Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game


Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Paizo.com Gift Certificates
On Sale and Clearance!

Tales from the City of Opal

Game Master Patrick Curtin

This is my homebrew world Arcaia. This particular setting is the free city of Opal, a lush equatorial city set on the edge of an immense jungle rife with undead , ancient civilizations, and dinosaurs.


3,601 to 3,645 of 3,645 << first < prev | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | next > last >>

Bribes always welcome

Some digging from 2012(!!)

DM wrote:


It is an awkward fit getting together. Sorry about that >.<

To San:

The man wipes his brow and takes a seat.

"My name is Armando Vellorio. I am a merchant dealing in foodstuffs around the various plantations of Turquoise Bay. I have but one ship, the carrack Jade Sunset. Recently, I had sent her to the south end of Turquoise Bay to the small town of Shoalsbreak to pick up several loads of tobacco and sugar I had contracted from the local planters. She never made it there. There have been no bad storms of late, and I have not gotten any offer of ransom on her. Her loss is ruinous to my business, and I need a party of stout souls to travel to Shoalsbreak to see if they can find out anything about her disappearance."

Armando waves at the waitress and orders two fingers of Pykish single malt neat. He also offers to pay for a round.


Elf Magus 5

Magnus looks,... depressed.

"Sadly, I am forced to admit a most limited set of skills when it comes to sailing vessels. It comprises exclusively of appreciating the sailing skills of others, or of doing what I'm told by an actual sailor." He manages to almost contrite.

"So,... perhaps actually re-taking the Razor is a tad ambitious? While I'd love to give the client more than he asked for and actually return the ship, we were only hired to see if we could discover what happened to it." The elf glances at the guarded docks.

"Oo it makes me ill to contemplate that the culprits might escape with the ship and the goods, and whatever ELSE they are up to, by the time that 'proper' authorities can arrive to properly reclaim the razor." He frowns poutily.


"Well then we should get to the laugh, or else try to flee town, one or the other. We may convince the captain to flee the port, especially with out knowledge of piracy and the Sahuagin army."


Elf Magus 5

Magnus points at the dock.

"Well, the Laugh is right there, and the exit from town considerably farther away, so the most expeditious retreat is down the dock!" The elf smiles.

"I guess it IS important that we get other the knowledge of what we have discovered." Magnus admits, looking vaguely disappointed.


"I'd have preferred the more glorious route, I am writing a ballad after all, but reefing the ship only to be murdered by Sahuagin marauders is a decidedly less epic twist to the tail, and one I'd prefer not to sing. Especially as Sahuagins aren't known for their music and are unlikely to share the song. I shouldn't mind dying if my music lives on. For this reason alone I think we should consider fleeing."


Male Half-Elf Ranger 1 / Wizard (transmuter) 4

"Agreed. Let's give this place the ... never mind. Let's just get to the ship and get the hells out of here."


Elf Magus 5

Magnus tilts his head in what seems to be agreement, as he is smirking as well.

"Alas, your epic ballad shall have to wait. Or at least contain a verse about how our heroes valiantly turned from fleeting glory of battle to carry their news of foul shape-shifters to protect the greater good!"

Sczarni

Female Human Oracle of the Heavens 5

Citlali smiles, readying to get moving.


Male Half-elf Ranger / 5

Egan whistles for Whisperwing to come to him, and prepares to follow the others.


Elf Magus 5
Sanvoros Draben wrote:
"Agreed. Let's give this place the ... never mind. Let's just get to the ship and get the hells out of here."

Magnus grins, then nods, puts on his 'serious face', and steps with authority down the docks. He walks like an elf with places to be.


Magnus Darkenstar wrote:

Magnus tilts his head in what seems to be agreement, as he is smirking as well.

"Alas, your epic ballad shall have to wait. Or at least contain a verse about how our heroes valiantly turned from fleeting glory of battle to carry their news of foul shape-shifters to protect the greater good!"

Some inspiration :P


Bribes always welcome

1d6 ⇒ 5

The party walks down the docks as if they had no care in the world. The docks are a bit livelier than the town, with crews ashore enjoying liberty in the dockside brothels and taverns. A tavern with Sengenise characters on its sign catches their eye. They see at least one crewman from the Laugh lounging outside sharing a pipe with some other patrons atop a few barrels.


Elf Magus 5

Magnus looks at the others,. and nods his head in the direction of the Laugh's sailor that he recognized.

"Lady Luck is with us?" He says cheerfully, if not entirely convinced.


Male Half-Elf Ranger 1 / Wizard (transmuter) 4

"I think the trick will be getting them to leave now, after little shore time. Do we have enough gold to 'persuade' them if necessary? Or do we go the honest route and tell them House Akkavin's pissed off, and since they could now be connected with us, it's in everyone's best interest to skedaddle?"


Elf Magus 5

Magnus jiggles his woefully low purse, and shrugs.

"Well, they say honesty is the best policy. if not always easy, it is at least usually entertaining!" He grins.

"Shall we find the captain first? Or the Mate perhaps? and let them know? Rather than blabbing the news aloud in a crowded tavern,...?"


Male Half-Elf Ranger 1 / Wizard (transmuter) 4

"Alright. But ... and I know this'll come as a shock ... I tend to rub people the wrong way at times. Maybe you or Kessel should do the talking. Or even Citlali; hard to say no to a pretty lady." San gives her a quick wink.


Elf Magus 5

"Noooo!" Magnus says in melodramatic fashion, placing a hand over his heart. He winks at San.

"Not to worry Master San, We've got this!" Magnus says cheerfully.

He seems very chipper for an elf in between a rock and a hard place, as it were.

He's either looking forward to the challenge, or a drink in the bar.


Bribes always welcome

The party sits and quietly discusses options outside the Sengenese bar. A thin man sidles up to them, his lips and mouth an odd shade of purple

DC local knowledge 15

Spoiler:
The man chews Lal root, a local narcotic known for its euphoric and mildly hallucinogenic qualities

"Youse need sumpin, bros?" He says, his Sengenese accent broadening the words with a nasal bray


Knowledge Local: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19

"We're looking to collect our crew, there's a storm brewing and I think we're like to be at sea to try to out run the squall."

Kessel pauses, then notes what the man is chewing:

"That's Lai root, you pick it or buy it? I've heard that it's good for sea sickness, and seeing as we could be in for a heck of a storm it might be useful to have some."


Bribes always welcome

The man smiles, revealing purple-stained teeth

"I gots a line on it, bro, should you want some. It grows out in the Blackwraith Desert, I gots connections with the Black Caravan Guild. "

He cocks his head and looks at Kessel

"What ship youse looking for? Toss me a few silver and I'll see if I can find 'em"

Sczarni

Female Human Oracle of the Heavens 5

Flashing San a grin, with a hint of a blush, Citlali watches the exchange.


Elf Magus 5
Dungeon Monkey wrote:

The man smiles, revealing purple-stained teeth

"I gots a line on it, bro, should you want some. It grows out in the Blackwraith Desert, I gots connections with the Black Caravan Guild. "

He cocks his head and looks at Kessel

"What ship youse looking for? Toss me a few silver and I'll see if I can find 'em"

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 1 = 14

Magnus tilts his head as he peers at the man, trying to get a read on him. It is tricky, Magnus usually does not pay much attention to anyone who isn't paying HIM attention first.

But the elvish dandy is JUST paranoid enough to be cautious of anyone in this town offering to help. Although he DID ask for money, so he's likely just looking for an easy mark. Someone to beg coin from, and then claim he couldn't fins who they were looking for,... Probably,...


Bribes always welcome
Magnus Darkenstar wrote:
Dungeon Monkey wrote:

The man smiles, revealing purple-stained teeth

"I gots a line on it, bro, should you want some. It grows out in the Blackwraith Desert, I gots connections with the Black Caravan Guild. "

He cocks his head and looks at Kessel

"What ship youse looking for? Toss me a few silver and I'll see if I can find 'em"

Sense Motive: d20+1

Magnus tilts his head as he peers at the man, trying to get a read on him. It is tricky, Magnus usually does not pay much attention to anyone who isn't paying HIM attention first.

But the elvish dandy is JUST paranoid enough to be cautious of anyone in this town offering to help. Although he DID ask for money, so he's likely just looking for an easy mark. Someone to beg coin from, and then claim he couldn't fins who they were looking for,... Probably,...

He seems a fairly sleazy individual. The best bet would likely be to offer a reward rather than any up-front coin


In the interests of keeping this moving Magnus, having judged the man's character, tells the "sleazy individual" we're looking for the crew of the Laugh, and we'll pay him a couple gold on his return, plus buy some root.


Elf Magus 5

Thank you, yes. Sorry, got busy with RL. Again. :)

Magnus takes his cue from Kessel's nod, and tells the would-be helpful fellow that they seek the crew of the Laugh. Showing him the 2 promised gold coins he shall earn upon his return. And asks who his favorite root vendor is with a wink.

When the man departs, Magnus nods his thanks to Kessel, and looks longingly at the pub door.

"I don't suppose we could, erm, should wait inside? To stay out of sight of the mob our friend has gathered?" He asks hopefully.


Bribes always welcome

The man nods

"I'll be right out. I can get youse a lid* of good Purple* for 5 gold"

*

Spoiler:
lid=pound/Purple=street slang for Lal


"You're in luck, we don't have time to haggle, get our crew and our drugs and we'll give you seven gold. Keep in mind we're in a hurry."


Bribes always welcome

The man nods and darts back into the bar. He returns ten minutes later with a small canvas bag and First Mate Shao of the Laugh. Shao has been drinking, but he looks to be holding up relatively well. The man collects his 7 GP, hands the bag to Kessel and departs. Shao stares at the party.

"Huh. I thought youse guys were gone off to adventure. What do you need?"


"We have accidentally uncovered a Akkavin plot involving kidnapping, piracy, murder, lycanthropes, and the use of Sahuagin monsters. This port isn't safe. Seeing as they know what ship we arrived on your crew may also now be at risk, for that we can only apologize, I would recommend fleeing port with all haste, but should you decided to ignore our warnings and stay we will need to flee into the ruins because they cannot chance allowing us to live."

diplomacy: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (5) + 12 = 17


Male Half-Elf Ranger 1 / Wizard (transmuter) 4

"Oh, and I think they're already looking for us, so yeah ... haste." San says, almost with a smirk on his face.


Bribes always welcome

Shao blanches, his hefty round face showing fear

"The Sharks? Youse guys are messin' wit' da Sharks? Sweet Kwan Yin's peach pit!"

He frowns

"I oughta drop youse off at their warehouse, but cào nǐ zǔ zōng shí bā dài those jerks!"


Elf Magus 5

"Yes. Exactly." Magnus says pleasantly. He doesn't speak the local lingo, but it's pretty clear from the universal tone what the man said.


Bribes always welcome

First Mate Shao looks exasperated, his jowled face frowning

"Cap'n Quo is gonna be pissed. Well, better get back to the Laugh. Wait here a sec."

He disappears back into the bar, then returns with several inebriated crewmen in tow

"C'mon, lets scram"

The group heads to a beached longboat on the beach. The crew pushes it off the black sand beach and begins rowing to the distant moored Laugh. They arrive and scramble up the rigging.

On deck side First Mate Shao disappears, returning in a few minutes with a sleepy Capt Quo. The captain looks over the blood-spattered group

"What have you got my ship involved in, bèn dàn?"


"Something I'd wish we weren't involved in, but it can't be helped, and I knew you had to be warned. We could have skipped town, left you to your fates, but that would have weighed heavily. It's possible that they would have assumed you had nothing to do with this incident, but seeing as we know they've pirated and claimed one boat, with an implication that they may have a fleet of pirated vessels, we decided that we couldn't risk it.

"It's your ship and your call captain, I'd advise fleeing port with all haste, but you might stay and we'd have to flee for the safety of the ruins, traveling inland. It would be a gamble for both of us, but I'd think that even house Akkavin wouldn't be so bold as to seize your ship whilst in port. However beware of delays leaving port as it may be a set up for piracy at sea. That is should you stay."


Male Half-Elf Ranger 1 / Wizard (transmuter) 4

"Yeah, your call ... keep us or kick us. I think we're better off together and out of here, but like my friend said, it's your ship. Just make your decision quick, 'cause they're comin'."


Female Halfling Swashbuckler 5

"Yeah so no preasure or anything."


Bribes always welcome
Kessel Cobey wrote:

"Something I'd wish we weren't involved in, but it can't be helped, and I knew you had to be warned. We could have skipped town, left you to your fates, but that would have weighed heavily. It's possible that they would have assumed you had nothing to do with this incident, but seeing as we know they've pirated and claimed one boat, with an implication that they may have a fleet of pirated vessels, we decided that we couldn't risk it.

"It's your ship and your call captain, I'd advise fleeing port with all haste, but you might stay and we'd have to flee for the safety of the ruins, traveling inland. It would be a gamble for both of us, but I'd think that even house Akkavin wouldn't be so bold as to seize your ship whilst in port. However beware of delays leaving port as it may be a set up for piracy at sea. That is should you stay."

The captain looks aggrieved

"I've been in port for all of a day. I have goods and cargo yet to load and unload. Sailing will cause me no end of financial misfortune."

He pauses and spits over the rail

"Méi bànfǎ. Better a ruined voyage than a lost ship. "

He turns to Shao

"Send crew ashore, police up the rest of the shore leave parties. No word, tell them there is a problem and leave it at that. I want to be sailing on the ebb tide."

He turns to the party, a forbidding frown on his face.

"You lot can bunk in the bilge. I don't want to see your faces before we get to Opal."


Elf Magus 5

Magnus bows to the captain like a courtier.

"Of course sir." He agrees amiably.

The flamboyant elf has no intention of 'bunking in the bilge' (even he knows what THAT is), but recognizes the wisdom of not ticking off their ride before removing themselves from a sticky situation.

The magus assures himself that there will be plenty of time to win the man back over with his charms after a while back at sea.


Bribes always welcome

After a few hours of hurried and furtive preparation, the Laugh sails off on the ebb tide. Three-penny Port's harbor falls behind as they enter the Sargasso Sea once again.

random: 1d6 ⇒ 2
nonrandom: 1d6 ⇒ 3

Dawn breaks with an open ocean and a good wind. The party has been given hammocks to string up in the deepest holds of the ship. The area is damp and miasmic, with a standing foot of stagnant water that never seems to drain despite the bilge pump being manned constantly.

Capt. Quo steers his vessel from the aft deck, his short burly form assisted by a riser set beneath the ship's wheel. Any of the party that remain above deck are looked at in a hostile fashion. Obviously the crew is not pleased about their trip being cut short

Any actions??


Male Half-elf Ranger / 5

Egan will once again trail one of his longboats behind the ship. Whisperwing senses the tension on board, and spends much of his time sitting on the trailing craft, keeping watch.

Egan just tries to stay out of the way, until they reach the safety of land once again.


Elf Magus 5

Magnus probably makes one or two furtive forays onto deck, (when the captain's not there) but does not wish to incur the wrath of their hosts/ride, so he retreats with a bow once it becomes obvious his presence is not welcome.

But he does try, just to get a breath of fresh air once in a while.


Male Half-Elf Ranger 1 / Wizard (transmuter) 4

Easing back into a hammock, and seemingly ignoring the stench in the bilge, San spends most of his time with one of his remaining bottles of cheap rum. "Gotta remember to stock up FIRST at the next landing, before we get ourselves into any more messes," he remarks to himself.


Bribes always welcome

random: 1d6 ⇒ 3

nonrandom: 1d6 ⇒ 2

The rest of the journey is uneventful. The Laugh arrives in Opal harbor midday, gliding up to a mooring amongst a dozen other traders. Captain Quo arranges a longboat for the party to disembark on. He looks on at them with a scowl

"Youse guys have really made some bad enemies if you are tangling with the Sharks. Watch your back, is all I'm sayin'. Oh, and I don't know you."

The longboat deposits them on a pier in the Driftwood District. A crowd of longshoremen and sailors bustle across the planks, hauling cargo hither and yon

Actions?

Sczarni

Female Human Oracle of the Heavens 5

Alternating her time between taking care of her weapons, staring out at the ocean and enjoying San's company, Citlali stretches as they ready to get onto the longboat, taking in their surroundings.


Elf Magus 5
Dungeon Monkey wrote:

[dice=random]1d6

[dice=nonrandom]1d6

The rest of the journey is uneventful. The Laugh arrives in Opal harbor midday, gliding up to a mooring amongst a dozen other traders. Captain Quo arranges a longboat for the party to disembark on. He looks on at them with a scowl

"Youse guys have really made some bad enemies if you are tangling with the Sharks. Watch your back, is all I'm sayin'. Oh, and I don't know you."

The longboat deposits them on a pier in the Driftwood District. A crowd of longshoremen and sailors bustle across the planks, hauling cargo hither and yon

Actions?

From the dock, Magnus doffs his wide-brimmed feathered, (slightly droopy after the time in the bilge) hat with a low bow to the captain.

"For a man I've never met, all I can say is you run a fine ship captain! Thank you for the safe journey. And for not feeding us to the 'Sharks'." He grins.
"Hopefully in return, we can help make the seas a little safer for you and your fellows!"

The elf turns to the others. "I suppose if we're to do that, we should report to our erstwhile employer the circumstances of his ship. Although I could certainly use a good bath first!"

3,601 to 3,645 of 3,645 << first < prev | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Tales from the City of Opal All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2016 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.