(PaizoCon 2022) Red. Fields - Wayfinder 22 Side Trek Adventure

Game Master CanisDirus

Red Fields

GM Notes:
Perception
[dice=Player]1d20 + 0[/dice
[dice=Player]1d20 + 0[/dice
[dice=Player]1d20 + 0[/dice
[dice=Player]1d20 + 0[/dice
[dice=Player]1d20 + 0[/dice
[dice=Player]1d20 + 0[/dice
[dice=Player]1d20 + 0[/dice
[dice=Player]1d20 + 0[/dice

Initiative
[dice=Player]1d20 + 0[/dice
[dice=Player]1d20 + 0[/dice
[dice=Player]1d20 + 0[/dice
[dice=Player]1d20 + 0[/dice
[dice=Player]1d20 + 0[/dice
[dice=Player]1d20 + 0[/dice
[dice=Player]1d20 + 0[/dice
[dice=Player]1d20 + 0[/dice

Red Fields Art and Maps


Wayfinders

| Dustbound Scenery & Maps D19 | Table 2 Scenery & Maps | | Table 3 Maps & Handouts | ◆ | ◆◆ | ◆◆◆ | ◇ | ↺ | Lucid Dreaming Handout

This is the gameplay thread for Red Fields as a part of PaizoCon 2022. If you are signed up on our Warhorn, feel free to "dot and delete" prior to game play!

Soundtrack #1 - Pre-Game: A New Operation

Wayfinders

| Dustbound Scenery & Maps D19 | Table 2 Scenery & Maps | | Table 3 Maps & Handouts | ◆ | ◆◆ | ◆◆◆ | ◇ | ↺ | Lucid Dreaming Handout

It is a warm spring morning in Absalom. Independently or together, you find an urgently-written note posted in several places around the northwest part of the city at the center of the world.

Soundtrack #2 - Letters & Absalom: Shinra Creed

----- ----- -----
The logging town of Dianne needs your help!

Centaurs are attacking our people and we don’t know why — we’ve lived near them for generations without any problems until a month ago! We’re a peaceful town and don’t even have constables! We’ve pulled together 280 gold to be split as a reward for those who come to our aid.

Lu’din Astor at the Hero’s Rest tavern in Westerhold will get you to us. Go to where the Deluge River forks north of Absalom then follow the wagon trail east. Find town arborist Enerika or apothecary Gidget when you arrive.

~ Mayor Rose Verlane
----- ----- -----

As you make your way to Westerhold just outside of the city, you see others heeding this same call.

You may now introduce yourselves to each other!

Envoy's Alliance

M Jungle Catfolk Ranger 5: spd:25, AC:22, HP:73/73, Fort:12, Ref:13, Will:8, Perc:8, Lowlight

Garfield walks in and does a stretch. Hello, how are you all today. Anyone got any lasagna?

The Exchange

Male dwarf cleric 5 | AC 19 | HP 55/55 | Speed 20 feet Fort +10; Ref +9; Will +13; +2 circumstance bonus vs. hazards while using Premonition of Avoidance | Perception +13; darkvision
Skills:
Accounting Lore +12, Arcana +10, Crafting +10, Diplomacy +9, Intimidation +9, Medicine +11, Mercantile Lore +10, Occultism +10, Paraheen Lore +12, Religion +13, Scribing Lore +10, Society +10, Stealth +9

"I have a mission for you Arfluoro."

The bookish dwarf looked up from his desk, one among a sea of many within this wing of the Vault of Abadar in Absalom's Ivy District. Pushing aside a stack of ledgers, he pushes the rim of his glasses further down his nose for a better look at the speaker, Banker Rellows.

"It is a field mission," Banker Rellows explained, placing a note atop the balance sheet spread across Arfluoro's desk. "I need you to travel to Dianne. We have had some issues of late with late payments."

***

I spot buildings ahead. This should be the way--I hope, thinks Arfluoro as he subconsciously rubs his backside as he tries to match geographical features with the map he has in hand. Though unsure of his present location,the dwarf was looking forward to getting off of the small camel he had been riding from Absalom, though he was grateful he did not have to settle for an axe beak. He became more so when he spotted the catfolk up ahead.

Garfield Great wrote:
Garfield walks in and does a stretch. Hello, how are you all today. Anyone got any lasagna?

"I am afraid, Hood Fur--I-I mean, Good Sir, that I don't have any," stutters the accountant, his well-tailored clothing looking out-of-place among those of most other travelers. The large silver key dangling from the gold chain around his neck makes bare his devotion to the Master of the First Vault. "I am, however, trying to make my way to the town of Dianne. Can you tell me if I am within reach of my destination before nightfall? Or, if not, where I may settle for the evening?"


A tall woman with golden hair trots up to the group. "Are you part of the group responding to Dianne? I was sent her by the Pathfinders, though I have another reason to coming here. You see... " she trails off, somewhat lost in thought, feeling the inspiration for another tale come to mind. She murmurs softly and suddenly a flute materializes in her hands. She begins to play.

"Hey, wait for me!" she calls, as she realizes the group has left her behind. She catches up, finally looking over her companions. "A catfolk!" she says in awe, "I've never seen one of you up close before. I mean... I'm sorry, I don't mean to pry..." Again her voice trails off, distracted by the other member of the group. "And what do you do, sir?" she asks the dwarf.

Vigilant Seal

"I am number four" | 820-2004 | Female Duskwalker Elf Ancestry Oracle 5 with Witch Dedication | HP 46/46| AC 22 | F +7 R +11 W +10 | Perc +10 | Focus 2/2 | Spells 1st 3/3 2nd 3/3 3rd 2/2| Hero Points 2/3 | Campaign Coin 1/1 | Exploration: Scout | Active Conditions: Darkvision; Resist Cold, Mental & Negative 1 ---

If it hadn't been for the strange music the band playing across the street, Tess would have never seen the poster asking for help in Dianne. In the five months that Tess has been alive, the duskwalker had never been to Dianne or met a centaur. "Why not?" She takes a leave from the Pathfinder Society to go investigate the centaur problem.

Tall, red-haired and with spider tattoos and pharasma spirals all over her fair skin, Tess draws a few stares from people once she gets outside Absalom, but nothing too awkward. Most people have no idea that she's a duskwalker -- she looks like any other elven adventurer. She waves when she sees the catfolk, the dwarf and the human. They're all well-armed. Either they're adventurers or they're with the town guard.

She waves. "Hello, I'm Tess. I came in answer to the advertisement. Did you do so as well? Do you know where to find Gidget the apothecary or Enerika the arborist?"

When the catfolk asks for lasagna, Tess pauses. "Um, I'm not sure what a lasagna is. I'm still learning all these mortal things. Can you enlighten me, and maybe I can help you look for one."

The Exchange

Male dwarf cleric 5 | AC 19 | HP 55/55 | Speed 20 feet Fort +10; Ref +9; Will +13; +2 circumstance bonus vs. hazards while using Premonition of Avoidance | Perception +13; darkvision
Skills:
Accounting Lore +12, Arcana +10, Crafting +10, Diplomacy +9, Intimidation +9, Medicine +11, Mercantile Lore +10, Occultism +10, Paraheen Lore +12, Religion +13, Scribing Lore +10, Society +10, Stealth +9
Shayna at 5th wrote:
Again her voice trails off, distracted by the other member of the group. "And what do you do, sir?" she asks the dwarf.

"I serve the Master of the First Vault," replies Arfluoro. "Though, I must confess, that I report to the senior-vice banker. It is my job to count the blessings." Subconsciously, he pats the sizable coin purse fastened securely onto his belt to make sure that none of the "blessings" had fallen loose.

He eyes the flute in the woman's hands, trying to assess its value. "I, too, am headed to Dianne.""You are an instrumentalist of some sort?" he inquires.

Tess of Tosof wrote:
Tall, red-haired and with spider tattoos and pharasma spirals all over her fair skin, Tess draws a few stares from people once she gets outside Absalom, but nothing too awkward.

He eyes the spiral symbols on the woman's skin. A Pharasmin, eh? Those zealots always are telling people, "You can't take it with you." To which, I always reply, "Of course not. That is why you send your deposit ahead in advance!"

Despite his thoughts, he simply smiles and nods politely to the woman while keeping his hand firmly on his coin purse.

Tess of Tosof wrote:
She waves. "Hello, I'm Tess. I came in answer to the advertisement. Did you do so as well? Do you know where to find Gidget the apothecary or Enerika the arborist?"

"I am afraid that I am unfamiliar with such persons," says Arfluoro. "But, can you tell me how much further it is to Dianne?"

Vigilant Seal

"I am number four" | 820-2004 | Female Duskwalker Elf Ancestry Oracle 5 with Witch Dedication | HP 46/46| AC 22 | F +7 R +11 W +10 | Perc +10 | Focus 2/2 | Spells 1st 3/3 2nd 3/3 3rd 2/2| Hero Points 2/3 | Campaign Coin 1/1 | Exploration: Scout | Active Conditions: Darkvision; Resist Cold, Mental & Negative 1 ---

"The town sign says, 'Westerhold'." Tess pulls out her notebook, in which she recorded the directions from the poster. "I believe we're supposed to go into the Hero's Rest Tavern and meet with --" She pauses, frowns, and poimts to Lu'din's name. "How are we supposed to pronounce that? Lou-Deen? Luh-Din?" She shrugs. "I guess we'll find out once we get there."

Tess glances at Arflouro's golden key.

Religion: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (2) + 10 = 12
Terrible roll, but major gods are usually a 10, right?

"Abadar. And you said you were a banker? What brings you on this mission?"

The Exchange

Male dwarf cleric 5 | AC 19 | HP 55/55 | Speed 20 feet Fort +10; Ref +9; Will +13; +2 circumstance bonus vs. hazards while using Premonition of Avoidance | Perception +13; darkvision
Skills:
Accounting Lore +12, Arcana +10, Crafting +10, Diplomacy +9, Intimidation +9, Medicine +11, Mercantile Lore +10, Occultism +10, Paraheen Lore +12, Religion +13, Scribing Lore +10, Society +10, Stealth +9

"Oh, I have not risen to the level of banker. I only handle accounting at present, but I am branching out" answers Arfluoro. "The mission that brings me here is my first in collections."

Envoy's Alliance

M Jungle Catfolk Ranger 5: spd:25, AC:22, HP:73/73, Fort:12, Ref:13, Will:8, Perc:8, Lowlight

Well, good luck on moving up in the company then.


"Well, you know, I manage a business in Absalom called the Quickfingers Equipment Emporium. If you have no chance of advancement, you can always come work for me." Shayna says.

The Exchange

Male dwarf cleric 5 | AC 19 | HP 55/55 | Speed 20 feet Fort +10; Ref +9; Will +13; +2 circumstance bonus vs. hazards while using Premonition of Avoidance | Perception +13; darkvision
Skills:
Accounting Lore +12, Arcana +10, Crafting +10, Diplomacy +9, Intimidation +9, Medicine +11, Mercantile Lore +10, Occultism +10, Paraheen Lore +12, Religion +13, Scribing Lore +10, Society +10, Stealth +9

"Thank you for the well wishes," Arfluoro begins to say to the catfolk. He pauses for a moment, then adds, "I'm afraid I didn't catch your name."

"Though I believe 'good luck' is more for Desnans. We in the Church of Abadar prefer to avoid such 'bets' and instead rely on the assurance brought by sound investments and careful financial planning."

"Thank you for the offer," he tells Shayna. "But, I have been promised a promotion if this mission goes well and if I meet my assigned goal for quarterly earnings."

Wayfinders

| Dustbound Scenery & Maps D19 | Table 2 Scenery & Maps | | Table 3 Maps & Handouts | ◆ | ◆◆ | ◆◆◆ | ◇ | ↺ | Lucid Dreaming Handout

Soundtrack #3 - Caravan: Shining Beacon of Civilization

You arrive at the Hero's Rest tavern. The retired half-elven adventurer Lu'din Astor was born in Dianne, and thanks you for answering the mayor's call for help. Food and drinks are on the house as he arranges for you to join a supply caravan headed for an Eagle Garrison outpost near the wasteland known as the Tyrant’s Grasp. The wagons will drop you off an hour’s walk from Dianne early tomorrow next morning, allowing you a full day to make any preparations you'd like while en route to the Immenwood.

Either prior to departure or in talking with members of Absalom's First Guard who are on the caravan, you have an opportunity to see if you can recall or learn any information about the current situation.

Diplomacy (Gather Information) or Society (Recall Knowledge)
Normally these are secret checks, but we trust you all to RP appropriately and not peek! :)

10 or Lower:
Having heard that the townsfolk of Dianne are in dire straits, you hear that the Ariserphia tribe of centaurs are becoming more aggressive in hopes of territorial gains.

11 to 19:
You don't recall or hear anything interesting about the town of Dianne other than what you've already heard.

20 to 29:
Residual necromantic energy from the Whispering Tyrant’s siege of Absalom is causing trees to wither on the eastern edge of the Immenwood, forcing the already-suffering town of Dianne to hunt for resources closer to the Ariserphia centaur tribe’s territory. Absalom’s military cannot intervene in these kinds of troubles without orders from their commander militant, especially while they keep watch for cultists of the Whispering Way.

30 or Above:
Residual necromantic energy from the Whispering Tyrant’s siege of Absalom is causing trees to wither on the eastern edge of the Immenwood, forcing the already-suffering town of Dianne to hunt for resources closer to the Ariserphia centaur tribe’s territory. Absalom’s military cannot intervene in these kinds of troubles without orders from their commander militant, especially while they keep watch for cultists of the Whispering Way.

You hear that the town’s arborist, Enerika Elensdottir, has been using alchemical enhancements in order to spend more time awake on-patrol, but with side-effects that make her aggressive and unapproachable. You also learn that the Ariserphia centaurs follow a shaman who practices animism — the belief that all objects, places, and things possess spiritual essence.

During the trip, someone with the caravan mentions seeing Dianne’s mayor, the halfling Rose Verlane, trying without success to get the attention of military officers at Azlanti Keep in Absalom just the day before. Since she is not with your caravan, it's presumed that she is in Absalom still trying to seek government aid.

The Exchange

Male dwarf cleric 5 | AC 19 | HP 55/55 | Speed 20 feet Fort +10; Ref +9; Will +13; +2 circumstance bonus vs. hazards while using Premonition of Avoidance | Perception +13; darkvision
Skills:
Accounting Lore +12, Arcana +10, Crafting +10, Diplomacy +9, Intimidation +9, Medicine +11, Mercantile Lore +10, Occultism +10, Paraheen Lore +12, Religion +13, Scribing Lore +10, Society +10, Stealth +9

Arfluoro tries to recall what he had read about Dianne before his departure from Absalom.

Society:

Society: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20

"I understand that residual necromantic energy from the Whispering Tyrant’s siege of Absalom is causing trees to wither on the eastern edge of the Immenwood, forcing the town of Dianne to hunt for resources closer to the Ariserphia centaur tribe’s territory." notes the accountant. "Absalom’s military cannot intervene in these kinds of troubles without orders from their commander militant, especially while they keep watch for cultists of the Whispering Way."

Vigilant Seal

"I am number four" | 820-2004 | Female Duskwalker Elf Ancestry Oracle 5 with Witch Dedication | HP 46/46| AC 22 | F +7 R +11 W +10 | Perc +10 | Focus 2/2 | Spells 1st 3/3 2nd 3/3 3rd 2/2| Hero Points 2/3 | Campaign Coin 1/1 | Exploration: Scout | Active Conditions: Darkvision; Resist Cold, Mental & Negative 1 ---

What do the Ancestors Want Today?: 1d4 ⇒ 3

Tess sings and dances in the tavern, accompanied by her spider, Mambo. Afterwards, she chats with all her admiring fans, getting information about the local situation.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (19) + 11 = 30
At work right now. I'll do a more detailed post later, but assume that I share this information with the whole party.

Envoy's Alliance

M Jungle Catfolk Ranger 5: spd:25, AC:22, HP:73/73, Fort:12, Ref:13, Will:8, Perc:8, Lowlight

Garfield looks over at Tess, impressed he learned much from the townsfolk. I don't have positive energy to counteract that, but hopefully we can break the curse.

Wayfinders

| Dustbound Scenery & Maps D19 | Table 2 Scenery & Maps | | Table 3 Maps & Handouts | ◆ | ◆◆ | ◆◆◆ | ◇ | ↺ | Lucid Dreaming Handout

As you trek, you feel a sense of heroic potential about this journey, and all begin the adventure with 1 Hero Point.

You have time for Tess to share the information she learned, so feel free to open that spoiler.

You walk through the Immenwood for the last leg of your journey, accompanied only by the sounds of insects emerging from burrows and birds taking advantage of their sluggishness before the chill of early morning departs fully. After less than an hour on-foot, you arrive in the logging town of Dianne.

At first glance, the town seems deserted, save for glimpses of a few hidden figures peeking out from doors and windows. A minute or two later, some of the braver townsfolk start to emerge to greet you, comprised of humans, gnomes, and halflings. This is quickly cut short as a cry of alarm comes from the northern edge of town — a group of centaurs are attacking!

You may set your starting position anywhere within 10 feet of the well at the center of the town square, and then...

Soundtrack #4 - "Towner" Defense: Scrap Boulevard Cleanup Crew

INITIATIVE!
Blue Centaur: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25
Pink Centaur: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28
Red Centaur: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (1) + 9 = 10
Yellow Centaur: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (15) + 9 = 24

If you roll higher than a 28, you may act!

Red Fields Maps and Scenery updated!

The Exchange

Male dwarf cleric 5 | AC 19 | HP 55/55 | Speed 20 feet Fort +10; Ref +9; Will +13; +2 circumstance bonus vs. hazards while using Premonition of Avoidance | Perception +13; darkvision
Skills:
Accounting Lore +12, Arcana +10, Crafting +10, Diplomacy +9, Intimidation +9, Medicine +11, Mercantile Lore +10, Occultism +10, Paraheen Lore +12, Religion +13, Scribing Lore +10, Society +10, Stealth +9

Arfluoro scans all of the seemingly empty buildings during regular business hours, lamenting that the obvious lack of commerce will inevitably translate into decreased revenue.
Perception: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (2) + 13 = 15

Envoy's Alliance

M Jungle Catfolk Ranger 5: spd:25, AC:22, HP:73/73, Fort:12, Ref:13, Will:8, Perc:8, Lowlight

perception init: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21 Would we have had reason to walk into this town with weapons drawn? In most towns you don't walk into them with weapons drawn? We were told of dangers here, but even so it could seem against the norm, unless it is a town of nothing but trouble here.

Wayfinders

| Dustbound Scenery & Maps D19 | Table 2 Scenery & Maps | | Table 3 Maps & Handouts | ◆ | ◆◆ | ◆◆◆ | ◇ | ↺ | Lucid Dreaming Handout
Garfield Great wrote:
[dice=perception init]1d20+8 Would we have had reason to walk into this town with weapons drawn? In most towns you don't walk into them with weapons drawn? We were told of dangers here, but even so it could seem against the norm, unless it is a town of nothing but trouble here.

That is entirely up to you, based on all that you knew heading up to this point.

Vigilant Seal

"I am number four" | 820-2004 | Female Duskwalker Elf Ancestry Oracle 5 with Witch Dedication | HP 46/46| AC 22 | F +7 R +11 W +10 | Perc +10 | Focus 2/2 | Spells 1st 3/3 2nd 3/3 3rd 2/2| Hero Points 2/3 | Campaign Coin 1/1 | Exploration: Scout | Active Conditions: Darkvision; Resist Cold, Mental & Negative 1 ---

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (9) + 10 = 19

Tess was busy greeting the locals when she was surprised.


Retcon
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (10) + 11 = 21

Shayna only nods at Arfluoro, as she was told pretty much the same thing.
End Retcon

Perception: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (18) + 11 = 29

"Wha--?!" Shayna squeaks in surprise as the centaurs charge into the center of town. Looking around, she realizes to her disgust (at herself) that she'd neglected to summon her flute. Not wanting to waste time doing so, Shayna hums a melody to encourage her companions.

Performance, Inspire Courage: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (8) + 11 = 19
Which probably doesn't work; IC only good for 1 rd

Shayna then chants a magical phrase and three images suddenly spring up beside her.


◆ Inspire Courage
◆◆ Cast Mirror Image

Wayfinders

| Dustbound Scenery & Maps D19 | Table 2 Scenery & Maps | | Table 3 Maps & Handouts | ◆ | ◆◆ | ◆◆◆ | ◇ | ↺ | Lucid Dreaming Handout

Shayna inspires her allies for a few moments and casts a spell to protect herself from harm before the centaur raiders charge in!

The Pink centaur strides (◆) towards the center of town and throws a spear at Shayna! (◆)

Thrown Spear: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 23
Piercing: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

They then draw their longsword. (◆)

The Blue centaur follows these exact motions, ending their movement (◆) next to the Pink one and throwing their spear (◆) at Tess!

Thrown Spear: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21
Piercing: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6

They too draw their longsword afterwards. (◆)

The Yellow centaur strides (twice) through the difficult terrain (undergrowth) on the edge of town (◆)(◆) then throws their spear at Garfield but a little bit out of range for an optimal strike! (◆)

Thrown Spear: 1d20 + 9 - 2 ⇒ (19) + 9 - 2 = 26 (range increment penalty)
Piercing: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9

Shayna and Garfield are both hit, but the other spear barely misses Tess!

Soundtrack #4 - "Towner" Defense: Scrap Boulevard Cleanup Crew

ROUND 1
Garfield (9 damage)
Tess (0 damage)
Arfluoro (0 damage)
Red centaur
ROUND 2
Shayna (5 damage)
Pink centaur
Blue centaur
Yellow centaur

Recall Knowledge check is Nature, but your GMs also allow Society for Centaurs.

Garfield, Tess, and Arfluoro are up!

Map is updated!

Vigilant Seal

1 person marked this as a favorite.
"I am number four" | 820-2004 | Female Duskwalker Elf Ancestry Oracle 5 with Witch Dedication | HP 46/46| AC 22 | F +7 R +11 W +10 | Perc +10 | Focus 2/2 | Spells 1st 3/3 2nd 3/3 3rd 2/2| Hero Points 2/3 | Campaign Coin 1/1 | Exploration: Scout | Active Conditions: Darkvision; Resist Cold, Mental & Negative 1 ---

What do the Ancestors Want?:

Ancestral Influence: 1d4 ⇒ 3

1=Martial (if moderate curse, your Strikes gain a +1 status bonus to attack rolls and a +2 status bonus to damage.)
2=Skillful (if moderate curse, +1 status bonus to skill checks and perception.)
3=Spellcasting (if moderate curse, non-cantrip spells without a duration gain a status bonus to their damage and healing equal to the spell's level.)
4=Tess’s Choice

As the spear flies by her face, Tess feels her ancestors struggle within her. Fight! No, skills! Skills! Then one voice in her head demands, Defeat them with magic!

"Wouldn't it be better to know first what we're dealing with?" Tess mutters under her breath. She struggles with her ancestors...

Flat Check to do a skill this round: 1d20 ⇒ 1 Well, that's one action lost...

...and fails.

Mambo, her spider familiar, shakes with laughter. "I guess they really want spells, boss."

"Fine!" Tess shouts, "CALM DOWN!"

She casts one of the favorite spells of psychopomps, Calm Emotions, on Pink and Blue.

DC 21 Will Save, please.

"We did not seek this fight! We have not caused you harm! Stand down!"

◈ Futile struggle with ancestors
◈◈ Calm Emotions

Wayfinders

| Dustbound Scenery & Maps D19 | Table 2 Scenery & Maps | | Table 3 Maps & Handouts | ◆ | ◆◆ | ◆◆◆ | ◇ | ↺ | Lucid Dreaming Handout

GM Screen:
Blue: 1d20 ⇒ 19
Pink: 1d20 ⇒ 1

The Blue centaur appears to be hardly affected at all (success), but the Pink centaur looks disinterested in fighting at all at this point (critical fail)!

Garfield and Arfluoro are still up!

Envoy's Alliance

M Jungle Catfolk Ranger 5: spd:25, AC:22, HP:73/73, Fort:12, Ref:13, Will:8, Perc:8, Lowlight

First action, Garfield draw his shortbow of striking
2nd action, Garfield hunts prey on yellow
and 3rd action he uses hunted shot (two shots with one action, resistance applies once after both shots)
hit shortbow: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (4) + 14 = 18 dmg: 2d6 + 1 ⇒ (4, 3) + 1 = 8 piercing
hit shorbow: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (20) + 9 = 29 dmg: 2d6 + 1 ⇒ (6, 6) + 1 = 13 piercing. deadly d10: 1d10 ⇒ 10
precision damage: 1d8 ⇒ 8 applies once per round and the first attack that hits.

The Exchange

Male dwarf cleric 5 | AC 19 | HP 55/55 | Speed 20 feet Fort +10; Ref +9; Will +13; +2 circumstance bonus vs. hazards while using Premonition of Avoidance | Perception +13; darkvision
Skills:
Accounting Lore +12, Arcana +10, Crafting +10, Diplomacy +9, Intimidation +9, Medicine +11, Mercantile Lore +10, Occultism +10, Paraheen Lore +12, Religion +13, Scribing Lore +10, Society +10, Stealth +9

Arfluoro eyes up these newcomers, trying to ascertain what they hope to profit from such an attack and whether any appear particularly devout.
Society +10

He then selects what one he believes to be most devout or, instead, the nearest threat (blue?) and has words with the attacker.

"Such savagery! What do you hope to gain by this unprovoked attack? And is it worth endangering your future wealth and prosperity?" he cries.
Two action - crisis of faith
Mental damage: 6d6 ⇒ (4, 2, 2, 4, 6, 3) = 21

Will DC 21:

Critical Success The target is unaffected.
Success The target takes half damage.
Failure The target takes full damage; if the target can cast divine spells, it’s stupefled 1 for 1 round.
Critical Failure The target takes double damage, is stupefled 1 for 1 round, and can’t cast divine spells for 1 round.

Wayfinders

| Dustbound Scenery & Maps D19 | Table 2 Scenery & Maps | | Table 3 Maps & Handouts | ◆ | ◆◆ | ◆◆◆ | ◇ | ↺ | Lucid Dreaming Handout

Again, very sorry for the delay

Garfield's first shot goes wide, but the second one critically finds its mark, killing the centaur who was trying to flank your group!

Blue Will: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (17) + 9 = 26

The lead centaur reels from the mental blow, but continues the assault.

The red centaur follows the opening tactic of the others - advances, throws their spear at Shayna, then draws a longsword.

Spear: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (1) + 9 = 10
Piercing: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

Soundtrack #4 - "Towner" Defense: Scrap Boulevard Cleanup Crew

ROUND 2
Shayna (5 damage, 3 mirror images)
Pink centaur (Calm Emotions: Critical Fail)
Blue centaur (10 damage, -1 status to attacks)
Yellow centaur (Dead)
Garfield (9 damage)
Tess (0 damage)
Arfluoro (0 damage)
Red centaur
ROUND 3

Recall Knowledge check is Nature, but your GMs also allow Society for Centaurs.

Shayna is up!

Map is updated!

Wayfinders

| Dustbound Scenery & Maps D19 | Table 2 Scenery & Maps | | Table 3 Maps & Handouts | ◆ | ◆◆ | ◆◆◆ | ◇ | ↺ | Lucid Dreaming Handout

GM Screen:
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24

Arfluoro:
You know that centaurs have the ability to trample, but favor arms and armor. These four three appear to be young-adult centaurs who are obviously letting anger override reason.


Shayna sings a discordant set of notes and points at the three centaurs, targeting the area that overlaps them all.

"HONK"

Sonic Damage, DC 21 Basic Fortitude: 2d10 ⇒ (4, 2) = 6

She then moves back to stay clear of any possible retribution.

Wayfinders

| Dustbound Scenery & Maps D19 | Table 2 Scenery & Maps | | Table 3 Maps & Handouts | ◆ | ◆◆ | ◆◆◆ | ◇ | ↺ | Lucid Dreaming Handout

Blue Fort: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13
Red Fort: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22
Yellow Fort: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21

Shayna's spell damages all three centaurs - the blue one more so than the others.

The pink centaur is still not interested in fighting thanks to Tess, and moves away from the town square back towards the edge of the woods.

The blue one, hurt and enraged, raises its shield and trots forward, swinging its sword at Tess, but misses!

Longsword: 1d20 + 11 - 1 ⇒ (6) + 11 - 1 = 16
Slashing: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6

Soundtrack #4 - "Towner" Defense: Scrap Boulevard Cleanup Crew

ROUND 2
Garfield (9 damage)
Tess (0 damage)
Arfluoro (0 damage)
Red centaur (3 damage)
ROUND 3
Shayna (5 damage, 3 mirror images)
Pink centaur (3 damage, Calm Emotions: Critical Fail)
Blue centaur (16 damage, -1 status to attacks)
Yellow centaur (Dead)

Recall Knowledge check is Nature, but your GMs also allow Society for Centaurs.

Garfield, Tess, and Arfluoro are up!

Map is updated!

Envoy's Alliance

M Jungle Catfolk Ranger 5: spd:25, AC:22, HP:73/73, Fort:12, Ref:13, Will:8, Perc:8, Lowlight

Garfield will move back 15 feet, hunt prey on the red one and use his 3rd action to hunted shot the red one hit: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (4) + 14 = 18 dmg: 2d6 + 1 ⇒ (6, 5) + 1 = 12 hit: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (15) + 9 = 24 dmg: 2d6 + 1 ⇒ (4, 4) + 1 = 9 precision dmg: 1d8 ⇒ 5 if I hit at all.

Vigilant Seal

"I am number four" | 820-2004 | Female Duskwalker Elf Ancestry Oracle 5 with Witch Dedication | HP 46/46| AC 22 | F +7 R +11 W +10 | Perc +10 | Focus 2/2 | Spells 1st 3/3 2nd 3/3 3rd 2/2| Hero Points 2/3 | Campaign Coin 1/1 | Exploration: Scout | Active Conditions: Darkvision; Resist Cold, Mental & Negative 1 ---

What do the Ancestors Want?:

Ancestral Influence: 1d4 ⇒ 3

1=Martial (if moderate curse, your Strikes gain a +1 status bonus to attack rolls and a +2 status bonus to damage.)
2=Skillful (if moderate curse, +1 status bonus to skill checks and perception.)
3=Spellcasting (if moderate curse, non-cantrip spells without a duration gain a status bonus to their damage and healing equal to the spell's level.)
4=Tess’s Choice

Once again the ancestors struggle within Tess. But the one who loves magic shouts loudest of all. Spells! Use your spells to defeat them!

With Blue having thrust its sword at her, she reaches out in annoyance. "I told you to stand down and you did not listen. Now I tell you be afraid. Very, very afraid."

Ancestral Touch (DC 21 Will Basic Save): 3d4 ⇒ (4, 2, 4) = 10
If it fails, it becomes Frightened 1

Rather than struggle with the ancestors, Tess casts Electric Arc on Red and Blue.

Electric Arc (DC 21 Reflex): 3d4 + 4 ⇒ (4, 3, 3) + 4 = 14

"STAND DOWN!"

The Exchange

Male dwarf cleric 5 | AC 19 | HP 55/55 | Speed 20 feet Fort +10; Ref +9; Will +13; +2 circumstance bonus vs. hazards while using Premonition of Avoidance | Perception +13; darkvision
Skills:
Accounting Lore +12, Arcana +10, Crafting +10, Diplomacy +9, Intimidation +9, Medicine +11, Mercantile Lore +10, Occultism +10, Paraheen Lore +12, Religion +13, Scribing Lore +10, Society +10, Stealth +9

"These appear to be young-adult centaurs who are obviously letting anger override reason," Arfluoro informs his new allies. "Though they appear to be favoring arms and armor, they are quick and can easily trample one under hoof."

The accountant utters a short prayer to the god of civilization, "Abadar, help me bring order to this unruly scene."
Casting guidance on self.

Then, the dwarf shouts, "Childish colts! Lay down your arms and explain yourselves, 'lest you find yourselves penned up in a corral--or worse!"

Intimidation to Demoralize red w/guidance: 1d20 + 9 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 9 + 1 = 16

Uncertain of his success, the dwarf takes up a more defensive position by a nearby building.


Posting ahead in the event my turn rolls around while I'm asleep

Shayna again tries to sing a memorable ditty to inspire her comrades. She makes the tune a catchy tune.

Performance, Lingering Composition: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (5) + 13 = 18
If that succeeds, Inspire Courage for 3 rds, if not, 1 rd

She then picks up some loose debris and wings it at Blue.

TKP vs Blue: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (13) + 11 = 24
Bludgeoning Damage: 3d6 + 4 ⇒ (3, 3, 2) + 4 = 12


◇ Lingering Composition
◆ Inspire Courage
◆◆ TKP vs Blue

Wayfinders

| Dustbound Scenery & Maps D19 | Table 2 Scenery & Maps | | Table 3 Maps & Handouts | ◆ | ◆◆ | ◆◆◆ | ◇ | ↺ | Lucid Dreaming Handout

Garfield's first shot goes wide, but the second one finds its mark, damaging the red centaur just as much as the blue one, now.

Blue Will: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13
Blue Ref: 1d20 + 9 - 1 ⇒ (3) + 9 - 1 = 11
Red Ref: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21

The blue centaur withers under Tess's words and spells, and due to it being frightened of her, it critically fails its save against her electric arc and dies!

The red centaur is definitely singed by the spell, and even though Arfluoro's words don't seem to bite too deep, the death of two centaurs while one of the remainder are injured and the other unable to fight causes the red centaur to flee, spending three actions (◆◆◆) to gallop away from town at full speed!

Whether Shayna decides to take a telekinetic pot-shot at the remaining centaur or not, it also flees behind its brethren (◆◆◆), leaving only dust in its wake.

Hero Point Award to Tess for fantastic tactics and RP!

You are now out of combat!

Well done! Look for another post coming shortly!


Soundtrack #5 - Apothecary and Arborist: Just Another Job

Immediately after the battle, a rugged woman of Ulfen descent comes running into town from a patrol route to the north. The first thing you notice about her is that she is missing her left arm just below the elbow, replaced by a weaponized prosthetic of an oversized crossbow capable of hosting massive spiked bolts.

Art & Scenery Updated!

Emerging from a shop labeled "apothecary" is a gnome with bright green hair, apron full to bursting with potions and reagents. Seeing no active threats, the two women share a hug before turning to you, the tall blonde speaking first.

"I'm not sure who you are, but you couldn't have been here at a better time to protect the people. I'm Enerik-"

The gnome cuts her off. "And some of them are hurt and we shouldn't be making our guests stand in the middle of the street yapping, right?? I'm Gidget! Everybody inside the shop for soup and medicine!" Gidget picks up a discarded spear and uses it like an explorer's walking staff to lead the way back inside.

Despite being more than double the gnome's height and with arm muscles bigger than the little one's head, Enerika just smiles a bit sheepishly. "Well, you heard the lady. Let us take care of your wounds - it's the least we can do to thank you."

On your way inside, you can recover any of the following gear from the battlefield:
- 8 spears
- 2 longswords
- 2 steel shelds
- 2 breastplates

Once inside, Enerika helps Gidget make and serve tasty soup while the gnome applies her medicinal skills, restoring all of you to full health.

The pair share the town’s history as a simple logging camp until a selfless herbalist named Dianne set up a free medical clinic and soup kitchen in 4320 AR, on the very spot they now sit. Those acts of kindness influenced the types of people who settled the area. They share that the centaurs moved to the area in 4592 AR following the death of the dragon Maejerx Steeleye, but never seemed to want to interact with any humanoids living in the area.

The town suffered during the Fiendflesh Siege of Absalom in 4717. A temporary evacuation was called for, but rampaging demonic creatures still ranged into the area, killing many citizens. With nobody to defend the area, the whole town was heavily damaged, taking over a year to rebuild. When Tar-Baphon's armies drew close in 4719, the town voted to stand their ground rather than flee a second time. This would be a grave decision, leading to the deaths of over a third of Dianne’s population, including Enerika’s whole family.

Now, centaurs have started harassing the town's loggers and farmers. Today's raid on the center of town is the most brazen they've been. Neither Gidget nor Enerika know why the centaurs have taken issue with the townfolk, but fear that a third incident might break the town's spirit once and for all.

"Our friend Rose, the mayor, is in Absalom trying to get the military involved even though we all know they won't help," Enerika says as she helps collect dishes once everyone is finished eating and resting. "Most of the centaur tribes in the Kortos Mounts respect strength. My loggers and I think that removing this tribe's leader will stop these attacks. We'd like to hire you to do just that - track down whoever is behind this centaur tribe attacking our people, and do away with them. What do you say?"

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male dwarf cleric 5 | AC 19 | HP 55/55 | Speed 20 feet Fort +10; Ref +9; Will +13; +2 circumstance bonus vs. hazards while using Premonition of Avoidance | Perception +13; darkvision
Skills:
Accounting Lore +12, Arcana +10, Crafting +10, Diplomacy +9, Intimidation +9, Medicine +11, Mercantile Lore +10, Occultism +10, Paraheen Lore +12, Religion +13, Scribing Lore +10, Society +10, Stealth +9
Enerika Elensdottir wrote:
"Most of the centaur tribes in the Kortos Mounts respect strength. My loggers and I think that removing this tribe's leader will stop these attacks. We'd like to hire you to do just that - track down whoever is behind this centaur tribe attacking our people, and do away with them. What do you say?"

"It all sounds rather dreadful to me," pipes up Arfluoro, "and I suppose it may explain why a number of establishments in this town have been late with their payments."

He pauses for a moment, subconsciously stroking his beard, "Although, if you have sufficient coin to hire adventurers, then one would think one would use it to satisfy outstanding debts. It is a simple matter of priorities, really."

"In any event, 'doing away' with someone--as you put it--would seem a rather drastic measure." concludes the accountant. "And a costly one at that. Not sure how much profit there is paying for killing someone, especially when death is a natural and inevitable process. Better to simply wait for it to come, incurring no additional expense, than to invest in such a potentially risky endeavor."

Arfluoro shakes his head, as of yet unconvinced of the wisdom of the matter, "What do you know of this centaur tribe's leader? And have you tried talking with them? Pursuing some sort of contractual remedy, perhaps?"

Envoy's Alliance

M Jungle Catfolk Ranger 5: spd:25, AC:22, HP:73/73, Fort:12, Ref:13, Will:8, Perc:8, Lowlight

Take out the leader to stop the attacks, sounds like a good plan, but without a leader, they are going to be wondering what to do, we should offer the alive centaurs guidance and assistance. They are going to be wondering what to do now, whether hunt or find jobs.


Enerika glares a little bit at Arfluoro. "The money we have are from my family's life savings and contributions from like-minded loggers who still have families to protect. This isn't an affluent place where people make lots of coin. And after so much death in just the last decade, this town doesn't have any time left." She huffs, obviously getting worked up before Gidget puts a hand on her wrist, seeming to calm her down as the gnome replies after that.

"We don't really have any contact with the centaurs. They never really reached out to us when they moved to the area, we didn't have any need to contact them, so I guess everybody just kept doing what they were doing until all this mess started. I'm not sure anyone knows what else to do."

Unless Tess or Shayna have other input, we will need to take a brief pause until my co-GM returns home from her conference as this next part is hers :)

Vigilant Seal

1 person marked this as a favorite.
"I am number four" | 820-2004 | Female Duskwalker Elf Ancestry Oracle 5 with Witch Dedication | HP 46/46| AC 22 | F +7 R +11 W +10 | Perc +10 | Focus 2/2 | Spells 1st 3/3 2nd 3/3 3rd 2/2| Hero Points 2/3 | Campaign Coin 1/1 | Exploration: Scout | Active Conditions: Darkvision; Resist Cold, Mental & Negative 1 ---

As they are all herded in to Gidget's place for soup and medicine, Tess looks excited. "Soup is fascinating food... Did you know that it comes in many different styles? During the five months that I have been alive I have had fish chowder, ramen, tomato bisque, and potato leek. What sort of soup do you serve? Can I have the recipe? I love trying new mortal dishes!"

★ ---- ★ ---- ★ ---- ★

However, when Enerika asks them to do away with the centaur's leader, Tess stands up, casts prestidigitation to clean the bowl, and hands the bowl back to Gidget. "I am not an assassin." Tess rolls up her sleeve, revealing an entire inconography of skulls, spiders and spirals tattooed upon her skin. "I am a duskwalker, reincarnated from souls whose time on earth was too short. In another era, I would have been solely Pharasma's tool, dedicated to the will of my goddess. In this one, my mother Tosof told me to find my own purpose."

Tess rolls her sleeve down. "So... this is what I chose. To honor life. To protect it. My goddess Pharasma is not just the Lady of Graves. She is also the Mother of Souls." Tess looks to Enerika. "Your duty is to your people and I honor that. But you must understand that all lives are sacred. I will not spend them cheaply."

"You say that the centaurs will not listen to reason... And I admit that the ones that I met so far were less than reasonable," Tess acknowledges. "But let's test that theory. I propose that we visit with the centaurs. If the leader is what you say, perhaps we will be forced to fight them and matters will resolve the way you requested. But if the leader is a creature of reason and empathy... perhaps then we can find common ground for all the souls here. Either way, I will do my best to protect the innocent and end this quarrel."

Wayfinders

| Dustbound Scenery & Maps D19 | Table 2 Scenery & Maps | | Table 3 Maps & Handouts | ◆ | ◆◆ | ◆◆◆ | ◇ | ↺ | Lucid Dreaming Handout

Enerika shrugs and throws her hands in the air with frustration. "Fine. Handle it however you want. I just hope you don't get yourselves or anyone else around here killed because of it." She mutters an apology to Gidget before storming out.

The gnome sighs, looking out the window as her friend disappears down a forest path out of town. "Enerika means well, truly. But since this isn't a case of tree husbandry, strength-of-arms is the only other thing she has experience in when dealing with emergencies." Brightening up a bit, especially at Tess's earlier enthusiasm for food, Gidget brings out four double-lined steel mugs with caps on them. "Here! I'm working with a blacksmith in Absalom to try and create portable soup mugs that keep it hot, or in today's case, cold for this gazpacho on such a warm spring day. You can test them out and have some soup for the road!"

Fully healed, fed, and with a thermos full of gazpacho each, you are now dispatched on your mission to help the town of Dianne. What would you like to do?

The Exchange

Male dwarf cleric 5 | AC 19 | HP 55/55 | Speed 20 feet Fort +10; Ref +9; Will +13; +2 circumstance bonus vs. hazards while using Premonition of Avoidance | Perception +13; darkvision
Skills:
Accounting Lore +12, Arcana +10, Crafting +10, Diplomacy +9, Intimidation +9, Medicine +11, Mercantile Lore +10, Occultism +10, Paraheen Lore +12, Religion +13, Scribing Lore +10, Society +10, Stealth +9

"Do we know where this tribe of centaurs dwells? Or where they may strike next?" inquires Arfluoro. "If not, I trust at least one of you has some experience with tracking? My skill in such is limited to paper trails, I am afraid."

Envoy's Alliance

M Jungle Catfolk Ranger 5: spd:25, AC:22, HP:73/73, Fort:12, Ref:13, Will:8, Perc:8, Lowlight

I could track, but maybe somebody better is out there. Garfield is only trained.

Envoy's Alliance

M Jungle Catfolk Ranger 5: spd:25, AC:22, HP:73/73, Fort:12, Ref:13, Will:8, Perc:8, Lowlight

Garfield will try to track survival: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21 to see where they came from.

Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / (PaizoCon 2022) Red. Fields - Wayfinder 22 Side Trek Adventure All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.