Strange Aeons, with GM Pendrak

Game Master karlprosek

To shake off the maddening and wearying limitations of time and space and natural law—to be linked with the vast outside—to come close to the nighted and abysmal secrets of the infinite and the ultimate—surely such a thing was worth the risk of one’s life, soul, and sanity! -- H.P. Lovecraft, The Whisperer in Darkness (1931)

Thank you, GM Pendrak, for starting this campaign.

World Anvil campaign page
Asylum Map
Ruined Halls Map
Loot list


1,851 to 1,900 of 1,995 << first < prev | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | next > last >>

F Aasimar (Changeling) Dread 3 [ HP: 16/18 | AC: 21/22| T: 14/15 | FF: 17/18 | CMD: 17/18 | Fort +1 / Ref +6 / Will +4 (+1 vs Abberants, +2 vs Disease)| Init +4 / Perception +7 (Darkvision 60') ]

Reine shook her head, motioning back the way they came. Their little group was battered - at least, Reine herself felt battered, and she didn't like the idea of being outnumbered yet again.

Thoughts in the discussion thread.


FM Human (Varisian) [ HP: 3/32 | AC: 16 (12 T, 14 F) | CMB: 1, CMD: 13 | F: 6, R: 3, W: 3 | Init: 2 | Percep: 3] Sorcerer (Aberant) 3

Resources:
Acid ray 2/5. Spells 1: 2/6

sense motive (dc5): 1d20 ⇒ 15

Broom looks at John for a moment before shrugging.

She was feeling ok and they were here to talk to Zandalar who might be upstairs, but the fact he seemed to be asking meant there might be something else happening that she wasn't aware of so she decided to just follow the group.


Human Urban Ranger 3 | HP:28/28 | AC:20 FF:18 T:12 | CMD:19 | +4 +5 +5 | Init:+2 Per:+7 Strange Aeons Loot List

John slowly backs down the stairs.

stealth: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23

"What do you think?" he asks the others.


F Aasimar (Changeling) Dread 3 [ HP: 16/18 | AC: 21/22| T: 14/15 | FF: 17/18 | CMD: 17/18 | Fort +1 / Ref +6 / Will +4 (+1 vs Abberants, +2 vs Disease)| Init +4 / Perception +7 (Darkvision 60') ]

Cure Light Wounds: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6

Reine pulled a small vial from a pocket, pulled the cork and quickly swallowed the contents. She grimaced as she felt some kind of internal heat coalesce around the part of her ribs that had been stabbing at her. After a moment, the heat faded - along with most of the pain.

"It sounded like multiple people up there," Reine said, as she pocketed the empty vial. "If we're going up there, we either need to act like we belong, or rush them right up front. I don't like rushing when we have no idea how many we're facing."

Used one CLW potion. One remaining.


Shadow stealth: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16 Not great but not terrible.

Spoiler:
1: 1d20 + 6 - 5 ⇒ (8) + 6 - 5 = 9
2: 1d20 + 6 - 5 ⇒ (17) + 6 - 5 = 18
3: 1d20 + 6 - 5 ⇒ (4) + 6 - 5 = 5
4: 1d20 + 6 - 5 ⇒ (3) + 6 - 5 = 4
Whoops.

Desdemona's shadow slipped quietly up the stairs. After a few seconds, the group heard "Hey! What's that!? and the sound of a chair scraping back along the tile floor.

"What's what?"

"I didn't see anything. Are you sure you saw something?"

"Yeah! It went back to the stairs!"

The shadow flowed back over the floor to pool at Desdemona's feet and whisper in her ear.

Shadow:
"Nothing but victims. More blood to spill. These four will go down easy. So sweet, so tasty. We'll kill them quick and send them down into the shadows." The shadow apparently didn't think much of the coming opposition.

You guys have a round to prep while they gather their stuff. Roll initiative, please.

Mook initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21
Leader initiative: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23


Human Urban Ranger 3 | HP:28/28 | AC:20 FF:18 T:12 | CMD:19 | +4 +5 +5 | Init:+2 Per:+7 Strange Aeons Loot List

initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11

John readies an action to throw a dagger at the first person to appear.

dagger: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11

damage: 1d4 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7

and then draw Red Destiny as a free action.


F Aasimar (Changeling) Dread 3 [ HP: 16/18 | AC: 21/22| T: 14/15 | FF: 17/18 | CMD: 17/18 | Fort +1 / Ref +6 / Will +4 (+1 vs Abberants, +2 vs Disease)| Init +4 / Perception +7 (Darkvision 60') ]

Init: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22

"They're coming to us. That's convenient." Reine's voice was smooth, quiet, and soft, as she made sure she was beside John and in front of Broom and Des. She crouched, hands empty and fingers flexed, ready to launch herself at the enemy, right behind John's dagger.

Briefly, and only in the minds of her companions, all sources of light seemed to flare for a second, and a Harrow card appeared in Reine's hand. She let it fall to the floor at her feet, where it landed face up. The Bear looked up at Broom and Desdemona, then the card disappeared a few seconds later.

With that Initiative roll, I imagine she'll be going before the first bad guy to come around the corner, so a Readied Action would be a waste. Instead, she'll Manifest Offensive Prescience (+2 to her damage rolls) for 1PP (2 Remaining). I also had her and Broom change places on the map, as Reine would naturally take the front line with John.


Desdemona:
fetchling summoner (shadow caller/paracosmist) 3 HPs:22/22 - AC: 18|13|15 (+4 w Shield) - Fort:+2 | Ref:+4 | Will:+3* - Perception:+0, Init:+3, CMD:14 *+2 to saves vs spells/effects with the fear/emotion descriptors
Itzaldeimos:
shadow eidolon 3 HPs:26/26, AC: 17|13|14, Fort:+2, Ref:+5, Will:+3, Perception:+6, Init:+2, CMD:17

"Four... and perhaps not terribly dangerous," Desdemona ventured quietly, wondering how far they dared to trust the knowledge the darkness whispered to her.

init Des: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5
init shadow: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5

Got to start work, but I'll post some actions at lunch.


Desdemona:
fetchling summoner (shadow caller/paracosmist) 3 HPs:22/22 - AC: 18|13|15 (+4 w Shield) - Fort:+2 | Ref:+4 | Will:+3* - Perception:+0, Init:+3, CMD:14 *+2 to saves vs spells/effects with the fear/emotion descriptors
Itzaldeimos:
shadow eidolon 3 HPs:26/26, AC: 17|13|14, Fort:+2, Ref:+5, Will:+3, Perception:+6, Init:+2, CMD:17

Des will ready an acid splash, and the shadow will move up by John and Reine (if there's room) so it can take a reach AOO on whoever approaches, then full attack on its turn. If there isn't room, I guess it'll just stay behind Reine and John and attack from there.

Des acid splash ranged touch: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8
dmg: 1d3 ⇒ 3

shadow PA AOO 10' reach: 1d20 + 5 - 1 ⇒ (13) + 5 - 1 = 17
dmg 50%: 2d6 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (5, 6) + 2 + 2 = 15

shadow PA full attack1 slam: 1d20 + 5 - 1 ⇒ (11) + 5 - 1 = 15
dmg 50%: 2d6 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (3, 1) + 2 + 2 = 8

shadow PA full attack2 bite: 1d20 + 5 - 1 ⇒ (17) + 5 - 1 = 21
dmg 50%: 1d8 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 + 2 = 6


FM Human (Varisian) [ HP: 3/32 | AC: 16 (12 T, 14 F) | CMB: 1, CMD: 13 | F: 6, R: 3, W: 3 | Init: 2 | Percep: 3] Sorcerer (Aberant) 3

Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3

"We are members of the Apostles in Orpimant though, right?" Broom asked her friends as she pointed to the yellow armbands she had fashioned for each. "We are here to see Zandalus, shouldn't we just ask them if its ok to talk to the prophet?"


F Aasimar (Changeling) Dread 3 [ HP: 16/18 | AC: 21/22| T: 14/15 | FF: 17/18 | CMD: 17/18 | Fort +1 / Ref +6 / Will +4 (+1 vs Abberants, +2 vs Disease)| Init +4 / Perception +7 (Darkvision 60') ]
Desdemona Elisabeth wrote:
Des will ready an acid splash, and the shadow will move up by John and Reine (if there's room) so it can take a reach AOO on whoever approaches, then full attack on its turn. If there isn't room, I guess it'll just stay behind Reine and John and attack from there.

If it was on the steps in front of John and Reine, I think the AoO would work. I don't know what the rules are for whether the shadow takes up space or not. Would Des have to 5' South to make room for the Shadow behind Reine if it can't be on the steps in front of her?

"We're wearing the arm bands," Reine said softly to Broom, "but these guys don't know us, and they've been up here, with ghouls between them and anyone else. I don't think they're gonna be friendly. Besides, why would the prophet be up here? Why wouldn't he be back in the hallways above the camp? Where his followers can bring him food?"


Four Apostles in Orpiment came around the corner a few seconds later, each wearing a full set of orderly's gear under their yellow robes. The one in front gestured at John with his baton.

"Hey! You're not allowed up here! I don't even know how you got up here, but you need to turn yourselves around and get the hell out of here if you know what's good for you."

Up to you how you guys want to handle this. Do you want to AoOs and attack immediately?


Human Urban Ranger 3 | HP:28/28 | AC:20 FF:18 T:12 | CMD:19 | +4 +5 +5 | Init:+2 Per:+7 Strange Aeons Loot List

"Uh.....oh." John replies.

"We were just looking for a place to bed down for sleep."

"We'll get out of your hair."


F Aasimar (Changeling) Dread 3 [ HP: 16/18 | AC: 21/22| T: 14/15 | FF: 17/18 | CMD: 17/18 | Fort +1 / Ref +6 / Will +4 (+1 vs Abberants, +2 vs Disease)| Init +4 / Perception +7 (Darkvision 60') ]

"Why aren't we allowed up here?" Reine asked, frowning. "We were told to come up here, after all. And we had to kill the ghouls that were eating the... the man blowing smoke downstairs. Why can't we be up here, where it's safe?" The anger typically in her voice had been replaced by more of a petulant whine.

Bluff (If needed): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14


FM Human (Varisian) [ HP: 3/32 | AC: 16 (12 T, 14 F) | CMB: 1, CMD: 13 | F: 6, R: 3, W: 3 | Init: 2 | Percep: 3] Sorcerer (Aberant) 3

Broom nodded at Reine "We met the faithful and they said that the prophet had not spoken with them for some time. We were told that he had sequestered himself up here. As new Apostles in Orpimant We were really hoping to hear his words for ourselves despite the dangers from the ghouls below. Maybe We could speak with him tomorrow if he is too busy right now?"

Broom was only half lying. Despite following Reine's lead, she really did want to talk with Zandalus and hear his teachings.

Bluff assist: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12


Desdemona:
fetchling summoner (shadow caller/paracosmist) 3 HPs:22/22 - AC: 18|13|15 (+4 w Shield) - Fort:+2 | Ref:+4 | Will:+3* - Perception:+0, Init:+3, CMD:14 *+2 to saves vs spells/effects with the fear/emotion descriptors
Itzaldeimos:
shadow eidolon 3 HPs:26/26, AC: 17|13|14, Fort:+2, Ref:+5, Will:+3, Perception:+6, Init:+2, CMD:17

Desdemona had shut her eyes, and was swaying slightly as she begged, begged her shadow not to start trouble if they could otherwise avoid it, in her thoughts.

The snicker in her mind kept her busy, but as a frail-seeming young woman with her hands clasped tightly by her bosom, she certainly didn't paint a dangerous picture.

She'll turn so that her yellow armband is more obvious, but she doesn't have a lot to add here.


Seeing the yellow armbands and hearing their story, the Apostle in the lead seemed less hostile. He lowered his baton and took a few steps closer (not enough to leave his square). Dropping his voice and looking back over his shoulder in the direction they had come from, he said "I don't know who sent you here, but if somebody did then it was a practical joke. You need to leave, for your own safety."

DC 10 Sense Motive:
He seems to be telling the truth. It sounds like he thinks you're in danger.


F Aasimar (Changeling) Dread 3 [ HP: 16/18 | AC: 21/22| T: 14/15 | FF: 17/18 | CMD: 17/18 | Fort +1 / Ref +6 / Will +4 (+1 vs Abberants, +2 vs Disease)| Init +4 / Perception +7 (Darkvision 60') ]

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

"We fought ghouls getting here," Reine said. Though she kept her voice down, the uncharacteristic whine was still there. "You think it's a joke to send people to be eaten by ghouls? And now you want to send us back out there?"

To her companions, it was clear from her body language that Reine didn't believe a word the man was saying. It was possible that the wrong answer from him would start bloodshed, judging by the way her fingers were flexing at her sides.


Desdemona:
fetchling summoner (shadow caller/paracosmist) 3 HPs:22/22 - AC: 18|13|15 (+4 w Shield) - Fort:+2 | Ref:+4 | Will:+3* - Perception:+0, Init:+3, CMD:14 *+2 to saves vs spells/effects with the fear/emotion descriptors
Itzaldeimos:
shadow eidolon 3 HPs:26/26, AC: 17|13|14, Fort:+2, Ref:+5, Will:+3, Perception:+6, Init:+2, CMD:17

Sense motive DC10: 1d20 ⇒ 13

Desdemona opened one eye, then the other, and regarded the apostle with concern. She raised a hand to touch Reine's shoulder, but thought better of it, and let it drop again. "Why? What's happening up there? Please, good sir. We only wish to see the Prophet." She blinked at him, looking as harmless as she could.


Seems like a Bluff check to me, Des. Let's see how you do.

Bluff, no skill ranks: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17 Nice!
Mook Sense Motive: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26 Oof.

The man in yellow gave Des and Reine an annoyed look and shook his head. "Look, I'm trying to help you. If you're not going to go, we're going to have to beat some sense into you." He took a step forward, raising his baton.

Looks like violence. I'm going to have readied actions go off unless directed otherwise.

Initiative
L (not present)
Reine
M
John
Des/Shadow
Broom


F Aasimar (Changeling) Dread 3 [ HP: 16/18 | AC: 21/22| T: 14/15 | FF: 17/18 | CMD: 17/18 | Fort +1 / Ref +6 / Will +4 (+1 vs Abberants, +2 vs Disease)| Init +4 / Perception +7 (Darkvision 60') ]

I'm cool with going into combat from here. If I read everything correctly from previous posts, DM, and you're allowing the AoO's and prepped actions to go off, the first round looks like:

Shadow AoO's someone (15 to hit, 15 x.5 damage if it hits)
John (Readied Action) Throws Dagger (11 to hit, 7 Damage if it hits), then draws Red Destiny
Des (Readied Action) Acid Splashes (8 to hit, 3 dmg if it hits)
Leader Goes (not present)
Reine Goes (not yet posted)
Mooks Go (not yet posted)
Shadow (previously posted) Full Attacks someone (Slam 15 to hit, 8 x .5 Dmg/Bite 21 to hit, 6 x .5 dmg)
Broom Goes (not yet posted)

Which resets the Init order for future rounds to:

John
Des
Leader
Reine
Mooks
Shadow
Broom

Do I have that right? If so, I'll post Reine's actions for this round.


OK, let's do it!

Seeing the spokesman threaten Reine, John threw the dagger in his hand. At the same moment, Desdemona's shadow apparently made up its own mind and swirled around the man's legs to leech the life energy out of him. He screamed and flinched and John's dagger spun off to hit the wall behind him.

Desdemona threw a blob of burning shadow at the same man but missed, as well.

With that, the 4 guards surged forward to meet the intruders. From the west, they all heard an annoyed voice- an older woman's voice, from the sound of it- yell "What's all that racket!? Keep it down!"

Init:
John - ready action used
Des - ready action used
Leader - appears in 1 round
Reine
Mook 1 - moderate damage
2
3
4
Shadow
Broom


F Aasimar (Changeling) Dread 3 [ HP: 16/18 | AC: 21/22| T: 14/15 | FF: 17/18 | CMD: 17/18 | Fort +1 / Ref +6 / Will +4 (+1 vs Abberants, +2 vs Disease)| Init +4 / Perception +7 (Darkvision 60') ]

Reine, her vision seeing moments into the future, ignored the spokesman and reached past him, the razor-sharp nails on her fingers flicking towards the throat of his companion - the one who hadn't been looking at her.

(non-touch) Attack - Claw1: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10
Claw Damage: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
(non-touch) Attack - Claw2: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16
Claw/DT Damage: 1d4 + 1d6 + 7 + 1 ⇒ (2) + (5) + 7 + 1 = 15

The problem with prescience was that the vision could only show possibilities, and there were, at any given time, so very many possibilities. Any of them could be true, depending on the free choice of those involved. Reine, it seemed, chose poorly, and her right hand swept through empty air. But as she'd had two hands to attack with, Reine had chosen two possible futures, aiming for the goon's neck in the two most likely possibilities. The nails of her left hand were much more accurate.

Full Attack on Mook 2. 5' forward if needed. DT channeled through claws, with Offensive Prescience. I'm assuming we spent a full minute talking before the fight, so 20 rounds remaining (of 30). I'm guessing the first one missed, and hoping the second one hit.

OP Rounds Remaining: 20/30


FM Human (Varisian) [ HP: 3/32 | AC: 16 (12 T, 14 F) | CMB: 1, CMD: 13 | F: 6, R: 3, W: 3 | Init: 2 | Percep: 3] Sorcerer (Aberant) 3

Broom gasped and covered her mouth at the sudden eruption of violence. Why was everyone suddenly attacking each other? Weren't these people just trying to help keep them safe by warning them away from something?

She glanced about from the guards to her own companions unsure of how to respond.

Just waiting for my turn in the initiative


F Aasimar (Changeling) Dread 3 [ HP: 16/18 | AC: 21/22| T: 14/15 | FF: 17/18 | CMD: 17/18 | Fort +1 / Ref +6 / Will +4 (+1 vs Abberants, +2 vs Disease)| Init +4 / Perception +7 (Darkvision 60') ]
Mashiki Malbourne wrote:
Broom gasped and covered her mouth at the sudden eruption of violence. Why was everyone suddenly attacking each other? Weren't these people just trying to help keep them safe by warning them away from something?

Yeah... we're being a little murder-hobo-y here... but in our defense, he did raise his club and threaten two cowering and whining (and kinda-sorta-lying) women...


Human Urban Ranger 3 | HP:28/28 | AC:20 FF:18 T:12 | CMD:19 | +4 +5 +5 | Init:+2 Per:+7 Strange Aeons Loot List

I'm teetering on the edge of losing it after the nightmares, lost memory, haunted rooms, and flesh eating undead.


Reine's debilitating claws dropped the man to the floor and he scrambled away, back toward the room they'd come from. Fluff, #2 Withdrew.

With the shadow draining the life from him, the spokesman fled as well, and seeing their front rank so easily dispatched made the other two retreat too.

All Mooks used Withdraw. Reine took a 5' step forward so she'll get an AoO on 1 as he moves out of the second threatened square. If Shadow has another AoO to use this round it will also get one.

Init:
John - ready action used
Des - ready action used
Leader - acted
Reine - acted
Mook 1 - mortal damage, acted
2 - mortal damage, acted
3 - acted
4 - acted
Shadow - acted (hit 1 with slam/bite)
Broom


F Aasimar (Changeling) Dread 3 [ HP: 16/18 | AC: 21/22| T: 14/15 | FF: 17/18 | CMD: 17/18 | Fort +1 / Ref +6 / Will +4 (+1 vs Abberants, +2 vs Disease)| Init +4 / Perception +7 (Darkvision 60') ]

AoO on 1, DT vs Touch AC: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22

The one who'd threatened her turned to run and Reine flicked her wrist. She'd seen the possible futures, and with the move, her hand was in place for the man's cheek to brush against it as he ran. Fear and anger flowed from her touch and into the unfortunate soul.

DT+OP: 1d6 + 7 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 7 + 1 = 11


Desdemona:
fetchling summoner (shadow caller/paracosmist) 3 HPs:22/22 - AC: 18|13|15 (+4 w Shield) - Fort:+2 | Ref:+4 | Will:+3* - Perception:+0, Init:+3, CMD:14 *+2 to saves vs spells/effects with the fear/emotion descriptors
Itzaldeimos:
shadow eidolon 3 HPs:26/26, AC: 17|13|14, Fort:+2, Ref:+5, Will:+3, Perception:+6, Init:+2, CMD:17

I don't think these are actual bad guys. We probably shouldn't murderhobo them too hard.

That said:

shadow AOO: 1d20 + 5 - 1 ⇒ (19) + 5 - 1 = 23
shadow AOO 50% dmg: 2d6 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (1, 4) + 2 + 2 = 9

"No!" Desdemona cried, her reflexive attack already spawning guilt and horror - but not as much as her horrible shadow was causing as it wrapped around a man and melded with his own shadow, causing it to elongate into that horrible maned serpent-thing.


FM Human (Varisian) [ HP: 3/32 | AC: 16 (12 T, 14 F) | CMB: 1, CMD: 13 | F: 6, R: 3, W: 3 | Init: 2 | Percep: 3] Sorcerer (Aberant) 3

Resources:
Acid ray 2/5. Spells 1: 2/6

Broom really didn't want to hurt these people, but there was nothing she could do about that now. She reflected a moment longer on the people she woke up with. The ghoul king had wanted their help and the group had attacked him, now these people were trying to protect them from something and the group of amnesiacs had attacked them as well.

Maybe this is why they had all been sent to the aslum in the first place. But was she like them? Was she supposed to be like them?

Remembering Xander's description of some featureless stones they had found, Broom moved up the stairs and plucked a small pebble from her magic pack. She could only think of one thing to do that might make them stop fighting without hurting them. "Please, we just need to talk to Zandalus. Just stop blocking us and we won't hurt you!" she implored them. "And We are sorry about this." she added as she tossed the stone up to the top of the stairs. Ranged touch vs AC5: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9

As soon as the alchemical pebble struck the top step, a loud pop reverberated throughout the room.

Move and toss a thunderstone at the top of the steps. 10' spread DC15 Fort or be deaf for 1 hr (20% miscast chance) and -4 initiative


F Aasimar (Changeling) Dread 3 [ HP: 16/18 | AC: 21/22| T: 14/15 | FF: 17/18 | CMD: 17/18 | Fort +1 / Ref +6 / Will +4 (+1 vs Abberants, +2 vs Disease)| Init +4 / Perception +7 (Darkvision 60') ]

Karl, are you waiting on John and Des to post? Just curious, as they might be waiting on you for results of the AoO's (I suspect #1 didn't actually make it up the stairs...) and Broom's boom-rock.


Human Urban Ranger 3 | HP:28/28 | AC:20 FF:18 T:12 | CMD:19 | +4 +5 +5 | Init:+2 Per:+7 Strange Aeons Loot List

I didn't know if we had moved to the next round.


No, sorry, I just had to go into the office for the first time in weeks and got too swamped to post a response.

Reine nearly severed the spokesman's artery with a deceptively delicate swipe, and he fell to the floor before he was able to get away.

Desdemona's shadow likewise brushed against the other man in the guards' front rank and he collapsed as he tried to scramble away from the deadly invaders.

Saves:
3: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
4: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10
L: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14

Broom's explosive had the guards clutching at their ears, including an gangly old woman with long, straggly grey hair. Where the two younger men, though, had their eyes closed and were shaking their heads to try to clear them, the old woman merely hit herself on the side of the head and grinned straight at Broom. "I SAID KEEP IT DOWN!" The mad, excited look on her face didn't match her tone at all. Looking like that and sounding like that at the same time? This woman was clearly one of the dangerous patients everyone had been warning them about.

PCs are up.

Init:
John
Des
Leader
Reine
Mook 1 - down
2ds - down
3
4
Shadow
Broom


Desdemona:
fetchling summoner (shadow caller/paracosmist) 3 HPs:22/22 - AC: 18|13|15 (+4 w Shield) - Fort:+2 | Ref:+4 | Will:+3* - Perception:+0, Init:+3, CMD:14 *+2 to saves vs spells/effects with the fear/emotion descriptors
Itzaldeimos:
shadow eidolon 3 HPs:26/26, AC: 17|13|14, Fort:+2, Ref:+5, Will:+3, Perception:+6, Init:+2, CMD:17

At the ear-pounding crack of sound, Desdemona remembered that she had a set of thunderstones, as well. She palmed one, preparing to throw it if the madwoman proved dangerous.

Her shadow stretched out ahead, slowly inching toward the strangers. Desdemona glanced at the fallen men, and shivered. She edged toward them, intending to check to see if they were dead.

Des will ready an action to throw one of her thunderstones if needed (ie the woman uses a spell). Pretty sure it's light enough that the shadow can only move slowly, so it's heading toward the leader, and will take AOOs on anyone who gets too close.


FM Human (Varisian) [ HP: 3/32 | AC: 16 (12 T, 14 F) | CMB: 1, CMD: 13 | F: 6, R: 3, W: 3 | Init: 2 | Percep: 3] Sorcerer (Aberant) 3

Although she had serious reservations about what was happening to the guards that had confronted them, the old woman seemed very different. But how much harm could a crazy old woman do?

John and Reine were more than capable of handling the small band of cultists so Broom knelt by the first man that had dropped. Her knowledge of healing was limited to two or three days of watching Xander, but it seemed like putting pressure on a wound was the first thing that he did when treating someone. So, that's what she did.

heal: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21

She didn't know if he was still alive, but the bleeding stopped. Maybe she was better at this than she thought?


Human Urban Ranger 3 | HP:28/28 | AC:20 FF:18 T:12 | CMD:19 | +4 +5 +5 | Init:+2 Per:+7 Strange Aeons Loot List

"Wow....that was loud." John mutters as his ears echo from the thunderstone.

He advances up the steps and sees the two guards and the old woman waiting for them.

Not wanting to mix it up with Zandulus's grandmother, he stabs one of the guards waiting around the corner at the top.

Stabbing number 3 around the hard corner.

Red Destiny: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21

damage: 1d6 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10


Try as he might to keep the wall in between himself and John's enchanted blade, the guard couldn't keep Red Destiny from slicing into his side. He grunted in pain but stayed on his feet, menacing John with his baton.

Desdemona's shadow stretched out toward the enemies, but slow as spreading molasses, oozing along like the light was pressing it down into the floor.

The old woman turned her malevolent grin on John. "Oh, you're a big one, aren't you?" She took a step forward, much quicker than anyone would have expected, given her age, and reached out with surprisingly large hands.

Grapple check: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (3) + 14 = 17

John managed to fend her off, but there was terrifying power behind those hands and his defense just seemed to excite her. "Ooooh, and a tough one! I like the tough ones! Come on, big boy, show me what ya got!"

Init:
John - acted
Des - she doesn't cast, so I wasn't sure if you wanted to throw the stone or not
Leader - acted
Reine
Mook 1 - down
2 - down
3 - major damage
4
Shadow - moved 15'
Broom


Human Urban Ranger 3 | HP:28/28 | AC:20 FF:18 T:12 | CMD:19 | +4 +5 +5 | Init:+2 Per:+7 Strange Aeons Loot List

"No one here wants to hurt you grandmother." John says as he pushes away the old woman with his shield.


F Aasimar (Changeling) Dread 3 [ HP: 16/18 | AC: 21/22| T: 14/15 | FF: 17/18 | CMD: 17/18 | Fort +1 / Ref +6 / Will +4 (+1 vs Abberants, +2 vs Disease)| Init +4 / Perception +7 (Darkvision 60') ]

Reine followed John and the Shadow up the stairs, but she was very careful not to step on the shadow - especially once she saw it was in its serpent form. She also didn't want to blindly charge into the midst of the enemy, so she pulled up short before reaching the top of the stairs.

Something about that old woman wasn't right, and for some reason, Reine realized that she had experience with dangerous old women who were more powerful than they seemed. She couldn't remember exactly why that was, but a surge of terror and anger rose within Reine, stirred up by the old woman and half-formed memories.

As usual, Reine turned that fear and anger into a weapon, and aimed that weapon back at the source. At least, the source she could see.

"You," Reine said, and though her voice was low, everyone felt an urge to listen - as though whatever she was going to say or do next had some important but hidden meaning - "Your time here is at an end. Prepare your soul." With the flick of her wrist, Reine sent a harrow card spinning through the air towards the old woman. A harrow card that she hadn't been holding a moment ago. The face of the Mute Hag stared out from the face of the card as it flew, disappearing into nothingness just before it would have struck the old woman in the face.

Move as shown on the map. Hopefully the Shadow will be able to move into the room, or it's going to be an interesting fight (although I suppose it could slip over behind John and Reach past him if we need to get all three of us into melee and the stairs are blocked). Anyway...

Manifest Telepathic Lash at Grandma, (Talent, 0PP cost while Focused). So assuming that grandma has 4HD or less, that's a DC15 Will save or be Dazed for one round. Sadly, it's not specifically a Fear effect, so no penalty to the save.


FM Human (Varisian) [ HP: 3/32 | AC: 16 (12 T, 14 F) | CMB: 1, CMD: 13 | F: 6, R: 3, W: 3 | Init: 2 | Percep: 3] Sorcerer (Aberant) 3

It was difficult to see what was happening at the top of the stairs now that John and Reine were both up there. There didn't seem to be much she could do.

The old woman's words suddenly gave her an idea, that new spell she remembered!

Begin casting enlarge person on John. 1 round casting time.


Human Urban Ranger 3 | HP:28/28 | AC:20 FF:18 T:12 | CMD:19 | +4 +5 +5 | Init:+2 Per:+7 Strange Aeons Loot List

There's not really room for that on these stairs Broom


F Aasimar (Changeling) Dread 3 [ HP: 16/18 | AC: 21/22| T: 14/15 | FF: 17/18 | CMD: 17/18 | Fort +1 / Ref +6 / Will +4 (+1 vs Abberants, +2 vs Disease)| Init +4 / Perception +7 (Darkvision 60') ]

You have a round to get off the stairs before it kicks in. Remember, it's a full-round action to cast the spell. So the growth won't actually happen until Broom's next turn, at the end of next round. The only people who haven't acted yet this round are Mooks 3 and 4. After they act, it's John's turn - at regular size. Depending on what Mook 4 does, John should have the ability to either 5', or possibly bull-rush either #4 or a (hopefully Dazed) Old Lady before he gets big (or after, with the size bonus). And Shadow and Reine can move if we need to before the growth kicks in. Even if we have to move backwards, which ain't optimal, there's worse things that could happen.


Will save, DC 15: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15

The old woman's gaze flicked over at Reine, her grin widening on seeing the terrifying young woman, if anything. "Oh, sweetie, you don't scare me." She spared only a glance, however- further evidence that she knew what she was doing in a fight.

"If you don't want to hurt me, big man, why don't you be polite and put down that plank of wood?"

3 Baton - John: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13
4 Baton - shadow: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11

Her two lackeys tried to thump the shadow and John with their batons but neither connected.

Team is up.

Init:
John
Des
Leader
Reine
Mook 1 - down
2 - down
3 - major damage
4
Shadow
Broom


Human Urban Ranger 3 | HP:28/28 | AC:20 FF:18 T:12 | CMD:19 | +4 +5 +5 | Init:+2 Per:+7 Strange Aeons Loot List

"Not likely, granny." John says as the old woman tells him to drop his shield.

Feeling the disorienting effects of Broom's magic in the air and knowling he was going to start to enlarge into a giant soon, John decides to forward.

He steps (dangerously) into the middle of his foes and stabs the goon on the north side of the stairs with a vicious strike to the gut, throwing all his weight into it.

Red Destiny into Goon 4: 1d20 + 9 - 1 ⇒ (13) + 9 - 1 = 21 (power attack)

damage: 1d6 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 6 + 2 = 14

Can the shadow or someone else finish off goon 4 if I didn't kill him?


F Aasimar (Changeling) Dread 3 [ HP: 16/18 | AC: 21/22| T: 14/15 | FF: 17/18 | CMD: 17/18 | Fort +1 / Ref +6 / Will +4 (+1 vs Abberants, +2 vs Disease)| Init +4 / Perception +7 (Darkvision 60') ]

Reine can't do anything until after the Leader goes (which I am nervous about), and Shadow doesn't go until after everyone). That said, assuming John survives whatever the old lady does, Reine can probably do something to make sure 4 doesn't get an attack off, at least.


Desdemona:
fetchling summoner (shadow caller/paracosmist) 3 HPs:22/22 - AC: 18|13|15 (+4 w Shield) - Fort:+2 | Ref:+4 | Will:+3* - Perception:+0, Init:+3, CMD:14 *+2 to saves vs spells/effects with the fear/emotion descriptors
Itzaldeimos:
shadow eidolon 3 HPs:26/26, AC: 17|13|14, Fort:+2, Ref:+5, Will:+3, Perception:+6, Init:+2, CMD:17

The madwoman captured Desdemona's attention. Not afraid of Reine? That was pure madness, after what the angry woman had just done to one of the guards. Forgetting her intent to check on the man her shadow had taken down, she resolved to face this new threat head-on, as Broom was doing despite the mess of blood on the stair, which must have been appalling to her, and as John always did.

Even if calling on the dark left her more open to it.

Closing her eyes, she thrust out a hand and implored the shadows to take the madwoman away.

acid splash RT: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6 LOL
dmg: 1d3 ⇒ 3

Mocking her pathetic pleas, nothing responded but a sneer from the dark. She wasn't sure how she knew it was a sneer, but she was certain of it.

Sorry guys, the shadow is pretty much Des' only schtick. She does have one spell left if things look bad, but the shadow has to move before she can use it.


John nearly gutted the poor man, but only nearly. He clutched his bleeding stomach with one hand and tried to fend off any follow-up attacks with his baton. His frightened glance over John's shoulder was John's only warning that turning his back on the old woman had been a mistake.

Grapple check vs CMD 19: 1d20 + 14 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 14 + 2 = 21
Damage: 1d3 + 3 + 2d6 + 2d6 ⇒ (2) + 3 + (1, 2) + (1, 5) = 14 Wow, the dice are doing everything they can to keep John on his feet.

The powerful hands that had been wrenching at his shield a moment ago wrapped around John's throat from behind. Distracted and unable to fend off the woman's hands, he quickly found himself struggling to breathe. To his horror, he found that she was softly singing some kind of nursery rhyme into his ear.

Init:
John - acted
Des - acted
Leader - acted (can make 2 Grapple checks per round, does not lose Dex bonus to AC)
Reine
Mook 1 - down
2 - down
3 - major damage
4 - mortal damage
Shadow
Broom


F Aasimar (Changeling) Dread 3 [ HP: 16/18 | AC: 21/22| T: 14/15 | FF: 17/18 | CMD: 17/18 | Fort +1 / Ref +6 / Will +4 (+1 vs Abberants, +2 vs Disease)| Init +4 / Perception +7 (Darkvision 60') ]

It was in that moment that Reine moved. Much as she itched to put paid to the old lady, she knew the immediate threat was the man John had stabbed. She'd deal with the old hag in due time. She brought forth her will, and Reine's eyes seemed to glow bright purple, and a faint shimmer surrounded her head. Everyone near her felt as if their name was being called, although there was no sound.

Then, taking advantage of the old woman's focus on John, Reine stepped up and between John and the guard he'd gutted. She was careful to avoid stepping on the shadow, and did her best to stay clear of the old lady, as well as the gutted guard's flailing baton.

She'll drop her Focus to Manifest Untouchable Aura as an Immediate Action (1PP, 1 PP remaining) for 3 rounds (see below). Her Move W,W,NW will provoke an AoO from #4. If he tries to take the attack it will force him to make a Will save, DC 15, with a -4 penalty to the roll. Failure means he loses the action and doesn't make the attack. Success means he can attack normally and is immune to UA for the rest of the duration.

Assuming she survives any attempted AoO...

Twisting and writhing, Reine maneuvered her way beside her target, where she gave him a dark smile and reached out to touch him.

DT+OP vs Touch AC: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16
DT+OP Damage: 1d6 + 7 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 7 + 1 = 12

OP Rounds Remaining: 19/30, UA Rounds Remaining: 3/3

Untouchable Aura:

Discipline: Telepathy [Fear, Mind-Affecting]; Level: Dread 1

DESCRIPTION

You manifest an aura of nightmares around you which reacts to anyone trying to attack you in melee, forcing the assailant’s worst nightmares to consume their thoughts.

Anyone trying to make a melee attack against you must succeed on a Will save or lose their attack action as they recoil in fear from the images inside their mind. If the save succeeds, the opponent can attack normally and is unaffected by that manifestation of the power. Power Resistance applies at the same time as a Will save.

Will Save DC is 15, with a -4 to the roll, from Aura of Fear.


FM Human (Varisian) [ HP: 3/32 | AC: 16 (12 T, 14 F) | CMB: 1, CMD: 13 | F: 6, R: 3, W: 3 | Init: 2 | Percep: 3] Sorcerer (Aberant) 3

Resources:
Acid ray 2/5. Spells 1: 0/6

The spell Broom was concentrating on was a long one and took all her focus to cast. Just as she was nearing completion she thought she heard her name being called. She wasn't certain since her thoughts were elsewhere, but was Reine trying to get her attention?

She looked up with concern as she saw the old lady mauling John. Broom's spell almost faltered, but she kept at it. She noted with dismay that there wasn't enough room around John for him to grow big, something she should probably have realized before she started casting, but now there was another option.

With the final words and a gesture, she moved the focus of her spell from John to Reine.

The enlarge spell complete, Broom took a step up the stairs. "Please let go of John!" she pleaded, as she conjured up the thoughts of the deep place once more and the purplish sparks danced about her hand. And then it happened again. Once more the thin purply black tendril flicked out from her wrist. Again the electricity sparked about the tendril as it tried to make contact with the old woman.

touch attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20
electricity: 3d6 ⇒ (5, 6, 4) = 15

A sharp crack and the smell of ozone mingled with the faint hint of vinegar filled the air.

With that the tendril disappeared back into her wrist. Broom was still startled that it happened again, but wasn't as completely shocked as the first time it happened, though she still stopped and stared in wonder at her wrist for a moment while breathing heavily. The effort of casting so many spells in such a short time had taken its toll on her.

I don't know what race Reine counts as. Aasimar are not humanoid, but changelings are so I am not certain if the enlarge works on her (target: humanoid)


F Aasimar (Changeling) Dread 3 [ HP: 16/18 | AC: 21/22| T: 14/15 | FF: 17/18 | CMD: 17/18 | Fort +1 / Ref +6 / Will +4 (+1 vs Abberants, +2 vs Disease)| Init +4 / Perception +7 (Darkvision 60') ]
Mashiki Malbourne wrote:

With the final words and a gesture, she moved the focus of her spell from John to Reine.

I don't know what race Reine counts as. Aasimar are not humanoid, but changelings are so I am not certain if the enlarge works on her (target: humanoid)

Well, that was unexpected! Should be interesting though! I like how you handled that. :-) Yeah, for the record, Reine is a Changeling for all purposes for which race matters (like spell targeting). She *appears to be* an Aasimar, because that's her father's race.

1,851 to 1,900 of 1,995 << first < prev | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Strange Aeons, with GM Pendrak All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.