Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

DM Stephens Serpents Skull Campaign - Chp1:The Smugglers Shiv (Inactive)

Game Master terok

With the defeat of the dark Dryad and surviving many of the islands others challenges, the party is well on their way to becoming the Shiv's masters...only Ieana stands in their way...


1 to 50 of 3,325 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

PBP thread


28th of Rova 4708

You have been at sea for quite a while. Some of you months, others weeks. Today is a day like many of the others. It is hot, hot enough at mid day that you are only in your clothes, armor being just too damned uncomfortable.

Larissia has called a meeting of your group, you think it must finally be time for her to tell you where you are going and what you can expect.

The voyage hasn't been too bad. The crew of the Jenivere appears to know their jobs, but for the most part have kept to themselves.

The Jenivere has a number of people of note on the ship,
Aerys Mavato: This severe half-elven woman boarded in Port Peril, where she immediately got into a scrape with a crude sailor. She spends most of her time in her bunk, seeming to purposefully avoid fraternizing with the ship’s other passengers.
Alizandru Kovack: A Chelish man whose family has made the Magnimar to Eleder run for generations, Captain Kovack is pleasant enough with his passengers, but a strict disciplinarian when dealing with his crew.
Alton Devers: The Jenivere’s first mate is friendly with both passengers and crew, but he sometimes seems to chafe under the strong discipline of Captain Kovack.
Gelik Aberwhinge: A sharply dressed gnome from Magnimar, Gelik spends much of his time writing in the ships’ common areas, and takes every opportunity to tell long-winded stories, boast of past journeys, or quip about anything in his field of view.
Ieana: A bookish Varisian scholar who tends to keep to herself, Ieana is traveling to Sargava to explore the ancient ruins there. Rumors aboard the ship alternately suggest that she’s the Jenivere’s owner, a Chelish agent, or Captain Kovack’s secret lover. Ieana keeps mostly to herself, and grows more intent on her studies with each mile the ship travels closer to Eleder.
Ishirou: A scruffy human of Tian heritage, Ishirou boarded at Bloodcove and waits to reach Sargava with a quiet eagerness. Aloof but not rude, he gives the impression of one who has had a hard life but find himself currently without direction.
Jask Derindi: A prisoner loaded aboard in Corentyn, Captain Kovack sees to this taciturn human’s needs with curt courtesy, but insists he be left alone, sequestered in the ship’s brig.
Rambar Terillo: A taciturn man from Senghor, Ship’s Cook Terillo has served in that capacity aboard several ships, though apparently not on account of his culinary skills, which seem to be limited to watery soups.
Sasha Nevah: This red-haired human boarded the Jenivere in Ilizmagorti. Since leaving Mediogalti Island, the woman’s somber demeanor has gradually faded, revealing a boisterous and optimistic personality. None have yet questioned her about her missing left pinky finger.


Larissia is a friendly, younger Pathfinder with dark swarthy skin and quite pretty.

She speaks to you near the bow of the ship, away from prying ears for the moment.

Thank you all for your patience. The secrecy was requested by captain Kovack. You see he didn't want the crew to get all worked up when they found out where we are going.

We are heading to the island known as the Smuggler's Shiv and will arrive there tomorrow morning most likely. The captain will weigh anchor off the coast while we do an initial day trip into the jungle to make sure the area we pick for a potential campsite is safe and has the necessary materials for a base camp. The following day we will unload all of our supplies and then he will leave us for approximately 2 10 days when he will stop back by here to either pick us up or drop off more supplies.
What questions do you have for me?

You can make a Knowledge (geography, history, or local) or Profession (sailor) check to learn what is beneath the following spoiler to determine what you have heard about the island.

DC 10:
Smuggler’s Shiv is a notorious island north of Eleder. It’s not shown on most maps, but is rightfully feared by those who ply the waters of Desperation Bay. The island is named not only for the knife-like shape of its coastline, but for its uncanny habit of wrecking ships that draw too near—mostly smugglers eager to avoid detection by
Sargava’s navy.

DC 13:
It’s commonly believed that the shores of Smuggler’s Shiv are haunted by the ghosts and ghouls of the sailors who have died on the jagged rocks and reefs surrounding the island. These rumors are supported by reports of several failed attempts to establish long-lasting colonies on the remote island.

DC 18:
When Sargava was first settled, Chelish engineers erected a lighthouse on the Shiv’s southwest shore. The light was intended to warn approaching ships of the dangerous waters and, eventually, was to have been the first building in a small colony. The light and all plans for colonization were abandoned just before completion amid
rumors of curses, haunts, and cannibalism.

DC 23:
Rumors hold that a group of shipwrecked Chelish soldiers, survivors of an attempted Thrune invasion of Sargava some 70 years ago, were stranded on the island. The rumors claim that they degenerated into a cannibalistic society, and that their descendants scour the isle’s shores for shipwreck victims to add to their meals.


Male Human 5th level Druid
Stats:
Init +1 Perception +11 AC 20 Tch 13 FF 19 HP 50 Fort+6(+7 vs disease) Ref+2 Will+7 Spd 20' CMB +8 CMD 21 Acro-2*Climb+6*Esc Art-2*Spellcraft+5 Stealth-2*Swim +6 ACP -2 (shield)

Nim, assembled with the others to listen to Larissia, leans comfortably against the ship's rail as she speaks. At her mention of their intended destination, "Smuggler's Shiv", and the need to keep this location from the crew, Nim, having no knowledge of this place himself, ponders the implications. He decides to wait and see if any of the others know of this place before asking the obvious question. Why does the crew fear this place?


Knowledge (History) of 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15.

Corb furrows his brow and taps his chin as he digs through his memories. Shuggler's Shiv... wait, no, I'm sure I've heard of it before. Now hold on, isn't that the haunted island that eats ships and settlements whole? A slightly worried look comes over him and he grasps the hilt of his sword for comfort. I thought we were going to the Mwangi, not digging for lost pirate treasure on a haunted island.


Corbrius Jank wrote:

Knowledge (History) of 1d20 + 5.

Corb furrows his brow and taps his chin as he digs through his memories. Shuggler's Shiv... wait, no, I'm sure I've heard of it before. Now hold on, isn't that the haunted island that eats ships and settlements whole? A slightly worried look comes over him and he grasps the hilt of his sword for comfort. I thought we were going to the Mwangi, not digging for lost pirate treasure on a haunted island.

Larissia smiles, It is those very rumors which is why the captain decided against telling his crew about our stop.

I am sure some of it is true, some of it non-sense. But that is part of the reason for having 5 companions that excel at handling such problems. I have it on good authority that there might be an important Azlanti ruin somewhere on the island, we just have to find it!
Her eyes twinkle as she speaks of the ruin...


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

Knowledge (Geography) 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19

You see a tanned halfling dressed much like the crew in cutoffs, clearly used to life on a ship, though his pith helmet speaks of tropical exploration as well. He looks remarkably at ease sitting on the rail, which happens to put him looking eye-to-eye with the rest.

Anton leans forward and furrows his brow in concern at the mention of Smuggler's Shiv, then relaxes. "It has a bad history, but superstitions mean opportunity, since then most people won't even try. Anything can be handled with skill and preparation; I should know, I've built a career on it." He grins.


Male Human 5th level Druid
Stats:
Init +1 Perception +11 AC 20 Tch 13 FF 19 HP 50 Fort+6(+7 vs disease) Ref+2 Will+7 Spd 20' CMB +8 CMD 21 Acro-2*Climb+6*Esc Art-2*Spellcraft+5 Stealth-2*Swim +6 ACP -2 (shield)

Nim listens to what the others have to say, and nods in agreement with Larissia's evaluation. Indeed, the truth usually lies somewhere between the extremes... He looks Larissia directly in the eyes before adding, I am sure that you have paid the captain handsomely to risk his ship and deceive his crew to get us to our destination. And not just the once, mind you. You plan to have him return for us in 10 days hence? How can you be assured that he will return? Or be able to? What contingency do you have for getting off the island should he fail to return... for whatever reason?


Niɱ wrote:
Nim listens to what the others have to say, and nods in agreement with Larissia's evaluation. Indeed, the truth usually lies somewhere between the extremes... He looks Larissia directly in the eyes before adding, I am sure that you have paid the captain handsomely to risk his ship and deceive his crew to get us to our destination. And not just the once, mind you. You plan to have him return for us in 10 days hence? How can you be assured that he will return? Or be able to? What contingency do you have for getting off the island should he fail to return... for whatever reason?

A good question...but in fact he is leaving us for two 10 days. As soon as he gets to Eleder he will notify the local Pathfinder guild that we were safely dropped off. If they don't hear from me within four 10 days they will use magic to locate us and send another ship. We Pathfinders don't abandon people Nim.

Also Kovack's family has been plying this route for several generations without incident and he can be trusted, I do not doubt he will be back for us.


Male Human 5th level Druid
Stats:
Init +1 Perception +11 AC 20 Tch 13 FF 19 HP 50 Fort+6(+7 vs disease) Ref+2 Will+7 Spd 20' CMB +8 CMD 21 Acro-2*Climb+6*Esc Art-2*Spellcraft+5 Stealth-2*Swim +6 ACP -2 (shield)

That is assuming that the good captain makes it to Eleder and the guild and that there are some of us left to search for. Aren't these waters full of pirates and sea monsters capable of sending a ship to the bottom with little effort? Nim does not wait for a response. No matter. I am fine with remaining on the island indefinitely... He looks Larrisia and Nora up and down in an obvious manner. At least we will have some fine breeding stock should the stay become... extraordinarily lengthy. It is quite obvious that Nim means this as no insult, but rather a compliment... 8 Charisma :)


Elven Wizard 5 HPs 27/27 AC 18 FF 14 T 14 CMD 16 Fort +3 Ref +5 Will +4 Init +4 Per +7

Knowledge Geography 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24

Leaning in closely to the others, and making sure no crew is immediately within earshot, Tragershen will share some information...

Smuggler's Shiv is an island north of Eleder. It is not on most maps, though, and it is widely feared by those who know the name, mainly those around Desperation Bay. It got the name not only for its shape, but also because it tends to have an unusual amount of ships wreck upon it. It is believed widely that the shores are haunted by ghosts and ghouls, the remains of sailors wrecked there. And with the utter failure of every attempt to start a colony there, well, you can see why the rumors persist.

Tragershen pauses and looks about, making sure no crew members have edged closer to eavesdrop while he is talking. Then he continues.

When Sargava was first settled, the Chelish established a lighthouse on the southwest shore. It was abandoned just shy of completion in a flurry of rumors of curses, hauntings and cannibalism. Yes, cannibalism. As I have heard it told several times, a group of Chelish soldiers, survivors of an attempted Thrune invasion of Sargava approximately seventy years ago, that were stranded on the island. They degenerated into cannibals, and thir descendants feed on those unfortunate enough to cross their paths.

At that, Tragershen stands straight and listens to the discussions. A satisfied smile creeps onto his face. And that is why I am along for this little mission... he thinks, hoping the others recognize his value to this venture.

Tragershen's narration should have covered everything under the spoilers; he is not holding anything back, so you should feel free to check under the spoilers unless our DM would object to that.

In deference to Larissia, he will add Much of this is probably rumor and/or exaggerated. However, I shared the rumors and lore that I have so that you all may be prepared in case any sliver of it does turn out to be true, and so that you understand the crew's apprehension about our destination.

And I am content with your back up plan should the captain fail to return. In the worst case, I have little doubt but that we are a resourceful lot and can manage.


Crob shudders. Well if getting stranded there turns folks into crazy cannibals, I'm all for making it a short visit. Ain't looking to start no families on this voyage. He sticks his tongue out in disgust. So we drop in, fortify us a camp against the cannibals and ghouls and whatever else is hunting around, spend a bit of time poking at the old stones, then get picked up again. Sounds like a fair plan to me.


Tragershen wrote:

Knowledge Geography 1d20+10

Tragershen's narration should have covered everything under the spoilers; he is not holding anything back, so you should feel free to check under the spoilers unless our DM would object to that.

If you make the check you can share the spoilers when you are not in combat.


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

Anton's jaw drops at Nim's remark; his mind races for a way to smooth things over. What the... Things fall into focus. I'd better let them handle this themselves. His jaw snaps shut.

Then his jaw drops again, at Tragershen's revelation. "I thought the cannibalism was just to make the rumors more interesting! Now there's maybe some truth to it?" He holds his chin, eyes boring through the deck in concentration as Corbrius talks; then looks up, all humor gone. "Humans are some of the most dangerous predators in Golarion. This is still doable, but we will need to stay on alert at all times, and watch for tricks by hunters as smart as us."


Larissia nods her head at Tragershen, I hadn't heard all of that but I am not surprised. The island is probably dangerous for one reason or another. As we haved said we will be going to the island in spite of this danger. If we find this ruin, it will be worth the risk!


Male Human 5th level Druid
Stats:
Init +1 Perception +11 AC 20 Tch 13 FF 19 HP 50 Fort+6(+7 vs disease) Ref+2 Will+7 Spd 20' CMB +8 CMD 21 Acro-2*Climb+6*Esc Art-2*Spellcraft+5 Stealth-2*Swim +6 ACP -2 (shield)

Nim's muscular body tenses at the mention of undead possibly inhabiting the island. Muttering under his breath, the others can only make out the words ...not natural... as he stands fully upright and exhales sharply. You would almost swear his hackles are up.

As the conversation turns to the likelihood of encountering cannibals, Nim's body relaxes somewhat. It only makes sense... if the island lacks sufficient... resources. Many creatures of the world eat their own kind. Some men are no different. It bothers me not. If it is true, they are welcome to try and make one of us their meal... perhaps they should fear the same.


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

Anton glances sidelong at Nim, as if trying to examine him without drawing attention. Good, he doesn't appear hungry. Must've just been a kind of bravado...


If no one else has any questions, let's keep this to ourselves until the good captain tells his men.
Remember tomorrow morning we should be at the island and be ready for a day trip, we will be coming back to the ship before the end of the day so pack light.

We can retcon anything you want in case people didn't really have time to get on yesterday.
I think he only one we didn't hear from was Nora, but I like to push things along, there will be plenty of RP opportunities on the island!


The evening passes pretty uneventfully, You spend part of the time adjusting you gear for a day trip. The seas are a little rough so you are a little tired when you awake since your sea legs are still not with you one hundred percent

Please note any gear you may want to leave on the ship for the day, such as carrying two weeks of rations when you should need only one or less of you decide to hunt.

You awake to a muggy morning. As you step out onto the deck on the Jenivere you are greeted by Larissia, Welcome to Smuggler’s Shiv. Today is a grand day for adventures don’t you think? She looks excited and tired.
You see the Shiv, perhaps 200 feet away . The large rocky rim of the island is broken by a sheltered cove and what looks like a small beach perhaps 50ft in length. You can hear the cries of birds and jungle life even from this distance. Beyond the rim the fog of the morning bubbles up from island like a volcano.
You are facing the north side of the island from what she tells you. Already, you can make out the outline of two shipwrecks, one on the island's rocky shore to the west of your position at the base of a cliff, and one a little closer to the east of your position, but that one is broken on a small group of rocks just off the shoreline. Looks like the rumors of a ship graveyard is true of this island.

Today we scout out the area around the cove and make sure it is safe to set up a good base camp here.
Once we confirm that, the Jenivere will unload our supplies and then be off for at least two 10 days until its return to this cove.

You notice many of the crew staring at the shore, then staring at you. A mix of anger and fear on their faces. Kovack is currently yelling at several crew members that appear to not want to row you to shore. Eventually he "persuades" them when the lash is mentioned.
Alton is along with them and he happily helps you get your gear into the boat before lowering. He doesn't seem to mind the island, although he is a younger member of the crew.

Let me know if there is anything else you want to do before offloading onto the island. Looks like they are lowering the longboat to take you to shore.


Male Human 5th level Druid
Stats:
Init +1 Perception +11 AC 20 Tch 13 FF 19 HP 50 Fort+6(+7 vs disease) Ref+2 Will+7 Spd 20' CMB +8 CMD 21 Acro-2*Climb+6*Esc Art-2*Spellcraft+5 Stealth-2*Swim +6 ACP -2 (shield)

Nim has spent the entire morning sitting cross-legged upon the forecastle of the ship. His wolf companion laying faithfully by his side. He absentmindedly strokes the animal as he studies the nearby island. As the long boat is hoisted and made ready, Nim stands, stretching like a large cat before making his way to the rail. He taps the side of his leg, and the large grey wolf dutifully follows. Nim's modest equipment is stowed within, or strapped to, his shoulder bag. His shield and a few short spears are strapped to his back. A scimitar hangs from his belt and he carries a larger spear in his hand. As he watches the others make ready to leave, Nim stands barefoot upon the deck, breathing in deeply, as he makes a few deliberate gestures towards the sky and sea. His blessing complete, he and his wolf hop into the long boat...


Nora spent the first few minutes of the morning staring out at the shipwrecks before casually remarking to no-one in particular Lets hope we fare better than them... and than she's off to check her gear. She seems to decide against bringing most of what we has sunk away in her backpack, though she will put an extra ration or two in her belt pouch and bring along her rope and a lantern, unless others are provisioned in a similar way. You always end up needing rope! she'll remark cheerily if anyone inquires. Otherwise she will chat with anyone who bothers to talk with her, being rather sociable. She tugs on her boots, having taken to going bare-foot while on deck and will try to keep the mood light and morale high. Some time on Dry Land, a nice bit of walking, I'll bet you we're back before the first stars are up


Elven Wizard 5 HPs 27/27 AC 18 FF 14 T 14 CMD 16 Fort +3 Ref +5 Will +4 Init +4 Per +7

Tragershen stands ready to depart for shore.

He says to himself as much as to the other gathered explorers Be sure to listen to Anton and Nim once we are ashore. In a place like this, a thorn or insect can put an unpleasant end to you as quickly as any of the rumored things we discussed yesterday. His hand falls absentmindedly to a spot on his chest, which he rubs as though it aches.


Corb rechecks his pack one last time, muttering to himself. Rope and grapple, can't leave those for exploring, crowbar, might need it to shift a rock, spellbook, never leave that behind... well hell, if all I don't need is my bedroll, why bother unstrapping the damned thing. As the rest of the group gathers at the longboat he realizes it's time to go and hurries to join them. His hand rests on his sword as they set out, a nervous twitch that seems to be more about reassuring himself it's still there than being ready to draw.


Male Human 5th level Druid
Stats:
Init +1 Perception +11 AC 20 Tch 13 FF 19 HP 50 Fort+6(+7 vs disease) Ref+2 Will+7 Spd 20' CMB +8 CMD 21 Acro-2*Climb+6*Esc Art-2*Spellcraft+5 Stealth-2*Swim +6 ACP -2 (shield)

Nim responds to Tragershen's warning, Indeed. Many things upon that island can mean your death, and not all of them will be from expected sources. Best to be cautious... Seeing Tragershen rubbing his chest, he adds, Are you speaking from experience good elf?


Alton and two crew members row ashore. He chatters to you cheerfully and as you hit the beach he wishes each of you luck in your exploration. You get the feeling he wouldn’t mind accompanying you all if he had the chance.
It is quite beautiful and peaceful at the moment. The beach is about 50 feet wide and only about 20 feet deep at high tide. To the south, a wall of green rises in the form of a dense jungle filled with a cacophony of life from birds and insects. To the east and west, ragged arms of jagged rocks reach out to embrace a wave-tossed cove, while to the north, the waters of the sea surge and churn between the beach and a line of razor-sharp rocks. Steam also rises from the humid jungle, threatening a hot day.
It is hard going, the initial climb into the jungle is pretty steep with Nim and Corbrius in the front hacking their way into the jungle. Anton with his smaller size seems to have an easier time of it, but it is still tough going. You can only see about 30-40 feet around you before the vegetation blocks any longer range vision. You can imagine why it might take you weeks to find any ruins as you could walk within 50 feet of them and miss them.
You start by heading southwest hoping to do a gradual circle back to the beach. After about an hour you climb onto to more level ground and start to slowly make your way east. You take a small break, as some type of large bird flies overhead. You don’t get a glimpse of it as the canopy blocks your view but it was pretty big. Larissia chats with Nim about various plants as well as with Tragershen about his thoughts on when we find the ruin as you walk but by noon you are forced to stop as the heat gets too much, especially now that you are inland. The folks in medium armor are sweating heavily and you get the feeling that if you continued you might just collapse from the heat.
You eat a good lunch and drink plenty of water. You are even are able to pick a few fresh fruits to eat with lunch that you find nearby. About an hour after noon it pours down for about 2-3 hours. Visibility is almost null. You were NOT very well prepared for this kind of rain, but at least it cools down some.

It stops as suddenly as it started but the delay costs you as you are at least two hours behind track and the wetness makes travel that much more difficult. You start to cut north to scout another part of the Island and take this way back after it cools down in the late afternoon. You almost wander into a bog that blocks your route when suddenly something darts out from the edge of the water to strike at you!

DM Only:

Surprise Round:
perception Nim 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21
perception Anton 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24
perception Nora 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8
perception Tragershen 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10
perception Corbrius 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (18) + 0 = 18
perception Larissia 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15
vs stealth 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (13) + 17 = 30
initiative strings:
Nim 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
Anton 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7
Nora 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18
Tragershen 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17
Corbrius 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
Larissia 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (12) - 1 = 11
Shocker Lizard 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11

Anton, if you wish to use your Perception skill, you can use it at this time, am going to treat it as an immediate action if you so desire.

It is on top of you before you can really see it, striking out at Corbrius.
Creature attack in surprise round:
bite atk 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17 dam 1d4 ⇒ 4 Hit!

Order of Combat Round 1:
Nora 18
Tragershen 17
Shocker Lizard 11a
Larissia 11b
Anton 7
Nim 5
Corbrius 2

This dog-sized lizard has two horns, one on either side of its head,
and green scales that crackle with sparks of lightning.

DC 12 Knowledge Arcane check:

Very stealthy and small lizards, their main power is that they can generate an electric shock that grow more powerfu the greater their numbers. Other than being tough little critters you know that if you encounter a colony or clutch of these beasts they could easily overwhelm you. You probably want to exit the way you came and give the area a wide berth.

Combat Map Round 1

Nora is up, welcome to the Shiv!!!


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3
Larissia Landor aka DM Stephen wrote:

If no one else has any questions, let's keep this to ourselves until the good captain tells his men.

Remember tomorrow morning we should be at the island and be ready for a day trip, we will be coming back to the ship before the end of the day so pack light.

Anton's mind wanders as she talks about packing light, since he spent his whole adult life refining his pack down to what he needed to survive the unexpected, without being too burdened to use it. Let's see... grab some grub in case I don't feel like catching anything and some hooks and twine in case I do, and I should be good to go.

"Obviously, I wouldn't want to put my pony through all that just for a day trip, so I'll leave anything I don't need with him. Won't take but a moment for me to be ready." Transferring his 2 fishhooks, 50 ft. of twine, and 1 of his trail rations from the saddlebags to his backpack. Still only medium encumbrance. Two more posts to come, I'll try to combine them, just wanted to get this one out there.


Nora lets out a startled cry as the lizard appears and bites at Corbrius, though her surprise lasts but for a moment. In a quick motion she pulls a dagger from her belt and flips it end over end towards the creature trying to aid her new-found companion.

Nora will stay put and attack with a ranged dagger attack 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18;1d4 ⇒ 4


Elven Wizard 5 HPs 27/27 AC 18 FF 14 T 14 CMD 16 Fort +3 Ref +5 Will +4 Init +4 Per +7

To Nim's earlier question... Indeed. It has been a couple of years now and the wound is fully healed, but it still aches from time to time.

Tragershen draws his rapier, but rather than moving up, he let's it fly through the air toward the lizard.
To hit 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (18) + 0 = 18
Damage 1d6 + 0 ⇒ (6) + 0 = 6

That's a hand of the apprentice attack, so it is +4 for intelligence and I believe -4 for ranged attack into melee.

If that is a hit and potential crit, then here's confirmation...
To hit 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (13) + 0 = 13
Damage 1d6 + 0 ⇒ (5) + 0 = 5

Knowledge Arcana 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (13) + 10 = 23

Let's back out of here! There could be more! Overwhelmingly more!


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

The next morning, Anton checks in with each of his new teammates. Hard experience has taught him that a squad can be either weaker or stronger than you'd expect from its members, and it depends on how well they work together. Starting with the most recent additions, he spots Nim and his wolf in the forecastle; but instead of walking forward, he finds his bare feet rooted to the deck. Like the funny picture that can be a young woman or an old crone depending on how you look at it, he finally sees what it was about Nim that had been making him uncomfortable. That isn't a domesticated wolf with his master... that's a wild wolf with his alpha. Not a problem; I can deal with wild people too, as long as I know that's what I'm doing. He ponders. Better leave them alone there and find a better time.

Anton nods in approval when he sees that Nora is at least bringing along rope and a lantern, though leaving her heavy backpack behind. Now there's someone who knows that you never know when you might need rope. Since she boarded in Cheliax, I assume we're at least somewhat acquainted by now. "Good morning, Nora! You look prepared. I wanted to ask..." He glances away and takes a breath, then looks back at her from his human toddler's height, looking somewhat apologetic. "It's just, I'd like a blessing. I mean, not a spell or anything, but it's a rare treat for me to work with an actual cleric of Desna; I'm usually the closest thing that there is to a Desnan priest on my ship, let alone in my group, just because I know my Scrolls." He smiles wryly.

When Tragershen boarded at Mediogalti, Anton thought at first that he'd found a kindred spirit with passion for biology and spelunking. It was a bit of a humbling experience to gradually realize that even in the subjects that he cared most about and Tragershen the least, he was still at best the elf's equal. As expected, he found the sage in his quarters, the better to study without distractions. *knock* *knock* He raps on the half-open door to announce himself. "I'm not going to bother asking you if there's anything you want to know" -- Anton grins -- "but is there anything that I should? I mean, are there any particular needs or abilities of yours that I should keep in mind when spells and blades and blood are flying. Because it would be a bit too late for me to ask you then."

Was it ever said where Corbrius boarded? I don't recall. Anton then seeks out Corbrius, finally finding him in the galley with his mouth full. "Oh good, getting your strength up! I just wanted to make sure that we were all coordinated, but never mind trying to talk now. We can get caught up later." With a cheery wave, Anton heads topside to contemplate the shore and prepare himself mentally. To be clear, I'm giving you an opening as easy to ignore as to follow, since I'm not sure which you'd prefer.

One more post to follow soon.


Male Human 5th level Druid
Stats:
Init +1 Perception +11 AC 20 Tch 13 FF 19 HP 50 Fort+6(+7 vs disease) Ref+2 Will+7 Spd 20' CMB +8 CMD 21 Acro-2*Climb+6*Esc Art-2*Spellcraft+5 Stealth-2*Swim +6 ACP -2 (shield)

Nim spins around at the sound of the lizard's attack upon Corbrius. He immediately calls out to Wicewakan, Moskistam! free action handle animal check to command (attack): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7 (failure) But the wolf refuses to attack the crackling lizard. current position M 12

Nim bares his teeth and growls in frustration at Wicewakan but does not hesitate himself. Moving quickly into a position to strike at the lizard with his spear, Nim attempts to thrust the tip home... move action step to N 10 and then M 9 and standard action attack with spear 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5 damage: 1d8 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13 ...but misses the lizard and drives the spear point firmly into a large root protruding from the ground!

Current status: (round 1 after acting)
Nim -- AC: 15 HP: 13
Wicewakan -- AC: 14 HP: 14

A 1 on my first attack roll... a very inauspicious start for Nim. :)


Male Human 5th level Druid
Stats:
Init +1 Perception +11 AC 20 Tch 13 FF 19 HP 50 Fort+6(+7 vs disease) Ref+2 Will+7 Spd 20' CMB +8 CMD 21 Acro-2*Climb+6*Esc Art-2*Spellcraft+5 Stealth-2*Swim +6 ACP -2 (shield)

Previously on board:
Nim watches as Anton makes his rounds amoungst the companions... and his hesitation to approach. He continues stroking Wicewakan as his gaze returns to the island. Later, as they all pile into the longboat and make for shore Nim leans over, bringing his face close to the halfling's, and in a hushed tone remarks, Don't worry little one... I don't bite my friends... unless they give me good reason! Nim leans back and smiles broadly.


I think he would have boarded in Cheliax. Knowledge check of 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17.

Corb cries out as he's attacked and scrambles backwards, fumbling for his blade. Wow, a shocker lizard! I never seen a live one before.

I rather suspect between those two attacks it'll be dead well before my turn. Consider my action to draw a weapon and ready an attack if it's still not dead.


Male Human 5th level Druid
Stats:
Init +1 Perception +11 AC 20 Tch 13 FF 19 HP 50 Fort+6(+7 vs disease) Ref+2 Will+7 Spd 20' CMB +8 CMD 21 Acro-2*Climb+6*Esc Art-2*Spellcraft+5 Stealth-2*Swim +6 ACP -2 (shield)

I think it is tougher than you think... but perhaps Larrisia or Anton will hit it yet before your turn. :)


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3
Niɱ wrote:
** spoiler omitted **

Previously on board:
Anton maintains his ground, relaxed and smiling without showing teeth, as Nim declares peace and strength. Yes! Now's my chance! Wicewakan looks to Nim and sees him lean back. Anton molds his body language to fit them on the rest of the trip to shore, muscles loose like Nim and eyes attentive like the wolf, reflecting them like a friend would. He's especially careful to keep an eye on how they range out when the boat lands, so he can stay in pattern with them.
DM Stephen wrote:

It stops as suddenly as it started but the delay costs you as you are at least two hours behind track and the wetness makes travel that much more difficult. You start to cut north to scout another part of the Island and take this way back after it cools down in the late afternoon. You almost wander into a bog that blocks your route when suddenly something darts out from the edge of the water to strike at you!

Anton, if you wish to use your Perception skill, you can use it at this time, am going to treat it as an immediate action if you so desire.

Anton has been on edge ever since before even landing. He would absolutely use the Extraordinary Skill now.

Tragershen wrote:

Knowledge Arcana 1d20+10

Let's back out of here! There could be more! Overwhelmingly more!

Anton draws his lucerne hammer and whacks at the lizard 10' away. 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 191d10 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7 "Questions later, retreat north now!" He points for the directionally challenged.


Please be sure to give the the coordinates you want to move to otherwise I will make an assumption about your move.

Summary for Round 1:

Nora draws a dagger and throws it but between Larissia and the combat going on her throw is wide and the dagger disappears into the jungle somewhere around the creature!
Throwing through larissa provides cover as well as throwing into combat.

The same thing occurs for Tragershen, the rapier stabbing into the ground just wide of the creature. Corbrius providing cover.

The Shocker Lizard then goes and strikes out at Corbrius again:

bite atk 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20 dam 1d4 ⇒ 1 Hit and takes a small bite that only grazes his foot

Larissia withdraws on her turn and double moves to L14. Her only weapon appears to be a quarter staff.

Anton, is the Lucern hammer a reach weapon?
Anton attacks the creature and finally lands a solid blow on it smacking it in the torso.

You shouldn't have to roll a handle animal for your wolf to attack, as long as he has the combat trick. You can resolve Nim's wolf attack when you get back on I will assume he moves to M10 and attacks.

Nim's attack goes wide, with a hanging vine catching the spear in the dense woods.

Corbrius takes his blade out but it is very apparent that the creature is not dead with only one hit.

I will wait for you to resolve your two attacks before updating the map and moving to Round 2.

DM Only:

initiative strings:
Monster 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10


Anton Green wrote:


Anton has been on edge ever since before even landing. He would absolutely use the Extraordinary Skill now.

Let's back out of here! There could be more! Overwhelmingly more!

.

You find that even your keen senses are not enough to have seen the creature!
'
Sorry, it rolled pretty well and has incredible stealth...but I wanted to make sure you understand how the ability works so you can always retcon an action to use it if you want.
Also you came from the south so moving north into the bog may be moving you more into its territory. Also the bog looks very difficult to navigate...


One quick retcon...Nim gets +4 as a druid to handle his animal companion so it isn't automatic as I thought, forgot about the 8 charisma :), but his roll of 4 is still a success. He can only fail on a 1 or 2.


Male Human 5th level Druid
Stats:
Init +1 Perception +11 AC 20 Tch 13 FF 19 HP 50 Fort+6(+7 vs disease) Ref+2 Will+7 Spd 20' CMB +8 CMD 21 Acro-2*Climb+6*Esc Art-2*Spellcraft+5 Stealth-2*Swim +6 ACP -2 (shield)

Oops, yeah, forgot about that extra +4. :)

Wicewakan obeys and attacks the lizard... 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4 ...bit fails to land his bite.


Corb focuses on his blade for a moment and there's the faintest crackle in the air. The sword, though still showing many signs of wear, seems slightly brighter with a gleam to its edge. With a flourish that shows much practice, if perhaps less practical experience, he makes a clumsy slash at the creature.

It takes him a moment to regain his balance as everyone else takes a turn at the lizard before he can make a second strike.

Spending an Arcane Pool to empower the blade as a swift action, first round's attack is 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11 for 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8 damage.

Second round, same attack, 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20 for 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8 damage.


Order of Combat Round 2:

Nora 18
Tragershen 17
Shocker Lizard 11a
Larissia 11b
??????? 10
Anton 7
Nim 5
Corbrius 2

Active Effects:
None

The wily little creature avoids the other two attacks with its skittering around, looking for another opportunity to bite Corbrius.

Nora is up. People with actions on init count less than 10 might want to wait before posting their action.


Elven Wizard 5 HPs 27/27 AC 18 FF 14 T 14 CMD 16 Fort +3 Ref +5 Will +4 Init +4 Per +7

Everyone please back away! It could be guarding a nest and, if it is, we could be swarmed soon! I will explain later!


Assuming that others know about this sort of thing better than her, Nora heeds Tragershen and Anton's advise, skirting along the tree line away from the creature, while she draws another dagger to the ready.

Nora will move I11-H11-G11, and draw her dagger

Previously on Board:
Nora returned the halfling's greeting, more than happy to have one of the true faithful aboard. She smiles brightly and waves a dismissive hand at his request Of course Anton, it is my calling, what I'm here for after-all, well that and patching up people, though I think I prefer offering blessings, lets see... she shifts about pulling out her holy symbol and looking upward for a moment as if pulling something from memory before she begins her short liturgy. Desna Starsong, we ask you to look with favour on us, as we tread where none of us have been. Let us see sights none have before, be they dangers we must face, or wonders we shall speak of at camp beneath your stars. Show us your mysteries that we may sing of them. she finishes the simple blessing with a hand gesture and smiles again. Looks like we'll be off, I think we'll do well. I mean we have people knowledgeable about the wilderness and such, even if some are a tad more couth than others with a tilt of her head she directs that jibe towards Nim obviously, though it appears to be meant more as tease than insult.


Elven Wizard 5 HPs 27/27 AC 18 FF 14 T 14 CMD 16 Fort +3 Ref +5 Will +4 Init +4 Per +7

Tragershen will move to F12-ish and ready an action to start casting Sleep if more appear.


The shocker lizard suddenly withdraws, seeming to flee from you all. Anton catches movement out of the corner of his eye but can't seem to get any words out of his mouth as things happen so quickly...

Nora, why aren't you healing Corbrius? He has already been bitten twice by the little beast! She says in an annoyed tone.

perception 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11 doesn't see what is moving up...

Larissia shifts 5' south with a move action due to the terrain and then draws out a potion. This may help you Corbrius...what is that oh my gods!!!!

Just then a hissing noise rises out of the bush from behind Larissia...its as if time stands still for a moment. A snake, unlike anything you have seen before seems to slither out of the bush. Its black scales glistening off the jungle moisture...beautiful, terrifying...deadly. It is at least 10-12 feet long. It seems to stare at her for a moment before its neck hood widens and then it strikes hitting Larissia near the neck!

DC 15 Knowledge Nature Check (The CR does not match the DC, don't worry):

This a a rare black hooded king cobra. Its poison is almost always deadly to any normal man bitten. Its just a big, tough snake.

bite atk 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26 dam 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9 Hit or Miss
Potential crit
bite atk 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24 dam 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9 Hit or Miss
Confirmed!

She screams out for a moment before collasping onto the ground in convulsions....

Anton 7
Nim 5
Corbrius 2 up next

Combat Map Round 2


Corb had just begun to reach out to Larissia when the snake ambushes her. He bites out an infernal curse and lunges to protect her. Someone get that potion down her throat! Little help for me too would be swell, I'm fair hurting here. Intoning resonant syllables of power he sends a blinding burst of color into the snake's face.

Move to M12, cast Color Spray. Will DC 14.


Tragershen wrote:
Tragershen will move to F12-ish and ready an action to start casting Sleep if more appear.

This is difficult terrain so I moved you to I12 so you could still take your readied action. The fact that a snake appeared can still trigger your readied action...I am not big into stopping you from taking an action just because the "exact" terms are not met. Let me know if you start casting when it appears, remember casting sleep is a 1 round action..


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

"New plan! Heal who's deadest first if you can, else attack the snake!" Anton immediately puts that plan into action, running between Corbrius and Tragershen, charging the snake with his lucerne hammer.

It looks like moving from J9 to J10-K11-L12 would meet the requirements for a charge, and would cost 25 ft. out of the 30ft. that Anton can do in a double move. If so, attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 161d10 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

My bad, it looks like L12 would only cost 20 ft.; and if he can hit the snake from K12, then that would be even closer (just 15 ft.), which means he would have to charge there instead. Also, Knowledge/Nature check: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7 Never mind.. the dice gods are just hating me right now.


Male Human 5th level Druid
Stats:
Init +1 Perception +11 AC 20 Tch 13 FF 19 HP 50 Fort+6(+7 vs disease) Ref+2 Will+7 Spd 20' CMB +8 CMD 21 Acro-2*Climb+6*Esc Art-2*Spellcraft+5 Stealth-2*Swim +6 ACP -2 (shield)

Nim yanks his spear free and turns to face the new menace. Seeing Larrisia fall, Nim barks at Wicewakan, Kispewas! Urging the wolf to defend Larrisia. Nim then levels his spear at the snake and moves in to attack. handle animal check: 1d20 + 3 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 3 + 4 = 20 (success) Wicewakan moves swiftly to take up a protective position over the unconscious and prone Pathfinder, growling and snapping at the enormous snake with it teeth... move action to M 13. standard action attack w/ bite: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8 damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2 ...but the snake is too quick.

Nim moves up beside the vulnerable Larrisia and lunges at the snake with his spear, hoping to draw its attention away from his fallen employer... move action to N 13. standard action attack with spear: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22 damage: 1d8 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12 ...and drives the spearhead clear through the snake's body causing a geyser of blood to spray out!

Knowledge (nature): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14 Nim realizes the seriousness of a venomous snake this large... and looks for an opportunity to drag the Pathfinder clear of the monster.

Current status (round 2):
Nim -- AC: 15 HP: 13
Wicewakan -- AC: 14 HP: 14


DM Only:

perception Anton 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (19) + 10 = 29 detects other lizards comig 3 rounds away.
Con damage 1d2 ⇒ 2

Fortitude Save for Larissia 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9

Willpower Save for Snake 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10

Anton moves up but the snake is just too fast and dodges his attack by quickly pulling back

Wicewakan move over Larissia and snaps at the snake but again the snake is too fast. Nim moves next to him and goes for the body instead of the neck, using his knowledge of snakes to aid him to his target. He lands a solid blow to the creature, drawing blood and its attention...

Just then Corbrius moves just north of the group and unleashes a blinding fountain of light. It washes over the snake and the snake immediately loses focus on Nim and starts to sway a little, like it has been snake charmed... failed its save but it is not unconscious...

Nora is up.

Anton:
You have spotted some movement to the west and the north, you think a couple of the lizards are coming, attracted by the sounds of combat but they are at least 3 rounds away...

Nora:
Assuming you double move up as you get close to her you see the wound around her neck is turning black, a sure sign the the poison is setting in...its placement near the neck already puts doubt in the back of your mind that she can survive the next few seconds let alone the rest of the day...

1 to 50 of 3,325 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Stephens Serpents Skull Campaign PBP Chapter 1: Smugglers Shiv All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.