ULTRA PLUS Catastrophe's Spark (Inactive)

Game Master Will Huston

Maps & slides
Challenge Points: 8 (low-tier)
Tags: Metaplot, Vigilant Seal


151 to 200 of 252 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
Envoy's Alliance

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Cavern Elf M Thief/Wizard 2 )| Magical Misfit | Darkvision| HP 26/26 | AC 19 | F +6 R +10 W +6 | Perc +6 | Stealth +10 |◆◆◆◇↺| 35" | Hero 1/3 | ◆Trick Magic Item| Nimble | Avoid Notice |

Nyx strikes the trollhound with his shortsword and dagger using a Twin Feint maneuver. He then disengages.
◆◆Twin Feint
strike: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27 Critical Piercing: 2d6 + 6 ⇒ (4, 4) + 6 = 14
strikeMAP: 1d20 + 7 - 4 ⇒ (18) + 7 - 4 = 21 Piercing and Sneak Attack: 1d6 + 1d4 + 3 ⇒ (3) + (1) + 3 = 7
◆stride

Vigilant Seal

Hero Point 1/1 Male Tiefling Investigator Forensic Medicine (Cook) 2 | HP 24/24 | AC 19 | Fort +4 | Ref +9 | Will +7 | Perception +7, Darkvision| Movement 25ft | Conditions: None

Locke will try and get into a position to help Nyx, hoping that Nyx and Jack can get this thing down
◆Stride
Devise: 1d20 ⇒ 8
◆Strike 8+7=15 for Piercing: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3 plus Prec.: 1d6 ⇒ 1


Catastrophe's Spark. ◆◇↺

Jack's fire blast seems to burn even brighter, like there's sort of oil on the skin of the trollhound that's combustible. The heat from its combustion burns away Telua's blast of cold to no effect. miss Nyx has tremendous success in cutting up the trollhound. It definitely couldn't withstand another six second of violence like this, even if Locke is unsuccessful in finding a weak spot.

Having an instinctive fear of fire, the trollhound chooses to try to beat down its biggest threat. It strides towards Jack, and tries to chomp on the leshy.

Jaws VS AC 16: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (12) + 11 = 23
Piercing Damage: 1d12 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12

The trollhand has Jack by the torso and tries to wrench him to the ground.

Athletics vs Jack's Reflex DC 17: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (7) + 11 = 18

Round 2

Blackfeather Jack (8/20, □□ Hero point, Prone)
Nyx (13/14 □□ Hero Points)
Telua (17/17 □ Hero Pint)
Locke (16/16 □■ Hero points)
Trollhound (-38)

Verdant Wheel

| Human Druid 1 | HP 17/17 | AC 17 | F: +3, R: +5, W: +9 | Perc: +7

Telua curses like a sailor then moves forwards and wreathes the Trollhound in lightning Electric Arc, Ref DC17: 1d4 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8

Horizon Hunters

Gourd Leshy Kineticist 1 HP 20 | AC 16 | F +9 R +7 W +4 | Perc +4 | Stealth +5

Jack skitters backward away from the trollhound, the crows shrieking above its head.

”YOUR FURY WILL NOT AVAIL YOU!”, he cries, as more fire pours out of his mouth.

Crawl, Elemental Blast (2-action, Fire)

Attack: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13
Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6F

Hero Point

Attack: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10

Envoy's Alliance

Cavern Elf M Thief/Wizard 2 )| Magical Misfit | Darkvision| HP 26/26 | AC 19 | F +6 R +10 W +6 | Perc +6 | Stealth +10 |◆◆◆◇↺| 35" | Hero 1/3 | ◆Trick Magic Item| Nimble | Avoid Notice |

Nyx re-engages the trollhound and makes two strikes with his blades.

◆Stride
◆◆ Twin Feint
Strike: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17 Piercing: 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5
StrikeMAP: 1d20 + 7 - 4 ⇒ (19) + 7 - 4 = 22 vs Flat Footed Piercing and Sneak Attack: 1d6 + 1d4 + 3 ⇒ (5) + (1) + 3 = 9

pls move my token, am on my phone. Thanks!


Catastrophe's Spark. ◆◇↺

done!

Envoy's Alliance

Cavern Elf M Thief/Wizard 2 )| Magical Misfit | Darkvision| HP 26/26 | AC 19 | F +6 R +10 W +6 | Perc +6 | Stealth +10 |◆◆◆◇↺| 35" | Hero 1/3 | ◆Trick Magic Item| Nimble | Avoid Notice |

thank you GM Ultra Plus

Vigilant Seal

Hero Point 1/1 Male Tiefling Investigator Forensic Medicine (Cook) 2 | HP 24/24 | AC 19 | Fort +4 | Ref +9 | Will +7 | Perception +7, Darkvision| Movement 25ft | Conditions: None

Locke goes chasing after the trollhound, trying to keep him away from Jack
◆Stride
Devise: 1d20 ⇒ 18
◆Strike 18+7 = 25 For Pierce: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6 plus Prec.: 1d6 ⇒ 6


Catastrophe's Spark. ◆◇↺

Reflex: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24

While three out of four Pathfinder were able to hit, without Jack's fire, the creature still stands. In fact, the same oily sheen grows and seems to cover wounds on the Trollhound.

Jaws vs Nyx AC 18: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (11) + 11 = 22
Damage: 1d12 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6
Athletics to Knockdown vs Nyx Reflex DC 19: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (20) + 11 = 31
Crit success damage: 1d6 ⇒ 1
Jaws vs Locke AC 1: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10

An irritable creature, it snaps and snarls at the two flanking it, biting into Nyx and tearing him to the ground. It fails to bite into Locke, though!

Round 3

Blackfeather Jack (8/20, □■ Hero point, Prone)
Nyx (6/14 □□ Hero Points, prone)
Telua (17/17 □ Hero Pint)
Locke (16/16 □■ Hero points)
Trollhound (-48)

Envoy's Alliance

Cavern Elf M Thief/Wizard 2 )| Magical Misfit | Darkvision| HP 26/26 | AC 19 | F +6 R +10 W +6 | Perc +6 | Stealth +10 |◆◆◆◇↺| 35" | Hero 1/3 | ◆Trick Magic Item| Nimble | Avoid Notice |

Nyx stands up, and drops the dagger he's carrying. He applies battle medicine upon himself. He then strikes with his shortsword.

◆stand up
◇drop dagger
medicine: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15 Heal: 2d8 ⇒ (6, 2) = 8
strike: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17 Versus Flanked piercing and sneak attack: 2d6 + 3 ⇒ (6, 2) + 3 = 11

Horizon Hunters

Gourd Leshy Kineticist 1 HP 20 | AC 16 | F +9 R +7 W +4 | Perc +4 | Stealth +5

Jack gets to his feet, and tries to char the creature’s wounds before they can close.

Stand, Elemental Blast (2-action, Fire)

Attack: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14
Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

Vigilant Seal

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Hero Point 1/1 Male Tiefling Investigator Forensic Medicine (Cook) 2 | HP 24/24 | AC 19 | Fort +4 | Ref +9 | Will +7 | Perception +7, Darkvision| Movement 25ft | Conditions: None

Locke having given Nyx some positional advantage and seeing Jack struggling with the fire, will back up and try and throw his only Acid Flask at the dog.

◆Stride
◆Interact
Throw: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25 for Persistent: 1d6 ⇒ 5 and 1 splash

Verdant Wheel

| Human Druid 1 | HP 17/17 | AC 17 | F: +3, R: +5, W: +9 | Perc: +7

Telua keeps up her electric arc ◆◆ Electric Arc DC17 Reflex: 1d4 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5 ◆ she moves little closer.


Catastrophe's Spark. ◆◇↺

Reflex v DC 17: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24
As long as I didn't crit succeed, the Troll hound dies

With the acid counteracting the trollhound's oily growth, Telua's primal fury and Nyx's quick slashes cut apart the trollhound beyond its healing capacity!

Combat over!

There is a stone finger on the ground, along with the trollhound's collar. The collar has bits of adamantine embedded in it, making it valuable artifact.

Society Check on the finger? Same deal as before, it would take 30 minutes

Envoy's Alliance

Cavern Elf M Thief/Wizard 2 )| Magical Misfit | Darkvision| HP 26/26 | AC 19 | F +6 R +10 W +6 | Perc +6 | Stealth +10 |◆◆◆◇↺| 35" | Hero 1/3 | ◆Trick Magic Item| Nimble | Avoid Notice |

Society: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24

Vigilant Seal

Hero Point 1/1 Male Tiefling Investigator Forensic Medicine (Cook) 2 | HP 24/24 | AC 19 | Fort +4 | Ref +9 | Will +7 | Perception +7, Darkvision| Movement 25ft | Conditions: None

Once sure the hound is well and truly dead, Locke will nuetralize the acid with some baking soda from his cooking supplies and collect the collar, and see if he can't help Jack's wounds while Nyx checks out the finger.

Medicine: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12
Hero Point: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21

Healing Jack: 2d8 ⇒ (8, 5) = 13

Verdant Wheel

| Human Druid 1 | HP 17/17 | AC 17 | F: +3, R: +5, W: +9 | Perc: +7

Telua produces a Goodberry each for Jack and Nyx.

"Swift and brutal. I'm glad we had the fire and acid."

Horizon Hunters

Gourd Leshy Kineticist 1 HP 20 | AC 16 | F +9 R +7 W +4 | Perc +4 | Stealth +5

The crows dissipate in tiny clouds of ash. Jack tips the top of his head at Locke and Telua.

”Thank you kindly”


Catastrophe's Spark. ◆◇↺

Jack is back to full, Nyx is down 8 HP

Nyx is pretty sure the finger reads "OF OUR DEVOTION REWARDED, OUR LORD UNSEALED"

At one point, you discussed resting. Would you like to do that, or push on through back on the route past the severed hand?

Envoy's Alliance

Cavern Elf M Thief/Wizard 2 )| Magical Misfit | Darkvision| HP 26/26 | AC 19 | F +6 R +10 W +6 | Perc +6 | Stealth +10 |◆◆◆◇↺| 35" | Hero 1/3 | ◆Trick Magic Item| Nimble | Avoid Notice |

"Thanks Telua for the goodberries! Very helpful!" He takes the berries and eats it.
Goodberries Heal: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8

"'Of Our Devotion Rewarded, Our Lord Unsealed' I wonder what this means? It sounds like it has some religious significance?"

Vigilant Seal

Hero Point 1/1 Male Tiefling Investigator Forensic Medicine (Cook) 2 | HP 24/24 | AC 19 | Fort +4 | Ref +9 | Will +7 | Perception +7, Darkvision| Movement 25ft | Conditions: None

"Well that makes two fingers we've found so far, hope it's not 5 we're looking for. Guess we head past where the creepy hand was if people are ready."

If I remember right, we were going to head back for supplies due to the troll hound and the lack of fire/acid in the group at the time, which is solved now. I'm happy to do either if people want/need

Envoy's Alliance

Cavern Elf M Thief/Wizard 2 )| Magical Misfit | Darkvision| HP 26/26 | AC 19 | F +6 R +10 W +6 | Perc +6 | Stealth +10 |◆◆◆◇↺| 35" | Hero 1/3 | ◆Trick Magic Item| Nimble | Avoid Notice |

"I'm ready. Let's head out."


Catastrophe's Spark. ◆◇↺

Its actually the 3rd finger you found so far.

A short corridor branches into a hallway lined with alcoves. The alcoves contain bones of varying sizes. One wall of the larger room is covered in a faded painting of cyclopes holding burning bowls up to a sky filled with storm clouds. An alcove in the opposite wall contains a polished block of white stone etched with designs of flames. Atop the block rests a finger made of gray slate. Around the polished block of stone, bones have been laid in careful patterns.

As the party approaches the finger, the bones briefly start swirling around in a malevolent vortex. But as the party takes out their weapons, the vortex falls, collapses in on itself, and covers the party in dust.

Nyx coughs slightly. Whatever magic lingered here has faded too much to be a threat.

We will need a society Check to decipher the finger.

Vigilant Seal

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Hero Point 1/1 Male Tiefling Investigator Forensic Medicine (Cook) 2 | HP 24/24 | AC 19 | Fort +4 | Ref +9 | Will +7 | Perception +7, Darkvision| Movement 25ft | Conditions: None

Society: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26

"All right let's see if this one makes any sense."

I forgot the the flint one. Just to put them all in one place in case we need the info later. I'm putting them down in a spoiler

Fingers:
Flint - "OUR EGO DEFERRED, THIS GIFT OF HEARTWOOD BLESSED"

Obsidian - "IF IVE PRAYED, MY LOYALTY PROFESSED"

Stone? - "OF OUR DEVOTION REWARDED, OUR LORD UNSEALED"

Fourth?

Vigilant Seal

Hero Point 1/1 Male Tiefling Investigator Forensic Medicine (Cook) 2 | HP 24/24 | AC 19 | Fort +4 | Ref +9 | Will +7 | Perception +7, Darkvision| Movement 25ft | Conditions: None

Also is it possible to declare the fingers as my Pursued Lead


Catastrophe's Spark. ◆◇↺

Yeah, that seems reasonable. That's a success but I'll update when I'm not at work


Catastrophe's Spark. ◆◇↺

Locke's translation comes out to "WITH THE POWER BESTOWED, OUR ENEMY HATH REELED"

The party continues the other way from the alcove. After the corridor winds for about a hundred feet, it opens up into a T-shaped room. Stagnant water pools in places where tree roots have pierced the ceiling. The floor is decorated with a huge mosaic depicting a dark plume of smoke rising from a fire to form storm clouds pierced by lighting. At the back, the room narrows to an archway, sealed with a lattice of branches woven together. A smooth dark gray stone protrudes from the lattice, roughly the size of the other fingers the Pathfinders have found.

DC 15 Religion on the mosiac:
the Mosiac, especially the storm clouds pierced by lightning, are filled with religious imagery related to the demon Urxehl, the Trollfather. Father Urxehl is the patron of storms, natural disasters, and trolls.

We are now on slide 7

Vigilant Seal

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Hero Point 1/1 Male Tiefling Investigator Forensic Medicine (Cook) 2 | HP 24/24 | AC 19 | Fort +4 | Ref +9 | Will +7 | Perception +7, Darkvision| Movement 25ft | Conditions: None

Religion: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12

"There's somethign familiar about that mosaic but I can't put my finger on it"

Fingers:

Flint - "OUR EGO DEFERRED, THIS GIFT OF HEARTWOOD BLESSED"

Obsidian - "IF IVE PRAYED, MY LOYALTY PROFESSED"

Stone? - "OF OUR DEVOTION REWARDED, OUR LORD UNSEALED"

Fourth - "WITH THE POWER BESTOWED, OUR ENEMY HATH REELED"

Verdant Wheel

| Human Druid 1 | HP 17/17 | AC 17 | F: +3, R: +5, W: +9 | Perc: +7

Religion (U): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9

Horizon Hunters

Gourd Leshy Kineticist 1 HP 20 | AC 16 | F +9 R +7 W +4 | Perc +4 | Stealth +5

Jack looks admiringly at the mosaic, then chuckles at the fingers.

”A poem! How marvelous! I wonder if there’s a tune for it?”

Envoy's Alliance

Cavern Elf M Thief/Wizard 2 )| Magical Misfit | Darkvision| HP 26/26 | AC 19 | F +6 R +10 W +6 | Perc +6 | Stealth +10 |◆◆◆◇↺| 35" | Hero 1/3 | ◆Trick Magic Item| Nimble | Avoid Notice |

Nyx fixes the fingers based on size so they would be arranged exactly like it would be on a live hand. Based on that arrangement, how would the poem read?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Catastrophe's Spark. ◆◇↺

Nyx realizes that the fingers aren't different sizes, so don't easily match up to a humanoid hand.

The finger jammed in the first slot to the left does have Cyclopean runes on it as well, if the Pathfinders wish to investigate. It is made of basalt.

The one you have marked as Stone is Crystal, and the 4th is Slate. They are also all on slide 2 of the slides.

Envoy's Alliance

Cavern Elf M Thief/Wizard 2 )| Magical Misfit | Darkvision| HP 26/26 | AC 19 | F +6 R +10 W +6 | Perc +6 | Stealth +10 |◆◆◆◇↺| 35" | Hero 1/3 | ◆Trick Magic Item| Nimble | Avoid Notice |

Religion: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8

Vigilant Seal

Hero Point 1/1 Male Tiefling Investigator Forensic Medicine (Cook) 2 | HP 24/24 | AC 19 | Fort +4 | Ref +9 | Will +7 | Perception +7, Darkvision| Movement 25ft | Conditions: None

Locke would very much like to look at the remaining finger, and would do his best to translate without touching (though he will touch if he has to).

Society: 1d20 + 7 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 7 + 1 = 25

Fingers:

Flint - "OUR EGO DEFERRED, THIS GIFT OF HEARTWOOD BLESSED"

Obsidian - "IF IVE PRAYED, MY LOYALTY PROFESSED"

Crystal - "OF OUR DEVOTION REWARDED, OUR LORD UNSEALED"

Slate - "WITH THE POWER BESTOWED, OUR ENEMY HATH REELED"

Basalt - ?

"Probably need to figure out this last one to figure out the order, assuming there is one, could be based of materials too I suppose"


Catastrophe's Spark. ◆◇↺

The last finger, made of basalt, reads

"NOW OUR LORD RESPLENDANT ON HIS TRONE"

Verdant Wheel

| Human Druid 1 | HP 17/17 | AC 17 | F: +3, R: +5, W: +9 | Perc: +7

"We aren't going to accidentally unleash something, are we?" Telua looks slightly concerned.

Vigilant Seal

Hero Point 1/1 Male Tiefling Investigator Forensic Medicine (Cook) 2 | HP 24/24 | AC 19 | Fort +4 | Ref +9 | Will +7 | Perception +7, Darkvision| Movement 25ft | Conditions: None

"I'd say there is a high probablility we do, but you never know unless you try

Five Fingers of Doom:

Flint - "OUR EGO DEFERRED, THIS GIFT OF HEARTWOOD BLESSED"

Obsidian - "IF IVE PRAYED, MY LOYALTY PROFESSED"

Crystal - "OF OUR DEVOTION REWARDED, OUR LORD UNSEALED"

Slate - "WITH THE POWER BESTOWED, OUR ENEMY HATH REELED"

Basalt - "NOW OUR LORD RESPLENDANT ON HIS THRONE"

Locke would try ordering the fingers in Obsidian, Flint, Crystal, Slate, Basalt order. So the poem reads "IF IVE PRAYED, MY LOYALTY PROFESSED, OUR EGO DEFERRED, THIS GIFT OF HEARTWOOD BLESSED, OF OUR DEVOTION REWARDED, OUR LORD UNSEALED, WITH THE POWER BESTOWED, OUR ENEMY HATH REELED, NOW OUR LORD RESPLENDANT ON HIS THRONE."

Verdant Wheel

| Human Druid 1 | HP 17/17 | AC 17 | F: +3, R: +5, W: +9 | Perc: +7

"Trone. That's important. Don't put anything in yet. What about Basalt to start? It's already stuck in."


Catastrophe's Spark. ◆◇↺

The basalt finger was stuck in the first to the left whole.

Vigilant Seal

Hero Point 1/1 Male Tiefling Investigator Forensic Medicine (Cook) 2 | HP 24/24 | AC 19 | Fort +4 | Ref +9 | Will +7 | Perception +7, Darkvision| Movement 25ft | Conditions: None

Misunderstood. Would try the reverse order of what I wrote, unless someone else has a better idea.


Catastrophe's Spark. ◆◇↺

Telua eventually figures out the order of the fingers, and inserts them into the reliefs. The matrix of vines retreats, and a gate lies behind it. In the remnants of the vines, Locke spots a skull, goblin most likely, and a pair of silver earrings.

Beyond the gate is a dark chamber, dimly illuminated by a red spark. When drawing closer it becomes clear that the spark comes from a fist-sized gemstone, affixed in the forehead of a large figure—a troll—sagging on some kind of throne. An earthy, piney scent pervades the room and tree roots hang down from the ceiling. A thick layer of fine dust makes it clear no one has been inside in quite some time. Tree roots wrap around the figure on the throne, securing him tightly, though the roots expand slightly to expand with his shallow breathing.

The gemstone sparkles, and a whisper in the party's head spreads. "Is someone there?"

Horizon Hunters

Gourd Leshy Kineticist 1 HP 20 | AC 16 | F +9 R +7 W +4 | Perc +4 | Stealth +5

Jack enters the chamber, feeling that it’s musty, yet welcoming.

He starts at the voice in his head. ”Yes we are”, he thinks in response.

Envoy's Alliance

Cavern Elf M Thief/Wizard 2 )| Magical Misfit | Darkvision| HP 26/26 | AC 19 | F +6 R +10 W +6 | Perc +6 | Stealth +10 |◆◆◆◇↺| 35" | Hero 1/3 | ◆Trick Magic Item| Nimble | Avoid Notice |

Nyx quickly scans the area to see if there's areas to hide in.

Vigilant Seal

Hero Point 1/1 Male Tiefling Investigator Forensic Medicine (Cook) 2 | HP 24/24 | AC 19 | Fort +4 | Ref +9 | Will +7 | Perception +7, Darkvision| Movement 25ft | Conditions: None

Well that's an odd sensation, never met a talking gemstone before

Locke is going to look around for invisible/hidden creatures Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23 (or +6 if secret roll)

forgive my spelling formatting traveling for the holidays and posting via mobile


Catastrophe's Spark. ◆◇↺

GM Screen:
1d20 ⇒ 3

"I've never met a talking person before," The gemstone deadpans, "Naxath here hasn't been chatty."

There aren't any places to hide, and Locke only sees the glowing pulsating gemstone. It doesn't seem to respond to Jack's thoughts. It might be able to project thoughts but can't read them.

Verdant Wheel

| Human Druid 1 | HP 17/17 | AC 17 | F: +3, R: +5, W: +9 | Perc: +7

"Dare I ask who Naxath is?" Telua asks with trepidation.

Vigilant Seal

Hero Point 1/1 Male Tiefling Investigator Forensic Medicine (Cook) 2 | HP 24/24 | AC 19 | Fort +4 | Ref +9 | Will +7 | Perception +7, Darkvision| Movement 25ft | Conditions: None

Does Naxath trigger any corresponding Recall check?


Catastrophe's Spark. ◆◇↺

it does not, Locke

"Do you dare? I've never met you so I don't know," the ruby speaks, "Assuming you do scrounge up the courage to ask, Naxath is the poor creature that I've spent the last, I don't know, thousands of years, resting upon."

"He's empty, don't worry about him."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Catastrophe's Spark. ◆◇↺

Meant to say this earlier, Telua definitely gets a hero point for figuring the riddle.

151 to 200 of 252 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / ULTRA PLUS Catastrophe's Spark All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.