The Last King of Ireland

Game Master Amergin the Wise


1,801 to 1,850 of 2,901 << first < prev | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | next > last >>

Female Human Cleric 5 HP 30/47| AC 10/10/10 | CMB +3| CMD 13| F:4 R:1 W:8 | Init +0| Per +6

Hearing the shout from the herald, Sister Coblaith steps out into the hall.
K(Nobility): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26

Cobhlaith Knows:
The Fergusons are the kings of Carraig Bhrachai, having taken advantage of the recent assassination of Aodh O'Maolfabhail by the defunct High King MacLochlain. This implies that the traitor Sitric O'Maolfabhail, Aodh's brother, was King Ferguson's vassal, for better or, as came to be, for worse.

As Aoife's voice sounds behind her, she turns.
"AOIFE!"
Sister Cobhlaith's voice is almost screeching.

"Please, come aside and let me check your wounds." she says more calmly.
Without waiting for a response, Sister Cobhlaith places her hand firmly on Aoife's shoulder.
She can be heard muttering a Latin prayer under her breath.
Heal Skill: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (1) + 11 = 12


Female Human Fighter(Two-Weapon Warrior) 3/Brawler 4 AC 21, Touch 15, FF 17 | HP 53/53 | F +10, R +9, W +2 | Init +3 | Perc +11

Aoife does as Cobhlaith suggests and moves to the side where she can sit and the sister look at her wound. "Sorry, I would have asked for help getting out of bed but... Well honestly I was a bit embarrassed." She admitted.

"Oh and... You might want to have the bedding changed... pretty sure my blood is all over it now..." Aoife told them as she tried to catch her breath.


Female Human Cleric 5 HP 30/47| AC 10/10/10 | CMB +3| CMD 13| F:4 R:1 W:8 | Init +0| Per +6

"Yes, a lot of blood was shed last night to protect Conchobar. And he's still not fully recovered from the poison on the arrowhead."

After a closer look at the wounds, which seem to be healing as well as can be expected, she looks intently in the young warriors face.

"God saved you last night! You may want to accompany me to Mass this morning, before we face this new threat. A bit of gratitude would not be amiss. "

It is Sunday morning, and even a truncated Mass will be better than none.


Male CN Bard (Brazen Deceiver) 5 | HP: 56/56 | AC: 18 (14 Tch, 15 Fl) | CMB: +6, CMD: 19 | F: +3, R: +9, W: +4 | Init: +2 | Perc: +3, SM: +6 | Speed 30ft | Bardic Performance: 22/28 | Mythic Power: 1/5 | Spells: 1st 5/6, 2nd 2/5, 3rd 0/2 | Active conditions: 0 Non-lethal Damage.

K Nobility: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (6) + 10 = 16

Daire thinks:

Do we have any means to escape? With Conchobhar that injured?

K Geography: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7

Daire will go up to Cobhlaith and discretely ask:

"Sister, if worst comes to worst, can Conchobhar be moved? What would we need to do it?"


Male Human Ranger (Skirmisher) 4, Rogue (Waylayer) 1 | HP: 42/55 ( +5 mythic) |AC: 19 (T:14, FF:15) CMB: +7, CMD: 19| F: +5, R: +9, W: +3 | Init: +4(+1 surprise+2 woods) | Perc: +9| Speed 30ft | 2/26 breath

"Daire, I wish I could even claim to be a pretty face! And this sort of a night will only make it less so as i pull out what is left of my hair!"
A smile creeping to his face and a little life returning to his face as the stresses of the last hours lessen, albeit only a little.

Ruadhán stands his part of the nightly watch and sleeps when he gets the chance. He wakes, stiff and sore, but still remarkably healed.

"That only gives us a few hours. Muirchertach, whilst Conchobar is incapacitated, who is his second, his chief advisor and his general and if they are the same person then is it you?
Sister Cobhlaith, one moment, our most hallowed Lord God has seen fit to grant you the power to save Aoife, so he must approve of what we do here. I dare to imagine he will understand if Aoife thanks him later, but we could really use her opinions here right now, and yours too.
Lords and friends, I am no general, a mere scout and not a clever man, but I have fought in a few battles and here are my thoughts. Firstly what troops do we have and what disposition, mounted, heavy foot, missile and skirmishers? What do they have?
Secondly, is there any terrain we can use on their route to our advantage? Possibly even an ambush site or bottleneck that a small and mobile force could use to slow them down. Given the opportunity, I would like the chance to go forward with a contingent of kerns and any mounted men we have. If we can ambush them from high ground, or better still a cliff, we can land many darts, arrows or javelins amongst them. We then run for it and the mounted troops cover our retreat. At worst we lose some skirmishers, at best we take a heavy toll and slow the king's advance.
Thirdly, we need someone to lead us, currently the men seem dispirited after that foul treachery, and they need to be pulled back in line, to want to fight together. I would say Sister Cobhlaith is our figurehead, but you do not wield a sword and so cannot be our leader. I would say Aoife, with God's clear favour, but you are still too hurt. So King Muirchertach it is I guess either you or you King Ferguson. I would also say Daire here is the man to get whatever message you want, out to the men, to bring them back to the fight, to make them understand that we do God's work today."


Female Human Fighter(Two-Weapon Warrior) 3/Brawler 4 AC 21, Touch 15, FF 17 | HP 53/53 | F +10, R +9, W +2 | Init +3 | Perc +11

"If you believe I would sit this out you are gravely mistake my friend." Aoife said as she stood from the seat she had taken. "God saw fit to save my life, which means there is more meant for me to do upon this earth." Aoife began as she forced herself to stand tall, even through the pain. "I will fight in this battle even if His plan is to have me die within it. My willingness greatly surpasses the wounds upon my flesh. If you have need of me here at Conchobar's defense I will be." She stated loudly and clearly. Then she gave the grin most of her friends knew her for. "Not even Hell itself can stand in my way. With you and Thorun at my side, given by God's grace, we can over come Ruadhán."

"However, even with His blessing I do not believe the men would follow my orders. I lost my mind a bit in my fight against Sitric. All here now know who I am, and even with King's blood within me I am a bastard and a slave. I doubt any would follow such into battle. Even with my participation in the Battle of Boho."


Female Human Cleric 5 HP 30/47| AC 10/10/10 | CMB +3| CMD 13| F:4 R:1 W:8 | Init +0| Per +6

"I think Daire's talents at swaying minds and enthralling hearts could be put to good use in rallying Conchobar's supporters," Sister Cobhlaith replies.

"For now, let King Muirchertach assume the leadership position. And let him join us at Conchobar's bedside to hear what he has to add.

"Perhaps at that moment, we can get the abbot to ask for God's healing on us as well."

Cobhlaith is trying to get everyone together so that the abbot can Channel Energy over the group

"With Conchobar's agreement, we can then send you out scouting, Rhuadhan. And with your information, Thorun and Aoife can work with the kings and their troops to create a plan for dealing with the King of Derry.

"My strengths are in knowledge and healing, not fighting, so it's best I remain where I can put those to use. I'll stay with Conchobar, and if you would be willing Aoife, you can be the final barrier should things go badly for our band."


Male Human Ranger (Skirmisher) 4, Rogue (Waylayer) 1 | HP: 42/55 ( +5 mythic) |AC: 19 (T:14, FF:15) CMB: +7, CMD: 19| F: +5, R: +9, W: +3 | Init: +4(+1 surprise+2 woods) | Perc: +9| Speed 30ft | 2/26 breath

"I think you would both be surprised at the fickleness of the morale of soldiers. Aoife, they saw you take what would normally be a mortal wound fighting to save their chosen king and yet you live, clearly chosen for great purposes by God, why would they not follow such a symbol. And, I didn't say, sitting it out, I would merely suggest a more rearward protective role for Conchobar or his representative. Sister Cobhlaith you may be a scholar and healer, but I fear what you did here is too big a symbol not to be present on the battlefield. I guarantee you that soldiers will fight both harder and stronger if they believe that not only do they fight on God's side, but one of his chosen is there to heal their wounds. Plus there your healing will most definitely be needed. Will it be possible to move Conchobar? "


Female Human Cleric 5 HP 30/47| AC 10/10/10 | CMB +3| CMD 13| F:4 R:1 W:8 | Init +0| Per +6

"You know far better than I what inspires fighters, Ruadhan.

"I think if we can get the blessing of the abbot this morning, most of you will be nearly healed if not completely so by the time we need to confront the King of Derry.

"And who knows, perhaps he will be amenable to Diare's sweet reason, or even Conchobar's requests."

Sister Cobhlaith considers the options for a few moments, then says, "Let's go to the infirmary and check on Conchobar's situation. I will speak with the abbot and see if he has any advice and can offer his thoughts and prayers before this confrontation."


Female Human Fighter(Two-Weapon Warrior) 3/Brawler 4 AC 21, Touch 15, FF 17 | HP 53/53 | F +10, R +9, W +2 | Init +3 | Perc +11

"Morale can be raised simply by having my among the soldiers. Even maybe leading a small scouting group when you take your own out." Aoife stated. "Let them see that I survived the night, that would help if morale is what you're worried about."

"But the reason I asked if this was the majority of those here's home, if because as Ruadhán suggested, using the area to our advantage can help make up for the numbers we have lost. Those here who know this land better thank anyone else, your hunters, trappers, even farmers can give information you may not know." Aoife said. "Use it. They're coming be horse back most likely right? Horses can be spooked to toss riders, tripped up." She said as she took a moment to look herself over. "I look terrible... If you're going for that morale idea my friend you might want to give me a little bit... I still look like I could fall over at any moment. I also need to see if my armor still functions, it did have a sword go right through it so I think that is doubtful..."


Female Human Cleric 5 HP 30/47| AC 10/10/10 | CMB +3| CMD 13| F:4 R:1 W:8 | Init +0| Per +6

Cobhlaith steps out into the hall, looking for a servant or slave.

Upon seeing one she says, "Would you bring some warm water and some cloths? And take these away to be burned."
She hands the bloody bandages and Aoife's ruined clothing to them.

Returning to the room she says, "Thorun, can you find someone who can replace Aoife's armor with something less bloody and damaged?

"Surely someone has spare armor in this place."

She steps over to her backpack and rummages through it for a clean shift for Aoife.
"Try this."

Standing, she looks around Conchobar's room.
"Or perhaps we can find a young squire who is about your size. Would Conchobar's clothing fit you?"


Male CN Bard (Brazen Deceiver) 5 | HP: 56/56 | AC: 18 (14 Tch, 15 Fl) | CMB: +6, CMD: 19 | F: +3, R: +9, W: +4 | Init: +2 | Perc: +3, SM: +6 | Speed 30ft | Bardic Performance: 22/28 | Mythic Power: 1/5 | Spells: 1st 5/6, 2nd 2/5, 3rd 0/2 | Active conditions: 0 Non-lethal Damage.

Daire pipes up.

"I have a few words that can sway men, and I'm not half bad with a blade or a stone if it comes to it. And if needs be, I can be very hard to find. If we can gather a good mass of the men together, I can whip them up for battle. Or if you need aid on scouting, I can do that also."


As they all assess the situation, King Muirchertach appears the obvious choice – and perhaps the only choice given the recent attempt on Conchobar’s life by one of Ferguson’s men – to lead their forces against those of their enemies.

”These are my lands,” the King of An Breadhach affirms. ”It is only right that I should defend them.”

Muirchertach looks to Ferguson and the King of Carraig Brachaidhe nods, content to put his warrior under the command of his ally and old friend. Then, having heard the advice of Ruadhan and his companions, he describes their forces: ”I have two hundred men. There are one hundred men of Aileach, come to stand behind Conchobar against his uncle. And, assuming that the O’Maolfabhail have all fled, Ferguson has one hundred men under his flag. But many could be leaving as we speak, fearing the worst and imagining the battle already lost,” Muirchertach sighs.

He turns to Daire. ”You have a way with words? Then go and see if you can turn the tide and ensure that all our men stay and fight for what is right. Tell them that God is with us.”

Then, he addresses Ruadhan. ”I have sent two of my most trusted and able men to evaluate our enemy. They should be back within the hour, God willing. In the meantime, my fifty riders are under your command. They know the land and will fight for you fiercely as this is their home.”

”We have all seen you fight,” he speaks to Aoife and Thorun. ”We are blessed to have you with us and my men will make sure that you are both armoured and equipped as needed for the battle to come. In the meantime, I will expect you at my side and hear your counsel.”

Finally, he faces Sister Cobhlaith. ”Your presence among us warms my heart and soul, and convinces me that, whether we live or die, our cause is just. Praised be.”

He crosses himself. ”Let us go see young Conchobar.”

Daire: you may attempt to convince each of the three banners separately. Your speeches and rolls will determine how many of the men described above remain!

Ruadhan: how do you want to proceed? Do you want to go ahead or wait until the scouts return with information on the enemy?

Aoife, Thorun, and Cobhlaith: unless you say otherwise, you are all on your way to the infirmary…


Female Human Fighter(Two-Weapon Warrior) 3/Brawler 4 AC 21, Touch 15, FF 17 | HP 53/53 | F +10, R +9, W +2 | Init +3 | Perc +11

"I would like to make sure he's okay. I trust in Cobhlaith, so I am sure he is alive but... well he is the reason we came all this way. I'd like to ensure he's alright." Aoife agreed before she followed King Muirchertach.

"So... Thorun, you killed Stiric right?" Aoife asked as they walked. "Good, but what happened to his guard? The one that stabbed me, I've a score to settle at the very least." She half joked as they walked.


Male Human Barbarian (Superstitious) 7 AC 20, Touch 13, FF 18 | HP 105/105 | F +8, R +5, W +5 | Init +5 | Perc +12
Raging Stats:
AC 18, Touch 11, FF 16 | HP 119/119 | F +10, R +5, W +7 | Init +5 | Perc +12

Thorun nods to Muirchertach and grunts. "Aye, I'll help how I can."

He turns to Aoife and blinks. "Oh, yeah. Guess yer right. Sorry I...get a little distracted when fighting."


Female Human Fighter(Two-Weapon Warrior) 3/Brawler 4 AC 21, Touch 15, FF 17 | HP 53/53 | F +10, R +9, W +2 | Init +3 | Perc +11

"I've noticed." Aoife said with a shrug. "What do you remember?" She asked.


Male Human Barbarian (Superstitious) 7 AC 20, Touch 13, FF 18 | HP 105/105 | F +8, R +5, W +5 | Init +5 | Perc +12
Raging Stats:
AC 18, Touch 11, FF 16 | HP 119/119 | F +10, R +5, W +7 | Init +5 | Perc +12

"I just don't have great awareness. After I dropped him I just focused on protecting you, too many people moving for me to really pick one out."


Female Human Fighter(Two-Weapon Warrior) 3/Brawler 4 AC 21, Touch 15, FF 17 | HP 53/53 | F +10, R +9, W +2 | Init +3 | Perc +11

"Oh, you mean you killed the one who stabbed me?" Aoife asked with a raised eyebrow.


Male Human Barbarian (Superstitious) 7 AC 20, Touch 13, FF 18 | HP 105/105 | F +8, R +5, W +5 | Init +5 | Perc +12
Raging Stats:
AC 18, Touch 11, FF 16 | HP 119/119 | F +10, R +5, W +7 | Init +5 | Perc +12

"Uhhh..." Thorun shifts uncomfortably, then stops. "No. I definitely killed one man inside, and we know who that is. So no." He says as if finding it out for the first time himself.


Female Human Fighter(Two-Weapon Warrior) 3/Brawler 4 AC 21, Touch 15, FF 17 | HP 53/53 | F +10, R +9, W +2 | Init +3 | Perc +11

"Hmm, probably not going to get the chance to return the favor now." Aoife said with a sigh. "Either way, thank you Thorun. If it wasn't for you and Ruadhán, I'd be dead." She told him as she offered him a smile. "God sent you back at just the right time it seems."


The infirmary:
Thorun, Aoife and Sister Cobhlaith, along with King Muirchertach and Brother Duffy, find Conchobar resting in the infirmary. The poor boy is still feverish and, while Sister Cobhlaith's miraculous intercessions have undoubtedly saved him from certain death, it remains unsure if he will live another day.

Seeing the boy, Sister Cobhlaith's heart breaks. Whether he lives or dies, Conchobar may never be whole again. She fears that the convulsions that still wrack his body may long endure and that the fever, which has cooled, may leave the boy inept.

He attempts a feeble smile when he sees them arrive.


Female Human Fighter(Two-Weapon Warrior) 3/Brawler 4 AC 21, Touch 15, FF 17 | HP 53/53 | F +10, R +9, W +2 | Init +3 | Perc +11

The Infirmary:
"Conchobar..." Aoife muttered as she moved to his side and knelt beside his bed. She moved some of his hair dotingly as she looked down upon him. She was breaking many rules, but she didn't care.

"You're going to get through this." She told him, speaking softly and almost in a motherly tone. "I'm going to take you back to your brothers, they're missing you Conchobar can't leave them waiting." She felt the side of his face, the heat from him made her shake her head. Worry bloomed in her stomach again, even if they won this battle Conchobar may yet die... then all would be for not.


Male Human Ranger (Skirmisher) 4, Rogue (Waylayer) 1 | HP: 42/55 ( +5 mythic) |AC: 19 (T:14, FF:15) CMB: +7, CMD: 19| F: +5, R: +9, W: +3 | Init: +4(+1 surprise+2 woods) | Perc: +9| Speed 30ft | 2/26 breath

"Muirchertach, am I right in thinking there are two main routes here? I will wait for the scouts to return so that I know which route to lay the ambush on. I will take some archers as well if that is ok Muirchertach, they can double up on the horses to get there quicker."


"They'll be coming across the mountains along the Bredagh river, between Crockavishane and Crockaulin. If you're quick, perhaps you can ambush them between the peeks, before they reach the green plains. After that, they'll be marching either along the river or over the hill where the Bocan Stone Circle stands," Muirchertach explains.

"You'll have your archer," he promises before heading out to the infirmary.


Male CN Bard (Brazen Deceiver) 5 | HP: 56/56 | AC: 18 (14 Tch, 15 Fl) | CMB: +6, CMD: 19 | F: +3, R: +9, W: +4 | Init: +2 | Perc: +3, SM: +6 | Speed 30ft | Bardic Performance: 22/28 | Mythic Power: 1/5 | Spells: 1st 5/6, 2nd 2/5, 3rd 0/2 | Active conditions: 0 Non-lethal Damage.

While the others plan, Daire makes good speed. He has three banners to steady and not a moment to waste.

****************

"Men of Aileach! Ye came to fight for Conchobar. By the hand of the Lord, he lives! If you run now, in his hour of need, it would be shame eternal for you! Stand, fight and be counted among the brave and the loyal!"

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (7) + 14 = 21

****************

"Men of Ferguson! Sitric paid a Judas to slay Conchobar, but assassin and traitor both lost their heads! King Ferguson stays true to his friends. Will you?"

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (18) + 14 = 32

*****************

"Men of Muirchertach! Your lord has pledged to Conchobar, who will live to fight again. But he needs you now. Your land needs you now! Fight, and protect them both!"

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (16) + 14 = 30

******************

God and the Saints willing, that will keep them standing.


Female Human Cleric 5 HP 30/47| AC 10/10/10 | CMB +3| CMD 13| F:4 R:1 W:8 | Init +0| Per +6

Sister Cobhlaith examines Conchobar carefully and recites another prayer.

Heal: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (20) + 11 = 31

"With Conchobar no longer able to lead troops, Do you think the King of Derry could be persuaded to discuss this in a more thoughtful way?

"Surely the brehons could work out the legal logistics of restitution and renewed clan ties."


Ruadhan: do you want to move now and attempt an ambush between the peeks or do you prefer to wait until the scouts return and plan according to the intelligence gathered?

Outside, Daire carefully chosen words are delivered with passion and sincerity, and every single remaining warrior decides to stay and fight. Having witnessed the miracle of Sister Cobhlaith, the men of Inishowen are convinced that God is with them and that they cannot fall...

In the infirmary, Sister Cobhlaith's able hands tend to the patient. "My uncle will want me dead," Conchobar affirms, knowing this to be true even in the haze of his feverish dreams. "And he will want my brothers dead as well. Alive, we threaten his rule."

Muirchertach nods. "There can be no peace now. Either the son of MacLochlain rules or he dies. And he cannot rule if his uncle lives."


Male Human Ranger (Skirmisher) 4, Rogue (Waylayer) 1 | HP: 42/55 ( +5 mythic) |AC: 19 (T:14, FF:15) CMB: +7, CMD: 19| F: +5, R: +9, W: +3 | Init: +4(+1 surprise+2 woods) | Perc: +9| Speed 30ft | 2/26 breath

"Well then if you are sure they will come that way, we will head out straight away, if they come another way, send us a rider and we will hit their rear. If God is with is, we can inflict casualties and fall back. Eoghan still commands your riders does he not? I will find him and get going."
On getting an affirmative, and semingly energised, Ruadhán heads froking m the room checking weapons and bellowing for a horse and Eoghan.
"Eoghan, we have the chance to draw first blood, gather your riders and half as many archers or javelin men, we ride now. The archers can double up and we will change them over regularly so as not to tire the horses."
Once the riders are ready he addresses them before they leave.
"Men of Muirchertach, we have the first chance to draw blood for Conchobar the rightful king, we ride now to bloody the enemies nose and stop them in their tracks. It will be hard, but we are surely on the side of God, so we will succeed. Follow me now.!"


Female Human Fighter(Two-Weapon Warrior) 3/Brawler 4 AC 21, Touch 15, FF 17 | HP 53/53 | F +10, R +9, W +2 | Init +3 | Perc +11

Aoife sighed as she slowly got up. She would have to get use to the small paint from her wound quickly if she was going to survive this. "He won't have you, or your brothers Conchobar. I won't allow it." Aoife said as she crossed her arms. Honestly the statement itself would have been a laughable one coming from a slaves mouth. Yet not this slave. Not after everything she's shown and been through.

"Muirchertach right?" She asked as she looked to him. "You wouldn't happen to know our King's uncle well enough to answer a few questions do you?"


In the infirmary:

"I have known the man for many, many years. He's not much of a warrior, but he certainly has a way with words and he's clever. He was always jealous of his brother's glory – of the love we all had for him. Honestly, I never much liked him."

"He'll be relying on King Donegal – an old friend of Aed O'Neil – as well as on the O’Doherty of Buncrana," Muirchertach continues. "But the O'Doherty hate the O'Neil. And King Donegal has to contend with the O’Donnell who have long opposed his rule in Tyrconnel."

"They'll have the numbers. But we are as one. And God is with us," the king affirms with certitude.

"I hear Ruadhan gathering his men," he interrupts himself. "If you want to ride with him, you'll want to get going."

Outside:

"For Inishowen!" all the warriors shout in unison. The horsemen have gathered and seem eager to go. The younger warriors are convinced that they will be victorious. The older warriors find courage in the promise of glory and the favour of God.

Their fate will be decided soon enough...

I am going to wait and see if some or all of your companions want to participate in the ambush.


Female Human Cleric 5 HP 30/47| AC 10/10/10 | CMB +3| CMD 13| F:4 R:1 W:8 | Init +0| Per +6

Reluctantly, Sister Coblaith turns from Cochonbar's bed.

"I have no desire to participate in slaughtering others, nor even much stomach for watching others be slaughtered.

"But God did not give me these gifts for my comfort. He intends that I use them where they are needed, whether or not I wish to be there.

"Give me a good pony, and an escort, and I will follow you."


Female Human Fighter(Two-Weapon Warrior) 3/Brawler 4 AC 21, Touch 15, FF 17 | HP 53/53 | F +10, R +9, W +2 | Init +3 | Perc +11

"If he knows he doesn't fight well he'll have guards." Aoife sighed. "But if we can press forth and kill him, the war will be over." Aoife pointed out.

"I still need to get changed for battle." She said as she gave another look down at herself before over to Muirchertach. "As soon as I've myself armored and armed I'll go with Ruadhán. I am of more use there than speaking council here. Ruadhán and I work well as a unit. We brought the boys to safty once, I'll see it done again with his help."


The battlefield:

You may or may not all accompany Ruadhan, but here goes in any case. A few rolls to set the stage. Any of you may roll one or all of the checks below:
1) Weather: roll 1d100 three times.
2) Roll 1d20 for luck, which will allow for a luck bonus or penalty to the rolls below (-5 to +5).
3) Knowledge (geography) to find advantageous terrain. The locals among you allow for a +2 circumstantial bonus.
4) Stealth to find concealment and set the stage for an ambush.

You have two units: a small unit of cavalry and a small unit of infantry. Which unit does each one of you want to stand with? Note that each of you will provide a specific advantage to the unit in question.

Also: which unit do you want to command, Ruadhan? And does any of you want to command the other unit, or do you prefer to leave the unit to its own designs?

Finally (to be discussed in the Discussion thread for simplicity): any specific plans or strategies?


Female Human Fighter(Two-Weapon Warrior) 3/Brawler 4 AC 21, Touch 15, FF 17 | HP 53/53 | F +10, R +9, W +2 | Init +3 | Perc +11

Battlefield rolls:

Weather: 1d100 ⇒ 23
Weather: 1d100 ⇒ 11
Weather: 1d100 ⇒ 37

For Luck: 1d20 ⇒ 17 That... just like that I'm fairly sure Aoife will live! Or well... until she does something stupid because Aoife.

Don't have Knowledge Geo. rolled a survival instead incase you rule I can use that.
Survival: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19

Stealth: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10

Aoife is going with the infantry. And I highly suggest that Thorun and Daire go with the cavalry. Mainly because barbarian on horse back sounds terrifying and Ruadhán is likely going with the infantry. Also,
Coblaith, you stay in the back so wounded can be braught to you from both units.


Male Human Ranger (Skirmisher) 4, Rogue (Waylayer) 1 | HP: 42/55 ( +5 mythic) |AC: 19 (T:14, FF:15) CMB: +7, CMD: 19| F: +5, R: +9, W: +3 | Init: +4(+1 surprise+2 woods) | Perc: +9| Speed 30ft | 2/26 breath

Weather: 1d100 ⇒ 52
Weather: 1d100 ⇒ 95
Weather: 1d100 ⇒ 3

Luck: 1d20 ⇒ 15

Know Geog: 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 5 + 2 = 11

Stealth: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (5) + 10 = 15

I doubted that we all needed to roll weather, but did anyway. Not the best rolls for the scout/ambusher! I get a +2 to both Know Geog and Stealth if the area is wooded. Also Ruadhán 's initiative goes up if it is wooded and again if there is a surprise round, (in case that comes up)

As they ride off, Ruadhán rides close to the group and to Eoghan, to allow him to speak to them.

"Right we don't have the numbers for a prolonged fight, so the plan here isn't to win the battle. What we are looking to do is slow them down, and make them approach cautiously. So we want to find a good covered spot overlooking the road and preferably on high ground, the archers will hit them with a few volleys of arrows, javelin and darts, and then run like all hell's demons are chasing them. The cavalry will be waiting further back, and when the infantry or cavalry get close to the archers, they will put in a charge, before pulling back to the newly reformed archer line. If they pursue we keep falling back until our missiles are spent, if they run, we find a new spot and ambush them again. Does that make sense? I don't want any heroic solo charges, in, kill and fall back. I will stand with the archers as it is what I know, but it will take careful timing from whoever leads the cavalry."


Thank you for the battlefield rolls. The checks above will suffice!

Also: Sister Cobhlaith will need to choose a unit to accompany. She cannot stay back and be of any use.

GM:

1d20 ⇒ 15


Male CN Bard (Brazen Deceiver) 5 | HP: 56/56 | AC: 18 (14 Tch, 15 Fl) | CMB: +6, CMD: 19 | F: +3, R: +9, W: +4 | Init: +2 | Perc: +3, SM: +6 | Speed 30ft | Bardic Performance: 22/28 | Mythic Power: 1/5 | Spells: 1st 5/6, 2nd 2/5, 3rd 0/2 | Active conditions: 0 Non-lethal Damage.

Assuming Daire returns in time to hear of Ruadhan's plan

"I would accompany you, Rua. The three banners stand as firmly as they are going to, and I can be quiet when I need to be. I'm also not bad"

If there is a masterwork shortbow and arrows available, Daire will pick that up. Otherwise, he'll stick with his masterwork sling.


Male Human Ranger (Skirmisher) 4, Rogue (Waylayer) 1 | HP: 42/55 ( +5 mythic) |AC: 19 (T:14, FF:15) CMB: +7, CMD: 19| F: +5, R: +9, W: +3 | Init: +4(+1 surprise+2 woods) | Perc: +9| Speed 30ft | 2/26 breath

"Very well Daire, another arm to send missiles will help. That leaves you Thorun old friend. I know you to be able to walk silently, but you would be a force to be reckoned with on the charge. You choose."


Male Human Barbarian (Superstitious) 7 AC 20, Touch 13, FF 18 | HP 105/105 | F +8, R +5, W +5 | Init +5 | Perc +12
Raging Stats:
AC 18, Touch 11, FF 16 | HP 119/119 | F +10, R +5, W +7 | Init +5 | Perc +12

Thorun works best as a champion. Right in the thick of things, leading men directly, shattering enemy lines. He's big, deadly, and terrifying. He draws fear from enemies and courage out of allies. And he's really bloody good at murdering people.


The warriors of Inishowen head out with haste, riding southeast through green fields, hoping to reach the Bredagh river in time. It’s a grey and cloudy day, and the heroes of Largay thank God that the locals know their way as the heavy fog makes visibility poor at best.

The fog will be in our favour when comes the time to withdraw, Ruadhan thinks as he gallops.

They move swiftly and soon they reach the foot of the Crockavishane and Crockaulin mountains. Eoghan raises his hand to halt their advance. ”They’ll be passing near here,” he warns.

Ruadhan shakes his head. No hilltop and if we keep the river on our flank, we’re likely to be easily avoided or, worse, surrounded. No advantageous terrain here.

Aoife points to a rocky outcropping, suggesting that it could be a suitable spot to set an ambush. But the cover is too constraining and the terrain is too difficult. Ruadhan – who grew up not far to the south and is arguably a more experienced outdoorsman and soldier – identifies instead a short slope, which will allow their infantry to hide and withdraw quickly.

The archers take their position while Thorun prepares to leads the cavalry to hide behind a copse of trees…

Do you want to do anything now or do you want to lie in wait?


Female Human Fighter(Two-Weapon Warrior) 3/Brawler 4 AC 21, Touch 15, FF 17 | HP 53/53 | F +10, R +9, W +2 | Init +3 | Perc +11

Aoife had taken the time to remove her own dried blood from her skin and changed into armor provided. While she had to do some quick fixes as the armor was made for a man, it served her well and was what she was use to. From there she turned to her arms, taking her normal shortsword and dagger and adding to them by taking two more daggers, two throwing axes, and if she could get away with it another shortsword. When she found out they would be using bows for the first attack, she grabbed a bow and quiver of arrows as well. Aoife fully planned on returning the items if they survived, or if they where not broken in the possess.

On the way there she keeps oddly quiet. Her mind was racing trying to come to terms with the fact she was about to see open war. Small battles here and there had paved the way for something like this, making it slightly easier to take in but... this was going to be something new either way. Then there was something that Sitric said before he died... about who her family, well her father anyways, supported. It was the other side, the side they would be fighting against no? Would she meet her father in open combat? Or was he somewhere else waging war?

Her face remained stoic as she thought all this over. Like what she would do if her father was here... would she dare confront him?


Male Human Barbarian (Superstitious) 7 AC 20, Touch 13, FF 18 | HP 105/105 | F +8, R +5, W +5 | Init +5 | Perc +12
Raging Stats:
AC 18, Touch 11, FF 16 | HP 119/119 | F +10, R +5, W +7 | Init +5 | Perc +12

As the various cavalrymen start working on their equipment and horses, Thorun rides up to them from atop the hill. He normally cuts an intimidating figure with his massive frame, corded muscled, wild mane, and scar tattoo on his face. But today it's been brought to a new level.

Red and black warpaint covers the exposed parts of the hulking Dane, looking like streaks of dirt and blood. His hair is tied back tightly and his beard in braids with wooden beads holding them in place. His horse, a massive black charger, snorts and shakes his head as if barely kept under control.

Thorun is not a man of words. He doesn't know what to say to have people inspired by ideology or faith or zealotry. But he knows that when men have to fight, they have to fight. And it's better to fight with a bloody-minded reckless abandon. So he spurs his horse to rear up as he roars a challenge, primal and ferocious, piercing the sky with his greataxe. No words, just the ferocity of the man leading the vanguard. And the expectation to match him.

Intimidate: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (20) + 12 = 32

Thorun's trying to inspire the warriors by showing that their leader is a mountain of furious bloodlust, and he wants them to get ready to fight like a Dane.


As the infantry lies in wait, the cavalry is roused by the very presence of Thorun who towers over them like the heroes of old. "Long live Thorun!" they shout, answering his primal roar.

Nearer the foot of the mountains, all is quiet. Deathly quiet. And then, the men of Inishowen and the heroes of Largay hear the footsteps of their enemies approaching in the fog. Steeled by Daire's passionate words, the warriors are ready and morale is high. But there seem to be so many across the fog, and they are so few...

"Wait for it" Ruadhan commands quietly... "NOW!"

The arrows are cast. Their fate is now in the hands of God.

Daire, Aoife, Ruadhan, and Sister Cobhlaith: you may now roll two ranged attacks, if you wish.

Ruadhan: please also roll 1d20+3 twice, once for the initial ambush and then once for a second volley when the battle begins. After that, you must decide if you want to: 1) attempt to withdraw, 2) attempt to withdraw and attempt to fire another volley of arrows, 3) perform a defensive false retreat, or 4) engage in melee.


Amergin the Wise wrote:
...you must decide if you want to: 1) attempt to withdraw, 2) attempt to withdraw and attempt to fire another volley of arrows, 3) perform a defensive false retreat, or 4) engage in melee.

I am going to simplify the list: 1) attempt to withdraw and to fire another volley of arrows, 2) perform a defensive false retreat, or 3) engage in melee.


Female Human Fighter(Two-Weapon Warrior) 3/Brawler 4 AC 21, Touch 15, FF 17 | HP 53/53 | F +10, R +9, W +2 | Init +3 | Perc +11

Aoife took the bow she had been allowed to use and lined up and shot. While her breathing was still short because of her wound, she was able to control it enough.

Attack 1: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19
Damage 1: 1d8 ⇒ 4
Attack 2: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23
Damage 2: 1d8 ⇒ 1


Male Human Ranger (Skirmisher) 4, Rogue (Waylayer) 1 | HP: 42/55 ( +5 mythic) |AC: 19 (T:14, FF:15) CMB: +7, CMD: 19| F: +5, R: +9, W: +3 | Init: +4(+1 surprise+2 woods) | Perc: +9| Speed 30ft | 2/26 breath

Attack 1 shot 1: 1d20 + 6 - 2 ⇒ (4) + 6 - 2 = 8
Dmg 1 shot 1: 1d6 + 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (1) + (1) + 1 = 3

Attack 1 shot 2: 1d20 + 6 - 2 ⇒ (20) + 6 - 2 = 24
Dmg 1 shot 2: 1d6 + 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (3) + (4) + 1 = 8

Attack 2 shot 1: 1d20 + 6 - 2 ⇒ (13) + 6 - 2 = 17
Dmg 2 shot 1: 1d6 + 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (3) + (5) + 1 = 9

Attack 2 shot 2: 1d20 + 6 - 2 ⇒ (6) + 6 - 2 = 10
Dmg 2 shot 2: 1d6 + 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (2) + (6) + 1 = 9

Crit confirmation: 1d20 + 6 - 2 ⇒ (12) + 6 - 2 = 16
Crit dmg: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7

the -2 is for rapid shot, which gives me the extra shots.I'm fairly sure they aren't Arghialla, but if they are I get +2 to hit and damage.

When his nerves can hold no longer and he feels they are in position, Ruadhán looses a flurry of arrows, the speed affects his aim and some are less than accurate, but a couple fly true. "NOW, GIVE THEM HELL"

Roll for Amergin 1: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21
Roll for Amergin 2: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4
Oh dear!
I think withdraw and try to fire again.

"FALL BACK AND GIVE THEM ANOTHER VOLLEY!"


Male CN Bard (Brazen Deceiver) 5 | HP: 56/56 | AC: 18 (14 Tch, 15 Fl) | CMB: +6, CMD: 19 | F: +3, R: +9, W: +4 | Init: +2 | Perc: +3, SM: +6 | Speed 30ft | Bardic Performance: 22/28 | Mythic Power: 1/5 | Spells: 1st 5/6, 2nd 2/5, 3rd 0/2 | Active conditions: 0 Non-lethal Damage.

@Amergin: Can Daire use inspire courage in addition to or instead of a sling attack(s)?


@Daire: absolutely! I'll assume that you do...


GM:

1d20 ⇒ 2
1d20 ⇒ 16
1d20 + 12 ⇒ (3) + 12 = 15 vs1d20 ⇒ 4

The warriors of Inishowen, along with Ruadhan and Aoife, fire a surprise volley of arrows, which strikes true at the heart of the marching infantry.
Derry infantry takes 5 hp damage

After the initial surprise, the enemy is quick to respond. Horns and drums sound loud, confirming that the warriors of Inishowen are very much outnumbered. They fire another volley, but the men of Derry, while disorganized in their efforts to assume a defensive position, have already raised their shields. The enemy's cavalry charges through the fog, albeit cautiously…

Ruadhan – who well knows how to hit an enemy and run for the hills – orders his forces to withdraw, hoping to fire another volley before luring the enemy into the trap. Encouraged by Daire’s inspiring words and by his very presence among them, the warriors fall back quickly and fire another volley.

Aoife, Daire, Ruadhan, and Sister Cobhlaith: you may fire (or act) again! You must decide if you want to target the infantry, which has yet to assume its defensive position, or the charging cavalry.
Ruadhan: the infantry another volley of arrows. You must decide if you want to target the infantry, which has yet to assume its defensive position, or the charging cavalry. Roll 1d20+3!

Ruadhan: you may then (1) withdraw safely or (2) fire another volley of arrows (roll 1d20+3) and risk engaging the cavalry. If you opt for (2), PCs can also fire and you can then (2a) engage in melee (roll 1d20+3), (2b) attempt to withdraw (roll 1d20+10, +2 if Daire continues to inspire the unit) and fire again, or (2c) order a defensive false retreat.


Female Human Fighter(Two-Weapon Warrior) 3/Brawler 4 AC 21, Touch 15, FF 17 | HP 53/53 | F +10, R +9, W +2 | Init +3 | Perc +11

Attack vs Calvary: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9

Sighs, I know the high and low rolls is part of the game but can it be in a better time?

Aoife turned her focus to the calvary, with them having to come up hill and the fog she hoped to trip up the horses and possibly case quite the pile up.

1,801 to 1,850 of 2,901 << first < prev | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Last King of Ireland All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.