Hi, our Kyra has acquired "The Tall Knife" weapon and is uncertain about how some encounters would be resolved if the encountered monsters requires specific traits to defeat. We've tried reading the Encountering section in the Core Rulebook but couldn't figure out the answer to these cases.
The Tall Knife has 4 traits Object, Guillotine, Slashing, 2-Handed, and the power:
• Instead of your first exploration of your turn, discard to examine the top # cards of your location. Encounter 1 non-villain monster you find; it is defeated. If you do not find a non-villain monster, reload this card instead. Then shuffle all remaining examined cards into the location and end your turn.
We think that The Tall Knife alone won't be able to defeat some monsters and would need support like the two examples below.
1. Troll has this power:
• If neither check to defeat has either the Acid or Fire trait, this monster is undefeated; you may reload it into its location.
Then can Kyra play "Heat Metal" to add the Fire trait to this combat check to defeat Troll?
2. Shadow has the Undead trait and this power:
• If the check to defeat does not have the Magic trait, this monster is undefeated.
Then can Kyra use her power "On a local check against an Outsider or Undead bane, add 1d4 and the Magic trait." to defeat Shadow?
Hi, I am currently playing CoCT with my group and have been trying to find answers to these three questions about card powers:
1. About the location "River", it has this power:
• (AT THIS LOCATION) On your check, you may discard a card to reroll a die.
Does this mean the encountering player can use this power multiple times on a single check as long as that player still has enough hand cards?
2. About the "Covering Heavy Shield", it has two following powers:
• When you suffer Acid, Combat, or Fire damage, freely reveal to reduce it by 2.
• When a local character suffers Combat damage, freely reveal to reduce by 1.
So, if the shield holder is the one suffers damage, can that player freely reveal this same shield twice to reduce a total of 3 Combat damage points? Or the same shield can't be played again unless the player has two copies in the hand?
3. About displaying multiple armors, I understand that a player can display how many armors the player can but can only play one armor for damage reduction per time that player suffers damage.
So, if a monster deals damage multiple times (before, during, after acting) and the player has displayed two armors, can that player play them to reduce damage points twice (let's say before and after acting) if appropriate?