Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

SR's - Great Southern Isles (PbP) (Inactive)

Game Master stormraven

High-Power Pathfinder Homespun Game


5,601 to 5,650 of 7,012 << first < prev | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | 116 | 117 | 118 | next > last >>

DM

Ushari was already packing a CLW wand, so her recent purchase gives her 2 of them. With Orin's added to the pot. you have 3 CLW wands. I'd submit that is probably enough wands unless you plan to be two-handing wands of healing... and if THAT becomes necessary, you are well on your way to being dead anyhow. :)

Clear shock and the booze hitting the man's system has effectively done your work for you. The civil servant follows along to the table, stumbling over his robe hem, and plowing through another drink on the way. He takes the offered chair and doesn't seem to mind that his name slipped your notice. "It's Jasper... I don't know that this'll impact your trade interests - Flyn was just a small in-land farming town." Jasper's use of the past tense is disturbing. His words pour out in an emotionless monotone. "We got a starling* from Far Corvosa. The shipment from Flyn never arrived. It happens sometimes - busted wheel, bandits, rockslides, what have you. So they sent the Watch to check on it, expecting to find a broken down cart..."

He slugs down another drink before continuing. "They made it all the way to Flyn before they found anything. Everything is dead - the whole town. Most of the people were barricaded in the church but some others were found outside of town, murdered. But around the church, they said everything is dead. Birds dropped right out of the sky and bugs too, they said."

* = Starlings - small birds used to carry messages quickly around the islands. Sometimes used as a verb, i.e. "we were starlinged about a Reaver attack on Aamari.


Point of order...one of Ushari's wands is for Cure Moderate Wounds...

Dammit!...We should have been there! We could have prevented it...All those deaths...including our own, if I had insisted on going there...

Ushari feels a sense of horror at what the companions may have nearly avoided, but for a twist of fate. She feels the gaze of the enigmatic assassin Jayse on her and could almost hear his thoughts as if he was lecturing her aloud...Messin' around in a wizard's affair is a good way of ending up dead....Of course she realized they were weeks away from Flyn by foot, yet her moral conscience required her to at least make an effort to check it out.

She walks up next to Jasper, a look of concern on her face, and asks softly "Do you know how long ago this occurred? Did the Watch members discover any further clues as to what happened there?"


STONE-FACED KILLA

Oh, yes, that's plenty of out-of-combat healing. I had forgotten the old one(s). Nevermind, then. :)

Jayse mentally reconciles their own last week and a half with that of the man's story… working the events backwards to try to establish some kind of timeline. He mutters as he thinks, "A day for the starling's travel from Far Corvosa. Two days travel for the Watch to make it from Far Corvosa to Flyn, double it for a quick investigation and a fast return trip… longer if the Watch was on foot. One day to realize the shipment is actually late. If whatever killed them happened at the absolute last moment… right before the shipment was supposed to leave Flyn, that'd put the event six days ago.. at the absolute most recent." He finishes the thought mentally, when we were in Crossroads. Wonder if it happened near the time we were on that mountainside? He leaves those thoughts unspoken, however, waiting to see if the man can firm up a more solid timeline based on actual evidence.


DM
Ushari Velnokal wrote:

Point of order...one of Ushari's wands is for Cure Moderate Wounds...

To-MAY-to, to-MAH-to. The CW Wand count is the important thing.

Ushari Velnokal wrote:
She walks up next to Jasper, a look of concern on her face, and asks softly "Do you know how long ago this occurred? Did the Watch members discover any further clues as to what happened there?"

Point of order... Jasper is at the table with you so you don't need to walk up to him. :p

Jayse wrote:
Jayse mentally reconciles their own last week and a half with that of the man's story... working the events backwards to try to establish some kind of timeline. He mutters as he thinks, "A day for the starling's travel from Far Corvosa. Two days travel for the Watch to make it from Far Corvosa to Flyn, double it for a quick investigation and a fast return trip... longer if the Watch was on foot. One day to realize the shipment is actually late. If whatever killed them happened at the absolute last moment... right before the shipment was supposed to leave Flyn, that'd put the event six days ago.. at the absolute most recent." He finishes the thought mentally, when we were in Crossroads. Wonder if it happened near the time we were on that mountainside? He leaves those thoughts unspoken, however, waiting to see if the man can firm up a more solid timeline based on actual evidence.

Jasper's eyes pitch back and forth drunkenly between the two. He shakes his head, it's not clear at whom.

"Nah... Cart should'a arrived two weeks ago. Maybe something was brewing back then. Like I said, problems have happened before. They didn't send Watch Riders until 8 days ago. They must have arrived in Flyn about 3 days ago - usually takes them 4 or 5 days to travel that distance. So they see what they see... and let Starlings go. The birds take about 2 days to fly back to Corvosa with the news. Then Corvosa sent a Patterner here today." The way he says 'Patterner' makes you think this is a significant and unusual event. Jasper considers what he said before and your questions, "Guess I shoulda said we were starlinged not got a starling. Well, it don't matter much to those poor bastards in Flyn."

His eyes round on Ushari, getting back to her question, "I wasn't in the meeting, just told what I need to know. Looks like some folks were murdered before whatever killed off the rest of the town. And they didn't die too long before the Watch arrived. No more than a day or so from what I was told. I expect Corvosa already dispatched more Watchmen to investigate." He slugs down one of the drinks Jayse bought for him.

To simplify: When you were on the mountainside, Flyn was already in danger (mysterious murders committed) but given the glow you saw from the town, you imagine most of the townsfolk were still alive. Had you headed into Flyn, you would have had perhaps a day or two to intervene before whatever happened.


Orin's face turns grave as realization of the implications of Jasper's words sink in.

That door opening on the mountain was no accident--something or someone, perhaps this Naladoria, was trying to guide us to save the people of Flyn. We missed the signs, whether through fear or lack of understanding, it makes no matter. I must try harder, be more vigilant...

Friends, perhaps after we return from our sea voyage, we can travel to Flyn to find what force brought about its destruction, and ensure that no other towns meet the same fate.

The teacher is serious, and speaks quietly. He then stands stiffly, and bids the others good night.

I'm afraid I must study and get my rest, to prepare for our voyage. Nice to meet you Jasper, and may you find peace.

I need 8 hours to study these scrolls and "teach" them to Filch, then 8 hours to rest. Not sure what time it is, but if I don't have time to study all three before it's time to set sail, I'll choose not to learn stinking cloud yet and just keep it as a scroll.

Spellcraft DC 17--Fog Cloud 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (13) + 17 = 30
Spellcraft DC 18--Ash Storm 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (3) + 17 = 20
Spellcraft DC 18--Stinking Cloud 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (14) + 17 = 31


DM

Since you are calling it an early night, you can get it done by the time you sail in the morning.


OK, sounds good. I will adjust my spells accordingly. Now let's go find some treasure!


DM

I appreciate your zeal. :) We'll have to see what the other characters say to Jasper and/or Bit and/or what hijinks they get to in the Strumpet before that. I'll try to herd these cats as well as I am able.


Oh, of course. But Orin is going to be off by himself for awhile, so I just meant that I'm ready when his work is done (and he's had a good night's rest--it's important to get his beauty sleep).


DM

I'll give you guys a few more hours to post. If you've got no further questions, I'll push ahead with a narrative wrap-up and FF to the next day.


STONE-FACED KILLA

Jayse can't help but shake his head. Only way this has anything to do with us is if they were all killed by that shadow that Dinwat released… and even then I'm not sure how we could have predicted that. It's a LONG way from where we killed Dinwat.

Orin wrote:
"Friends, perhaps after we return from our sea voyage, we can travel to Flyn to find what force brought about its destruction, and ensure that no other towns meet the same fate."

Jayse's look is skeptical. "Seeing as how we have no clue how long we'll be gone, I'm not sure how much good a trip out there will serve us. Not to mention it likely not being any of our business." He shrugs, "We wanna hit up the Watch to see if they're hiring out for some outside consulting… maybe it could be worth it. I guess there's no harm in checking in with them when we return."

He turns back to Jasper, pulling out a few coins to cover the man's drinks for the rest of the evening. (Let me know how much is appropriate for such a gesture.) "Jasper, you've been more than helpful. It sounds like whatever happened in Flyn doesn't really touch on our current interests." He raises a hand to get Emeralda's attention, the coins on display before he intentionally sets them down in front of Jasper. "This good man's drinks and whatever this coin will pay for are on me, Emeralda."

He sits back down, a grin returning to his lips as he begins to give the establishment's workers an appraising eye, "Now, seeing as how we're not likely to be seeing women of such willing disposition for quite a while, I think I'll see if I can find some company." His grin becomes mischievous as he looks over at Straehan with a wink, "Unless you see someone whose nose you want to tweak."


2 GP would be more than generous, Jayse.

Jasper stumbles off happily, drinks in hands, and ably assisted by a lusty wench looking to part him from some coin.

Straehan pulls idly at his beard momentarily, considering. "I think the correspondence we got betwixt the Necromancer and L.C. indicated she had some sort of project going on in Flyn. I would imagine this debacle was either an unforeseen result - or the fruition - of that task. From her letters, I didn't get the impression L.C. was a beacon of light in the world." It seems a settled matter for him.

The gnome smiles cluelessly at Jayse's insinuation and eyes a rather leggy blonde 'staff member' in response. "There are better things to tweak here than noses. If you folks will excuse me, I see a woman who desperately needs to know me better." Straehan slides off his chair and grabs Emeralda, "Dear lady, would you introduce me to that charming young woman, and perhaps..."


STONE-FACED KILLA

2 gp it is... STRICKEN FROM THE CHARACTER PAGE!


DM

BUH BUH BUH... BUUUUMMMM!!!


Jayse wrote:
Jayse's look is skeptical. "Seeing as how we have no clue how long we'll be gone, I'm not sure how much good a trip out there will serve us. Not to mention it likely not being any of our business." He shrugs, "We wanna hit up the Watch to see if they're hiring out for some outside consulting… maybe it could be worth it. I guess there's no harm in checking in with them when we return."

Ushari is quiet for a moment, emotions conflicting on her face. Jayse is right, of course. If we sail tomorrow, no telling when we will be back on Amador Island. Maybe Isolde can give us further information...once we have gotten underway...

Straehan wrote:
Straehan pulls idly at his beard momentarily, considering. "I think the correspondence we got betwixt the Necromancer and L.C. indicated she had some sort of project going on in Flyn. I would imagine this debacle was either an unforeseen result - or the fruition - of that task. From her letters, I didn't get the impression L.C. was a beacon of light in the world." It seems a settled matter for him.

She nods slowly to Straehan, "I agree with you there. L.C. is due a reckoning for her actions, and I would be more than happy to arrange it!"

As Straehan ambles off to be...taken care of, the mention of the Necromancer reminds her of another Necromancer she knew rather well...Eustus...do you still remember me? I wish you were here with me now... Snapping her mind back to the present, she motions Emeralda over, "I would like a nice hot bath drawn up, and if you could get that ...gentleman to assist me?" She indicates one of the well-chiseled males who had caught her eye, "I would greatly appreciate that."


Poor Orin. Instead of having a good time with the ladies, he's in his room playing with his weasel all by himself. ;-)


DM

NO COMMENT! NO COMMENT! Shut that camera off! LOL

The debauchery at the Strumpet that fine summer night beggars description and is not fit to print save in lurid tales. Bottles were emptied, bellies filled, and the full 'thanks' of the employees was both lavish and impressive. In the morning, some wincing from the night's frictional activities, our compatriots wander slowly back to the Fish - ready to engage in a light-hearted search for pirate booty.

Having studied well and slept fully, Orin greets them at a table out front. He discusses the magic he learned with Filch over a flakey pastry. Sitting on the doorjamb, vaguely judgmental, is the fighting eagle Vaelos. Our less studious heroes fall on the table and wolf down every morsel of food - ravenous from the evening's adventure.

Thereafter, in short order, the team packs their few belongings and heads down to the wharf where the Mako awaits. It is another warm and relatively still-winded day and they chat pleasantly as they prepare the boat for sailing, rigging up a canvas shelter at the stern to defeat the worst of the persistent summer heat.

As the magical sail fills with a phantom wind and the Mako glides effortlessly from the harbor, none of our heroes knows that they sail towards an unforseen and defining destiny of which pirates play a small and largely forgettable part. But for our heroes, their only concern is the 7 days of open water sailing ahead to reach Aamari Isle...

Encounter Day 1:
Hand of Fate: 1d100 ⇒ 70 (Shipping Lane 95+)
Danger Level: 1d5 ⇒ 5
Hour: 1d24 ⇒ 10
Watch Jayse - HR 21-22
Watch Strae - HR 23-01
Watch Jofram - HR 02-04
Watch Orin - HR 05-06
Watch Ushari - HR 07-08
ALL UP - HR 09-20

Encounter Day 2:
Hand of Fate: 1d100 ⇒ 21 (Shipping Lane 95+)
Danger Level: 1d5 ⇒ 2
Hour: 1d24 ⇒ 11
Watch Jayse - HR 21-22
Watch Strae - HR 23-01
Watch Jofram - HR 02-04
Watch Orin - HR 05-06
Watch Ushari - HR 07-08
ALL UP - HR 09-20

Encounter Day 3:
Hand of Fate: 1d100 ⇒ 76 (Shipping Lane 95+)
Danger Level: 1d5 ⇒ 4
Hour: 1d24 ⇒ 1
Watch Jayse - HR 21-22
Watch Strae - HR 23-01
Watch Jofram - HR 02-04
Watch Orin - HR 05-06
Watch Ushari - HR 07-08
ALL UP - HR 09-20

Encounter Day 4:
Hand of Fate: 1d100 ⇒ 78 (Shipping Lane 95+)
Danger Level: 1d5 ⇒ 1
Hour: 1d24 ⇒ 2
Watch Jayse - HR 21-22
Watch Strae - HR 23-01
Watch Jofram - HR 02-04
Watch Orin - HR 05-06
Watch Ushari - HR 07-08
ALL UP - HR 09-20

Encounter Day 5:
Hand of Fate: 1d100 ⇒ 29 (Shipping Lane 95+)
Danger Level: 1d5 ⇒ 2
Hour: 1d24 ⇒ 12
Watch Jayse - HR 21-22
Watch Strae - HR 23-01
Watch Jofram - HR 02-04
Watch Orin - HR 05-06
Watch Ushari - HR 07-08
ALL UP - HR 09-20

Encounter Day 6:
Hand of Fate: 1d100 ⇒ 94 (Shipping Lane 95+) Awww COME ON! *grumble*
Danger Level: 1d5 ⇒ 2
Hour: 1d24 ⇒ 12
Watch Jayse - HR 21-22
Watch Strae - HR 23-01
Watch Jofram - HR 02-04
Watch Orin - HR 05-06
Watch Ushari - HR 07-08
ALL UP - HR 09-20

Encounter Day 7:
Hand of Fate: 1d100 ⇒ 31 (Shipping Lane 95+)
Danger Level: 1d5 ⇒ 3
Hour: 1d24 ⇒ 24
Watch Jayse - HR 21-22
Watch Strae - HR 23-01
Watch Jofram - HR 02-04
Watch Orin - HR 05-06
Watch Ushari - HR 07-08
ALL UP - HR 09-20

Who? 1d5 ⇒ 4 Ja, Jo, Or, Us, St
Day? 1d7 ⇒ 3


DM

Were it not for the magic sail, the Mako's crossing would have been far slower and less pleasant. As it is, the sprightly passage of the small boat creates enough of a wind to take the sting from the persistent heat. The days pass swiftly and rather uneventfully. The Mako passes her larger cousins - passenger ships, trade ships, and military vessels patrolling the waterway. On the valiant little craft goes while her crew occupies the long hours in chat or reflection or games of chance.

But on the third day, deep within the Straits of Essus with only a vast expanse of ocean in all directions, a curious mist surrounds the boat in the darkest hour of the night. Seductively, it steals across the crew...

Ushari dreams...:
Ushari stands near a low cliff fronting a narrow and modest beach on what must be a small, inland bay - nearly landlocked. It can't be more than a few miles across. There is a taste of brine in the air and the water smells of ocean. In the middle of the bay, seeming to rest upon the waters is a stark black square tower with edges so sharp you imagine they cut.

In contrast with the unnaturally precise tower, reaching from the cliffs to the sky, is a circle of looming oaks. From between the oaks, Naladoria drifts in like a mist, her robes shifting and smokey. She shares a grim smile with the cleric and appraises the trees and environment as if for the first time.

"You have an interesting dreamscape; I hope it will do. We don't have much time. I need you to retrieve my shell now. There is no time for a practice run on a smaller ruin. You must get it, fill it from the ocean, and pour it out on the land. Only then..." Her thought is interrupted by a shiver passing through the dreamscape. The exiled Goddess looks irritated.

"They know I'm here - time to hurry. You are headed in the right direction. Get to Amratt and go here." She holds up a broken string of four oddly shaped pearls - the upper-most sits just below her fingertips and the rest dangling straight below it. She glances at it hard, like it was supposed to be something else. "As I said - an interesting dreamscape. You must like pearls. I'll shower you with them if you pull this off." She points at the tiny gap between the first and second pearls. "You'll find the ruin here. I..." The world shivers again and begins to dissolve - eaten from the outside in.

Naladoria curses and points over Ushari's shoulder, cutting short her unfinished thought. Ushari turns around in time to see a city in the far distance, backlit by a setting sun. She knows it is Amratt but the massive spires she recognizes as being unique to Crux. It begins to dissolve as does the rest of the world. When she turns to question Naladoria, the Goddess is already gone. Very quickly the rest of the world dissolves - bay, cliff, beach, and trees.

Ushari awakens in her hammock in the dark, the dream completely vivid in her mind. She knows it won't fade with time.


As the rest of the crew slumbers, well except for Jofram, Ushari lays awake in her hammock staring up at the star-speckled sky unable to return to sleep. As the first rays of dawn strike the Mako, she rises to her feet and stretches her body out, yawning. Once breakfast is prepared for everyone, she reaches into one of the waterproof lockers where the navigation charts are stored. Unfurling it out on the small deck table, she waves everyone over to look at the map.

"Guys, we have a change in plans. The Grey Lady visited me last night and informed us we MUST recover her artifact NOW!" After giving time for the news to sink in, she continues "Now, she was thoughtful enough to say where the Shaudran ruin is...riight....HERE!" She points a finger on the map, indicating a spot almost due west of Amratt, right below the first inlet shown where the four lakes lie north to south ...hanging down like a string of pearls in a way... she thinks wryly to herself.

She gazes at each member of the group with an intense look. "I don't believe in coincidences. I have a strong suspicion the events in Flyn are related to the sense of urgency now. I don't think we can refuse this task."


Orin thinks about Ushari's tale, and recalls the fate of Flyn.

I agree--it is unwise to ignore divine portents, particularly when you have met the goddess who told you she would send such tidings.

Assuming you guys told this to Orin.

Tell me, what do you know of the Shaudran? Any information that you have could help us better prepare for what the ruin has in store for us.

Knowledge (I'm not sure) if applicable to see if I have heard of the "Shaudran" (is that a race of people?): 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (8) + 17 = 25


DM

Based on your roll (Know:Planes FYI), the nature of the Shaudran, and your character's world-hopping background...

While Orin can't guess what the Shaudran were to this world in particular, the name itself in one of its many derivations, rings a bell with him. He believes they are a long-vanished race that were known for their consummate skill at trans-planar travel. They disappeared abruptly and mysteriously.

I'll leave further details for the other characters to disclose.


STONE-FACED KILLA

Jayse listens quietly as he chews their simple breakfast, blue eyes following Ushari then Orin as they speak. At the mention of the correlation between Ushari's dream and the Flyn incident, his brow furrows and he shakes his head. "Whether or not you believe in coincidences, I'm not sure we can tie those two events together. Straehan could very well be right about Flyn. That whole incident very easily could have been a result of this H.C.'s experimenting… or a hundred other things, honestly. There's a lot of dark things that happen in this world. The only thing that we know connects the Flyn incident and Naladoria's indication that we need to act now is timing. And I gotta say, considering that hundreds and hundreds of miles and about two weeks separate the two incidents… that seems like a tenuous connection at best." He pops another bite in his mouth, chewing as he speaks, "Don't get me wrong, its' something to keep in mind, but until we have more evidence than we have, I'm not convinced they're related. And it sounds like we have better things to spend our mental energy on at this point, anyway."

Orin wrote:
"Tell me, what do you know of the Shaudran? Any information that you have could help us better prepare for what the ruin has in store for us."

Jayse takes a few more bites, looking out over the water as his brow once again furrows -- collecting his thoughts. "A lot and not enough. An old, old race on Miir. Even older than the elves, from what we've heard. With possible connections to planets beyond this one. I don't know that I fully understood that part." There's a pause as he tries to further order all the odd bits they've learned. "They seemed to have a lot of power. A LOT. Enough that even once their civilization fell, some of their towers not only still exist in surprisingly good condition, but they still hold a lot of that power. You can feel it when you get near the ruins. Like it was on your skin… it's… dark." He shrugs at his lack of accurate terminology, "I'm not a mage… maybe Ushari or Straehan have a more accurate word. One other thing, though. Whether it was always a part of Shaudran history and culture, or was introduced later, there's an entity that seems to be tied to the Shaudran ruins. The Dweller. He's bad news. Like… possible end of the world bad. I'm not 100% sure how Naladoria's efforts relate to his, but he's known who we are since we came together and he seems to be working to break into this world, too. Our fight against Dinwat -- which happened in or near Shaudran ruins -- was really a race against time because that idiot was trying to release the Dweller into our world. Apparently he thought he could control it and use it for it's powers." Information exhausted, he lapses back into quiet chewing, watching the others for additional information or corrections.


Ushari shivers as she recalls her first experience with the Shaudran ruins, not to mention her encounter with the Dweller. She still had nightmares about that experience. "I actually know little about the Shaudran, other than what Jayse here has said. I can confirm the Dweller is indeed bad news!"

She snaps her fingers, "I wonder if the common thread here between the events on Flyn and Naladoria's urgency is the Shaudrans themselves! It makes sense in a way; we found Dinwat in a Shaudran ruin, and whatever rituals L.C.was performing, I would bet they are Shaudran in nature. It sounds like she has access to some Shaudran magic. It would not surprise me in the slightest if there was another Shaudran ruin near Flyn. I do regret not checking into that possibility further." She glances at Jayse, "Of course, this is nothing but a theory here, but I don't want to get caught unawares again."


STONE-FACED KILLA

Jayse scratches his head, "I guess? Though, again... i'm not sure there's any evidence to support that. The only connection we have between H.C. and Shaudran ruins is Dinwat, and he didn't seem to realize what he was really doing. If his note is to be believed, then he just used her as a fellow mage who provided some arcane defenses for his plans. Nothing in the note indicated that she was already involved in the Shaudran in any way. I guess I coudl be wrong... i just don't see the connection."

He pauses for a second, "Either way, I don't see that it's important for what Naladoria wants us to do. We need to get the shell, and we have a location. Given what we know of the ruins -- which is not much -- is there anything we need to do before we head in?"


The gnome shrugs, "I can't think of anything we're obviously lacking, equipment-wise. Hopefully, if something occurs to us, we can pick it up in Stya or Amratt."


Jayse wrote:

Jayse scratches his head, "I guess? Though, again... i'm not sure there's any evidence to support that. The only connection we have between H.C. and Shaudran ruins is Dinwat, and he didn't seem to realize what he was really doing. If his note is to be believed, then he just used her as a fellow mage who provided some arcane defenses for his plans. Nothing in the note indicated that she was already involved in the Shaudran in any way. I guess I coudl be wrong... i just don't see the connection."

He pauses for a second, "Either way, I don't see that it's important for what Naladoria wants us to do. We need to get the shell, and we have a location. Given what we know of the ruins -- which is not much -- is there anything we need to do before we head in?"

Hmm. Is it possible that L.C. was using Dinwat for some purpose connected to the Shaudran that even he didn't see? In any event, I agree that we should focus on the task at hand while we still have time to prepare. And speaking of preparations...

Orin looks out across the ocean, white hair flying about in part due to the wind but also of its own accord. He considers what he knows and what the others have said.

Beings who specialize in extraplanar travel, creating long-lasting ruins. Such a place would have to be heavily guarded to survive through the ages, I suspect by summoned guardians and magical wards. We have a few more days until we arrive, right? I will do what I can to prepare spells accordingly. Ushari, you have spells to ward off summoned creatures? I think this could be invaluable. Straehan, will you be able to assist me with detection and dispelling of any magical wards?


Straehan wrote:
The gnome shrugs, "I can't think of anything we're obviously lacking, equipment-wise. Hopefully, if something occurs to us, we can pick it up in Stya or Amratt."

Usahri nods, "Agreed. Should we sail up the coast to Amratt, or leave the Mako berthed in Stya and travel overland?"

In response to Orin she nods again, "I will pray for those spell once we arrive at the ruins, Orin."


Orin Vanderwhal wrote:
Straehan, will you be able to assist me with detection and dispelling of any magical wards?

Strae looks sheepish. "Detection, yes. Dispelling, I regret to say, no. I do have a range of spells that are useful in damaging a variety of extra-planar beings, however. Hopefully, that will suffice."

You can see his full spell list HERE


Yeah, I already looked at his spell list. ;-) But Orin hadn't, so I figured I'd ask, hehe.


Of course, we will be well-prepared to deal with any threats. You all have the direct support of a goddess. We cannot fail.

He smiles, trying to lift Straehan's spirits at the unintended slight.


STONE-FACED KILLA

Jayse smirks, "Oh, Straehan. You have nothing to be shy about." He looks over at Orin in a very serious manner, "He blows sh!t up real good. Plus, have you seen his dashing boots?"

Jayse has got his FISTS O FURY! and some enlarge spells. :)


STONE-FACED KILLA
Orin Vanderwhal wrote:
You all have the direct support of a goddess. We cannot fail.

Ah crap... you had to go there, didn't you? Plus, I'm not really sure we can depend on her stepping in again... she kind of blew her wad in that capacity, if we can believe what she said.


Yeah, but she still sends info via dreams. So that's something. :-)


Orin Vanderwhal wrote:
Of course, we will be well-prepared to deal with any threats. You all have the direct support of a goddess. We cannot fail.

Ushari thinks to herself...I draw power from MY goddess directly...didn't save me from dying at Dinwat's hands...maybe his faith is a tad...misplaced?


Straehan chuckles and models his rakish and over-sized boots for the witch. "Many a Demon has fallen to the raw sexiness of my footwear. I need no dispelling magics with these."


DM

OK, so you have another 4 days at sea to make landfall at Stya. How do you want to approach Amratt?


Straehan silently contemplates Orin's previous question for a long while before speaking up, "I've been squirreling away coins for something special... but I could spend them on a scroll or two of Dispel Magic and the like, in case we need them. I'll look into it when we dock."


STONE-FACED KILLA

Do we have any information about Amratt? If not, then land out of sight, hide the Mako, and walk into town?


DM

You have no info on Amratt at this point aside from the fact that it is probably a goodly sized Port city (since it is attached to the main caravan trade road). Do you want to sail north along the coast to reach it or land in Stya (the main port) and then caravan overland up that way?


STONE-FACED KILLA

Surf in on Mako sharks?


DM

Well that would be badass. Sort of the fantasy equivalent of a Waverunner. I LIKE IT!


DM

The remaining days at sea slip by in a haze of speculation and theorizing. At first, Aamari Isle is just a smudge on the horizon. Slowly, she takes shape. As the vast wooded arms of the massive inland waterway begin to envelop the tiny ship, the sea traffic increases. From a distance you can see Stya is a large and bustling city, easily half-again the size of Orfallen. Patrol boats zig-zag constantly and you are questioned no fewer than 5 times on your way in. It seems the pirate activity around the island has escalated in recent months. Two small patrol cutters, sleek as greyhounds, bearing mounted ballistae and equipped with lateen sails as well as rowers, greet you as you approach the docks. They escort you in... both have prows painted with the fierce and stylized heads of tattooed Mako sharks.

Thus you surf in with Makos. :) You can thank me later.

They peel away and continue their patrols as you slide into your slip and step the magical sail. You throw the docking ropes to a waiting set of longshoremen who expertly tie the Mako up. The Harbor Master arrives and asks the usual questions... and for a modest fee and 'gratuity' allows to you to dock and asks you no questions about your business.

Welcome to Stya on Aamari Isle.

What now?


Straehan wrote:
Straehan chuckles and models his rakish and over-sized boots for the witch. "Many a Demon has fallen to the raw sexiness of my footwear. I need no dispelling magics with these."

Hehe. Sexiness--little-known weakness of demons.

Straehan wrote:
Straehan silently contemplates Orin's previous question for a long while before speaking up, "I've been squirreling away coins for something special... but I could spend them on a scroll or two of Dispel Magic and the like, in case we need them. I'll look into it when we dock."

Yes, that would be good. I believe I will look around for some Summoning scrolls as well. I have an idea how we might put some summoned creatures to use in the ruins... Summoned Monsters/ Animals--best...trapfinders...ever...


Ushari looks up and down the streets in Stya amazed at how large this place is, and yet not nearly as big as her home city of Crux. She turns to Orin, "I do like that plan, Orin. I do have extra cash squirreled away so if you need any extra, feel free to borrow what you need. We should get a map showing the route from Stya to Amratt, so we can travel it on our own. I don't feel like dealing with a caravan, what with all the smelly animals and leering guards. Plus, they will be slower than the five of us." She turns to Straehan, "I think we need to find a library as well, see if we can find any additional details on these Shaudran ruins, although we could wait until we get to Amratt I guess."


Thank you, Ushari. I'll keep that in mind, but I think I have sufficient funds. I believe I could also be of some assistance in the library. As for the trip to Amratt, I agree that a caravan is not a good idea. But what if we could get one or two locals to travel with us as guides? It seems time is of the essence, and someone who knows the lay of the land might shave some time off our trip.


STONE-FACED KILLA

Jayse hops across the span between the prow of the Mako and the dock, grabbing his coat at the last second. As he shrugs the pale coat onto his shoulders, he looks up at the sun, gauging the time of day. (how much day do we have after landing?)

He nods at Orin's idea about the summoned creatures. Not like I have a better idea. His fingers tap his light coin pouch, not to mention a complete lack of funds.

Orin Vanderwhal wrote:
As for the trip to Amratt, I agree that a caravan is not a good idea. But what if we could get one or two locals to travel with us as guides? It seems time is of the essence, and someone who knows the lay of the land might shave some time off our trip.

Jayse once again nods, "Guides sound good. Me and anyone not interested in researching our destination can nose around for some talented guides." He gives Ushari a quick glance, "I don't know if you had your heart set on a quiet day reading or not, but I could use your help with the guides." (Ya know, not having any ranks in Diplomacy and all.) "Jofram, you with me? And should we grab a room at a tavern for the day, though? Just to have a base of operations before we light out?"


DM

It is early afternoon. Let's call it 1PM, approximately.

Orin - outline the scrolls/spells you'd like to purchase and the usual price on them. I'm lazy. :)

If you want to look for guides, that is fine. But if you consult the map, you'll see that the main caravan road (which is open to all travelers) heads in almost a direct line to Amratt before heading to the far side of the island. You imagine traversing the road will be faster than going overland for the most part.

Our heroes stretch on the dock and take a few minutes to get used to footing that doesn't undulate and shift every moment - regaining their land-legs - while they hatch their nascent plans. Eventually, you head up the dock and into the city itself. Unlike Orfallen, Stya is quite uniform in its look. All the avenues are broad and well-maintained and the buildings all look similar. It seems a newer town with well-planned construction. There are none of the leaning, cramped buildings and alleys of Old Towne here. In a word, Stya is pleasant but it lacks some of the 'character' of Orfallen. You amble up the main road and see lines of shops and services, all designed to catch a traveler's eye and latch onto his money-pouch. The road heads almost directly into the town center which is a massively wide piazza - an open space lined with buildings having covered walkways and galleries for the throngs of visitors and locals. No less than 7 roads lead outwards from the piazza in all directions, making it the hub for 'spoke' roads leading to all parts of the city. Like the wider road you entered from, across the wide gulf of the piazza and directly across from you, another wider road exits the square. You can see it slowly ascending a hill and disappearing in the distance. From the sheer number of heavily laden carts using it, you imagine it is the beginning of the caravan road to Amratt and ports North and West. It, like the square, is a woven mat of well-crafted cobblestones.

As you enter the heart of the square you notice a massive wood column containing public notices of no particular interest, a wide flowing fountain in which children are playing, and a set of short steps leading to a slightly raised pad about 20' across. Unlike the beige cobblestones everywhere else in the square, the pad has smaller, colored mosaic tiles. You find yourself drawn to it. You mount the steps and view the kaleidoscope of colors and patterns. At first, you think it is purely random - just a swirl of mismatched colors. As you look more closely, you realise it is an incredibly complex set of overlapping patterns. Some might form abstract shapes but many appear to be repetitive geometric patterns - a riot of circles, dodecahedrons, rhomboids, and inter-laced fractals merging together to form additional patterns...

Atop the empty heart of this chaotic swirl of mosaic tiles, a robed man springs into existence with an out-rush of displaced air. One second the pad was empty and now a man stands there. He looks your group up and down from beneath a scowling brow. "Stay clear of the pad, citizens. The rules are for your safety. If you'd been walking over here, I might have landed right on top of you." He looks around briefly and then heads down the stairs past you while slinging a leather satchel from his back to his hip. "Have a fine day, citizens."


Ushari jumps in surprise as the man materializes in front of the group.

This must be a gate or portal. I wonder where it leads to...it may save time from our journey, if we are allowed to use it.

She clears her throat, "Excuse me, can you tell us what city you came from?"


Hmm, apparently you can’t summon monkeys with Summon Monster or Summon Nature’s Ally anymore, you need Summon Minor Monster.

If possible, I’d like:

Summon Minor Monster (CL: 3) (x3) = total of 225 gp
If I can only get one or two, that’s fine. If none are available, I’ll instead get:
Summon Monster III (CL 5): Cost of 375 gp

Also, I'd like:
Arcane Sight (CL 5): Cost of 375 gp

And a Tanglefoot bag: 50 gp

Better to spend it now than die with it unspent, hehe

My ooc tags aren't working, but everything above this sentence is supposed to be ooc

Orin admires the pattern and studies it to determine its purpose before flinching back at the teleporting man's arrival.

Impressive... he says more to himself than anyone, nodding in agreement of Ushari's question.


DM
Ushari Velnokal wrote:
She clears her throat, "Excuse me, can you tell us what city you came from?"

The robed fellow, pauses and answers while looking around the bustling square, paying somewhere near half-attention, "Most recently? Antion - Long Lake Isle." The man sighs and answers a set of questions it sounds like he's answered a hundred times before. "Yes, I'm a wizard. Yes, it takes some skill to master. No, I don't give free 'flights'. No, it doesn't hurt. No, you won't get sick. Yes, it is instantaneous. Yes, I can jump to any place I know well or if it has a pattern I've memorized. Yes, jumping 100 or 1000 miles is just the same. No, you probably can't afford our service." He sucks in another breath. "Have yourselves a very pleasant day." Having answered all the usual questions that satisfy the gawkers, he begins to continue his walk down the stairs.

If I see any 'where is that?' or 'how far is that?' questions before you check the Maps section of the Campaign tab... I will be replacing two of my d20s with someone's tinker-toys. :p

Orin, I'll get you the answers on your scrolls a bit later.

5,601 to 5,650 of 7,012 << first < prev | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | 116 | 117 | 118 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / SR's - Great Southern Isles (PbP) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.