Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


SR's - Great Southern Isles (PbP) (Inactive)

Game Master stormraven

High-Power Pathfinder Homespun Game


6,651 to 6,700 of 7,012 << first < prev | 129 | 130 | 131 | 132 | 133 | 134 | 135 | 136 | 137 | 138 | 139 | next > last >>

If it comes down to a vote, Strae is abstaining. :)


STONE-FACED KILLA

If she can't help us, I'd actually like to press on. I just don't like walking into a big fight down a bunch of con if we don't have to. I also don't want to drag this assault out.


DM

Well, if Isolde can't help you, there is nothing you can do until you get back to a town of some size... so pretty much you either push through OR lose the better part of a week getting back and forth.

If you like, I can fast forward to you bailing and checking in with Isolde.


stormraven wrote:

Orin - you are the only one down HP right now - 2 points. Everyone else is at their max (lessened due to CON damage).

EDIT - NINJA'D by the blonde!

Orin - your spells Mirror Images, Fox's Cunning, Arcane Sight will all be expiring within the next two rounds.

Mirror Image had a longer duration, though (7 min), since I cast that one myself vs using the scroll. Shouldn't that be up for a couple more minutes? Of course, that might be moot if we retreat.

Hmm. Do we have any potions of lesser restoration left? I suppose we could take all this loot back to town, sell it, buy a bunch of gear, and come back. But I have a feeling if we do that, SR will put like a friggin' dracolich or something in here when we return, hehe. If we press on, I could just take the lead with Jayse and move Strae to the back. I'll let Ushari and Jofram vote first, since they're the ones with the Con drain.


DM

You are nearly at 7 minutes.

Also remember that Amratt, the nearest town, is not all that large. You teleported there from the major city of Stya where you made your big purchases.

Translation: If you are thinking you can get fair/full market value from the goods you want to sell, think again. If you think there will be a magic emporium where you can load up for the next battle... :insert hollow laugh: To reasonably do all that, you'd need to head back to Stya which 2 weeks over land or a bit less by sea.


stormraven wrote:

You are nearly at 7 minutes.

Also remember that Amratt, the nearest town, is not all that large. You teleported there from the major city of Stya where you made your big purchases.

Translation: If you are thinking you can get fair/full market value from the goods you want to sell, think again. If you think there will be a magic emporium where you can load up for the next battle... :insert hollow laugh: To reasonably do all that, you'd need to head back to Stya which 2 weeks over land or a bit less by sea.

And in my estimation, there is a 2 week countdown timer for a dracolich to claim the ruins as his own. ;-) I'm all for pressing on, but at this point it's really up to Jofram and Ushari. I can use my mirror image scroll on Ushari before we go in the next room and we can use our remaining short-term buffs. And we still have the breath of life scroll, so there's that.


DM
Orin Vanderwhal wrote:
And in my estimation, there is a 2 week countdown timer for a dracolich to claim the ruins as his own. ;-)

2 weeks? You know some very patient GMs - or rather - I know I'm not that patient. And the Advanced Template, Enlarged Creature, and Additional HD mods are literally a single click away in Hero Lab. :) Feel free to incur a 'Delay of Game' penalty and see what happens.


stormraven wrote:
Orin Vanderwhal wrote:
And in my estimation, there is a 2 week countdown timer for a dracolich to claim the ruins as his own. ;-)
2 weeks? You know some very patient GMs - or rather - I know I'm not that patient. And the Advanced Template, Enlarged Creature, and Additional HD mods are literally a single click away in Hero Lab. :) Feel free to incur a 'Delay of Game' penalty and see what happens.

Two weeks was just for the "dracolich" timer. The shadow dragon timer is much shorter, hehe.


DM

Pshhh! Shadow Dragon? I wouldn't even bother with that wuss.


Despite our good DM's braggadocio statements about ramping up the monster levels here, I feel confident in pressing on here. Mebbe it's because using Isolde as a crutch feels like copping out here, or maybe a fever is starting to come on who knows. I also think time is running out on us too. I suspect a tough fight is brewing though...so I'll leave it up to Jofram here. He is the most severely wounded of us.


STONE-FACED KILLA

Caution to the wind... I like it! LETS ROLL!


DM

So votes:
Go for it... 2 (Jayse/Ushari)
Wait a sec... 1 (Orin)
Switzerland... 1 (Strae)

If that is correct, then we have to hear from Jofram. If he's game to risk it, we go.


Who should I hit with mirror image? Ushari or Jofram? Also, given as this is likely the last hurrah, Ushari, are you going to bust out magic circle and archon's aura?


I want to press on, just want to hear from Jofram.


DM

Well with you in favor of pressing on, that makes it a consensus. I'm heading out for dinner but I'll update later this evening... when the DOOM of the heroes shall unfold!

Good luck, gentlemen.


Orin Vanderwhal wrote:
Who should I hit with mirror image? Ushari or Jofram? Also, given as this is likely the last hurrah, Ushari, are you going to bust out magic circle and archon's aura?

Re Mirror Image: I would play it by ear. As for the buff spells, that is the plan...assuming the monsters cooperate ;-)


HP: 51/79 | | Anatomist (+1 to confirm Crits) | | Fav. Enemy +4 = Humans, Half-Humans, Undead

Yes, even with the Con drain, I'd like to press on. Can't let a little thing like impending doom slow us down!
.
Also, I'm fine with lugging the bag if needed, and selling lootzes. I'm confident that more is out there for the taking.


Ushari Velnokal wrote:
Orin Vanderwhal wrote:
Who should I hit with mirror image? Ushari or Jofram? Also, given as this is likely the last hurrah, Ushari, are you going to bust out magic circle and archon's aura?
Re Mirror Image: I would play it by ear. As for the buff spells, that is the plan...assuming the monsters cooperate ;-)

Well, it lasts for a few minutes, so I'd prefer to cast it before the next battle starts, if I can. That way if we lose initiative it could be a life saver.


Orin Vanderwhal wrote:
Well, it lasts for a few minutes, so I'd prefer to cast it before the next battle starts, if I can. That way if we lose initiative it could be a life saver.

Good point...just I don't know when the BIG FIGHT will take place :-|. Guess she will accept it since she has the BoL scroll, he he.


DM

Our heroes mount the steps and proceed down the corridor. After another 50' the corridor takes a turn to the vertical. You glance up to see a very long shaft disappearing into the distance. With a shrug at one another, the scouts mount the wall and continue upward. Somewhere well beyond 100' further along, the corridor opens wide to display a massive room.

The long chamber must be nearly 150' long and 80' wide. Thick pillars hold up the multiple vaults of the soaring ceiling - perhaps 200' high from what you see which isn't much in the darkness. Each pillar is intricately scrolled and the subdued light in the room comes from them. They begin to glow softly about 15' off the ground and the brightness of each pillar slowly builds until they reach the floor where the light is brightest. Looking at the themes on the elaborate mosaic floor, you imagine this room was a temple once. Now, no sign of pews remain. You imagine the crushed ruins of stone swept into uneven piles against the walls might be all the remains of the religious statuary and iconography. As you stretch your vision to the limit, towards the far end of the room, you see the tiles disappear under an undulating carpet of treasure - coins of every type, glittering black gemstones, and items you can't identify at this distance. Somewhere beyond the hillocks of treasure, deep in the darkness at the far end of the room, you see a glint of orangish metal along the wall. It appears to be about 15' across and arched, like a door. In relief, on the center of the door are three overlapping black rings.

MAP

dice:
B 1d20 ⇒ 18
Ja 1d20 ⇒ 19
Jo 1d20 ⇒ 16
Ov 1d20 ⇒ 6
Uv 1d20 ⇒ 17
St 1d20 ⇒ 17


DM

Questions? If not, actions. And feel free to toss in Init rolls while you are at it.


Initiative 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25


Ushari feels the sense of impending danger and quietly utters a prayer, calling on her deities power to engulf her and her allies in her deities aura.

Cast Archon's Aura on herself. If she has time, she will cast Magic Circle vs. Evil on herself as well.
.
Initiative 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19


HP: 51/79 | | Anatomist (+1 to confirm Crits) | | Fav. Enemy +4 = Humans, Half-Humans, Undead

Initiative: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22
.
Putting my shield up again, casting Resistance - I'll just put that on everyone. Resistance +1.


DM

What is the DC on Archon's Aura?

Jofram, are you casting Resistance on all of the familiars as well? In other words, are you going to spend 5 or 8 rounds doing that? Depending on who and how many you cast it on, the spell will be close to expiring for the first person you cast it on by the time you cast it on the last. I'll need the order of who you are casting it upon.

rolls:
1d20 + 25 ⇒ (7) + 25 = 32
1d20 + 25 ⇒ (12) + 25 = 37
if needed 1d20 + 25 ⇒ (1) + 25 = 26
if needed 1d20 + 25 ⇒ (17) + 25 = 42
if needed 1d20 + 25 ⇒ (8) + 25 = 33
if needed 1d20 + 25 ⇒ (17) + 25 = 42
if needed 1d20 + 25 ⇒ (15) + 25 = 40
if needed 1d20 + 25 ⇒ (19) + 25 = 44


Sorry...Will save DC 18.


Sorry, not much time to post so far today. Just wanted to say that I believe magic circle provides a resistance bonus, so resistance wouldn't stack with it.


DM

Good point, when within 10' of Ushari, her Magic Circle +2 beats any Resistance +1s cast.

Initiative for Orin (since he's gone and didn't post it) 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14


I'll dismiss chill touch, use Pearl of power to rememorize chill touch. Then I'll use mirror image on Ushari. 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3


HP: 51/79 | | Anatomist (+1 to confirm Crits) | | Fav. Enemy +4 = Humans, Half-Humans, Undead

If everyone is covered by Ushari's spell, then I won't worry about it.


DM

Everyone who stays within 10' of her is covered. Outside of 10' there is no protection. Do you still want to cast it on yourself?


DM

OK, here is the synopsis of the action on the initial turns:
Rnd 1: Ushari casts Archon's Aura, Orin casts Mirror Images on Ushari, Jofram might cast Resistance on himself
Rnd 2: Ushari casts Circle v Evil

Jofram - I need confirmation if you are going to cast on yourself.
Jayse - I need your initiative roll.

After the buffing rounds, what is the plan?


STONE-FACED KILLA

Initatiative 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21.

Jayse studies the dark room, only his eyes move. "Okay, I say we take the same strategy. Straehan and I will lead off, sweeping for magic and traps. Someone wanna put some light on some regular arrows and see if we can get a better look at some of the shadowy areas in the room… including the ceiling?"

Orin has Light prepped and Jofram has lots of arrows, I say we spend a few rounds making sure there aren't any large critters hiding in the shadows. Then we can move on. I don't want to spend a ton of time doing it, but even spending a minute of shooting arrows into the darker areas might help give us a better idea of what we're looking at here. Might be a waste of time… might not.

If nothing is revealed, Jayse will lead out with Straehan, and I'd suggest we hug the right or left wall on our approach.


STONE-FACED KILLA

Oh, and Im assuming Sraehan will be sweeping for magic as we proceed forward.


HP: 51/79 | | Anatomist (+1 to confirm Crits) | | Fav. Enemy +4 = Humans, Half-Humans, Undead

Yes, I will cast Resistance on myself, since I don't know if all potential enemies qualify as Evil.


STONE-FACED KILLA

For the sake of my mindblade's damage output, I sure hope they are. :(


Heh...I suspect whatever it is will be EVIL...with a capital "E"!
.
BTW Jayse, Ushari has a Fly spell memorized and I have a suspicion this BBEG may be a flying BBEG. Let me know if you want that spell cast on you.


STONE-FACED KILLA

will do. thanks for the heads up.


DM

Check out the big brain on Ben! OK, so for Jofram to launch arrows up into the ceiling, he'll need to be out from under the corridor ceiling which is significantly lower - so he'll need to be (at minimum) in the 'P' row with the cool kids. :) Since the entire ceiling is a series of groin vaults (from pillar-to-pillar and pillar-to-wall), he won't be able to target any spot beyond the arches about halfway down... so he can't target anything South of row AD for the moment.

So here is what I need:

  • Grid Refs for each player's position if you don't like the current placement. Note, ignore your familiars' placement, I put them there to keep them from cluttering things up. The assumption is they are with their masters, unless you or I state otherwise.
  • Jofram needs to step forward, declare a grid ref for his position, and let me know which squares he is targeting (grid refs) with his arrow shots. I'll also need an Attack roll for each - just a d20 since he is only missing on a '1' given his archery skill. Be aware, Jofram, if you plan to fire multiple arrows in this round, you will need to use your 5' step + Sidestep maneuver to get to row 'P'. Otherwise, I'll assume you use a move action and therefore only get a single arrow on the first round of scouting the ceiling. The choice is yours.

Everything, starting from your previous buffs, is in combat rounds. We are LIVE people and on Jofram's turn in the order

Round: 3

ORDER: Straehan, Jofram, Jayse, Ushari, Orin, ????

MAP: MAP

DMy Stuff:
Init 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9


STONE-FACED KILLA

That being siad, Jofram (or Orin and Ushari, for that matter) shouldn't move out in front of Jayse/Straehan until we have known opponents on the field. Until then, Jayse and Strae shoujdl be sweeping for traps, giving the OK to Jofram, who can step forward (and right behind the scouts) and light up the newly-opened up shadowy areas. That work, everyone?

I'd suggest Jofram take the one-point drop in initiative to make this workable (leaving him at the same initiative count as Jayse).


Quick retcon of Strae's action...

The gnome gives a tentative thumbs-up - no traps detected.

Perception (Trap Spotting) 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (18) + 18 = 36


Ushari will stay close to Jayse, so she will be able to cast Fly on him.


DM

No worries. We are in combat rounds so you can declare your moves to shadow him as needed - unless Jayse decides to full-on sprint into the room. :)


HP: 51/79 | | Anatomist (+1 to confirm Crits) | | Fav. Enemy +4 = Humans, Half-Humans, Undead

Jofram carefully sidles up next to Straehan. In a flash, he draws the glowing arrow, and sends it across the room into the shadows clinging to the corners/ceiling/nook.

Stealthily move to P.104
Stealth Roll: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (10) + 17 = 27
.
Summon Bow
Bow Attack Attack: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (11) + 14 = 25
.
Target = Y.104


DM

Jofram, are you targeting the shadow shrouded area near the floor at Y104 (the dark diamond on the map) or are you shooting at the ceiling?


HP: 51/79 | | Anatomist (+1 to confirm Crits) | | Fav. Enemy +4 = Humans, Half-Humans, Undead

Beats me - the ceiling, I guess?


The ranger slinks forward and sets an arrow into the very heart of the vault. It sticks in the ceiling tiles and begins to glow, slowly growing in intensity. At its brightest, it casts enough illumination to reveal a beautifully frescoed ceiling falling into disrepair. But that doesn't draw Jofram's, Jayse's, or Straehan's attention. Outside the glow of the sunrod arrow, in the half-light surrounding it, clinging between the furthest pillar and the wall, is a very large and sinuous dark shape. It is quite possibly the largest creature any of you has ever seen. (size: Huge). It's obsidian-colored, snake-like tail wraps around the top of the pillar, securing it fast... as if the four massive claws that have etched grooves in the ceiling, wall, and pillar weren't enough. It's supple and sleek black back is turned towards you revealing a set of long ribbed, bat-like, nearly onyx wings. Between the wings, which shift disturbingly, and rising from the back is a long, graceful, twisting neck that arches backwards in your direction. It terminates in a long, powerful, almost crocodilian head, surmounted by a set of eyes - palely glowing red. The head, upside-down, watches your group with clear, predatory, interest and blinks once at the light of the sunrod. It's a dragon.

Ushari/Orin from your current squares you cannot see the Dragon. You would need to advance to the P row to do so.

Rough Distance from P row folks to dragon-central on the diagonal is 210'.

Round: 3

ORDER: Straehan, Jofram, Jayse, Ushari, Orin,

MAP: Penumbra
MUSIC: Dragon's Theme

DMy Stuff:
Init 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20


STONE-FACED KILLA

Jayse pauses, "WHat the hell is it and how do we deal with it?"

Delay for knowledge rolls/reveals.


Um, parley? ;-) Side note--I KNEW there would be a dragon at some point! Well, at least I can teleport ONE of you out of here alive. Now, which one of you has the bag of treasure? Kidding, kidding.


DM

The monk, seeing something totally unknown, pauses while he assesses the best course of action.

Jayse is delaying, possibly until after Orin makes a knowledge check. NOTE, you can't make a knowledge check without seeing the beastie... so Ushari and Orin, if you want to see it, you'll have to step up to the P row or beyond. >:)

Next Up... Ushari

6,651 to 6,700 of 7,012 << first < prev | 129 | 130 | 131 | 132 | 133 | 134 | 135 | 136 | 137 | 138 | 139 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / SR's - Great Southern Isles (PbP) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.