The Last King of Ireland

Game Master Amergin the Wise


1,451 to 1,500 of 2,904 << first < prev | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | next > last >>

Male Human Ranger (Skirmisher) 4, Rogue (Waylayer) 1 | HP: 42/55 ( +5 mythic) |AC: 19 (T:14, FF:15) CMB: +7, CMD: 19| F: +5, R: +9, W: +3 | Init: +4(+1 surprise+2 woods) | Perc: +9| Speed 30ft | 2/26 breath

"Alright, let's get moving before people wake up. Thorun, are you coming?"
Stripping off his backpack and taking only his knives, Ruadhán slips into the water and heads out across the water.


Female Human Cleric 5 HP 30/47| AC 10/10/10 | CMB +3| CMD 13| F:4 R:1 W:8 | Init +0| Per +6

Sister Cobhlaith eyes her feet, clad in traveling boots, then removes the boots and ties them securely to her horse.

She wades into the water, looking at Thorun for assistance.
"surely it is faster to just swim across with Ruadhan?"


Male Human Barbarian (Superstitious) 7 AC 20, Touch 13, FF 18 | HP 105/105 | F +8, R +5, W +5 | Init +5 | Perc +12
Raging Stats:
AC 18, Touch 11, FF 16 | HP 119/119 | F +10, R +5, W +7 | Init +5 | Perc +12

"Aye, let's go steal us a boat." Thorun wades into the water.

Can we take 10 on this check?


I am going to adjudicate that even in calm waters such as these, swimming across a river is risky and therefore requires a swim check. Moving at half your speed, swimming across the 60' river will take 4 rounds, which means 4 rolls. If you decide to swim upstream to avoid being carried downstream, the crossing would require up to 8 rounds.

As Cobhlaith wades into the water, she begins to doubt herself. The other shore seems suddenly quite far and, when her undergown clings heavily to her body, she realizes that the crossing would allow for very little modesty...

Thorun and Ruadhan undress and, taking with them only sheathed knives tied around their waists, dive in.

Aoife, are you going with them? Either way, it's time for those who are swimming across to roll four (or more?) swim checks!

PS: with regards to the horses, my assumption is that the strong swimmers would have to lead them across. Disclaimer: I know very little about horses!


Female Human Fighter(Two-Weapon Warrior) 3/Brawler 4 AC 21, Touch 15, FF 17 | HP 53/53 | F +10, R +9, W +2 | Init +3 | Perc +11

"Trust me sister, just let them do their job." Aoife said to Cobhlaith. "The church doesn't teach you to swim, so I'd just wait over here till they bring the boat back. Unless you are a strong swimmer you'll only be a hindrance to them." Aoife told her bluntly.

Horses actually can swim! And no, she's waiting with the horses.


Female Human Cleric 5 HP 30/47| AC 10/10/10 | CMB +3| CMD 13| F:4 R:1 W:8 | Init +0| Per +6

Sister Cobhlaith feels the current tugging at her legs as she wades tentatively into the water. Then it grabs at the bottom of her gown and starts to pull more strongly.

This is not a good idea!

She turns as Aoife speaks, and with wide eyes, nods solemnly.

"You're right. Swimming was not in the lessons that I studied. I've heard sailors say that it's better not to know how to swim, so you'll drown faster and not prolong your agony.

"But not today. I'm waiting here, as you suggest."


Female Human Fighter(Two-Weapon Warrior) 3/Brawler 4 AC 21, Touch 15, FF 17 | HP 53/53 | F +10, R +9, W +2 | Init +3 | Perc +11

Aoife gave a small chuckle at the sister's words. "Trust me when I say, don't worry if you can't do something. We'll cover what you can't do. We've always do our best to bring you back alive." Aoife said.


Male Human Ranger (Skirmisher) 4, Rogue (Waylayer) 1 | HP: 42/55 ( +5 mythic) |AC: 19 (T:14, FF:15) CMB: +7, CMD: 19| F: +5, R: +9, W: +3 | Init: +4(+1 surprise+2 woods) | Perc: +9| Speed 30ft | 2/26 breath

If memory serves, (that and watching too many old westerns!) Horses are actually really good swimmers. I seem to remember, one of the Gaulish tribes employed by the Romans swam across with horses to outflank the defending Britons, also it was common practice in the 'wild west' to just ride your horse across rivers.
Also I hope people didn't mind Ruadhán just cracking on, I want to make him a bit more decisive and didn't want to lose momentum.

Swim 1: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18
Swim 2: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16
Swim 3: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10
Swim 4: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20
Swim 5: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22
Swim 6: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9
Swim 7: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23
Swim 8: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23
Swim 9: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12

Assuming these are calm waters, otherwise can make some more rolls

Slipping into the water, Ruadhán strikes out for the other side, a couple of sections of river catch him with tricky currents, slowing his progress before he makes the other side. Dragging himself out he takes a moment or two to catch his breath and see how Thorun is doing.


Male CN Bard (Brazen Deceiver) 5 | HP: 56/56 | AC: 18 (14 Tch, 15 Fl) | CMB: +6, CMD: 19 | F: +3, R: +9, W: +4 | Init: +2 | Perc: +3, SM: +6 | Speed 30ft | Bardic Performance: 22/28 | Mythic Power: 1/5 | Spells: 1st 5/6, 2nd 2/5, 3rd 0/2 | Active conditions: 0 Non-lethal Damage.

Daire keeps quiet and keeps his ears open for trouble.

No need to make more noise just yet.

Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17


Male Human Barbarian (Superstitious) 7 AC 20, Touch 13, FF 18 | HP 105/105 | F +8, R +5, W +5 | Init +5 | Perc +12
Raging Stats:
AC 18, Touch 11, FF 16 | HP 119/119 | F +10, R +5, W +7 | Init +5 | Perc +12

Horses are able to swim and don't have any particular aversion to water, although as animals they naturally take the path of least resistance which is seldom crossing water. So basically they have to be led, but they don't have issue with it.

"Don't all cross at once, cross in pairs with the strong swimmers watching in case somebody gets caught up in the current." Thorun goes to lead one of the horses across.

Note that Thorun when not wearing armor has a movespeed of 40, so he should be able to cross faster than normal.

Swim: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12
Swim: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9
Swim: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17
Swim: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23
Swim: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14
Swim: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18
Swim: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9
Swim: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11


GM:

1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6 no progress
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13 no progress
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5 no progress, go underwater
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5 no progress, go underwater
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16 no progress, swim back to the surface
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5 no progress, go underwater
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23 no progress, swim back to the surface
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13 progress
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 41d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25 no progress, go underwater
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 71d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14 no progress
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 131d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27 no progress, swim back to the surface
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 91d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21 no progress
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 41d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17 no progress, go underwater
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 231d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15 no progress, swim back to the surface
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 141d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9 no progress
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 41d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21 no progress, go underwater
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 61d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16 no progress
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 201d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18 no progress, swim back to the surface
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 61d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10 no progress
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 71d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13 no progress
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 221d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9 no progress
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 41d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16 no progress, go underwater
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 231d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12 no progress, swim back to the surface
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 141d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17 progress
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 71d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15 no progress
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 61d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23 no progress
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 181d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17 progress

While Ruadhan swims easily to the other shore, Thorun has trouble leading the nervous horse across. What should have taken seconds takes interminable minutes as Thorun struggles to keep the horse afloat. Again and again, the horse goes under, and again and again, Thorun, ever stubborn and steadfast, leads it back to the surface.

Finally, exhausted, Thorun reaches the northern shore of the river Erne.

That took 27 rounds! Thank goodness I didn't decide that the river was fast flowing! Very odd and unaverage set of rolls, if you ask me...


Female Human Cleric 5 HP 30/47| AC 10/10/10 | CMB +3| CMD 13| F:4 R:1 W:8 | Init +0| Per +6

Sister Cobhlaith sits back near Daire, somewhat out of sight, but still in her long linen gown, waiting patiently for help in crossing the river.


Male CN Bard (Brazen Deceiver) 5 | HP: 56/56 | AC: 18 (14 Tch, 15 Fl) | CMB: +6, CMD: 19 | F: +3, R: +9, W: +4 | Init: +2 | Perc: +3, SM: +6 | Speed 30ft | Bardic Performance: 22/28 | Mythic Power: 1/5 | Spells: 1st 5/6, 2nd 2/5, 3rd 0/2 | Active conditions: 0 Non-lethal Damage.

Daire, to pass the time, chats with Cobhlaith.

"So Sister, what did inspire you to take the vows?"


Male Human Barbarian (Superstitious) 7 AC 20, Touch 13, FF 18 | HP 105/105 | F +8, R +5, W +5 | Init +5 | Perc +12
Raging Stats:
AC 18, Touch 11, FF 16 | HP 119/119 | F +10, R +5, W +7 | Init +5 | Perc +12

"Bloody beast! Bahh!" Thorun ropes off the horse with a snear and goes back to continue getting everybody across.

Thorun will ferry people across one at a time, along with Ruadhan. Feel free to make as many swim rolls as necessary, here are some to get it started.

Swim: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13
Swim: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27
Swim: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9
Swim: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25
Swim: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14
Swim: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10
Swim: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27
Swim: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12
Swim: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28


I will have to look into a better system for crossing rivers! Rolemaster had it right. Does anybody have any ideas? To be discussed in the Discussion thread. For the time being, I'll simplify and make it one roll for each crossing.

GM:

1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10

Frustrated, Thorun prepares himself to cross anew... Ruadhan ties a rope to the horse and hands his companion the other end. Thorun of course understands. With the rope tied around his waist, he swims across quickly.

He ties the rope around Sister Cobhlaith who, rather than attempting to swim, allows herself to be pulled across by her old friend. They make it back across safely and then Thorun swims back across to safely ferry Daire across.

Finally, he crosses one last time to then swim back together with Aoife and the horse in tow.

Luck roll: 1d20 ⇒ 2 Well, that's not very lucky!


Female Human Cleric 5 HP 30/47| AC 10/10/10 | CMB +3| CMD 13| F:4 R:1 W:8 | Init +0| Per +6

With a sigh of relief, Sister Cobhlaith squeezes the water out of her linen shift, and unpacks her black gown, cloak, and veil. Turning away from the shore, she dresses quickly, She fingers her Paternoster beads with a quick prayer and then turns back to the rest of the party.

"Many thanks to you, Thorun, for bringing me across. Aoife was right, it was better to wait. I hope we don't have any more big rivers to cross."

Leaving her shoes in the pack, and her feet bare, she gives a handful of grass to her mount. "We made it."

She sits on a large rock, waiting for everyone else to sort themselves out and remount.

To Daire she says, "The BOOKS! Do you know how many books there are in monasteries? And they all have so much knowledge!!

She smiles mischievously.
"How else was I going to be allowed to read all those books?"

As she speaks with Daire, she looks around, still worried that someone might have seen or heard their crossing.
Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18


Male Human Ranger (Skirmisher) 4, Rogue (Waylayer) 1 | HP: 42/55 ( +5 mythic) |AC: 19 (T:14, FF:15) CMB: +7, CMD: 19| F: +5, R: +9, W: +3 | Init: +4(+1 surprise+2 woods) | Perc: +9| Speed 30ft | 2/26 breath

I thought we were off to steal a boat too, but this works!
Collecting his equipment from it's place strapped to his horse, Ruadhán hopes that the bowstring and flights will dry out before they are needed, and stashes them as best he can to dry. Feeling more comfortable with his shield and darts back in hand, he scans around to make sure they haven't been found yet and to find the route onwards.
Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23
Survival: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18
"Right, are we happy that the is the way? Then let's get going. If the situation is as you suggested before, then we need to move quickly and quietly away from here."


Female Human Fighter(Two-Weapon Warrior) 3/Brawler 4 AC 21, Touch 15, FF 17 | HP 53/53 | F +10, R +9, W +2 | Init +3 | Perc +11

"Ask?" Aoife questioned as she looked to Cobhlaith. Then she made sure all of their food and such was alright in the saddle bags.

"Now, if all of you are alright, let us get moving. If we waist another day I might just drag us all through enemy territory because at least then there would be a road!" Aoife told them.


Female Human Cleric 5 HP 30/47| AC 10/10/10 | CMB +3| CMD 13| F:4 R:1 W:8 | Init +0| Per +6

Sister Cobhlaith grimaces.

"Asking is likely to get you sent back to your spinning" she says.

"Even as a religious, I'm often turned away because I'm not a man. When I was younger, there was not so much pressure, but these days, there seems to be less acceptance of women as scholars."

The reforms are needed, but why do they have to be accompanied with so much hostility towards women as the source of sin? Thank goodness it is not so bad here as it is in other lands.


Female Human Fighter(Two-Weapon Warrior) 3/Brawler 4 AC 21, Touch 15, FF 17 | HP 53/53 | F +10, R +9, W +2 | Init +3 | Perc +11

"I find when you learn how to use a blade that goes away." Aoife said with a slightly sarcastic tone. Oddly enough the fact she was a woman who could handle a blade had yet to come up in anything she did... though that might have been because she was fighting those who might complain.

"Was there ever acceptance?" Aoife asked as she mounted her horse. "Men can't handle it when a woman can do something better than them. Or well most men. Thorun and Ruadhán haven't complained to me when I do something better than them. I actually think Ruadhán was impressed with my hunting skills."


Female Human Cleric 5 HP 30/47| AC 10/10/10 | CMB +3| CMD 13| F:4 R:1 W:8 | Init +0| Per +6

"Oh yes, think of the Blessed Brigid at Kildare. It has not always been this way."


Male CN Bard (Brazen Deceiver) 5 | HP: 56/56 | AC: 18 (14 Tch, 15 Fl) | CMB: +6, CMD: 19 | F: +3, R: +9, W: +4 | Init: +2 | Perc: +3, SM: +6 | Speed 30ft | Bardic Performance: 22/28 | Mythic Power: 1/5 | Spells: 1st 5/6, 2nd 2/5, 3rd 0/2 | Active conditions: 0 Non-lethal Damage.

"A woman of letters? An all-too rare breed! I find they make for more intriguing company.", Daire says with a grin.

With a somewhat more serious expression, he continues:

"When we have a little time and are in somewhere drier, to keep the devil from our idle hands, I have a tome that you might find a fine read. And I would look over that fine bible of yours."

*************

Once across the river:

"Thanks be to God and good swimmers!"

While looking around for witnesses to their crossing:

Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6

"Talent is talent, given by God and left wherever He wills it. Be in the shell of man - or woman. Just make sure you use it, or He will not be happy!"


Female Human Cleric 5 HP 30/47| AC 10/10/10 | CMB +3| CMD 13| F:4 R:1 W:8 | Init +0| Per +6

"A book? Oh, I'd love to see it! And of course you can take a look at the Bible. I'm St. Fethlimidh's Church in Kilmore. I've been asked to help start a scriptorium there."
But somehow I've gotten myself caught up in this rescue. But I should end up back in Cavan with at the end.


Male CN Bard (Brazen Deceiver) 5 | HP: 56/56 | AC: 18 (14 Tch, 15 Fl) | CMB: +6, CMD: 19 | F: +3, R: +9, W: +4 | Init: +2 | Perc: +3, SM: +6 | Speed 30ft | Bardic Performance: 22/28 | Mythic Power: 1/5 | Spells: 1st 5/6, 2nd 2/5, 3rd 0/2 | Active conditions: 0 Non-lethal Damage.

"Most excellent! It is a comprehensive work of genealogy of the noble houses. Very comprehensive. I will ask how a scholar ended up on this little trip north."


As they dry themselves and prepare to embark on the next leg of their journey, yesterday's ordeal seems already far away. Surely, these tests are occasions to forge bonds that will matter later, when swords are drawn...

Ruadhan and Cobhlaith:
You notice three kids – two teenaged boys and a young girl – spying on you from behind boulders, no far away.
2d10 ⇒ (3, 1) = 4 = 40' away


Female Human Cleric 5 HP 30/47| AC 10/10/10 | CMB +3| CMD 13| F:4 R:1 W:8 | Init +0| Per +6

Aoife:

Sister Cobhlaith moves slowly next to Aoife and quietly whispers.
"Don't look, but there are three children right over there. The boys look older, but there's a little girl as well. Shall we split around the boulders and walk over there together as if we were looking for a place to relieve ourselves?
"I think we may be able to persuade the little girl that we are not fearsome."

"Aoife, before we mount, I need to find a spot for necessary business. Would you come with me?"


Female Human Fighter(Two-Weapon Warrior) 3/Brawler 4 AC 21, Touch 15, FF 17 | HP 53/53 | F +10, R +9, W +2 | Init +3 | Perc +11

Cobhlaith:
Aoife didn't look, she knew if she did it would let them know they knew. "Sure, but be ready to grab them if they run." She warned.

"Of course, after all I'm kinda the only one who can." Aoife said as she motioned for Cobhlaith to lead the way.


Would one of the ladies care to roll a Bluff skill check?


Male Human Ranger (Skirmisher) 4, Rogue (Waylayer) 1 | HP: 42/55 ( +5 mythic) |AC: 19 (T:14, FF:15) CMB: +7, CMD: 19| F: +5, R: +9, W: +3 | Init: +4(+1 surprise+2 woods) | Perc: +9| Speed 30ft | 2/26 breath

Sense motive: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19

If I know they are bluffing:
Realising the ladies are aware of the watchers Ruadhán carries on preparing his horse. "Come on guys, let us leave the ladies to their ablutions. Ladies, give us a minute to get out of sight, and yell if you need us, although no childlike squeals please.". Once out of sight Ruadhán will explain to the others and circle round to block any escape routes.

If I fail to notice they are bluffing:
Briefly, a puzzled expression crosses Ruadhán's face as he tries to figure out how to proceed. Decision made he steps up to the ladies and tries to usher them away from the watchers, "May I suggest you head in that direction for your ablutions, it is a little less overlooked. Plus I think I may have seen some young rabbits good for the pot, and I wouldn't want to stumble upon you."


Female Human Cleric 5 HP 30/47| AC 10/10/10 | CMB +3| CMD 13| F:4 R:1 W:8 | Init +0| Per +6

Bluff: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6


Female Human Fighter(Two-Weapon Warrior) 3/Brawler 4 AC 21, Touch 15, FF 17 | HP 53/53 | F +10, R +9, W +2 | Init +3 | Perc +11

You know I told myself I was going to put a point in bluff.. yet I didn't.

Bluff: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20

.... GM do you think this game is just saying I should have made a charisma character? XD


I think that Aoife won't have a choice, at this point!

Cobhlaith's suggestion seems unbelievable under the circumstances, but nevertheless, Aoife proves so convincing that Ruadhan himself is confused. He points away from the kids, inviting the ladies to head in that direction.

Then, he sees both Cobhlaith's uncertainty and Aoife's nod, and he understands that they too noticed the spies.

Direction? Plan? Stealth rolls?


Male CN Bard (Brazen Deceiver) 5 | HP: 56/56 | AC: 18 (14 Tch, 15 Fl) | CMB: +6, CMD: 19 | F: +3, R: +9, W: +4 | Init: +2 | Perc: +3, SM: +6 | Speed 30ft | Bardic Performance: 22/28 | Mythic Power: 1/5 | Spells: 1st 5/6, 2nd 2/5, 3rd 0/2 | Active conditions: 0 Non-lethal Damage.

Daire idles while the two ladies head off to attend to their bodily needs.


Female Human Fighter(Two-Weapon Warrior) 3/Brawler 4 AC 21, Touch 15, FF 17 | HP 53/53 | F +10, R +9, W +2 | Init +3 | Perc +11

When they had gotten far enough from the group, Aoife broke away from the Sister. Creeping back to take the children by surprise and cut off their ability to run away.

Stealth: 1d20 + 5 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 5 + 3 = 26

... Is she the thief now too?


Female Human Cleric 5 HP 30/47| AC 10/10/10 | CMB +3| CMD 13| F:4 R:1 W:8 | Init +0| Per +6

Cobhlaith tries to look as if her only concern is finding a private spot.
Stealth: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (16) + 0 = 16


GM:
1d20 ⇒ 16
1d20 ⇒ 11

Aoife and Cobhlaith step away from the men, making their way to a copse of blooming yellow furze. Cobhlaith hides there, while Aoife creeps back and around to take the children by surprise. Wearing the exquisite pelt cloak of the Wolves of Largay, she seems to almost disappear. She comes upon the children who still are spying on Ruadhan, Daire, and Thorun. They are unaware that they are now being watched...


Female Human Fighter(Two-Weapon Warrior) 3/Brawler 4 AC 21, Touch 15, FF 17 | HP 53/53 | F +10, R +9, W +2 | Init +3 | Perc +11

Aoife who got as close to the children as she could without alerting them, readied herself to grab one before she spoke. It was softly, and nontheatening, but she knew it would send the kids running either way. After all they had been caught. "Why are we spying?"

grapple should they run: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21


Roll a Diplomacy check!


Female Human Fighter(Two-Weapon Warrior) 3/Brawler 4 AC 21, Touch 15, FF 17 | HP 53/53 | F +10, R +9, W +2 | Init +3 | Perc +11

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22


Female Human Cleric 5 HP 30/47| AC 10/10/10 | CMB +3| CMD 13| F:4 R:1 W:8 | Init +0| Per +6

As soon as Cobhlaith hears Aoife's voice she steps out on the other side of the children and moves as close to the small girl as she can, slipping behind her if possible.

She too readies herself to grab the girl if she turns or runs

Grapple: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20


Male Human Ranger (Skirmisher) 4, Rogue (Waylayer) 1 | HP: 42/55 ( +5 mythic) |AC: 19 (T:14, FF:15) CMB: +7, CMD: 19| F: +5, R: +9, W: +3 | Init: +4(+1 surprise+2 woods) | Perc: +9| Speed 30ft | 2/26 breath

"Come on then guys, let us give the ladies some space, they can catch us up."
As the guys prepare to head out, Ruadhán moves closer to Thorun and Daire. "Thorun, that strap looks to have come loose, crossing the river, no, no, this one. Oh and Daire, you still have water caught in that bag, you might want to empty it." when he gets closer, he whispers to them what is going on and to continue to play along.


Male CN Bard (Brazen Deceiver) 5 | HP: 56/56 | AC: 18 (14 Tch, 15 Fl) | CMB: +6, CMD: 19 | F: +3, R: +9, W: +4 | Init: +2 | Perc: +3, SM: +6 | Speed 30ft | Bardic Performance: 22/28 | Mythic Power: 1/5 | Spells: 1st 5/6, 2nd 2/5, 3rd 0/2 | Active conditions: 0 Non-lethal Damage.

"Ah, so I have!"

Daire does indeed play along.


The children are caught completely unaware and seem about to bolt, but there is something reassuring about Aoife's tone that keeps them from running. The little girl hides behind her older brother.

"We weren't spying," the younger boy defends.

"These are my father's lands," the older boy speaks defiantly. A boy playing the part of a man. "We have every right to be here. You're from Breifne?"


Female Human Fighter(Two-Weapon Warrior) 3/Brawler 4 AC 21, Touch 15, FF 17 | HP 53/53 | F +10, R +9, W +2 | Init +3 | Perc +11

"Ooh, well if you weren't spying then, why where you hiding?" Aoife asked with a slightly raised eyebrow and small smirk. She stood up fully now and shifted her weight a bit to look sideways at the eldest. "Not yet a man, but I like your courage. Careful though, it can get you in trouble. We're from all over actually. One two of us hail from the same place. Simply passing through. Truly we mean no harm to your family."


The older boy blushes. To him, Aoife, with her beautiful wolf's pelt cloak, looks more like a princess than a slave.

"We should go home," the younger boy suggests. The little girl looks up at her brother, clearly the leader of the pack, for guidance. He nods and smiles.

"These are my father's lands," the older boy repeats. "He will certainly offer you hospitality if you ask."


Female Human Cleric 5 HP 30/47| AC 10/10/10 | CMB +3| CMD 13| F:4 R:1 W:8 | Init +0| Per +6

Sister Cobhlaith steps to face the children.
"God's grace be on you."

She smiles her most reassuring smile.
"Thank you for your offer of hospitality, but we are trying to reach my monastery as quickly as possible. The weather has not been kind to us, and we must keep pressing onward to make up for lost time.

"Tell your father that we are simply travelers passing through with no intention except to move on quickly. If he asks, tell him Sister Cobhlaith and her friends are trying to reach Saint Colmcille's monastery in Doire. "


Please roll Bluff or Diplomacy – either will do under the circumstances.


Female Human Cleric 5 HP 30/47| AC 10/10/10 | CMB +3| CMD 13| F:4 R:1 W:8 | Init +0| Per +6

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19

one of the reasons I named that monastery is because it appears to be a place we will actually go through on our way to Inishown, and, when we leave here, the direction we go will support that as a destination.


Male Human Barbarian (Superstitious) 7 AC 20, Touch 13, FF 18 | HP 105/105 | F +8, R +5, W +5 | Init +5 | Perc +12
Raging Stats:
AC 18, Touch 11, FF 16 | HP 119/119 | F +10, R +5, W +7 | Init +5 | Perc +12

Thorun looms in the back, looking aloof. He rarely puts children at ease, and he has to know them well to do that.


Female Human Fighter(Two-Weapon Warrior) 3/Brawler 4 AC 21, Touch 15, FF 17 | HP 53/53 | F +10, R +9, W +2 | Init +3 | Perc +11

Aoife gave the children a reassuring smile. "I wish we had time, but we must be off." Aoife told them as she looked to the Sister. "As the Sister here stated." She gives a motion for Cobhlaith to rejoin the group.

Then she address the group before her once more. "If you're going to spy, than do be more careful." She told them. "Not all who wonder the land as are friendly. While you are close to manhood remember that you not only look after yourself but your brother and sister as well." She then looked to the younger two. "And don't think that just because you where born after that you don't have a place too. Keep him from doing something foolish." She said winking at them. "I do the same for my brother, and I'm the youngest." Aoife told them as she gently gave the young girl a pat on the head.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24

"Stay safe young ones, this world can be unforgiving." She finally warned before she headed back to the group.

1,451 to 1,500 of 2,904 << first < prev | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Last King of Ireland All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.