The Last King of Ireland

Game Master Amergin the Wise


1,501 to 1,550 of 2,904 << first < prev | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | next > last >>

Male CN Bard (Brazen Deceiver) 5 | HP: 56/56 | AC: 18 (14 Tch, 15 Fl) | CMB: +6, CMD: 19 | F: +3, R: +9, W: +4 | Init: +2 | Perc: +3, SM: +6 | Speed 30ft | Bardic Performance: 22/28 | Mythic Power: 1/5 | Spells: 1st 5/6, 2nd 2/5, 3rd 0/2 | Active conditions: 0 Non-lethal Damage.

Daire keeps quiet during the whole affair. He feels certain that if he had spotted the children, he could have spun them a tale. But the women have done a fine job of mollifying them as far as he can see.


"Safe travels," the eldest bids them goodbye, content with Sister Cobhlaith's explanation and swayed by Aoife's friendliness. The little girl peeks at the warrior and the nun, offers a toothless grin, and runs off. The boys run after her and just like that, the trio is gone.

It is midmorning, and they still have a long way to go... Studying Thorun’s invaluable map, they ascertain that they can either travel near settlements along the north shore of Assaroe lake and then head north up the coast into the majestic Croaghgorms mountains; or they can dredge through wetlands and bogs and avoid the risk of being seen... Between Scylla and Charybdis, the choice is far from evident.


Male CN Bard (Brazen Deceiver) 5 | HP: 56/56 | AC: 18 (14 Tch, 15 Fl) | CMB: +6, CMD: 19 | F: +3, R: +9, W: +4 | Init: +2 | Perc: +3, SM: +6 | Speed 30ft | Bardic Performance: 22/28 | Mythic Power: 1/5 | Spells: 1st 5/6, 2nd 2/5, 3rd 0/2 | Active conditions: 0 Non-lethal Damage.

"Going unseen is worth trudging through a bog. Just about!"


Female Human Fighter(Two-Weapon Warrior) 3/Brawler 4 AC 21, Touch 15, FF 17 | HP 53/53 | F +10, R +9, W +2 | Init +3 | Perc +11

"You know, are any of us really well known enough to care if we're seen?" Aoife asked. "I sure as hell am not." Aoife stated with a shrug. "If we stick to the roads and pass through swiftly we should have a problems." Aoife said.


Female Human Cleric 5 HP 30/47| AC 10/10/10 | CMB +3| CMD 13| F:4 R:1 W:8 | Init +0| Per +6

"I agree; none of us are famous people.

"If we can determine an actual destination that is not our real destination, we may be able to convince people that you folks are simply making sure I get to the monastery. "

She assumes an open attitude and an innocent expression.


Male CN Bard (Brazen Deceiver) 5 | HP: 56/56 | AC: 18 (14 Tch, 15 Fl) | CMB: +6, CMD: 19 | F: +3, R: +9, W: +4 | Init: +2 | Perc: +3, SM: +6 | Speed 30ft | Bardic Performance: 22/28 | Mythic Power: 1/5 | Spells: 1st 5/6, 2nd 2/5, 3rd 0/2 | Active conditions: 0 Non-lethal Damage.

"Fair points, both. But bandits and rogues don't need to know who we are to try for us. Then again, more of us than not look handy in a fight. So the mountains might work out best."


Male Human Ranger (Skirmisher) 4, Rogue (Waylayer) 1 | HP: 42/55 ( +5 mythic) |AC: 19 (T:14, FF:15) CMB: +7, CMD: 19| F: +5, R: +9, W: +3 | Init: +4(+1 surprise+2 woods) | Perc: +9| Speed 30ft | 2/26 breath

"I don't mind a bit of life in the outdoors, but I'm not a fan of the bogs and marshes for too long. I agree let's try the populated route. We may even get somewhere our of the rain to camp from time to time."


GM:

Survival: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17
Encounter: 1d100 ⇒ 95
distance: 2d6 ⇒ (4, 6) = 10 = 100'

Eager to be on their way and wary of the marshes and bogs, they decide to head west along the north shore of Lake Assaroe. Careful to avoid Ballyshannon, they ride into the hill towards the coast, which they reach by midday.

The sun is high when they come upon a small group of riders. Travelling on horseback through rolling hills, it is impossible for either party to go unnoticed. They are a mere hundred feet away.

Knowledge, Geography DC 15:
You are presently in the kingdom of Tyrconnel.
If the roll above is successful, you can roll for the spoilers below.
Knowledge, Nobility DC 15:
Clan Donegal rules Tyrconnel.

Knowledge, Nobility DC 18:
These are the lands of Ri Tuaithe Eigneachan O'Donnel, who owe allegiance to Clan Donegal

Knowledge, Nobility DC 20:
Clan Donegal opposed the High King MacLochlain.

Knowledge, Nobility DC 22:
Through marriage and fosterage, Clan Donegal is allied to clan Donlevy, which was removed from power in Ulaid by High King MacMurrough.

Knowledge, Nobility DC 25:
Clan O'Donnel is the main opposition to the rule of Clan Donegal in Tyrconnel

-
Knowledge, Geography DC 18:
The half dozen riders are likely headed to Kilbarron.
If the roll above is successful, you can roll for the spoiler below.
Knowledge, Nobility DC 20:
Kilbarron is home to clan O'Clery, which swears allegiance to the O'Donnel.
If the roll above is successful, you can roll for the spoiler below.
Knowledge, Local DC 20:
The O'Clery is a clan of bards and historians.

The half dozen men seem to hesitate. They stop, spy upon the newcomers from a distance, and exchange a few words among themselves...

You can take advantage of their momentary hesitation to decide what you want to do!


Male CN Bard (Brazen Deceiver) 5 | HP: 56/56 | AC: 18 (14 Tch, 15 Fl) | CMB: +6, CMD: 19 | F: +3, R: +9, W: +4 | Init: +2 | Perc: +3, SM: +6 | Speed 30ft | Bardic Performance: 22/28 | Mythic Power: 1/5 | Spells: 1st 5/6, 2nd 2/5, 3rd 0/2 | Active conditions: 0 Non-lethal Damage.

Knowledge Geography: 1d20 + 1 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 1 + 5 = 15

Knowledge Nobility: 1d20 + 5 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 + 5 = 23

-

Knowledge Geography: 1d20 + 1 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 1 + 5 = 24

Knowledge Nobility: 1d20 + 5 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 + 5 = 24

Knowledge Local: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20

Daire coughs purposefully, then shouts over in a clear and pleasant voice:

"Hail, travellers to Kilbarron! No foe to Donegal or O'Donnel, we be but passing through to Saint Colmcille's monastery in Doire. Who be ye?"

Diplomacy to soothe fears and tempers: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (15) + 14 = 29


Female Human Cleric 5 HP 30/47| AC 10/10/10 | CMB +3| CMD 13| F:4 R:1 W:8 | Init +0| Per +6

K(geography): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23
K(nobility): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16

K(geography): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23
K(nobility): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14

Cobhlaith knows:

You are presently in the kingdom of Tyrconnel.
Clan Donegal rules Tyrconnel.
The half dozen riders are likely headed to Kilbarron.

Cobhlaith sits on her horse, somewhat in the back-middle of the group, perfectly willing to let herself be seen, but not trying to converse or be part of the discussion at the moment.


"Who be ye!" the leader of the lot exclaims. "We are the O'Clery. These are our lands! Who are you?"

The man is well-spoken and unarmed. His escort suggests that he is of some importance.


Female Human Cleric 5 HP 30/47| AC 10/10/10 | CMB +3| CMD 13| F:4 R:1 W:8 | Init +0| Per +6

Sister Cobhlaith moves forward.
"I am Sister Cobhlaith, and, as my man just said, we are traveling to the monastery of the blessed Comcille in Doire.

"We mean no harm to anyone, and only wish to travel as swiftly as we can through this day. We've already lost some time with bad weather.

"How is the road ahead? Are there any places we should be careful as we proceed?"

Blessed Patrick and all the saints, please help Daire understand I mean no slight to him.


Please roll Bluff. As before, I'll take into account the plausibility of the half-true statement! Also, you can roll Diplomacy, which could help improve your chances of being convincing.


Female Human Fighter(Two-Weapon Warrior) 3/Brawler 4 AC 21, Touch 15, FF 17 | HP 53/53 | F +10, R +9, W +2 | Init +3 | Perc +11

"Either way, we won't be lingering long." Aoife stated as she shifted to full look at this leader. "This road just happened to be the safest path, so we took it." She explained. "We're not here to cause trouble."

Diplomacy aid: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10
Bluff aid: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19

I rolled to aid on both, as Aoife is trying to be diplomatic first but also trying to help suppose the lie.


Sense Motive: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (9) + 12 = 21

Sister Cobhlaith moves forward, and Aoife follows along with the others. Seeing them all, the unarmed man seems unthreatened but unconvinced. Still, he remains a safe distance away. With greying hair and bright eyes, he has the look of a man who is not easily duped.

"Sister Cobhlaith? And this is your escort?" he asks, eyeing Thorun in particular. "Your herald?" he continues with a smile, nodding to Daire who was first to speak. "And this must be your lady-in-waiting?" he finally turns to Aoife.

"Where do you hail from?"


Female Human Fighter(Two-Weapon Warrior) 3/Brawler 4 AC 21, Touch 15, FF 17 | HP 53/53 | F +10, R +9, W +2 | Init +3 | Perc +11

Aoife chuckled as she shrugged her shoulders. "If you'd like to say that." Aoife told him. "As for where we hail from... all over. Thorun is Danish for example." She answered as she shifted just enough for them to see under her cloak at the weapons upon her hips. "I'm welsh on my mother's side. Which is all that matters." Aoife stated, dropping the hint that she is a bastard.


Female Human Cleric 5 HP 30/47| AC 10/10/10 | CMB +3| CMD 13| F:4 R:1 W:8 | Init +0| Per +6

"I was trained at the abbey at Kildare, but more recently have been ordered to travel to Kilmore to help set up a scriptorium there.

"As part of that journey north, I was asked to deliver a package to Father O'Maille at Cavan. I was also entrusted with a message from ArchBishop O'Toole to the Augustinian monastery at Doire after I stopped in Glendalough."

"These people", she waves her arms gracefully, "were asked to ensure my safety along the way."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 7 + 2 = 16


Male Human Barbarian (Superstitious) 7 AC 20, Touch 13, FF 18 | HP 105/105 | F +8, R +5, W +5 | Init +5 | Perc +12
Raging Stats:
AC 18, Touch 11, FF 16 | HP 119/119 | F +10, R +5, W +7 | Init +5 | Perc +12
Amergin the Wise wrote:
"Sister Cobhlaith? And this is your escort?" he asks, eyeing Thorun in particular.

Thorun grunts with a slight nod, very much playing the part of the bodyguard. Partly because they believe it to be true, but also because it's true. His eyes calmly sweeps over the other armed escort present, sharing the dead gaze of men who may have to kill each other at a moment's notice.


"Father O'Maille? I have heard tales of his son. I have heard that he is blessed by God," the man exclaims, his keen eyes studying them all. "Is it true? Have you met him?"


Female Human Fighter(Two-Weapon Warrior) 3/Brawler 4 AC 21, Touch 15, FF 17 | HP 53/53 | F +10, R +9, W +2 | Init +3 | Perc +11

Aoife nodded as she answered. "Yes." It was simple but really she wasn't sure if she should say more than that.


Male CN Bard (Brazen Deceiver) 5 | HP: 56/56 | AC: 18 (14 Tch, 15 Fl) | CMB: +6, CMD: 19 | F: +3, R: +9, W: +4 | Init: +2 | Perc: +3, SM: +6 | Speed 30ft | Bardic Performance: 22/28 | Mythic Power: 1/5 | Spells: 1st 5/6, 2nd 2/5, 3rd 0/2 | Active conditions: 0 Non-lethal Damage.

"Most certainly, good men of the O'Clery. I announced the virtuous Sister, and I have met the blessed O'Maille the younger. As the Sister asks, how is the road ahead? We want no trouble or delay if we can help it!"

Diplomacy to mollify: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (2) + 14 = 16

Bluff to conceal the half that isn't truth: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (5) + 16 = 21


GM:
Knowledge, local: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (15) + 16 = 31

"Praised be," the man crosses himself. "The road ahead is fine, and the weather promises to be fair. However, it would be remiss of me not to offer our hospitality. Would you care to spend the night in Kilbarron and regale us with your stories?"


Female Human Cleric 5 HP 30/47| AC 10/10/10 | CMB +3| CMD 13| F:4 R:1 W:8 | Init +0| Per +6

Sister Cobhlaith looks torn.
"You are most gracious and hospitable. It would be lovely to stay the night, but I fear we would lose the good travel weather should we do so. We have already spent one day and one night in the rain."

She shudders, remembering the misery.

"However, it is but midday. Perhaps Daire could tell a story while we have a bite to eat here by the roadside. You are most welcome to join us."

She looks at the others.
I hope we can get through this without arousing any suspicions. So far so good. But every moment brings another chance to make a mistake.


Male CN Bard (Brazen Deceiver) 5 | HP: 56/56 | AC: 18 (14 Tch, 15 Fl) | CMB: +6, CMD: 19 | F: +3, R: +9, W: +4 | Init: +2 | Perc: +3, SM: +6 | Speed 30ft | Bardic Performance: 22/28 | Mythic Power: 1/5 | Spells: 1st 5/6, 2nd 2/5, 3rd 0/2 | Active conditions: 0 Non-lethal Damage.

Daire speaks up again swiftly.

"Aye, as the good Sister says, we cannot tarry overlong. But a bite to eat and a tale is no harm!"


"A tale or better yet, news from your kingdom? I would love to hear more about Brother O'Maille," the fellow suggests.

"I am Iain O'Clery – a free client of Ri Tuaithe O'Donnel," he introduces himself while dismounting. His men follow suit. "Sister Cobhlaith from Kildare," he continues conversationally, "and...?"


Female Human Cleric 5 HP 30/47| AC 10/10/10 | CMB +3| CMD 13| F:4 R:1 W:8 | Init +0| Per +6

"This is Aoife. That is Daire, this fearsome fellow is Thorun, and that is Ruadhán."
She introduces the party without any identifying information other than their names, pointing to each person as she names them, assuming a slightly haughty look, as if nothing else about them mattered.

"Brother O'Maille ..."
She trails off, looking at Aoife and Thorun for assistance.


Male CN Bard (Brazen Deceiver) 5 | HP: 56/56 | AC: 18 (14 Tch, 15 Fl) | CMB: +6, CMD: 19 | F: +3, R: +9, W: +4 | Init: +2 | Perc: +3, SM: +6 | Speed 30ft | Bardic Performance: 22/28 | Mythic Power: 1/5 | Spells: 1st 5/6, 2nd 2/5, 3rd 0/2 | Active conditions: 0 Non-lethal Damage.

While Cobhlaith speaks, Daire ponders how much about O'Maille should not be spoken of, if any.

Knowledge Nobility: 1d20 + 5 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 + 5 = 24


Female Human Fighter(Two-Weapon Warrior) 3/Brawler 4 AC 21, Touch 15, FF 17 | HP 53/53 | F +10, R +9, W +2 | Init +3 | Perc +11

"Is a good man." Aoife said, finishing Cobhlaith sentence, as she set up and area to cook and give people their lunch. "Very devout, kind and always willing to help." She told them as she set up a small fire. However she had been distracted with talking to the new group and had to try it all over again. She knelt down this time and focus more upon the task before settling back on her heels and looking at them once more.

"He, even with his youth, is very wise and willing to listen to all sides before taking one. But you wish to know about his abilities don't you?" Aoife asked with a raised eyebrow. "He can mend wounds, I've seen him do it and he has even healed my own wounds."


Daire McKiernan:
Brother O'Maille being loyal to the McGovern clan, any association with him implies, at the very least, some association to the kingdom of Largay and, consequently, to Breifne. Along with Connaught, Breifne long contested the rule of High King McLochlain, so likely there are more than a few in this region who lost their lives fighting your kinsmen.

Also, keep in mind that the separation of the kingdom between the McLochlain and the O'Neil – which was imposed by Connaught, Breifne, Airghialla, and their allies – may not be unanimously popular.

"You know him well, then? Were you with him at Boho?" he asks, keenly interested.


Male Human Ranger (Skirmisher) 4, Rogue (Waylayer) 1 | HP: 42/55 ( +5 mythic) |AC: 19 (T:14, FF:15) CMB: +7, CMD: 19| F: +5, R: +9, W: +3 | Init: +4(+1 surprise+2 woods) | Perc: +9| Speed 30ft | 2/26 breath

Having kept quiet until now, Ruadhán pipes up from his position to one side. Although, apparently leaning against a tree, picking his nails with the end of one of his darts, there is something about him that looks like a cat coiled and ready to spring.
"I was there, although I don't know him well. I never thought to see a king go crazy and break his honour for a shard of old wood. I never thought to have to see a son have to put down his rabid father and king. And I certainly never expected to see a man cure wounds without even having to lay on his hands. Brother O'Maille worked miracles that day and many on both sides would be worm food if it wasn't for him. That man is truly filled with the Holy Spirit."
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22

Sorry to have been a little quiet


Female Human Fighter(Two-Weapon Warrior) 3/Brawler 4 AC 21, Touch 15, FF 17 | HP 53/53 | F +10, R +9, W +2 | Init +3 | Perc +11

"I do know him well yes." Aoife said with a nod. "I was also there in Boho. I fought alongside Brother O'Maille, Thorun, Ruadhán, and Nial, now known as King Nial. A good man as well, can change much if he holds true to his ideals." She said as she went about making some lunch for those here. "I do agree that Brother O'Maille has been touched by god." Aoife said, which some would see as a shock. Though none that would know that where present.


Female Human Cleric 5 HP 30/47| AC 10/10/10 | CMB +3| CMD 13| F:4 R:1 W:8 | Init +0| Per +6

Sister Cobhlaith dismounts and joins Aoife at the fire.
"God must have blessed him, indeed"

She turns to Iain.
"Are there many godly people here in your holdings? Is your priest well respected?"

She fingers her Paternoster beads in an obvious way, with a sharp click as each one slides down the leather lacing, making certain that her status as a nun is on everyone's mind.


Male CN Bard (Brazen Deceiver) 5 | HP: 56/56 | AC: 18 (14 Tch, 15 Fl) | CMB: +6, CMD: 19 | F: +3, R: +9, W: +4 | Init: +2 | Perc: +3, SM: +6 | Speed 30ft | Bardic Performance: 22/28 | Mythic Power: 1/5 | Spells: 1st 5/6, 2nd 2/5, 3rd 0/2 | Active conditions: 0 Non-lethal Damage.

Daire seems to choose his moment to speak again carefully.


"What happened in Boho was tragic," Iain agrees with Ruadhan. "And while our priests are good and pious, there is none among them so blessed by God as to perform miracles."

While he speaks, he removes a sack from his saddle. Inside, there is bread, onions, apples, cured salmon, and even honey – a veritable feast, which Iain gladly shares with them all.

"A word of advice if you are going to Doire: go discreetly. With the kingdom now divided, there are many who could see profit in knowing the secrets of ArchBishop O'Toole – especially when he is exercising his influence so far from Glendalough and Dublin."

"And with such an illustrious escort, some could imagine that you have other plans entirely," he warns with a smile.


Female Human Cleric 5 HP 30/47| AC 10/10/10 | CMB +3| CMD 13| F:4 R:1 W:8 | Init +0| Per +6

Thanks be to all the saints in Ireland. Cobhlaith tries to disguise her sigh of relief.
"You are most generous! Thank you for the supplies and for the advice.

"God bless your friends and families, and may this fine May weather bring abundant harvests in the fall."

After helping Aoife put out the fire and disburse the embers, she mounts her horse again, anxious to take advantage of the pleasant afternoon for traveling.


Female Human Fighter(Two-Weapon Warrior) 3/Brawler 4 AC 21, Touch 15, FF 17 | HP 53/53 | F +10, R +9, W +2 | Init +3 | Perc +11

"Illustrious escort?" Aoife asked as she raised an eyebrow. "If I may, just what have you heard about those here?" She questioned as her allies mounted their horses.


Female Human Cleric 5 HP 30/47| AC 10/10/10 | CMB +3| CMD 13| F:4 R:1 W:8 | Init +0| Per +6

Coblaith seems very focused on her horse's bridle and reins, as if she's not paying attention to the chatter around her.

Well, we almost got away without an incident.
She holds her breath to hear the O'Clery's response.


Male Human Barbarian (Superstitious) 7 AC 20, Touch 13, FF 18 | HP 105/105 | F +8, R +5, W +5 | Init +5 | Perc +12
Raging Stats:
AC 18, Touch 11, FF 16 | HP 119/119 | F +10, R +5, W +7 | Init +5 | Perc +12

"He is a man of ideals. He would not change, even under the edge of blade." Thorun muses to nobody in particular. As the food breaks out Thorun gives a grunt - one of his happy grunts, which has a slightly different inflection than his annoyed grunt and angry grunt. At the mention of illustrious escort, Thorun shrugs. "Dangerous times are good times for violent men to make money. A smart violent man might even choose to not take place in the fighting directly and instead choose to protect people traveling, maybe even making money without drawing his sword. He might even get free meals while he's doing it." Thorun says with a deep chuckle.


"Fair enough," Iain concedes with a gracious smile when Thorun intercedes. Then, he turns to Aoife: "News of the Battle of Boho came quickly. And while rumours tend to transform tales, I am fairly certain that none of the important details were omitted. Assuredly, Brother O'Maille was not alone in Boho and I am fairly certain that some of you were at the holy man's side."

"I forgive your subterfuge," he reassures Sister Cobhlaith, "but I would not assume to go unnoticed in these lands if I were you. And if you are recognized, then people will wonder why warriors of Largay are so far from home... I must admit that I myself am curious but I will respect your privacy and not insist on discovering your secrets."

"One more thing. You may find that not all my kinsmen will so readily accept being spoken to by a slave," he warns.

Knowledge, Local DC 10:
When travelling, it is customary and right to properly introduce any and all freemen and nobles. Even the lowliest freeman comes from somewhere and can name a clan and king. Those who are not introduced will likely be assumed to be slaves.

Note that high-quality slave-warriors did exist, as far as I can tell. However, they were rare and I would assume quite remarkable.

Long story short, if the plan is to travel as Sister Cobhlaith's escort, you still all will need to introduce yourselves or act the part of a slave.

I invite discussion on the topic in the Discussion thread.


Female Human Fighter(Two-Weapon Warrior) 3/Brawler 4 AC 21, Touch 15, FF 17 | HP 53/53 | F +10, R +9, W +2 | Init +3 | Perc +11

"Yes Well, if the Sister keeps introducing me then they won't have reason to believe I am a slave will they?" Aoife asked with a small smirk. Though it was quickly gone. "However, you are correct. Shouldn't risk it too often." She said before she looked to Sister Cobhlaith. "Either way it is best from now on the you introduce me as your handmaiden or slave-guard. If you introduce me at all. Though do remember it will limit my ability to help you, yet I will still attempt if I feel it is needed." Aoife explained as she moved to get on her own horse.

She pulled the hood of her cloak up to cover her hair and face. "Thank you for your help. And for not being as... close minded as some of your kin." Aoife said with a grin half hidden by her hood.


Female Human Cleric 5 HP 30/47| AC 10/10/10 | CMB +3| CMD 13| F:4 R:1 W:8 | Init +0| Per +6

"Right. You're going to have to be my guard, I think."

She looks Aoife up and down.
"Way too much cutlery hanging off of you otherwise. And from what I can see, you're not much of the meek, mealy-mouthed type anyway. You'd never last very long as a lady's maid."

Sister Cobhlaith gives Aoife a conspiratorial smile.
"I think we're going to be a good team."

K(local): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17

Cobhlaith knows:

When travelling, it is customary and right to properly introduce any and all freemen and nobles. Even the lowliest freeman comes from somewhere and can name a clan and king. Those who are not introduced will likely be assumed to be slaves.

High-quality slave-warriors did exist,however, they were rare and quite remarkable.

If the plan is to travel as Sister Cobhlaith's escort, you still all will need to introduce yourselves or act the part of a slave.


Female Human Fighter(Two-Weapon Warrior) 3/Brawler 4 AC 21, Touch 15, FF 17 | HP 53/53 | F +10, R +9, W +2 | Init +3 | Perc +11

Aoife chuckled a little when the Sister said she wouldn't last long as a Lady's maid. "Thank God for small miracles."

Though she returned a grin to Cobhlaith conspiratorial smile. "But of course!" She agreed. "We're the only ones who have our heads on on shoulders." Aoife said jokingly with a wink.


Female Human Cleric 5 HP 30/47| AC 10/10/10 | CMB +3| CMD 13| F:4 R:1 W:8 | Init +0| Per +6

Cobhlaith turns to the men.
"You lot are a different story though.
"Any suggestions about how we can avoid a catastrophe like we almost had there?"


Male Human Ranger (Skirmisher) 4, Rogue (Waylayer) 1 | HP: 42/55 ( +5 mythic) |AC: 19 (T:14, FF:15) CMB: +7, CMD: 19| F: +5, R: +9, W: +3 | Init: +4(+1 surprise+2 woods) | Perc: +9| Speed 30ft | 2/26 breath

Knowledge local: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22

With a wink and a grin at Aoife, Ruadhán pipes up. "Does that mean Aoife will have to keep her mouth shut and we might all get some peace and quiet!" as he speaks, he pushes himself away from the tree he was leaning against and the dart in his hands returns to its usual grip. Stepping forward he offers his hand on the grip of warriors. "Iain O'Clery, you have done us a good turn today and I would thank you for the advice, is there anything we can bring back this way that might be of interest to you, any message that we may carry to save you a journey?"


Male CN Bard (Brazen Deceiver) 5 | HP: 56/56 | AC: 18 (14 Tch, 15 Fl) | CMB: +6, CMD: 19 | F: +3, R: +9, W: +4 | Init: +2 | Perc: +3, SM: +6 | Speed 30ft | Bardic Performance: 22/28 | Mythic Power: 1/5 | Spells: 1st 5/6, 2nd 2/5, 3rd 0/2 | Active conditions: 0 Non-lethal Damage.

"Aye, we would do you a good turn!"


"The meal and the advice were both free," Iain insist with a smile. "But do pay us a visit in Kilbarron when you return south. I am sure that you will have many more interesting tales to tell."

With that, they exchange pleasantries and go on their way.

Ecounter: 1d100 ⇒ 56
Survival: 1d20 + 8 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 8 + 2 = 19

They make their way north, avoiding the smaller settlements near the coast and staying well away from Donegal – the home of King Donegal of Tyrconnel. These are the lands to which Saint-Patrick himself returned centuries ago. These are the lands of the first Christians in Ireland. This is where the light of God first shined...

They go further into the hills near Lough Eske, avoid the bogs to the East, and arrive at the foot of the Croaghgorm mountains with the setting sun. The steep slope promises a hard match on the morrow.

End of day 3. At this point, you can still decide to go through the bogs...


Male Human Ranger (Skirmisher) 4, Rogue (Waylayer) 1 | HP: 42/55 ( +5 mythic) |AC: 19 (T:14, FF:15) CMB: +7, CMD: 19| F: +5, R: +9, W: +3 | Init: +4(+1 surprise+2 woods) | Perc: +9| Speed 30ft | 2/26 breath

As they reach a good spot for setting up camp for the night, Ruadhán uses the last of the light to scout the immediate area and collect firewood.
Survival: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28

Now I get a 20!


Male CN Bard (Brazen Deceiver) 5 | HP: 56/56 | AC: 18 (14 Tch, 15 Fl) | CMB: +6, CMD: 19 | F: +3, R: +9, W: +4 | Init: +2 | Perc: +3, SM: +6 | Speed 30ft | Bardic Performance: 22/28 | Mythic Power: 1/5 | Spells: 1st 5/6, 2nd 2/5, 3rd 0/2 | Active conditions: 0 Non-lethal Damage.

Daire looks east and says:

"You know what? I am glad that we have dodged the bogs!"


Female Human Cleric 5 HP 30/47| AC 10/10/10 | CMB +3| CMD 13| F:4 R:1 W:8 | Init +0| Per +6

"Do you really think the bogs are less dangerous than being found out as Largay supporters?"

Sister Cobhlaith frowns.

"What believable story can we tell when we next meet hostile warriors? We were lucky this time, but I don't think we can count on that luck in the future.

"I don't want to face the next set of inquisitors without having answers that any of us can provide and that are true, if not necessarily the complete truth. "

She looks at Aoife's distinctive cloak with a wary eye. "And that cloak. It gave us away this time. "


Female Human Fighter(Two-Weapon Warrior) 3/Brawler 4 AC 21, Touch 15, FF 17 | HP 53/53 | F +10, R +9, W +2 | Init +3 | Perc +11

"Bogs have their own trouble." Aoife said simply. "At least I know my sword will go through people, can't say we'd make it through a bog."

Though she raised an eyebrow to the Sister. "He said nothing about my cloak, you sure it wasn't because three of us here share names with three of those being talked about?"

1,501 to 1,550 of 2,904 << first < prev | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Last King of Ireland All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.