ULTRA PLUS Catastrophe's Spark (Inactive)

Game Master Will Huston

Maps & slides
Challenge Points: 8 (low-tier)
Tags: Metaplot, Vigilant Seal


1 to 50 of 252 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>

Catastrophe's Spark. ◆◇↺

Please dot in here. You'll be starting in the camp of a major Pathfinder expedition in Iobaria' Finadar Forest.


Catastrophe's Spark. ◆◇↺

Eando Kline is stroking his beard, staring at a map pinned to the table inside his spartan pavilion. The hustle and bustle of the surrounding Pathfinder Expedition's camp is subdued and almost mournful. The map is labeled "Min-Khadaim" and various pins and wooden markers point at digs in progress, points of interest and possible threats. He looks up at the entering agents.

"Ah, How good of you to come on such short notice. We are in need of your expertise. Please, sit down," he motions at two benches on either side of the table.

"It is good to see you. Our mission into Iobaria has recently changed. While we’ve had expeditions into these lands before, with the Society back to strength it is now time to explore this frontier once more. At least, we thought it was, but no sooner had we begun than one of the Decemvirate was abducted by a demonic figure. We need to do further research to understand what may have caused this—we need to uncover the history of Koloran, the nation that once thrived here, far from the Ghol-Gan empire in Garund. Vigilant Seal members have been going around the city, inventorying sites of interest. We have begun excavating the entrance to an underground complex, led by fire iconography at surface ruins."

"One team has been making good progress widening the entrance here for
easy access, but they discovered a number of bones in the neighboring room, some quite fresh. These ruins are clearly not as abandoned as they first appeared to be. I need you to go to the site, thoroughly explore the ruins, and report back with anything you discover. Cyclops is a fairly obscure language, and it has changed somewhat since the days of Koloran, so I’ll be sending you with translation assistance.
" He produces a small leather-bound book and gently tosses it onto the table, before coughing into a handkerchief. "Any questions? *cough*"

DC 25 Nature OR Nat 20 OR you have a chronicle for PFS2 1-15 The Blooming Catastrophe on any character:
Initially unknown to the inhabitants of the Finadar Forest and their allies in the Pathfinder Society, far more damage had been done by cyclopean relics than was immediately apparent. These relics caused horrific scars and lingering Abyssal pollution to infect many of the innocent nature spirits that called the Finadar Forest home. Druids and other wielders of primal magic attempted to commune with these spirits, but eventually it was the Pathfinders who managed to cleanse the spirits of their Abyssal corruption.If you open this because you have 1-15 but did not succeed on a nature check, do not open the next nature spoiler
DC 15 Nature:
Iobaria is home to a rare species of highly flammable conifer pine known as bruorsivi, also known as blood pine. The forest had always been prone to brief, intense fires that burned out naturally or were contained by elf druids as well as centaur sages. In early 4719 AR, a massive fire swept through Iobaria’s Finadar Forest. This fire, fueled by the magic of an incomplete cyclopean ritual, was inadvertently activated by a small community of goblins living in the skeletal remains of an old draconic graveyard.

DC 25 Society or Nat 20:
The post-classical period of Ghol-Gan saw the cyclopes abandon their gods in favor of demons and other fell powers. This led to a period of excessive violence among the cyclopes.You also can open the DC 15 Society spoiler
DC 15 Society Check:
The best-known cyclops civilization is the Ghol-Gan empire. Scholars divide its history into four distinct eras: prehistoric, pre-classical, classical, and postclassical. The empire reached its height during the classical era, which saw the advent of writing and a long period of peace

Vigilant Seal

Hero Point 1/1 Male Tiefling Investigator Forensic Medicine (Cook) 2 | HP 24/24 | AC 19 | Fort +4 | Ref +9 | Will +7 | Perception +7, Darkvision| Movement 25ft | Conditions: None

Locke, a tiefling covered in food stains, sits back considering the briefing and taking note of his fellow pathfinders.

Nature: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21

Society: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23

"Did the bones that were uncovered appear to be animal, humanoid, larger?" Locke asks while trying to remember things about Ghol-Gan, which he shares if people seem interested.

Envoy's Alliance

Cavern Elf M Thief/Wizard 2 )| Magical Misfit | Darkvision| HP 26/26 | AC 19 | F +6 R +10 W +6 | Perc +6 | Stealth +10 |◆◆◆◇↺| 35" | Hero 1/3 | ◆Trick Magic Item| Nimble | Avoid Notice |

Nyx is a dark-skinned white-haired elf (not necessarily drow). He is dressed in dark-colored leather armor, and appears to be armed with a rapier and shortbow. He nods to all his companions present, and goes straight into business.

Society T: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18
Nature T: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9

Nyx picks up the small leather-bound book and opens it. While reading he says "Cyclopean is a dialect of Jotun, which I speak. The base language is the same. But, I wonder if the Cyclopean you're referring to is an old version or dead language?"

I've a character who's currently in PFS2 1-15 The Blooming Catastrophe, but he's dying and not likely to make it

Verdant Wheel

| Human Druid 1 | HP 17/17 | AC 17 | F: +3, R: +5, W: +9 | Perc: +7

A flame-haired, lightly tanned young human woman is standing nearby. She smiles and you wonder how she was not noticed earlier. She wears some well-worn studded leathers. A large dagger is on her belt and a walking staff attached to her rucksack. Some sort of leaf creature is gently floating around in the air near her.

"I grew up on a volcanic island near the Shackles. Very different from here. Lush rainforest, amazing plants. I know a bit about delving - I rescued a scholar from an underground complex a while ago. Tapio is part of the spirit of my island. I love exploring and learning. It's why we left our home. We gain the knowledge and experience we will need if it is ever threatened."

Nature: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10
Society: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5


Catastrophe's Spark. ◆◇↺

Kline has a hard coughing fit before he is able to answer Locke. "The site is little more than a few walls and rubble, but it has a staircase leading down into a much wider room. The staircase was partially blocked with rubble, so we had some junior agents clear it. When they finally got inside, they saw bones, some old and new, but they didn't recognize what the bones were specifically. That's why we're sending field agents rather than archaelogists."

Nyx Kirath wrote:
I've a character who's currently in PFS2 1-15 The Blooming Catastrophe, but he's dying and not likely to make it

I guess, technically don't open the spoiler, since it'd be a spoiler for the adventure? Sorry to hear it isn't going well.

Kline purses his lips and puts away his handkerchief, "Actually, I believe that the scholarship says modern Jotun descended from Cyclops with Thassilonian influences. You might be able to understand a few noun roots, but they're not mutually intelligible. This book is a record of the words and phrases we've translated so far in this site, so it should help you piece together the meaning of any text you encounter."

Envoy's Alliance

Cavern Elf M Thief/Wizard 2 )| Magical Misfit | Darkvision| HP 26/26 | AC 19 | F +6 R +10 W +6 | Perc +6 | Stealth +10 |◆◆◆◇↺| 35" | Hero 1/3 | ◆Trick Magic Item| Nimble | Avoid Notice |

"Thank you Kline."

Nyx reads what he can from the book.

any checks I need to make?

the DM turned in the RPGChronicle today. The character died. Our DM kept rolling criticals round after round. Just bad luck. 2 PCs dead

Horizon Hunters

Gnome Fey-Touched Psychic 1 | HP 15/15 AC16 | F +4 R +6 W +6| Focus Points 1/2 | Trained Perception +4, Low-Light Vision

DC 15 Society: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11

As he listens to Kline, Kenashgret starts to doubt in just how is he supposed to help with this mission until he gets to the part of translating Cyclopedean.

"Well, lucky for us I've studied that language, so that should helps us get started solving this mistery, though any help with it will be greatly appretiated. My knowledge should suffice to prevent any surprises though."


Catastrophe's Spark. ◆◇↺

Telua:
Cyclops came to power during the Age of Serpents, a period when the serpentfolk were the dominant race on Golarion. The cyclopes were subservient to the serpentfolk, and in many cases, their slaves.

Eando Kline writes down a few instructions to guide the group through the camp to where this building stands. The Pathfinder expedition camp is filled with carts hauling out debris, carpenters shoring up walls and junior Pathfinder agents clearing the long-abandoned streets. Off one small boulevard is a cordoned-off area with two junior agents standing watch.

"'ello there, me name's Daana, and that's Jaci," a curly-haired young women with buck teeth says, as she spots the field agents. She jerks her thumb at a broad-shouldered young man with an unfortunate haircut and acne scars. "We're the ones who found the bones, yeah? Let me show you down." She holds out her hand for a handshake.

The building is in ruins, though there are stairs leading down. "See, this hallway, its a bit odd, yeah? Its not that's too small for a cyclops to get through, but they'd have to duck and squeeze, I think," She chatters, "And see here, the mosaic tiles on the floor, yeah? Its the mosaic that made this one a priority to be searched. Think about how hard it be for a cyclops to lay all these tiles, yeah? A cyclops's hand, its, what, three or four times as big as ours, yeah? They'd have to spend a lot of time to lay down a mosaic this big."

"It could have been something besides a cyclops who made the mosaic," Jaci spouts up. His voice is halting, and cracks a little. He gestures at the stairs leading down.

"The bones are pretty obvious once you get down there, we spotted them right away, yeah?" Daana says, "I'd say be careful, but I've heard stories about you field agents, so... good luck!"

Now's the time to make any last minute purchases. The camp is well provisioned so you can get stuff from the quartermaster before heading down.

Verdant Wheel

| Human Druid 1 | HP 17/17 | AC 17 | F: +3, R: +5, W: +9 | Perc: +7

Telua will take a healing potion as her free consumable.

My glyph goes to Locke on the front line.

Vigilant Seal

Hero Point 1/1 Male Tiefling Investigator Forensic Medicine (Cook) 2 | HP 24/24 | AC 19 | Fort +4 | Ref +9 | Will +7 | Perception +7, Darkvision| Movement 25ft | Conditions: None

Locke will also take a free healing potion, and find it very reasonable to have a weapon in hand when going in.

Thanks Telua

Envoy's Alliance

Cavern Elf M Thief/Wizard 2 )| Magical Misfit | Darkvision| HP 26/26 | AC 19 | F +6 R +10 W +6 | Perc +6 | Stealth +10 |◆◆◆◇↺| 35" | Hero 1/3 | ◆Trick Magic Item| Nimble | Avoid Notice |

Nyx will purchase 1 minor elixir of life (3 GP) and will take his school item which is also a minor healing potion

Horizon Hunters

Gnome Fey-Touched Psychic 1 | HP 15/15 AC16 | F +4 R +6 W +6| Focus Points 1/2 | Trained Perception +4, Low-Light Vision

Ken will get a scroll of Heal from his school and hand it over to Telua.


Catastrophe's Spark. ◆◇↺

The stone stairway leads downward; the steps are large, larger than what is comfortable for humans, much less gnomes. As the group descends, the light from the sun above is blocked and it becomes very dark very quickly. Light sources?

There's a musk that hangs in the air. One section of the room contains shelves and barrels, while another holds crates. The entire floor is littered with broken clay, loose stones and various bones.

We're not technically in initiative yet, but try to hold yourself to 3 actions. We are on Slide 4 in the slide links

Vigilant Seal

Hero Point 1/1 Male Tiefling Investigator Forensic Medicine (Cook) 2 | HP 24/24 | AC 19 | Fort +4 | Ref +9 | Will +7 | Perception +7, Darkvision| Movement 25ft | Conditions: None

Locke can see fairly comfortably in the dark, but will offer to pull out a torch for those that are struggling if they like, quietly stating Should I light a torch?. Otherwise he will move into the room and start examining the contents

Envoy's Alliance

Cavern Elf M Thief/Wizard 2 )| Magical Misfit | Darkvision| HP 26/26 | AC 19 | F +6 R +10 W +6 | Perc +6 | Stealth +10 |◆◆◆◇↺| 35" | Hero 1/3 | ◆Trick Magic Item| Nimble | Avoid Notice |

Nyx goes ahead of everyone else (Scout Exploration Activity). He does not bring any light sources with him, but instead relies on his darkvision. He doesn't stray too far tho, going only as far as the edge of the light.

Horizon Hunters

Gnome Fey-Touched Psychic 1 | HP 15/15 AC16 | F +4 R +6 W +6| Focus Points 1/2 | Trained Perception +4, Low-Light Vision

Kenashrget only has low light vision so he'll need at least some sort of light, which could be from one of his torches. He's ok with going last so that their prescence is not THAT obvious as they move forward.

His exploration activity will be searching (+4).

Verdant Wheel

| Human Druid 1 | HP 17/17 | AC 17 | F: +3, R: +5, W: +9 | Perc: +7

Telua also Searches (+7).

Verdant Wheel

| Human Druid 1 | HP 17/17 | AC 17 | F: +3, R: +5, W: +9 | Perc: +7

"These smaller areas could have been used by the serpent folk that ruled the Cyclops?"


Catastrophe's Spark. ◆◇↺

GM Screen:
Ken: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8
Telua: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17

Ahead of the group, there are a few piles of bones, and what appears to be the husk of some sort of insectoid, maybe the size of a dog or a gnome.

Do you move forward to investigate? I've marked the husk on the map.

Vigilant Seal

Hero Point 1/1 Male Tiefling Investigator Forensic Medicine (Cook) 2 | HP 24/24 | AC 19 | Fort +4 | Ref +9 | Will +7 | Perception +7, Darkvision| Movement 25ft | Conditions: None

Unless there are any objections Locke will absolutely go and investigate the husk. "Hmm, let's take a looksie, shall we."

Locke has a Perception +6, and Forensic Acumen with medicine +4 if appropriate


Catastrophe's Spark. ◆◇↺

GM Screen:
Locke: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10

As Locke investigates the carapace of crab-like creature, he fails to notice the filament entangled around it. He touches it and it immediately seems to stick to his hand. Then, with mounting horror, he spots the filament leads deeper into the room, connected to a much larger crab-like creature on a ledge on the opposite side of the room. It seems to be about to start pulling Locke in.

Red Init: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13
Nyx Init, Stealth, Scout bonus: 1d20 + 7 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 7 + 1 = 21
Telua Init, Perception, Scout bonus: 1d20 + 7 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 7 + 1 = 10
Kenashrget Init, Perception, Scout Bonus: 1d20 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 4 + 1 = 11
Locke Init, Perception, Scout Bonus: 1d20 + 6 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 6 + 1 = 25

Round One
Locke (Grabbed by filament) (16/16 HP, AC 18, □□ Hero Points)
Nyx (14/14 HP, AC 18, □ Hero Point)
Red (Nature needed to identify) 10 feet above the floor
Kenashgret (15/15 HP, AC 16, □ Hero Point, holding a lit torch)
Telua (17/17 HP, AC 17, □ Hero Point)

Bold are Up
(It is on the map on page 4 of the slides, along with a bigger picture so you can see what Locke sees)

Vigilant Seal

Hero Point 1/1 Male Tiefling Investigator Forensic Medicine (Cook) 2 | HP 24/24 | AC 19 | Fort +4 | Ref +9 | Will +7 | Perception +7, Darkvision| Movement 25ft | Conditions: None

Locke is going to try and cut the filament off himself and try and get a better idea what's going on for the party.
◆Attempt to cut the filament off myself Attack?: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 71d6 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
◆Devise a Stratagem (Red)To be subbed if attacking Red: 1d20 ⇒ 16 included RK Nature: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16
He will relay any information he got while attempting a secong time to free himself
◆Second Attempt Attack? with MAP?: 1d20 + 6 - 5 ⇒ (17) + 6 - 5 = 181d6 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3

Known Weakness:
Gives the RK as part of the Devise action, if it crit succeeds I notice a weakness and get a +1 circumstance bonus, which I can pass on to allies by relaying the info, probably not in this case


Catastrophe's Spark. ◆◇↺

Locke recognizes this creature as an animal known as a Cave Fisher. These ambush predators can shoot sticky filaments at prey and pull them back in. Its possibly to cut through the filament with a slashing weapon though it won't harm the cave fisher directly.

In his second attempt to cut the filament, his shortsword is able to get at the filament but his sword fails to saw through it.

Round One
Locke (Grabbed by filament) (16/16 HP, AC 18, □□ Hero Points)
Nyx (14/14 HP, AC 18, □ Hero Point)
Red (Nature needed to identify) 10 feet above the floor
Kenashgret (15/15 HP, AC 16, □ Hero Point, holding a lit torch)
Telua (17/17 HP, AC 17, □ Hero Point)

Bold are Up

Envoy's Alliance

Cavern Elf M Thief/Wizard 2 )| Magical Misfit | Darkvision| HP 26/26 | AC 19 | F +6 R +10 W +6 | Perc +6 | Stealth +10 |◆◆◆◇↺| 35" | Hero 1/3 | ◆Trick Magic Item| Nimble | Avoid Notice |

Nyx draws his rapier. He runs towards Locke and stops just short of him.

◆Interact to draw weapon
◆Step
◆Seek Perception+5

Not sure what's going on, he asks "What's wrong?"


Catastrophe's Spark. ◆◇↺

Nyx, I think its reasonable that you'd have your weapon out, so if you want to do something with that action, go ahead.
With his darkvision, Nyx can easily see the creature at the far wall and the thin wire-like filament that has connected and restricted Locke.

The Cave Fisher begins to retract its filament.

Pull Filament vs Locke's Fort DC, DC 13: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24

With such success, its able to pull Locke all the way to it, his feet slightly off the ground.

Claw vs Lockes AC, 18: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (17) + 10 = 27
the Pull Filiament does not have the attack trait
Slashing Damage: 1d10 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14

Claw vs Locke's AC, AC 18: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23
Slashing damage: 1d10 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12

Both claws dig into Locke's body, and the cave fisher releases Locke to get more food.

Round 1 and 2
Locke (0/16 HP, AC 18, □□ Hero Points) (Round 2) (Dying 1)
Nyx (14/14 HP, AC 18, □ Hero Point) (Round 2)
Red (Nature needed to identify) 10 feet above the floor
Kenashgret (15/15 HP, AC 16, □ Hero Point, holding a lit torch) (Round 1)
Telua (17/17 HP, AC 17, □ Hero Point)(Round 1)

My goodness, I'm so sorry, Locke. I'd say Locke, you should wait until everyone makes their turn before you do anything.


Catastrophe's Spark. ◆◇↺

Wait, wait, wait, looking a little deeper into the three dimensional movement rules, the crit success Pull fillament moves you 30 feet, but my cave fisher is 10 feet up, and counting the diagonals, we're 35 feet apart. so we'll negate that third attack, and let's see if I succeed at an athletics check to pull you up.

Athletics: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (19) + 10 = 29

Okay, yes, it spends 2 actions pulling you adjacent to it and then claws you for 14 pts of damage. Still bad but not quite as terrible

Round 1 and 2
Locke (2/16 HP, AC 18, □□ Hero Points) (Round 2)
Nyx (14/14 HP, AC 18, □ Hero Point) (Round 2)
Red (Nature needed to identify) 10 feet above the floor
Kenashgret (15/15 HP, AC 16, □ Hero Point, holding a lit torch) (Round 1)
Telua (17/17 HP, AC 17, □ Hero Point)(Round 1)

Vigilant Seal

Hero Point 1/1 Male Tiefling Investigator Forensic Medicine (Cook) 2 | HP 24/24 | AC 19 | Fort +4 | Ref +9 | Will +7 | Perception +7, Darkvision| Movement 25ft | Conditions: None

I'll post actions in a bit, while it pulled me did I drop my sword or is it still in my hand "Uh-ooooooooooh" is heard trailing off as Locke gets pulled in.

Envoy's Alliance

Cavern Elf M Thief/Wizard 2 )| Magical Misfit | Darkvision| HP 26/26 | AC 19 | F +6 R +10 W +6 | Perc +6 | Stealth +10 |◆◆◆◇↺| 35" | Hero 1/3 | ◆Trick Magic Item| Nimble | Avoid Notice |

@GM Ultra Plus, thanks. Nyx will draw an extra dagger out

Nyx runs after Locke, following his path (so as not to trigger traps). He throws his dagger at the red thing grabbing his colleague.

◆Stride
Strike: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 131d4 + 3 + 1d6 ⇒ (2) + 3 + (3) = 8
◇Drop Rapier
◆Draw Shortbow


Catastrophe's Spark. ◆◇↺

You'd still have your weapon

Verdant Wheel

| Human Druid 1 | HP 17/17 | AC 17 | F: +3, R: +5, W: +9 | Perc: +7

Telua moves in, speaks in an unknown tongue and blasts the creature with lightning. Electric Arc, DC17 reflex: 1d4 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6

Vigilant Seal

Hero Point 1/1 Male Tiefling Investigator Forensic Medicine (Cook) 2 | HP 24/24 | AC 19 | Fort +4 | Ref +9 | Will +7 | Perception +7, Darkvision| Movement 25ft | Conditions: None

Since he's in the grasp of the Cave Fisher and pulled up close Locke is going to try and hack his way out.

Devise a Stratagem Cave Fisher: 1d20 ⇒ 19 Nature: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16
Strike w/ Devise subbing Int: 19 + 7 = 26 Damage, Piercing: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6
Strike Attack w/ MAP: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4Damage, Piercing: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3

"I seem to be in quite the pickle," gasps Locke.


Catastrophe's Spark. ◆◇↺

I'm waiting for everyone to post to resolve everything, but Locke, I believe you do an extra d6 of damage. Look at Strategic Strike

Horizon Hunters

Gnome Fey-Touched Psychic 1 | HP 15/15 AC16 | F +4 R +6 W +6| Focus Points 1/2 | Trained Perception +4, Low-Light Vision

Ken will double stride into position and then cast shield on himself.

◆◆ Stride
◆ Shield

Vigilant Seal

Hero Point 1/1 Male Tiefling Investigator Forensic Medicine (Cook) 2 | HP 24/24 | AC 19 | Fort +4 | Ref +9 | Will +7 | Perception +7, Darkvision| Movement 25ft | Conditions: None
GM Ultra Plus wrote:
I'm waiting for everyone to post to resolve everything, but Locke, I believe you do an extra d6 of damage. Look at Strategic Strike

You're totally right, I was making sure to post something while dealing with a sick cat and totally forgot it. Thanks for the reminder

Precision: 1d6 ⇒ 2


Catastrophe's Spark. ◆◇↺

Reflex save: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13

Kenashgret rushes forward and stays in a defensive posture, but perhaps most importantly, brings the light forward for his teammates. With a clear line, Telua lets loose a bright blue lightning bolt that sizzles the crab-like cave fisher. Luckily, its filament doesn't conduct electricity, saving Locke from more pain.

Locke, desperately fighting for his life, finds a weak spot and gets a good slice through its armor, but doesn't find anything new about his opponent. because repeated Recall Knowledge checks are harder, that fails to recall new information. Nyx's dagger hits the ledge and clatters to the ground, as he decides to take another tack to defeat his foe.

Claw, vs Locke AC 18: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (1) + 10 = 11
Claw, MAP vs Locke AC 18: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9
Claw, 2MAP, vs Locke: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (16) + 0 = 16

The Cave fisher tries to gut Locke again, but Locke's been working on his core strength, and with a massive heave pulls himself up out of the way from the cave fisher's first claw. Using that same momentum, Locke deftly dodges out of the way of the snapping right claw. There just enough elasticity in the sticky filament that Locke, clinging to the sticky filament bobs down below the left claw again!

So normally a grabbing creature would have to spend an action to grab you again, but the way sticky filament works is that if you are in it, you are grabbed until you escape.

Round 2 and 3
Red (Cave fisher) 10 feet above the floor (-14 HP)
Kenashgret (15/15 HP, AC 16, □ Hero Point, holding a lit torch) (Round 2)
Telua (17/17 HP, AC 17, □ Hero Point)(Round 2)
Locke (2/16 HP, AC 18, □□ Hero Points) (Round 3)
Nyx (14/14 HP, AC 18, □ Hero Point) (Round 3)

Horizon Hunters

Gnome Fey-Touched Psychic 1 | HP 15/15 AC16 | F +4 R +6 W +6| Focus Points 1/2 | Trained Perception +4, Low-Light Vision

Ken will unleash his psyche and with the overflowing energy will try and freeze the nasty crab while using the remaining energy to aid one of his allies next strike.

◇ Unleash Psyche
◆◆ Ray of Frost (Amped) 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22, cold damage: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13, Ken gains temporary Hit Points equal to half the damage the target takes.
◆ Recall the Teachings
↺ Aid Occultism DC 20: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11

Envoy's Alliance

Cavern Elf M Thief/Wizard 2 )| Magical Misfit | Darkvision| HP 26/26 | AC 19 | F +6 R +10 W +6 | Perc +6 | Stealth +10 |◆◆◆◇↺| 35" | Hero 1/3 | ◆Trick Magic Item| Nimble | Avoid Notice |

Nyx shoots the creature with his bow.

Strike: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12 Piercing: 1d6 ⇒ 5
StrikeMAP: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7 Piercing: 1d6 ⇒ 3
◆Interact to pick up his Rapier

Finding his aim a little off and seeing Locke stuck in the sticky filament, he he picks up his rapier.

Vigilant Seal

Hero Point 1/1 Male Tiefling Investigator Forensic Medicine (Cook) 2 | HP 24/24 | AC 19 | Fort +4 | Ref +9 | Will +7 | Perception +7, Darkvision| Movement 25ft | Conditions: None

Seeing no better option than to do the same again Locke continues swinging
◆Devise a Stratagem Cave Fisher: 1d20 ⇒ 9 Nature: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21
I don't expect new info, literally crit fishing to try and give out some circumstance bonuses
◆Strike w/ Devise subbing Int: 9 + 7 = 16 Piercing: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7 + Precision: 1d6 ⇒ 4
◆Strike Attack w/ MAP: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17 Piercing: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

Verdant Wheel

| Human Druid 1 | HP 17/17 | AC 17 | F: +3, R: +5, W: +9 | Perc: +7

Telua maintains the charge in her blasts Electric Arc DC17: 1d4 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6 then she tries to work out what it is. Recall Knowledge, Nature: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21


Catastrophe's Spark. ◆◇↺

Okay, a couple things. Pretty sure your amped Ray of Frost does 1d10 not 1d20, Ken, and based on your skills stats, it should be +4 not +2, right?

Also, I've been forgetting that Locke should be flat-footed because he's grabbed. It would have affected previous rounds, I'm not gonna go back and change it, but going to remember it going forward

Reflex Save: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (20) + 9 = 29

Locke's sword isn't able to pierce the keratin armor of the cave fisher, and Nyx's arrows can't punch through. Even Telua's electric blast seems to do nothing. Telua remembers that Cave Fishers do have minds but not very strong ones, nor are they very fast. IE their weakest save is Will. They have a climb speed but only 15 feet, and the same for their land speed But Kenashgret's blast of cold hits true, and seems to crack his armor!

Claw vs Locke's Flatfooted AC: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (7) + 10 = 17
Slashing Damage: 1d10 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10

Locke's luck runs dry as the cave fisher cuts him deeply. Now that it has its meal, it needs to fend off the scavengers so it can eat him in peace. Its mouth cuts off the filament surrounding Locke and it scurries down the wall and towards Nyx.

Round 3 and 4
Red (Cave fisher) 10 feet above the floor (-23 HP)
Kenashgret (15/15 HP, AC 16, □ Hero Point, holding a lit torch) (Round 3)
Telua (17/17 HP, AC 17, □ Hero Point)(Round 3)
Locke (0/16 HP, AC 18, □□ Hero Points, Dying 1) (Round 4)
Nyx (14/14 HP, AC 18, □ Hero Point) (Round 4)

Envoy's Alliance

Cavern Elf M Thief/Wizard 2 )| Magical Misfit | Darkvision| HP 26/26 | AC 19 | F +6 R +10 W +6 | Perc +6 | Stealth +10 |◆◆◆◇↺| 35" | Hero 1/3 | ◆Trick Magic Item| Nimble | Avoid Notice |

Nyx grabs Locke's potion (assuming he has one) and makes him drink it. Then he makes a tactical retreat.

◆interact to get potion
◆interact to make Locke drink the potion
◆stride

if Locke doesn't have a potion, Nyx will give his. Also didn't roll for healing as I don't know what kind of potion he may have.

"Draw it away from Locke" he says to his other companions.

Vigilant Seal

Hero Point 1/1 Male Tiefling Investigator Forensic Medicine (Cook) 2 | HP 24/24 | AC 19 | Fort +4 | Ref +9 | Will +7 | Perception +7, Darkvision| Movement 25ft | Conditions: None

I should have 2 potions, the free one and one purchased, both are a d8

Heal from Nyx: 1d8 ⇒ 3
◆Stride to Stand Up
◆Manipulate Treat Wounds: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22 Heal: 2d8 ⇒ (3, 6) = 9
◆Interact to pick up sword

Cause of Investigator Methodology only immune to Battle medicine for 1 hour

Horizon Hunters

Gnome Fey-Touched Psychic 1 | HP 15/15 AC16 | F +4 R +6 W +6| Focus Points 1/2 | Trained Perception +4, Low-Light Vision

OMG, no idea how I missed that "small detail" lol. The +2 comes from Unleash Psyche, as the amped cantrip does not add spellcaster modifier to damage.

Ray of Frost real damage: 1d10 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6

For his second attack, Ken uses his unagmented cantrip, though this time the ray flies with incandescent energy, and he once again attemps to aid the next companion doing an attack on the crab.

◆◆ Ray of Frost 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24, Fire Damage: 1d4 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 4 + 2 = 7
◆ Recall the Teachings
↺ Aid Occultism DC 20: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27

Verdant Wheel

| Human Druid 1 | HP 17/17 | AC 17 | F: +3, R: +5, W: +9 | Perc: +7

Telua adds her own Ray of Frost, trying to supercool the creature. Ray of Frost: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 111d4 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6

Verdant Wheel

| Human Druid 1 | HP 17/17 | AC 17 | F: +3, R: +5, W: +9 | Perc: +7

She then steps to the side.


Catastrophe's Spark. ◆◇↺

No worries, Ken. I had treated it above as if you rolled a 5 on a d10, (that's the same as an 11 on a d20, right?) but the difference of a point of damage is not significant.

Kenashgret cooks the cave fisher, and the crab-like creature now looks to be on its last legs. Only a little push would be enough to knock it down. But sadly even with Ken's occult guidance, Telua's spells misses it mark. Locke and Nyx spend time getting Locke back to conscious, which freaks out the cave fisher which has no understanding of magical healing. It chases after the creature causing it so much pain, and it bears down on Kenashgret!

Claw vs Kenashgret AC 16: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24 Slashing Damage: 1d10 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12
Claw Vs Kenashgret AC 16, MAP: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19Slashing Damage: 1d10 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10

Round 4 and 5
Kenashgret (0/15 HP, AC 16, □ Hero Point, dying 1) (Round 4)
Red (Cave fisher) 10 feet above the floor (-27 HP)
Telua (17/17 HP, AC 17, □ Hero Point)(Round 4)
Locke (12/16 HP, AC 18, □□ Hero Points, Wounded 1) (Round 5)
Nyx (14/14 HP, AC 18, □ Hero Point) (Round 5)

Envoy's Alliance

Cavern Elf M Thief/Wizard 2 )| Magical Misfit | Darkvision| HP 26/26 | AC 19 | F +6 R +10 W +6 | Perc +6 | Stealth +10 |◆◆◆◇↺| 35" | Hero 1/3 | ◆Trick Magic Item| Nimble | Avoid Notice |

Nyx tries to draw the attention of the Cave Fisher. He fires two arrows at it, then withdraws. "Locke! Can you get to Kenashgret?"

◇drop rapier
strike: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17 P: 1d6 ⇒ 2
strikeMAP: 1d20 + 7 - 5 ⇒ (20) + 7 - 5 = 22 P: 1d6 ⇒ 4
◆Stride

Vigilant Seal

Hero Point 1/1 Male Tiefling Investigator Forensic Medicine (Cook) 2 | HP 24/24 | AC 19 | Fort +4 | Ref +9 | Will +7 | Perception +7, Darkvision| Movement 25ft | Conditions: None

I believe I shouldn't be wounded 1, as Treat Wounds restored HP

"On my way," Locke replies to Nyx while hustling over to the gnome.

◆Stride - Move to Kenashrget
◆Interact - draw his remaining potion would happily use Ken's if he has one, but my own if not
◆Interact - feed it to Ken Heal: 1d8 ⇒ 5

"Easy now, been down this road a few times myself, take your time. First time's the worst" says Locke trying to comfort his companion while getting him back on his feet


Catastrophe's Spark. ◆◇↺

Battle Medicine specifically says it doesn't remove the wounded condition. But with that crit, we are out of combat, and Locke's potions ends initiative.

Nyx's arrow strikes into the cave fisher's eye and it collapses in a twitching mess.

Man, 1d10+6 is way too strong for level 1s.

1 to 50 of 252 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / ULTRA PLUS Catastrophe's Spark All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.