Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Curse of the Crimson Throne

Game Master Euan


351 to 400 of 11,585 << first < prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | next > last >>

Male Human (Per +18 | Fort +12 Ref +16 Will +12 | AC 24 (f 19/t 17)| CMD 30/f 25)

"Be careful, the blood. Let it drip to the waters below. We want nothing here to cry black business." Barael slips the orphan's kukri from his belt, drapes one of Lamm's arms over the hole, and slashes from armpit to wrist. "The throne is empty."

Barael heads out to the end of the dock, looks around to assure himself he has no audience, and throws the kukri into the deeper waters of the Jeggare.


half-elf
today's stuff, various:
Saves: ------------- HP: 96 Fort:12 Ref:15 Will:10 AC: 24 T:24 FL:14 Mutagen: Dex/Wis, lasts 20 minutes

"Is it time, then?"Uncoiling from her spot in the corner, Dandi stalks towards the monster of her nightmares. I didn't wanna go. You shouldn't have...shouldn't have.... shouldn't have....but you did.
.
.
.
"...judgment is at hand" She kneels beside the man, looking one last time at his ancient face. When the others are in place, her hand wavers on her dagger, her fingers itching for something darker, something more, something that will hurt nearly as much as she did. With nothing like that on hand, she settles for what is, carving a long dark line down Lamm's throat.


Elf:
HP:113/113 AC: 21 (f17/t16)): K(Arc) +17, K(His) +7, K(Pl) +20, K(Rel) +20, Per +24, Sense +12, Spllcft +24/26

Briar looks at the waif give a second smile...all across Lamm's throat.

Well, I guess there is nothing for me to do.

Somberly, Briar puts his bow away and begins to round up items of value and covers up the hatbox of gore.

"No use letting this stuff go to waste. I'm going to go search around upstairs and check on our prisoners before searching them. Then to go tell Zellara that we've avenged her dopplegangers death. That will be a hardly laugh, no doubt."


half-elf
today's stuff, various:
Saves: ------------- HP: 96 Fort:12 Ref:15 Will:10 AC: 24 T:24 FL:14 Mutagen: Dex/Wis, lasts 20 minutes

Dandi looks up, blood on her hands and shock on her face, "The prisoners. I forgot all about them. W-what are we gonna do with them?" Not this, Desna's Stars! they don't deserve this. Even Giggles....


Male Human (PER +6 | FORT+15 REF+9 WILL+11 | AC 26 (F24, T14) CMD28)

Nikolay stands with his dagger in his hand as the others kill Lamm before he can act. He then tosses Lamm to the alligator. "The throne is empty."

Nikolay turns to Dandi.

"I know nothing of the prisoners. They are not as notorious as Lamm. I suspect they are mereley his guard dogs. You wouldn't kill a hound for protecting its master. It knows no better. Perhaps we will cross paths with them again and at that time a more permanent solution will be needed. For now, I would leave them be."

Nikolay then joins in searching the place. "There may be more clues as to the extent of Lamm's evil. And perhaps, more that can be saved other than Laura."


Gaedren Lamm gurgles his last breath choking on his own blood before being pushed over the side. His pet shows his loyalty by consuming Lamm quickly and cleanly before settling down for a nice after supper nap.

As the party goes out to climb the rope ladder (you can take 10 now so with a DC 7 I think everyone makes it though the girl will need help as she's a little weak from hunger and thirst) you definitely hear the sounds of... something coming from the city.

You go upstairs into the main salesroom of the fishery and though it's been nearly an hour, your subjugate victims are still lying prostrate. You loot them to find they didn't have much, but they did have a few items.

Giggles had studded leather armor, light shield, and a flail. Yargin (the fop) had a few more items including a wand, 3 flasks of acid, 2 tanglefoot bags, leather armor, a dagger, a light crossbow with 10 bolts, and a garnet amulet worth 150gp. Some of those things will be found in his chamber as he didn't have time to fully gear up.

Please feel free to divvy up the gear and check the treasure sheet found here.

Oh, and please check the OOC thread.


Male Human (Per +18 | Fort +12 Ref +16 Will +12 | AC 24 (f 19/t 17)| CMD 30/f 25)

Barael returns, and squats to the edge of the hole, and supervises the digestion of Lamm. By the time this is done, let's see Lamm's "smile", "sleeve", and "stomachache" all disappear from recognition.

"We've not been on the deck of the ship docked here. One last scouring before we depart?" Barael stands up, stretches his legs, then resumes the squatting position, intent the alligator should finish its meal.

"I agree with Nikolay. We took no prisoners tonight. We only made sure they came to no harm while we cut a cancer from Korvosa."

Do we discuss the loots here or on the ooc thread?


half-elf
today's stuff, various:
Saves: ------------- HP: 96 Fort:12 Ref:15 Will:10 AC: 24 T:24 FL:14 Mutagen: Dex/Wis, lasts 20 minutes
Nikolay Vasilevich wrote:

Nikolay stands with his dagger in his hand as the others kill Lamm before he can act. He then tosses Lamm to the alligator. "The throne is empty."

Nikolay turns to Dandi.

"I know nothing of the prisoners. They are not as notorious as Lamm. I suspect they are mereley his guard dogs. You wouldn't kill a hound for protecting its master. It knows no better. Perhaps we will cross paths with them again and at that time a more permanent solution will be needed. For now, I would leave them be."

Nikolay then joins in searching the place. "There may be more clues as to the extent of Lamm's evil. And perhaps, more that can be saved other than Laura."

Nodding as he speaks, she looks once more at her hands, then at Nikolay. "That sounds...wise."


Male Human (Init +6 | Per +15 | Fort +16 Ref +15 Will +11* +1 enchant, +4 language & sonic | AC 31 (f25/t18) | CMD34*)

"Let us release the boy upstairs. No doubt he was A victim of Lamm, as well. And yes, Barael, why not search the boat. There could be young ones there." He looks older at the moment. Drained and serious, his charm-or all gone.


Male Human (Per +18 | Fort +12 Ref +16 Will +12 | AC 24 (f 19/t 17)| CMD 30/f 25)

Barael nods to Fondo, and heads up the rope ladder. Sleep, I could use that about now. Could also use a little smell of bacon grease and cornmeal creeping into my bedroom.

Barael makes the shortest way to the eastern door. Move to M-13

Acrobatics 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19 (+4 on top of that if level 2, and now a class skill)

Attempting to access the top deck of the ship, Barael makes sure his rapier is within easy grasp.


Barael - if you remember that door is boarded up - you'll need to leave from the front. Right now the party is in the front of the fishery inside pouring over the bodies and looting. I don't want to get to much farther along until folks have had a chance to claim items.

We'll proceed after folks have leveled... but you can keep that roll if the party still goes down that dock.


Male Human (Per +18 | Fort +12 Ref +16 Will +12 | AC 24 (f 19/t 17)| CMD 30/f 25)

Didn't remember it being boarded up. And would love to keep that roll :)

Barael holds one of the vials up to the light. How the big can fall to the touch of the small.


Elf:
HP:113/113 AC: 21 (f17/t16)): K(Arc) +17, K(His) +7, K(Pl) +20, K(Rel) +20, Per +24, Sense +12, Spllcft +24/26

Briar, feeling strangely elevated, is happy aid in whatever the party wants to do next.

When it is decided, Briar will ready his bow.


Male Human (PER +6 | FORT+15 REF+9 WILL+11 | AC 26 (F24, T14) CMD28)

Nikolay's eyes brighten as this morning's studies suddenly come to fruition. He casts detect magic on the wands and tries to figure out the wands.

1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16 - Failed Spellcraft on Obsidian wand
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12 - Failed Spellcraft on Acid stained darkwood wand

"I'm afraid I will need a bit more time to figure out these wands. I will examine them again tomorrow."


When you cast detect magic, you also find that the harrow deck, Gaedren's ring, and the oil all detect as magic.

Oh and you do ID the Obsidian wand (15+Caster Level, and in this cast the caster level is in fact 1 - right?). The Obsidian Wand is a wand of magic missiles with 23 charges remaining.


Male Human (Per +18 | Fort +12 Ref +16 Will +12 | AC 24 (f 19/t 17)| CMD 30/f 25)

Barael's step seems lighter, and his shoulders have lost their slouch. Seems a weight has been lifted. He continues to study the clarity of the venom in the torchlight.


Male Human (PER +6 | FORT+15 REF+9 WILL+11 | AC 26 (F24, T14) CMD28)
DM_Euan wrote:

When you cast detect magic, you also find that the harrow deck, Gaedren's ring, and the oil all detect as magic.

1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26 - harrow deck

1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20 - Gaedren's ring
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13 - oil

Nikolay is pleasantly surprised to see that more than the wands eminate magic. He picks up the items and tries for a better understanding of these items.


You're not sure about the harrow deck, but it is certainly magical. I will give you that it has the ability to identify magical items (as the spell), but drawing a card and touching it to the item.

The ring is a Ring of Sustenance. You still don't know what the oil is.


Male Human (Init +6 | Per +15 | Fort +16 Ref +15 Will +11* +1 enchant, +4 language & sonic | AC 31 (f25/t18) | CMD34*)

Fondo keeps the harrow deck on his person, but readily shows it to Nikolay as he is studying the different items.

A thought comes to him, unbidden. Words from his grandmother? Or from something else...? The cards must remain together. To do otherwise would be to a desecration.

He repeats the thought aloud. "The cards must remain together. It is the way." He looks at anyone who may have reclaimed the card originally given them, and (hopefully) returns the cards to the deck.

Fondo remembers back to his many evenings at his grandmother's knee, before he became a man and did the things a man does. He would listen to her speak the arcane words. Watch her lay out the cards. Hear her read their pronouncements.

The cards are mókado. They must be cleaned.

Fondo takes out the cards and a string of words come unbidden from those long ago evenings. His fingers mimic the gestures he had watched.

Arcane spell failure check to cast Prestidigitation 1d100 ⇒ 14

Again. The armor impedes the gesture.

Arcane spell failure check to cast Prestidigitation 1d100 ⇒ 59

He says the words again, the gestures a bit more clear now. Grime and gore begin to clear away from the cards' faces.

"I am sorry. I need a few moments." Disregarding his smelly surroundings and the commotion in the streets outside, Fondo sorts, shuffles and arranges the cards.

First he pulls one card. 1d6 ⇒ 11d9 ⇒ 2 The Cricket. Fate speed my mind and limbs today. This is his Harrowed feat card for the day — +2 to a Dex-based check once today.

He then lays out a further reading. The images knit together into a story of the coming hours. He puzzles over what they mean.

After a few minutes, he looks up from his reverie. "Thank you for your patience. I'm ready." He gathers the cards together into a fresh, clean scarf.


half-elf
today's stuff, various:
Saves: ------------- HP: 96 Fort:12 Ref:15 Will:10 AC: 24 T:24 FL:14 Mutagen: Dex/Wis, lasts 20 minutes

" Here, let me see that, Nikolay? I've got a knack for such things..." Taking the oil (if handed her way), Dandilion studies it for a moment, holding the vial up to the light, sniffing it, and even dips a tip of her finger in to taste it.

spellcraft to identify: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25


Male Human (Init +6 | Per +15 | Fort +16 Ref +15 Will +11* +1 enchant, +4 language & sonic | AC 31 (f25/t18) | CMD34*)

After Nikolay explains the other function of the cards (much less important than their true, sacred purpose), Fondo touches a card to the unidentified wand. He then flips the card up.

Identifying said wand... 1d20 + 6 + 10 ⇒ (11) + 6 + 10 = 27


Male Human (Per +18 | Fort +12 Ref +16 Will +12 | AC 24 (f 19/t 17)| CMD 30/f 25)

"If it's the way, then you go on and keep my card." Barael squirrels away the vial, and hovers over Fondo, watching the shuffling and the ceremony. Barael physically pokes Fondo with a finger, hard enough to assure him.

"You... understand the cards? Like, they're talking to you, or are you like one of them people who look at paintings and understand what the artist was trying to say? Anyways, could you tell me what my card was trying to say, the Locksmith?"

These folks here. They are blessed, are they not, Aroden? They can magick. Wonder what else they can do.


The oil is an oil of Oil of Keen Edges. The wand is a wand of Acid Splash (28 charges remaining).


Let us proceed...

As you walk out onto the street to head over to the walkway, it is clear that something terrible has happened. Korvosa is going crazy. There is the glow of flames coming from Old Korvosa to the north. The frantic clang of alarm bells sing out in harmony with a cacophony of screams, the clash of steel on steel, moans, and even the periodic detonation of arcane power.

A wing of Sable Company griffon riders swoops overhead, angling toward Castle Korvosa at a breakneck pace. One of the badly wounded mounts rains blood down on the streets around you before it succumbs and crashes headlong into a statue, taking its rider and itself to a bone crunching demise. The others in the flight do not pause to check on their fallen ally.

Amid the chaos, the voice of a Korvosan herald cuts through the din, "The King is dead! Long live the Queen!". You can also hear ragged cries of "Hang the Queen!" and "The usurper whore must die!". Though an alleyway, you even spot a contingent of hellknights clad in dark iron armor and horned helms pursuing a small gang of looters. The city has gone mad.

It's 2am. Do you still want to check out the old boat in back?


Male Human (Init +6 | Per +15 | Fort +16 Ref +15 Will +11* +1 enchant, +4 language & sonic | AC 31 (f25/t18) | CMD34*)

"The Locksmith? Why you see the results around you here. It was you who unlocked the secret of Zellara's fate. Will the card continue to bear meaning for you? I cannot say. Only the cards, together can."


Male Human (Per +18 | Fort +12 Ref +16 Will +12 | AC 24 (f 19/t 17)| CMD 30/f 25)

Barael nods with raised eyebrows, respect for newly spoken insight.

Upon exiting the fishery, and witnessing the hellscape, Barael turns away, and towards the walkway. No stone left unturned this night. If Lamm has left anyone pinned on that boat, they'll know their freedom as I know my own.

Acrobatics 24 (Previous roll, adjusted)


Elf:
HP:113/113 AC: 21 (f17/t16)): K(Arc) +17, K(His) +7, K(Pl) +20, K(Rel) +20, Per +24, Sense +12, Spllcft +24/26

Briar surveys the chaos with increasing dis-calm.

"Forget the boat! The city has gone mad and the answers we seek are back at Zellara's."

Briar carries the hatbox away from his body, trying to keep the stench away from his nose.

"Zellara's might also provide safe haven until the chaos passes."


Male Human (Per +18 | Fort +12 Ref +16 Will +12 | AC 24 (f 19/t 17)| CMD 30/f 25)

"...if the intent is safety this morn, I will defer. I'm not leaving the pack we've formed, and if you're taking off to Zellara's, I'll keep up." Barael walks up alongside Briar, while scanning the alleyways. His attention still wanders to the walkway.

Perception 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14

"You feel safe, carrying that box, while returning to the apartment of the late owner?"


Elf:
HP:113/113 AC: 21 (f17/t16)): K(Arc) +17, K(His) +7, K(Pl) +20, K(Rel) +20, Per +24, Sense +12, Spllcft +24/26

"Apprently so...I hadn't thought much about it. Perhaps Zellara can give her twin a proper burial, Burial."

Briar also tries to keep his eyes open for chaos...riots can be riotous.

1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22 Perception


Male Human (PER +6 | FORT+15 REF+9 WILL+11 | AC 26 (F24, T14) CMD28)

Nikolay casts prestidigitation on his peacock card before handing it Fondo.

"May you use it well."

----
"The King is dead! Long live the Queen!"

"The throne is empty."

Nikolay pauses to take in the chaos and grasp at the world around him. He struggles to apply his knowledge of the arcane and the martial world to the events of the night. The obvious involvement of spirits is a bit outside his realm of expertise.

Do I head to the guard? To the academy? To 'home'?

"Great powers are at play tonight and we have become the sword of at least one of them. I have no obligations in this city anymore, but still care for her. I would see where the powers would lead us. So far they have helped us to vengeance and freedom for an innocent."

"Barael is right. We must check the boat before we depart. After that, I would be interested in returning to Zellara's in the hopes of further revelations."


Male Human (Init +6 | Per +15 | Fort +16 Ref +15 Will +11* +1 enchant, +4 language & sonic | AC 31 (f25/t18) | CMD34*)

"Have you not experienced hauntings before, Púrokako Briar? I do not think we met her twin. Rather, her shade. But... We shall see anon."

Fondo waits to see where the party will agree to go. While he waits, he practices other dimly remembered magics. b]"Deram muri drom."[/b] 1d100 ⇒ 11 His initial attempt fails, but he tries again.1d100 ⇒ 83

Light pours out of his buckler, adding to that of the other party members.

Hearing NIkolay's support for Barael, he nods. "Púrokako (my best guess for the Romani term for 'granduncle'), there may be children kept in the hold of the boat. We should ensure all of Lamm's victims have been freed."


A little DMPC to help decision making...

As Barael steps lightly on the dock it is clear to him that none have stepped on it in some time, maybe years. In addition to being slick, the boards crumble beneath his feat. He quickly steps back.

Barael may be able to cross to the ship, and maybe even back again, but it's unlikely anyone as unspry as Gaedren and his assistants have done so.


Male Human (PER +6 | FORT+15 REF+9 WILL+11 | AC 26 (F24, T14) CMD28)

Only concerned for the children. Fine with missing loot. On to Zellara's.


Male Human (Per +18 | Fort +12 Ref +16 Will +12 | AC 24 (f 19/t 17)| CMD 30/f 25)

Years? Done. Not gonna walk down that dry branch.

"Can you run, little girl? Laura, is it? Try to keep up, but if you need one of us to carry you, say the word." Barael looks at each person, putting his hand on the pommel of his rapier. "If we move, let us move quietly, with every eye to our flanks. Won't do to attract attention for our size if the soldiers see us as a threat."

Stealth 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26


Male Human (Init +6 | Per +15 | Fort +16 Ref +15 Will +11* +1 enchant, +4 language & sonic | AC 31 (f25/t18) | CMD34*)

"Agreed, Barael. Lorah, will you walk with me, jel'enedra (little sister)?"

Fondo dispels his light and, if she is willing, takes the girl under his protective wing. His bucklered right arm clasps her right shoulder gently, his thumb holding his cloak as a drape to conceal her. His sword arm rests on the hilt of his rapier as the party proceeds to Zellara's.


DM rolls:
1d10 ⇒ 10

The party moves slowly (stealth requires half speed and the child, hungry and tired, is moving at about the same speed and struggling to keep up) toward Zellara's.

The streets are mostly empty. Most honest folks are hiding indoors and peering through windows. You see a contingent of the guard running toward you at one point, but I presume you make way and they carry on past you - clearly with some other mission in mind. Later, off in the distance, you'll see a gang of dock workers carrying torches and rag-tag weapons shouting "Down with the Queen, long live the King!", but they move off in a different direction than yours.

You reach Zellara's without molestation or other incident, but it's clear that's luck as much as anything even considering the distance was short. Climbing the creaky old stair you see the door standing slightly ajar as before.

Entering the abode you find it empty. There is a layer of a few weeks dust on most surfaces, excepting where you yourselves were just a few short hours ago. There is no evidence of the food and wine that was here before, and no evidence that Zellara, or some unknown twin, has resided here in some time.

Then, with a flash, the room returns as it was before, the curtains gently swaying in the breeze, the strong smell of incense coming from a burner in the corner, and the flickering glow of candles set here and there.

Zellara stands in the middle of the room. She looks sad, but smiles when she sees Laura. "Oh good, I'm glad you were able to save her. She's such a precious child isn't she?"


Elf:
HP:113/113 AC: 21 (f17/t16)): K(Arc) +17, K(His) +7, K(Pl) +20, K(Rel) +20, Per +24, Sense +12, Spllcft +24/26

Briar tenses up, but then relaxes as he figures out Zellara's illusion.

"Commenable illusions, Zellara...to make this place seem empty and unused while you like within. Well done. It has kept you well protected from Lamm. We have returned with the head of your twin and recovered the Harrow Deck. Lamm is dead. You should be safe now. I can help you with the burial rites if you wish for your sister. The City oustide is chaos, so it might be better for us to wait until morning to do such."

Briar will put the hatbox on the table an step back.


Male Human (Per +18 | Fort +12 Ref +16 Will +12 | AC 24 (f 19/t 17)| CMD 30/f 25)

Barael, against his better judgment, walks over to Zellara, and tries to poke her with his finger, enough to reassure him.

If he makes physical contact, Barael says "Oh, you... You were right about Lamm's location, and his alligator too. Scary beast, that." He'll then wait to see how Zellara answers Briar.

If he doesn't make physical contact, Barael nervously chuckles and gets as close to the door as possible without leaving.


Male Human (Init +6 | Per +15 | Fort +16 Ref +15 Will +11* +1 enchant, +4 language & sonic | AC 31 (f25/t18) | CMD34*)

Fondo facepalms himself with the harrow deck as he hears Briar speak and watches Barael prod what he is sure is a ghost. He then places the wrapped cards on the dusty table and carefully unties them.

"I am sorry for the mortal harm that Lamm caused you, honored Zellara. I only hope that we can offer you what rest you desire. Here are your cards. Shall we send them with you?" Fondo's voice is almost that of a small boy addressing a favorite but disappointed aunt. He looks to Laura and Charlie, finding some reassurance in their presence.


"oh my." she says as she looks at the box. She looks to the ground a moment gathering strength, and doesn't notice Barael's hand go right through her.

"No, sir elf, it is not my sister. That is my head in that box. I'm not sure how exactly, but when I died my spirit inhabited my old harrow deck." she gestures to Fondo and the deck on the table.

"Now I'm trapped there, but willingly after a fashion I suppose. My efforts have indeed caused the end of Lamm, and I would do more to help my city. I love Korvosa, and the people here, and it seems to me that much might be done, but I cannot do them dead."

She thinks a moment and the room dims while her attention wavers.

"Perhaps I could help you and you could help the city! I can identify items you come across, and provide harrow readings for you from time to time as my energy allows. Maybe we could wor... t..r. and.. yes! You.."

She rushes on breathlessly, and much of what she says falters into a whisper and she fades from site. The musky incense smell disappears as do some of the wall hangings. The room dims and goes dark. The cards glow a moment and go dark as well their energy spent.


Male Human (Init +6 | Per +15 | Fort +16 Ref +15 Will +11* +1 enchant, +4 language & sonic | AC 31 (f25/t18) | CMD34*)

Fondo summons light back onto one of the dusty candles and wraps the harrow deck back up. I shall guard your spirit, godmother. Placing them back into one pocket or another, he says, "Well, my sister has died, as has this good woman. Laura here has doubltess not eaten for days, and the city is in disarray. What shall we do next?"


Male Human (Per +18 | Fort +12 Ref +16 Will +12 | AC 24 (f 19/t 17)| CMD 30/f 25)

Barael looks visibly relieved when light turns to dark, turns to light.

Shoanti:
"Do you need to touch the porcupine to know it pricks the finger? Your eyes were enough. They were enough."

"It'd do my heart good to see Laura sleeping soundly, with a full belly. Start with something small, something... manageable?" Barael examines the two unopened doors in the apartment, possibly for a bedroom. A place we can tuck the girl, while we worry about affairs of adults.

He heads back to the front door to examine its ability to be locked against the mayhem.

"I agree with Zellara. Korvosa raised me more than my mum, so maybe there's debt to be paid here. Zellara gave me Lamm, gave me some small peace. Now I'll do what little I might do to return the favor."

Where do we go for information about Korvosa's new unrest? Guard Street? Old Korvosa?
Knowledge(Local) 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27


Elf:
HP:113/113 AC: 21 (f17/t16)): K(Arc) +17, K(His) +7, K(Pl) +20, K(Rel) +20, Per +24, Sense +12, Spllcft +24/26

Briar takes a few steps back from the hatbox as the room returns to its natural state.

Ah...there is so much magic that I do not understand. And yet I am supposed to understand it and follow it. This is Zellara's final gift to me: renewing the wonder of what magic can achieve...even from the great beyond.

Briar backs up until he hits the corner of the room and slowly slides down into a sitting position.

Fondo Barondo wrote:
"What shall we do next?"

Briar begins to laugh aloud at Fondo's question...the first laugh he's heard since he met these people.

"What do we do next?! NEXT?! I think we do what every group of strangers do after they are been chosen by the spirit of the harrow-damned into murder then charged with protection of a City that is current in the midst of a civil war: WE REST!"

Briar's laugh slows.

"I can't imagine doing anything else. Certainly, I think we should be safe here for the night, but maybe we should set a watch anyway. On the morrow, with the sun and the night's fighting over, we might be able to make good decisions about what we should do next. I've been as long as any of you and I'm not sure I understand any more than any of you. So, let us rest and let the our minds work on the problems before us while we guard and restore our bodies."

Briar looks for a quiet place to lay out, then realizing that he is set up uncomfortably close to the hatbox and moves it to another room.

"Rest...on the morrow, things will be more clear."


Male Human (Init +6 | Per +15 | Fort +16 Ref +15 Will +11* +1 enchant, +4 language & sonic | AC 31 (f25/t18) | CMD34*)

"Aye. Well then, let us find a quiet spot for the little one."

Fondo joins Barael in scoping out Zellara's former home. Once they find a suitable resting spot for Laura, he sets about cleaning it... Magically.

The cards... Zellara's spirit... What have they awoken in me?

He remembers his mother, berating him for neglecting to clean the camp while he flirted with some pretty gadjo. "You've your uncle's lie about devilry about you, Fondo. I'll have none of it!"

Never did like the broom or the duster, but this... This works for me.

He summons a bit more of Zellara's incense into the air while he continues clearing up dust.


The flat is fairly large overall. One door leads to a kitchen and off that a large closet. There is food, though anything 'fresh' is two weeks old. The other door to a tiny hallway with two doors each leading to a reasonably sized bedroom - one clearly used by Zellara and the other her son.

Both rooms are relatively clean and take little of Fondo's ministrations to make quite homey. Laura climbs into Zellara's bed and quickly falls asleep unless someone stops her. Apparently her exhaustion overrides her hunger - or perhaps she's more used to the hunger.

Barael notes that the outer door does in fact lock with a dead bolt though the key is nowhere to be found.

Feel free to linger and discuss the days events, but nothing further intrudes until morning so you may all sleep (taking what precautions seem prudent) and awake refreshed late the next morning.

Throughout the night the noises of a city unhinged continue, though even they abate near morning and there's an hours peace just before dawn.

With the new day come new noises however and the town criers are heard repeating the news of the night before. The city rises again and there is commotion in the streets as Korvosa comes to grips, poorly, with the idea that their King is dead.


Elf:
HP:113/113 AC: 21 (f17/t16)): K(Arc) +17, K(His) +7, K(Pl) +20, K(Rel) +20, Per +24, Sense +12, Spllcft +24/26

Finally having some calm, Briar takes out the holy symbol of Nethys that his brother had left for him.

Speaking softly to those that would listen, he openly tells his story while holding out the holy symbol before him.

"Growing up, my brother...oh, my brother...he was so...so...strong in the ways of magic even though he denied the source of such. We elves, especially we Nirmathian elves, are strong in the ways of magic. We know the 3 sources of magic: divine, arcane, & pure mental energy. My brother was so strong in the divine arts...but denied them in his claims of arcane power."

Briar snorts derisively.

"The fool thought he had arcane power...and everyone knew it was divine. However...he had *SUCH* power...oh my brother could summon mighty balls of fire into his bare hands! He could summon and sway the elements at will. Mighty battle porpoises would heed his beck and call...but, even with his power, his dreams drove him from our village. We could handle neither his power nor his ego. He called himself 'the greatest mage ever' and so forth."

Briar dangles the holy symbol and spins it slowly around.

"We elves are usually quiet and reserved people. We don't usually go around calling ourselves the greatest anything, ever. No, Thorne, that was his name, Thorne didn't stay long after his power began to manifest...even with all the reverence he was given."

"I thought it would be good when he left for I might be given some attention and my gifts might be appreciated. Sadly, Thorne's leaving did just the opposite. People began to ask after him...and I was compared to his faded memory...and, strangely enough, in those memories his shortcomings were lessened and his powers were enhanced. I became even more neglected and minimized."

A small tear appears in Briar's eye.

"And that's not even the kicker. My father. My mother. My village elders have sent me, *ME*, to find Thorne here in Korvosa. My brother, who has never given me anything, nor caused me anything but trouble is the one I am tasked to seek. And THAT is the kicker! And now I've found a piece of him...after months of searching and it tells me to stay in Korvosa and find the magic. Follow the magic. What crap!"

"I neither want nor wish this," Briar seethes.

Briar rises to his feet and throws the holy symbol against the wall.

The symbol hits against the wall with a crack of arcane energy and pops back into Briar's hand.

Frustrated, Briar tries it again. "GET AWAY!" as he again hurls in anger.

The holy symbol again strikes the wall and instantly returns to Briar's hand.

Briar stares at the holy symbol for a moment before slowly calming down, somewhat embarrassed.

"See? He curses me," Briar says with a whisper.

Reluctantly and failed, Briar returns to his sitting position, holding the holy symbol in his hands, pondering it.


Male Human (PER +6 | FORT+15 REF+9 WILL+11 | AC 26 (F24, T14) CMD28)

Nikolay enters Zellara's and smiles as events unfold.

The elf makes no sense to me. If anyone, I thought he would understand the magic unfolding tonight.

---

"Thank you Zellara for your trust in us. Though many of us were unable to resolve our own issues with Lamm, the world is clearly a better place."

"Do you know anything of the events unfolding outside? Forgive my ego, but I find it unlikely that it is only coincidence that the king died on this magical night."

---

With no one at home to rush to, Nikolay settles down for the night.

The city burns, but all I know is peace. A strange and wonderous night indeed.


Male Human (Init +6 | Per +15 | Fort +16 Ref +15 Will +11* +1 enchant, +4 language & sonic | AC 31 (f25/t18) | CMD34*)

Fondo listens readily enough to Briar's story, distracting himself only briefly to whisper to Dandilion, "Perhaps you could share Lorah's room this eve, jel'enedra. I'd hate to have her wake alone in a strange place." The way Esmira must have many times before Lamm fed her to...

Once Briar finishes, he says, "Aye, I'd an older brother as well. Spoke quite highly of himself. Fancied himself a catch for the ladies. Long spear, he'd say. Disappeared to the Mwangi Expanse many moons ago. Thought I'd feel better about him bein' gone, but now that Esmira's..." He chokes up. Why wasn't I there for her?


Male Half Elf (PER +8 | FORT+7 REF+5 WILL+13 | AC 23 (F23, T10) CMD10) Luckstone

"If this is the "end of the world", let's go out with a bang. You wizardly cleaners why don't you fix up this room. Put all the food we have on the table here. I'll fill up the water cistern (if there is one) and go find some alcohol to loot."

perception on the walk in to find some booze behind a window. (Poor Charlie has gone without for many hours now and it will soon become a desperate situation.) 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14

Charlie then casts create water in some clean (can someone prestidigitate these?) containers.


Male Human (PER +6 | FORT+15 REF+9 WILL+11 | AC 26 (F24, T14) CMD28)

Nikolay looks sternly at Charlie. "'To loot', Charlie? A poor choice of words given the circumstances. I assume you mean laying about here. I don't know you or your ties to dear Korsova, but I hope you would not count yourself among the vultures that pick at her tonight."

351 to 400 of 11,585 << first < prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Curse of the Crimson Throne Campaign All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.