RESIST - GM Cyrioul's Hell's Rebels

Game Master Jason Lillis

Tabletop is here!

Party Loot Sheet Here!


1 to 50 of 798 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

3 people marked this as a favorite.

"I am Kintargo’s lord-mayor, yet Kintargo is not my city. Nor is it Cheliax’s city. Kintargo belongs to no one person, but to all who live here and make it the greatest city in Cheliax.

"We call it the Silver City not only for the gleaming waters of the Yolubilis, but for its purity. Kintargo is unique in the nation of Cheliax in this way. We are not the nation’s largest city, nor its strongest. We may not have Westcrown’s history, Ostenso’s naval superiority, Corentyn’s trade dominance, or Egorian’s power, but nor do we have Westcrown’s decay, Ostenso’s violence, Corentyn’s slaves, or Egorian’s damnations.

"Kintargo is our own, and as Cayden Cailean is my witness, I intend to do all that I can to ensure our silver shall never tarnish under Thrune’s touch!”

— Lord-Mayor Jilia Bainilus, two days before she vanished

____________________

2 Rova, 4715 AR - Morning
Location: Aria Park, Kintargo, Cheliax
Weather: Overcast skies, comfortable temperature

Even with the cobblestones of Argent Avenue and the foliage of Aria Park still wet from the morning's light rain, dozens of Kintargans have gathered along the facade of the opera house to protest the city's new lord-mayor, Paracount Barzillai Thrune. The city's new leader was appointed by Her Infernal Majestrix, Queen Abrogail II, in the wake of the previous lord-mayor's sudden flight from the city— an event that still has local rumormongers whispering furiously.

In a scant seven days, Paracount Thrune has instituted martial law, a curfew, and seven outlandish and polarizing proclamations. These actions and more have called many of Kintargo's dissatisfied citizens here on this overcast morn.

There's been no sign yet of Barzillai Thrune himself, and the opera house's doors remain tightly closed—as they have since the man chose the landmark as his new home—but judging by the growing sound of the protesters, he surely can't ignore the scene on the streets below much longer. A stern-looking woman (played by Carrie-Anne Moss) does stand at the door of the opera house, however, clearly keeping her eye out for anyone that gets too out of line. She is flanked by a half-dozen guards on either side, all holding steel shields, heavy maces, and dour expressions - these are the Dottari Guard, Kintargo's guards and wardens, all clad in the black and crimson of House Thrune.

____________________
Please describe how you arrive at the protest: Where are you coming from? Who are you with? When was your last meal / beverage? Are you sober (I'm looking at you, Alexite)? What do others see when you arrive?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Human
Courtly Hunter 1:
[HP 19/19] [AC 16; T 13; FF 13] [Fort +4; Ref +6; Will +3] [Init +3]
Ruina:
[HP 20/20] [AC 15; T 13; FF 12] [Fort +5; Ref +5; Will +2]
Personal Gear

Sara walked the cobblestone street of Kintargo, heading towards the opera house. She felt a tightness in her chest as she got closer,
wishing it wasn't her there now, but someone needed to go. She sighs and thinks back to what she could have done differently to not have been here.

----------

"I've caught wind of protest going down tomorrow, outside the opera house," Sara told Father Ruix. The portly man had a calm demeanor and a kind smile. One could find it hard to believe that he was priest of Ragathiel, the God of Vengeance. Ruix stood in a kitchen, preparing the evenings meals for all who sought it. Sara stood a few feet away, bow slung over her shoulder and her hand tightly gripping the sling to her quiver.

"You should go. Thrune's making it difficult to take care of the people here. We can't even make some of the medicine anymore thanks to his mint ban while others have become sleep deprived since they can't drink chamomile tea. He's not making things better and you need to show him how to do it better."

Father Ruix said nothing, only minded to his cooking. After a moment he spoke keeping his eyes to ensure the food didn't burn. "You are angry," He started.

"And you're not? Thrune is killing these people," Sara cut in.

"I am upset, yes, but he has not stopped us. He does not prevent us from helping all those who seek help. He makes it difficult and tests us, that is all. We must simply find new ways to help. I feel going to this protest is foolish, though I will not stop you if you choose. Just be careful, you walk the line of vengeance and while Ragathiel may still guide you, it is a path that only leads towards more pain.

----------

"It's too late now," Sara muttered under her breath. Ruina, her faithful hound looked up at her, amber eyes filled with a sense of knowing. She rubbed Ruina behind her ears and smiled. She stood among others in the crowd outside the opera house. She could see the dottari and swallowed. She simply stood there, silent for a moment before raising her own voice among the others in a joint cry of protest.

Sara's coming in from the Redroof, so the east i think. She hasn't eaten anything, her nerves won't let her. Same goes for liquid courage. Her last meal would have been the beef stew Ruix was making the previous night. As for what they see, a simple girl with a bow slung over her shoulder with quiver and her hound next to her.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Human (Chelaxian) Cad 2
Stats:
HP: 12/18 | AC/T/FF: 15/12/13 | F+4 R+2 W-1 (+0 vs. mind-aff.; +1 vs. mind-aff. with alcohol) | CMD: 17 (18 vs. grapple/trip/steal/bull rush, 19 vs. disarm, 20 vs. dirty trick)

Alexite wakes up on the second day of Rova in his apartment in Old Kintargo in his usual state: badly hungover, unshaven, and crabby. Rolling off of his cot and onto the floor with a thud, he stares blearily around his cramped quarters before remembering:

"The protest's today!"

He leaps to his feet, sways for a second as he fought to steady himself, then rushes about the room, stowing small daggers on his person and buckling on his old, battered leathers. After a brief moment of internal debate, he does buckle on his longsword and dueling dagger, wearing them visible for everyone to see at his waist. As he prepares to go out, he keeps up a steady stream of muttered commentary to himself:

"Move on in and tell us what we should all grow, eh? Eh? I think not, you devil-loving Thrune ass! Why, I put up with all the other proclamations because I figured, 'Why bother?' But now? With the seventh? That accursed, blasted Seventh that seeks to rip the very BREAD FROM OUT OF OUR MOUTHS? You have gone too far, Thrune, TOO FAR! And I have just the thing to show you!"

Scrambling under a small pile of cracked and dirty dishes, Alexite (still staggering) gropes about until he feels his secret weapon hidden at the back of the table. A grin breaks out over his face as he pulls out...a small, slightly diseased-looking bundle of molding mint.

"AHAHAHAHAHA! I'll show you, Paracount! Deny us our mint, will you? I'll make sure you never forget Kintargan mint!" Chortling, he tucks the mint into his belt pouch and makes his way onto the streets.

Alexite makes his way quickly through the streets, weaving comfortably in and out of the crowd. He slows when he gets close to Aria Park, and finds a small tavern a block or so away at which to grab a dish of stew and a drink--just ale, since he wants to keep his head relatively straight. He watches the people head toward the park with grim satisfaction.

"Knew I wasn't the only one mad about the mint thing," he mutters. "Ahhhhh, it's a good day for a protest!" Draining his tankard, he stands, stretches, and heads into the Park. Raising a clenched fist, he adds his voice to the masses:

"DOWN WITH THRUNE! DOWN WITH THRUNE!" In a break in the chanting, he also throws in: "AND REMEMBER THE SEVENTH!"

Physically, Alexite is a slender but sturdily built young man with dark hair and eyes who bears a loose resemblance to Luke Evans. He wears battered and frequently stained leather armor, and carries a dagger on one hip and a longsword on the other. On the off chance he gets patted down, the inspector might find three more daggers, hidden one in each sleeve and one at his thigh:

Sleight of Hand 1: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24
Sleight of Hand 2: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10
Sleight of Hand 3: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18


2 people marked this as a favorite.
F Half orc Alchemist 1 AC 16 Will: 1 Reflex: 6 Fort: +3 Bombs 3/4 Mutagen: HP 7/17

Nerris calmly takes inventory of all of her medical supplies. Bandages and thread for cuts. Splints for broken bones. Assorted herbs and medical supplies for any possible outcome. Throwing it into her bag she sighs deeply.

"Are you sure you want to go? There is a good chance its going to be dangerous.," Quinn says while sitting next to her.

"Yes. Its precisely why I want to go. If there is a chance of people getting hurt I want to be there to help them. Im not going to back down," she says while throwing the bag over her back.

Quinn just shrugs and replies,"Can't say I wouldn't have done the same thing when I was younger. Just make sure you say goodbye to the kid before you go."

Nerris freezes. She forgot that today is the day she normally spends time with Sally. Exiting her office she sees Sally playing with her teddy bear. "Hey I know today is the day we normally go out to play but I have to do something important. I promise what you I will make it up to you. Just think about what you want to do when you get back," she says kissing her on the head.

Seeing the girl's eyes grow wide at the statement and says,"I want candy."

Nerris shrugs and says,"You know what. We can go get candy before I go."


You see a rather congenial half-orc that is approaching from the office the dockside. She seems bizarrely calm and happy compared to the stereotypical half-orc and is chewing on a lollipop. Her last meal was candy.


Elf Infiltrator2 l hp13, AC16; T13; FF13 l F +0, R +5, W +2 l 3/5 Inspiration l

Standing in the alley upstreet from the protest, Orrias scans the crowd--and more importantly, the guards and the rooftops. This Barzillai Thrune's pronouncements were like something the villain of a children's tale might come up with--capricious and petty, but no one climbed as high as Barzillai had in either the Church of Asmodeus or the ruling house of Cheliax if they weren't ruthless and cunning. Stroking his chin, he murmurs his thoughts aloud, a bad habit that has worsened since Alliran isn't around to point it out anymore.

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20 Checking rooftops and alleys as well as the crowd for Thrune allies who might not be in uniform.

"What are you playing at, Barzillai? Provoking protests as an excuse for a show of force? A little ham-handed for your first month in power, but I don't have any other cards to play, so join the farce it is."

Checking the pockets of his cloak and tunic, he adjusts the strap of his courtblade's baldric and steps out onto the street, molding his face into the very picture of haughty, righteous anger. Stepping to the back of the crowd, he shouts along with the crowd while scanning the heads for a particular woman. White bandana with a red rose pattern, shouldn't be hard to find, no? Blast it, Tira, I wish you were taller.

This elf is not tall, with shoulder-length brown hair pulled back in a ponytail and well-made but worn traveling clothes. The hilt of an elven curveblade can be seen despite the cloak throw across his shoulders, and whatever his expression his eyes are always on the move in constant calculation.


Male Halfling Sorcerer 2, AC 13 (T 13, FF 11), CMD 10; Fort +1, Ref +3, Will +7; +4 on all Fear saves; Init +2, Perception +2, HP 11/11 Sorcerer 2

Pip terribly misses Songbird Hall, but he puts the thought out of mind.

”A frown simply won’t do today - or any day, for that matter,” he thinks to himself.

He sits beneath a tree in Aria Park, sweating and panting.
The walk northward from his tenement in Old Kintargo never seems longer than when carrying a box full of supplies in his arms, a pack on his back, and a banner pole balanced like a lance over his shoulder.

Seemingly, he has already squandered the extra energy saved by sleeping at home in an actual bed. His usual routine is to fall asleep atop a desk at Crissali’s. He forgot how different a pillow was from a leather-bound tome under his ear.

”At least I didn’t have Nandy pants screaming about me drooling on a first edition.”

Normally he claims that sleep deprivation sharpens his wit. He’d told this to so many people who worried for him: Soria, Nandy, both sets of parents. However, for such an important performance, even Pip tosses aside his own fib.

The time spent recovering his breath gives him a chance to settle on a stage, mentally rehearse his material, and choke back his anxiety. This unruly mob is quite different from the usual park visitors he performs for, let alone the familiar faces at Songbird Hall and Crissali’s Fine Tomes. Such an audience demands more than simple jokes like ”What do you get when you combine an auroch and a hydra? An invitation to join the Transmuter’s Guild.”

Pip lays out his blanket and turns his box over to serve as a platform. He had originally decided against performing under a tree, but now he feels too lazy to move his supplies.

He taps a hand against his belt pouch, remembering the potion Soria gave him along with the banner. She had promised it would help him out, but Pip wanted to try this on his own, first. How much was the potion worth? It could provide enough coin to ease his parents' life of servitude for months. Then again, Soria would never forgive him for disregarding her gift.

Pip raises his banner pole, struggling mightily to plant it in the soil on the path’s edge, and he is committed.

The banner hangs limply, prompting Pip to wish for a breeze to kick up. Soria and some of their other friends at Songbird Hall had sewn and dyed the banner for this occasion. The field was plain blue, embroidered with a silver bird. The color is meant to appeal to these fellow residents of the Silver City, while the bird’s subtle design offers homage to Shelyn without being too obvious to the Asmodeans.

Pip climbs atop his box and surveys the crowd that has grown over the past ten minutes. He sees many humans, the odd elf, and even an erudite-looking half-orc. Just as he manages to swallow the lump in his throat, a bitter realization rises up from the pit of his stomach.

”Oh lubberwort, I forgot to eat anything. Soria won’t let me forget this one after she specifically warned me. Well, too late now.”

He gathers his breath and projects his voice as learned from many voice lessons among the Shelynites. However, those lessons had been meant for entrancing lyrics, epic poems, and singing voices that bordered on unearthly, not the prose barbs Pip was about to offer. This ironic perversion restored Pip’s smile, just what he needed to begin.

”Friends and neighbors of the Silver City, please hear my story of woe. Just last night, while returning home to Old Kintargo after work, I was set upon by a terrible new villain. He seized me by the throat, struck me atop the head, and flung me against a wall. After I was thoroughly thrashed, he robbed me of every last pinch and sail. As he walked away, cackling, I asked him why and who he was to do such terrible things."

“My friends, do you know what he said? With a demonic glint in his eye and a devilish grin, he spoke: ‘My name is Mint, and I am the scourge of Kintargo.’”

“People of Kintargo, keep vigilant against the terror of Mint. Such a frightful foe, this Mint. Surely only the might of the Dottari Guard can protect us against Mint.”

Perform (Comedy): 1d20 + 7 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 7 + 2 = 26

Continuing his act, Pip silently prays that the irony of his fabricated story is not lost on the crowd of protesters. For his family's sake, he also hopes they did not leave their purses or generosity at home.

Standing atop the box, you see a halfling with unruly dark hair. His chin and nose create a sharp, almost avian profile. He wears colorful clothes that barely avoid violating the Fourth Proclamation, forbidding the wearing of fine embroidery. A sling is looped over his belt, and a dagger is tucked under a fold in the fabric.


F Half orc Alchemist 1 AC 16 Will: 1 Reflex: 6 Fort: +3 Bombs 3/4 Mutagen: HP 7/17

Nerris approaches Pip with a slight smile on her face. She says,"You know under better circumstances my daughter would enjoy your performance. She does nothing but tell jokes all the time...."

She takes out a gold piece and hands it to him.


I forgot to add she's fairly short and not very muscular. She is wearing a simple dress and has a shawl with skeletons over it.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Cad 2
Stats:
HP: 12/18 | AC/T/FF: 15/12/13 | F+4 R+2 W-1 (+0 vs. mind-aff.; +1 vs. mind-aff. with alcohol) | CMD: 17 (18 vs. grapple/trip/steal/bull rush, 19 vs. disarm, 20 vs. dirty trick)

Alexite is also attracted by the halfling's performance. At first he's puzzled, but once he grasps the joke he laughs loudly at the narrative. Approaching Pip as well, he calls out, "Well said, my friend! We must all be cautious of this villainous...uh...villain!" Still chuckling, he tosses a silver piece toward Pip.

What can I say, he's cheap.


F Tiefling Inquisitor(Heretic)-2 | HP 15/15 | AC17 T13 FF14 CMD 14 | F+4 R+3 W+6 | Init+6 Perception+7, darkvision | Special: Resist Fire/Cold/Electric 5, -5 to be tracked

Indra had decided to go to the protest for multiple reasons. She hated the Thrunes and what they had done to this country. That was reason enough. But she rarely felt like protests really accomplish anything, particularly with the Thrunes. Then there were the ridiculous nature of Barzillai's proclamations. The ban on night tea and mint would actually cut into her business. Who did this joker think he was? And on top of everything, he had taken over and closed the opera house... insult to injury, indeed.

No, all of that was worthy of protest, but Indra was here looking for Shensen. She hadn't seen her in days and was worried. She laughed for a moment despite herself. It wasn't like her to worry about anyone really. But Shensen was one of those special people. She had been kind to Indra, asking nothing in return. If the Thrunes have hurt her, I'll flay the very skin from their bones. I would do that anyway, but I'll REALLY make them suffer.

She had worn a bit of leather armor, just in case, and wrapped a dark cloak about her. She had brought along her whip and a few daggers. Better safe than sorry.

The crowd had already gathered. She hated moving through crowds. You never know who you'll have to touch. She sighed and moved forward.

A tallish blue woman with long black hair and a sneer moves into the crowd covered mostly by a dark cloak. Her short horns and bony projection above her eyes (not too mention the blue skin) mark her as most likely a tiefling. Despite those features, she is a fairly attractive woman. The hint of a tail darts under the hem of the cloak from time to time. She snickers as she hears the comedian talking about mint. Knowing the Thrunes, she wonders if the halfling will be dead before the sun sets.


Pip's jokes get a big laugh from those nearby, and several more protesters drop coins for you - 15 more silver pieces, to be exact.

As the hours wear on, more and more citizens press into the area, filling the entirety of the park in front of the city's legendary Opera House. The guards on the steps appear nervous and edgy, but so far the protest remains peaceful. You hear some voices in the crowd calling for their new lord-mayor to lift his unreasonable restrictions, while others call for an end to foreign rule and demand a proper election to determine Lord-Mayor Bainilus’s successor. The majority of the protesters seem content merely to yell and agitate, airing their grievances, but a growing minority show their unabashed support of Barzillai Thrune by arguing back at the protesters.

As you listen to the voices represented, you realize that there are likely five "factions" (though the term seems a little strong at this point) among those gathered. The crowd appears to consist of Kintargo partisans (who despise Cheliax’s tightening grip on their city and demand local rule); economic conservatives (who feel the squeeze as Thrune enacts new taxes and business policies); advocates of democracy (whose bitterest complaint is Thrune’s appointment instead of legal election); anarchists (who hope the protest turns into a good riot); and Chelish loyalists (who support Thrune’s actions to curb the city’s dissentious streak).

As the protest continues, how do you participate in the protest? What are you doing if you just step back and observe what is happening? Please use the spoiler below to 1) declare a type of action, 2) make an appropriate skill check, and 3) describe what your character does to try and play out this skill check result.

Choose from these Protest Actions:

Here are actions you can take during the protest. Each action takes one hour to perform, and the crowd doesn't appear to be going anywhere for a few hours, at least.

Listen for Rumors: Anyone wandering the crowd can listen for rumors and learn more about what's going on in Kintargo's new political landscape. Make a Diplomacy check to gather information or a Perception check to overhear conversations.
Reward: Learn a rumor about what's going on in Kintargo.

Pilfer: Criminal-minded characters can use the large gathering to line their pockets, lifting purses or goods from the street vendors by succeeding at a Sleight of Hand check.
Remember: The Hell's Rebels Players Guide states that there is a -2 penalty to Sleight of Hand checks made to pick pockets, due to the city's Crime modifier (Pg 16).
Reward: 1d6 GP worth of coins or other small objects.

Rabble Rouse: Persuasive characters may want to better organize the protest by attempting a Diplomacy or (appropriate/well explained) Perform check.
Reward: Recognition by other inhabitants of the city, along with a +1 circumstance bonus on any Charisma-based checks for the next 24 hours (cumulative)

Search for a Contact: You make a Perception check to search the protest for a mysterious contact said to be wearing a black leather glove on his right hand and no glove at all on the left.
Reward: You make contact and have a meeting with your target.

Silence Undesirable Elements: With five distinct factions among the protesters, the message delivered is a jumbled mess. Characters can try to silence or outshout elements of the crowd they disagree with by making a Bluff or Intimidate check.
Reward: That group's message is silenced or oppressed for the duration of the protest.

Watch the Crowd: The PCs can simply choose to watch the crowd for anything unusual. A PC who does so can attempt a Perception or Sense Motive check.
Reward: Varies, depending on result.

What do each of you do? There will be three "rounds" of this kind of interaction at the protest - feel free to post one at a time, or all at once. Ask if you have questions!


F Half orc Alchemist 1 AC 16 Will: 1 Reflex: 6 Fort: +3 Bombs 3/4 Mutagen: HP 7/17

Nerris sighs. She can sympathize with a large amount of them except for the anarchists and the loyalists. While she isn't against fighting for a purpose violence for the sake of violence never seemed to agree with her. And well she isn't willing to compromise on the fact that anyone favorable towards Thrune is probably evil. Shaking the thoughts of politics aside she pulls her bag closer and starts to scan for any signs of trouble.

Perception
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18

After scanning for an hour she grows further frustrated with the anarchists. Deciding to tell them to knock it off she approaches and tries to look as intimidating as possible. Not expecting much she is strangely surprised by her attempt.

Intimidate
1d20 ⇒ 15

Feeling a bit more confident she decides to try and do the same to the loyalists. After approaching them she gets nervous says,"I uhhh.... I uhhhh..... uhhh... Its a nice day isn't it."


Intimidate
1d20 ⇒ 5


F Tiefling Inquisitor(Heretic)-2 | HP 15/15 | AC17 T13 FF14 CMD 14 | F+4 R+3 W+6 | Init+6 Perception+7, darkvision | Special: Resist Fire/Cold/Electric 5, -5 to be tracked

Indra begins searching the crowd as methodically as possible, trying to locate Shensen or hear anyone speaking about her. After a while, she begins to wonder if this is hopeless. There's just so many people here.
Perception: 1d20 + 7 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 7 + 2 = 25

After spending some time searching, she decides that she just can't stomach the "loyalists" anymore. It's one thing to not want to cause trouble, but it is quite another to advocate for this sham of a government. The Thrunes will ruin Kintarjo, just like they have the rest of Cheliax. She makes sure that some of the loudest among their rabble receiver her iciest stares.
Intimidate: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (14) + 12 = 26

Assuming the reactionary voices are somewhat cowed
Indra is feeling overwhelmed by the shear number of people. She decides to back off just a bit to try and take in the whole crowd and get a sense of which way the "weather" is trending.
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 8 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 8 + 2 = 19


Female Human
Courtly Hunter 1:
[HP 19/19] [AC 16; T 13; FF 13] [Fort +4; Ref +6; Will +3] [Init +3]
Ruina:
[HP 20/20] [AC 15; T 13; FF 12] [Fort +5; Ref +5; Will +2]
Personal Gear

As the protest continues she notices that not everyone is present for the same reason, some have their own agendas that they're trying to push. While she can sympathize with some, others disgust her. She tries for a moment to better organize them into a more unified pressence.

diplomacy: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9

After giving up on that, she quits down and listens to other's speak around her for a few minutes.

perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14

It was now that she realized that others felt similar to her, overhearing a half-orc talk down some trouble makers while being slightly unnerved by those loyal to Thrune. She can't keep herself still and moves to aid her.

bluff: 1d20 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 + 2 = 14 second +2 is for me being there to protest the government.

Hoping to have done a better job at talking down some of the loyalist with carefully placed fibs and other truth stretching, she turns to the half-orc.

"You should be more careful with who you pick try to fights with. Not everyone will be bored kids like that other lot," Sara says, before realizing she was being a bit more stern that she meant.

"Sorry. Just a bit on edge right now. I'm Sara and this is Ruina," She says before giving Ruina a gentle pat on the head. Ruina looked at the half-orc the way she did when she was examining a person, as if judging their worth. When she made no inclination, Sara knew there was no hidden malice behind her. Ruina was an excellent judge of character.


Elf Infiltrator2 l hp13, AC16; T13; FF13 l F +0, R +5, W +2 l 3/5 Inspiration l

Action 1:

Orrias carefully scans the crowd for his contact with Kintargo's dissidents, or failing that Tira (perhaps hoping they're one and the same), glancing at the hands of every person he passes by.

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13

Action 2:

As he weaves through the press of bodies, the elf keeps his eyes and ears peeled for anything of interest, paying particular attention to speakers who seem to be Kintargo partisans, pro-democracy agitators, or Thrune sympathizers.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20

Action 3:

After a quarter hour of mishmash arguments and dreary illogic, Orrias sighs heavily and shoulders his way into the largest knit of Kintargo partisans. "Friends, friends!" he calls, quieting the group enough to allow them all to hear him. "Kintargo yearns to be free! I know it, you know it, and most importantly House Thrune knows it, so we must proceed carefully. Organization and clarity of purpose are out allies here; we must seek out like-minded individuals and train ourselves, for the ouster of Thrune will require careful planning..."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13


Male Halfling Sorcerer 2, AC 13 (T 13, FF 11), CMD 10; Fort +1, Ref +3, Will +7; +4 on all Fear saves; Init +2, Perception +2, HP 11/11 Sorcerer 2

Action 1, Rabble Rouse:

Pip pauses his performance to catch his breath and assess the situation. He finds the voices in the crowd assembling into factious choruses. He hears them spout a lot of the same sentiments that often prompt Crissali to kick folks out of the bookstore.

The anarchists and loyalists...well, very little frightened Pip, and they certainly are not up to the task of scaring the halfing lad. He more so finds them simply repugnant. Too often such elements devolve into talk of “punting slips,” either to put his kind in their place, evict them from the city entirely, or just to torment them.

”Now, now, my friends!” he calls to the dividing crowd. ”Let’s be civil. Haven’t you ever heard the one about the unruly mob - it was a real riot! There’s no need to bare teeth at each other like animals. We need to agree that the House of Thrune is protecting us, really. They’re saving us from the woe of spilling tea on our nicely embroidered clothes while the stray dogs laugh at how silly we look. When you get right down to it, there’s much we can all rally behind. Just look at those brave Dottari over yonder. In their red and black armor, don’t they look just as sharp as a painting of Queen Abrogail herself?”

Rabble Rouse, Perform: 1d20 + 7 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 7 + 2 = 20

Action 2, Listen for Rumors:

”I had best step down now before the fruit starts flying or someone hates me enough to risk an entire week’s wage and hurl a fistful of grain at me. Thank you, Kintargo!”

Pip steps down from his box, blowing kisses to the crowd - particularly to the loyalists.
He collects the coins people tossed to him, lest the pilferers show up for an encore, and wrests the banner pole from the ground.

He sidles up beside a cluster of people and pleasantly chats them up, looking for good news to brighten the gray day.

Listen for Rumors, Diplomacy: 1d20 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 3 + 2 = 12

Action 3, Silence Undesirable Elements (Anarchists):

Not too far off, he espies the half-orc woman who dropped an entire gold sail on his blanket. Her generosity is far more memorable to Pip than her greenish skin, so he resolves to offer his thanks.

Along the short walk, however, he runs afoul of a stray group of anarchists.

”Funny jokes, ya’ slip. Know what would be funny? Seeing how far I could toss ya!”

Pip turns to the fellow and his friends with a growing beneficent smile.

”I’m sorry that my size troubles you. I may not stand tall, but I pride myself on at least standing for something.”

Pip turns on his heel and hastens his step, escaping any vengeful, grasping hands and leaving nearby partisans and advocates to chuckle at the anarchists’ embarrassment.

Silence Anarchists, Bluff: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10


Male Halfling Sorcerer 2, AC 13 (T 13, FF 11), CMD 10; Fort +1, Ref +3, Will +7; +4 on all Fear saves; Init +2, Perception +2, HP 11/11 Sorcerer 2

Pip chuckles, thinking his wit has dressed down the anarchists. He soon sees, however, that it was the approach of the generous half-orc woman from before that cows the anarchists.

"Good day, miss. Thank you kindly for your contribution to my obtuse arts. My family, especially, thanks you," he says with a bow that almost touches his unkempt hair to the cobblestones. "We have quite a crowd here, today. I haven't seen such so many angry, shouting people outside the opera house since it hosted the Miss Lamashtu Beauty Pageant. I just hope the ones with their hearts in the right place can also get their heads in the same neighborhood"

Pip cocks an eyebrow towards the democracy advocates. He finds their appeal for democracy as sweet as an Andoran pie, but hopes they intend to share.

New Action 3, Rabble Rouse to Organize Advocates of Democracy:

"Friends of democracy, please remember that the halflings of Kintargo are with you," Pip calls out. "At least, they would stand with you if they weren't all busy washing your undergarments, walking your dogs, and scrubbing your chamber pots. Give a care to the slips who have served our city so diligently. Representation should not have a height requirement!"

Perform, Comedy: 1d20 + 7 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 7 + 2 = 20


Male Human (Chelaxian) Cad 2
Stats:
HP: 12/18 | AC/T/FF: 15/12/13 | F+4 R+2 W-1 (+0 vs. mind-aff.; +1 vs. mind-aff. with alcohol) | CMD: 17 (18 vs. grapple/trip/steal/bull rush, 19 vs. disarm, 20 vs. dirty trick)

Action 1: Rabble Rouse!
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16

Alexite spends most of the first hour just cheering the crowds along, getting their blood up, and trying to make sure that they're organized in their anti-Thrune (and more importantly, pro-mint) chants.

Action 2: Silence the loyalists (or assist with that, if only one can try it).!
Intimidate: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9 Or 10 if I get the above.

Spotting a small group over to the west that seems to be here to actually support the Thrune leech, Alexite scowls. Pushing his way easily through the crowd, he starts shouting at the group: "You gutless, spineless...worthless...pieces of...slime!" Unfortunately some other protesters, seeing that he's a little bit buzzed, apprehend him and manage to keep him away from the loyalists so that he can't get into a fistfight with them.

Action 3: Rabble rouse some more!
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15

Disgruntled, Alex turns back to the bulk of the crowd. He has no quarrel with any of the rest of the group, but if he can't quash the loyalists he'll rouse the others against them! He begins to chant: "Hey Thrunists! Hey, ho! Kintargo wants...you to go!"


F Half orc Alchemist 1 AC 16 Will: 1 Reflex: 6 Fort: +3 Bombs 3/4 Mutagen: HP 7/17

Nerris blushes at having witnesses to her blunder. Adding to the embarrassment was the fact that someone all accomplished her goals. Looking at Saraphim she says,"I know... Im not sure what I was thinking. Everyone always told me I was as intimidating as a kitten."

Looking at Ruina she ponders the wolf. She gives the wolf a gentle pat and walks off.
Knowledge Arcana???: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18

Upon bumping into Pip and hearing what he has to say she smiles. "Thank you. Please tell me when your next performance is. I wasn't joking when I said my daughter would enjoy your performance.," she says.

After enjoying the conversations with the two she then decides to meander about and talk with other protesters.
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15


Female Human
Courtly Hunter 1:
[HP 19/19] [AC 16; T 13; FF 13] [Fort +4; Ref +6; Will +3] [Init +3]
Ruina:
[HP 20/20] [AC 15; T 13; FF 12] [Fort +5; Ref +5; Will +2]
Personal Gear

As the half orc leaves, Sara turns her attention back on thr protesters. The most unruly seemed to have been cowed but one can never be to certain.

watch the crowds, perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8


Most posts will not be this long, or I’ll only post once a week! :)

Protest - Hour 1

Nerris listens intently to the crowd, trying to keep abreast of the currents of the situation...Most posts will not be this long, or I’ll only post once a week! :)

Protest - Hour 1

Nerris listens intently to the crowd, trying to keep abreast of the currents of the situation...

Nerris picks up a rumor...:

“If ye ask me,” the burly dockworker says to no one in particular, "Bainilius didn’t go to no Arcadian colony. Broke her neck falling down a flight of stairs after prayin' too hard to Chilean, if you get me meaning!"

Indra searches and searches for Shensen, but the opera star is nowhere to be found in the horde of protesters. It’s clear to her that the crowd is agitated and discontent, and while they aren’t overtly violent, there’s clearly something at work - a subcurrent in the crowd’s movement - that points to an organizing force among the people. However, what catches your attention most is a pickpocket, trying to make off with the coin pouch of a slight woman, wearing a white bandana with a rose patterned on it, that has her attention more on the crowd around her than on her purse strings. You can tell me how you would respond to seeing this situation develop: do you confront the would-be thief, bring the act to the attention of the Dottari, or just tell the young woman that she’s about to lose some money?

Sara listens for a time to the crowd, but each conversation keeps drawing her attention and she can’t quite focus on one particular thread to catch a specific rumor of interest. (Check insufficient to get helpful information.)

Orrias searches and searches, but there’s just too many people in the park, unaware that Tara is being targeted by a pickpocket at that very moment... (Check insufficient to get helpful information.)

Pip stirs up the crowd, drawing a laugh from all gathered nearby, but also a few nods from those who can appreciate your strong voice in such a setting. When you hop down again, people give way in front of you, making sure that such a well-spoken halfling gets where he needs to go. [occ](You get a +1 to Charisma based skill checks for the next 24 hours. In addition, for the remainder of the protest, the people in the crowd know to give way to you and let you pass more freely through the throng.[/ooc]

Alexite works the crowd like a mascot for all the disaffected people of the city, encouraging, cajoling, and supporting everyone he meets. The people respond favorably to this disaffected son of mint farmers (though no one is up for putting in an order for the leaves just yet). [occ](You get a +1 to Charisma based skill checks for the next 24 hours.[/ooc]

- - - - - - - - - -

Protest - Hour 2
Once fed up with the anarchists, Nerris manages to take on one of their chief rabble-rousers, silencing him by her presence, perhaps shaming him? He is clearly off put by the presence of a doctor in the midst of the protest, one obviously concerned that their actions will simply lead to innocents being hurt or wounded. Slowly, that group diminishes the voracity of their protests. Anarchists Calmed - this has a positive benefit later in the game!

Similarly, Indra finds a loud voice among the loyalists, and stands right between him and the opera house, fixing him with an icy stare that clearly unnerves him and quiets his counter-protests of the other factions. Alexite steps up as well, and though his words are somewhat weak, his earlier rabble-rousing carries a little extra weight with the overall mood of the protest. The loyalists are thoroughly put out by this joint display, and some simply walk to the edges of the crowd. Loyalists Calmed - this has a positive benefit later in the game!

Sara listens and listens to the concerns of others, but at this point it’s mostly just locals venting their anger, not offering concrete leads for her to work on. (Check insufficient to get helpful information.)

Orrias catches interesting tidbits of information here and there, and pieces together an interesting lead...

Orrias hears a rumor:

A concerned merchant from the Bleakbridge market suggests to her friend, “Take care traveling alone at night in Redroof or Temple Hill. The gangs there are getting restless, and they say the Red Jills' boss has gone some sort of crazy.”

Pip chats up some of the locals listens to their concerns, but they aren’t as interested in making small talk about the rumors circulating in the city right now. Most are wondering just when the new Lord Mayor will actually respond to the protest. (Check insufficient to get helpful information.)

- - - - - - - - - -

Protest - Hour 3
Nerris makes a mental note to see if she can examine this woman’s wolf later, but must content herself for now to simply chat up more of the locals.

Nerris hears a rumor...:

A concerned looking young man confides with her, ”I hear the dottari guard towers are so full of prisoners now they're keeping those they arrest in warehouses. My cousin even said they're putting prisoners to work in places like Sallix Salt Works.”

Indra, starting to feel the weight of so many people in one place, backs off and tries to get a better sense of what’s going on in the community, and sees yet another cutpurse attempting to make off with the coins of a bystander, this time a young tiefling woman with large, curling horns that protrude from her forehead. After a moment, you recognize her as Zea, another sometimes-denizen of the Devil’s Nursery. Similarly, how do you react to this event - call the guard? Confront the thief yourself? Warn Zea or let her fall prey to the pickpocket?

Pip finds himself roundly praised by the collection of humans who are there - obviously enlightened individuals who would never consider anything less than total freedom and fair wages for all. It also sways a few of those who look like they benefit from the services of the small folk - and everyone starts giving you a little more space to hear you out. (You gain an additional +1 to Charisma based skill checks for the next 24 hours, binging your total bonus to +2.)

Orrias’ words of calm and careful thought are heard, and though a few folks are interested in hearing more about your ideas, there is a larger interest in Alexite’s chant against Thrune, as it is quickly taken up by the remainder of the crowd. Sara’s attempt to observe the crowd’s behavior yields only a close-up view of this man’s efforts, one which quickly escalates the crowd’s energy after a full three hours of protesting. (Orrias gains a +1 to Charisma based skill checks for the next 24 hours. Alexite gains an additional +1 to Charisma based skill checks for the next 24 hours, binging your total bonus to +2. Sara’s check did not reveal any additional information.)

Nerris picks up a rumor...:

“If ye ask me,” the burly dockworker says to no one in particular, "Bainilius didn’t go to no Arcadian colony. Broke her neck falling down a flight of stairs after prayin' too hard to Chilean, if you get me meaning!"

Indra searches and searches for Shensen, but the opera star is nowhere to be found in the horde of protesters. It’s clear to her that the crowd is agitated and discontent, and while they aren’t overtly violent, there’s clearly something at work - a subcurrent in the crowd’s movement - that points to an organizing force among the people. However, what catches your attention most is a pickpocket, trying to make off with the coin pouch of a slight woman, wearing a white bandana with a rose patterned on it, that has her attention more on the crowd around her than on her purse strings. You can tell me how you would respond to seeing this situation develop: do you confront the would-be thief, bring the act to the attention of the Dottari, or just tell the young woman that she’s about to lose some money?

Sara listens for a time to the crowd, but each conversation keeps drawing her attention and she can’t quite focus on one particular thread to catch a specific rumor of interest.

Orrias searches and searches, but there’s just too many people in the park, unaware that Tara is being targeted by a pickpocket at that very moment...

Pip stirs up the crowd, drawing a laugh from all gathered nearby, but also a few nods from those who can appreciate your strong voice in such a setting. When you hop down again, people give way in front of you, making sure that such a well-spoken halfling gets where he needs to go.

Alexite works the crowd like a mascot for all the disaffected people of the city, encouraging, cajoling, and supporting everyone he meets. The people respond favorably to this disaffected son of mint farmers (though no one is up for putting in an order for the leaves just yet).

- - - - - - - - - -

Protest - Hour 2
Once fed up with the anarchists, Nerris manages to take on one of their chief rabble-rousers, silencing him by her presence, perhaps shaming him? He is clearly off put by the presence of a doctor in the midst of the protest, one obviously concerned that their actions will simply lead to innocents being hurt or wounded. Slowly, that group diminishes the voracity of their protests.

Similarly, Indra finds a loud voice among the loyalists, and stands right between him and the opera house, fixing him with an icy stare that clearly unnerves him and quiets his counter-protests of the other factions. Alexite steps up as well, and though his words are somewhat weak, his earlier rabble-rousing carries a little weight. The loyalists are thoroughly put out by this joint display, and some simply walk to the edges of the crowd.

Sara listens and listens to the concerns of others, but at this point it’s mostly just locals venting their anger, not offering concrete leads for her to work on.

Orrias catches interesting tidbits of information here and there, and pieces together an interesting lead...

Orrias hears a rumor:

A concerned merchant from the Bleakbridge market suggests to her friend, “Take care traveling alone at night in Redroof or Temple Hill. The gangs there are getting restless, and they say the Red Jills' boss has gone some sort of crazy.”

Pip chats up some of the locals listens to their concerns, but they aren’t as interested in making small talk about the rumors circulating in the city right now. Most are wondering just when the new Lord Mayor will actually respond to the protest.

Results:-
- Anarchists: Calmed - this has a positive benefit later in the game!
- Loyalists: Calmed - this has a positive benefit later in the game!

- - - - - - - - - -

Protest - Hour 3
Nerris makes a mental note to see if she can examine this woman’s wolf later, but must content herself for now to simply chat up more of the locals.

Nerris hears a rumor...:

A concerned looking young man confides with her, ”I hear the dottari guard towers are so full of prisoners now they're keeping those they arrest in warehouses. My cousin even said they're putting prisoners to work in places like Sallix Salt Works.”

Indra, starting to feel the weight of so many people in one place, backs off and tries to get a better sense of what’s going on in the community, and sees yet another cutpurse attempting to make off with the coins of a bystander, this time a young tiefling woman with large, curling horns that protrude from her forehead. After a moment, you recognize her as Zea, another sometimes-denizen of the Devil’s Nursery. Similarly, how do you react to this event - call the guard? Confront the thief yourself? Warn Zea or let her fall prey to the pickpocket?

Pip finds himself roundly praised by the collection of humans who are there - obviously enlightened individuals who would never consider anything less than total freedom and fair wages for all. It also sways a few of those who look like they benefit from the services of the small folk - and everyone starts giving you a little more space to hear you out.

Orrias’ words of calm and careful thought are heard, but shortly discarded, as Alexite’s chant against Thrune is quickly taken up by the remainder of the crowd. Sara’s attempt to observe the crowd’s behavior yields only a close-up view of this man’s efforts, one which quickly escalates the crowd’s energy after a full three hours of protesting.

Make sure to keep track of all of those bonuses, leads, and other benefits! Next post in a moment. Indra, you can spoiler your reactions to rounds 1 and 3 in your next post, as they don’t have a lot of influence on what comes next.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

GM Screen:

Perception Checks
Alexite: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (2) - 1 = 1
Indra: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18
Nerris: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14
Orrias: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7
Pip: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11
Saraphim: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19

Knowledge (Local)
Alexite: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13 Max 10
Indra: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (18) - 1 = 17 Max 10
Nerris: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17 Max 10
Orrias: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25
Pip: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3 Max 10
Saraphim: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (4) + 0 = 4 Max 10

As the protest's third hour draws to a close, the crowd's tenor has grown increasingly hostile, still calling out Alexite’s chant. At 3 minutes after the third hour, the bells of the Cathedral of Asmodeus ring out three loud peals, though it’s not any hour of note that any of you can discern (those bells have always chimed at odd hours).

A moment later, Barzillai Thrune (played by Jason Statham) throws wide the windows and their curtains to address the crowd below. Thrune is an imposing man dressed in red, orange, and black clothing and an ornate breastplate, all emblazoned with the pentagram of Asmodeus and the cross of Cheliax. Middle-aged, with short, dark hair and a diabolical mace cradled in his hands, the lord-mayor of Kintargo addresses the crowd with a condescending sneer. The gathering swiftly grows quiet as he clears his throat.

“Ah, my adoring little chickadees. I am sorry to say I have not yet adapted to your quaint, country ways, being accustomed as I am to the sophistication and learning of Egorian. Nonetheless, know I have heard your concerns, and that I appreciate your valued feedback, and I know we shall eventually find a mutual understanding in the fullness of time. I take pride in updating Kintargo's quaint, outdated laws to the modern standards the city deserves, and strengthening its ties with the empire in these cruel times, but obviously I have approached my duties too aggressively.

“You say you chafe at the presence of nonnatives in positions of power? That authorities not of this city have no place as its leaders? That you will not be yoked by intruders? Your lord-mayor hears you. And so it is with a heavy heart that I issue this proclamation, in response to your demands: all ships' captains are hereafter barred from leaving their vessels and setting foot on Kintargo docks or streets, under pain of... let's say... squassation!”

None of the other proclamations have yet included torture as a form of punishment, and the crowd is clearly incensed by this new act of imperialism. Most roar defiantly, though some are grinning and nodding at each other.

Orrias:

You know that squassation is a form of torture in which the victim's hands are tied together and raised above the head; the victim is then hung from the hands while a weight is suspended from the feet, causing intense pain to the arms and legs.

How do you respond? Assume you have, say, six seconds to react. :)


Elf Infiltrator2 l hp13, AC16; T13; FF13 l F +0, R +5, W +2 l 3/5 Inspiration l

"That settles it then, he is trying to provoke us," the elf drawls loudly enough for those nearby to overhear. "Some hothead will throw a brick and that'll be excuse enough to bring the hammer down."


F Half orc Alchemist 1 AC 16 Will: 1 Reflex: 6 Fort: +3 Bombs 3/4 Mutagen: HP 7/17

Nerris reaches into her bag and drinks her cognatogen scowling the entire time. She remains silent the entire time and just glares at the people cheering.

Healing Domain Active
-2 penalty to dexterity


1 person marked this as a favorite.
F Tiefling Inquisitor(Heretic)-2 | HP 15/15 | AC17 T13 FF14 CMD 14 | F+4 R+3 W+6 | Init+6 Perception+7, darkvision | Special: Resist Fire/Cold/Electric 5, -5 to be tracked

Hour 1:
Indra is frustrated by her inability to find Shensen. It's bad enough that she has to wade into a crowd. She's worried that Shensen has, in fact, been arrested or killed. Her irritation, however, finds an outlet when she notices a pickpocket trying to make off with a woman's purse. On the one hand, she appreciates his moxie, but she also has a deep disdain for those who prey upon women. And she wants to see what will happen if she disrupts this little game.
"Excuse me," she says to the woman. "You may want to pay better attention to your purse before this little thief makes off with it." She grins malevolently at the pickpocket. Perhaps next time, he'll be more careful of those who could observe him. Or not, she doesn't care.

Hour 2:
She is also somewhat soothed by a brief confrontation with the Thrune loyalists. Cowards, every damn one of them, she muses. She delights to see them sulk away like the curs they are. She chuckles a bit at the partially sober(?) man calling them names; at least he has the guts to stand up to them. She's impressed and claps him on the shoulder as the Thrunies slink away, savoring the warmth from the brief contact. "It's not what you say, it's how you say it." The side of her mouth slides up into a cruel smirk. "Though I've got a few choice words to describe those pathetic Thrune boot-lickers."

Hour 3:
As the protest wears on, she begins feeling a bit overwhelmed by the press of the throng. Indra has moved toward the edge when she sees ANOTHER pickpocket. Oh my, she thinks. Pick-pocketing a tiefling? Perhaps I should inform him that he'll need to split the proceeds with me if he wants to get away unscathed.
It's then that she notices who the target is: Zea. Strea Vestori would want her to help. Of course, Vestori wastes so much time on those who can't help themselves. She sighs inwardly as she steps up behind the thief. Zea probably doesn't have enough coin to make it worth splitting with this wretch anyway. Her icy tail slides around the urchin's throat as she pokes a dagger into his back. "I don't believe that purse belongs to you. What do you think, Zea? What punishment for the parasite?"
Regardless of the answer Zea gives
"You should pay more attention, Zea. There won't always be such... kind-hearted... souls around to watch you back. You owe me one."

After Thrune appears:
Is that even a word? she wonders. While she's not sure what squassation is, it sounds unpleasant. And though she cares little for others being tortured, more proclamations that could potentially hurt her business rouse her anger again. This is exactly the kind of thing I thought would happen. Someday soon, I swear I will shove a bag of mint down his damnable throat! Calistria, hear my prayer!
"Asmodean puppet," she spits. She turns her attention to the crowd, hoping that the protest will turn violent, giving her an excuse to lash out against... well, someone dammit!


Male Halfling Sorcerer 2, AC 13 (T 13, FF 11), CMD 10; Fort +1, Ref +3, Will +7; +4 on all Fear saves; Init +2, Perception +2, HP 11/11 Sorcerer 2

"Well, I don't know about all you, but I'm utterly shocked," Pip wonders aloud to Nerris and any one else standing near. "I never would have guessed that old Bar-zai knew such an elaborate word. Who's been reading him big boy books before bedtime. You? Certainly wasn't me. How about you?"

While he talks, Pip casually unloops his sling from his belt. He idly fidgets and swishes it like a toy, trying his best to appear non-threatening.


@Indra: Hour 1 Follow-Up

The man trembles a bit at your appearance, clearly unnerved. The young woman grabs at her coin purse, and swats a hand at the already-departing thief. "Thank you," she offers, also seeming rather uncomfortable being around you. She counts through her purse, then takes out a gold piece and offers it to you. "In thanks for your assistance - it would have cost me much more if you had not been here to help." Whether you take it or not is up to you - the act seems as much a polite gesture of thanks as one of dismissal.

- - - - - - -

@Indra: Hour 3 Follow-Up

Zea is startled when she sees, you, obviously fully engaged in the protest, then carefully puts up a hand to request peace. "Please, don't hurt her on my account. Just let her go - look," she pulls back the thief's hood and it reveals a young tiefling with scarlet skin and a cropped mohawk of bright gold hair - quite the combination of heritages! "For shame, Sarisha," Zea scolds, obviously familiar with the woman. "We are treated badly enough - don't make it worse."

Sarisha, for her part, looks at you both until your knife is pulled away, then she dashes for the edge of the crowd and disappears into the city. After your words, Zea nods and replies, "I do owe you, yes. I'll find a way to repay you the debt, though today is about more than that, wouldn't you agree? Find me in a few days, when this has all settled down - we haven't shared a cup of tea in a while."


F Tiefling Inquisitor(Heretic)-2 | HP 15/15 | AC17 T13 FF14 CMD 14 | F+4 R+3 W+6 | Init+6 Perception+7, darkvision | Special: Resist Fire/Cold/Electric 5, -5 to be tracked

hour 1:
Indra takes the coin, barely concealing the contempt she holds for this woman dismissing her like some common slip, and thoroughly dismayed at the lack of violence against the would-be thief. She lets loose a throaty growl as she stalks away. Should've let the crook get away with it.

hour 3:
Not one, but two thieves left to slink back into the shadows?! A disappointing day indeed. Ah well, Zea owes her a favor, and she will remember this Sarisha. She may have use for the young woman someday, and now she has something to hold over her.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Cad 2
Stats:
HP: 12/18 | AC/T/FF: 15/12/13 | F+4 R+2 W-1 (+0 vs. mind-aff.; +1 vs. mind-aff. with alcohol) | CMD: 17 (18 vs. grapple/trip/steal/bull rush, 19 vs. disarm, 20 vs. dirty trick)

Alexite is enjoying the protest and his part in stirring it up...until Thrune appears, that is. He listens with growing anger to the pompous speech, until Thrune announces his absurd law against ships' captains. With a bellow, his fingers dip into his belt pouch...and he pulls out the mint.

"Squassate this, you devil-besotted c+@%*#!*$&!"

Ranged Improvised Attack (I don't get Catch Off-Guard till next level): 1d20 + 3 + 2 - 4 ⇒ (5) + 3 + 2 - 4 = 6

Sadly the mint just splats against the front of the building. In fact it barely clears the crowd...


Waiting for Sara, then proceeding.


Female Human
Courtly Hunter 1:
[HP 19/19] [AC 16; T 13; FF 13] [Fort +4; Ref +6; Will +3] [Init +3]
Ruina:
[HP 20/20] [AC 15; T 13; FF 12] [Fort +5; Ref +5; Will +2]
Personal Gear

Sorry, didn't think you were waiting on me...

Sara worked with the people, chanting with everyone over their displeasure. When Thrune himself came out she cocked an eyebrow over the delerious nature of his claims, unwilling to accept that he truely cared that little for the city.

"Does he think he's being cute saying assassination like that?" she says to noone.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Not Orrias' predicted brick, but Alexite's wad of mouldy mint sails through the air towards Barzillai. Though the putrid projectile misses Barzillai's noble personage by a wide margin, striking the wall under his window with a SPLOT, the lord-mayor nonetheless flinches and spills wine across his ornate clothing! With his wardrobe and dignity endangered, the lord-mayor's demeanor shifts from amused to bellicose, and he shrieks, “Enough of this! Nox, run them off, arrest them, or kill them. I don't care which!” before retreating into the opera house and slamming the windows.

Down below, the woman standing at the doors of the opera house immediately mobilizes the dottari, who draw their weapons. At the same time, a half-dozen men and women throughout the crowd pull back their cloaks, revealing matching armbands, truncheons, and the sadistic grins of those eager to mete out some “justice.”

Initiative:

Alexite: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16
Indra: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5
Nerris: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8
Orrias: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4
Pip: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12
Sara: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18
ENEMIES: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (11) + 0 = 11

Round One!
Sara
Alexite
Pip
THRUNE SUPPORTERS
Nerris
Indra
Orrias
NOX

The dottari lock in formation in front of the opera house, and the crowd surges in a panic, scattering in every direction at once. It's madness to try and move anywhere, but in the confusion someone throws a dagger towards the woman guarding the door, and - against all odds - it lodges in her neck!

Sara, Alexite, and Pip are up, followed by the Thrune Loyalists who are picking a fight.

The current tabletop is linked above and here! Note that the entire map is currently difficult terrain for everyone except for Pip (due to protest actions), and Alexite (due to trait choice).

Keep in mind - these are fellow citizens of Kintargo that you are facing off against!


Male Human (Chelaxian) Cad 2
Stats:
HP: 12/18 | AC/T/FF: 15/12/13 | F+4 R+2 W-1 (+0 vs. mind-aff.; +1 vs. mind-aff. with alcohol) | CMD: 17 (18 vs. grapple/trip/steal/bull rush, 19 vs. disarm, 20 vs. dirty trick)

Alexite takes one look at the woman with the dagger in his neck and shakes his head. "That's bad. But--OI! YOU!" Seeing a thug menacing an elderly woman with his truncheon, Alexite bulls his way through the crowd and...

Unarmed Strike (charge): 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 4 + 2 = 11
Damage: 1d3 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6 nonlethal...for now

...swings at the thug! As he pulls back from the blow a dagger appears in his left hand, and he twirls it expertly.

Current AC: 14

Actions:

Full-round: Charge thug 5, drawing dueling dagger en route.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Halfling Sorcerer 2, AC 13 (T 13, FF 11), CMD 10; Fort +1, Ref +3, Will +7; +4 on all Fear saves; Init +2, Perception +2, HP 11/11 Sorcerer 2

"Whoa now, violence is no laughing matter," Pip quips to the rowdy loyalists. "This reminds me of that one time back at the temple. See, at Songbird Hall on a Starday, Soria said she saw Solan's shoes on the sofa, but was she so sure that those were Solan's shoes she saw?"

With his slew of tongue twisters, Pip actually invokes a hypnotic spell to entrance the Thrune supporters.

HD Affected: 2d4 ⇒ (3, 3) = 6 HD's worth of creatures.
Duration: 2d4 ⇒ (2, 2) = 4 rounds

Pip tries to focus his Hypnotism spell on enemies 3, 4, and 6. If they fail a DC 14 Will Save (With a +2 bonus on their roll because we're in combat), they become Fascinated, during which time they act as if 2 stages more friendly to me, and I can make a brief, reasonable request of them

"Now then," Pip instructs those who fall under his spell, "Go sit against that wall and think about what you've done."


Male Human (Chelaxian) Cad 2
Stats:
HP: 12/18 | AC/T/FF: 15/12/13 | F+4 R+2 W-1 (+0 vs. mind-aff.; +1 vs. mind-aff. with alcohol) | CMD: 17 (18 vs. grapple/trip/steal/bull rush, 19 vs. disarm, 20 vs. dirty trick)

My bad: AC is 13, not 14. Dueling dagger only applies with Combat Expertise. Given that, I'm actually not going to draw it.


Female Human
Courtly Hunter 1:
[HP 19/19] [AC 16; T 13; FF 13] [Fort +4; Ref +6; Will +3] [Init +3]
Ruina:
[HP 20/20] [AC 15; T 13; FF 12] [Fort +5; Ref +5; Will +2]
Personal Gear

"No, no, no, no." Sara rattles off quickly as she watches the dottari make their way into the crowds. Ruina steps between Sara and the nearest guards, shoulders arched and ready to strike at anyone who attemps to get close to Sara.

"It wasn't suppose to be like this. What am I suppose to do?" She thinks back ok her teachings given to her by father Ruix but can onky remember Ragatheil's call for vengence on those who abuse their power. That and Ruix's warning.

She inhales deeply before saying under her breath, "I cannot allow him to destroy this city. I will be its protector if I have to," With her mind made up and a heavy heart, she draws her bow and readies it. As the arrow leaves the bow she closes her eyes for a moment, not willong to witness what she has done.

attack vs. 1: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16
damage: 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6

Sara draws for move and attacks. Ruina readies an attack in ase any dottari get close to her. Also i think we need a token for her too, she's in the square directly to the left of Sara. I'll try to hop on my computer and add one.

Ruina's readied attack:

attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13
damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
Ruina's bite can trip does it trip as well as do damage or either or?


Alexite catches the man off guard, but his fist can’t get through the studded leather armor that the Thrune supporter wears.

WILL SAVE #3: 1d20 - 1 + 2 ⇒ (16) - 1 + 2 = 17
WILL SAVE #4: 1d20 - 1 + 2 ⇒ (15) - 1 + 2 = 16
WILL SAVE #6: 1d20 - 1 + 2 ⇒ (13) - 1 + 2 = 14

Though Pip’s words hit well, the three Thrune supporters laugh off his tongue twister and prepare to attack!

When the city dwellers around Sara see her draw her bow and notch an arrow, SCREAMS fill the air in an instant. “Oh, gods, don’t kill anyone!” you hear someone yell, but it’s not easy to discern who made the cry. Your arrow SLAMS home into the woman’s shoulder, and you hear a shriek of pain and rage. “You want blood?! We’ll give you blood!!” she cries.

GM Screen:
ATK #1 vs. Sara: 1d20 + 3 - 4 ⇒ (20) + 3 - 4 = 19
DAM #1 vs. SARA: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4 (Lethal Damage)
Crit Confirm vs. Sara: 1d20 + 3 - 4 ⇒ (11) + 3 - 4 = 10

ATK #2 vs. Sara: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10

NL ATK #3 vs. Pip: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (18) - 1 = 17
NL DAM #3 vs. Pip: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3 (Nonlethal Damage)

NL ATK #4 vs. Pip: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (7) - 1 = 6

NL ATK #5 vs. Alexite: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (11) - 1 = 10

NL ATK #6 vs. Alexite: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (8) - 1 = 7

The woman with the arrow in her shoulder goes after Sara with her light mace. Ruina responds to the woman’s approach with a bite, and tries to trip the woman in the process... Trip: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16...and she falls to the ground!
From the ground, the woman’s weapon smashes into Sara’s foot, and the hunter barely avoids a devastating wound.

The others close in as well, with one blow landing hard on Pip, though that person was still clearly just trying to knock the halfling out.

Sara takes 4 points of lethal damage.
Pip takes 3 points of Nonlethal damage.

Nerris, Indra, and Orrias are up!


Elf Infiltrator2 l hp13, AC16; T13; FF13 l F +0, R +5, W +2 l 3/5 Inspiration l

Sighing, Orrias throws his travelling cloak aside and his slim, elegant curveblade scrapes free of its scabbard. Carefully pushing his way through the crowd he moves in behind one of the Thrune partisans, blade held low but ready. "Step home, bootlicker" he says softly. "I've no love for your or your masters but I'd prefer not to kill anyone today."

Move Action draw sword, Move again to flanking position.


F Tiefling Inquisitor(Heretic)-2 | HP 15/15 | AC17 T13 FF14 CMD 14 | F+4 R+3 W+6 | Init+6 Perception+7, darkvision | Special: Resist Fire/Cold/Electric 5, -5 to be tracked

Indra feels like the questionably sober fellow could use an ally, seeing as he has foes to both sides. She plays out her whip and attempts to trip the Thrune dog behind him(#6).
Whip(Trip): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7
Unfortunately, a bump from someone in the throng sends her attack astray. She glares at the back of the retreating peasant wondering if she should trip him instead.


F Half orc Alchemist 1 AC 16 Will: 1 Reflex: 6 Fort: +3 Bombs 3/4 Mutagen: HP 7/17

Nerris just stares awkwardly at the people in front of her. Sighing she takes out a dagger and swipes at the person in front of her. Surprised by the results she yells,"Wait what just happened?"

Move take out dagger
Dagger nonviolently 1d20 - 6 ⇒ (20) - 6 = 14
Roll to confirm?
1d20 - 6 ⇒ (1) - 6 = -5
For
1d4 - 2 ⇒ (4) - 2 = 2 Nonlethal


Nerris clocks the closes thug's head, surprising both of them!

The passerby that knocked Indra off course gives her a terrified look, then sprints off as quickly as possible to evade the melee growing in the park.

Orrias takes up a defensive position, and, out of the corner of his eye, catches sight of Nox as she reaches up, pulls the dagger out of her neck, gives it a dirty look, and drops it to the ground before stepping inside the opera house, apparently only barely inconvenienced by the wound!

Sara, Alexite, Pip, then Thugs!


Male Human (Chelaxian) Cad 2
Stats:
HP: 12/18 | AC/T/FF: 15/12/13 | F+4 R+2 W-1 (+0 vs. mind-aff.; +1 vs. mind-aff. with alcohol) | CMD: 17 (18 vs. grapple/trip/steal/bull rush, 19 vs. disarm, 20 vs. dirty trick)

Alexite laughs as he dodges the two citizens' blows. "HA! Nice try, Thrune goons, but--hey...I like that! THRUNE GOONS!" Lunging for the man in front of him, he goes for the man's cape, trying to yank it over his eyes...

Dirty Trick vs. #5: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11 Oof. Probably not.

Failing (probably) to get a good grip on the cloak, Alexite shrugs. "Oh well. C'mon, Thrune goons! Chase me!" Ducking, he attempts to dart through the crowd.

Acrobatics vs. CMD+2: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12 *groan*

A panicked pair of schoolchildren suddenly dart into his way, bringing Alexite up short.

Assuming that doesn't beat their CMD, that wastes my move action and gives them both an AoO on me...

ETA: however, AC is back up to 15!

Actions:

Standard: attempt dirty trick on 5
Move: attempt to move away at half speed with Acrobatics to avoid AoOs.


Male Halfling Sorcerer 2, AC 13 (T 13, FF 11), CMD 10; Fort +1, Ref +3, Will +7; +4 on all Fear saves; Init +2, Perception +2, HP 11/11 Sorcerer 2

Pip hops backward, clutching his head and trying to evade the next bout of swinging saps.

He invokes another Hypnotism spell with a limerick seemingly knocked loose from the blow he took.

"That goon walloped my head,
Despite what I just said.
This isn't a lark,
Get out of the park,
And go on home to bed."

HD Affected: 2d4 ⇒ (1, 4) = 5 Hit Dice
Duration: 2d4 ⇒ (2, 2) = 4 rounds

Will Save DC 14 with +2 bonus, targeting enemies 4, 3, and 6.

"Come to think of it, going home might be a good idea for everyone," he calls out to the crowd and the other folks clashing with the thugs.
"If these goons would just take the hint and bugger off, I think we've all had enough of this day in the park."


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Female Human
Courtly Hunter 1:
[HP 19/19] [AC 16; T 13; FF 13] [Fort +4; Ref +6; Will +3] [Init +3]
Ruina:
[HP 20/20] [AC 15; T 13; FF 12] [Fort +5; Ref +5; Will +2]
Personal Gear

"Gods, what was I thinking!" Sara yells at herself in a panic. "Ruina, no! Don't hurt them! We need to get out of here. I'm sorry, I don't know what came over me," She says to the guard she shot. "I promise not to hurt you to much this time, I just can't have you hurting more innocents. She then puts her bow away before drawing out her short sword. The chaos of the crowd has made it too difficult for the bow despite her familiarity with it.

Move to store bow, trading standard for a second move to draw short sword

Ruina up at Sara for a moment before taking a more careful bite out of the fallen guard before falling back with Sara to guard her.

nonlethal bite: 1d20 + 4 - 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 - 4 = 16
nonlethal damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3


2 people marked this as a favorite.

The woman on the ground coughs blood and cackles at Sara. ”Guard? I’m no guard - but I’m a true defender of Cheliax! For Thrune!” Ruina, for her part... “bites gently” (???), knocking the woman unconscious.

Alexite grabs at air when he reaches for the goon’s cloak, and draws himself a pair of swings in the escape attempt...

#5 ATK: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (1) - 1 = 0
#6 ATK: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (3) - 1 = 2

...but their strikes are as far off as his!

Pip tries to rhyme his way out of trouble...

#3 Will Save: 1d20 - 1 + 2 ⇒ (1) - 1 + 2 = 2
#4 Will Save: 1d20 - 1 + 2 ⇒ (2) - 1 + 2 = 3
#6 Will Save: 1d20 - 1 + 2 ⇒ (8) - 1 + 2 = 9

...and all three look at him for a moment, look down at their clubs and the pandemonium around them, and seem to think better of their placement and involvement in the situation! With furtive glances around, they start making their way out of the park with the crowd, and heading towards their homes. Nicely done! With their move speed, they’ll easily depart from the fight area before the spell wears off.

GM Screen:

#2 ATK vs. Sara: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21
#2 DAM vs. Sara: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7

#5 ATK vs. Alexite: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (1) - 1 = 0

The other thug nearest Sara goes after her with his mace, and scores a viscious blow on the young woman’s arm! -7 HP

The man facing off against Alexite can’t quite seem to keep a steady grip on his mace in the midst of the pressing crowd, and utterly botches any attack he might have made. Take heart! It’s not just you. :P

Nerris, Indra, then Orrias. We’ll see if Nox reappears after that!


Female Human
Courtly Hunter 1:
[HP 19/19] [AC 16; T 13; FF 13] [Fort +4; Ref +6; Will +3] [Init +3]
Ruina:
[HP 20/20] [AC 15; T 13; FF 12] [Fort +5; Ref +5; Will +2]
Personal Gear

And i'm down. lol. Ruina's not going to be happy. Should I get started on cooking up a new character?

Sara lets out a cry as the blow strikes her arm and she collapses to the ground, the pain too much for her mind to handle. Upon seeing her fall, Ruina snarls with teeth bared. She stares at the guard waiting for her chance to strike.


Saraphim Castilla wrote:

And i'm down. lol. Ruina's not going to be happy. Should I get started on cooking up a new character?

Sara lets out a cry as the blow strikes her arm and she collapses to the ground, the pain too much for her mind to handle. Upon seeing her fall, Ruina snarls with teeth bared. She stares at the guard waiting for her chance to strike.

Don't break out the 4d6 just yet (not that I'd let you anyway) - unconsciousness and/or death is just a door to the next part of the adventure! Except in this case, that door might - literally - lead to Hell. Plus, your fellow party members can heal in some really interesting ways!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
F Tiefling Inquisitor(Heretic)-2 | HP 15/15 | AC17 T13 FF14 CMD 14 | F+4 R+3 W+6 | Init+6 Perception+7, darkvision | Special: Resist Fire/Cold/Electric 5, -5 to be tracked

Although the inebriated fellow seems perfectly capable of taking care of himself (especially with only a single foe remaining), Indra still feels the need to get out some of her aggression. She shoves her way through the crowd to get a good bead and attempts to trip the remaining goon. Besides, she really liked the 'thrune goon' comment. That deserves a hand.

Whip-Trip: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19

Success:
With a sharp 'crack,' her whip entangles the goon's legs leaving him sprawling on the ground.

lol, watch, he'll have a CMD of 20 :)


F Half orc Alchemist 1 AC 16 Will: 1 Reflex: 6 Fort: +3 Bombs 3/4 Mutagen: HP 7/17

Nerris looks at the halfing and said," Thanks. That makes my life a whole lot easier.

Looking at her fallen compatriot she slowly trudges through the crowd to help her.


Double move towards Saraphim. On phone so I can't move the portrait myself.
Note
I can't heal weirdly until next level. Right now all I have is the healing domain.


Female Human
Courtly Hunter 1:
[HP 19/19] [AC 16; T 13; FF 13] [Fort +4; Ref +6; Will +3] [Init +3]
Ruina:
[HP 20/20] [AC 15; T 13; FF 12] [Fort +5; Ref +5; Will +2]
Personal Gear

i got you fam. let me know if that's good where I have you.


Elf Infiltrator2 l hp13, AC16; T13; FF13 l F +0, R +5, W +2 l 3/5 Inspiration l

"Your friends took their chance to leave, you should have done the same," the elf sounds almost saddened, but there's an edge to his voice as well. When the Thrune partisan drops the woman with the dog his eyes flash in anger and the courtblade flashes soon after.

Attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19 Curveblade: 1d10 ⇒ 1

1 to 50 of 798 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / RESIST - GM Cyrioul's Hell's Rebels - Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.