Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

cynarion's Carrion Crown PbP

Game Master cynarion

Professor Lorrimor, the renowned investigator and arcanist, has died. You came to his home in the town of Ravengro to pay your respects, but quickly discovered there was more to the wily old man's death than met the eye...


101 to 150 of 2,685 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Male Halfling Cleric (Evangelist)/ 2
Rajuna Two-Fangs wrote:
Not to sound ungrateful Lem for all that you've done there... :D BUT Raj is really wishing you had the Luck Domain with the 'Bit o Luck' Domain power right about now.

Hehe, I hear ya. Meh, we have a decent amount of healing between all of us. I doubt you'll be killed OUTRIGHT by any traps. ;-)


Ask and you shall receive... I'm not sure if the Detect checks will be game-changers but I did get instructions on posting from Cyn so I'm going to fire this off now as our illustrious DM may not jump in since it is Saturday in Australia. Hopefully, no retconning will be necessary...

Raj lays the garment over the box, then peeks beneath the dark covering. After a moment, his eyes adjust to the darkness. The small rune glows feebly but the pattern is clear...

He pulls his head out and offers the spot to anyone who wants to confirm it for themselves, "You all probably know more about great houses than me, but I think that's the family seal of Caromarc. Had some business that way with Doc once. He made a point of sharing their history." The small smile emphasizes that by 'sharing' he means 'lecturing' and by 'lecturing' he really means 'talking my ears off for hours on end'.

"He also gave me an old Tian Xia Puzzle Box* on that trip. Insisted I solve it, wouldn't take 'no' for an answer. Damn thing took me hours to figure out." He pulls the burnoose off the chest and tosses it over the back of a chair.

Raj sits on his haunches, flexes his fingers, and stares at the chest. "I'm thinking this is another of those puzzles." Raj knocks on every face of the chest in different locations. Some echo like a ripe melon, the others are solid thunks. Near the lock, Raj places an ear, closes his eyes, and knocks loudly. After a minute, he smiles. "Yeah, trapped... and a nasty one. Good thing Karrik stopped you, Miss Lorrimor." He runs his hands across the box, "Now if I can figure out how to open it without getting anyone dead..."

He takes a breath, pushes in on a nub obscured by the magical mark, and is rewarded with a click as several slats of wood along with a few rosettes slide out of alignment on all sides of the chest. Ominously, a paper-like susurring comes from the thin gaps created by the misaligned sections. Flashes of something are seen moving restlessly just below the wood's surface.

Raj shakes his head in appreciation. He admires four qualities above all others - subtlety, competence, cunning, and lethality. And this last Professorial machination counted as all of them. Brilliant bastard, you saw this day coming a long way off, didn't you? No wonder you forced that puzzle box down my throat along with the history lesson. Hell, I was there when you bought this packet of death.

Raj continues to skillfully manipulate and re-align slats and rosettes. His skin practically crawls, knowing what lurks a quarter-inch beneath his fingers just looking for an excuse to get out. If I fail, how many die? He wipes the sweat off his hands and continues to work the puzzle, tapping one side of the box to draw them in one direction while simultaneously pulling out and realigning a rosette on the other side. It was a small gap but enough to allow them egress if they were waiting or he wasn't quick enough.

It takes 15 minutes and 35 moves before the box is fully realigned. For Raj, it feels like he's been at it for a week. He wipes an arm across his brow and it comes away soaking. With relief, he takes the key from Kendra, slips it into the lock and silently prays that Doc hasn't put in a backup trap. The key clicks in and the lid pops ajar. Not dead! Not dead is good!

The Varisian stands, stretches, and smiles as he claps Walter and Lem gently on the shoulders. "I don't know what you did, but you go right on doin' it. That was a big help. I appreciate it."

Raj opens the chest carefully. It is a doubled-walled box within a box. Between the walls, packed tightly and moving furiously, are 1' long, sting-laden, metal abominations in the shapes of insects. They flow like an angry river. Only the wood walls and the thin membrane of vellum along the top (that covers the gap between the walls) contains them.

The Varisian gives his biggest smile yet, giddy with relief. "I was with Doc when he bought these. Any of you learned folks wanna play what kind of exotic death is this?"

Know:Arcana DC20:

* = I made that up. I hope it doesn't cramp anyone's style.

rolls:
None - Cyn contacted me privately about doing this in a narrative fashion. However, don't think Raj doesn't appreciate the spell help from Walter and Lem! He does indeed. :)


DAPPER HALF-ORC MAGUS

Know: Arcana 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9.


{HP9/19 | AC16 T12 FF14 CMD 16 | F/R/W 4/2/3} Female Samsaran Bladebound Magus 2

Rose watches the others works on the chest from her position by the window. As Rajuna gets to work and tells his story, she recalls she herself never had much luck with them. Pins and needles flow through her hand, a phantom pain from a previous time.

With the lid coming open, Rose ventures a glance inside. Another memory comes to mind, a man she once loved, face obscured by time, his final moments...

She mutters to herself, the voice distant and not quite hers, "I hoped never to see such again." Realizing what she had said, she turns red and backs away again.

Dice:

Knowledge (Arcana): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25


Raj gives Rose a silent nod of respect. It's obvious that these creatures carry a painful memory for her.


HPs 16/(26)28...AC18/Touch11/Flatfoot17/CMD 18||HP 26/[28]| Fort:+5 ;Ref:+2 ;Wil+0|Percept +1/Sense Motive +5 Male Human Ustalav Varisian Fighter/2 *12 Con /Fort:+4

Seems a lot of panic over a small box... , says Dragomir, a bit white faced, picking up on the tension from the others, Is it that dangerous? What would it do?


Male Human (Varisian) Inquisitor 2

Theron looks into the box for a few moments while using detect magic and shakes his head. "I've read a bit about constructs, but not about anything like this. I don't recognize the spells either.." He glances towards Raj, "Let me guess though, they have poison stored in them?"

dice:
Knowledge Arcana 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13
Spellcraft 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16


Mindful of Rose, Rajuna confides quietly, "Doc told me if their sting don't kill a man flat-out, the poison will freeze the blood in his veins. He said people have been frozen solid and shattered like blocks of ice."

He pulls the burnoose off the chair and puts it on checking the blades on his arms almost subconsciously.


HPs 16/(26)28...AC18/Touch11/Flatfoot17/CMD 18||HP 26/[28]| Fort:+5 ;Ref:+2 ;Wil+0|Percept +1/Sense Motive +5 Male Human Ustalav Varisian Fighter/2 *12 Con /Fort:+4

Dragomir sucks wind in making a whistle... Well done then.

He looks at Rajuna, interested, So... whats in the box?


mysterious male human purveyor of plot

My, a bit to catch up on! I suppose that's what I get for having my Saturday before you fine folks do. Bear with me. : )

Rajuna Two-Fangs wrote:
Break-In Test rolls

Holy crap, remind me never to tick Raj off! ; )

Karrik and Flori wrote:
castings of detect magic and other skill checks

Let's assume you took the time to take 20 (where you can); even then, nothing registers as magical except the mark itself (which is totally unremarkable in any other fashion). Either there is nothing to detect, or your senses are somehow being deceived.

Karrik wrote:
Also, throughout all of this, have we been told where and how the Professor died?

Nope! I have been dying for someone to ask that question! (Pun not intended.) You can safely assume that Kendra knows something you don't...but that's about to become a moot point. ; )

Lem Longbarrow wrote:
Again, I didn't have time to respond until the conversation had moved on a bit, so I'm posting my responses now. Cyn, if you want me to stop doing that, let me know and I will, but I just wanted to respond to what Karrik and Theron said to Lem.

I have no problem with it--probably the only valuable piece of guidance I could provide there is to refrain from any actions that retroactively change the status quo. The create water thing was borderline, but was also amusing and so sneaked through on that angle.

Walter Vheist wrote:
Kendra A. Lorrimor wrote:
And yes, I would welcome someone helping out with the tidying, she says to Walter. Why don't you come upstairs with me, and I'll show you where everything is? You can be my seneschal, if you like, she says with a smile.
Walter nodded, couldn't help but smile at the thought of him

...at the thought of him...what? Did I miss something? : s

Flori the Fabulous wrote:
Quit your whining and open it. You're not gonna die...

Heh! Collectively, I have this party at an APL of 3 (because there are 8 of you). That makes a CR 10 encounter a little bit above your pay-grade. But lucky for you, Raj knows what he's doing... ; )

Rajuna Two-Fangs wrote:
Hopefully, no retconning will be necessary...

Nope! Excellent work. I couldn't have done it better. Literally. : )

<rewinding again to something I missed yesterday>Karrik, Kendra is perfectly happy for you to take over inspection of the basement experiments. You'll need to make Craft (alchemy) or Knowledge (arcana) checks to work out what's going on down there. Whenever you're ready to explore, there are three main experiments that are worth investigating. You can take 10 if you want, and assume Kendra successfully aids you (so add a further +2 to your roll). Where taking 10 doesn't meet the DC, you can opt to roll instead, but in that instance a failure to meet the DC of more than 5 will cause some adverse reaction of some description.

Right. Now onto the new developments...


female human diviner

As Raj opens the chest, Kendra lets out an involuntary yelp, and sits down hard on the chaise. When nothing happens, she releases a breath--and a simultaneous curse that a lady of her standing probably shouldn't be seen repeating in public.

Thank you, Rajuna, she says. And Lem and Walter as well. Now, let's see what my father left inside this chest...

She begins sifting through the chest's contents. On the top is a piece of parchment, with Professor Lorrimor's telltale scrawl all over it. Kendra begins reading, but after scanning only a few lines, her face drains of blood and she puts a hand to her temple. She hands the parchment off to the nearest person--who happens to be Karrik, and collapses back onto the chaise with her head in her hands and a distant, disconnected look in her eyes.

The parchment reads:

The Professor's Last Warning wrote:

23 Pharast, 4711

There is no time for me to explain, so I shall try to sum up instead. The Whispering Way is a cabal of necromancers who seek eternal life through undeath. They number at least hundreds in Ustalav alone.

Over the last two months, my investigations revealed that the Way had an interest in something here in Ravengro. About four weeks ago, I learned they sought something in the ruins of Harrowstone.

I still don't know what they want, but I can no longer delay. The Way is at Harrowstone right now, tonight. I must stop them, as they seem just mad enough and just organised enough to do something monumentally stupid.

I can tell no-one of my intentions; the superstitious and ignorant locals already think me some diabolist or witch, and I would rather not leave that legacy to my daughter.

Which brings me to the reason for this note. If you are reading this, I am probably dead. The Way is powerful, and I would vastly prefer to be better prepared than I am. Whatever the Way wants here is somewhere in Harrowstone. If I'm dead, they probably already have whatever they came for--but that doesn't mean we can just leave Harrowstone alone. We must discover what they were after, and why.

And whatever you do, do not treat Harrowstone lightly; its remaining ghostly denizens do not take kindly to being disturbed. My first foray into that benighted place very nearly met with disaster.

I give you the same advice I always have: knowing your enemy is the key to his defeat. Learn as much as you can about the Way, and Harrowstone, before you try to tackle any exploration. I have not had the time to do so, and look where it got me.

There are tools that may help you in the crypt at the intersection of The Eversleep and The Black Path in the Restlands. The Pharasmins have an ancient forgotten cache there. But I urge you, find out as much as you can first. Knowledge is power, after all.

I know you will all do well. Stop the Whispering Way. The challenge falls on your shoulders now.

--Petros

P.S.: Kendra, I am so sorry that these words are the last you'll ever hear from me. I don't mean to leave you alone. I hope you can forgive me.

--Your father


mysterious male human purveyor of plot

The Chest's Contents

GM's Note:
I don't allow taking 10 on Knowledge checks made without libraries or other sources of information: to me, non-research-based Knowledge checks are immediate checks of what you know, not what you can remember at the time--which is why you can't re-try them.

In terms of the mechanisms shown below, the Knowledge checks are there primarily to allow the PCs to explain the books to each other in terms of their content, without having to read them first.

To read one of these books in full takes 1d4 days, and any one of them may have a negative effect on your psyche. Take the risk if you dare. (Mwahahahaha.)

The Professor's Note
Contents detailed in the previous post.

The Umbral Leaves
This small book has a tooled black leather cover filled with geometric designs. If you look at the cover too long, you start to see faces contorted in agony amongst the shapes.

----Knowledge (religion) DC 15:
This is the holy book of Zon-Kuthon. It details the tenets of the religion and is, in part, a manual for torturers seeking to cause the utmost pain and suffering to their victims whilst keeping them alive.

Serving your Hunger
This book is covered in what looks like snakeskin, but it feels dusty to the touch even though nothing rubs off on your fingers.

----Knowledge (religion) DC 12:
This is the holy book of Urgathoa. It is broken into three main sections: tenets of faith, a guide to cooking decadent foods, and treatises on the most well-known means of attaining undeath--dealing mostly with ghouls, wights and vampires.

On Verified Madness
This jet-black steel-bound book feels chill to the touch. Its cover is totally featureless and doesn't even retain fingerprints.

----Knowledge (history or planes) DC 18:
This book details links between several aberrations found on Golarion, alleging they are all part of some otherworldly ecology.

A Mysterious Tome
The last book in the chest has a purple linen cover with no visible title. A brass scarab squats on the cover, an eye with a swirling pupil carved into the scarab's back. The book is held firmly shut with delicate steel bands, and seems to require a key with a triangular shaft--which is not to be found in the chest.

To work out what this book is, you need to make a Knowledge (arcana history, local) check. Alternatively, you can use Disable Device to pick the lock (which looks well-made). You could also bust the book open with a Strength check, but the book would never close properly again.

A Brief Note
The professor has scribbled a note held inside the cover of On Verified Madness that says: "Return UL, SYH and OVM to Montagnie Crowl. Return the other to Embreth Daramid at her home address..." and goes on to give an address in Lepidstadt. Kendra can tell you that both people are friends of her father's--Mr. Crowl is Professor of Antiquities at Lepidstadt University and Ms. Daramid is a Lepidstadt magistrate.


mysterious male human purveyor of plot

What nao?
You can:

  • Investigate the contents of the chest some more. Details in previous post.
  • Gather Information from Ravengrians about Harrowstone or the Whispering Way.
  • Roll a Knowledge check to see what you know about the Whispering Way (Kn. (arcana/religion)), and Harrowstone prison (Kn. (history/local)).
  • Research the Whispering Way or Harrowstone; Kendra can give you an idea about where you might go to do your research.
  • Check out the false crypt the Professor mentioned in his note.
  • Start asking some questions about how and where the Professor died.

...and that's just the stuff related to the immediate plot! Good luck. : )


female human diviner

Fresh tears are making their way down Kendra's cheeks. Only Karrik is close enough to hear her stunned whispers.

Benjan told me he was in an accident, she says. Father...what were you doing?


HPs 16/(26)28...AC18/Touch11/Flatfoot17/CMD 18||HP 26/[28]| Fort:+5 ;Ref:+2 ;Wil+0|Percept +1/Sense Motive +5 Male Human Ustalav Varisian Fighter/2 *12 Con /Fort:+4

Who is this Benjan... and what did he tell you?

Dragomir's voice isn't interrogative but it is business-like with just a touch of concern.


F Half orc Slayer 18/Sorcerer 18

arcana: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7

Nope! Don't know the first thing about any of this.


{HP9/19 | AC16 T12 FF14 CMD 16 | F/R/W 4/2/3} Female Samsaran Bladebound Magus 2

As Kendra goes through the contents, Rose watches, the moment of panic subsiding. Her eyes catch one of the books, which she recalls at some point. "The black one there, I remember that name. It talks about several strange creatures possibly having a common ecology, otherworldly in nature. Frightning information." She stops to collect her thoughts on the other things discussed, her mind a swirl of memories.

Dice:

History over On Verified Madness: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (10) + 9 = 19
History over Mysterious Tome: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22
Arcana over On Whispering Way: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21
History over Harrowstone Prison: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13


Male Halfling Cleric (Evangelist)/ 2

I want to see what my results let me know before I make an IC post

Umbral Leaves: Knowledge (Religion) 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6
Serving your Hunger: Knowledge (Religion) 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
Mysterious Tome: Knowledge (Local) 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20
Harrowstone Prison: Knowledge (Local) 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25
Whispering Way: Knowledge (Religion) 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9

After I look at the books, tell everyone what I know, etc, I want to at some point speak with Father Grimburrow. As part of that, I will begin searching for information on the whispering way, so I'll include that roll below. Again, though, I want to wait to get my book knowledge results before I type up that interaction.

Gather Info on the Whispering Way (starting with Father Grimburrow): Knowledge (Local) (Gathering Info) 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20


Male Halfling Cleric (Evangelist)/ 2

cynarion:
If my 20 result is enough to identify the Mysterious Tome, can I make that the book that the Professor was searching for in my backstory?


Carrion Crown GM wrote:
What nao?

What nao? Let me tell you 'what nao'...

The fang-slashed Varisian takes a chair. Resting his elbows on his knees, he stares at the box and considers Doc's final warning. By Urgathoa's shriveled left ti.... HUNDREDS of necromancers?! Ghosts? Bet your ass, Doc, I'm researchin' this job! Anything that can take you, sure as hell can beat me - maybe all of us - into the ground.

For the first time in his life, Raj wishes he were cozy with a dozen hard-hittin' and morally-upstandin' Paladins - the kind that dine on undead and spit out the unholy bones. This was no job for a self-respecting and self-preservation oriented rogue. I hear Absolom is real pretty this time of year...

Raj sighs, anger overriding concern. For good or no, I'm "all in" here.

Decision made, his mind starts working the problem - who to trust outside this room, how much to say, who to squeeze, and what to do first.

Knowledge: Local (Mysterious Tome) 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23
Knowledge: Local (Harrowstone Prison) 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17
Knowledge: Local (Info on the Way) 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21


mysterious male human purveyor of plot

Results!

Rose:
The Whispering Way: the Whispering Way is a sinister organisation of necromancers that has been active in the Inner Sea region for thousands of years.

Agents of the Whispering Way often seek alliances with undead creatures, or are themselves undead. The Whispering Way's most notorious member was Tar-Baphon, the Whispering Tyrant, although the society itself has existed much longer than even that mighty necromancer.

The Whispering Way itself is a series of philosophies that can only be transferred by whispers--the philosophies are never written or spoken of loudly, making the exact goals and nature of the secretive philosophy difficult for outsiders to learn much about.

Everyone gains 87 XP. You feel there is more still to be learned...

Rose II:
Harrowstone: Harrowstone is a ruined prison--partially destroyed by fire in 4661, the building has stood vacant ever since. The locals suspect that it's haunted, and don't enjoy speaking of the place.

Everyone gains 12 XP.

Lem:
Harrowstone: Harrowstone was built in 4594. Ravengro was founded at the same time as a place where guards and their families could live and that would produce food and other supplies used by the prison.

The fire that killed all of the prisoners and most of the guards destroyed a large portion of the prison’s underground eastern wing, but left most of the stone structure above relatively intact. The prison’s warden perished in the fire, along with his wife, although no one knows why she was in the prison when the fire occurred. A statue commemorating the warden and the guards who lost their lives was built in the months after the tragedy—that statue still stands on the riverbank just outside of town.

Most of the hardened criminals sent to Harrowstone spent only a few months imprisoned, for it was here that most of Ustalav’s executions during that era were carried out. The fire that caused the tragedy was, in fact, a blessing in disguise, for the prisoners had rioted and gained control of the prison’s dungeons immediately prior to the conflagration. It was only through the self-sacrifice of Warden Hawkran and 23 of his guards that the prisoners were prevented from escaping—the guards gave their lives to save the town of Ravengro.

At the time Harrowstone burned, five particularly notorious criminals had recently arrived at the prison. While the commonly held belief is that the tragic fire began accidentally after the riot began, in fact the prisoners had already seized control of the dungeon and had been in command of the lower level for several hours before the fire. Warden Hawkran triggered a deadfall to seal the rioting prisoners in the lower level, but in so doing trapped himself and nearly two dozen guards. The prisoners were in the process of escaping when the panicked guards accidentally started the fire in a desperate attempt to end the riot.

--New Research Topic: the Five Prisoners (Knowledge (history or local).

Everyone gains 175 XP. You have all just become the region's foremost experts on Harrowstone prison (i.e. there's nothing left to learn here).

Lem II:
Unfortunately the result of 20 is not enough to identify the tome--and the Professor wouldn't have had it at that time anyway. It's a fairly recent acquisition. One of the other books would be suitable, though, if you liked that idea.

Raj:
Your 23 is so close...if nobody else gets it I'll throw you a bone; one of the other high results will jog something loose in Raj's brain. : )

I will update the XP total on the campaign tab later. : )


Male Human Oracle 2

Walter picked up 1d3 ⇒ 2 the musty snakeskin tome, turned it in his hands and began to flip through it piecemeal, skimming the pages he fell on with a kind of meandering, innocent curiosity. With a flip of a page, he came across a visceral drawing of a person vivisected down the center, raised his eyebrows and said "Neat." He glanced up to everyone else, looked back and said "Are these the dangerous books the Professor was talking about?"

The Umbral Leaves - Knowledge (religion)1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11
Serving Your Hunger - Knowledge (religion)1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9
On Verified Madness - Knowledge (planes)1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9
Mysterious Tome - Knowledge (arcana)1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23
Whispering Way - Knowledge (religion)1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13
Harrowstone Prison - [If inapplicable, the Five Prisoners] - Knowledge (history)1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17


Male Halfling Cleric (Evangelist)/ 2

5 prisoners: Knowledge (Local) 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6


Male Halfling Cleric (Evangelist)/ 2

The wanderer stares at the books for a time, and tilts his head to the ceiling in remembrance.

That one, he says, pointing to On Verified Madness .

That’s the book I helped him acquire! I couldn’t say what it’s about, but appropriately enough, the man who sold it to the professor was a bit…odd, to say the least.

The priest then takes a deep breath, looks around to see if everyone is listening, and tells his tale.

Desna does not have traditional temples, like other gods and goddesses. She has small shrines that are comfortable and inviting, places where travelers are welcome and stories are shared. At once such place I have heard much and more of Harrowstone by a man named Quentyn. It was late in the night, more pleasant tales had been told, and as the fire burned low and the darkness crept around us, he told us about the ill-fated prison.

This very town was originally founded to house and supply the men who worked at the prison. Their families saw it as an opportunity for a new life, independent and prosperous. They were wrong but had no way of knowing how their story would end in tragedy.

Harrowstone harbored lesser criminals, to be sure, thieves, debtors, and the like. But many of the inhabitants were sent there from all over Ustalav for more grievous crimes. Such men didn’t have long to enjoy the comforts, or lack thereof, of their confines, for they were executed within the prison’s walls. The prisoners who were fortunate enough to carry out their sentences and be given a second chance at life reported hearing the tortured screams of the dead and dying. No man was ever sent to Harrowstone a second time.

For seven and sixty years the prison carried out its grim purpose, until 50 years ago a fire claimed the lives of all its prisoners and most of its guards. On that day the prisoners rioted, and most people believe that the fire began during the riot. But this is not so, and the true tale of sacrifice and bravery must not be forgotten. You see, Quentyn’s grandfather was a young man who had been a guard at the prison for a few months before the fire happened, and he survived to tell the tale. He said that the prisoners had rioted, seized control of the dungeons, and were on the verge of escape.

These criminals may have escaped and laid waste to the town of Ravengro, and where would we all be now? But no, brave Warden Hawkran would not have it! Outnumbered and desperate, he took the only course of action available to him. He sent Quentyn’s grandsire and a handful of others to rouse the Ravengro militia, while he setup a deadfall. As the messengers hastened to town, Hawkran collapsed the lower level to prevent the criminals’ escape, sealing himself and his guards with the prisoners.

The messengers returned to the prison with as many men as they could muster, both soldiers and men with tools to dig out the survivors of the collapse. But they were too late. They could hear the sounds of battle as they ran to the building, and over the din the warden’s voice rang out: “Now! They mustn’t escape!” Just then a rush of flame burst forth, and the sounds of battle turned to the sounds of burning men screaming in agony. Blackened hands clawed forth from the rubble, then were still. The militia did their best to fight the fire and clear away the debris, but in the end all they found were the bodies of prisoners and guards alike, as well as poor Hawkran’s wife, though none could say why she was there.

A statue was erected in honor of the brave warden’s sacrifice, and all Ravengrian’s owe a debt of gratitude to that selfless hero. The fire destroyed much of the underground eastern wing, but most of the building still stands today—a silent reminder of the horrors that took place there, and the tragic end of its days. Quentyn mentioned that immediately prior to the riot, five particularly heinous individuals had been imprisoned, though their names and histories escape me. Perhaps more information about their identities would prove useful. Either way, we’d best tread lightly at Harrowstone, lest we disrupt the restless souls interred within.

Perform (Oratory) 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14


mysterious male human purveyor of plot

Walter:
The Five Prisoners: Originally, Harrowstone housed only local criminals, but as the prison’s fame spread, other counties and distant lands began paying to have more dangerous criminals housed within this prison’s walls. At the time of the great Harrowstone Fire, the number of particularly violent or dangerous criminals imprisoned within the dungeons below was at an all-time high.

Everyone gains 25 XP.

Lem III:
I should have picked it up earlier, but your roll to gather information from Father Grimburrow (and subsequently anyone else) should have been a Diplomacy roll. I am happy to keep your existing roll of 14, which would give you a result of 24 by my calculations. Let me know if I missed something.


Male Halfling Cleric (Evangelist)/ 2

cynarion:
Thanks. Yeah, I couldn't really tell which one to use, so I picked the lower one. How do I know when I use diplomacy and when I use Knowledge (Local) to gather info? Also, I originally put that I was trying to find out information about the Whispering Way, but if Rose already knows about that and no one IDs the five criminals, then that's what I'd want to gather info about. Should I roll again since it's a new topic? Or does one gather info roll cover both topics? After everyone gets a chance to post about the books and everything, I'll see who wants to go with me to speak to Grimburrow.


Rajuna runs a finger along the divot on his nose as he listens to the pint-sized priest's recounting and weighs the new information against their options, their mission. He pulls a lockpick and flips it restlessly along his knuckles with deft fingers. His eyes stray to the mysterious, locked tome speculating on what it might contain and why it would need to be locked. Something about it tugs at his memory but he can't pin it down.

Frustrated at the lack of answers there, he glances at the others in the room, gauging reactions to the final letter and the story of Harrowstone. With a touch of envy, he observes the spellcasters, gifted with abilities he barely comprehends. They skim the books and draw so much information from them. I wonder if I could do that - learn like they learned?

More often than not, his dark eyes fall on the Doc's daughter - so aggrieved and alone despite the crowd in the room. The only word he can fit to the lost look in her eyes is haunted. And who could blame her? In a short span she's seen her father's name slandered and his life lost to accident... only to find that it was murder. Raj was a solver by nature and it was frustrating that he couldn't find a solution for an innocence ended.


HPs 16/(26)28...AC18/Touch11/Flatfoot17/CMD 18||HP 26/[28]| Fort:+5 ;Ref:+2 ;Wil+0|Percept +1/Sense Motive +5 Male Human Ustalav Varisian Fighter/2 *12 Con /Fort:+4

Dragomir allowed Kendra her silence and her grief, standing near her but not crowding her. He allowed the others to talk and listened to Lem's tale with some interest.

A well told tale, if a grim one, said with some appreciation ... stoke the fire some, the room has grown overly dark with such a tale.

It seems these lot have either memorised a lot of stuff, or have it at hand with these books... I have to focus on something I can work with - people.

Sorry Miss Lorrimor, he said a bit apologetically, This Benjan you mentioned?, he probed again.


Male Human (Varisian) Inquisitor 2

The Umbral Leaves - Knowledge (religion) 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15
Serving Your Hunger - Knowledge (religion) 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15
Mysterious Tome - Knowledge (arcana) 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12
Whispering Way - Knowledge (religion) 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24

"Dear Iomedae, the professor and I really were fighting the same battle all along," Theron says after listening to the message. "I became an inquisitor specifically to hunt monsters like the members of the Whispering Way, I should have..." Theron stopped and forces himself to stop thinking of what-ifs. A intense determination begins to manifest in his eyes. "Whatever the Whispering Way was here for, we have to stop them... I won't allow your father's work to go to waste Miss Lorrimor."

Theron listens to Lem's tale about the prison as he looks over the books that were left behind by the professor. "I had no idea that anything so horrible had happened here. So, the professor said there are undead in those ruins? I'm surprised that this town is safe at all with them so close by"

Holding up The Umbral Leaves and Serving Your Hunger so that the everyone can see them, Theron begins explaining their contents "The Umbral Leaves... that is the unholy book of the evil god Zon-Kuthon. This one, Serving Your Hunger, that is the unholy book of Urgathoa. I wouldn't read either of them on a full stomach; the first is a manual on torture and the second on decadent, disgusting 'meals and ways of becoming undead." Theron pauses and puts the books down. I had to do a basic study of these books so that would better know the evils that I hunt. I'm unfamiliar with these other tombs however," he says, and then taps on On Verified Madness. "I think I'll have to read this one at some point, because it seems to discuss some type of monsters that I haven't seen before. It is true that knowledge is power after all..."

"So... how many of you know of the whispering way?" Theron asks the group. "I'll give you a hint: there is a reason why their name resembles that of the Whispering Tyrant."

I'm assuming that the Whispering Tyrant's existence is common knowledge for anyone who is native to this area.

cynarion:
So, I guess with my background and that roll, I can tell them all the basic stuff about the whispering way?


DAPPER HALF-ORC MAGUS

Looks like we hit all the initial DC's, so no need for me to roll additionally. :D

Karrik re-reads the note a few times, committing it to memory. Kendra's whisper catches his attention, and he neatly re-folds the note. He opens his mouth to respond when Dragomir voices the same question.

Karrik looks over at the human. I could have sworn that whisper wouldn't have carried past my own ears… huh. ;)

Regardless, it's an astute question, and Karrik presses it, concerned but persistent. "Kendra, Master Dragomir is right in this. It could be invaluable knowing how your father passed. If this man Benjan has information, it might be the difference between a successful venture into the Harrowstone and… well… a venture that ends with eight corpses down there."

Karrik looks over the books and weighs all the input in his mind. He can't help but keep his mind off the practical side of their preparation, and his eyes return to two of the books. "So, one instructional tome on torture and a second on becoming undead." He looks up at those in the room who've shown themselves students of religious affairs, "While I have perused a few books on religious matters, I am far from an expert. I know a smattering of Zon-Kuthon and even less of Urgathoa. One deity of pain and one of disease and undeath. If followers of these two paths are waiting for us, how will they be prepared? And how should we be prepared to overcome them?"

He looks around while he waits for an answer, looking for other possible opportunities for them to get ahead. "Kendra, what do we know about this 'crypt at the intersection of The Eversleep and The Black Path in the Restlands'? Is that a place we can go openly? Or is there some protocol we should operate through in order to gain the insights or aid of… whatever that place is?"

Another thought strikes Karrik as he listens, I wonder if any of the Professor's basement experiments could prove useful as we prepare to enter Harrowstone?

The Basement Projects:
Cyn, it wil be one of Karrik's priorities to go check what the experiments are.
Project 1 1d20 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 6 + 2 = 22
Project 2 1d20 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 6 + 2 = 28
Project 3 1d20 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 6 + 2 = 14


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Human Oracle 2

Walter was shocked-- and relieved-- when Theron told him that the book in his hands was the manual of Urgathoa's religion. The speed in which he relinquished it back into the Professor's chest was impressive. Any plans he had to read it through and gaze on its contents quickly dwindled down to nothingness-- why would he want to read something he knew was dark, evil, blasphemous and untrue?

Urgathoa - Knowledge (religion)1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12 Identifies a common religion, but Urgathoa isn't so Walter just knows she is bad, undead and evil.
Zon-Kuthon - Knowledge (religion)1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26 Okay, apparently he knows everything about Zon-Kuthon though.

"If it's Urgathoa, it's going to be undead," Walter said. "If it's Zon-Kuthon, it's going to be worse."

Quote:
"So... how many of you know of the whispering way?" Theron asks the group. "I'll give you a hint: there is a reason why their name resembles that of the Whispering Tyrant."

Walter knew that they had to be bad guys to be enemies of the Professor. He hadn't known a good person to go against the Professor-- except for Rajuna. And Theron. And Karrik stole from him. Either way, they were bad news. "I, um, agree. We need to do something. The Professor got... killed by this Whispering Way. At least it sounds like it." He glanced to Kendra-- he didn't want to say anything wrong to make her feel worse.

He thought of what Rajuna might say. "I can't abide by people hurting my friends. I... especially can't let people make Kendra cry."


Is that what Raj would say? Fantastic! I was wondering about that myself. ;)


mysterious male human purveyor of plot
Lem Longbarrow wrote:
How do I know when I use diplomacy and when I use Knowledge (Local) to gather info?

Diplomacy is when you're trying to learn information from other people. Knowledge (local) is when you're trying to remember something locked up in your own brain, or doing book research at e.g. a library. : )

Lem Longbarrow wrote:
Also, I originally put that I was trying to find out information about the Whispering Way, but if Rose already knows about that and no one IDs the five criminals, then that's what I'd want to gather info about. Should I roll again since it's a new topic?

Yes please. Each Knowledge roll represents a new interrogation of your brain. : )


mysterious male human purveyor of plot
Theron Adrezi wrote:
Theron listens to Lem's tale about the prison as he looks over the books that were left behind by the professor. "I had no idea that anything so horrible had happened here. So, the professor said there are undead in those ruins? I'm surprised that this town is safe at all with them so close by"

Very perceptive! ; )

Theron Adrezi wrote:

"So... how many of you know of the whispering way?" Theron asks the group. "I'll give you a hint: there is a reason why their name resembles that of the Whispering Tyrant."

I'm assuming that the Whispering Tyrant's existence is common knowledge for anyone who is native to this area.

You assume correctly. No need for a Knowledge roll there.

Theron:
Yep, you can tell them everything so far related about the Whispering Way, plus the information below (I gave you an aid another bonus):

The Whispering Way: Exact details on the society are difficult to discern, but chief among the Whispering Way’s goals are discovering formulae for creating liches and engineering the release of the Whispering Tyrant. Agents often travel to remote sites or areas plagued by notorious haunts or undead menaces to perform field research or even to capture unique monsters. Their symbol is a gagged skull, and those who learn too many of the Way’s secrets are often murdered, and their mouths mutilated to prevent their bodies from divulging secrets via speak with dead.

Everyone gains 100 XP. There is nothing more for you to learn about the Whispering Way.


female human diviner
Karrik wrote:
Regardless, it's an astute question, and Karrik presses it, concerned but persistent. "Kendra, Master Dragomir is right in this. It could be invaluable knowing how your father passed. If this man Benjan has information, it might be the difference between a successful venture into the Harrowstone and… well… a venture that ends with eight corpses down there."

Kendra looks startled to hear someone addressing her. I apologise, Dragomir, Karrik. I...there's a lot on my mind right now, as you might imagine.

She stands up, moves over to a cabinet and retrieves a small glass and some brandy. It might be a little early in the afternoon for this, but I think I'm in need. Anyone else? She offers the brandy around and pours for anyone who wants one.

After a quick gulp and a grimace, Kendra pours another drink for herself and then sits back down.

First things first: Benjan Caeller is the town sheriff. He found Petros' body. He said it was on the road leading south out of town--and that it looked like he'd been run over by a carriage. Until now, I didn't know what he might have been doing out there--but that road leads to Harrowstone. Whether Benjan is telling me the truth or not, I have no idea now. But that's the story I got. You'd have to ask Benjan for more information. Or maybe I should go...

She trails off, staring blankly at the floor, mechanically swirling the brandy in her glass.

Karrik wrote:
"Kendra, what do we know about this 'crypt at the intersection of The Eversleep and The Black Path in the Restlands'? Is that a place we can go openly? Or is there some protocol we should operate through in order to gain the insights or aid of… whatever that place is?"

Karrik's voice breaks Kendra from her reverie again.

As far as I know, it's just a crypt--I can't say I've ever paid attention to see who is buried there. But Petros said in his note that the materials in the crypt were once the property of the Temple of Pharasma--if you wanted to keep everything above-board, she flicks a glance in Rajuna's direction, you would want to go talk with Father Grimburrow.

Finished, Kendra sips some of her brandy and resumes her listless pose.


mysterious male human purveyor of plot

Experiments in the Basement
Your rolls are good enough to identify the following:

  • a large beaker of acid, which can be poured out to make five flasks in total. The apparatus for the process is still set up; it looks like the Professor only just finished this batch before he died.
  • an almost-finished batch of alchemist's fire. Your ministrations complete the process and produce six flasks.
  • a strange concoction that takes you a long time to figure out (most of the rest of the afternoon), but that, when completed, should yield three vials of fluid attuned to you as the creator. Each one would seem to function as a splash weapon that acts as the spell command undead. (In other words, it's an oil of command undead that requires a successful melee or ranged touch attack to activate.

The last item will be finished in another 24 hours (late afternoon on the 29th).


female human diviner

Kendra shakes herself back into a semblance of awareness.

I can scarcely believe it...the Whispering Way here, at Harrowstone... If you want to find out more about the prison and the history of its inmates, you could always try the records at the Town Hall, or at the Temple. Or Alendru at The Unfurling Scroll might have some books squirreled away somewhere. Alendru is the most likely to cooperate--I doubt the Council or the Temple will be all that happy for strangers to be using their resources. But you never know.

She looks down at her glass--seemingly surprised that it's almost finished for a second time--and gulps down the remainder. She heads over (Fort Save vs. alcohol: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8) rather unsteadily to the cabinet and starts to unstopper the brandy for a third drink. So...is there anything I can do?


mysterious male human purveyor of plot
Walter Vheist wrote:
Mysterious Tome - Knowledge (arcana)1d20+6

Walter:
Upon reflection, you recognise the scarab symbol on the cover--this book has something to do with a secret society known as The Esoteric Order of the Palatine Eye. The Order is highly secretive, but is known to be interested in all things arcane or political. They are not known to be evil (but then, they aren't known to be good either).

Male Halfling Cleric (Evangelist)/ 2

I have some business with Father Grimburrow anyway, so I can speak with him and see what he knows about all of this. Dragomir, would you mind assisting me? As for the Pharasman cache, I can possibly persuade Grimburrow to give us his permission, but if you'd rather ask for forgiveness after the fact, let me know. Personally, I'd rather not attempt to break into a tomb that is definitely warded against intruders if i don't have to, but I'm older than you lot, and perhaps you welcome the challenge.


HPs 16/(26)28...AC18/Touch11/Flatfoot17/CMD 18||HP 26/[28]| Fort:+5 ;Ref:+2 ;Wil+0|Percept +1/Sense Motive +5 Male Human Ustalav Varisian Fighter/2 *12 Con /Fort:+4

Dragomir puts away his brandy quickly enough, in a manner that would garner grudging respect from a seasoned alcoholic but cause any sort of connoisseur to wince to see fine brandy so disposed of.

Lem's idea was solid and it sorta merged with his plans anyways.

He looked around - Karrik... weeeeeeell, Karrik was Karrik and Flori? Even more so... it wasn't that she was bestial or... ugly? The force of her personality shone through much of her outward appearance, it was just - well... hard to put his finger on. Perhaps it was he'd never thought of half breeds being female before. In any case, not what he was looking for when talking to the local folk and putting them at ease. In any case, Karrik seemed real interested in whatever Lorrimor had down in that cellar.

Rose? He didn't know what to make of her. Lem? Pleasant enough but he didn't seem gloomy enough to be a priest (especially given his childhood background with the Pharasism faith), but his idea was a good one. He could work with that... besides he wanted to talk to Father Grimburrow anyways.

He nodded to Lem and sucked at the gap in his teeth, where one of his front ones had been removed in a bar fight a few months back, and thought.

Ranjan? That was a scary bastard, especially with the scars but it was also that special sort of scariness that came with being 'Smart' muscle. He'd do at a pinch as a partner talking to the locals but the two of them together? Likely scare the local sheriff into doin' something stupid. Theron? He looked busy with the books... and that left... Walter.

He grinned like a man who had just worked out how to be paid to drink beer. Walter was... perfect. Small, unassuming with just a touch of nervousness. He was as nonthreatening as Dragomir was intimidating.

Walter, Friend, what say you, Lem and I go talk to this... Benjan. You do the talking, and I'll play the jolly and above all friendly giant. We'll stop by one of the inns so I can get a bottle or two before we chat with him.

He thought a moment then said to Ranjan, I ain't one to tell you what business you should be about - its clear you know your stuff, but you look like you you've brains and skills, he indicated the others - particularly Rose and Flori. Miss Lorrimor mentioned some sort of Scroll or Bookshop, hows about you take the ladies down there to ask some questions of their own while Walter, Lem and I talk to the Lawman... and perhaps make some goodwill with Grimburrow as Lem said?

He smiled and gave Walter a friendly pat on the shoulder, his 6 foot height towering over Walters 5 foot. You ok with that Walter?, and you too? he asked the scarred knife fighter.

He then looked at Lem, Walter and himself in a row... and laughed. Anyone looking at the group would have an eye watering time trying to focus on the lot of them at the same time.

That should leave Karrik and Theron to guard Kendra and go through the professors library. As a seaoned barroom fighter and focused on Sense Motive, he knows he can be intimidating - and that it sometimes leads to fights and difficulties, and what people will find less intimidating.


{HP9/19 | AC16 T12 FF14 CMD 16 | F/R/W 4/2/3} Female Samsaran Bladebound Magus 2
Kendra A. Lorrimor wrote:
She looks down at her glass--seemingly surprised that it's almost finished for a second time--and gulps down the remainder. She heads over (Fort Save vs. alcohol: 1d20+1) rather unsteadily to the cabinet and starts to unstopper the brandy for a third drink. So...is there anything I can do?

As Kendra pours her third glass, Rose walks over to her. "It might be best if you lay down for awhile, Miss Lorrimor. It's been a trying day with everything, and you should conserve your strength. We can handle things for now. We'll make sure to let you know if we uncover anything." If Kendra consents, Rose leads her to her room.

Dice:

Diplomacy for Kendra: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8

Knowledge (History) over 5 Prisoners: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (8) + 9 = 17 See what I know.


Dragomir wrote:
"...hows about you take the ladies down there to ask some questions..."

Raj rises and moves decisively to the liquor cabinet. He pours himself a single finger of brandy and slugs it down before wrapping the scarf of the burnoose around his face - preparing to step out in the cold and damp again. "Happy to walk'em down there but I'm gonna stretch my legs first... in the neighborhood of the Eversleep and Black Path. Just seein' the sights."

Heading for the door, he pauses to offer an opinion. "We don't know how far this cabal stretches. Anyone outside of this room could be in on it. Be careful who you talk to and how much you say. It seems like Miss Lorrimor hasn't attracted their attention; let's keep it that way." Raj heads out the door.

Raj will walk through town on the way to the crypt, assuming the road heads that way. The basic plan is to get the lay of the land, possibly find out where Gibs lives, see if Raj draws any attention - friendly or not - from the locals. This is a recon trip. He'll go all the way to the crypt and a quarter mile beyond before turning back. I'm including some rolls, just in case.

Perception 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19
Sense Motive 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6

Can I try a Know:Local on the Five Prisoners or is that something that will take research?

EDIT: If anyone wants to come along, Raj has no objections. But he is acting as something of a possible lightning rod - so let the buyer beware. :)


mysterious male human purveyor of plot

Hmm...let me find a map of Ravengro.

Okay, done. I will send each of you a PM with a link. The link should be good for any and all pictures/maps I put up. I have identified all the places on the map that you've so far uncovered.

###

Rajuna--take a look at the map and tell me whether you go via the Town Square or via the Temple. Then I'll tell you if you can spot Gibs' place.

###

Anyone can make a Knowledge (local) check on the Five Prisoners...perhaps Lem's account of Harrowstone jogged something in someone's memory? You never know! ; )

###

Theoretically, the PCs are doing the following:

  • Lem, Dragomir and Walter are going to see Father Grimburrow and then Benjan Caeller.
  • Rajuna is heading off to check out the crypt at the Restlands, and see if he can find out where Gibs lives--you could also ask Kendra and see if she knows.
  • Karrik is checking over the alchemical experiments in the basement.
  • Rose is taking Kendra for a lie down--although she'll be free shortly thereafter.
  • Flori and Theron are free to do as they please.


female human diviner

At Rose's touch, Kendra gives a thin, wavering smile--but she does put the bottle down. You may have the right idea, Rose. Perhaps it's for the best that I take a break for a while.

Kendra allows herself to be led upstairs to her room--and it's only a few minutes before she falls into a deep sleep.


HPs 16/(26)28...AC18/Touch11/Flatfoot17/CMD 18||HP 26/[28]| Fort:+5 ;Ref:+2 ;Wil+0|Percept +1/Sense Motive +5 Male Human Ustalav Varisian Fighter/2 *12 Con /Fort:+4

Carrion Crown GM wrote:


[list]
  • Lem, Dragomir and Walter are going to see Father Grimburrow and then Benjan Caeller.
  • I thought it was Benjan and then Grimburrow but given we know where the Church is and don't know where this Benjan guy may be it could be the best strategy... I'll leave it to Lem/Walter and PM them my 5 cents on the Grimburrow thing


    DAPPER HALF-ORC MAGUS

    Knowledge: Local (for five prisoners) 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15.

    And Raj, based on your intentions while out, would bringing Theron be a good idea? He's got some skills you could use (as well as some potential insiders info on the crypt). I dig your loner image, but would hate to have one of the PC's get in over their heads alone.


    Male Human (Varisian) Inquisitor 2

    Theron shares this information before everyone leaves, I was waiting on on an answer on how 'complete' I could have it be before typing it up.

    No one immediately answers Theron, so he simply lays out what he knows about the cult for those who will listen. "The Whispering Tyrant is simply the most famous and successful member of the Whispering Way. That should give you an idea of what these people are like. They're extremely secretive, but we know that they're obsessed with undeath, becoming undead, and finding ways to break the Whispering Tyrant free of his prison." The venom in his voice makes his dislike, or perhaps even hatred of the cult plainly obvious. "Just so you know, their symbol is a gagged skull, so be careful if you see such a thing."

    "My guess is that they went to Harrowstone for some sort of research project, Theron continued. "Maybe they were even trying to capture an undead version of one of the prisoners? Unique forms of undeath interest them, and I wouldn't be surprised to find such a thing there after hearing Lem's story."

    Rajuna wrote:
    "We don't know how far this cabal stretches. Anyone outside of this room could be in on it. Be careful who you talk to and how much you say. It seems like Miss Lorrimor hasn't attracted their attention; let's keep it that way."

    "Rajuna is right, I wouldn't even mention the Whispering Way's name to anyone that you don't trust, because if they decide that anyone has learned too much about them..." Theron pauses and glances awkwardly at Kendra for a moment. He didn't need to make her more upset.

    "Anyway, I'll come with you Raj. I'm a bit interested in having a look around myself."


    {HP9/19 | AC16 T12 FF14 CMD 16 | F/R/W 4/2/3} Female Samsaran Bladebound Magus 2

    Having seen to Kendra laying down, Rose returns to the main room to wait for Theron and Rajuna to return. She begins a simple look at some of the tomes and scrolls laying about. Speaking aloud, "There's much information here still, which may contain additional clues as to the Professor's research. We may want to start cataloguing the books and scrolls here, if for nothing else to help us find anything that may be of use. Perhaps while at The Unfurling Scroll we can pick up a few things to start, give Kendra a hand orgainzing everything as well." Rose continues looking at titles, looking for anything unusual or out of place, or anything related to the topics at hand.

    Dice:

    Perception: 1d20 ⇒ 11


    Male Human (Varisian) Inquisitor 2

    Here are my rolls for when we're going around town.

    dice:

    Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10
    Sense Motive: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21


    Theron wrote:
    "Anyway, I'll come with you Raj. I'm a bit interested in having a look around myself."

    Raj nods, his voice muffled behind his scarf, "More'n welcome. 'Preciate another set of eyes."

    While he waits for Theron to put on his wet weather gear, he considers the hint about Harrowstones' five prisoners. Prison lore is a subject near to every thief's heart... as object lessons in failure and, sometimes, escape.

    Knowledge: Local (5 Prisoners) 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22 I hope that is good enough to reveal something.

    Cyn - We'll head to the Southern bridge, go up past the larger farmsteads and past the church. On the way back, we'll cross the Northern bridge and come back down through town. Woo hoo! It's a world tour.

    101 to 150 of 2,685 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
    Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / cynarion's Carrion Crown: Gameplay All Messageboards

    Want to post a reply? Sign in.

    ©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.