Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


DM Cobalt's Unshackled City

Game Master Craig Mercer

Our heroes are based in Cauldron, the northernmost city in Varisia. There they try to survive missions for the city, intriques, and maybe even save the world... or maybe not.


801 to 850 of 1,361 << first < prev | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | next > last >>
Shadow Lodge

HP: 24/24, AC: 14, T: 11, FF: 13, F: +4 , R: +2 , W: +6, CMB: +4 , CMD: 14, INIT: +1, Perception: +7, Male Human Cleric 3
DM Cobalt wrote:
I’m Jenya, the acting high priest. What may I do for you today?"

Taking a knee in reverence, both towards the locate as well as the person, "Hail, mistress. I am Sir Soth-Loren, son of Brightblade and recently arrived at thy modest city. I come with the intent of prayer and of the tithing, but would also seek thy wisdom in order to help thee."

Once bidden to rise, "And milday, the brave Emyralda. She does also seek to aid thee. We where made to understand that there have been two murders recently. Targetting those of authority in this sanctuary. We, would like to help, if thou wouldst allow it, mistress."


HP 35/36, AC 11/11/10, F+5, R +1, W+2 Init. +1, Perc. +9

"That's the thing, Terra. I don't feel any different after casting the spell, except maybe a little bit more tired. I can only cast it a few times per day before I am completely too exhausted to do it again. Oh yeah, I love not needing to use those little substances to use magic that I see you are carrying around with you.". Cosing her eyes, she shrinks back to her normal size and listens to the two friends talking about Transmutation magic. "A spell adding strength? That is a good idea! I'll have to watch you cast that one," she blurts out excitedly.


HP 16/35, AC 18, CMD 19/22, Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +1, Init +2

GMC, got it. I'll pay the gold.

"Yep. Already talking over my head. I'm going to take a look in their philosophy section. I paid to be here, I might as well get my money's worth. I'll stick my head back in later. You two have fun."

Darian meanders out into the rows of books, quickly losing himself among them.


"Good morning, High Priestess Jenya. May Desna smile on you and your endeavors," Emyralda says, bowing respectfully to the priestess of Saerenrae.

"As Sir Brightblade stated, we have come to offer you our assistance. Master Estaban at the City Hall told us earlier this morning that two of your predecessors had been murdered. Please accept our condolences for your loss," Emyralda offers consolingly.

Diplomacy check (if needed): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23


Felix
"Certanly sir," the man agrees. "We have those sorts of arrowheads made. They tend to be a standard item for adventurers. How many do you need?"


Emyralda, Soth-Loren

"Please, I am only acting High Priest, due to the deaths of my superiors," she says to Emyralda.
"Over the last six months, both High Priests assigned here have met with mysterious deaths at the hands of unknown assassins. No one has any clue as to why they were slain, or any solid motive as to who might want such a thing."
She sighs deeply. "I am not trained enough to be in charge of this temple, yet due to these happenings, the Mother Church has decided not to send a new High Priest here. And I fear that the deaths have affected attendance here to. The charitable works we do might fail due to lack of support of the community."

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Elf Urban Ranger 3, HP 28, AC 16, CMD 18, F +4 R +5 W +4, Init +4, Perc +10

"Lets say 40 Cold Iron and 20 Silver."


hp 25 | AC 13 | T 13 | FF 10 | CMD 14 | F +2 | R +4 | W +4 | Init +5 | Per +6 |

"Ok, But I might bother you with suggestions when I need them... If you don't mind. Taravel, care to help me scribe the bull strength spell into my book?"

Sorry. Been kinda busy. Soon as I have the chance I will update my spell book

Shadow Lodge

HP: 24/24, AC: 14, T: 11, FF: 13, F: +4 , R: +2 , W: +6, CMB: +4 , CMD: 14, INIT: +1, Perception: +7, Male Human Cleric 3

"And that must not be allowed to come about, mistress. Hath anyone made any attempts at thee? Any sort of threat or indication that thou art in danger? Has the temple any enemies?

Might I ask, who hath stopped attending? Anyone of note, or is it more the common man, fearful of rumor-mongering?"


HP 35/36, AC 11/11/10, F+5, R +1, W+2 Init. +1, Perc. +9

"I'd be happy to help, Terra, but writing down arcane formulae is not something I know how to do, I'm afraid. I'd better let you do that, so as I don't mess up your book. I'd like to learn though, if you wouldn't mind, so I'll watch you copy it."


DM Cobalt wrote:

"Over the last six months, both High Priests assigned here have met with mysterious deaths at the hands of unknown assassins. No one has any clue as to why they were slain, or any solid motive as to who might want such a thing."

She sighs deeply. "I am not trained enough to be in charge of this temple, yet due to these happenings, the Mother Church has decided not to send a new High Priest here. And I fear that the deaths have affected attendance here to. The charitable works we do might fail due to lack of support of the community."
Soth-Loren the Raven Knight wrote:

"And that must not be allowed to come about, mistress. Hath anyone made any attempts at thee? Any sort of threat or indication that thou art in danger? Has the temple any enemies?

Might I ask, who hath stopped attending? Anyone of note, or is it more the common man, fearful of rumor-mongering?"

"And if I may ask, how were your predecessors slain?" Emyralda asks Jenya.


Felix
"The cold iron arrows will be but 4 gold," the man replies, leading Felix over to shelves that hold bundles of arrows of all sorts.
"But which kind of silver arrows do you wish?" he continues. Alchemical silver, true silver, or mithral? The costs and effectiveness vary greatly depending on what they are made of."


Soth-Loren, Emyralda
"I have had no attempts on my life, as far as I know," Jenya answers. "And there are always enemies of the Dawnflower that wish to cause destruction, such as the Rough beast Rovagug, but none that I could say is behind this."

"It is both the common man and the richer merchants that have stayed away out of fear. While this temple still receives monetary gifts from those absent, they are not as large as they once were, and I fear we may not be able to support the orphanage as we did in the past."

"My predecessors were slain by poisons, and attacked in the darkness of night. They were wounded by small needle-like items, perhaps thrown or stabbed at close range. And they died here in the temple, where they should have been safe. No one, not even I, heard any sound of struggle or saw signs of attackers." She bows her head, and begins to weep.


Darian
As you look through the shelves of books on philoshopy, you encounter a tall man also reading through a volume. He notices you, and replaces the book back on the shelf before turning toward you.
He is a tall man, almost too thin, dresses in a colorful robe with a fur mantle across his sholders. Mystic symbols are set into his robe, and all his richly appointed accessories are also similarly incribed. Rings decorate his long fingers, and talismans and amulets are around his neck. His pale blond hair frames his thin face, and when he smiles at you, his almost too wide smile looks like it contains has far more thin teeth than it should (although a closer look counts a normal number, it must be only how wide he smiles).

"An adventurer you are, from the looks of it, and new to the city too, if I am not mistaken," he says in a suprisingly deep voice. His deep black eyes seem to bore into you as he strokes his thin but long goatee, still toothily smiling. "May I inquire as to your name, sir? I do have an interest in adventurers, you see. A great interest."

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Elf Urban Ranger 3, HP 28, AC 16, CMD 18, F +4 R +5 W +4, Init +4, Perc +10

"Alchemal silver will do for now."


Felix
"That would be 3 gold for Alchemical silver, so 7 gold for the lot," the clerk replies, pulling out three bundles of arrows from their resting places on the shelves.
"Is there anything else I can help you with, sir?" he asks helpfully.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Elf Urban Ranger 3, HP 28, AC 16, CMD 18, F +4 R +5 W +4, Init +4, Perc +10

"No thank you, but I will come back if i need anything else" felix tells the man as he takes his arrows and slides the gold to the man.

Gonna head back to the library

Shadow Lodge

HP: 24/24, AC: 14, T: 11, FF: 13, F: +4 , R: +2 , W: +6, CMB: +4 , CMD: 14, INIT: +1, Perception: +7, Male Human Cleric 3

Taking her head into his shoulder, Soth-Loren both attempt to tend to her tears as well as begin to walk her towards a more secluded area of the temple, lest others see and become even more disheartened at the state of affairs here. "Be strong, milady. These people look to thee to hold them up, and you must find a greeater power, a true faith within thee to banish these dark tidings and rise, both thyself and all those that dependeth upon thee up. Thou sayest that thee are unworthy, unprepared for the task that is lain at thy feet. . ."

"I say that thou hast a more noble spirit that this, and that thy potentual is still blossoming just as thy Dawnflower bloometh in great glory and specticle for all other to see. Though I followeth her not, though my lord doth count her as a trusted ally, so shall we account thee an ally and one to be aided as we are able. I would be happy to find out why this has transpired and to prevent it from doing so again. Thou say it was a poison, sent by a sort of needle? Perhaps we could begin there. That, to me, rings of a professional assassin, and certainly can not be a common instrument in these parts.


hp 25 | AC 13 | T 13 | FF 10 | CMD 14 | F +2 | R +4 | W +4 | Init +5 | Per +6 |

Terra continues working with Taravel's help. She is too engrossed in her spells to notice Darien meeting this other man.


HP 16/35, AC 18, CMD 19/22, Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +1, Init +2

In the library proper, Darian raises his eyebrows at the lanky man. "Yeah, you got me on both counts. Name's Darian. What can I do for you?"


Darian
"I am pleased to meet you, Darian. Quite pleased. As for what you can do for me, well, I've nothing to offer you... yet."

He pauses then, as if suddenly struck by a thought.
"Heh, heh, heh, perhaps there is something. Since I am fond of adventurers, could you possibly tell me some of your adventures? I do so love to hear adventurers speak of there adventures."


Emyralda, Soth-Loren

The main hall is empty of people currently, which strikes you as maybe a bit odd.
"Yes, I must be strong," Jenya says, whiping away her tears. She takes a step away from Soth-Loren and stands up straighter, encouraged by his words.

"Yes, an assassin is suspected, but there is no rumor as to why the High priests were killed. And no other assassinations like these have plagued the city either."


Terra, Taravel

If you listen, you can hear Darian's voice speaking to someone else.


Felix

A Perception Roll for you on your way back to the Bluewater Academy.

Perception DC 20:
As you pass the temple of Sarenrae, you hear the murmer of voices from inside. They sound like Emyralda's and Soth-Loren's, and another woman's voices.

Perception DC 30:
You catch the word "...assassin..."

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Elf Urban Ranger 3, HP 28, AC 16, CMD 18, F +4 R +5 W +4, Init +4, Perc +10

Can I take 10 on it? 20 if I can, but ill roll anyways Perc.: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (1) + 10 = 11


Sorry Felix, but it was just in passing, and they weren't trying to be loud. Just head on to the Bluewater Academy, this was just because you did pass, and there was a very small chance you might notice in passing. I wasn't depending on it.

The elf at the front desk of the Bluewater Academy smiles as you return.
"Your friends are still busy in the library. Do you wish me to send someone to fetch them?"

Shadow Lodge

HP: 24/24, AC: 14, T: 11, FF: 13, F: +4 , R: +2 , W: +6, CMB: +4 , CMD: 14, INIT: +1, Perception: +7, Male Human Cleric 3

"Had the High Priests anything in common besides their faith?"


HP 35/36, AC 11/11/10, F+5, R +1, W+2 Init. +1, Perc. +9

"Listen Terra...sounds like Darian's made a friend. Mind if I step over and see what's going on? My mind is a bit frazzled from all these symbols to be honest with you. you wanna come with me...a break might do you good as well."

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Elf Urban Ranger 3, HP 28, AC 16, CMD 18, F +4 R +5 W +4, Init +4, Perc +10

Felix slides a Gold to the man "Well they are still going to be there for a while, gonna go join them. I might peruse a little, but I will be careful."


Emyralda carefully considers all that Jenya has said regarding the murders, trying to find some clue that can help in the investigation.

"Jenya, you said that both High Priests were assassinated within the last six months. Did anything change within the church or within the city approximately six months ago? Any prominent newcomers? New criminal organizations on the rise? Strange or unusual phenomena?" Emyralda asks.

The young Varisian glances about the hall. "Is the temple normally so sparsely populated at this time of day?" Perception check: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19

Shadow Lodge

HP: 24/24, AC: 14, T: 11, FF: 13, F: +4 , R: +2 , W: +6, CMB: +4 , CMD: 14, INIT: +1, Perception: +7, Male Human Cleric 3

Looking to Emyralda, "All great questions, my friend." I'm trying to leave enough or both of us :)


hp 25 | AC 13 | T 13 | FF 10 | CMD 14 | F +2 | R +4 | W +4 | Init +5 | Per +6 |

"OK... just... give me... a minute..." Terra mutters, totaly engrossed in making sure everything is perfect as she scribes the spell into her book.


HP 16/35, AC 18, CMD 19/22, Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +1, Init +2

"Well, mostly I do bodyguard work. We just escorted a caravan through goblin territory. Had to kill quite a few of them. We've decided to head back to clear out their camp and see if we can take down whatever is organizing them. That's the mist recent story. Honestly, before that I was just a soldier. Not a lot of adventures. Just a lot of bad memories. I like this adventuring thing a whole lot more."


Felix
"There are more than just spell research in the books in the library," the elf says as he takes your money and gives you a token. "There are also collections of stories, histories, beastiaries, and records of expeditions long forgotten. I am sure you will find something to occupy your attention."


Darian, and others who join him

"That sounds very interesting," the gentleman says. "Indeed, I would say that the moneys paid for the eradication of these troblesome goblins is well worth your time. Ridding this fair city of its troubles is what heroic adventurers do, isn't it? Heh-heh-heh."


Soth-Loren, Emyralda

"As far as I know, High priest Elnor grew up here in Cauldron, and High priest Assaad was from a large temple in Katapesh," Jenya answers. "I do not believe that they had ever met."

"No prominent newcomers or criminals have shown up at that time, and I don't believe that there has been any strange occurances that started then. Even the goblin raids on caravans and the disappearences of folk had started before them."

"Yes, it is emptier," she says with a sigh. "Ever since the unfortunate deaths of the High priests, less folk are inclined to come in here. We will not close our doors, but..." She shakes her head sadly. "If this continues, we may not even be able to do our duty at the Flood Festival later this year."


"Flood Festival? What is the Flood Festival?" Emyralda asks, having never heard of a festival to celebrate flooding.


Emyralda, Soth-Loren

"When the autumn rains come, the level in the lake at the center of Cauldron fills up radidly. This causes flooding and hardships in the lower city. A several decades ago, before I was born, the flooding was so bad that almost all of Ash ave was underwater, and this cause a great many problems for the city. Although eventually the lake drains back to the level it is currently at, it was decided by the four temples in Cauldron never to allow this to happen again. And so, every year the temples have created several wands of Control Water to keep the lake from flooding."
"The citizens of Cauldron were so happy that a celebration started just before the rains come to commemerate this event. It has grown over the years to become the Flood Festival, a several day event of gaity and fun."
Jenya's face darkens a bit.
"Because the last several autumns have been drier than usual, the other temples have cut back on creating wands, since they are expensive to create, and not as many were needed. But if we can not do our share, there may not be enough wands, and with the loss of our High priests, we can not even enchant the wands ourselves. Controlling water is beyond my capability. High priest Assaad said that he had arranged for the problem to be taken care of, but he died before he could give me any details."


"How long ago was High Priest Assaad murdered? Can we see where his body was disovered?" Emyralda asks.


Emyralda, Soth-Loren

"He was murdered almost two months ago, here in this hall, before the altar. When we came out for the morning devotions, his body was just... just lying there."
Jenya closes her eyes for a moment, working to control her emotions.


"I'm so sorry to bring up such disturbing memories, Jenya. I'm sure the authorities investigated the scene thoroughly, but do you mind if we examine the area around the altar?" Emyralda asks the priestess.

Assuming Jenya gives permission Emyralda will take 20 on Perception check for a total score of 25 to search for any clues around the altar, searching for signs of a trap that may have been set for the High Priest or likely locations from which an assassin may have fired a dart from a blowgun or anything similar.


Emyradla, you find nothing but a recently swept stone floor (no sign of any traps). Since the altar is on a slightly raised dias (just two steps up), just about any location in the temple would have a clear shot for a blowgun. It would be hard to sneak up on someone there because of the lack of cover, but if they were deep in prayer and you were very quiet, it could be done.


HP 35/36, AC 11/11/10, F+5, R +1, W+2 Init. +1, Perc. +9

"Hello again Darian," Tara nods as she walks toward the familiar voice. "I'm Taravel. Don't let Darian be modest...it sounds like they took out a large retinue of those evil little buggers."


Taravel, Darian, and others who join

"Well, another of your band appears before me, heh, heh, heh," the tall, brightly-dressed man says, grinning at Taravel (but not quite a leer). "I do so love adventurers, they make the city so bright with their heroics. Pleased to meet you, m'lady." He gives a bow, his spidery arms making it a grandly overdone gesture.


HP 35/36, AC 11/11/10, F+5, R +1, W+2 Init. +1, Perc. +9

Taravel peeks at Darian out of the side of her eye, waiting on some clue as to what exactly he thought of the newcomer before adding anything else to the conversation. Did I tell more than Darian would have wanted me to?. She returns the polite bow, not quite as deep as the fellows.

Shadow Lodge

HP: 24/24, AC: 14, T: 11, FF: 13, F: +4 , R: +2 , W: +6, CMB: +4 , CMD: 14, INIT: +1, Perception: +7, Male Human Cleric 3

"It soundeth as though thou hast a good raport with the other temples of this city. Perhaps, with the understanding of the loss of the other High Priests so recently, and the difficulties thou hast, we might speak with them and work out some sort of deal on thy behalf. Would yo allow this, milady? I was meaning to travel to the Temple dedicated to Abadar, anyhoe, milady. I'd be happy to discuss this with them. Certainly in their wisdom, they would be understanding, and possibly even willing to offer thee aid.

Out of curiosity, was any sort of raising of the High priests attempted, and if not why?. . . If I may ask?"


Soth-Loren, Emyralda

"You are mistaken, Sir Soth-Loren,"Jenya answers, with a trace of bitterness. "We have co-operated for the good of the city of Cauldron, but each temple tends to itself. The temples here do not willingly lend aid to any others, feeling that such matters are best viewed as being 'internal matters' to be handled by the temple in question alone.


HP 16/35, AC 18, CMD 19/22, Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +1, Init +2

Darian shrugs. "Well, someone's got to make the roads safe for travelers. If not us than who, right?"

Strange fellow

"Got bored watching Terra draw in her book?"


hp 25 | AC 13 | T 13 | FF 10 | CMD 14 | F +2 | R +4 | W +4 | Init +5 | Per +6 |

Draw, Draw, Draw.


HP 35/36, AC 11/11/10, F+5, R +1, W+2 Init. +1, Perc. +9

"I just learned there is only so much book learning that I can take. It's interesting, but I still can't seem to get the hang of it. I'm probably distracting Terra more than helping," Tara says with a laugh. "You find anything interesting?"

801 to 850 of 1,361 << first < prev | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Cobalt's Unshackled City All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.