Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

DM Stephens Serpents Skull Campaign - Chp1:The Smugglers Shiv (Inactive)

Game Master terok

With the defeat of the dark Dryad and surviving many of the islands others challenges, the party is well on their way to becoming the Shiv's masters...only Ieana stands in their way...


101 to 150 of 3,325 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Perception 1d20 ⇒ 11

Though unsure if the people live or not Corb is certain he's not going to let more people end up like his former leader. He mutters a protective spell and then runs into the midst of the creatures with a loud shout, waving his arms to get their attention.

Casting Shield, raising AC to 19. Moving to H11 by curving through I10 to avoid an AoO. No weapon drawn yet.


Order of Combat Round 1:
Nora 21
Eurypterids 18
Corbrius 13
Tragershen 9
Anton 4a
Nim 4b
Wic 4c

The Vermin, startled by Nora's sudden yelling try to take their meal and leave except for the big one who seems to take offense at Nora's bold move and charges forward to K10 trying to sting her.

stinger atk 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7 dam 1d3 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3 Miss!

Vermin in F7 moves up 5' and then clamps down on the leg of a person, pulling on him towards the water. The other Vermin drags its food 5' closer to the water as a full round action, it is now in G12.

Corbrius runs up shouting at the Vermin as they start to scuttle away.

Tragershen and the rest are up.


Elven Wizard 5 HPs 27/27 AC 18 FF 14 T 14 CMD 16 Fort +3 Ref +5 Will +4 Init +4 Per +7

Perception 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14

Try to stop them from being dragged off; they may yet live! Or bear items of value, he adds silently.

Tragershen will cast Mage Armor on himself, step to M8 and draw his rapier.

Armor Class 17, hit points 7/7, Mage Armor.

DM:
Is the fort save anything Tragershen would be aware of or would affect the current combat that I need to track on my end?


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3
DM Stephen wrote:

The people on the beach don't appear to be moving, they are laying on the ground in various positions...you are not even sure if they are alive.

** spoiler omitted **

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (20) + 10 = 30 Okay, roleplaying a nat 20 for double the DC... Anton blinks at Tragershen's choice of words, glancing over in slight puzzlement. "May? I can see them breathe! We *must* save them if we can." The heavily-armored halfling's voice resonating with absolute certainty, he immediately follows words with actions.

Anton draws his lucerne hammer while circling slightly around the larger vermin. Let's see... if I go there, then I can help my friends while getting in better position to help the others. 15 ft. move action to J8 by way of L8. Standing over the body of one of the unconscious passengers, Anton then swings at the big water scorpion in K10 to no effect (I assume). 1d20 + 3 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 3 + 1 = 11, 1d10 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11

AC 20, hp 11/11, Fort +4, bless


Male Human 5th level Druid
Stats:
Init +1 Perception +11 AC 20 Tch 13 FF 19 HP 50 Fort+6(+7 vs disease) Ref+2 Will+7 Spd 20' CMB +8 CMD 21 Acro-2*Climb+6*Esc Art-2*Spellcraft+5 Stealth-2*Swim +6 ACP -2 (shield)

Perception check: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15 Seeing life still clings to those fallen...

...Nim circles to his right (move action M11 to L12 to K11) while keeping a wary eye upon, and a bit of distance from, the creature's stinger and pinchers. He calls out to Wicewakan to attack, (Handle animal check: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15 success) and the wolf complies, quickly moving into position opposite its master, like they have practiced many times before. (move action to K9)

Once in position, both of them attack in unison granting them an advantage against the creature caught between them...

Wicewakan standard action bite w/flank & bless at K10 1d20 + 2 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 2 + 2 + 1 = 22 damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

Nim standard action spear w/flank & bless at K10 1d20 + 4 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 4 + 2 + 1 = 20 damage: 1d8 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7

...both seem to land damaging blows, with Wicewakan attempting to pull the Eurypterid off its feet and knock it prone. free trip attempt w/ flank & bless 1d20 + 2 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 2 + 2 + 1 = 13 vs CMD

Current status (round 1):
Nim -- AC: 15 HP: 13 of 13 bless
Wicewakan -- AC: 14 HP: 14 of 14 bless


Male Human 5th level Druid
Stats:
Init +1 Perception +11 AC 20 Tch 13 FF 19 HP 50 Fort+6(+7 vs disease) Ref+2 Will+7 Spd 20' CMB +8 CMD 21 Acro-2*Climb+6*Esc Art-2*Spellcraft+5 Stealth-2*Swim +6 ACP -2 (shield)

Question, for clarity, are the two smaller Eurypterids fleeing ("scuttling away") and have released their victims? (Due to Corbrius' shouting) Or are they still trying to drag the bodies to the surf?

If they are still trying to make off with the bodies, please add to my post above:

Anton! Don't let that little one get that person to the surf! Nodding in the direction of G7

Also, minor error, but I don't believe Corb has enough movement to cast a spell and get to H11. He can make it to H12 though and stand over the body...

Sorry, but what can I say? I build my own maps in Maptool to follow along with the action and noticed the error. :P


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3
Niɱ wrote:
Anton! Don't let that little one get that person to the surf! Nodding in the direction of G7

Ever the team player, Anton smiles fiercely at Nim's words. Good, already thinking more alike! "That's the plan! Trusting you to handle the biggun!"

Niɱ wrote:
Also, minor error, but I don't believe Corb has enough movement to cast a spell and get to H11. He can make it to H12 though and stand over the body...

He needs a little retcon anyway, since the bigger eurypterid's movement affected his action. Not a criticism; made a bigger paradox myself, against the snake.


The left Vermin initiated a grapple but hasn't quite moved the person yet. The right Vermin had already initiated the grapple last round and moved the person this round...they are small creatures though except for the one in the middle which is medium so they have to drag.

You seem to all have the creatures attention as you try to take their meals away from them...

Anton hits the bigger Vermin but it bounces off its hard shell.
Nim and Wic team up to attack and land several blows on the tough Eurypterid, breaking one of its legs and puncturing its hard outer shell. Wic attempts to pull the many legged creature to the ground but it stubbornly resists his attempts.

I moved Corbrius to H12 since Nim was correct on your tactical movement.
See updated map with wolf this time :)

Order of Combat Round 2:
Nora 21
Eurypterids 18
Corbrius 13
Tragershen 9
Anton 4a
Nim 4b
Wic 4c

Beach battle round 2

Nora is up.


Nora's eyes widen a bit as the chitinous creature scurries across the beach kicking up sand as it descends upon her. "Oh Crap..." she visibly relaxes as the rest of the group spurns to action and she is suddenly flanked by Nim and his wolf. Pursing her lips she quickly draws one of the Starknives from her belt and slashes across the creatures body. "Nim, try and keep it pinned down and I'll keep you supported!"

She will draw her Stardagger, Attack 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5 damage 1d4 ⇒ 4 and take a 5' step to M11


Nora's attack is half hearted as the scary creature raises it stinger up. As Nora steps away, the Eurypterids attempt to defend their feast.

Eurypterid 1 drags the women you now see as Sasha to G7 with a full round action.

Eurypterid 2 strikes at 1d2 ⇒ 2 1 Wic, 2 Nim :
claw atk 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4 dam 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3 Miss
claw atk 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21 dam 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4 Hit
stinger atk 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23 dam 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3 Hit
potential crit:
stinger atk 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4 dam 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3 Hit

With quick speed and determination it snaps out at Nim with two pincers missing the first strike but the second grabs his thigh allowing the stinger to land a solid strike!

Eurypterid 3 strikes at Corbrius:
claw atk 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3 dam 1d3 ⇒ 1 Miss
claw atk 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3 dam 1d3 ⇒ 1 Miss
stinger atk 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9 dam 1d3 ⇒ 2 Miss

The smaller Eurypterid releases its feast but is too distracted to really get near Corbrius.

Nim:
Need 1 fort save D13 please from the stinger...


Male Human 5th level Druid
Stats:
Init +1 Perception +11 AC 20 Tch 13 FF 19 HP 50 Fort+6(+7 vs disease) Ref+2 Will+7 Spd 20' CMB +8 CMD 21 Acro-2*Climb+6*Esc Art-2*Spellcraft+5 Stealth-2*Swim +6 ACP -2 (shield)

DM Stephen:
Fort save: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15

Nim seems to suffer no ill effects from the poison...


Corb draws his blade, focuses his magical energies into it, and slashes vengefully at the creature. Damnit all, you're not taking these people too!

Spending an Arcane Pool, attack is 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11 for 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9 damage.


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

After Tragershen goes... Anton turns and takes a moment to examine the water scorpion dragging Sasha. Move action to use Perceive the Enemy on eurypterid #1, which is a Perception check against CMD for -2 AC to my attacks for the duration of the combat: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24 Thanks to years of playing tomtoms for fun when relaxing with friends around a campfire, he notices a subtle rhythm to its head movements; and of course, its eyes can't be too heavily armored to let in the light.

Dancing closer to his chosen foe, Anton carefully times his strike, stabbing at its right eye with a polearm about three times as long as he is. 5' step to I7, and attack 1d20 + 3 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 3 + 1 = 24 (not including PtE) for 1d10 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4 damage.

Potential crit: 1d20 + 3 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 3 + 1 = 21 attack for 1d10 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7 plus 1d10 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9 damage. Desna smiles! Anton strikes at just the right angle, his lucerne hammer sinking in nearly the full length of its spiked head. The versatile polearm's pronged hammer head would've stopped it from going in much further anyway; but although the sea vermin is as big as the halfling, it doesn't have anywhere near as big of a brain.

AC 20, hp 11/11, Fort +4, bless


Male Human 5th level Druid
Stats:
Init +1 Perception +11 AC 20 Tch 13 FF 19 HP 50 Fort+6(+7 vs disease) Ref+2 Will+7 Spd 20' CMB +8 CMD 21 Acro-2*Climb+6*Esc Art-2*Spellcraft+5 Stealth-2*Swim +6 ACP -2 (shield)

Unless Tragershen does something to change my action...

Nim barely seems to notice the the gaping wound in his leg, shrugging off the pain in his state of total concentration. Not backing down for even a second, once again, wolf and master time their attacks to take advantage of the others position.

Wicewakan standard action bite w/flank & bless at K10 1d20 + 2 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 2 + 2 + 1 = 12 damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3

Nim standard action spear w/flank & bless at K101d20 + 4 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 4 + 2 + 1 = 26 damage: 1d8 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14

Wicewakan's bite fails to land, but Nim lands a mighty blow. His spear punches right through the Eurypterid's body and into the sand below. With a violent twist and pull, Nim yanks the spear out through the side of the heavily wounded creature, spraying innards in a large arc upon the beach...

Current status (round 2):
Nim -- AC: 15 HP: 6 of 13 bless
Wicewakan -- AC: 14 HP: 14 of 14 bless


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

Yay tracking multiple timeframes! Late the previous day, just before bedding down and beginning watches...

Nora Kettlesmith wrote:

Nora had watched what had happened to the body with Corbrius' sword but had just nodded as his explanation. "There are a host of possibilities, I didn't know you had a magic sword Corbrius, but you should be wary of using it if you don't know what it does..." that last is meant more as friendly advise than an admonition, and she doesn't bring it up again during the night.

She takes Nim's outburst in stride, nodding as he speaks "I'll do my best Nim, though sometimes the immediate needs of a member of the ground or a couple might necessitate making a choice that isn't perfect." she gives him a short smile "At the time I had perfect faith in your abilities to handle that snake, even if it was healed a little. Maybe it would be a good idea after we set up camp to discuss tactics with the group?"

Anton appears preoccupied, not really hearing her. For hours, he's been switching back and forth between considering moral and practical concerns, all of them pressing. "Say. I can't believe none of us have mentioned this yet, but it looks like you're the only one without a backpack, Nora, since you left yours on board. It might be a heavy burden, bearing the belongings of the deceased; but you have Desna to lean on. Will you take that responsibility?"

Anton probably would've said something about Larissia's compass at the same time, since it wasn't in the backpack, but I just noticed that Tragershen neglected to include his elven +2 to ID magic items. I need to know how that changes things, if at all, before deciding what Anton said about it.


Elven Wizard 5 HPs 27/27 AC 18 FF 14 T 14 CMD 16 Fort +3 Ref +5 Will +4 Init +4 Per +7

Tragershen moves to I5 and lets his rapier fly from his hand, singing through the air at the creature in G7.

To hit 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14
Damage 1d6 + 0 ⇒ (1) + 0 = 1

With those rolls, I seriously doubt it would impact what the others have posted...


Corbrius and Tragershen both miss the Vermin.
Anton crushes the Eurypterid in a mighty Hammer strike, ceasing its retreat.
Nim works together with Wic to strike another heavy blow on the bigger Eurypterid. It looks like it might survive the 2nd blow as it staggers for a moment before curling over as it life fluids drain out.

Nora is up.

Order of Combat Round 3:
Nora 21
Eurypterid 18 (#1 & 2 are dead)
Corbrius 13
Tragershen 9
Anton 4a
Nim 4b
Wic 4c


Corb makes a determined effort to land a blow and finally seems to get the hang of it, his blade ringing against the creature's carapace.

Attack of 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20 for 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10 damage.


Nora dances across the sand till she is positioned more centrally, yet remaining within reach distance of Nim. She watches as two of the creatures are crushed beneath her compatriots weapons. "Nim, do you feel alright? Those things look like they might be poisonous..." she says, while reaching out to touch the druid, soft glowing light enveloping her hand.

Nora will move to L12-K12-J12, than use her other 1rst level spell and spontaneously cast a cure light wound for 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6 point of healing on Nim


The remaining beast, having no intellect, continues to fight for its meal, reluctant to give up such a great feast.
The small man at your feet, who you recognize as Gelik, is stirring and awakening as is the shackled prisoner you knew as Jask that was being attacked by the large Vermin.

claw atk 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4 dam 1d3 ⇒ 2 Miss
claw atk 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17 dam 1d3 ⇒ 2 Miss
sting atk 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20 dam 1d3 ⇒ 3 Hit

One pincer gets close to grabbing Corbrius and he is distracted enough to not see the stinger coming in, connecting solidly.

Corbrius:

Need 1 fort save D13 please from the stinger...

Sorry for the delay, tabletop night!

Corbrius then strikes out, landing an impressive blow opening a huge gash in its mouth as its smelly innards start pouring out...but it still seems to have some fight left in it!

Everyone else is up!


Male Human 5th level Druid
Stats:
Init +1 Perception +11 AC 20 Tch 13 FF 19 HP 50 Fort+6(+7 vs disease) Ref+2 Will+7 Spd 20' CMB +8 CMD 21 Acro-2*Climb+6*Esc Art-2*Spellcraft+5 Stealth-2*Swim +6 ACP -2 (shield)

Nim feels Nora's divine magic enter his body as a rush of euphoria. The wounds stop bleeding and the flesh begins to mend as he rushes past to help Corbrius with the final sea scorpion. I am fine Nora, thanks to you. My gratitude! he calls as he runs. Barking at Wicewakan to attack handle animal 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11 success the two of them move into position around the final creature. move actions Nim moves straight ahead to H11 and Wic moves wide right to F13 avoiding AoO

Once again flanking their prey, the both launch furious attacks...

Wicewakan standard action bite w/flank & bless at G12 1d20 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 2 + 1 = 18 damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

Nim standard action spear w/flank & bless at G12 1d20 + 4 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 4 + 2 + 1 = 27 damage: 1d8 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7

Confirm critical 1d20 + 4 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 4 + 2 + 1 = 21 additional damage 2d8 + 6 + 6 ⇒ (8, 3) + 6 + 6 = 23 for a total of 30 from Nim. :)

Wicewakan's bite makes contact just as Nim drives his spear through the beast with incredible force...

Current status (round 3):
Nim -- AC: 15 HP: 12 of 13 bless
Wicewakan -- AC: 14 HP: 14 of 14 bless

EDIT: Sorry if I am stepping on toes, init wise... but I have time to post right now...


Elven Wizard 5 HPs 27/27 AC 18 FF 14 T 14 CMD 16 Fort +3 Ref +5 Will +4 Init +4 Per +7

I have no problem with you posting out of order ahead of Tragershen; it helps keep the action going!

Seeing Nim and Corbrius dealing with the last creature, Tragershen crouches next to Sasha to see if she is in immediate danger and help her if she is.


Nim:
Just a quick thing Nim, I am going to rule that you can't move in such a manner to have both of you get the flank during a move and attack. Your dog isn't really smart enough to move up and ready an action to attack on concert with you, that movement is tough tactically. Now you can command him to attack and move up right after him and attack with the flank and he will have it next round.

Between Anton and Nim they finish the last beast.
Things become suddenly very quiet on the beach...the lapping of the water, the seagulls, the backgound jungle noises...

The five souls on the beach are the following passengers:
Sasha

Gelik
Jask
Aerys
Ishirou

You notice several odd things about the situation, they are all wearing their armor, the ones that owned it, but they have no weapons or equipment.

There is a rapier at the edge of the water as well as some drag like marks around this area of the beach as well as some blood that doesn't appear to belong to the passengers. They are all hurt in varying degrees, with stings and pincer marks, it may be some time before they are fit to move around.

The Gnome Gelik is the first to awaken fully.


Gelik
What...what in the Abyss is going on here? My leg and my shoulder sting so!
Why am I on the beach???
he looks around the beach seemingly dazed, unable to understand what is going on.

DC 15 Heal Check:

Gelik has 4 points of CON damage as well as some normal damage.

DC 20 Heal Check:

A thorough exam of Gelik and the others leads you to believe that they may be poisoned in a different manner as well as the Stinger poison.


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

We were hoping that you could tell us that! And where's the ship? Though untrained in healing, five years in the army left him not completely useless, so he checks Gelik's legs and shoulders (not knowing if he was complaining about the right or left). Too bad take 10 wouldn't work for me here. Heal check: 1d10 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5 Nope. He has no idea what's wrong.


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

Turning his attention to his strengths, Anton examines the drag marks and retrieves the rapier that sparked his curiosity. I hope no one was dragged into the surf before we got here... Take 10 on Survival for 16 on tracking.


As the others see to the last remaining creature Nora calls out "Make sure they are dead, we don't want any surprises..." before she gets to her new primary task, looking on the various people laying around and seeing to them. Healing Check at 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23

After a cursory look over Gelik's wounds and examining an area around one of them she tells the other "Try not to move them too much, but it looks like many of them are poisoned, and not just by those creatures. I'll do what I can.. if one of you can aid me?"

Not sure how you want to handle this but basically after a quick cursory examination Nora will try and 'Treat Poison' on anyone who needs it, she may also use a channel or two if necessary. If anyone things they can pass a DC10 heal check to aid me on this, the extra +2 couldn't hurt. She'll obviously treat people to their seeming level of severity, trying to stem further poison damage until everyone is at least able.


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

Revised and expanded due to new info in the Discussion thread.

Late the previous day, just before bedding down and beginning watches...

Anton appears preoccupied. For hours, he's been switching back and forth between considering moral and practical concerns, all of them pressing. "Say. I can't believe none of us have mentioned this yet, but it looks like you're the only one without a backpack, Nora, since you left yours on board. It might be a heavy burden, bearing the belongings of the deceased; but you have Desna to lean on. Will you take that responsibility?"

"As for the wayfinder that Tragershen identified" -- he nods respectfully in the wizard's direction -- "I would like to use it until it either goes home with Larissia's body or is retrieved by her Society. Nora and I are the only ones of us who like compasses enough to already have one, and Nim and I are the only ones trained in orienteering. Nim might find a compass useful, but I would give him mine to use while I had the wayfinder, so that isn't really a factor."

"Since Tragershen's spell revealed the command word to make it light up, I could use it to save my oil and sunrods. On the other hand, Nim could use it to prepare a different... what are they called... those minor spells for druids and clerics... not cantrips, the other one... Anyway, you know what I mean."

"I would also like to carry Larissia's map. As you know, I like maps so much that I make them myself." He holds up the map maker's kit that he was using earlier that day. "But it's really up to the group. What do you all think?"


Anton Green wrote:
We were hoping that you could tell us that! And where's the ship? Though untrained in healing, five years in the army left him not completely useless, so he checks Gelik's legs and shoulders (not knowing if he was complaining about the right or left). Too bad take 10 wouldn't work for me here. Heal check: 1d10 + 1 Nope. He has no idea what's wrong.

Examining the beach you do indeed suppose fromt he tracks that someone fought some of the Vermin and possibly didn't make it...

Anton, your keen eyes also notice something very alarming...you see some burnt wooden pieces washed up on the shore...your mind is swirling with possibilities, none of them good.

Gelik:
I don't seem to have it on my person! he says annoyed and laced with sarcasm,
How should I know, the last thing I remember is we were all having dinner with the captain then things get fuzzy and nothing...what do you think happened to us?

You can assist others with a DC 10 heal check.


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

Yelling a little to make sure they can all hear him over the waves lapping at the beach, "Hey guys, we have some burned wood washing up over here!" Lowering his voice to normal volume when he returns to Gelik, "I'm starting to get some ideas, and they aren't good. We'll talk this over once we're sure that everyone is stable."

He then answers Nora's call for assistance, which is more within the range of his abilities. Heal to aid a Nora: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2 Ouch. But not this time. He finds himself just getting in the way, so he tries making himself useful by examining the blood on the beach that wasn't from their own fight, to see if he can figure out how long it's been there, and maybe even the species. Knowledge/Nature I guess? 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26


Between the water and the sand and the battle its too hard to tell but you are guessing the overall scenario might indicate a humanoid fought some of these Vermin and lost and was potentially dragged out to sea.

The blood hasn't been here too long as it would be washed away with high tide which will occur tonight.

There are also a couple of drag marks leading on to the beach where a couple of the passengers were laying.

Now that Anton says something about it, Nora actually does notice a couple of burn marks on Ishirou and Jask.


Elven Wizard 5 HPs 27/27 AC 18 FF 14 T 14 CMD 16 Fort +3 Ref +5 Will +4 Init +4 Per +7

Unsure how he can help with the survivors, Tragershen stays back to let the competent help. After Anton's discovery of the burnt wood, Tragershen comments We might want to check if these eurypterids have any meat suitable to harvest and consumption. We may be here for a little while.

Tragershen will walk up and down the beach about fifty yards or so each way. He is looking for anything useful (either to survival or to figure out what happened) that may be washed up on shore. Before walking in each direction, he'll make sure the sharp-eyed Anton is aware and keeping tabs on him in case he ends up needing help.


As the other passengers awake, all of them except for Jask begin to complain about their condition, their wounds, their lost equipment and money. Finally they start in about how hopeless their situation is. You also realized you are hungry and thirsty as well.
Did anyone bring additional food?

Aerys says it best:
Without our stuff and food and water we are going to be the next victims of the bloody Shiv! Our ending up here is just a confirmation that this place is cursed, cursed I tell ye!

Their stories confirm what Gelik tells you...it appears as though you are on your own for now!


Tragershen wrote:

Unsure how he can help with the survivors, Tragershen stays back to let the competent help. After Anton's discovery of the burnt wood, Tragershen comments We might want to check if these eurypterids have any meat suitable to harvest and consumption. We may be here for a little while.

Tragershen will walk up and down the beach about fifty yards or so each way. He is looking for anything useful (either to survival or to figure out what happened) that may be washed up on shore. Before walking in each direction, he'll make sure the sharp-eyed Anton is aware and keeping tabs on him in case he ends up needing help.

The beach is only about 100 feet long before it ends up in cliffs and reefs on both side going 100+ feet straight up.

You do find some more pieces of burnt wood and what you think might be a piece of burnt canvas...or maybe a sail...you get a sinking feeling in your stomach...


Elven Wizard 5 HPs 27/27 AC 18 FF 14 T 14 CMD 16 Fort +3 Ref +5 Will +4 Init +4 Per +7

Tragershen will collect the remains of wood and canvas, pulling it away from the water to make sure it doesn’t get swept away by the waves. Some pieces might be useful in building a campsite, but even if they aren’t big enough for that they can be used for firewood, tinder, etc.

The wizard only had one day of rations on his person, which would have been consumed in the previous day’s outing and overnight camping.

Discussion the night before:

Nora, perhaps you should carry her backpack, since you left your own on the ship.

I would be fine with Anton carrying the compass and maps. The scroll case she had it in is sealed, but if you find the seal drying out, I have more sealing wax with me; just let me know if you need some.

If Anton takes the map and compass, and Nora takes the backpack, Tragershen will say That leaves two sunrods and these four vials. This one is a magical potion, but I haven’t been able to identify the effects of it yet. These others cure injuries and disease. This last one is an anti-toxin that helps ward off or overcome poison, although only for a short time. I am willing to carry them here he says, indicating one of his pouches unless some else really wants to carry some of them. I will also label them so any of you can tell them apart in case I am incapacitated or… otherwise unavailable. All of you are literate, correct? Good.

If anyone pipes up saying they want to carry an item, Tragershen will pass it off after labeling it. He’ll also watch where they stow it in case he has to retrieve it in a hurry under adverse circumstances. If the cleric or druid asks for the healing items, he’ll hesitate, asking Is it a good idea for those of us with healing abilities gifted to them to carry universal items of care as well? What if we are separated, or you fall victim and need it used upon you?


HP 6/9, Fort save of 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15 is successful.

Corb clutches his leg until the bleeding stops, looking obviously distraught at the situation. Now hold on here. You're saying the lady in charge is dead, our ship is sunk, and we're stuck here till those Pathfinder folks decide we're late and come looking for us? His face sinks as he fails to find a curse strong enough for his feelings. Well that's just swell, ain't it?

He sits down heavily on the beach and cleans his sword off while he things. So, we're stuck here for a few weeks. And there's something nasty enough to sink the ship around. We're gonna need... hold on, I think I read a story about some guy who got stranded on an island once. The young man hums in thought. We need shelter, somewhere we can bed down and defend. We need food, and plenty of fresh water. There's other stuff, like latrines, but those three are the big ones. A sigh escapes him. We also gotta wake up these people, and see if anyone else survived.

A little more vigorous now he goes and looks out at the water. I'm a fair swimmer, I could go see if there's anything to salvage from the ship. I'm just worried there's more of those stinging bug things out there. Anyone know if it'd be safe?


You don't see any part of the ship in the water, for all you know it could be a total loss...or it could have sailed away, although you are starting to doubt it.

I need a plan today for food/water. Is there anything else yo want to do?

BTW Experience so far is 250xp for the cobra encounter, 250xp for the Vermin encounter


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

Discussion the night before:
Tragershen wrote:
That leaves two sunrods and these four vials. This one is a magical potion, but I haven’t been able to identify the effects of it yet. These others cure injuries and disease. This last one is an anti-toxin that helps ward off or overcome poison, although only for a short time.

That reminds me. He gestures to indicate the other three spellcasters. I know that this isn't a good time, and I'm sure that you would've done it already if you could right now, but maybe one of you could take a crack at identifying that one potion when we get to a safer place? Or maybe Tragershen could try again later? I don't really know how it works. Poor Anton. It would all be so much easier for him if he could read the CRB.

Like Tragershen, out of rations. But I have fishhooks, twine, and skill! <gives a thumbs-up with an exaggerated, open-mouthed smile>

Anton looks oddly at Corbrius. No. Even I can't see what's under that water. I fully intend to take what flotsam and jetsam the Arcadian Ocean sends our way, and thank Gozreh politely. But I'd rather hear more bad ideas than bellyaching.

Anton looks around at everyone else, raising his voice. Corbrius here wants to live! You know how I can tell? Because he's talking about the future, and what to do to make it better! The first rule of survival is, no whining. You want to die? All you have to do is lose hope, and you will give it less than your best, and nature will take care of rest.

If you want to live, then you will shut up about what you don't have, and start talking about what you do have, and what we can do to get what we want: health and safety. But hells, even that isn't enough! We also need to seek happiness. My comrades here have heard my motto before, safety third, but not the explanation. It's simple: look good, have fun, safety third.

If safety really came first as everyone trying to recruit a miner or sailor claims, then we'd never leave the house. Survival means more than just subsistence; it means living! And so from now on, anybody who complains will have to answer to me about why they want to die. Why they're committing suicide. Do you understand? His words fall into a stunned silence. I said, DO YOU UNDERSTAND!!

Assuming some kind of response, however grudging... Good. Then we need to find out what skills everyone has, and get on with living, starting with food and water. I'll be checking the water scorpions for edibility, at Tragershen's excellent suggestion. Anybody who wants to live is welcome to join me in planning and doing. Anybody who wants to die is welcome to complain somewhere very far away from me, and without any of my help.

Take 10 on Survival for 15 to harvest meat from the eurypterids.


The Previous Evening:
Nora nods her head Yeah, of course I'll take her backpack, assuming it's not too heavy she would shift through it, unpacking it and repacking it to she knows everything that in it, plus it's weight of course. She answers Anton's second question easily enough "Um, I mean in theory I suppose, but I'd have to wait till tommorow and honestly, I'm not really that good at that sort of thing"

Nora spends her time treating the poison victims first Taking 10 on a Treat Poison check gets her a 17, so that's what she'll do unless someobody starts vomiting blood or something and ensuring everyone is reasonably bandaged. At some point, when everyone is talking and within range, there is a strange sound, like music just not quite heard, and the sparkle of nearly seen stars as wounds close Channel Energy for 1d6 ⇒ 6 damage.

When she is finally finished making sure nobody is dieing and everyone is up and around she can listen to the conversation going out, and nods to Anton's rousing speech. "We're far from being in serious trouble. We do need to find a source of food and such, but I'll be able to conjure us fresh water tomorrow, I have a ration left here I think, though it won't be enough for everyone, still it's a start. Besides those things have to be living off something other than us right?

She remains positive in her outlook and subdued only in so far as she doesn't want her cheerfulness to get grating. She does look around, trying to appraise the various people she is now stuck on an island with, though she seems comfortable supporting Anton's 'get up and go' attitude for the time being.


Jask finally looks up from his bonds...
I am glad to see you still have courage. he shows you his bound arms, But you are the ones with weapons and it appears a means to do what you want. I care little for my lot, my fate was sealed months ago, but the others are battered, poisoned, and down trodden, maybe you could show them more than your anger?

The others won't meet your gaze...

Anton knows enough about the creatures to get what meat you can out of them. You think it is better to go ahead and get everyone fed as you decide your next move.

There is plenty of meat but the taste is....lets just say not something you would choose to eat. Gelik actually throws his back up but the rest of you manage to keep the oily meat down. He ends up eating the last of Nora's rations.

It's mid morning when some thunderheads move in and you are pounded by rain for several hours. Thoroughly soaked but at least no longer thirsty you must determine yor next objective.


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

Anton sees that his speech was ill-received. Using friendly, soothing body language, he spends some time talking to each person individually, asking about how they're doing and what they'd like to change, aside from things in the past that can't be changed.

Everyone sits miserable from the rain. Anton clears his throat. Well. First, here's what the signs and memories indicate: those of you who were still on the Jenivere lost consciousness before whatever happened, so may have been poisoned or bespelled. The debris implies that the ship was burned and broken up. There was a lot of action on the shore; two of you were apparently dragged up onto the beach, and there was some blood and tracks that indicated that maybe someone was dragged out into the surf by those vermin, less than a day ago by the tide patterns. There was also this rapier. He gestures at the weapon that he retrieved from near the sea, that he stuck standing up in the sand.

Second, I think that we should take some time to grieve. We have losses to deal with and a body to bury. He gestures toward Larissia's covered corpse and his eyes moisten. I'll probably never see Clopper again, and he was the best warpony ever! He covers his eyes and pauses, then takes a deep breath and looks up.

After that, we still need to talk about who can do what, and what to do. Nim and I can forage for more than we need ourselves, but if any of the rest of you have any skill at wilderness survival, we could use your help. I have a... situational weapon or two that I could spare, and it might be that someone else does, I don't know.

Finally, or maybe first, we also need to decide what to do about you, Jask. He turns to look directly at the bound man. We need every hand we can get, but only what we can trust. How can we trust you? He looks at the rest. I think it would be best for him to say his piece first, and then any who have something to add one way or the other can say theirs. But, it's not like I know anything about proper procedure in situations like this. If there is one.


Male Human 5th level Druid
Stats:
Init +1 Perception +11 AC 20 Tch 13 FF 19 HP 50 Fort+6(+7 vs disease) Ref+2 Will+7 Spd 20' CMB +8 CMD 21 Acro-2*Climb+6*Esc Art-2*Spellcraft+5 Stealth-2*Swim +6 ACP -2 (shield)

Date: 28th of Rova 4708 (Day 2 on the island)
Time: late morning
Location: stranded on "the Shiv" (map co-ordinates?)
Current XP Total: 100

Previous night...
Nim sits and listens to Anton make plans for all of Larissia's gear. He says nothing at first, but when questioned about his desires he simply replies, I have no need for compass or map... I read the earth and the sky. I go where they wish me to go...

Nim likewise makes no claims on the potions. In response to Anton's request, Nim says, I have no skill in identifying mage touched items. I'm confident that Tragershen will figure them out in time.

On the beach...
Nim stands over the defeated vermin, and takes immediately to dressing the creatures for consumption. Nim eats his portions without complaint. He stands silently listening to the others, as they converse with those newly discovered on the beach. Realizing that food is low, Nim offers to forage for whatever he can for the rest of them. He uses his ability to create water to keep everyone hydrated. He assists Trager in scavenging whatever they can find along the beach and begins searching for a suitable place to make a more permanent camp. When Corbrius speaks, Nim interjects, I am not stranded here... I am exactly where I wish to be.

At Anton's outburst, Nim does not respond in any way. He stares at the jungle, his mind soaking in the island and all that entails. When the rains start, Nim sits blissfully in the open...

When Anton begins speaking again, Nim offers a spear to whomever wishes it. I can also try and fabricate some crude weapons given the time and materials, but I suspect my time will be better spent finding food.

When the conversation turns to Jask, Nim does not hesitate in drawing his dagger and striding up to the bound man. He looks him straight in the eye, and without a word, grabs his wrists and cuts the binds...


Male Human 5th level Druid
Stats:
Init +1 Perception +11 AC 20 Tch 13 FF 19 HP 50 Fort+6(+7 vs disease) Ref+2 Will+7 Spd 20' CMB +8 CMD 21 Acro-2*Climb+6*Esc Art-2*Spellcraft+5 Stealth-2*Swim +6 ACP -2 (shield)

Nim studies the sky, determining what weather is to be expected in the next 24 hours... Survival check: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15 success


Unfortunately the man is bound with heavy iron shackles.

Nora:

This is the summary of damage to the other castaways
Aerys: 1 Con damage
Gelik: 4 Con damage
Ishirou: 3 Con damage
Jask: No con damage but you can see he is very slight of form and already suffering due to the wet
Sasha: 5 Con damage

Nim, you get the feeling that the rain has passed for a while so you might have a decent window until tomorrow morning to do what you must.

It will be very hot soon so if you plan to forage you had better do it quickly.


Do you wish to try and start on a shelter here on the beach or somewhere else?

Need a survival check for foraging
Need a survival check for shelter

Let me know if you are rolling yourself or assisting.


I am not hunter or mason...I feel so weak...


Give me that extra rapier! I need something to defend myself with...


Tragershen:

It occurs to you that there were two wrecks visible along the shoreline east and west of you that were fairly intact. They might have some useful supplies, you are just not sure how long it would take you to get to them through the jungle.


Male Human 5th level Druid
Stats:
Init +1 Perception +11 AC 20 Tch 13 FF 19 HP 50 Fort+6(+7 vs disease) Ref+2 Will+7 Spd 20' CMB +8 CMD 21 Acro-2*Climb+6*Esc Art-2*Spellcraft+5 Stealth-2*Swim +6 ACP -2 (shield)

When the conversation turns to Jask, Nim does not hesitate in voicing his opinion. This man owes me no debt, nor likely harbors me ill will. I would assume the same with the rest of you? Whatever transgressions he has committed are irrelevant to me given the current situation. We will need all able hands if we are to prevail here on the island.

What does interest me is that someone saw fit to see that these individuals were safely deposited from whatever transpired upon the Jenivere after we disembarked. The fact that they included Jask is testament enough to me that he poses no threat... Nim pauses and looks Jask in the eye, ... should that prove... poor judgment... then I shall accept full responsibility and consequences for his actions.

Nim examines the heavy iron binding his wrists. We should see about removing these... Nim looks at the others for confirmation, Objections?

If none are raised, he inquires as to whether anyone has any skill in removing such devices, "no judgement inferred", or any other ideas for removing them. If freeing Jask is resisted, Nim shakes his head in disappointment, apologizes to Jask, but abandons the cause in his desire to get some foraging in before the heat of the day.

Nim then asks Anton if he can see about selecting a suitable camp spot and setting some of the others in construction of a shelter.

Any who wish to accompany me are welcome. Ishirou? Jask? Do you wish to assist me? Nim adds to the rest, It is probably best that we don't wander too far astray unless in at least groups of 2 or 3.

Nim looks over the assembled castaways... Can you give us a little more detail on the newcomers? Anything that might indicate what talents they might be able to contribute. Nim is a little more judge a book by its cover as opposed to directly conversing with them to find out. ;)

Some of us should also stand ready to defend the others. There are many things upon this island that will be interested in making meals of us. We should remain ever wary and ready to defend ourselves.

Nim then takes whomever wishes to accompany him and Wicewakan and heads off to do some foraging before the heat of the day. Survival check (forage): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (17) + 9 = 26 That should do nicely. :)


Elven Wizard 5 HPs 27/27 AC 18 FF 14 T 14 CMD 16 Fort +3 Ref +5 Will +4 Init +4 Per +7

Prior Evening:
Then Tragershen will hold onto the potions, sunrods and antitoxin. He makes sure each is clearly labeled, and that the others from Larissia’s group know which pouch he has stowed them in. Once he has them there, he won’t move them to another spot.

I think we should set up a camp here, at least for tonight. I have a hammock and a couple yards of canvas in my pack. We can use the canvas to shelter anyone who is ill or recovering, and we can use the hammock to keep any provisions we find off the ground. We can start scouting out from here and maybe find a better spot to which we can relocate our camp.

In a pensive moment, Tragershen remarks I recall that there were two wrecks along the shoreline not far from here. One to the east and one to the west. I don’t know how long it would take to work our way around those cliffs and get to them, but if we do, we might find some useful supplies. Maybe even intact barrels of food. Perhaps some of us should go and see if we can make our way to them. Looking around the camp, he says There is, what, ten of us? Perhaps if half go to find useful gear and the other half stay to watch and work on the campsite?

To Anton’s query, he’ll say I do have some modest wizardry skills, but nothing that I think will necessarily help in these damnable circumstances. And I fear my knowledge is more esoteric than practical, though I have worked in just about every job there is at one point or another.

Regarding Jask, Tragershen will contribute He's done no harm to me, and I doubt anyone here can testify to what he is supposed to have done wrong. I say free him if we have the means.

101 to 150 of 3,325 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Stephens Serpents Skull Campaign PBP Chapter 1: Smugglers Shiv All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.