, and struts over to them, "Thats right its me the BRAWLING BEAR!!!"


Primordial Ooze

A hint of a grin to Fangul's face he greets the group as they cross "You enjoy, yes? Don't worry, tomorrow harder." and he gives a quick nod to the female as he departs.

The female Half-Elf looks you up and down disdainfully before simply uttering "Come" before turning and starting to walk. Although slight, she moves sinuously and feet barely kiss the ground as she moves. She leads you back to your place of residence, where a nourishing (though bland) repast has been laid out picnic style out front.


M Elf Flowing Monk 5

Sense Motive:1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18; K(Religion):1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22
Dummy Attack:1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13

Obstacle 5
Again, Cassadar not so much hesitated, as paused in his movement, looking at the area around the dummy for anything other than what it seemed to be, before moving towards it warily, without haste. The motion was familiar to him, so as he moved, it moved, but he was not where it was going to be.

Obstacle 6
Swim:1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10
Another pool, no rocks to step on, no way to avoid it, so swim he did. Not difficult at all, though plunging into water while still breathing heavily was something that he should have been more careful about.

Obstacle 7
Acrobatics:1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23
The balance beam was easily traversed, brushing the leaves aside with care, and making his way to the other side at a modest pace. Once through, he started to wonder about what the plants were, as the itching and discomfort that started was not something he was expecting.
Fort:1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11

Obstacle 8
Acrobatics:1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12, Retry:1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19
The fact that the discomfort did not abate and worsened, did not make him happy about the next obstacle, having to deal with sensations that set his teeth on edge and restricted vision.. He wanted to stop and scrub himself to stop the sensation, but the pools were still through the leaves. Miserable, he continued to the bars and along them as he knew how, trying to not be distracted by the effects of the oil.. It hampered him more than he knew, as he could not maintain a steady path, failing to cross the bars on his first attempt the swelling of his eyes causing him to miss a few grips, and having to try again.

The second attempt goes much better despite the more-than-discomfort of his skin and eyes, figuring a pattern to them more than using his eyes to spot them.

Obstacle 9
Attaining the next obstacle was not something he was particularly looking forward to, more than content to let the others ahead while he closed his eyes and tried to focus on the pain, isolating it and blocking it out.. Or attempting to, at least. When he tried to look at it again, it made a sort of sense, though sliding across it would be difficult, unless the bamboo was young, but then...

A smile crept onto his swollen face, his hair having slipped free of the tie, and he pulled it back, retying it before he looked at the bar, trying to figure out how to get the maximum amount of effect in crossing it.. Two steps back gave him enough momentum to make a decent jump, pulling his burning arms and legs in as he rotated around, hoping the rotation would give him enough momentum to manage.
[ooc][smaller]Acrobatics(20):1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21 Haha! Strength:1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24

The bamboo bent alarmingly, but it held, and he was very relieved as he reached the other platform, sinking to one knee at the other end, trying to will the discomfort away.

DM:
Apologies for not posting, this was shuffled to the bottom of my list, so I was reading the 0-posts of the OOC as the game thread. I just looked closer today.

151 to 200 of 1,692 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Unbinding the Fetters - Disciples of Master Gond All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.