Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Flesh and Bone-A zombiepocalypse story

Game Master concerro

The party enters a world much different than the one many of them left 3 years ago. Many cities have been abandoned. Those cities that are still occupied are under martial law to a large extent.
People are very afraid of the world, and for good


1 to 50 of 1,511 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

This is where gameplay posting will be held at.


Male Weapons Specialist

Applying power of Dot so it shows up in my Campaign Tracker tab.


The Story Begins.......

It is now evening, almost dark, but the sky still has some light. As the lot of you walk towards the town you notice that a stone wall and guard towers are here, but there were none before. This town being nothing more than a gloried outpost for travels into the Mwangi Expanse or other dangerous places, and having nothing valuable on its own, makes such defenses seem quiet strange. As the scene opens the guards, two dwarves in scale mail that are armed with crossbows, and longspears, question the group on their intentions and whether they have seen any zombies. The professor(Dr.Throme Frennel) replies that no undead have been seen and this is just a pit stop. With that said the professor is quick to move past the guards once they open the gate. He seems to always be in a hurry so you have learned to not pay much attention to it. He is the type of person to want to rush you even if you have all the time in the world.

If any of you wish to speak to the guards you may. Once your questioning of the guards is done or if you have nothing to say to them just let me know that you have decided to enter the town. Once everyone is in the town I will proceed.

PS: Due to a bad connection I may not be able to reply to everyone today. I will try.


Dagor turns his head toward the second guard, pausing as he heads in through the gates.

a few sentances spoken in dwarven:
"Worried about zombies? Get yourself a dagger, then. It'll do more to cut them to pieces than poking holes in them with those."

If the guards only look stupid in response or turns out to have a dagger, Dagor proceeds inside. Otherwise, he stays to chat.


Male Half-Orc Ranger (Shifter) 3/day

"Why do you ask about zombies?" Athanasius would inquire, his interest peaked at one of his most hated foes.


Male Weapons Specialist

Hathin listens, but does not speak as Dr Fennel negotiates passage into the town. The towers and walls are of more interest, and he makes mental note of the revised town layout.

Momentarily shifting his musket from his shoulder he double checks the load before re-shouldering it.


Male Half-Elf Oracle (Juju) 5

Uchendu regards the sentries with mild curiousity.

"Why you be fearin' the walking dead so? Have de local spirits been restless recently? Has somebody stirred dem up?"


After halting the oxen and telling Kesavan to wait. Abasi asks the guards, Is there a place inside the walls were I can put Kesavan here? Pointing to the elephant. If not, where outside the walls is alright? What's the news with zombies, Urgathoa's pissed, or Geb decide to attack somebody?


Gun 3/Clr 2 - HP 36/36: AC 26: Touch: 12 Flat: 24 - F+7, R+6, W+5 Init +5; Darkvision (60 feet); Per +8

Haundo kept his Wolf head shaped helm closed and merely looked at each guard through the slit in his visor. He kept his tower shield at the ready in case the dwarve's got uppity, he casually opened the view port and stood behind the others. At the mention of undead he turns and looks back into the darkness behind them, using his unearthly vision to search the deepest shadows for movement.

Perception 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17

He was wary of undead, because such foul abominations were relentless and tireless when they began pursuing the living. They could not easily penetrate his armor but if they got the drop on him they could overpower him. He kept a wary eye out for his comrades animals as well, because they too were easy prey. He sniffed the air as he searched for the tangy scent of death as well.

He continues to watch warily behind them as he finally speaks, his voice is rough and gratty. "Nay, we hast naught seen the dead, what hath happened here?"


'Human Boy'
Perception DC 26:
That's not a boy. It's a Halfling man!
Summoner (Synthesist) 4, HP 24/24, AC 12/t 12/f 11, F3 /R3 /W3, Init +1, Sp:. 1st 4/4, 2nd 1/2, SMI 7/7

At the mention of zombies, Grey turns to 'Purpose' & twitches his head wider-shins of the main gate, his eyebrows raising questioningly. The skeletal outsider paces a stones-throw out & to the side of the gateway & begins 'sniffing' the ground nearby. Grey pats 'Precious' on the haunches to calm himself & then follows, several paces closer to the gates than his sepulchral companion.

'Purpose' Perception 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24

"Not this year, not yet."Grey whispers to himself, his right index finger idly drawing spiral after spiral over his heart.


Bard 4/Gun 1, HP 39, AC: 17 Tch 12 FF 15 F: +5, R: +8, W: +4, Init: +2, Per: +8

Andreas wonders why make a pit stop rather than keep going, but who is he to question the professor.


Dagor: The two guards look at you a tinge of anger, most likely upset that they have been spoken down to.

Athanasius, Uchendu, Haundo: One of the guards replies, "They attack in large numbers like pack animals. There are rumors of entire cities being overrun. I don't know the truth of it since nobody who leaves here ever returns. It has been this way for about 2 years now. As to how things got this way I have no idea. Sometimes people or animals that die rise again even if they have never been in contact with a zombie. We have resorted to beheading and/or incinerating those that pass away so we don't have to take the chance."

Abasi:"There are stables inside. As long as you are staying at the Lucky Coin the rent is free."


With a short sigh, Dagor shifts to continue through the gate after speaking.

a line in dwarven:
"A spear's a good weapon, too. Don't mind my suggestion, better said once, that's all."


Abasi leads the oxen and Kesavan through the gates toward the Luckly Coin, with a troubled expression. As I pass the guards, We saw or heard nothing of zombies in the Mwangi. Doubt they'd last long there, the flesh beetles aren't picky. Who's running the town these days?

After Dagor and Abasi are through the gates and past the guards.What were you talking to the guards about, and what do you make of this?


Male Half-Orc Ranger (Shifter) 3/day

Anthanasius would crinkle his nose and flex his claws as he heard the news.

"So you've not been receiving any word from the outside then?"


Male Weapons Specialist

Hathin feels slightly cold inside and the hair on the back of his neck rises. The empty presence in his heart seemed pleased, and this made Hathin uncomfortable.

Outward expression remaining neutral, Hathin lurks near the guards until the others finish their conversing before leading his mule in to the village.


Abasi:"The town is ran by Edward Richter. He is the mayor."

Athanasius:"No word has been received in about a year and a half I guess."

Dagor:The guards says "thanks", but you can tell they don't like be to given advice.


Male Half-Elf Oracle (Juju) 5

Uchendu nods gravely to the guards.

"It be soundin' as if there 'as been a terrible disturbance in da spirit world. Thank-you for allowing us in..."

Strange that da spirits did not let me know of it... but then again, I be in a foreign land now; I be needing to learn the language of the local spirits...

Uchendu then moves along to the Lucky Coin when the others are ready.


Male Half-Orc Ranger (Shifter) 3/day

"When did you have your last zombie spotting here? Do they come frequently? In how large of groups?" Anthansius would ramble as his claws start itching.


"Well it has been about two weeks. Sometimes it might be 4 or 5. One time we had about 30 of them. They have been humans, elves, dogs, giants, all manner of beast. That giant almost tore the wall down. It was made of wood at the time. We took the zombie down, but we had to switch to stone walls just in case it happened again. There are a small hamlets and villages and hamlets throughout the region, that are not really on any map. I guess those people are where they come from. "


Male Half-Orc Ranger (Shifter) 3/day

"Very well. You have my arm if they come again, all you need do is call for me. I will most likely be at the Lucky Coin." Anthanasius would reply while banging his fist against his chest and giving a curt bow of his head.


Male Weapons Specialist

For clarity, Hathin has no issues continuing to the Lucky Coin...


'Human Boy'
Perception DC 26:
That's not a boy. It's a Halfling man!
Summoner (Synthesist) 4, HP 24/24, AC 12/t 12/f 11, F3 /R3 /W3, Init +1, Sp:. 1st 4/4, 2nd 1/2, SMI 7/7

Unless the gates are in danger of closing with 'Purpose' & him locked out, Grey waits for 'Purpose' to finish examining the area for signs of zombies, then the two of them enter and head for the Lucky Coin. If the gates do start closing, Grey will call 'Purpose' & the two of them will head within. If the guards give them trouble Grey will retrieve his gear from 'Precious' & camp outside the gates.


Addressing Abasi, Dagor shakes his head negatively. "Just made sure they had the knowledge of how to deal with zombies." He scans the town again, taking a sniff of the air. "The dead roam just about anywhere. Looks like this lot just isn't used to 'em wandering this way, though now that they've got a stone wall... that should make holding 'em off easy enough. If we have enough bolts and stones to throw around! Hah!"


With smile to Dagor, Nah. You don't want sticks and stones for zombie. For a ghoul, sure, just about anything will do for them. For a shambler now, you want a chakram. Slices good as a sword, and doesn't make you get up close. Anyway, let's see what the Dr. has to say about it. My contract is up once we return to Absalom.


Bard 4/Gun 1, HP 39, AC: 17 Tch 12 FF 15 F: +5, R: +8, W: +4, Init: +2, Per: +8

Andreas writes down the conversation with the guards making sure to note the types of creature that came back, the sizes of groups and the frequency of the attacks. Before the group heads to the Lucky Coin he asks the guards one question. "What is done to those that are killed or wounded by the walking dead?" Andreas wait for the answer so he can log there methods to compare with others that are used.


Gun 3/Clr 2 - HP 36/36: AC 26: Touch: 12 Flat: 24 - F+7, R+6, W+5 Init +5; Darkvision (60 feet); Per +8

Haundo turned at the sound of disrespect given to Dagor, despite himself he growls low and angry. His hands never drifted towards his weapons but he glanced at both guards pointedly before ceasing to growl. He then brushed past them as he followed Dagor and the others. In that angry moment he decided he would get little sleep tonight because of the arrogant guards at the gates. He couldn't trust those who did not listen...

Once inside the town Haundo took in the layout and state of the town before heading to the Inn. He searched for anything remiss and out of place, he looked at every face he could, focusing mainly on those who hid there faces. Haundo did not like the dead, they were sneaky and relentless in a way to chilled him to the bone.

Perception 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16

He eventually makes his way to the Lucky Coin and stands ill at ease in the common room, still searching the faces and people around them for anything... Abnormal.


Andreas Merona wrote:

Andreas writes down the conversation with the guards making sure to note the types of creature that came back, the sizes of groups and the frequency of the attacks. Before the group heads to the Lucky Coin he asks the guards one question. "What is done to those that are killed or wounded by the walking dead?" Andreas wait for the answer so he can log there methods to compare with others that are used.

"If they are lucky they fight it off, but from what we have seen the chances of that are slim. Most of those that are bitten turn within a week's time. Those who are killed don't even stay dead for a full day."

One of the guards replies:
"We try to wait it out, but if it is deemed as a forgone conclusion we have to take care of the situation. Nobody really likes it of course, but it is for the greater good. It seems magical cures fail to prevent the disease, curse, or whatever it is from taking place."


Gun 3/Clr 2 - HP 36/36: AC 26: Touch: 12 Flat: 24 - F+7, R+6, W+5 Init +5; Darkvision (60 feet); Per +8

As Haundo stood in the bar, fully clad in his armor and his wolfhead helm still shut tight,as he tried to dissuade any would be thieves. He shrugged his armored shoulders when talk of their contract with the Dr. expiring, but when Abasi said Absalom name, his thoughts started to drift to Culann...

He was glad that his helm was still tightly shut, as he hid his emotions under armored plates. He wondered how Culann had fared in his absence, he had been gone for some time on this trip to theMwangi. He wondered about his old comrades in the Nightwatch. he wondered if Vicks and Jornie would even speak to him after leaving the Nightwatch so abruptly.

"I sleep with livestock tonight, I do not trust this place..."


The guards notice it is getting darker and inform Athanasius that it is time to close the gates. They wait for everyone to enter the city. A few other guards come over and they triple bar the gate.

Once inside you see a few armed guards, but not many others are outside of their homes. Those you do see could use better clothing, and a few more meals.

The professor is heading toward the Lucky Coin while the guards wait for any more questions that Athanasius may have to ask.


Male Weapons Specialist

Hathin cinches the neck of his cloak tighter as the gnawing pit of ice in his stomach grows... he is wary, and makes sure to bring his musket into the inn.

Headed to the Coin


Male Half-Orc Ranger (Shifter) 3/day

"Just ask if you need an extra hand," Athanasius would say before turning and heading off to The Lucky Coin with Hathin.

As they walked he would speak to the man, "Seems a bit has changed since our departure."


Bard 4/Gun 1, HP 39, AC: 17 Tch 12 FF 15 F: +5, R: +8, W: +4, Init: +2, Per: +8

Andreas ponders the answer given by the guards wondering where they put the bodies and more importantly were people hiding loved ones forgetting they were no longer those they loved. "Thank you very much for answering my quesiton, I like to compare the methods of the different cities." Andreas turns and begins to head to the Lucky Coin.


'Human Boy'
Perception DC 26:
That's not a boy. It's a Halfling man!
Summoner (Synthesist) 4, HP 24/24, AC 12/t 12/f 11, F3 /R3 /W3, Init +1, Sp:. 1st 4/4, 2nd 1/2, SMI 7/7

As the guards do not appear to have a problem with 'Purpose' Grey will accompany the eidolon within when the guards inform Athanasius they will be closing the gates for nightfall. Once they reach the Lucky Coin he will brush down 'Precious' in the stable. If Haundo mentions his intent to spend the night in the stable, Grey will join him there.


As you enter the Lucky Coin you notice that it is almost empty. There are only 5 people there. One of them, a middle aged human that is beginning to bald, greets the professor warmly. The professor gives him all of your names, and introduces him as Sammy. Dr. Frennel goes on to catch him up on the expedition, telling him that he will give him the long version later.

Sammy offers all of you something warm to eat and alcohol to drink or something non-alcoholic if you prefer that.

The professor ask the same questions that you did of the guards, and Sammy provides the same answers.

During the meal itself you find out the town is on a food and water ration since sending people out to find food is very dangerous, and caravans bringing supplies from Quantium stopped a long time ago. The town has a few clerics, but not enough to supply water for the entire town.

Haundo: If you profess your desire to sleep outdoors Sammy has no problem with it, but he tells you that it will be cold, and offers a blanket.


Gun 3/Clr 2 - HP 36/36: AC 26: Touch: 12 Flat: 24 - F+7, R+6, W+5 Init +5; Darkvision (60 feet); Per +8

Haundo thanked Sammy for the extra blanket. "Dead like the cold and shadows. Trapped animals are targets for the dead so one must protect them. If this place is being rationed, then looters are possible as well." he bows his head to his companions. "If something happens, I will be in the stables." With that Haundo leaves for the stables. Looters could come at anytime and so he could not neglect his duties for a few more minutes by the warm hearth.

Once he is inside the stables, he checks his loaded pistol and stands eatch until he can hopefully bar the doors when the stablehands leave.


Drinking his ale slowly as though it were the last alcohol he'd ever have, Dagor lips his lips clean after each tip of the mug. The sight of malnourished sapped his spirit for the evening, and the warm meal did little to restore it. "Reminds me of the fate of Saggorak, the great dwarven city overrun by the dead long ago. They kept the enemy out until they starved to death. Dammed pit is still infested with zombies and worse. Only one attack every other week shouldn't be stopping messengers... that doesn't bode well." Dagor takes another slow sip of his ale and then grins. "At least I'll be sure to find out about the rumors back home that dwarven zombies are easier to handle than others! Always thought they were making that one up."


Male Weapons Specialist

Hathin eats and drinks in silence, alone at the end of the bar as always. It was clear to his companions that his skill with the musket was one of the few reasons that the Professor tolerated his presence. Never giving of himself and preferring solitude to company, he did not endear himself. And there was his dead eyes.... pupils black as the void and devoid of emotion.

Inwardly Hathin was struggling with the alien thoughts that sometimes invaded his head. Knowing that to sleep would be to invite vivid and terrible nightmares, he takes an ale and retreats to a corner of the room.


'Human Boy'
Perception DC 26:
That's not a boy. It's a Halfling man!
Summoner (Synthesist) 4, HP 24/24, AC 12/t 12/f 11, F3 /R3 /W3, Init +1, Sp:. 1st 4/4, 2nd 1/2, SMI 7/7

As he brushed 'Precious' down before entering the inn, Grey likely enters as Haundo is leaving.
"Where go you Nachthund?" To the others. "The animals are groomed & bedded for the night, 'Purpose' smells no fresh reek of Urgathoa's pawns, but the folk of this township are skinnier than Hathin's charm." Sorry, couldn't resist. "Professor, how long do we stay here before we move on? Perhaps we should see to the surrounding locale before we go?"


Male Human Student 1

After stabling the oxen Thanks Haundo. Kasavan is in the alley over there. I'll help you keep watch after I get a drink, and a bath if I'm lucky.

Returning to the main room of the inn, So what's the word Dr? Job's not done 'til we reach Absalom, but getting there may be a bit difficult. Hey Dagor! How many shambler skulls do ya think we'll take? They're not a proper fight, but good enough for practice.


With a guffaw, Dagor replies to Abasi, "Dozens to be sure! If a group of 'em catch us at night, they might be considerate enough to leave a few bruises. Think we'll lop off some of those giants, ya' wager?"


Sorry about not posting yesterday, internet troubles.

The professor responds to Grey. "We should be leaving tomorrow morning. I just wanted to stop by to see an old friend, get a warm meal, and a real bed. Quantium has a port so we should be able to obtain passage to Absalom on a ship.
..............................

The next morning comes and everyone has breakfast. You are each given a cure light wounds potion, a gift from Sammy. Dr.Frennel then asks you to check your things and to get ready. He wants to leave within the hour. Once you are ready he wants you to wait for him at the front gate.


'Human Boy'
Perception DC 26:
That's not a boy. It's a Halfling man!
Summoner (Synthesist) 4, HP 24/24, AC 12/t 12/f 11, F3 /R3 /W3, Init +1, Sp:. 1st 4/4, 2nd 1/2, SMI 7/7

"Urgathoa's spawn are never to be underestimated, even the mindless are a threat if not given due respect"

Watcher Uatu wrote:


The next morning comes and everyone has breakfast. You are each given a cure light wounds potion, a gift from Sammy. Dr.Frennel then asks you to check your things and to get ready. He wants to leave within the hour. Once you are ready he wants you to wait for him at the front gate.

"Sammy, once again, thank you for your hospitality. Though it may not be before the unending line, I hope to see you again someday." As his gear is still largely packed it takes Grey short minutes to prepare & he then makes his way, along with 'Purpose', to the Gate Yard.


Before retiring for the evening Bah!

Before we leave, Sammy. You know anyone who can handle a wagon that'd be willing to come along with us and help out? The pay'll be fair and a chance to find out what's going on out there, maybe get some needed supplies.

If no one is willing, and nothing else comes up, Abasi will get the wagon and Kasavan ready by the gate.


Abasi Omondi wrote:

Before retiring for the evening Bah!

Before we leave, Sammy. You know anyone who can handle a wagon that'd be willing to come along with us and help out? The pay'll be fair and a chance to find out what's going on out there, maybe get some needed supplies.

If no one is willing, and nothing else comes up, Abasi will get the wagon and Kasavan ready by the gate.

Sammy replies. "You can ask around. A few people left a day or so before you showed up. Some others were on the edge of going, but changed their mind at the last minute."

You can make a diplomacy check to see if you can convince anyone to tag along.


Dagor lays his pack near the front gate soon, ready to leave. As he leans his back against the stone wall, he reflects on the efforts of Abasi. "Anyone able bodied enough should have gone already," he mutters to himself. Watching the guards and residents passively in the time remaining, he waits for everyone to arrive.


diplomacy 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (4) + 0 = 4
[ooc]Okay, so that failed.[/dice]
Ah well, guess I'll just have to do it myself.


Abasi Omondi wrote:

diplomacy 1d20 + 0

[ooc]Okay, so that failed.
Ah well, guess I'll just have to do it myself.

You go around the town trying to gather up anyone who would want to join or might be help. People give you strange looks before they walk off, some snickering.


Male Weapons Specialist

After a fitful sleep Hathin awakens tired but rested. Accepting the gift from Sammy, he thanks him before making ready to resume the march.

Moving to the front gate, he focuses his eyes on what is outward and in the wastes - straining his eyes looking for movement.

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (8) + 10 = 18 no need to respond to this is I don't see anything


Male Half-Orc Ranger (Shifter) 3/day

Athanasius had headed to bed early the night before. He preferred to get his sleep when he could and he had no clue when he would get the chance to sleep in relative safety.

The next morning he would awaken early and head to the gates, thanking Sammy for his generosity with a simple nod of his head as he went, to chatter with whatever guards were present. He wished to find out any further information on the attacks and the events leading up to them that he could.

While he spoke with them, he would keep his eyes and nose open for the distinct scent of undead.

1 to 50 of 1,511 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Flesh and Bone-A Zombiepocalypse Story All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.