Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Paizo.com Gift Certificates
On Sale and Clearance!

GM Chadius's Gameday VI: 8-02 Ward Asunder

Game Master chadius


1 to 50 of 191 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>

| 8-02 Ward Asunder |8-05 Ungrounded But Unbroken | (Table 1)| (Table 2) | Sign Up Sheet|

Venture-Captain Amara Li sent you a letter requesting your presence in the far off land known as Dtang Ma:

letter:

Pathfinders,
Very few Pathfinders have found their way to Dtang Ma, and there remain countless ruins and mysteries within the Sikhyeu Rainforest and along the wintry slopes of the Kullan Dei mountains. The resident expert and long-time Pathfinder is known endearingly as Old Pak. In collaboration with another friend of the Society, he has uncovered a very promising lead regarding a temple of Yamatsumi in the nearby Kullan Dei range that’s sure to interest your boundless curiosity. I’ve arranged for you to meet him in Dtang Ma’s capitol Ramparassad.

May your travels bring you fortune, Venture-Captain Amara Li

Has any PCs completed 6-21: Tapestry’s Toil? Did you get the Tanbaru’s Respect boon? Did anyone choose Tanbaru as a familiar?

Feel free to introduce your character in person here. We have plenty of time until we start.

Scarab Sages

LG elf wizard 7 - HP 51/51 [+16 temp hp]- AC 14 / t10 / f14 - F+6, R+4, W+8 (+3 vs spells and SLAs) - Init +4 Per +6

During the journey from Absalom to Dtang Ma, Taika is able to make the acquaintance of the other Pathfinders. She is a pale-skinned and pale-haired elven woman dressed in blues and whites, who has a number of small pouches and bandoliers on her person. Her demeanor is polite, but often somewhat distant. She has little interest in small talk or boisterous cameraderie during the voyage, but instead busies herself crimping wire into delicate necklace chains, or sorting through tiny diamonds to fit them into rings, seeming to have no trouble working with the fine jewelry-making work even when carriages bounce or jounce.

She has a companion, as well. Jal may remember Taika once had a pet rabbit, but there is no sign of the glossy white-furred beast; instead, a carved and painted wooden mask of a howling face rests often in her lap. At some point in the journey, the mask's eyes open! And it greets you in a guttural tone. "WELL MET, MORTALS."

"This is Tanbaru," Taika says calmly. "And I am Taika, a scholar. Hello again, Jal Vaduva."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
| 8-02 Ward Asunder |8-05 Ungrounded But Unbroken | (Table 1)| (Table 2) | Sign Up Sheet|

Think of this post like a movie trailer.
The sound of a mallet bangs into a chisel. Shards of stone scatter as a piece falls out. ”Yes! It is perfect!” The male humanoid cheers and quickly climbs down a set of stone stairs. Two more hooded humanoids join him, presumably looking at the sculpture. The camera pans up the stairs and reveals the face of a scaly, haggard woman. A forked tongue hangs from her mouth. ”For Hsamira!” Their hoods fall off, revealing their scaled, serpentine faces. They fall to their knees and bow in reverence.

Why should I even bother? A female voice whispers. None of the serpent people react. Visitors finally arrive and deface what I must protect. I am so lonely...

Cut to black. Cut straight to a closeup of a grotesque mask, hanging off a wall. ”We are going to Ramparassad?” The mask’s mouth moves and a male voice echoes from it. ”Can you feel the wind? Fate brings me back... to my greatest failure.”

8-02: Ward Asunder

Dark Archive

Usable:
Channel Energy 2/2, Firebolt(7/10)
HP 66/66 | AC 25 | T 14 | FF 24 | CMD 18 | Fort +9 | Ref +4 | Will +13 | Init +5 | Perc +15
Active Effects:
SoF(7m), Resist Fire(14m)

During the journey Elise does not say much, almost like most mortals are beneath her speaking to. When she does speak it is with a somewhat contemptuous tone, although she does smile and give off the appearance that she maybe enjoys talking. She wears red with gold trimmed robes and proudly displays a gold symbol of Asmodeus. Obviously she hails from Cheliax.

"Speak for the others Tanbaru.. Not everyone present is a mortal. Since we have some time on this ride we should set down some rules as to what party member is in charge of what! After all keeping things in line and having set goals is paramount to survival."

She pulls out a piece of parchment and a quill with some ink..

"I myself am the deliverer of the Great Ones fire, so I will be in charge of bathing ur enemies in that.. I might also be bargained with for healing should the need arise.. What talents do you possess Miss Taika?"

Silver Crusade

AC 21 T 14 FF 17 | Current HP 36/56| F +11 R +6 W +11 (+2 vs death, paralysis, sleep) (+1 vs poison) Immune: Fear, Disease | Init +0| Perc +0 (+3 in shadows or darkness) Human
Spells Per Day Remaining:
Oracle: (1--4/4) Paladin: (1--2/2)
Spells Active:
Divine Favor, Shield of Faith

A young woman stands at the ready before the party, an owl on her shoulder. She wears a mithral breastplate covered in blessings and wards in Sylvan, the language of faeries, as well as an armored skirt, gauntlets, and greaves, all covering a fine cobalt blue outfit with golden trim. A shield rests on her back, showing three crowns of the same gold in a line down the middle in front of a field of the same cobalt blue. She holds her longsword in front by the pommel, the tip resting in the earth. Her straw blonde hair is tied back in a bun, aside from two forelocks.

A picture.

”My name is Artoria Pendragon. I was a king in another life, though you may think of me as just a humble knight. I was summoned here to this world at the behest of my master, Merlin, for gods-know what reason.

The owl on Artoria's shoulder hoots, glaring at Artoria. "AHEM. Introduce me, you silly child." It almost looks like it has its wings on its hips indignantly. He looks much like this.

”Oh,” Artoria says, ”This owl is Archimedes. He is Merlin's familiar, here to assist. He can be...what's the right word?...'sassy' at times.”

Archimedes gives as clear a scowl as could be expected from an owl, then pecks showers Artoria's head with rapid pecks.

”Ow! You are—Ow!--just--Ow!--proving--Ow!--me--Ow!--right!” Artoria finally grabs her shield and interposes it between her and Archimedes. Various marks on the shield suggest this interaction might be common.

Artoria has the Haunted curse. I flavor it as Merlin occasionally appearing in astral form (GM, you can RP him if you want), and the extra time it takes to retrieve items from the curse as him constantly reorganizing Artoria's things.

Scarab Sages

Male Half Orc Oracle of Bones [6.0] | HP 49/49 | AC 25 T 12 FF 24 | CMB +6 CMD 18 (19 vs grapple) | F +6 R +5 W +9 | Init +1 | Perc +3 (darkvision) | SM +6 | Heal +11 | Intim +10

A half-orc limps in, dressed with an agile breastplate and carrying a shield. With a questioning look he speaks to Artoria. A king? How do you know? The question seems to be an honest one judging by his tone.

Oh, my manners. I am Narvik Drak, follower of Pharasma and member of the Pathfinder Society. It has been some time since I had last answered the call to duty, I hope my skills have not faded.

Scarab Sages

LG elf wizard 7 - HP 51/51 [+16 temp hp]- AC 14 / t10 / f14 - F+6, R+4, W+8 (+3 vs spells and SLAs) - Init +4 Per +6

Taika looks around blinking as she realizes Jal is not present after all, and that she must have hallucinated him. She shakes herself slightly and reorients to the present, and to the others.

She looks at the Chelish woman with a slightly cocked head. "Are you not a mortal then? 'Deliverer of fire' is a mouthful. Do you have a name? As for my skills: I am more ice than fire, I confess. I am a scholar, as I said. I prefer to study than to fight. But when there is no option but violence, I am capable of calling creatures from other planes, or otherwise impeding those who would do violence.... with pits, or the like." Taika seems to find the prospect of this violence distasteful.

The mask on her map grins savagely, though. "Just punishment meted out to those who transgresssss," it? he? hisses. Taika gives the wooden mask an admonishing rap with her knuckles.

"Remember the emphasis on 'just,' Tanbaru."

"Yes, mistress."

On witnessing the rambunctiousness of the bird Archimedes, Taika smiles slightly. "I see I am not the only one with a.... friend, who travels with me. Well met, Lady Artoria. And 'Archimedes' as well."

Taika nods graciously to Narvik too. "Well met to you as well, sir. Pharasma is a most interesting goddess. I am sure your skills are not at rusty as you may fear, or if they are, the road shall renew them in short order."

Scarab Sages

Male Half Orc Oracle of Bones [6.0] | HP 49/49 | AC 25 T 12 FF 24 | CMB +6 CMD 18 (19 vs grapple) | F +6 R +5 W +9 | Init +1 | Perc +3 (darkvision) | SM +6 | Heal +11 | Intim +10

I hope you are correct in that matter, though it would be nice if our skills were not always needed so often, Taika.

Dark Archive

Usable:
Channel Energy 2/2, Firebolt(7/10)
HP 66/66 | AC 25 | T 14 | FF 24 | CMD 18 | Fort +9 | Ref +4 | Will +13 | Init +5 | Perc +15
Active Effects:
SoF(7m), Resist Fire(14m)

"Elise is my name and as a matter of fact I am not mortal. I wield flame quite nicely yes. A gift from my master."

Scarab Sages

LG elf wizard 7 - HP 51/51 [+16 temp hp]- AC 14 / t10 / f14 - F+6, R+4, W+8 (+3 vs spells and SLAs) - Init +4 Per +6

(Take 10 on KN planes for a 23; DC 20 to identify a creature's planar origin)

Taika's pale gaze lingers a moment on Elise. "You appear to have some of the ancestry of one of the higher orders in you, Lady Elise," she says politely after a few long, thoughtful seconds. "But a touch of either heaven... or hell... does not make one immortal. Your mortal blood will consign you to age and die in time-- perhaps centuries later than a human, but a long life is also not immortality. If you trust to your master, Asmodeus, to stop time from happening, you may find yourself disappointed."

The mask chuckles darkly, and Taika returns to stringing gemstone beads on a wire of copper. "Few enough of us will truly live forever," she adds on softly. "Especially in our line of work, so often dangerous. One must consider the legacy one wishes to leave behind, whether it is something as simple as a small piece of beauty to adorn the a wrist or a finger... or in the behaviors of others that we have changed and impacted."

Tanbaru makes no response to this. Taika looks back up to Narvik, and finds a small smile. "Yes, unfortunately. And what skills do you bring, Lord Narvik?"

Dark Archive

Usable:
Channel Energy 2/2, Firebolt(7/10)
HP 66/66 | AC 25 | T 14 | FF 24 | CMD 18 | Fort +9 | Ref +4 | Will +13 | Init +5 | Perc +15
Active Effects:
SoF(7m), Resist Fire(14m)

Elise's only reply is a coy smile..

"Infidel's simply do not understand the power of The First.."


| 8-02 Ward Asunder |8-05 Ungrounded But Unbroken | (Table 1)| (Table 2) | Sign Up Sheet|

Bells tinkle and chime as the door to “Pak’s Tobacco and Spice” opens. Shelves on the walls are full of jars and pouches, and a collection of masks adorns the wall opposite to the entrance. An old Tian-Dtang man sitting behind the counter wakes up mid-snore, rubs his eyes, and exclaims in a raspy but exuberant voice. “Yes, come in, come in! Ah, you must be the Pathfinders Ms. Amara sent! Where are my manners! I am Pak! Tea, anyone?” Before anyone can answer, Pak flicks one end of his metal smoking pipe, snags a teakettle, and plants it atop a small brazier with smoldering coals.

Old Pak seems to be absorbed in the world of serving tea and smoking his vanilla-flavored tobacco. Taika's floating mask seems to be a bit more lively than usual. He speaks up a bit.

Taika:
"Master, this area is very familiar. My apologies, I must tell your teammates of my origns."

“Long ago, I was a kami who lived near a temple of Yamatsumi in the Kullan Dei mountains. But centuries ago, the temple and I were magically transported into an extraplanar place called the Hao Jin Tapestry. For hundreds of years, I languished in a broken temple surrounded by tyrannical conquerors who encouraged my cruelest habits, and I turned into what I am now—an oni. It wasn’t until my master and a group of Pathfinders found me and showed me mercy that I was able to see past my own selfishness and spite. I have been working by her side and for the Pathfinder Society ever since, both in Absalom and in Tian Xia.”

Pak finishes serving you tea while the mask talks, and then runs his hand across his shaved head. ”Yes, Tanbaru. One moment while I explain why they were sent here.”

“I’ll get straight to the point. I would appreciate your to traveling to the Kullan Dei mountains in southern Dtang Ma and exploring what is left of the temple of Yamatsumi near which Tanbaru once lived. You see, the ancient sorceress Hao Jin was able to transport only the lower, front half of the original temple into her tapestry. I know little about the broken temple other than its haunted reputation, but Tanbaru here says that the temple’s secluded location high up in the mountains may well have kept its historical secrets and hidden treasures safe from vandals and looters, relics that should be valuable to the Pathfinder Society.”

“Tanbaru should accompany you, of course. Although his transformation into an oni made his memories somewhat frayed, he still instinctively knows the way there. You should know that when Tanbaru was a kami, the Pilgrim’s Path—the trail that leads up to the temple—was his sacred ward. His presence may have unpredictable consequences, so please keep him safe.”

Pausing here because there is already a lot of text.

Grand Lodge

F+9, R+5, W+10 (+5 v. spells and SLAs)(+3 v. poison) ; Init. +5; Percptn +12; Sense Motive +15; Move 20' Inquisitor (Gorum) 6; AC 20/12/19; CMD 19 (23 v. Bull rush or trips); HP 51/51

The quiet dwarf inhales as the group receive their assignment. He had a gleaming sword strapped to his back, and a holy symbol of Gorum appeared between his shirt and his armor. "Is there a reason we need to go now? Has something changed about the place recently? Any idea what we could expect to encounter on the way? That is a foreign land to me."

Silver Crusade

AC 21 T 14 FF 17 | Current HP 36/56| F +11 R +6 W +11 (+2 vs death, paralysis, sleep) (+1 vs poison) Immune: Fear, Disease | Init +0| Perc +0 (+3 in shadows or darkness) Human
Spells Per Day Remaining:
Oracle: (1--4/4) Paladin: (1--2/2)
Spells Active:
Divine Favor, Shield of Faith

Artoria removes her gauntlets so that she may more easily drink her tea. She sips upon it at a polite pace.

"I look forward to the opportunity to cleanse more evil from the world. I need no more reason. Nonetheless, Hagrym's question is a worthy one for own preparedness."


| 8-02 Ward Asunder |8-05 Ungrounded But Unbroken | (Table 1)| (Table 2) | Sign Up Sheet|

Old Pak nods along. "At this time of year the journey is relatively peaceful. During the hot summer, there are minor tremors and ash clouds. During the winter the snow is beautiful but the storms are definitely not. You have maybe a week or so before the first snowfall."

Tanbaru speaks up: ”I will help you all as much as I can. If my master allows it, , you may wear me. I’ll try not to get in the way.”
Wearing Tanbaru gives a +2 insight bonus to Perception. You need to ask Taika for permission though!

Sense Motive DC 18:

Tanbaru seems hesitant and a bit apprehensive about what he’s told you. Something is bothering him.

Old Pak gives you two large backpacks of rice and a camping cooker. ”The terrain is rough enough I would suggest against bringing pack animals. Oh! I have two climber’s kits you can borrow.”

As Pak reaches for the kits, he notices Artoria's armor and taps a finger on it. ”So bulky...if you’re going to wear that, you’d better watch your step.”

Feel free to make purchases and ask Old Pak questions before you begin the trip. You get 2 free climber's kits.

During the day, you decide to gather information and recall facts about the nearby area. Most of the people here don’t speak the common tongue well, so it is difficult to learn everything you want to.
You can roll Knowledge(Geography) or Knowledge(Nature) checks to learn more. You can try Diplomacy(Gather Information) at a -5 penalty unless you speak Tien, Dtang, or Nagaji.

DC 15:
Kullan Dei is a 2,500-mile long mountain range that winds its way through Nagajor and into the dragon kingdom of Xa Hoi. The northernmost stretch of the mountain range extends into southern Dtang Ma. The nearest summit is just a few hours’ hike from the busy streets of the sprawling capital Ramparassad.

DC 20:
The mountain range is volcanically active. In fact, Mount Pho-Yim, which looms over Ramparassad, often exudes ominous smoke. Seismic activity is common in the mountains, sometimes causing earthquakes, landslides, and volcanic eruptions.

DC 25:
Many species of birds and snakes are endemic to the Kullan Dei Mountains. Some develop a spiritual attachment to important sites, defending those areas as guardians or watching over them as auspicious sentinels. Dragons, ogres, and various types of kami and oni are also relatively common in the region.

Grand Lodge

F+9, R+5, W+10 (+5 v. spells and SLAs)(+3 v. poison) ; Init. +5; Percptn +12; Sense Motive +15; Move 20' Inquisitor (Gorum) 6; AC 20/12/19; CMD 19 (23 v. Bull rush or trips); HP 51/51

Sense Motive 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (19) + 15 = 34

"Tanbaru, can't help but notice you have something else on your mind. Care to share it? It might be minor but it might end up important.". THe dwarf slings a climber's kit over his left shoulder as he waits for a response.

Knowledge Nature 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6

Scarab Sages

LG elf wizard 7 - HP 51/51 [+16 temp hp]- AC 14 / t10 / f14 - F+6, R+4, W+8 (+3 vs spells and SLAs) - Init +4 Per +6

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11

Taika is clearly much too involved in thinking about the trip to come to pick up on the unease that Hagrym observes. She blinks, and looks to her familiar with a curious brow. "Does Master Hagrym speak true, Tanbaru? Is something troubling you? You know that since you have been traveling with me, we have left evil behind us, dear Tanbaru. Slowly we return unto the light-- to your true state as a kani. Perhaps by a return to the temple where you once served, you will restore yourself even more fully-- please do not be afraid, dear one."

Kn Nature: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (12) + 13 = 25

Her thoughts on the region, she willingly shares: "I have studied this part of the world to an extent. The Kullan Dei is a very long mountain range; the mountains we can see near us are merely its northernmost tip. A hike of a few hours should get us to the summit of the nearest peak, but the temple itself may be further away...

"The mountains are a volcanic range, and geology is still a force in flux there. We should be prepared for landslides, at the very least.

"Birds and snakes are the most common fauna... but one might also see dragons, ogres, and, of course, kani." This last, Taika says with a little pat to the blue mask, and a fond smile. "But one should be wary that seeming natural animals may not be only that-- and therefore, we should be polite even to the beasts, until we know they are only just beasts."


| 8-02 Ward Asunder |8-05 Ungrounded But Unbroken | (Table 1)| (Table 2) | Sign Up Sheet|

Tanbaru looks to Hagrym, and looks to Taika. "My memories of this area are vague, but I believe I left something important there. It is probably a minor artifact, nothing to bother yourselves about."

Old Pak nods as Taika describes the mountain range. "Be kind to all of the creatures there, it is most sacred up there!"

Grand Lodge

F+9, R+5, W+10 (+5 v. spells and SLAs)(+3 v. poison) ; Init. +5; Percptn +12; Sense Motive +15; Move 20' Inquisitor (Gorum) 6; AC 20/12/19; CMD 19 (23 v. Bull rush or trips); HP 51/51

Hagrym shot a crooked eye at Tanbaru. "I'd suspect if I lost a minor artifact, I'd remember exactly what it was..."

Dark Archive

Usable:
Channel Energy 2/2, Firebolt(7/10)
HP 66/66 | AC 25 | T 14 | FF 24 | CMD 18 | Fort +9 | Ref +4 | Will +13 | Init +5 | Perc +15
Active Effects:
SoF(7m), Resist Fire(14m)

I doubt he means artifact in the same sense you do..

I got called in to work this weekend and had to travel out of town therefore i dont have much time to post and its from my phone..I will be hime monday though and can decote full attention at that time

Scarab Sages

Male Half Orc Oracle of Bones [6.0] | HP 49/49 | AC 25 T 12 FF 24 | CMB +6 CMD 18 (19 vs grapple) | F +6 R +5 W +9 | Init +1 | Perc +3 (darkvision) | SM +6 | Heal +11 | Intim +10

The mission seems simple enough in its general form. We should get started immediately.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7

Narvik believes that all is well.


| 8-02 Ward Asunder |8-05 Ungrounded But Unbroken | (Table 1)| (Table 2) | Sign Up Sheet|

"Well, then, good luck and good journeys!" Old Pak waves you off. "Good to see you again, Tanbaru."

With preparations complete, you travel from the capital along with Tanbaru, who remains still while you are in town but then comes to life and follows you on his own. The weather is sweltering hot for the first few miles. It isn’t until you pass the rice fields and hike through a bamboo forest that the weather begins to cool down. The air in the Kullan Dei range is thin, but you acclimate quickly.

After a week of hiking, you arrive at a set of stone pillars with inscriptions that read “The Pilgrim’s Path” in several languages. You see a mist-shrouded outline of a broken temple about five miles away.

DC 18 knowledge(Local, Geography, Religion):
These stone pillars mark a transition from profane to sacred. Travelers should show proper reverence to the tradition and rules of the trial.

One of the pillars has a set of instructions on them. The basics are written in Common, but the more elaborate explanation is written in Dtang, Tien and Nagaji.

Do not obstruct paths!

Dtang, Nagaji, or Tien:
Don’t pitch your tent or leave your equipment on the trail. Be courteous and mindful of others using the trail.

Leave no trace!

Dtang, Nagaji, or Tien:
Take your trash with you. Don’t make fires outside designated areas. Don’t leave any other trace of your passage.

Stay on the marked trail!

Dtang, Nagaji, or Tien:
Nature is sacred and fragile; do not tread on it. Don’t harm animals unless you must defend yourself.

Grand Lodge

F+9, R+5, W+10 (+5 v. spells and SLAs)(+3 v. poison) ; Init. +5; Percptn +12; Sense Motive +15; Move 20' Inquisitor (Gorum) 6; AC 20/12/19; CMD 19 (23 v. Bull rush or trips); HP 51/51

Know. Religion 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16

"Well, these rules seem simple enough, don't they?"

Scarab Sages

LG elf wizard 7 - HP 51/51 [+16 temp hp]- AC 14 / t10 / f14 - F+6, R+4, W+8 (+3 vs spells and SLAs) - Init +4 Per +6

Taika speaks Tien, and easily reads aloud the full instructions. Everyone can read the spoilers. Also, take 10 on the KN check for a 23.

"So-- be of utmost courtesy to all we meet, even the land itself, for we are now on sacred ground. It would be wise of us all to head the warnings. Tanbaru, normally I would have you scout ahead for us, but in this land where your own history seems fraught, I would rather have you stay with us-- both for your sake, and for ours," Taika says to the spirit oni. "Here, fly just at my shoulder, yes?

"Who among us wishes to lead? My skills lie more in knowledge and magics then in being a bulwark. Does anyone wish to be first upon the path?"

I'll wand-tap myself with mage armor (1 hour) and do my daily false life: 1d10 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16. If the weather is cold enough to need to worry about it, I'll use a scroll of endure elements on myself and another on Tanbaru.

Grand Lodge

F+9, R+5, W+10 (+5 v. spells and SLAs)(+3 v. poison) ; Init. +5; Percptn +12; Sense Motive +15; Move 20' Inquisitor (Gorum) 6; AC 20/12/19; CMD 19 (23 v. Bull rush or trips); HP 51/51

Hagrym pulls his sword and moves toward the front of the group. "I'm not the most eagle eyed, but my strengths are toward swinging my sword."

Scarab Sages

Male Half Orc Oracle of Bones [6.0] | HP 49/49 | AC 25 T 12 FF 24 | CMB +6 CMD 18 (19 vs grapple) | F +6 R +5 W +9 | Init +1 | Perc +3 (darkvision) | SM +6 | Heal +11 | Intim +10

I shall follow Hagrym but be aware of my slow pace. Narvik walks with a decided hitch in his stride.

Narvik only has a 15' movement speed.

Silver Crusade

AC 21 T 14 FF 17 | Current HP 36/56| F +11 R +6 W +11 (+2 vs death, paralysis, sleep) (+1 vs poison) Immune: Fear, Disease | Init +0| Perc +0 (+3 in shadows or darkness) Human
Spells Per Day Remaining:
Oracle: (1--4/4) Paladin: (1--2/2)
Spells Active:
Divine Favor, Shield of Faith

Artoria Knowledge (religion): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18
Archimedes Knowledge (religion): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18

"Allow me to take the lead. A knight is the first into battle." She draws her sword and moves to the front of the group.

Artoria taps her own familiar with a wand of mage armor, after taking a couple of tries to force it to work.

UMD: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15
UMD: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20

Dark Archive

Usable:
Channel Energy 2/2, Firebolt(7/10)
HP 66/66 | AC 25 | T 14 | FF 24 | CMD 18 | Fort +9 | Ref +4 | Will +13 | Init +5 | Perc +15
Active Effects:
SoF(7m), Resist Fire(14m)

Ok, finally able to cathc up.

Reading the rules the Asmodeian smirks..

"Sounds like a local camping spot I know back home.."

Elise travels near the back of the party..


| 8-02 Ward Asunder |8-05 Ungrounded But Unbroken | (Table 1)| (Table 2) | Sign Up Sheet|

The party reads the warnings and slowly advances forward.

The narrow trail winds along the base of a steep ridge, and large, jagged rocks have fallen from the cliff face here, blocking the path. At least a score of dark birds with white throats reside here, sitting atop nests built into the cliff face.

On the cliff face above the trail, you see several bird nests.

Knowledge(Nature) DC 15:
These are cliff-nesting martins, endemic to the Kullan Dei mountains.

If you made the above check, or a DC 16 Sense Motive check:
These birds are timid and will abandon their young if disturbed.

Knowledge (Geography, Local or Religion) DC 19:
According to the villagers you spoke to, these birds are an auspicious sign. The villagers would never kill or eat their eggs! Feeding them uncooked rice and other simple grains can be used to help calm them down if agitated.

You can see the tell tale signs of a recent landslide. Large rocks block the path forward. You’ll have to get some creative way around it.

1) You could balance yourself on the rocks to make it across. If you wish to, make a DC 18 Acrobatics check.

Knowledge(Dungeoneering DC 16 Geography, Dungeoneering, or Engineering):
Walking on the rocks carries a great risk of dislodging them.

2) You could instead try to clear the rubble. If you wish to, make 5 Strength checks, DC 13. If you fail any of them, make a DC 14 Fortitude check to resist becoming Fatigued. If you are already Fatigued you become Exhausted and cannot clear any more rubble.

3) You can climb the cliff face above the trail. Make a DC 16 Climb check. The first person climbing up needs a DC 17 Handle Animal check (or Wild Empathy) to calm the birds down.

4) You can try to find a detour off the main route. Make a DC 21 Knowledge(Geography) or Survival Check.

5) Maybe some kind of magic can help you bypass the obstacle altogether...

Dark Archive

Usable:
Channel Energy 2/2, Firebolt(7/10)
HP 66/66 | AC 25 | T 14 | FF 24 | CMD 18 | Fort +9 | Ref +4 | Will +13 | Init +5 | Perc +15
Active Effects:
SoF(7m), Resist Fire(14m)

Know Rel: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22

"The birds are an auspicious sign, we should not disturb them if possible. Have we no stout lads to move the rubble?"

Scarab Sages

Male Half Orc Oracle of Bones [6.0] | HP 49/49 | AC 25 T 12 FF 24 | CMB +6 CMD 18 (19 vs grapple) | F +6 R +5 W +9 | Init +1 | Perc +3 (darkvision) | SM +6 | Heal +11 | Intim +10

Narvik will now cast False Life: 1d10 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9 as the way looks to be getting more dangerous.

Hmm, I suppose I could lend a hand in moving some rocks. Due to his Curse Narvik is immune to the fatigue condition but I'll add a Fort save just in case.

Strength: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13
Strength: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4 - Fort: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9
Strength: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21
Strength: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14
Strength: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15

Grand Lodge

F+9, R+5, W+10 (+5 v. spells and SLAs)(+3 v. poison) ; Init. +5; Percptn +12; Sense Motive +15; Move 20' Inquisitor (Gorum) 6; AC 20/12/19; CMD 19 (23 v. Bull rush or trips); HP 51/51

Sense motive 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (4) + 15 = 19

Know. Religion 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15

"Be careful. Those birds are 'chicken.' Get will take off and abandon their children if are disturbed. We'd better give them a wide berth."

Grand Lodge

F+9, R+5, W+10 (+5 v. spells and SLAs)(+3 v. poison) ; Init. +5; Percptn +12; Sense Motive +15; Move 20' Inquisitor (Gorum) 6; AC 20/12/19; CMD 19 (23 v. Bull rush or trips); HP 51/51

Hagrym tries to move the rubble.

Strength check 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20

Strength check 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16

Strength check 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24

Strength check 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10

Strength check 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13
--------------

Fort save 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20

Scarab Sages

LG elf wizard 7 - HP 51/51 [+16 temp hp]- AC 14 / t10 / f14 - F+6, R+4, W+8 (+3 vs spells and SLAs) - Init +4 Per +6

If taking 10 is permitted here, GM, I'm at a minimum 20 and have all knowledges trained. Don't want to just steamroll a bunch of KN checks if you'd rather we rolled, though. I'll assume it's okay to take 10 here but let me know for future checks if it's not.

"Those rocks won't be very stable if one tries to walk across," Taika murmurs. As the burly warriors set to clearing the rocks carefully, Taika thinks about what she knows about the land.

Kn Geo, DC 21: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (19) + 10 = 29

Taika apparently really has studied this part of the world. "I think I know something of the paths in this mountain range... Tanbaru can perhaps confirm for me... is there a route around such as I think there is, Tanbaru? By the cleft oak?"

Only will bother with that if for some reason our mighty mighty warriors haven't already cleared a path!


| 8-02 Ward Asunder |8-05 Ungrounded But Unbroken | (Table 1)| (Table 2) | Sign Up Sheet|

Narvik and Hagrym team up and use their strength to carefully clear a pathway. Tanbaru almost spins in excitement. "That felt very respectful to me. I think that was the right thing to do."

With the path cleared the team advances.

A shallow cave in the mountainside bears a carving that depicts an erupting, snow-capped volcano. Two timeworn stone statues flank the entrance to the cave. Near the cave, there is a stone fire ring with a long, semicircular stone bench around it.

With her vast knowledge, Taika knows the carving near the cave is the Holy symbol of Yamatsumi.

Survival DC 16:
The fire ring has not been used in at least 2 months.

Tanbaru looks closely at the two statues. ”Ah, this shrine. These statues feel familiar, but… I don’t remember why. This is my burden...”

One of the statues resembles a female monk, holding an old, pitted bronze gong in her hands. A small mallet hangs on a chain from the statue.

Taika recalls that the locals believe gongs are a connection between mortals and the supernatural world. Skilled percussionists can create a “divine note”, a reasonant and triumphant not too boastful sound. This gong must be treated carefully, lest you crack it.

You may try a Perform (percussion skill) DC 15 on the gong. You can try this check untrained.

The male statue depicts a monk with an empty bowl in his hands.

Pilgrims in Dtang Ma leave votive offerings from the kami who protect this area.
You can make a Knowledge(Planes or Religion) check to learn more

DC 17:
Pilgrims in Dtang Ma leave votive offerings from the kami who protect this area.

DC 22:
Rice is a favored food of the kami in this region. Make a Profession(cook) or Survival check to make delicious rice.

Grand Lodge

F+9, R+5, W+10 (+5 v. spells and SLAs)(+3 v. poison) ; Init. +5; Percptn +12; Sense Motive +15; Move 20' Inquisitor (Gorum) 6; AC 20/12/19; CMD 19 (23 v. Bull rush or trips); HP 51/51

Survival 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (7) + 12 = 19

Know. Religion 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 23

"Its been about 2 months since a fire has been lit here," Hagrym says, poking at the fire circle of stones.

After he looks at the statue, he snaps his fingers. "A sacrifice of rice is what's needed here. Do we have any cooks? If not, I think I can whip something up," the dwarf says as he starts rifling brought his pack for seasonings. He waits to see if a better cook than him volunteers. If not, he gives it a try.

Survival 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (6) + 12 = 18

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.
LG elf wizard 7 - HP 51/51 [+16 temp hp]- AC 14 / t10 / f14 - F+6, R+4, W+8 (+3 vs spells and SLAs) - Init +4 Per +6

"You're well studied, Hagrym," Taika says approvingly, while spending a great deal of her time trying to make sure Tanbaru is okay-- she worries for the oni's nature, as she has spent some time trying to set his feet.... er... lack of feet... back onto the path of righteousness, but knows that he might backslide at any time.

"I am no cook, but the rice you are making is smelling wonderful. Let me see here..." Taika rummages through her spell component pouch and after a few minutes comes up with some dried carrot, some shaved licorice root, rolled cabbage leaves, and even some tentacles of a squid, wrapped in wax paper. (All components for spells she currently has memorized, haha)

"We might add some of these for seasoning, perhaps!" she says with some amusement, while Tanbaru chuckles as well.

Dark Archive

Usable:
Channel Energy 2/2, Firebolt(7/10)
HP 66/66 | AC 25 | T 14 | FF 24 | CMD 18 | Fort +9 | Ref +4 | Will +13 | Init +5 | Perc +15
Active Effects:
SoF(7m), Resist Fire(14m)

Smelling the delicious offering Elise's stomach begins to growl..

"Well studied indeed.. Perhaps we can speak privately after this mission is over Hagrym, have you ever thought about being a personal chef?"

Grand Lodge

F+9, R+5, W+10 (+5 v. spells and SLAs)(+3 v. poison) ; Init. +5; Percptn +12; Sense Motive +15; Move 20' Inquisitor (Gorum) 6; AC 20/12/19; CMD 19 (23 v. Bull rush or trips); HP 51/51

"Eating, drinking, and then fighting. Those are a few of my favorite things!"


| 8-02 Ward Asunder |8-05 Ungrounded But Unbroken | (Table 1)| (Table 2) | Sign Up Sheet|

Hagrym cooks a delicious dish of cooked rice and leaves it by the statue of the male monk. As you offer the rice, a bird flies by the bowl, scoops some of the rice with its talons, and flies off, like it’s making an offering to the spirits above.

After a tough hike up a narrow trail along the face of the mountain, the Pilgrim’s Path suddenly ends. A cylindrical portion of the mountainous landscape—one hundred and fty feet in diameter—is simply missing. An old milestone still points southwest toward the strangely symmetrical crater, but an arrow engraved in the cliff face points west toward a series of water-slicked steps carved into the unnatural cliff.

Tanabru wails quietly and shakes in disgust. ”It was here! This is the place where my ward, my path, was sundered!”

Only powerful magic could create a perfectly cylindrical cavity in the mountainside- Hao Jin’s arcane mastery at work.

Knowledge(Dungeoneering, Engineering or Geography) or Craft(Stonemasonry) DC 16:
The narrow steps are the result of centuries of natural erosion and the use of rock-cutting tools.

If you made DC 21 on the above check:
Some of these tool marks were made within the last year.

You can climb up the slippery, vertical cliff. Or you can try to traverse the narrow ledge. You guess that the pit is about 60 feet deep, so it is quite a fall.

If you are trying to climb straight up the cliff, make a DC 22 climb check.

If you decide to cross the three gaps, I need a DC 10, DC 5, and a DC 10 Acrobatics check to cross. Alternatively, you may try 3 DC 11 climb checks to climb horizontally across the gaps. If you tie each other together with a rope, followers within 20 feet of the leader may make DC 10 Climb checks to Aid the leader via Aid Another.

I need to know the party’s marching order, and how each of you will try to get to the temple. Please arrange your marching order on slide 1.

Scarab Sages

LG elf wizard 7 - HP 51/51 [+16 temp hp]- AC 14 / t10 / f14 - F+6, R+4, W+8 (+3 vs spells and SLAs) - Init +4 Per +6

Take 10 on Kn Dung for 23

Taika surveys the cliff while trying to calm Tanbaru. "Oh, Tanbaru, have courage, I am sure we will be able to find a way to restore your honor as a guardian...

"Those steps are the result of erosion but also tools. I think some of those tool marks are fairly recent, the last year or so. It's possible someone has tried to reach the old temple.... other pilgrims, perhaps?

"Now, as for this climb ahead... My own footing is not the surest. Hagrym, you seem strong-- what if I cast a few spells upon you to make you stronger and larger, and to aid your climbing, that you might help us all to the top?"

(I have a wand of enlarge person and a scroll of spider climb which I'm happy to use to help us get to the top as a group)

Scarab Sages

Male Half Orc Oracle of Bones [6.0] | HP 49/49 | AC 25 T 12 FF 24 | CMB +6 CMD 18 (19 vs grapple) | F +6 R +5 W +9 | Init +1 | Perc +3 (darkvision) | SM +6 | Heal +11 | Intim +10

Narvik will go third as he has before. I am also not the surest of foot. Perhaps Hagrym should lead the way, good thinking.

Grand Lodge

F+9, R+5, W+10 (+5 v. spells and SLAs)(+3 v. poison) ; Init. +5; Percptn +12; Sense Motive +15; Move 20' Inquisitor (Gorum) 6; AC 20/12/19; CMD 19 (23 v. Bull rush or trips); HP 51/51

"Magic me up and I'll be your test balloon! What's the worst that could happen?! Get me ready and I'll climb like a Billy goat."

Dark Archive

Usable:
Channel Energy 2/2, Firebolt(7/10)
HP 66/66 | AC 25 | T 14 | FF 24 | CMD 18 | Fort +9 | Ref +4 | Will +13 | Init +5 | Perc +15
Active Effects:
SoF(7m), Resist Fire(14m)

"Why is it always slippery steps involved. Can't a girl just keep her feet dry?"

Assuming we are using the rope and aid method Elise will go last.

Scarab Sages

LG elf wizard 7 - HP 51/51 [+16 temp hp]- AC 14 / t10 / f14 - F+6, R+4, W+8 (+3 vs spells and SLAs) - Init +4 Per +6

"A... balloon? Oh, yes, I have heard of these. Are they dwarven, then?" Taika asks politely. "Tanbaru, are you willing to scout quietly for us while I prepare Hagrym, or does the sight of your former ward fill you with too much pain?"

GM:
If the scenario wants Tanbaru to stick with the party (or if you do!) then I'm fine with Tanbaru stating his desire to stay close. If not, however, Taika would turn himself invisible (which he can do at will) and fly up to the top of the cliff, checking visually to make sure nothing's waiting at the top to ambush us/etc. Rolls:

Stealth /w invis: 1d20 + 36 ⇒ (14) + 36 = 50
Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16

Regardless of Tanbaru's answer, Taika reads a scroll of spider climb over Hagrym. The spell will give him the climbing skills of, well, a spider, for thirty minutes.

"I was considering you might carry someone one up, Hagrym, in case there is trouble. You might be able to carry several of us, really. If there is something above, a Pathfinder should not face it alone."

Enlarge person charge, 1 minute. Aside from the +2 STR bonus to size, it also doubles Hagrym's carrying capacity. So Hagrym should easily be able to have at least two PCs hold onto a shoulder each, potentially more if we want to mess with ropes.

Grand Lodge

F+9, R+5, W+10 (+5 v. spells and SLAs)(+3 v. poison) ; Init. +5; Percptn +12; Sense Motive +15; Move 20' Inquisitor (Gorum) 6; AC 20/12/19; CMD 19 (23 v. Bull rush or trips); HP 51/51

Hagrym is happy to carry up his teammates two at a time, if possible.

Wtih Spider Climb, do I need to actually roll the checks?


| 8-02 Ward Asunder |8-05 Ungrounded But Unbroken | (Table 1)| (Table 2) | Sign Up Sheet|

You won't need to make checks if you have Spider Climb. But first!

Tanbaru nods and turns invisible to fly up the cliff. He then flies back down. "Master, there are 4 large snakes at the entrance to the temple. Most likely they will attack as soon as you climb up."

Grand Lodge

F+9, R+5, W+10 (+5 v. spells and SLAs)(+3 v. poison) ; Init. +5; Percptn +12; Sense Motive +15; Move 20' Inquisitor (Gorum) 6; AC 20/12/19; CMD 19 (23 v. Bull rush or trips); HP 51/51

"Can any of you do any magic that will keep the snakes away while a am transporting people up there?"

Dark Archive

Usable:
Channel Energy 2/2, Firebolt(7/10)
HP 66/66 | AC 25 | T 14 | FF 24 | CMD 18 | Fort +9 | Ref +4 | Will +13 | Init +5 | Perc +15
Active Effects:
SoF(7m), Resist Fire(14m)

"I can do fireballs if that helps.."

Grand Lodge

F+9, R+5, W+10 (+5 v. spells and SLAs)(+3 v. poison) ; Init. +5; Percptn +12; Sense Motive +15; Move 20' Inquisitor (Gorum) 6; AC 20/12/19; CMD 19 (23 v. Bull rush or trips); HP 51/51

"Sounds like a plan! Tanbaru, is there enough room for me to carry her up, and have her blast the snakes without either of us getting snacked on? Aw hell," he adds suddenly, "we aren't supposed to hurt any critters, are we? Pretty sure they'd come down hard on us if she burnt and I chopped up those snakes! Gorum would be so mad right now, " he mutters under his breath.

1 to 50 of 191 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Chadius's Gameday VI: 8-02 Ward Asunder All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.