GM Inara's Age of Ashes (Inactive)

Game Master inara14

Map of Breachill
Player's Guide
Loot Sheet (Editable)
Combat Maps
Breachill Items for purchase (L4)


1 to 50 of 281 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>

◆◇↻

Book 1: Hellknight Hill
Breachill, Isger
1st Lamashan 4721

The town of Breachill is nestled in the foothills of the Five King Mountains in the wilds of eastern Isger, about 50 miles from the Druman border. Compared to the region’s other settlements, this small town is young—just shy of 170 years old. Breachill began with the humblest of origins, as a barely functional outpost of human amnesiacs, but the aid and mentorship of a much-revered powerful wizard led these shivering and dying unfortunates to found the hardy and thriving town that exists today.

Further Breachill information:
Many of Breachill’s 1,300 residents are humans who trace their ancestry to one of these original pioneers, leading to the townsfolk’s identity as people who persevere and are self-sufficient by birthright. As a result, the residents of Breachill are brave and community minded and Breachill’s citizens tend to play as hard as they work, so the town counts numerous taverns among its many businesses. Unlike the insular inhabitants of many Isgeri towns, they welcome people of all types. After all, the townspeople owe their existence to the benevolence of a powerful wizard and adventurer—Lamond Breachton—whose legacy is so beloved that it is almost a religion. Practically without exception, any harsh words spoken in town against Breachton are taken as a challenge to most residents’ honour.

Today is the day of the monthly Call for Heroes. The sun has cleared the peaks of the Five King Mountains in the distance and is starting to warm the crisp autumnal air. There is a very slight fog hanging over the top of Breachill this morning, just about covering the tops of the five tall water towers surrounding the Fountain Circle in the centre of town.

Since the Breachill Town Council has been holding monthly Calls for Heroes for decades, a fair number of local traditions have built up around the event. One of the most adhered to is the visit to the 'Wizard's Grace', a popular local tavern. It's a great place to scope out the competition, schmooze with prospective hirers, or simply just have a stiff drink over a hearty lunch to work up courage before going into the town hall. In times past, the Grace would be brimming with both adventurers and those in need of such, but in recent months, things have been rather quiet. At midday, today only finds a little over a baker's dozen people inside, and three of those are staff members. The rich smell of rosemary boar stew and lentils pervades the room, the traditional meal served before the Call for Heroes. Trinil Uskwold, the owner of the Grace doesn't seem to be in much of a rush today since it is not so busy and can be seen bringing out a plate or two of stew to serve to anyone who requests.

This is the time before anything official begins in 3 hours time. You may choose to be in the Wizard's Grace described above as part of its traditional feast before the Call for Heroes or anywhere else listed in the Breachill Players Guide in town. This is the opportunity to write yourself into your character, get to know the place and perhaps each other! If you need to know anything about any town NPCs or places, do let me know!


HP: 28/28 | AC: 19 | F: +5, R: +10, W: +7 | attack +8/1d8, Per +6| | Active:

A family of halflings bustle in. Husband, wife, two daughters. One of which runs in with wide eyes and an even wider smile full of excited anticipation. "Poppi, food first, ogling second." the father chided but with warm amusement.

"The usual?" the staff member asks after a greeting, both knowing the family and knowing they would be here.

"Yes please, but with honey on the little one's toast today, she's expanding her horizons. Her own wee adventure. His hand pats the other daughter's head, who unlike her older sister, had stayed timidly behind her parents. Still with eyes gleaming and watching every detail.

The excited one returned to her parents table with an aggrieved sigh, already adopting teenager qualities at Four. Her coloration was blonde like her mother, and looked like she might take after her in looks as well. While the little one, a whopping Two, took after her father, dark brown and small, but she was as cute as a button could ever be.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
"Radiant" | Female human exemplar 5 | HP 48/83| AC 23 | Fort +13, Ref +7, Will +10 | Perc +9 | Focus: 3/3 | Hero Point: 1/3

The mother hoists the little child into her lap as she takes her seat. The halfling woman is full-figured, with straight blonde hair and warm green eyes. She's already dressed for the Call for Heroes, wearing her leather armor and green traveling cloak. She has leaned her longbow up against the wall for now as she helps get her children situated.

"There you go, Rosie," she says to the younger of her daughters. "I think you're going to really like the honey! It's sweet like your father. That's why I call him Honey Bunny, you know!"

She gives her husband a warm smile across the table.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
HP: 28/28 | AC: 19 | F: +5, R: +10, W: +7 | attack +8/1d8, Per +6| | Active:

The father returns the smile, but with a dusting of color to his cheeks. Even after all these years, he doesn't understand what his wife sees in him, but also because he knows where the bunny part comes from (as does anyone who has lived in town more than a few years).

"Da tastes like honey?" Rosie says softly, looking at her father like he might be growing something out of his head, making him laugh.

"No, wee one. It's just something we say, like when we say Poppi is like a roaring river, it means she busts through a room leaving chaos in her wake, not that she's turn to water." he ruffles the little one's head, and then the older one to make sure she doesn't feel left out, though he didn't need to worry since her eyes were fixed on anything dressed as an adventurer.

His daughter's attention makes the father's eyes drift back to his wife, and her gear. Worry fill them, since there is a question that has not come up yet, one avoided especially since his own sword was on his hip.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
HP: 12/24 | AC: 14 | F: +5, R: +4, W: +8 | Arc/Crft/Dip/Lor/Soc +6, Med/Nat/Rel +8, Per +10| Lvl 1: 3/3, Font 1/3, Wand 0/1, Foc 1/1 | HeP: 3 | Active:

The door opens again and a large farmer walks in, holding a brightly dressed doll in one hand. Once he's a little way from the crush near the door he stoops and puts the doll down on an empty table.

"Thaar you go Miss Orchid." He rumbles.

"Thank you Gerrin." The doll replies with a wide smile. "I could never have walked this far on my own."

"Thaar's fine Little Miss." The man replies before heading to the bar as Orchid turns slowly in place. She catches sight of a familiar family, or more accurately one of them catches sight of her and makes such a cacophony of noise that Orchid couldn't fail to notice them back.

"Orchy, Auntie Orchy!"

The doll's smile beams as wide as her tiny face allows and she turns and scrambles down the table, negotiating the drop from table to chair and chair to floor with the ease of long practise. She weaves among the other chair legs, followed by a number of fond smiles and moved legs, calling thank you's as she goes until she reaches the Twiddleton's table and accepts a hand from Bunnit to hoist her onto the table so she can embrace her god-daughter.

"Oh Rosie, you're getting so big!" She exclaims, "You'll be bigger than me soon! Bunnit, Valda, it's good to see you both. How are my favorite couple?"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
HP 17/26 | AC: 19(20) | F: +6, R: +4, W: +5 | Per: +6 | Int: +10, Dec/Dip/L:Eso: +8, Ath: +7, Arc/L:Pol/Nat/Occ/Rel: +4 | Speed 30ft | Active Conditions: Wounded 1 | Hero Points : 0/3

Arabella hadn't had the best morning thus far, and so the Chelaxian brunette was looking a little dour when she arrived at the Wizard's Grace. She'd eaten at the establishment often, not being a particularly good cook in her own home, and had been advised it was a common place for prospective heroes to gather before the town meeting decided whether their application would be accepted.

Perhaps getting immersed in the local tradition would bring her better luck than her latest presentation of the amended contract to Crink Twiddleton. He had hemmed and hawed about the whole thing at the Quarters and Bits and wasted a lot of time asking for a lengthy demonstration of her rather intriguing gnomish mace and chain lucky sidearm that was the only thing she'd brought into and out of military service in Cheliax.

In fairness, she probably should have thought of bringing her own distinctive weapon to Quarters before, considering what she had been trying to sell on behalf of the Molthune Armsrunners...but now she was here, feeling quite warmed up after having worked up a sweat from putting on that little show, only for Crink to give the same response again at the end. Still, his expression was slightly different this time, as if he really meant that he would think about it, so perhaps she had made an impact?

She now had the heavy chains of the weapon wrapped around her waist, the handle clipped to one hip while the mace wrested above the pouches of the other as she adjusted the straps in her breastplate to loosen them up and allow herself to cool down. Looking around, she gave a bit of a start when she thought for a moment she was looking at Crink, regarding him with a furrowed brow as she walked towards them, before realizing it was actually one of his relatives. Rubbing her forehead, she took up an empty table nearby, and looked to see if she could have food brought over, not wanting to interrupt the conversation this Twiddleton halfling and that rather scary Ravounel spouse of his was having with the curious temple aide she'd seen now and then at the Dreamhouse.


HP: 28/28 | AC: 19 | F: +5, R: +10, W: +7 | attack +8/1d8, Per +6| | Active:

How the doll can talk while the littlest amount them squeezes her SOOOO hard is beyond the understanding of humble Bunnit. "Well, Miss Orchid." he quickly moves the girl's cups of milk out of the danger zone for spillage "Are you attending the call today?"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Human Universalist Wizard 2 (HP: 22/22) (AC:14 [15 w/ Mage Armor] Fort: +5 Ref: +5 Will: +7) (Perc: +5)

The door to the Wizard's Grace opens ever so slightly, allowing a deep green eye to peer inside.

Oh, good! Getting prepared took so long, I was sure I'd be late for stew!

The door quietly closes and a second or two pass before it swings wide, revealing the form of a tall young woman, her neat golden braid swinging around from the force of the flourish. She steps inside confidently, careful not to scratch the walls or furniture with the birch staff tied to her backpack.

"Shining morning, friends! I, Larachelle the Dazzling, have arrived. Sorry to have kept you waiting!"

She strides into the tavern and looks around, twirling her hair as she does. It's even emptier than I thought. Where is everyone? Could I be early? What time is it, again? Ah, nevermind. "Hello there, Mr. and Mrs. Twiddleton, so good to see you! Are the little ones answering the Call for Heroes? I knew they had it in them!"

With a swift motion, Larachelle hangs her backpack on an unattended chair and sits right across from Arabella. She motions for Uskwold to bring her a stew before turning to the Chelish woman.

"You, I know you... from the bookshop, pretty sure. It's... Arbel, wasn't it? Never thought to ask what brought you to town, but I guess that now I know! You're here to answer the Call, right? Same as me! I was thinking it's about time the world got to know Larachelle the Dazzling. You see, the timing is perfect, since I just now completed this incredible magic item here - I call it the Staff of the--oh, thank you!," she's interrupted by Uskwold and a plate of rosemary boar stew, finally giving Arabella a moment of respite.


HP: 12/24 | AC: 14 | F: +5, R: +4, W: +8 | Arc/Crft/Dip/Lor/Soc +6, Med/Nat/Rel +8, Per +10| Lvl 1: 3/3, Font 1/3, Wand 0/1, Foc 1/1 | HeP: 3 | Active:
Bunnit Twiddleton wrote:
How the doll can talk while the littlest amount them squeezes her SOOOO hard is beyond the understanding of humble Bunnit. "Well, Miss Orchid." he quickly moves the girl's cups of milk out of the danger zone for spillage "Are you attending the call today?"

"I am." Orchid replies, her face losing it's smile in favour of an oddly grim expression that doesn't sit well on the dolls countenance. "Desna has been sending me many dreams of late and I feel as though they are leading me to this particular Call."

She doesn't mention what the dreams have been about, there's no need to scare the children but she can see both Twiddleton's have their weapons with them which makes it fairly clear why Bunnit is asking.

Larachelle arrives with her usual dazzling fanfare and Orchid waves to the serving staff, who know her well here, and a tall box is swiftly brought over and placed on a chair for the poppet, as well as a set of utensils that look as though they have come from a doll's house, which would make sense actually...

"My usual please Jane." She adds with a smile, "And the Twiddleton's meals are on me as well. I insist." She adds, turning back to Bunnit and Valda. "I don't spoil my goddaughter, or her family, often enough!"


HP: 28/28 | AC: 19 | F: +5, R: +10, W: +7 | attack +8/1d8, Per +6| | Active:

Bunnit raises his hands "Hello Rak-" he catches a look from Val "I mean Larachelle." then he gets distracted by the shining excitement in his kid's faces. "Noooo, you are not applying to be be Heroes. Strict age requirement." and then a "Nooo, Orchid, we have jobs and can pay--" he gets a looks from his wife AGAIN, and then just sighs. "Okay"


HP 17/26 | AC: 19(20) | F: +6, R: +4, W: +5 | Per: +6 | Int: +10, Dec/Dip/L:Eso: +8, Ath: +7, Arc/L:Pol/Nat/Occ/Rel: +4 | Speed 30ft | Active Conditions: Wounded 1 | Hero Points : 0/3

Arabella turns about at Larachelle's announcement of her arrival, and she studies the apparently dazzling blonde, wondering whence the title had come from. Nobody seemed inclined to contradict her though, so she supposed the town accepted it.

The Chelaxian didn't even protest when they took up the other seat at the table, and nodded when the woman suggested recognition. The patrons at the Reliant Book Company were a rather eclectic mix, given the rather obscure variety of texts they tended to stock, so she could certainly put faces on the regulars, if not names, and the tall blonde was one of them.

"Aye, though not quite. Arabella is the name, properly said. And...well, I'm actually here on business, but it's...been taking a while to consummate, and I expect I'll have to remain to provide quality control for at least a while longer when it hopefully does." She takes advantage of Larachelle's pause to explain herself, as the stew is served to the woman, and feeling her own belly rumble, asks for a plate of the same.

Arabella then continues, "Thought this might be a way to partake in the local traditions, and perhaps keep my other skills sharp while I continue to wrangle with...a more obstinate member of the Twiddleton clan. But yes, do tell me about that staff..."


"Radiant" | Female human exemplar 5 | HP 48/83| AC 23 | Fort +13, Ref +7, Will +10 | Perc +9 | Focus: 3/3 | Hero Point: 1/3

"Hello, Orchid. Desna's blessings upon you," Valda says with a smile as the doll joins the family at the table. She isn't able to get much more in before her daughters swarm their friend. "We appreciate your offer," she tells Orchid, giving Bunnit a significant look when he tries to protest.

She waves to Larachelle when she enters as well. "Good day, Miss Dazzling. May we all have good fortune at the Call today!"


◆◇↻

After a hearty meal, the time for the Call for Heroes draws near. Everybody begins to make their way to the town hall, located at the south end of Monument Circle. This marble-paved circle is the visual centerpiece of Breachill. Around it stand six deep water towers that also act as wells that the nearby residents and businesses rely on for fresh water. In the center of the ring is an elegant, 15-foot-tall bronze statue of the wizard Lamond Breachton, Breachill’s founder and the town’s most important historical figure.

A small crowd mills outside the town hall, waiting for the appointed time for the meeting to start. In all, about 40 townspeople have turned out to witness the Call for Heroes. Among the crowd, you notice a well-dressed goblin woman pacing right outside the building's front doors. This studious-looking goblin has her hands clasped behind her back, and she's mumbling to herself, oblivious to all those who stand nearby. "My Bramblebashers," she laments in a distraught tone. "Why haven't I heard from my Bramblebrashers? Are my people trapped in the citadel?"

A few of the young children who have been bought by their parents to the town meeting to meet any new heroes rush over to Poppi and Rosie to start playing, whilst staring with awe at anybody holding an obvious weapon, making them stand out as "heroes".

Most of the townspeople are attending the meeting to keep up on the news of what troubles their neighbors, though some are specifically there out of curiosity to see which adventurers might step up and a lot of gossip is abound.

Society DC 14:
The Bumblebrashers are a small local goblin tribe that lives in Citadel Altaerein, the abandoned Hellknight keep to the northeast.


HP: 28/28 | AC: 19 | F: +5, R: +10, W: +7 | attack +8/1d8, Per +6| | Active:

society: 1d20 ⇒ 12

As the eaters head toward the Call, Bunnit finds himself walking next to Legerre. "I am sorry about my uncle, Miss. He enjoys what he calls the game, just a little too much at times."

"Wee-lings, stay in sight please." the father announces to young hero watchers, before he heads toward the worried goblin "Miss, do you need help?"


HP 17/26 | AC: 19(20) | F: +6, R: +4, W: +5 | Per: +6 | Int: +10, Dec/Dip/L:Eso: +8, Ath: +7, Arc/L:Pol/Nat/Occ/Rel: +4 | Speed 30ft | Active Conditions: Wounded 1 | Hero Points : 0/3

Society: 1d20 ⇒ 18

Arabella gives Bunnit a brief smile, "It is what it is. Could be worse towns to find himself lingering in, I suppose."

She steps gently around the children ogling her chain and flail when she sees Bunnit attending to a rather unexpectedly well-dressed goblin. She supposed the oddity was furthered by the fact that the woman apparently claimed either membership or leadership of a goblin tribe.

Still, the biggest draw for Arabella's interest was the location, being Chelaxian, so she heads over as well and adds her own inquiry, "Something the matter with the old Hellknight keep?"


HP: 12/24 | AC: 14 | F: +5, R: +4, W: +8 | Arc/Crft/Dip/Lor/Soc +6, Med/Nat/Rel +8, Per +10| Lvl 1: 3/3, Font 1/3, Wand 0/1, Foc 1/1 | HeP: 3 | Active:

Society: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23

"What's the matter Warbal?" Orchid asks, also approaching the goblin, who is one of relatively few citizens short enough that she can hold a conversation with them from the floor. "What's happened to the Bramblebashers?"


◆◇↻

Society DC 15:
This is Warbal and she is the ambassador to the Bumblebrasher goblins of Hellknight Hill to Breachill.

"My poor Bumblebrashers are a tribe of goblins who have, for years now, lived peacefully and in isolation in Citadel Altaerein, the former Hellknight keep on the hill just outside of town. Typically, every two weeks I meet with Helba, the tribe’s chieftain, on the road outside the keep. We discuss news, and I convey the town’s interests and hear any concerns that the tribe might wish me to bring before the council. It
is a relationship of utmost importance, and Helba is normally punctual. But she has missed our previous two meetings, and I have seen plumes of smoke coming from the top of the citadel. The smoke is a chalky red in color—the tribe’s traditional color of distress. I fear that the Bumblebrashers are in danger, or that something dire has befallen them. It has sickened me with worry.”
The goblin speaks so quickly, she barely pauses for a breath and she continues without letting anyone get a word in edgeways.

“I am certain something foul has befallen the Bumblebrashers—their leader, Helba, would not miss our meeting twice in a row for no reason, nor would the tribe signal its distress if something terrible were not amiss. I plan to present this information to the council and ask them to hire adventurers to contact my tribe. But please, there is a system in place for a reason. Come with me into the meeting and listen to my petition”

The goblin scurries off in a hurry into the town hall without another word.

The townsguard do not let anyone else in for another 5 minutes allowing everyone a little more time for mingling, but at three, a bell strikes and the gathered crowd filters into the building and into the Council Chamber. Some of the other children run off to play outside, rather than attend the boring town council.

The room is set up as an auditorium, with a carpeted walkway separating several rows of benches into two sections. The carpet leads to a small set of steps and a raised dais. On the dais is a large desk separated into five parts, where the Breachill Town Council’s five members are seated, talking quietly with one another as they wait for the meeting to start. On the desk, situated in front of each chair, are tarnished bronze plaques bearing the names of the council members. From east to west, the names are Jorsk Hinterclaw, Melma Ann Sendari, Greta Gardania, Trini Sprizzlegig, and Quentino Posandi.

Melma, Greta, and Quentino are humans, Jorsk is a dwarf, and Trini is a gnome.

DC 10 Society:
Greta Gardania is the council president and is expected to open the meeting.

With a sharp rap from her gavel onto the desk, a stern, dark-haired woman with a deeply furrowed forehead and kind eyes brings the assembled crowd to a hush.

“Welcome, neighbors and friends...” the dark-haired woman begins, her rich voice washing over the room, “to the Breachill Town Council’s monthly Call for Heroes.... I am Council President Greta Gardania, at your service. On behalf of my colleagues beside me, I promise you all that we will hear and consider today’s petition with the utmost discretion and care. There is no existence without community, as our town charter says. Today, our agenda includes only one petition. Miss Warbal, our very own ambassador to the Bumblebrashers of Hellknight Hill, requests the help of heroes for a matter of utmost importance. Let’s hear her concerns in her own words, shall we? Miss Warbal?”

At this summons, Warbal emerges from the front row of benches. The well-dressed goblin woman makes her way to the foot of the dais’s steps. She clears her throat and begins her address to the council.

“Esteemed councilors,” Warbal says, with a frazzled tone to her voice, still a little fast. “It has been more than a month since I’ve been able to contact the Bumblebrashers. I fear that something terrible has befallen them. What’s more, I have seen my people’s distress signal coming from the top of Citadel Altaerein—”

Before the goblin can continue her petition, the door on the western side of the room flies open, as a young man, his eyes wide with panic, runs in shouting and waving his ink-stained hands. Billowing black smoke and flames follow him into the room:
“Fire! There’s a fire! Everyone flee!”

Panic erupts in the room and everyone starts jostling to try to get out of the exit.

Everyone has 1 action before we start acting in initiative.


Female Human Universalist Wizard 2 (HP: 22/22) (AC:14 [15 w/ Mage Armor] Fort: +5 Ref: +5 Will: +7) (Perc: +5)

Society 1: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25
Society 2: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11
Society 3: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20

Larachelle happily shows off her staff's capabilities to any excited onlookers by generating some harmless sparks or flashing lights.

"Worry not, children of the realm! I, Larachelle the Dazzling, have arrived!"

Though she very much enjoys the attention, she quickly notices the worried-looking goblin pacing amongst the crowd, and overhears her mumble about the Bramblebasher tribe and the citadel in which they reside. She doesn't approach the goblin just yet, seeing that a few of the friends she met earlier at the Wizard's Grace have already turned their attention to the distressed lady, but bears it in mind for the upcoming Call for Heroes discussions.

"Oh oh, no touching!," she fends off a curious girl who took advantage of her momentary distraction. "This staff is very dangerous. But also completely safe," she quickly adds, with a reassuring smile, at the sight of a nearby parent. When she turns back to look at the goblin, she is nowhere to be seen. How curious.

When the time comes, Larachelle is among the first to enter the meeting hall. She takes a seat at the front of the room, smiling brightly at the five council members. As more and more citizens filter into the room, she shifts excitedly in her seat, ogling each of them curiously. When she hears the sharp sound of council president Gardania's gavel, she immediately straightens up and turns her attention to the stern woman.

Right, Warbal Bramblebasher, that was her name, Larachelle muses as the goblin presents her plea. She doesn't have much time for musing, though, as the meeting is soon interrupted.

A fire?!

Larachelle immediately springs up from the bench, rushing up to the raised stage where, combined with her above-average height, she can get a good view of the chamber to assess the situation. (◆: Stride)


HP 17/26 | AC: 19(20) | F: +6, R: +4, W: +5 | Per: +6 | Int: +10, Dec/Dip/L:Eso: +8, Ath: +7, Arc/L:Pol/Nat/Occ/Rel: +4 | Speed 30ft | Active Conditions: Wounded 1 | Hero Points : 0/3

Arabella had been listening intently to the introduction, especially when she noticed there actually was a gnome on the council, but her attention did start to lapse a little when Miss Warbal started to speak, since she'd heard it once before.

The cries of fire got her to her feet though, and she scowled when the panic started to take hold. Calling out in a stern but even voice, she requested, "Slow down, everyone. Let the children out first. You'll hurt them if you all push for the exits together! Children out first!"

Request
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26
Society: 1d20 ⇒ 18
Society: 1d20 ⇒ 19


"Radiant" | Female human exemplar 5 | HP 48/83| AC 23 | Fort +13, Ref +7, Will +10 | Perc +9 | Focus: 3/3 | Hero Point: 1/3

Valda had been sitting in the front of the room alongside her husband and daughters, interested in hearing the words of the council. When she sees the smoke and flames, though, she quickly gets to her feet. "Bunnit! Get the girls to safety!" she cries out as she picks up her bow, which she had propped up against the bench beside her. She instinctually snatches an arrow out of her quiver in case there's more than just a fire to deal with!

Draw weapon.


HP: 28/28 | AC: 19 | F: +5, R: +10, W: +7 | attack +8/1d8, Per +6| | Active:

Long whiskers and a little pink nose popped from his face as the prey animal inside Bunnit screamed RUN. Instinct is a hard thing to master, but two things were in his favor. Time, since he's been battling that instinct for decades, and his family. He'd die a thousand deaths before he abandoned his wife and kids.

"I'll be back." he promises his wife as he scoops up the Rosie while grapsing Poppi's hand. With precious cargo secured, he rushes (without panic as best he can) toward the southern doors. "Come on little ones, too much excitement will spoil our dinner."

moved once as his action


HP: 12/24 | AC: 14 | F: +5, R: +4, W: +8 | Arc/Crft/Dip/Lor/Soc +6, Med/Nat/Rel +8, Per +10| Lvl 1: 3/3, Font 1/3, Wand 0/1, Foc 1/1 | HeP: 3 | Active:

Orchid drops to the floor and starts crawling her way under the benches - since that leaves the clearest path out of the room. She'd like to help but given her size and stature there's nothing she can do in a crowd of people, and fire scares her more than she'd ever want to admit.


◆◇↻

Initiative - Perception
Arabella: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14
Bunnit: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24
Larachelle: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8
Orchid: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16
Valda: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22
Enemy: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21
FIRE!: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19

In the unfolding chaos of the fire, as dozens of frightened townsfolk rush towards the main exit, anybody looking around the room can clearly see a snickering little flaming creature slip through the small western door and tries to spread the fire quickly with its own magical powers!

In the chaos, the spectators jump up and knock over the benches in their hurry to escape, many of them falling over themselves in the process.

The areas with benches are difficult terrain for the remainder of the encounter.

Luckily, Arabella's voice travels well over the chaos, and some adults start moving aside to let the younger children through first; the community works well together to protect their own.

The flames start licking at the back wall of the building, and if the fire is not dealt with quickly, then the council chamber or even the town hall might be lost!

Rescuing Spectators
Some of the spectators (green on combat map) have fallen over the benches and need to be helped out of the chamber otherwise they're stuck! Once a PC is on the correct side of the room, rescuing spectators requires 3 actions, which includes locating the spectators, calming them, and escorting them to the exit. This doesn’t necessarily require moving adjacent to the spectators; a PC needs only to be on the same side of the room as the spectators. Multiple PCs can work together to help groups of spectators who are clustered together. Two PCs working together can help up to six spectators at a time, as long as the PCs and the spectators they’re helping are all on the same side of the room.

Turn 1: Bunnit and Valda may act

There are many issues here; the spreading fire, the flaming creature and the trapped spectators!


HP: 28/28 | AC: 19 | F: +5, R: +10, W: +7 | attack +8/1d8, Per +6| | Active:

Even with an arm full of kids, Bunnit sees an old man who was that guy with the thing that sometimes irritates but occasionally endears, RIGHT next to him and his armful as the fires start to go all about. "Come on, we'll go together. Polli, lift here with me. Rosie, grab his hand and 1, 2, 3!" The combined power of Twiddleton pull him free and start to get him (and the Twiddleton kids) Out of the burning building.

Bunnit is right next to a green dot so would use his actions (and his kids) to pull him free and move him toward the exit.


"Radiant" | Female human exemplar 5 | HP 48/83| AC 23 | Fort +13, Ref +7, Will +10 | Perc +9 | Focus: 3/3 | Hero Point: 1/3

"Oh, no you don't, you naughty boy!" Valda says as she sees the fiery creature. She marks it as her prey before opening fire!

Hunted Shot, Strike: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 151d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 191d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 5

Hunt Prey, Hunted Shot, Strike.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
◆◇↻

Bunnit manages to usher both his children and that guy with the thing that sometimes irritates but occasionally endears out of the hall. Luckily a close friend sees Bunnit with his children, "I'll take them out of here! You go help your wife!"

One of Valda's arrows strikes true, and pierces one of its webbed wings.

The flames whip up further reaching the ceiling and inch through the chamber, acrid smoke filling the room. The giggling flaming cretin turns its focus on Valda, flapping its wings haphazardly as it makes its way closer, and flames erupt from its mouth, engulfing the brave halfling.

◆◆Fire damage: 2d4 ⇒ (1, 4) = 5, Persistant damage: 1d4 ⇒ 3 Valda must make a DC 17 Basic reflex save to avoid the fire and persistent damage.
Rounds?: 1d4 ⇒ 2

The calls for help intensify from the residents underneath the benches. The town councilors all rush from behind the desk, towards the mess of benches, calling out for people to remain calm.

Recall Knowledge Arcana/Nature DC 15:

Its a fire mephit, an elemental creature that delights in inflicting pain and flames. It can often patch itself up surrounded by fire and is weak to the cold.

GM only:

-5. Can reuse breath weapon on round 3

Round 1/2: Everyone may post/act, but I will resolve Bunnit and Valda's actions last as they will be acting in round 2.


"Radiant" | Female human exemplar 5 | HP 48/83| AC 23 | Fort +13, Ref +7, Will +10 | Perc +9 | Focus: 3/3 | Hero Point: 1/3

Reflex: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (1) + 9 = 10
Halfling Luck: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14

Valda tries to turn aside from the fiery breath, but she cries out in pain as her clothes catch ablaze. The ranger grits her teeth as she fires two quick shots into the creature's center mass!

Hunted Shot: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 271d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17
Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 41d6 ⇒ 5
Deadly: 1d10 ⇒ 10

The arrows impale the thing, and as it falls, so too does Valda! She rolls on the floor, trying to smother the flames burning her! It takes a few painful seconds, but the halfling is successful.

Assisted Recovery: 1d20 ⇒ 4
Persistent Damage at End of Round: 1d20 ⇒ 20


HP 17/26 | AC: 19(20) | F: +6, R: +4, W: +5 | Per: +6 | Int: +10, Dec/Dip/L:Eso: +8, Ath: +7, Arc/L:Pol/Nat/Occ/Rel: +4 | Speed 30ft | Active Conditions: Wounded 1 | Hero Points : 0/3

Arabella focuses on helping those who had tripped over or fallen under the benches near her, trying to get as many as she could coax or drag to leave, as the exit hopefully started to clear with those who were able to move out quickly on their own. "Come on, come on...we can't stay here, folks. We need the room free of people if we're to fight this fire."

Spending all Actions to assist and rescue spectators
Diverse Lore Feat, using Esoteric Lore with -2 Penalty

Recall Knowledge: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7


HP: 12/24 | AC: 14 | F: +5, R: +4, W: +8 | Arc/Crft/Dip/Lor/Soc +6, Med/Nat/Rel +8, Per +10| Lvl 1: 3/3, Font 1/3, Wand 0/1, Foc 1/1 | HeP: 3 | Active:

"Trini, get out!" Orchid yells, clambering onto one of the fallen benches. "Quickly, we need buckets! Water! Organise them outside!"

She has no intention of getting nearer the fire, but she can absolutely help get people out from this side.

3 actions to help people.


HP: 28/28 | AC: 19 | F: +5, R: +10, W: +7 | attack +8/1d8, Per +6| | Active:

Quickly Bunnit tells his daughters "You two are in charge of guarding the front of the building to make sure no other kids try and come in here, okay. Kid guards, but stay with our friend here so they don't get worried. Now, I love you and go." the halfling then hurries back down into the fire to find his wife.

double stride.

He arrives just in time to help her up "Good shot" he complements, seeing the arrow in the creature's head. A complement backed with a massive amount of worry in seeing her burns.


◆◇↻

Larachelle joins in, helping 2 more struggling citizens out of the burning chambers.

The chamber’s northern door flies open and flames burst through, igniting the area in front of the door as the fire on the western wall continues to spread. The air is heavy with smoke making it more and more dificult to see and breathe.

Turn 2/3. Everyone may act.

Further details on eliminating the hazard now people have bought up the idea of organising buckets.:
Eliminating the hazard requires dousing the flames. Water typically clears a 5-foot square if the amount is small (such as that from create water or hydraulic push).
Larger amounts of water, such as a full bucket, typically douse a 10-foot-by-10-foot area (or 4 squares in some other shape). Throwing a bucket of water on flames requires an Interact action. A waterskin doesn’t contain enough water to put out even 1 square of fire. Cold can also put out fire, but only if the cold can affect an area; cold is usually less effective than water, so a frost vial typically puts out 1 square of fire, and ray of frost is ineffective.
Additional information:
Fountain Circle, located outside town hall, has several working water pumps. These are far enough away that it’s impractical for a PC to bring water back and forth. However, a PC might instruct the more steely nerved spectators to create a bucket brigade. It takes 15 spectators (which can include those rescued by councilors as well as by PCs (those off the combat map)) to set this up, and 2 rounds for the townspeople to line up and begin pumping water from Fountain Circle. As of the 3rd round after setting it up, there is a bucket of water available for the PCs to use at the chamber’s southern entrance at the beginning of each PC’s turn.

Members of a bucket brigade are lined up outside the chamber.

If a PC does want to carry the water, it’s 150 feet from the chamber’s southern door to a pump, so it 6 actions are usually needed to reach the pumps or return. Filling a bucket requires an Interact action.


HP 17/26 | AC: 19(20) | F: +6, R: +4, W: +5 | Per: +6 | Int: +10, Dec/Dip/L:Eso: +8, Ath: +7, Arc/L:Pol/Nat/Occ/Rel: +4 | Speed 30ft | Active Conditions: Wounded 1 | Hero Points : 0/3

Arabella hears Orchid's calls to the people being rescued about organizing outside, and now that she see their section of the mess was fairly clear, she tells the poppet. "Alright, I'll go outside and see if we can get the people organized for that. It seems like it'd be a waste to lose this building."

With that, the Chelaxian lass strides towards the main aisle to get outside, and see if she could get some people in line. "Well, we've saved most of the people...it'll be easiest to save the rest if we work on saving the building. Let's get a line of folks to the closest water pump!"

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13
Trying to Organize


Female Human Universalist Wizard 2 (HP: 22/22) (AC:14 [15 w/ Mage Armor] Fort: +5 Ref: +5 Will: +7) (Perc: +5)

"Lift on three - one, two, three! Ah, there we go, join your parents, kids!"

Larachelle continues to help struggling townspeople on the western side of the room, though still keeping a close eye on the fire.

"I see just a few more stuck here. Get a water line ready while we get these last ones free."

(◆◆◆: rescue spectators)


HP: 12/24 | AC: 14 | F: +5, R: +4, W: +8 | Arc/Crft/Dip/Lor/Soc +6, Med/Nat/Rel +8, Per +10| Lvl 1: 3/3, Font 1/3, Wand 0/1, Foc 1/1 | HeP: 3 | Active:

"Come on everyone, out you go!" Orchid calls, trying her best to encourage the stragglers. "We'll be able to offer help and healing once everyone's out!"

3 action rescue with Larachelle so 6 people out.


HP: 28/28 | AC: 19 | F: +5, R: +10, W: +7 | attack +8/1d8, Per +6| | Active:

"We should help with the buckets" Bunnit says to his slightly crispy wife. He would try to do something like INSIST she go to safety and get healed but he knows better on several levels, but mostly because she would never abandon him or people in danger and need. Something he loves her deeply for.

So instead his eyes look worriedly at her burns, but he smiles warmly at her dedicated bravery. "We'll help with the buckets." he yells as he helps with the last stragglers trying to get out of the fire's path.

3 actions to rescue, think that might be the last of them on our side, thanks to the saving skills of the poppet and the dazzling!


◆◇↻

Valda, riding on a high from her success, helps Bunnit rescue the final few citizens trapped in the benches. Everybody outside listens to the call for buckets and without hesitation a line starts to form on the way to the wells.

Fortunately, the Council Chamber is now empty, however, it is still ablaze and there is every danger that if this fire continues to spread at this rate, it will spread to other nearby buildings in Breachill's centre!

End of round 3:Larachelle, Arabella and Orchid may act.

Start of round 4: Bunnit and Valda may act (feel free to post now). You each take d6 damage from smoke inhalation at the end of your turn if you are inside the chamber. You can half this by taking an action to tie a wet cloth around your nose.

The councilors are helping your organisation effort so everybody has 1 more turn each until the buckets start showing up!


HP: 12/24 | AC: 14 | F: +5, R: +4, W: +8 | Arc/Crft/Dip/Lor/Soc +6, Med/Nat/Rel +8, Per +10| Lvl 1: 3/3, Font 1/3, Wand 0/1, Foc 1/1 | HeP: 3 | Active:

Orchid hurries to the door and hold a rag under the leaky drip by the town hall door until its wet. She ties it onto her face and visibly squares herself to do what she can (which isn't going to be much given that the buckets are bigger than she is!).


Female Human Universalist Wizard 2 (HP: 22/22) (AC:14 [15 w/ Mage Armor] Fort: +5 Ref: +5 Will: +7) (Perc: +5)

Larachelle notices Orchid tie a wet rag to her face and her eyes light up.

Oh, I was in such a rush, I didn't even stop to think about the smoke! Not very brilliant of you, Larachelle!

The mage pulls a piece of light blue cloth from her belt pouch and mutters a few magic words, causing it to become damp. She then ties it around her nose and prepares to help with the buckets when the water starts pouring in.

(◆◆: cast prestidigitation, ◆: tie wet cloth to nose)


HP 17/26 | AC: 19(20) | F: +6, R: +4, W: +5 | Per: +6 | Int: +10, Dec/Dip/L:Eso: +8, Ath: +7, Arc/L:Pol/Nat/Occ/Rel: +4 | Speed 30ft | Active Conditions: Wounded 1 | Hero Points : 0/3

Arabella sees the line shaping up well and deciding that the councilors would probably be better suited to keeping everyone organized, given what she assumed their authority in the town would be, goes in to join the chain. She glances down now and then, wondering when the buckets would start arriving.


"Radiant" | Female human exemplar 5 | HP 48/83| AC 23 | Fort +13, Ref +7, Will +10 | Perc +9 | Focus: 3/3 | Hero Point: 1/3

Valda takes her husband by the hand and quickly leads him out of the burning building, coughing as the smoke thickens around her.


HP: 28/28 | AC: 19 | F: +5, R: +10, W: +7 | attack +8/1d8, Per +6| | Active:

The husband follows dutifully.


◆◇↻

It takes a herculean effort to put out the fire, however with everybody's support, the buckets start arriving and the fire is eventually doused. As soon as the last flames are put out a cheer raises from the townsfolk and people celebrate, hugging their nearest and dearest.

Poppi and Rosie come rushing over to hug Valda and Bunnit as soon as they are allowed to leave their temporary guardian and Rosie clutches onto Valda as if she is never going to let go again.

Greta Gardania looks around, hugging some of the townspeople next to her, while others wearily clap her on the back in thanks for their lives and waits for the celebrations to die down. “What manner of madness just happened?” This can be no accident! Did anyone see anything?”

One of the guards who was stationed outside before the fire began raises his hand, then his voice “Aye,” says the wearied, uniformed man. “The clerks saw everything—it was Calmont, that cad of a bookseller’s apprentice. He lit the fires in the halls next to the chamber. He also set that fire monster loose on the crowd!”

The second guard shouts in assent. “Indeed!” says the grave but steely woman. “And witnesses outside the building saw him run toward Hellknight Hill!”

A surprised and worried wave ripples through the crowd at this information, including Warbal’s distinct voice: “The citadel! My Bumblebrashers!”

Greta raises her hand authoritatively, and the crowd begins to calm. “Friends, we’ll get to the bottom of this,” she assures them. “But we can’t do it alone. Who are the heroes in attendance today? Heroes, are you willing to investigate Hellknight Hill?”

She looks around for any replies to her call.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
HP 17/26 | AC: 19(20) | F: +6, R: +4, W: +5 | Per: +6 | Int: +10, Dec/Dip/L:Eso: +8, Ath: +7, Arc/L:Pol/Nat/Occ/Rel: +4 | Speed 30ft | Active Conditions: Wounded 1 | Hero Points : 0/3

Wiping the sweat from her brow, as she looks at the hearty celebrations, the Chelaxian soldier seems rather swept up by the vigorous response from the townsfolk, though looks a little awkwardly left out when she finds she doesn't have anybody to hug. She just steps back over to Orchid, who had helped her, taking in the positive atmosphere.

Arabella frowns when she hears an accusation levied at Calmont. A cad? Inept, maybe, but he didn't strike her as some manner of roguish plotter or vigilante. How could he have done all this? It would certainly be rather bad for the reputation of her favourite enterprise.

"Well...I put in my application, I'm here, and I'm certainly willing. Though, I've not seen Calmont do anything more harmful than dropping a tome on my toes before. Doubt we'll clear things up without going though." Besides, Hellknight Hill seems like the sort of place a travelling Chelaxian interested in the country's history might eventually want to see.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
HP: 12/24 | AC: 14 | F: +5, R: +4, W: +8 | Arc/Crft/Dip/Lor/Soc +6, Med/Nat/Rel +8, Per +10| Lvl 1: 3/3, Font 1/3, Wand 0/1, Foc 1/1 | HeP: 3 | Active:

"I'm here for the call." Orchid declares and then waits, hands on tiny hips, for people to realise who's talking and to make room for her. Gerrin, smoke stained like most people, picks her up and puts her gently on the edge of the well so that people can actually see the small poppet as she smiles at the huge farmer.

"Yes, I'm here for the Call." She reiterates. "I will be part of the team investigating what happened here. Calmont was always a good boy, there must be another reason for what's happened here today."


HP: 28/28 | AC: 19 | F: +5, R: +10, W: +7 | attack +8/1d8, Per +6| | Active:

Bunnit hugs his daughters "Not one child went back inside, Not one. You two are the best little one guards I have Ever seen." the father beams at them, hugging them again, ruffling hair and tickling just a touch. Before he stands and looks at his wife.

They both had brought weapons to the meeting, armor and gear. They both did. Sighing he reached out to grasp his love's hand "I've already asked my aunt to watch the wee ones, on the off chance I'd make the call, and after we talked... so... shall we?" he nods to the councillor.


"Radiant" | Female human exemplar 5 | HP 48/83| AC 23 | Fort +13, Ref +7, Will +10 | Perc +9 | Focus: 3/3 | Hero Point: 1/3

Valda raises an eyebrow at Bunnit. "Hon, are you sure about this? You remember what happened the last time you tried to play the hero..."

She studies her husband's face, noting the resolve in his eyes. She sighs. "Okay. Just try not to get hurt, okay?" She gives him a kiss on the cheek and then turns to Greta.

"Bunnit and I will join the team," she declares.


◆◇↻

Poppi jumps up and down on the spot with excitement, "Ma and Pa are going to be heroes!" whilst Rosie still clutches on tight to Valda.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Human Universalist Wizard 2 (HP: 22/22) (AC:14 [15 w/ Mage Armor] Fort: +5 Ref: +5 Will: +7) (Perc: +5)

Caught off-guard while wiping soot off her white and green robes, Larachelle quickly straightens up and clears her throat as she puts on her best, most radiant, most welcoming smile.

"Let any trace of worry vanish from your heart, friends! I, Larachelle the Dazzling, am here to answer the Call for Heroes, investigate this curious affair, and deliver us and the Bramblebashers from all troubles!"

She bows deeply before Council President Gardania. I did remember to hand that application in, right? She then takes a few moments to take a look at the faces and builds of those whom she will be joining in this journey.

"So you will be my fellowship, yes? I knew you were the heroes-to-be Breachill needed the moment I laid eyes on you! Oh, the stories they'll write of our exploits: the daring feats, the sweeping romances, the tragic deaths; cross that last one off, actually! And anyway," she continues slightly more seriously as a striped ferret manifests out of her backpack, "there's a long road before the name Larachelle the Dazzling becomes known in every household, and it starts on Hellknight Hill..."

Realizing that she'd gotten carried away in monologuing again, Larachelle finishes, "what I mean is, Ranks and I will happily lend you our aid."


◆◇↻

Greta's eyes glow and she smiles gratefully, glancing to the other councilors, who also step forward and shake your hands.

"Let us settle it then, we will hire the five of you to make contact with the Bumblebrashers as well as track down Calmont in the Citadel and bring him in for questioning." Greta says, announcing it as if she were standing in the podium of the Council Chambers.

Another councilor steps forward, Councilor Melma Ann Sendari. "We are very thankful for the unexpected job you helped perform here tonight also and want to ensure you are prepared in your call. Please take these with you to help in your quest."

She hands over 2 minor healing potions, a lesser antidote and a lesser antiplague.

Greta nods her thanks to the Counselor and continues, "You may also require the aid of horses, or perhaps other equipment. For which I give you a small stipend." Greta reaches into a bag and pulls out a coin purse, handing it to Larachelle.

"If you complete the quest successfully we will pay 10 gold for contacting the Bumblebrashers and an additional 10 gold for tracking down Calmont."

She hands over 25gp to Larachelle.

Everybody gains 1 hero point for saving the Chambers and supporting the townsfolk.


HP 17/26 | AC: 19(20) | F: +6, R: +4, W: +5 | Per: +6 | Int: +10, Dec/Dip/L:Eso: +8, Ath: +7, Arc/L:Pol/Nat/Occ/Rel: +4 | Speed 30ft | Active Conditions: Wounded 1 | Hero Points : 0/3

Arabella nods, agreeable to the terms, and letting the others take their pick of which elixirs to carry, even as she glances over her companions. They seemed...competent, despite their size. No gnomes amongst them, but having spent a lot of time with gnomes, she'd never really though a smaller size was much of a disadvantage.

A thought did concern her, however, and she strides over to Warbal, "Before we go, Miss Warbal, is there a sign or gesture we can make to assure the Bumblebrashers that we are helpers coming from the town? I'm not sure how common it is for townsfolk from Breachill to visit them as opposed to them visiting us."

1 to 50 of 281 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Inara's Age of Ashes All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.