Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

DM Barcas - First Steps (PFS) (Inactive)

Game Master Isaac Duplechain

A group of Pathfinders embarks on their first missions, discovering that things in the Society are not as simple as delving dungeons and discovering treasures.


101 to 150 of 428 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | next > last >>
Grand Lodge

Male Human Cavalier (Order of the Star)/1

Astyannax takes his bag and looks inside briefly. Seeing the shining coins, he closes it and tucks it away inside a pouch.

[i]There will be time for counting later.[i]

He looks at his companions. "We have three more tasks to complete. Let's pick one and then prepare for it a bit this time."

After the incident with the medicine box, he checks to make sure that he does not have the letter from the venture captain on him.

"Who has the letter?"

Sczarni

Male Human Rogue 1 (Knife Master archetype)

Kehl takes the bag with a nod of thanks, and it disappears beneath his cloak, he then exits the temple hastily, as before.

He stands outside and habitually scans the area, waiting for his companions.

Perception Check[dice]1d20+4[/dice}

Grand Lodge

Male Human Cavalier (Order of the Star)/1

Astyannax watches Kehl rush outside, mutters: "For the love of..."

Iomedae, grant me patience.

To the rest, Apparently we'll never have any kind of strategy discussion inside a room with walls and a ceiling. I'll be outside with him." He tilts his head towards the door Kehl just used. "Come out whenever you're done here and we'll figure out where to go next."

He plods towards the door and out.

Taldor

Male Human (Taldan) Bard 3

Quintus takes the bag of coins, nodding in thanks as well. My understanding is that we get a gold reward at the end of a PFS scenario, right?

He follows Kehl and Astyannax outside with a smirk. "Heh... not sure what kind of strategy discussion we need to decide where to go next. Just figure out what's closest and head there. Besides, I'd rather talk outside than in a stuffy old church."


wow, i cant believe i missed that. rerolling
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17

Grand Lodge

(HP 22/22 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +5 | R +5 | W +2 | Init +2 | Per +6) Male Human (Ijo) Ranger 2
Astyannax wrote:

Astyannax takes his bag and looks inside briefly. Seeing the shining coins, he closes it and tucks it away inside a pouch.

There will be time for counting later.

He looks at his companions. "We have three more tasks to complete. Let's pick one and then prepare for it a bit this time."

After the incident with the medicine box, he checks to make sure that he does not have the letter from the venture captain on him.

"Who has the letter?"

Dasiji accepts the bag from Ollysta with a courteous nod. At Asyannax's question, he pulls the letter out and bows, then puts it away. "As I was the first to take it, I was the last to receive it." That is not explicit, but I'm going to say it happened anyway. Hopefully Zavac will come back and roleplay some interaction with Ollysta.

Quintus Valorian wrote:

Quintus takes the bag of coins, nodding in thanks as well. My understanding is that we get a gold reward at the end of a PFS scenario, right?

He follows Kehl and Astyannax outside with a smirk. "Heh... not sure what kind of strategy discussion we need to decide where to go next. Just figure out what's closest and head there. Besides, I'd rather talk outside than in a stuffy old church."

Dasiji follows the others out, looking thoughtful. "I've changed my mind. After how things went with Zadrian, I think that it would be wise to put Dralneen before Salhar, to get some more experience before dealing with a potentially delicate situation. Well, they probably all are, but with Salhar it actually says so."

Letter Contents:
A man named Guaril Karela runs a curio shop in the Docks called the Pickled Imp. Go to him and fill his request as a favor to the Society. I believe it has something to do with a set of rare books.

Ollysta Zadrian requested aid and is expecting you at the Temple of the Shining Star in the Ascendant Court. She needs someone to deliver a parcel of medicine and curatives to a needy orphanage and verify the character of the recipient.

Visit the offices of Osirian nobleman Dremdhet Salhar in the Wise Quarter. The Pathfinder Society needs to obtain permission to delve the Salhar ancestral vaults beneath Sothis. He has made a verbal agreement, and your visit makes it official. You will receive an official charter and detailed maps. Do not embarrass the Society in this matter.

Chelish Paracountess Zarta Dralneen possesses an item loaned from the Vaults. Meet with her in her estate in the Ivy District and retrieve the item in her possession.

Noticing Kehl looking around, it occurs to Dasiji to look and see if any pretty girls are paying attention to them again. Perception: take ten for 16.

Grand Lodge

Male Human Cavalier (Order of the Star)/1

Astyanaxx takes the letter from Dasiji and reads it again.

A Chelish countess. This one will be tricky.

Sighs. Probably not any swordplay there, either.

He holds the letter out for anyone else to take.

Fine with me. Quintus, use your charms on the countess. Hopefully we can all stay inside this time.

What are we going to do if a child doesn't spill the beans for us?

Taldor

Male Human (Taldan) Bard 3

Quintus's eyes go wide and he grins nervously. "Heh... heh heh... old women running orphanages and Chelish countesses, uh, require quite different tactics. If you want to, you know, chime in or something, don't feel like you need to hold back. I might need all the help I can get."

Oh gods, what did I get myself into?

Sczarni

Male Human Rogue 1 (Knife Master archetype)

Kehl glances over the letter quickly.

"Ivy District? Paracountess?" he ponders these for a long moment.

Knowledge: Local - taking 10 for a result of 15


Perception DC 15:
The pretty girl with the red hair is nowhere to be seen, much to the Pathfinders' disappointment. There is, however, a blond woman with steely blue eyes and a smile on her red lips. She watches the Pathfinders from across a street as they make their way out of the temple. She wears a green, well-made silk dress in up-to-date fashion, with a black scarf draped around her shoulders. She smiles at those that spot her, but she is quickly lost in the hustle and bustle of the city.

The trip from the Ascendant Court to the Ivy District is longer than expected, but the worshipping throngs of the religious district soon fade. There are not many people walking the streets of the posh Ivy District, a place of beautiful gardens and manicured estates. Most of the district's inhabitants are visitors, whether seeking entertainment in the city's finest theaters and restaurants or working for the moneyed residents. They pass the Vault of Abadar, a polished obsidian temple to the god of cities and trade. It rests in the Ivy District instead of the Ascendant Court because the former is the wealthiest part of the city, allowing the Archbankers easy access to provide their moneylending services.

Paracountess Zarta Dralneen has several townhouses and villas scattered through Absalom (and is rumored to have massive estates in her native Cheliax). They arrive at her current residence, a magnificent gothic structure three stories in height. The ebon lacquered double doors wrought with gleaming silver fixtures greet the Pathfinders, a prickly brass cone hanging from a chain serving as the door chime. Moments after ringing it, a male, well-muscled manservant in loose casual attire opens the door, greeting them as if expected. "Good morning. My mistress is expecting you. She will answer any questions you have once we reach her quarters."

The athletic man leads them through the townhouse, which has well-appointed sitting rooms, ballrooms, and a grand stairway granting a view of an elaborate study. On the third floor of the opulent residence, they arrive at her personal study. The servant knocks on the door and announces his presence. "Mistress, your visitors have arrived." Without waiting for a response, he opens the darkly stained wooden door.

A large intricate carpet dominates the marble floor in this sitting room. A chaise sits along the north wall and a desk spans the southeast corner, its chair positioned with its back to the southwest corner of the room. Three comfortable chairs are positioned around a small, low circular table. Sitting in a chair behind the desk, Paracounted Zarta Dralneen regards the Pathfinders with a wry smile, putting away a few papers before starting to address them. She is a beautiful Chelish noblewoman with phenomonally expensive clothing, straight raven-black hair, and lips the color of dark wine. "Aldor, you are dismissed. Close the door behind you and attend to your other tasks." As he leaves, she turns her attention to the Pathfinders. "It's always so incredibly adorable when I see a fresh-faced batch of Pathfinders. I mean, look at you scrumptious little teacakes. I could eat each and every one of you up. Well, maybe not you two." She waves her fingers dismissively at the half-orcs.

"I assume this isn't a pleasure visit since most of you are terribly overdressed for that manner of occasion, so that must mean that you are here for that trinket that Valsin has been nagging me about. Seems I can't get that man around these parts anymore." She gestures as she speaks, sliding her hand down her body and widening the gesture to sweep out and across the room as if her home were a secondary thought. "On the good side, he always sends me all the precious new recruits. Many think we in Cheliax serve and worship devils, but that couldn't be farther than the truth. In fact, we use the creatures for their power. They serve us and we sculpt their power in our own interests. The world must come to terms with the order of things. People need to know their place and operate accordingly. It is the only way to make order from this world. Too many people stretch too far beyond their station, making waves and eroding the true order."

Taldor

Male Human (Taldan) Bard 3

Perception 1d20 ⇒ 16

"Hm?" Stepping out of the temple, something catches Quintus's eye over the crowd in the streets. "We seem to have attracted the attention of that woman again... I guess she's pretty, though blonde isn't really my style." Quintus smiles at the woman who he only assumes was the one watching them earlier and starts to head her way before losing her in the crowd. "Gah! Lost her again!"

He strides confidently through the streets of the Ivy Distrcit which remind him of the grand avenues of his native Oppara. But as they get closer to Dralneen's residence his confidence is slowly replaced with a feeling of unease. He'd never really considered having to try smooth-talking a devil worshipper.

Quintus's eyes widen in surprise, a bemused smile on his face, as the servant answers the door. Well hello... "Kindly lead the way, my goodman." He follows the servant to the Paracountess's quarters, a little too preoccupied to fully take in his surroundings.

When they meet Dralneen, Quintus spares a lingering glance at the servant before bowing to the Paracountess. Why does evil have to look so good? "Good day to you, Paracountess, and thank you for your kind words. I must admit, I had some reservations about coming here, but I assure you that those have dissipated upon seeing your beauty. My name is Quintus Valorian... you might have heard of my parents if you've spent any time at the theater in Oppara." Unlike at the orphanage, Quintus's smile is of honest interest here. "Your assumption is correct - this is not a pleasure visit, unfortunately." Why did I say that?! Focus, Quintus, focus! "We are here at the request of Venture-Captain Valsin to retrieve the trinket you mentioned."

Grand Lodge

(HP 22/22 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +5 | R +5 | W +2 | Init +2 | Per +6) Male Human (Ijo) Ranger 2

Dasiji smiles at the blonde, somewhat puzzled at Quintus's remark and the woman's behavior. "Hmm? No, the other was a redhead. What is this with women watching us and then disappearing? Is it an Absalom thing?"

He relaxes somewhat as they travel through the obviously wealthy part of town. Not much crime here, I'd bet. However, his expectations are set by the satirical entertainments that are common to a former colony, playing up the negative sides of the colonizer. He knows about the Chelish affinity for summoning devils, their brutal system of slavery, and their ruthless Hellknights... and that's about it. But it might be enough.

As they follow the manservant through the villa, Dasiji indulges his habit of observing details that others look right past. Take ten on Perception for 16. He ponders Zarta Dralneen's words. Wait, Valsin "always" sends new recruits? People knowing their place is the "only" way to make order? "Too many" make waves? I don't like the sound of this. He nods in approval at Quintus's final statement. "Yes, we're not just here on our own authority. If that's what you were getting at."

Grand Lodge

Male Human Cavalier (Order of the Star)/1

Perception 1d20 ⇒ 1

Astyannax, walking back outside, catches the edge of the door with his face. He squints as his eye waters and he doesn't notice anything around him.

"Aaah!"

He follows the group through the streets, rubbing his eye and blinking. It stops hurting just about the time he's walking through the halls of the paracountess' place.

Being an ambassador pays well.

He simply stares at her as she starts speaking, a bit overwhelmed at her dark beauty. Stunning. Devil worship works for her.

He mentally shrugs off the entrancement at that last thought. They betrayed all that Aroden stood for and gave their allegience to Asmodeus.

He frowns now as her words sink in. Actually biting on his tongue, he listens to Quintis and Dasiji without saying anything.

Sczarni

Male Human Rogue 1 (Knife Master archetype)

As Kehl trails the group through the city, he seems increasinly paranoid about being followed. He glances over his shoulder so often he nearly trips a half dozen times.

He relaxes only a little when they enter the townhouse, taking in the royal decour with greedy eyes.

As they speak with the woman, he keeps to the back, watching the woman intently, unsettled by her assumed infernal alliances and her obvious beauty.

I am out of my element here...


The Paracountess smirks at Quintus. "Does Oppara have a theatre? I suppose they must. I will have to send for your parents' company to play a true venue, perhaps here or in Egorian. Chelish theater is so cutting-edge these days. Perhaps you've heard of the Six Trials of Larazod? I would love to see it played by a Taldan company for their interpretation." She is interrupted by a titanic crash from the other side of the door behind her. She seems remarkably blase about the noise. "It seems that my servant is greatly misbehaving. It wants the trinket so badly. I don't think that it will have any success, but it helps show my servant that the status quo is that way for a reason. Perhaps you lot can be some assistance. Kreuvus is in dire need of some punishment for its behavior, and I am in not in a disciplining mood." Her smirk returns and she winks at Quintus. "Some spanking may be in order, though."

Grand Lodge

Male Human Cavalier (Order of the Star)/1

Astyannax, who had seen very few plays growing up in Oppara, is not interested in the conversation. But he is startled by the loud noise and takes a half step forward, then stops.

What in Aroden's name?

Servant? Trinket? Punishment? Why in the world are we here?

[ooc]Diplomancy] 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17

"Paracountess, what exactly is it that you wish us to do? Is there some foul beast in that room?"

His hand rests on the hilt of his longsword, wondering how she can be so blase at the commotion behind her.

Grand Lodge

Male Human Cavalier (Order of the Star)/1

Astyannax, who had seen very few plays growing up in Oppara, is not interested in the conversation. But he is startled by the loud noise and takes a half step forward, then stops.

What in Aroden's name?

Servant? Trinket? Punishment? Why in the world are we here?

Diplomancy 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17

"Paracountess, what exactly is it that you wish us to do? Is there some foul beast in that room?"

His hand rests on the hilt of his longsword, wondering how she can be so blase at the commotion behind her.


She responds quickly to Astyannax's question. "I suppose Kreuvus is a bit crude, little more than a minor trinket much like the chest that it covets. We have access to such mighty servants, but also to the lesser ones. It is an imp, summoned from Hell to give advice." She opens up a drawer and pulls out a letter opener, placing it on the desk in front of her. "You may want this to properly discipline it. Oh, how it hates silver!"

Looks like you double-posted!

Grand Lodge

Male Human Cavalier (Order of the Star)/1

He takes the letter opener with a firm grasp.

"An imp? And can we hurt it? If so, how much?"

Gods. I'm about to swat an imp with a letter opener near a Cheliaxian whore. Is this what being a Pathfinder is about?"

He looks at his companions, questioningly, hands out in a "what now?" gesture.

Grand Lodge

(HP 22/22 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +5 | R +5 | W +2 | Init +2 | Per +6) Male Human (Ijo) Ranger 2

Dasiji looks thoughtful while Astyannax responds. So imps hate silver... I should really replace my hidden dagger with a silver one.

"Begging your pardon, Paracountess, but I'd rather say the wrong thing than do it." Despite his words, Dasiji speaks carefully and uses her title on purpose, since Zarta Dralneen emphasized the importance of position.

"I gather that we may go through that door, where there's an imp that sounds much bigger and stronger than what I thought they were like. There, we may 'punish' it with your letter opener and whatever else works, until it stops being in our way. Then, we will find a chest that belongs to the Pathfinder Society, give you back your letter opener, and leave with the chest.

"Is that right? And taking my friend's question to the limit," gesturing at Astyannax, "what would happen if we accidentally 'punished' your servant to death? I don't know how sturdy imps are."

Taldor

Male Human (Taldan) Bard 3

Spanked by a paracountess, now that would be a first. And, as you say, 'try everything once,'... wait, what? What am I thinking?! Quintus wrests his thoughts from places they really shouldn't be going, especially with a task at hand. "*Ahem* We'd be glad to oblige and dispense with the... discipline... if necessary to retrieve the Venture-Captain's requested item from this 'servant.' Though, will one letter opener be sufficient?"

Quintus thinks back on his lessons at the College to see if he recalls any mention of imps in the works he studied. Knowledge (planes) 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11


A knock sounds at the door, followed quickly by the muscular manservant coming through. "I apologize for the interruption, but this just came for you." He hands a pair of envelopes with the Pathfinder Society seal to Zavac and Garauk. The half-orcs both read the envelopes over, then turn to the other Pathfinders.

Zavac speaks for both of them. "Our apologies, but we have been called back to the Society headquarters for a brief meeting. I hope that we will see you again soon." With that, he gestures for the servant to lead them out.

The servant bows low to the Paracountess. "Again, I apologize for my interruption. Please punish me however you see fit for my worthlessness." She smirks at him with a knowing glance as he leads the half-orcs out.

If the players return, we can re-integrate them back in. If not, that happens sometimes in PBP.


With the others gone, Paracountess Dralneen responds to Dasiji's question. "These things happen, sometimes. If it is not intelligent enough to survive on its own merits, how deserving is it?" She starts collecting her papers. "I expect a terrible racket, so I'll leave you all to it. Feel free to let yourself out when you're done. Keep the letter opener." She sidles out, swaying her hips as she walks.

Quintus:
You know that imps are tiny flying devils.

With a bit of trepidation, the remaining Pathfinders push the door open. Sure enough, the imp has strewn items about everywhere. It picks up a box as large as itself and flings it into the wall with a scream of frustration. It doesn't seem to notice the Pathfinders, and seems so focused on whatever is in the chest that he does not bother to pay them any attention.

The ground is entirely difficult terrain because of the mess on the floor. The dark red square is her bed. The red behind the PCs is a carpet.

Map

Taldor

Male Human (Taldan) Bard 3

If possible, I'd like to cast message before opening the door. The stuff below assumes that I can. :P

"...and ye hear my words..." Quintus quotes from an ancient text, pointing to Astyannax, Dasiji, and Kehl. "So we can plan better, eh, Astyannax?" His voice is just a whisper, but you can hear it as if he spoke directly in your ear.

After opening the door, you hear Quintus's voice again, "I'm not sure how much I can be of help fighting this thing. Perhaps I can inspire you with some rousing verses? Just let me know when."

Grand Lodge

(HP 22/22 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +5 | R +5 | W +2 | Init +2 | Per +6) Male Human (Ijo) Ranger 2

"Indeed," Dasiji murmurs as he watches Zarta's hips sway. Like the head of a king cobra... He shakes his head vigorously, as if to clear it of dangerous thoughts. When she's gone, he smirks at the rest and adds, "And sometimes these things happen 'accidentally' on purpose."

Leaving his javelin in its place, he pulls out his trident and tests its heft, since he'll probably only get one chance to throw something indoors. "How's this for a plan? I hit the imp hard and tell it to stay out of our way or there's more where that came from. Then if it says no, we teach it to death that it should've said yes. Sound good?"

Grand Lodge

Male Human Cavalier (Order of the Star)/1

Astyannax looks at the wreckage of the room and then the frustrated imp.

I don't think we were ready to open the door yet, but we'll go forward

Speaking sideways to Dasiji without taking his eyes off the imp, "Should we try talking first? But if you throw, I'll back it."

Did she specifically tell us what the trinket was, or where it is?

He thinks. No. Chelaxians!

Must be whatever is in the chest. I wish we could work things out before we just rush ahead!!!


The imp looks over at them briefly and screeches at them in a shrill voice. "Go away! The hood is mine! Go! Shoo!" It picks the chest up again and flings it to the ground with a demented howl of frustration. It either doesn't notice or doesn't care that the Pathfinders bear weapons.

Sczarni

Male Human Rogue 1 (Knife Master archetype)

Kehl grips daggers in both hands, poised behind Dasiji.

"Talk or fight, but decide quickly." he whispers.

Demons on the first day. Maybe the Sczarni aren't so bad. he muses.

Grand Lodge

(HP 22/22 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +5 | R +5 | W +2 | Init +2 | Per +6) Male Human (Ijo) Ranger 2

Presented with the spectacle of a demented imp, Dasiji is given pause, long enough for it to speak... not that it makes a difference. He stretches out his body at an angle away from the imp, trident held straight back, then makes a little slide forward while swinging his arm and leaning into it, putting his whole body into it and releasing just as he stops his slide...

5' step forward (away from Kehl), then Deadly Aim attack with trident: 1d20 + 4 - 1 ⇒ (1) + 4 - 1 = 4 for 1d8 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 + 2 = 5 damage Miss

The trident slams into the wall, nowhere near the imp. Dasiji blinks at his horrible throw, then decides to run with it. "That was for your attention. Let us take what belongs to our Society, or we'll take it anyway but with more pain for you." Swiftly drawing his long lucerne hammer while speaking, Dasiji holds it at the ready.


The imp looks over at them, irritation on its tiny diabolic face. "Watch where you throw that thing!" It flies down to the chest on its batlike wings and starts trying to pry it open with its bare hands. "Gyahh!"

GM Rolls:

Astynax 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13
Dasiji 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22
Imp 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22
Kehl 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23
Quintus 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19

Initiative
23 Kehl
22 Dasiji
22 Imp
19 Quintus
13 Astyannax

Imp: 16/16 Hp; 17AC/16T/13FF; +1F/+6F/+4W; DR 5/silver or good; immune fire, poison; resist cold 10, acid 10

Grand Lodge

(HP 22/22 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +5 | R +5 | W +2 | Init +2 | Per +6) Male Human (Ijo) Ranger 2

After Kehl:
The last thing that Dasiji expected was to be essentially ignored. "Huh." He blinks again, surprised for the second time in a dozen seconds. "Okay." He puts his lucerne hammer away, swiftly draws and throws his javelin in a single action -- once more putting his whole body into it -- and then draws his long polearm again.

Quick Draw/Deadly Aim attack with javelin: 1d20 + 4 - 1 ⇒ (19) + 4 - 1 = 22 for 1d6 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 + 2 = 5 damage Hit (except for DR)

"Now as I was saying, we're going to take what's ours, one way or another."

Grand Lodge

(HP 22/22 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +5 | R +5 | W +2 | Init +2 | Per +6) Male Human (Ijo) Ranger 2

Formalities for the prior post:
Round 1, Initiative 22
hp 12/12; 16AC/13T/13F; +4F/+5R/+2W

MA: Sheathe lucerne hammer
FA: Draw javelin
SA: Deadly Aim Attack, Javelin vs. Imp
1d20 + 4 - 2 => (19) + 4 - 1 = 22
-> Damage 1d6 + 2 + 2 => (1) + 2 + 2 = 5
FA: Draw lucerne hammer

Sczarni

Male Human Rogue 1 (Knife Master archetype)

Kehl moves to the foot of the bed, daggers out in front of him, ready to defend himself.

"You are outnumbered, devil. Desist and your lady will spare you her wrath."
Intimidate check to demoralize, standard action: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21


Remember to follow the format I posted in the OOC thread._


Round 1, Initiative 23
Imp: 16/16 Hp; 17AC/16T/13FF; +1F/+6F/+4W;
DR 5/silver or good; immune fire, poison; resist cold 10, acid 10

SA: invisibility SLA
MA: Move

The imp screeches and its eyes widen with surprise and fear at Kehl's threat. (Dasiji wonders to himself why it seems to continue to ignore his thrown weapons, especially after the javelin glances off the imp with not a scratch.) It makes a quick motion and fades from view right in front of their eyes, turning invisible with the use of magic.

Perception DC 30:

Stealth 1d20 + 23 ⇒ (7) + 23 = 30
The imp has flown over on top of the shredded bed, where it hovers very quietly.

Quintus is up, then Astyannax, then back to the top! Stay in Initiative order, please!

Taldor

Male Human (Taldan) Bard 3

Round 1, Initiative 19
hp 10/10; 16AC/12T/14FF; +1F/+4R/+2W
7/7 Bardic performance

SA: Begin bardic performance - inspire courage
MA: Draw rapier

Quintus draws his rapier, pointing it at where the imp used to be. "Draw arms, men, in honorable defense! The armies of our foes draw near!" He begins to recite an ancient Taldan battle epic, lifting your spirits and strengthening your resolve. (+1 to attack and damage rolls!)

Grand Lodge

Male Human Cavalier (Order of the Star)/1

Astyannax is watching the imp, then suddenly he's not, as it disappears.

By Shelyn's...

Round 1, Initiatve 13
hp 12/12; 19AC/12T/17FF;+3F/+2R/+1W

Holding the letter opener in front of him like a dagger, but not threatening with it. "Imp? Hello? Please excuse my hasty companions. We were led to believe there was a brutish beast in here, not an intelligent devil. Your pardon."

Diplomacy check as SA 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10

Shakes his head a little. Yet again, if we had TALKED about a plan first. Maybe one of us can grab that box it's throwing around.

Grand Lodge

Male Human Cavalier (Order of the Star)/1

Since nobody has posted in awhile..

Astyannax looks at his companions to see who is closest to the box which the imp is fixated on.

Sczarni

Male Human Rogue 1 (Knife Master archetype)

Please let me know if I can complete this entire action in one turn, otherwise Kehl will just grab the blanket off the bed.

Round 2, Initiative 23
hp 9/9; 16AC/14T/12T; +1F/+6R/+0W
Bardic Performance

FA: Kehl drops his daggers, then
SwA: Grabs the blanket from the bed behind him, and holds it out infront of thim.
MA: Kelh closes on the spot the Imp had been previously,
SA: Using the blanket, Kehl attempts to wrap the imp up in the cloth.
Grapple check I guess?1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17

Grand Lodge

Male Human Cavalier (Order of the Star)/1

So much for talking.
"Bard. Do you have any powders or such?

Taldor

Male Human (Taldan) Bard 3

"Powders? Haha! What do you think I am, an onnagata from Minkai?"


Imp's Acrobatics 1d20 + 9 - 2 ⇒ (10) + 9 - 2 = 17
Kehl's Perception
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20

As Kehl gathers the sheets together, he notices a faint flutter on the air as the imp tries to avoid being caught in the linens. With a shout, the rogue throws the gathered crimson-and-black sheets (of such luxurious quality that they would likely be illegal in some countries) across the bed. The imp yelps in surprise, not expecting to be seen. As Kehl tries to wrestle the sheets closed, it tries its best to wrench itself free.

It is Dasiji's turn. The imp is still invisible, but it's clear (more or less) where it is. Treat it as if it has concealment (20%).

Grand Lodge

(HP 22/22 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +5 | R +5 | W +2 | Init +2 | Per +6) Male Human (Ijo) Ranger 2

Round 2, Initiative 22
hp 12/12; 16AC/13T/13F; +4F/+5R/+2W

Perception 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20 to spot any hoods in the messy room.
Sense Motive 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9 to discern if the chest is actually what they were supposed to get.

Dasiji has a thought, following on thoughts he had before. It's so much tougher than I expected. Valsin wouldn't "always" send new recruits to someone who would get them killed; what if they're deceived instead? He looks around the room for any other hoods that the imp might've actually been referring to.

Dasiji begins the round one square to the left of where he's shown on the last map, due to a previous 5' step (that was actually a move action in the difficult terrain, oops).
FA: Drops his backpack to increase his speed to 30'.
MA: Moves 15' toward the chest through the difficult terrain of the messy room.
MA: Either picks up the chest (if he can reach it) or takes another move to stand over it (not sure where it is).
FA: Speech (brief).

Dasiji's eyes get big at the imp's casual display of powerful magic, and then watches with slowly dawning comprehension as Kehl throws a sheet over empty air and struggles with it like a comical mime. Ah. So it didn't teleport; it just turned invisible. "Well done, Kehl!"

Abandoning his futile attempts to hurt the resilient imp, Dasiji takes advantage of Kehl restraining it to go for the little chest that it had been throwing around and trying to open. He shrugs his backpack off and to the ground to make it easier for him to pick his way across the debris field left by the imp's temper tantrum, then airs his suspicions while approaching the chest.

"Can you see what's magic in here, Quintus? Wouldn't want to get fooled!"


Round 2, Initiative 22
Imp: 16/16 Hp; 15AC/14T/13FF; -1F/+6F/+4W;
DR 5/silver or good; immune fire, poison; resist cold 10, acid 10

Escape Artist 1d20 + 3 - 2 ⇒ (8) + 3 - 2 = 9

The imp wiggles and screeches as it tries to get away from Kehl, who grabs and pulls it. The rogue successfully maintains its hold on the slippery devil, who is cursing rapidly in Infernal. Its sharp tail rips through the sheets at several points, but not far enough to put Kehl at risk of being pricked.

As Dasiji nears the chest, he sees it to be a simple iron case. It is dented from the imp trying to smash it, but seems hardly the worse for wear. The only unusual thing about it, at least to the naked eye, is that it appears to have seven locks rather than one. Three of them are actually placed on a crease as a normal lock, whereas the other four are symmetrically placed on the center of each of the four sides of the chest (with none on top and bottom). He picks it up, finding it to be of normal weight and heft for a similarly sized chest.

Map is updated!

Grand Lodge

Male Human Cavalier (Order of the Star)/1

Astyannax watches Kehl wrestling with a blanket and sees Dasiji approach the chest.

Waiting for my turn after Quintus

Sczarni

Male Human Rogue 1 (Knife Master archetype)

Will the imp fit in the chest? or a drawer or a closet or something?

Taldor

Male Human (Taldan) Bard 3

Round 2, Initiative 19
hp 10/10; 16AC/12T/14FF; +1F/+4R/+2W
6/7 Bardic Performance

SA: Cast detect magic
FA: Maintain inspire courage

Seeing that Dasiji's trident has no effect on the imp, Quintus holds back on attacking with his rapier. He finishes a stanza of the battle epic before responding to the ranger. "Magic? I can check. Why do we want to know if it's magic? And what about this imp?"

Quintus turns to the chest and speaks briefly in Kelish, casting detect magic.

Grand Lodge

Male Human Cavalier (Order of the Star)/1

Round 1, Initiatve 13
hp 12/12; 19AC/12T/17FF;+3F/+2R/+1W

MA:15' ahead (North on map) to stop next to imp on bed, diagonal right to Kehl

SA: Speech

Seeing that the imp is caught up in the blanket but is desperately trying to tear its way out, Astyannax rushes forward, just past Kehl, and stops, giving himself an angle to stab with the letter opener at the covered imp.

He yells to be heard over Quintus' singing.

"Dasij, grab the chest and get out! Quintus, follow him. Kehl, after they're out, throw that thing in the corner. I'll cover with the letter opener!"

I can't believe I just said I'd hold off a devil with a letter opener!

Taldor

Male Human (Taldan) Bard 3
Astyannax wrote:
He yells to be heard over Quintus' singing.

Psh! Only no-talent half-wits stoop so low as to add uninspired tunes to great prose! I am an actor!

Grand Lodge

(HP 22/22 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +5 | R +5 | W +2 | Init +2 | Per +6) Male Human (Ijo) Ranger 2
Quintus Valorian wrote:
Seeing that Dasiji's trident has no effect on the imp, Quintus holds back on attacking with his rapier. He finishes a stanza of the battle epic before responding to the ranger. "Magic? I can check. Why do we want to know if it's magic? And what about this imp?"

"To see if it's not what we came for, since you're not the only one who can act." Dasiji winks at Quintus to show that he's only teasing a little with his tongue-in-cheek response.

101 to 150 of 428 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Barcas - First Steps (PFS) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.