Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Call of the Wardens (Inactive)

Game Master Roshan

Reemergence of the Fabled Wardens


751 to 800 of 1,081 << first < prev | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | next > last >>

Elven Archivist 5

Dolelan won't let it be cast on him except in the most dire of emergencies, but I don't think anyone else had expressed concern about it.


Elven Archivist 5
Quote:
Hidden in the Folly? If these are items of power you speak of, then why can we not take these things and use them to our own advantage? If not, then we should find this Drivus and what he has already called forth before it gets worse.

Items of power? Who mentioned those? Nope, nothing to see here... :P

"The item I speak of is powerful indeed, but I wouldn't trust myself to touch it. It is the legacy of a powerful necromancer from forgotten lands and has brought nothing but sorrow to any who have tried to take it up. Legends say that it is a human heart, still beating from when it was ripped from the breast of a condemned murderer. It bleeds a black ichor that corrupts all it touches, even wresting the dead from their graves.
As you say, we were on our way to the place where I suspect Drivus is lurking. We came this way to see if there were any survivors in the hamlet but we were too late. We were attacked by more of the shadows and a horde of the undead.

Dolelan gives a curious glance toward the proffered items and examines them in detail, first noting the mundane details of their construction and looking for a maker's mark, minting information, or any other hints to their history or origin. Next he recites a simple spell and studies their auras...

Potentially useful skills:
Spellcraft = 26 (taking a 10, +16) (identify magic item)
Knowledge (arcana) = 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (13) + 16 = 29 (identify items created with magic)
Knowledge (local) = 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (10) + 12 = 22 (origin of coins and dagger)
Knolwedge (history) = 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (16) + 16 = 32 (origin of coins and dagger)


Female Human Two-Weapon Fighter- 2/Rogue- 3

To the group and looking in Dolelan's direction, "Dolelan, the mayor was dead before we left. Remember when we entered his house and the shadow beast ripped out his throat. Shortly, before Nera and I decided to play a little." With a quick pause, then grin Charon looks to Ariella, "They are fun creatures to fight."

With Alenthyn's impressive but quiet muttering, Charon looks over to Rikka. She states coldly pointing at Alenthyn, "He seems to carry his words better than you. Perhaps you should take some lessons from him." Looking back at Alenthyn, "Well met sir."

Looking back to Dolelan, "I'm going to gather our items downstairs. I should only be a few moments. Then perhaps we can talk while we move, with this large of a party we will be slower."


Human Sorc 1 | HP 6/6 | 12/12/10 | F+0 R+4 W+3 | Per +7 Init +2 | Spells: 1st 4/4
Charon Warblade wrote:
Looking back to Dolelan, "I'm going to gather our items downstairs. I should only be a few moments."

Rikka's voice is placid. "You've said that more than once - perhaps you should get about doing it."


HP 44/44; AC 20 (T 17, FF 14) +2 vs confirm criticals; CMD 22; Fort +9, Reflex +9, Will +3 ; Perception +0; Init +6; Face/Berserker; Reputation 15

Ariella titters airily. "Ladies, please. No need to be so friendly this early in your relationship." She is clearly being sarcastic, but has a slightly concerned look as well. Last thing we need is our two swordwomen at each others throats.


Human Sorc 1 | HP 6/6 | 12/12/10 | F+0 R+4 W+3 | Per +7 Init +2 | Spells: 1st 4/4

Rikka smiles. "What can I say? I return the friendliness shown to me."


Male Human Oracle of the Heavens 20/Horizon Walker 10

For those who are interested it is currently noon game time.

Dolelan Callennan wrote:

Potentially useful skills:

Spellcraft = 26 (taking a 10, +16) (identify magic item)
Knowledge (arcana) = 1d20+16 (identify items created with magic)
Knowledge (local) = 1d20+12 (origin of coins and dagger)
Knolwedge (history) = 1d20+16 (origin of coins and dagger)

None of the items are magical as Alenthyn determined beforehand, the individually wrapped coins are 7 Platinum Pieces and 15 Gold Pieces. The dragon styled dagger holds no great importance though it is of very fine make.


Female Human Two-Weapon Fighter- 2/Rogue- 3

Charon smirks at Rikka's comment, shrugs at Ariella. Then goes down to collect the items.

While down there she'll gather up weapons in her backpack. She'll inspect the statues to find the copy of nights end. She'll also grab the copy of Night's End in the statue and put it in her pack.

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18


Alenthyn scowls when Maeltheron offers the new human male the chance to duplicate his work from earlier (the inspection of the dagger and coins).

Charon wrote:
She states coldly pointing at Alenthyn, "He seems to carry his words better than you. Perhaps you should take some lessons from him." Looking back at Alenthyn, "Well met sir."

Is she mocking me? he thinks with a deepening of his scowl, though he returns her nod. When she's out of sight, he turns to regard the human once more. "You mentioned a risen local adventurer. What do we know of him? And what do we know of this 'magician'… Drivus?"


Slayer/5; AC: 20; HP: 39/39; F: +4, R: +9, W:+1; Init: +6; Perc: +10

Maeltheron gathers the coins and dagger, and places them in his belt pouch and pack, respectively. He notices Alenthyn's scowl, and simply shrugs with a smile and wink at his fellow elf.


Male Human Oracle of the Heavens 20/Horizon Walker 10

So...what's everyone doing?


Slayer/5; AC: 20; HP: 39/39; F: +4, R: +9, W:+1; Init: +6; Perc: +10

Waiting for Charon's return to discuss a plan of action to get back on the trail of the Shadowfolk?


I was hoping to get any more information available from Dolelan about the magician or the local adventurer he's raised. If he does't have any, I'm just looking for ways to get on with it. :)

At some point I do actually plan to shoot/attack something.


Elven Archivist 5
Quote:
When she's out of sight, he turns to regard the human once more. "You mentioned a risen local adventurer. What do we know of him? And what do we know of this 'magician'… Drivus?"

Point of order, Dolelan is an elf ;)

Dolelan gives a bit of a sigh and shakes his head regretfully. "Sir Walter Thomas. He was knighted for heroism and well loved by most people in these parts. He disappeared about twenty years ago after setting out to take care of a warren of trolls that were harassing a nearby hamlet. That was the last anyone ever heard of him, until the attack on Bosh. One of the shadow monsters was leading the others- it was bigger than the others and could speak- though it spoke only the blasphemous tongue of the demons. It introduced himself as Sir Walter, and I'm inclined to believe it."

"As to Drivus... he made a very bad reputation for himself at a small magic academy near Hobb. Rumor had it that as they dragged him out he was swearing up and down the halls that he'd bring the place to its knees. At least I hope he's the one we're dealing with. I recall that he was named after his his great grandfather who was a very, very powerful wizard- nobody to be trifled with. While I don't remember reading anything specific about his funeral, his biographers say he was a man like any other and these days are long past his mortal span. If Drivus the senior has somehow returned then we are in a lot of trouble... but frankly I find that very unlikely."


HP 44/44; AC 20 (T 17, FF 14) +2 vs confirm criticals; CMD 22; Fort +9, Reflex +9, Will +3 ; Perception +0; Init +6; Face/Berserker; Reputation 15

"Where were you headed next? Do you have any leads on their possible locations?" Ariella asks Dolelan.


Human Sorc 1 | HP 6/6 | 12/12/10 | F+0 R+4 W+3 | Per +7 Init +2 | Spells: 1st 4/4

Yeah, I was waiting for the conversation to run its course.


Point of order, Dolelan is an elf ;)

Oh, my bad, man. Not sure why I thought he was human. This is interesting.. 3 male elves and 2 human females.

The tall, gangly elf listens intently to Dolelan's retelling of the summations, mentally filing away any piece of information that seems pertinent. By the end, he seems satisfied and ready to move on.


Female Human Two-Weapon Fighter- 2/Rogue- 3

Charon returns with weapons in tow, up from the cellar. Hearing Ariella's question she responds, "Jackal’s Folly. That is were Sir Walter Thomas said he would be, we know it's a trap. But that's the only way I'm gonna to be able to put a dagger between his ribs. We owe him a bit of a debt, which will be paid."

Charon moves over to Dolelan. Nods, then quickly whispers over his shoulder.
Bluff(secrete message):1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21
Message:(I have the items on my person, what would you like to do?)


Slayer/5; AC: 20; HP: 39/39; F: +4, R: +9, W:+1; Init: +6; Perc: +10

Maeltheron nods.

Let's get moving then.

Maeltheron will take up his normal position, flanking the party and moving silently through the trees with the hood of his cloak pulled low.

Stealth: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (14) + 18 = 32
Perception: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (1) + 11 = 12


Sense Motive vs the secret message (DC 21) 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18. Nope.

Alenthyn nods, "Jackal's Folly." He watches Maeltheron move to take his flank and turns back to Dolelan and Chaon, "You two have horses?" (Or is Jackal's Folly in this little hamlet?)


Human Sorc 1 | HP 6/6 | 12/12/10 | F+0 R+4 W+3 | Per +7 Init +2 | Spells: 1st 4/4

Rikka mounts up, ready to press on.

Sense Motive (v Message DC21) 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (20) + 10 = 30


Male Human Oracle of the Heavens 20/Horizon Walker 10
Alenthyn wrote:
(Or is Jackal's Folly in this little hamlet?)

I think you've misunderstood. Jackal's Folly is the forest, the forest you're currently in.


So we know that Sir Walter Tomas is... somewhere in the forest?


Elven Archivist 5
Quote:
"You two have horses?"

There's the four of us, counting the NPC'd Legaid and Nera. We <i>had</i> horses but an unfortunate encounter with some rather hungry and rather large bats took care of that. Dolelan's horse and Nera's horse (Mr. Clompyhooves) are several miles away on the outskirts of the forest.

Quote:
"Where were you headed next? Do you have any leads on their possible locations?" Ariella asks Dolelan.

"A long time ago a mile-wide rift opened along the old road to Minne Serras (the largest settlement in the Folly), the schism extends approximately four miles and is twisted over in such a way that no light reaches the bottom. The locals call it the Shivver. We've seen how much the shadows fear the sunlight; I'm certain that it is where they've chosen to make their lair."

He pauses and thinks for a moment before continuing on, "There's another thing too. To the South of here, about 10 miles down the road, there is a clearing in the forest that has had an ominous reputation since time immemorable. They call it Whisper Wight Glade- or was it Wight Whisper Glen? Regardless, I'd planned to investigate it the next time I passed this way, and I believe the need is even more pressing with so much necromatic energy being tossed around", he gestures to the pile of corpses strewn about the hamlet, "we already came across one region where the natural energies of the forest were being siphoned off to power the artifact, I shudder to think what might happen if we allowed our enemies to tap the geomantic energies of that particular patch of land..."

Quote:
Sense Motive (v Message DC21) 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (20) + 10 = 30

Whispered conversations generally require a DC 25 perception check (modified by distance) to overhear, on top of the sense motive check to understand the message that is passed.


Human Sorc 1 | HP 6/6 | 12/12/10 | F+0 R+4 W+3 | Per +7 Init +2 | Spells: 1st 4/4

Ah, I missed the part where it was whispered. However, according to the d20PFSRD, hearing the details of a whispered conversation is DC15 and in practice I've seen it run from 15 to 25 - depending on circumstances. Since we are presumably standing together having a conversation, I can't imagine the range DC mod is all that much. I'll leave it to Roshan to determine whether it is heard or not.

Perception (to hear whisper) 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (13) + 10 = 23


Slayer/5; AC: 20; HP: 39/39; F: +4, R: +9, W:+1; Init: +6; Perc: +10

@Dolelan: Does your PC just like to make up such historical data, or are you actually a reliable font of such information because you are an Archivist? I am wondering if you were given this information earlier by Roshan, before we got involved, because I never see you making knowledge checks or Roshan communicating the info to you?


I wondered the same thing. I feel a bit lost here.


Elven Archivist 5

@Maeltheron: It's more or less reliable. I used my archivist ability to take 20s on a few knowledge checks and made a few lucky rolls, and Roshan PM'd me information about the questions I had. Dolelan does tend to overestimate his own intelligence and often presents his own logical deductions and inferences as fact but everything is based off of what Roshan told me.

I've made quite a few knowledge checks during the course of the game, and some have been posted as spoilered info while the rest were PM'd. Roshan doesn't usually volunteer a lot of information, but if you post that you are investigating something or making a knowledge check there's often a lot more to discover.


Slayer/5; AC: 20; HP: 39/39; F: +4, R: +9, W:+1; Init: +6; Perc: +10

Ahhhh...very good then.


HP 44/44; AC 20 (T 17, FF 14) +2 vs confirm criticals; CMD 22; Fort +9, Reflex +9, Will +3 ; Perception +0; Init +6; Face/Berserker; Reputation 15

Perception Against Whisper 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16
Sense Motive 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (2) + 12 = 14

"So do we head for the Shivver or the Glen first?" Ariella asks Doelan. "I serve the Dawnflower, so providiing sunlight won't be a problem." She says smiling.


Female Human Two-Weapon Fighter- 2/Rogue- 3

To Ariella's question, "Whisper Wight Glade or glen, would be my choice. We expect them at Shivver. Our foe is smart. He'll expect us to go to Shivver first. Also, worst case we lost 10-20 minutes and we don't have to back track."


HP 44/44; AC 20 (T 17, FF 14) +2 vs confirm criticals; CMD 22; Fort +9, Reflex +9, Will +3 ; Perception +0; Init +6; Face/Berserker; Reputation 15

"You have a way to travel 10 miles in 10 minutes? Then yes, I see no reason why we shouldn't have a look there." I didn't take her for a mage. Hmm.

:P


Slayer/5; AC: 20; HP: 39/39; F: +4, R: +9, W:+1; Init: +6; Perc: +10

Maeltheron waits patiently alone in the trees for the party to start moving.

What is the hold up? Too much talking and not enough moving.


Female Human Two-Weapon Fighter- 2/Rogue- 3

Meant miles but came out minutes!
Charon moves to the edge of the forest area. "Let's get moving" she states as she moves into a shadow.

Stealth: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (1) + 13 = 14


HP 44/44; AC 20 (T 17, FF 14) +2 vs confirm criticals; CMD 22; Fort +9, Reflex +9, Will +3 ; Perception +0; Init +6; Face/Berserker; Reputation 15

"So be it. Lead the way." Ariella will turn her horse and follow Charon.


Female Human Two-Weapon Fighter- 2/Rogue- 3

Charon steps out of the shadows and says in a very firm manner, "I know nothing of these parts, seeing that I am not from this area. Dolelan would be a better point or guide. I'll follow behind or from flank in the shadows. Also, I'm not fond of being a target. My skills are more sharp in a more urban setting then a forest. If you have someone in your group that knows their way around, feel free to have them take point. I care not.
Charon bows and moves to the shadow she came from.

Stealth: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (20) + 13 = 33


Male Human Oracle of the Heavens 20/Horizon Walker 10

Onward.


Elven Archivist 5

--earlier--

Charon wrote:

Charon moves over to Dolelan. Nods, then quickly whispers over his shoulder.

Bluff(secrete message):1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21
Message:(I have the items on my person, what would you like to do?)

Taking a 10 on bluff (secret message, DC15) = 17
(Just keep them safe)

--presently--

Quote:
"So be it. Lead the way."

Oh, it's impossible to miss. We just follow this road..."

Onward!


Male Human Oracle of the Heavens 20/Horizon Walker 10
Dolelan Callennan wrote:

--earlier--

Charon wrote:

Charon moves over to Dolelan. Nods, then quickly whispers over his shoulder.

Bluff(secrete message):1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21
Message:(I have the items on my person, what would you like to do?)

Taking a 10 on bluff (secret message, DC15) = 17
(Just keep them safe)

--presently--

Quote:
"So be it. Lead the way."

Oh, it's impossible to miss. We just follow this road..."

Onward!

While following the road is much easier than leading the horses through the roots and brush of the untamed forest it is still hard going. The further you get away from the little town the worse the conditions of the road become. The mud seems to almost suck you in with each step, it covers to your boots with a muddy combination of twigs and leaves. It is very humid at the moment but thankfully there is a easterly breeze that blows gently from behind you.

Those scouting up ahead make note several times of wildlife that comes relatively close, mostly prey but some predators. Their reactions are generally all the same, as the growing sound of the approaching party nears the animals, prey or predators scatter into the forest.

As the sun starts to sink further into the southern horizon the sound of flowing water becomes ever louder. Before the sun sets you come to the bank of a fast flowing river. The river at this point is nearly two hundred yards wide with an island sitting in it's center. The small spit of land seems to have an abundance of docks and warehouses. The road leads right up to a quay, a simple slanted roof covers the landing with a good sized bell afixed between the wooden beams. A pull drops down to about shoulder height that looks like it rings the bell.


HP 44/44; AC 20 (T 17, FF 14) +2 vs confirm criticals; CMD 22; Fort +9, Reflex +9, Will +3 ; Perception +0; Init +6; Face/Berserker; Reputation 15

Ariella asks "Shall we?" and cautiously approaches the pull cord for the bell. Hopefully these aren't some dreadful sort of shadow bandits that intend to kill us mid river. Her expression is dubious at best, she appears open to counter suggestions.


Slayer/5; AC: 20; HP: 39/39; F: +4, R: +9, W:+1; Init: +6; Perc: +10

Maeltheron sees Ariella heading for the bell, and he appears by the others as he pulls his hood down.

Seems like our only option to cross and stay on the trail.


Alenthyn gives the surrounding woods, the far bank, and especially the little sliver-of-an-island a long look

Perception 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (17) + 11 = 28.


Male Human Oracle of the Heavens 20/Horizon Walker 10

My mistake, it seems that you had intended to make your way to wight whisper glade instead of crossing towards the settlement. That was a left back thataway. Please ignore the end of that last post.

The conditions of the road are very much the same until you start approaching the glade. It's about 4 in the afternoon when you get close. The trees lining the road seem to sink into the ground here as if the earth is not strong enough to bear their weight. The further you travel along the road the worse the conditions get. Rotting trees laying flat along the road and various greenery seems to grow in tendrils, branching out from the forest on each side as if it's trying to reclaim it's land.

Finally you come to a sign placed in the center of the road that reads Danger, enter at your own peril. The sign itself is well worn, the paint has faded considerably and the wood is very soggy but it's still standing.


Alenthyn -- acting as forward scout -- stops roughly thirty feet out in front of the sign, giving the surrounding forest a careful sweep with his senses. Mind if I use the previous awesome perception roll? :) IF so.. it was a 28.

He gives a shrug, "Not like we thought this would be an easy trip." He looks back at Dolelan, "Any bits of information you've picked up that would be helpful? Information is power, as they say."

If nothing is forthcoming, Alenthyn moves past the sign, continuing on their path, feet crunching softly and eyes and ears alert.

Beginning to move quietly from here on out.
Perception 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (19) + 11 = 30
Stealth 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (4) + 12 = 16.


HP 44/44; AC 20 (T 17, FF 14) +2 vs confirm criticals; CMD 22; Fort +9, Reflex +9, Will +3 ; Perception +0; Init +6; Face/Berserker; Reputation 15

Ariella will murmur a prayer to Sarenrae, her eyes flashing momentarily with the light of the sun. Cast detect magic "This must be the place. Let's get this over with, yes?"


Elven Archivist 5
Quote:
He looks back at Dolelan, "Any bits of information you've picked up that would be helpful? Information is power, as they say."

"When we found the place of power where Drivus and his allies had been siphoning off the life-energy of the forest, the vessel they chose was a flower. There was an unnatural fog and an irridiscent white rose that had stored a rather alarming amount of magic... I'd advise you not to touch any unusual flowers."

"Oh, and don't forget to look up." He adds somewhat sheepishly.


Alenthyn nods at the advice, adding a general awareness of unnatural wildlife to his active searches. Knowledge: Nature/Dungeoneering 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (6) + 12 = 18.

Good to proceed when everyone else is.


Male Human Oracle of the Heavens 20/Horizon Walker 10
Alenthyn wrote:

Beginning to move quietly from here on out.

Perception 1d20 + 11
Stealth 1d20 + 12.

The wind seems to blow out like a slow current, carrying with it soft and unintelligible whispers, almost too faint to hear but you see no movement.

Alenthyn wrote:
Knowledge: Nature/Dungeoneering 1d20 + 12.

All manner of unnatural wildlife could possibly inhabit a kind of swamp-like area such as this undead, fey, rodents of unusual size. You'd have to make a Knowledge Local or a Knowledge Geography check for the types in this specific swamp.

Ariella Moiraine wrote:
Ariella will murmur a prayer to Sarenrae, her eyes flashing momentarily with the light of the sun. Cast detect magic "This must be the place. Let's get this over with, yes?"

Casting detect magic you see that the breeze blowing out towards you is laced with a faint aura of Necromancy.


Knowledge: Geography 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14.


Human Sorc 1 | HP 6/6 | 12/12/10 | F+0 R+4 W+3 | Per +7 Init +2 | Spells: 1st 4/4

Rodents of unusual size? I don't think they exist...

751 to 800 of 1,081 << first < prev | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Chapter 1: Just Beneath the Surface All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.